Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #1291
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslue View Post
Thanks for the info!
These last two drives don't have the same "good for DVR" marketing that the DB35 series does. I guess that doesn't matter?
Both the WD and the new Seagate drives are very quiet and run cool. Those are the key points for TiVo users. TiVo is unable to take advantage of the other "DVR features" that the DB35 and Hitachi CinemaStar drives offer.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #1292
bbache

Thanks for the extensive feedback, Rich. It's not fun to be the first on the block with a new problem. I'll try your suggestions and let you know how it turns out.

Bill
bbache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #1293
robostock

FWIW, my first WD10EVCS was shipped DOA from Buy.com. If you have narrowed it down to be your HD then be sure which route too take.

I sent mine back and it took a total of 30 days to get it back.
or
Send it back to WD and get a refurb in 2 weeks.

Good luck!
robostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #1294
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by robostock View Post
FWIW, my first WD10EVCS was shipped DOA from Buy.com. If you have narrowed it down to be your HD then be sure which route too take.

I sent mine back and it took a total of 30 days to get it back.
or
Send it back to WD and get a refurb in 2 weeks.

Good luck!
Good point...I forgot about that. Agreed, if purchased on line, getting a replacement from WD is the way to go.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #1295
bbache

I attached the MX-1 via USB to a Windows XP laptop and ran WD's DLGDIAG for Windows. The test sees the drive as a physical drive, but I get a cable error the instant the test starts. Specifically, the error message is: "Cable Test::Read diagnostics sector error!" (Not a typo -- there's a double colon.) After clicking OK, the test report says: "Cable test failed! Please check the cables." Tried two different USB cables; same result. Uninstalled and reinstalled the WD10EVCS. Same results. (I wanted to attach screen shots, but I don't know how.)

DLGDIAG doesn't see the drive as a logical drive, by the way. Should it?

I didn't bother trying a second eSATA cable with the TiVo Series3 -- it was recording something I don't want to miss. At this point, I assume the enclosure is defective and I've notified both Antec and ANTonline.com, where I bought it.

Thanks for the help, fellas. Sure is nice not to be out in the cold all alone. Say, Rich, I see you're in Lake Oswego. We lived there for 20 years before downsizing to North Portland two years ago.

Bill
bbache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #1296
richsadams

Hey there Bill. Glad (sort of) to hear that you've found the problem. It does sound like the enclosure, probably the bridge, is the source of TiVo's (and your) woes. The MX-1 has a pretty good track record here, but there's bound to be a dud once in a while I suppose.

I'm not sure about the program's drive recognition. It may have something to do with the drive being reformatted by TiVo when it's connected.

Small world...there are actually quite a few folks from this area on the forum. I think we're all more interested in when summer will appear than TiVo right about now.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #1297
jgkurz

My Book Standby Issue

Hi All, I just upgraded my Tivo HD (6.3) so I could hook up any eSata drive. I followed Part III, #10 of this FAQ.

I decided to try the 1TB WD My Book from Costco. So far everything works well except the drive goes into standby after 10 minutes of activity. When I wake up in the morning the Tivo is always hung in the "Powering Up" screen. I noticed that the blue light on the My Book drive is off at this point. To fix the problem I unplug the Tivo, press the soft power switch on the My Book so the blue light on the front of the drive comes back on. I then plug the Tivo back in. Using this procedure it always restarts fine.

Now that I have recordings on the drive I'm thinking about cracking the My Book case and putting the drive in an eSata case that always has power applied.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Thank you.
jgkurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #1298
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgkurz View Post
Hi All, I just upgraded my Tivo HD (6.3) so I could hook up any eSata drive. I followed Part III, #10 of this FAQ.

I decided to try the 1TB WD My Book from Costco. So far everything works well except the drive goes into standby after 10 minutes of activity. When I wake up in the morning the Tivo is always hung in the "Powering Up" screen. I noticed that the blue light on the My Book drive is off at this point. To fix the problem I unplug the Tivo, press the soft power switch on the My Book so the blue light on the front of the drive comes back on. I then plug the Tivo back in. Using this procedure it always restarts fine.

Now that I have recordings on the drive I'm thinking about cracking the My Book case and putting the drive in an eSata case that always has power applied.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Thank you.
Well...I guess my thoughts are you shouldn't have tried to use that particular drive. Section III #6 of the first post/FAQ specifically says that the WD My Book series of external drives do not work with TiVo. If you were bored enough to look back over this thread you'd find that a number of folks here tried them several months ago without success. Speculation was that there was a problem with that drive's three-way bridge (USB/Firewire/eSATA) that TiVo refused to deal with.

That it worked at all is quite surprising! To me it says that they've changed something on it. That it's still failing at some point also says that whatever they changed, it wasn't enough.

Hard drives often have firmware that will cause them to spin down after a set idle period...they go to sleep when they haven't had any activity for a while. That's good for the environment, but obviously bad for TiVo. It appears that the My Book drive you have goes into "standby". Computers can send a "wake up call" to hard drives. TiVo doesn't have that ability. Moving that drive to another case will probably not resolve the powering off problem as the instructions would be in the drive's firmware; nothing to do with the enclosure. It would also void the warranty.

My advice would be to properly divorce it (unplug TiVo, remove the drive, plug TiVo back in and follow the screen instructions) and return the unit to Costco. (Yes, you will loose any recordings made from the point you installed the eSATA drive, but any earlier recordings will remain.) Then I'd recommend reading all of the pertinent information on the first post of this thread and proceed from there. If you want a 1TB external you can choose from several on the recommended list and put it into an Antec MX-1 enclosure.

My two cents? Don't waste your time and money on external drives. You're obviously bright enough to upgrade the internal drive using WinMFS. The small amount of additional space you get from the pathetic TiVo HD drive isn't worth having IMHO. So buy one of the bare drives on the recommended list and upgrade the internal drive. Put the original drive on the shelf for safe-keeping. If anything ever goes wrong you can always put it back in and have an operating TiVo in no time. If you find that 1TB isn't enough you can always marry an external drive to it with a couple of clicks in the WinMFS program.

BTW...did you notice that bright orange object in the sky today? Might be a good idea to get outside and enjoy it while we can!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #1299
jgkurz

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Well...I guess my thoughts are you shouldn't have tried to use that particular drive. Section III #6 of the first post/FAQ specifically says that the WD My Book series of external drives do not work with TiVo. If you were bored enough to look back over this thread you'd find that a number of folks here tried them several months ago without success. Speculation was that there was a problem with that drive's three-way bridge (USB/Firewire/eSATA) that TiVo refused to deal with.

That it worked at all is quite surprising! To me it says that they've changed something on it. That it's still failing at some point also says that whatever they changed, it wasn't enough.

Hard drives often have firmware that will cause them to spin down after a set idle period...they go to sleep when they haven't had any activity for a while. That's good for the environment, but obviously bad for TiVo. It appears that the My Book drive you have goes into "standby". Computers can send a "wake up call" to hard drives. TiVo doesn't have that ability. Moving that drive to another case will probably not resolve the powering off problem as the instructions would be in the drive's firmware; nothing to do with the enclosure. It would also void the warranty.

My advice would be to properly divorce it (unplug TiVo, remove the drive, plug TiVo back in and follow the screen instructions) and return the unit to Costco. (Yes, you will loose any recordings made from the point you installed the eSATA drive, but any earlier recordings will remain.) Then I'd recommend reading all of the pertinent information on the first post of this thread and proceed from there. If you want a 1TB external you can choose from several on the recommended list and put it into an Antec MX-1 enclosure.

My two cents? Don't waste your time and money on external drives. You're obviously bright enough to upgrade the internal drive using WinMFS. The small amount of additional space you get from the pathetic TiVo HD drive isn't worth having IMHO. So buy one of the bare drives on the recommended list and upgrade the internal drive. Put the original drive on the shelf for safe-keeping. If anything ever goes wrong you can always put it back in and have an operating TiVo in no time. If you find that 1TB isn't enough you can always marry an external drive to it with a couple of clicks in the WinMFS program.

BTW...did you notice that bright orange object in the sky today? Might be a good idea to get outside and enjoy it while we can!
Just got home from the Portland Beavers game. I bought the tickets earlier this week hoping for good weather. Wow did we luck out.

Anyways, back to business. I thought I'd read and searched extensively on adding a non-approved external drive to my Tivo HD. Apparently I missed the thread that said the My Book drives don't work even if get it to connect. I also think you hit the nail on the head regarding the issue being the drive firmware and not the enclosure. I just purchased a new LCD 52" and wanted to record as much HD as possible. The 160GB drive ran out of room quickly. I'm not sure what I'll do next, but it will probably include returning the 1TB My Book drive to Costco since I have all the original packing.

Thanks for the response.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #1300
drcos
HD where available

Is there a replacement for the WD10EVCS? This drive is not in stock anywhere (that I would buy from), and one vendor indicates the drive is discontinued.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #1301
jgkurz

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos View Post
Is there a replacement for the WD10EVCS? This drive is not in stock anywhere (that I would buy from), and one vendor indicates the drive is discontinued.
I couldn't find one either. Everyone is out of stock. I took that as a bad sign and purchased this "approved" drive.

http://www.lagoom.com/Hitachi_1TB_3....id-574706.html
Old 05-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #1302
richsadams

Western Digital's WD10EVCS line of DVR drives is brand new more-or-less. We saw the same "shortage" when they first introduced the WD10EACS last year. Everyone had them and then no one could get them. Retailers tend to error on the side of caution when stocking a new product...not knowing how high the demand will be. The same issue occurred with Antec's MX-1 enclosures but they are plentiful now as well.

The Hitachi is a good choice and so is the new Seagate 1TB (although they are also sold out on line, all of our Best Buy's show them in stock). Samsung makes a nice drive as well. If you're wanting one of the new WD AV GP drives, hang in there...I suspect there will be plenty in the coming weeks once production and inventory catch up.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #1303
richsadams

Quote:
Anyways, back to business. I thought I'd read and searched extensively on adding a non-approved external drive to my Tivo HD. Apparently I missed the thread that said the My Book drives don't work even if get it to connect. I also think you hit the nail on the head regarding the issue being the drive firmware and not the enclosure. I just purchased a new LCD 52" and wanted to record as much HD as possible. The 160GB drive ran out of room quickly. I'm not sure what I'll do next, but it will probably include returning the 1TB My Book drive to Costco since I have all the original packing.

Thanks for the response.
Sounds good Bill. Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

(Go Beavers!)
Old 05-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #1304
m-hdtv

AAM with SATA->USB

Will the Hitachi Feature Tool allow adjustment of a WD drive using the SATA->USB adapter? I only have a laptop and want to make the adjustment.
m-hdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #1305
jlib
Lean Forward

No, but you can use any Linux boot disk and the hdparm command.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #1306
andy_hd

My experience has been that the 'hdparm' command will not work over a USB -> SATA link. I don't have a native SATA PC, so I'm also looking for a solution to this issue.
andy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:35 PM   #1307
andy_hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
No, but you can use any Linux boot disk and the hdparm command.
Well I followed this link and while simontiki claims to have success, I was never able to make this work. Over at mfslive, Spike also says it won't work:

Spike
mfslive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote
You can't set AAM via USB adaper.
You will have to use IDE or SATA connection.

andy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:28 PM   #1308
jgkurz

Quote:

(Go Beavers!)
Who is Bill....? I usually go by John
Old 05-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #1309
richsadams

Quote:
Who is Bill....? I usually go by John
Bill? Who the h**l is Bill anyway? I said John didn't I?

No offense Bill.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #1310
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_hd View Post
My experience has been that the 'hdparm' command will not work over a USB -> SATA link. I don't have a native SATA PC, so I'm also looking for a solution to this issue.
I was relying on this comment regarding success. I have not personally done it so those who actually claim to have success should chime in. Why does spike list the hdparm command for USB drives in his docs if he says it doesn't work over USB?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #1311
rlawlis

WinMFS won't attach original tivoHD drive and now drive won't run when back in tivoHD

Help.

Trying to copy original drive from 160gb TivoHD to 1tb seagate.

Using WinMFS latest version, beta 8, MS XP Pro sp3, I tried connecting the original tivoHD drive both through a serial ata port and a usb 2.0 port. In both cases I get same WinMFS error message when I try to pick the 160gb TivoHD drive:

Error 7 "Wrong tivo partition signature!".

Winmfs has no trouble "seeing" the drive, its capacity: 160gb, interface type, os type:tivo, etc. whatever shows up on the pick screen.

At a complete loss.

More bad news.

I put the original Tivo drive back in the TivoHD and now the TivoHD just cycles between the "power up" and "just a few minutes more" screens.

I don't know what the boot sequence is for this machine but I suspect that the power up cycle reads from solid state memory and then does a drive seek at the few minutes more screen. At which point the os can't read the drive and does a power cycle.

How do I get the drive back?

Thanks,

R Lawlis
rlawlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #1312
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawlis View Post
Help.

Trying to copy original drive from 160gb TivoHD to 1tb seagate.

Using WinMFS latest version, beta 8, MS XP Pro sp3, I tried connecting the original tivoHD drive both through a serial ata port and a usb 2.0 port. In both cases I get same WinMFS error message when I try to pick the 160gb TivoHD drive:

Error 7 "Wrong tivo partition signature!".

Winmfs has no trouble "seeing" the drive, its capacity: 160gb, interface type, os type:tivo, etc. whatever shows up on the pick screen.

At a complete loss.

More bad news.

I put the original Tivo drive back in the TivoHD and now the TivoHD just cycles between the "power up" and "just a few minutes more" screens.

I don't know what the boot sequence is for this machine but I suspect that the power up cycle reads from solid state memory and then does a drive seek at the few minutes more screen. At which point the os can't read the drive and does a power cycle.

How do I get the drive back?

Thanks,

R Lawlis
Sounds like xp may have messed up the "boot sector"(my wording).

Winmfs instructions have a couple of methods of possibly correcting this. One method is if you have backed up this "boot sector" , near when you first connected to pc. There is also another method(I think) if you have not done the back up. It's there in the online guide. Just read it thoroughly. Correct term is "boot page". This "other" method is the Fix Bootpage Tool.

Remember, when you connect the Tivo to the pc, the very first thing you should do is to make the truncated backup of the Tivo drive. You really should not do anything else until this is done. That way, worst case scenario, you have your (working)Tivo image to restore to the drive if something goes awry.

Good luck. Hope things work out. Keep us posted.

"...Mounting drives
There are numerous discussions on why connecting a TiVo drive to a Windows machine is bad because it will make the drive not boot. It's partly true. Older Windows OS versions like 2000 did auto mount a drive and assigned a letter if you booted the drive even though it's not mounted. This behavior is changed since Windows 2000 sp2 or later so rest assured. Even if that happens, all it does it overwrite TiVo bootpage which is on sector 0, or first 512 bytes of the hard drive with Windows version of MBR. You can easily fix that problem with the included "Fix Bootpage" tool. You can also backup your bootpage with the backup option.
..."
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 05-08-2008 at 08:23 PM.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #1313
rlawlis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Sounds like xp may have messed up the "boot sector"(my wording). .. One method is if you have backed up this "boot sector" , near when you first connected to pc. There is also another method(I think) if you have not done the back up. It's there in the online guide. Just read it thoroughly. Correct term is "boot page". This "other" method is the Fix Bootpage Tool...Remember, when you connect the Tivo to the pc, the very first thing you should do is to make the truncated backup of the Tivo drive....
These sound like good places to start but it's difficult to make a backup if the application won't let you pick the drive you want to backup or fix. I can't get past the WinMFS "Select Drive" dialog. All I did was 1) attach drive to XP machine, 2) boot xp, 3) run WinMFS, 4) Select Drive. 5) read error message. If you cannot select the tivo drive you cannot get to any of the backup of fix tool dialogs in WinMFS.

Maybe the linux version can repair the drive. Any ideas out there?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #1314
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawlis View Post
These sound like good places to start but it's difficult to make a backup if the application won't let you pick the drive you want to backup or fix. I can't get past the WinMFS "Select Drive" dialog. All I did was 1) attach drive to XP machine, 2) boot xp, 3) run WinMFS, 4) Select Drive. 5) read error message. If you cannot select the tivo drive you cannot get to any of the backup of fix tool dialogs in WinMFS.

Maybe the linux version can repair the drive. Any ideas out there?
That was just a warning for the future and anyone else that plans on connecting a Tivo drive to a PC.

Read down the guide for the "Fix Boot Page Tool" procedure. It may yet correct the matter. This is the original drive we're talking about here.

Also, there are forums there at mfslive.org and the developer there(Spike) usually, eventually responds and posts.

"Fix Bootpage Option 1 & 2

If Tivo bootpage is damaged, use this tool to fix it. There is option 1 & 2 as there is no way of knowing which partitions are active. So you have 50/50 chance of guessing it right. Try option 1 and see if it boots up properly and has the correct software. If not try option2."
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 05-08-2008 at 09:55 PM.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:30 AM   #1315
ilh

I have saved the original boot page from my THD made with WinMFS. PM me if you want it.

--Lee
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:48 AM   #1316
husky55

Just for info. Winmfs works fine in my WinXP Pro-SP3. My Sata drives were configured as AHCI instead of IDE .

However, when I upgraded the Tivo HD, my XP was SP2. Just installed SP3 yesterday.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #1317
rlawlis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilh View Post
I have saved the original boot page from my THD made with WinMFS. PM me if you want it.

--Lee
Thanks but according to Spike the partition table somehow got blown. So now I either have to find an original tivoHD disk to copy or learn to use pdisk to reconstruct it. Anyone know where I can find pdisk help?
Old 05-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #1318
bomberjim

I've read through alot of the information here but still have several questions.

1. I'm considering doing an internal drive upgrade on a Tivo HD. I'd like to put in a 500GB drive as that seems to be the sweet spot price wise and would meet my needs. The "approved" list of drives is a little light on 500GB models, and I'm not really interested in one of the "AV" models. Is this drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136149 acceptable for use?

2. I'd also like to use a USB to SATA adapter. New Egg has several available, can I just go with the cheapest one? One of the ones that was referenced previously in this thread is no longer available.
bomberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #1319
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjim View Post
I've read through alot of the information here but still have several questions.

1. I'm considering doing an internal drive upgrade on a Tivo HD. I'd like to put in a 500GB drive as that seems to be the sweet spot price wise and would meet my needs. The "approved" list of drives is a little light on 500GB models, and I'm not really interested in one of the "AV" models. Is this drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136149 acceptable for use?

2. I'd also like to use a USB to SATA adapter. New Egg has several available, can I just go with the cheapest one? One of the ones that was referenced previously in this thread is no longer available.
AFAIK no one here has tried using that particular drive, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. Before installing it you should probably lower the automatic acoustical settings from the stock setting to 128 using the Hitachi Feature Tool. That will make the drive run much quieter (w/o affecting the performance.)

With regard to the USB to SATA adapter, you usually get what you pay for so I wouldn't skimp. Are you using a laptop? If not, most PC's less than a few years old have at least four SATA connectors on the mother board. Using a regular SATA cable (very inexpensive) to connect your drives directly to your PC's MB is a much better way to go. Keep in mind that the drive you've mentioned is "OEM", which means it doesn't come with any cables at all...power, SATA, etc. so you'd need to buy those separately. You may be able to find the retail/boxed version of the same drive locally and that will have both SATA and power cables.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Old 05-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #1320
jgkurz

Quote:
I decided to copy the incompatible My Book drive to an Antec MX-1 with a Hitachi 1TB Cinemastar using dd-rescue. I posted additional details here:

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...29#post6269529

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...20#post6269420