TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #1261
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias85018 View Post
I have a Series3 Tivo & a Best Buy gift certificate.

I have seen people post many options for increasing the size of their Tivo on this thread but left with a few questions.

Since I am "Stuck" at purchasing at Best Buy, I have only certain choices to increase my Tivo

1) My DVR Expanader (500GB)
2) Some replacment of my original INTERNAL 250GB SATA drive.

I think I would rather swap out the Internal 250GB with a 1T and put the 250GB in a safe place. Would everyone agree that if I don't mind the extra work, this is the best option?

My question is:

1) What drives are compatible to replace the INTERNAL Series 3 drive, again stuck at purchasing at Best Buy. I see several WD drives on their site, can't find the "WD10EVCS".

Thanks so much to reading,

Gary
Welcome to the forum. dwit, husky and others have given good advice here. I've tried both and agree that swapping out the internal drive and putting the original on the shelf is the way to go.

Any of the drives listed in Section III, #27 on the first post/FAQ of this thread will work as an internal drive upgrade for your TiVo Series3 as well.

This new Seagate 1TB drive may be a good option
. Based on posts by early adopters it runs cool and one member reported that it was quieter than his original TiVo drive.

If you're comfortable with removing and replacing a hard drive in your PC, using WinMFS to upgrade your TiVo is a snap. You should have plenty of space on your TiVo in no time.

Good luck and keep us posted!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:46 AM   #1262
nrnoble

Can't add extrenal FreeAgent Pro (750GB) after upgrading internal drive

Problem: Can't add extrenal FreeAgent Pro (750GB) after upgrading internal drive

This weekend I upgraded my internal drive to 1TB (from DVRupgrades). Works perfectly; Sys info says I have 144 HD Hours.

Then....

I've tried several times to add the FreeAgent external drive. This drive worked before upgrading. Sys Info shows the FreeDrive as connected and I get the "Message" screen asking me if I want to add it as an (unsupported) storage device, but after doing 3 thumbs down, are you really really sure? the system reboots the S3 but does not have any special setup screen that adds the extrenal drive.

Any ideas why the S3 sees the extrenal HDD, but does not add it as storage device?
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:56 AM   #1263
dwit

nrnoble said:
Quote:
Any ideas why the S3 sees the extrenal HDD, but does not add it as storage device?
Pretty sure if you check the basics of this topic(first page), it will explain that you cannot add an external drive to an internal that has been expanded in the same way as if the internal was stock.

In effect, with an already expanded internal, you now have to marry the two drives with mfs procedures(winmfs or mfslive cd) using a pc.
This procedure is explained at mfslive.org(if not also on first page).
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 04-28-2008 at 04:04 AM.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #1264
UnitPrime

Ok, now that Tivo has rolled out the newest versions of the software that "should have" merged the two branches of HD (S3 & HD) does anyone know if the ~2tb total storage limit has been increased for the S3?
UnitPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #1265
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitPrime View Post
Ok, now that Tivo has rolled out the newest versions of the software that "should have" merged the two branches of HD (S3 & HD) does anyone know if the ~2tb total storage limit has been increased for the S3?
Welcome to the forum.

IIRC the 2.2TB limit isn't a function of the software version, but the model itself, based on software and hardware. AFAIK THD's and S3's are still differentiated in a number of ways including the P&P expansion abilities, etc. whatever software version they're running.

Spike at MFSLive may be able to clarify on their forum.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #1266
Elias85018

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Welcome to the forum. dwit, husky and others have given good advice here. I've tried both and agree that swapping out the internal drive and putting the original on the shelf is the way to go.

Any of the drives listed in Section III, #27 on the first post/FAQ of this thread will work as an internal drive upgrade for your TiVo Series3 as well.

This new Seagate 1TB drive may be a good option
. Based on posts by early adopters it runs cool and one member reported that it was quieter than his original TiVo drive.

If you're comfortable with removing and replacing a hard drive in your PC, using WinMFS to upgrade your TiVo is a snap. You should have plenty of space on your TiVo in no time.

Good luck and keep us posted!
I just picked up the Seagate drive you recommended (ST310005N1A1AS-RK) at Best Buy ($189.95).

Everything worked fine. New drive is now in the S3 Tivo and the recording limts are
HD: 131 Hours and
SD: 1244 Hours.

The Seagate is running a little cooler than the stock WD250. Not but much, maybe 5-degrees F. The temp was taken with an infrared thermometer during the 1 hour transfer of data. The drive seems just as quiet, no noticeable difference.

Thanks for you help Rich, I'll keep you posted!

Gary
Elias85018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #1267
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias85018 View Post
I just picked up the Seagate drive you recommended (ST310005N1A1AS-RK) at Best Buy ($189.95).

Everything worked fine. New drive is now in the S3 Tivo and the recording limts are
HD: 131 Hours and
SD: 1244 Hours.

The Seagate is running a little cooler than the stock WD250. Not but much, maybe 5-degrees F. The temp was taken with an infrared thermometer during the 1 hour transfer of data. The drive seems just as quiet, no noticeable difference.

Thanks for you help Rich, I'll keep you posted!

Gary
Great to hear...nice job and thanks for the details about that drive. Not many are in use yet but they look like a very good option.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #1268
lrhorer

File System

Quote:
IIRC the 2.2TB limit isn't a function of the software version, but the model itself, based on software and hardware.
No, it's entirely a matter of the file system. The TiVo HD employs a 64 bit MFS file system. The S3 employs a 32 bit MFS file system, which limits the total drive size to 2.2TB. There is no particular reason why the 64 Bit file system could not run on an S3, but converting from MFS 32 to MFS 64 on the fly would be extremely problematical.

Quote:
AFAIK THD's and S3's are still differentiated in a number of ways including the P&P expansion abilities, etc. whatever software version they're running.
They are, but this particular feature is an aspect only of the kernel and the file system format.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #1269
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
No, it's entirely a matter of the file system. The TiVo HD employs a 64 bit MFS file system. The S3 employs a 32 bit MFS file system, which limits the total drive size to 2.2TB. There is no particular reason why the 64 Bit file system could not run on an S3, but converting from MFS 32 to MFS 64 on the fly would be extremely problematical.

They are, but this particular feature is an aspect only of the kernel and the file system format.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #1270
JayBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
Now I need to start over, taking my TiVo HD apart again, in order to marry the replacement external drive to the drive inside the TiVo. According to mfslive.org, at least with earlier versions of the TiVo software you have to run fixdivorce before trying to add a new B drive after using TiVo's built-in divorce process. I don't know if you still need to do that for the 9.3 software though. Does anybody know?
I got no answer regarding fixdivorce, so I just went ahead and ran it before marrying the replacement external drive, and that worked just fine. I also missed the supersize step last time around, but did it this time, so that gave me another 20 hours of HD, for a total of 218 hours of HD (750GB+750GB).

And, the replacement external drive is working much better (and quieter) than the original, which is now packed and ready to be sent back to Seagate for replacement.
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #1271
bchen7106

Hey all, so I've got a Tivo HD and am interested in upgrading the hard drive. I read the faq in the beginning, but noticed that it was written some time ago.

I was just wondering if there has been any difference in the way people are adding eSATA drives (forgive me, I just can't read through the 40 pages of postings).

Is there a general concensus on which hard drive and enclosure people like? I'm looking for a hard drive that is first and foremost quiet.

Also, to remove the existing internal hard drive, what is this special screw driver that you're supposed to use? Do I really need to go to an auto store to buy a special screw driver?

THanks.
bchen7106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #1272
bchen7106

Oh and another quick question. My computer has SATA ports, but I don't see anything labeled eSATA. It's fairly new (like 1 year old). Do I still need to get a USB to SATA converter? Or is eSATA and SATA interchangeable?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #1273
husky55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchen7106 View Post
Oh and another quick question. My computer has SATA ports, but I don't see anything labeled eSATA. It's fairly new (like 1 year old). Do I still need to get a USB to SATA converter? Or is eSATA and SATA interchangeable?
1. The FAQ is excellent and mostly accurate and up to date.

2. Read the FAQ again, you DO need the screwdriver it refers to with the proper size.

3. SATA is for internal connection. ESATA is for external connection, i.e. your external enclosure. They have different connector and design, however there are converters which allow ESATA to plug into the internal SATA connector.

4. You do not need to buy USB converter if you know how to connect SATA connector inside your computer.

5. Read the FAQ. I did.

6. Proceed carefully.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:08 AM   #1274
bchen7106

Thanks for the fast response.

I'm just debating between just buying the stupid western digital DVR extender and doing it myself. I'm leaving to get married next monday and I'll be gone for almost 2 weeks. I don't want stuff to get backed up on my Tivo but I'm in kind of a time crunch to get this done quick.

I'd settle for the WD DVR extender, but it just bothers me that I can get a bigger drive for cheaper that I can also use for other things if I ever need to in the future. I'm just a little turned off by the extra things I'll need to buy (special screwdriver, SATA to eSATA converter).
Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #1275
husky55

Quote:

I'm just debating between just buying the stupid western digital DVR extender and doing it myself. I'm leaving to get married next monday and I'll be gone for almost 2 weeks. I don't want stuff to get backed up on my Tivo but I'm in kind of a time crunch to get this done quick.

I'd settle for the WD DVR extender, but it just bothers me that I can get a bigger drive for cheaper that I can also use for other things if I ever need to in the future. I'm just a little turned off by the extra things I'll need to buy (special screwdriver, SATA to eSATA converter).
What are you doing messing with TIVO if you are getting married next Monday. Tivo will be there when you get back. There is no hurry, is there? I would suggest turn off Suggestions as it will fill your Tivo with shows it think you want to watch and will fill your HD in no time.

As I said, you have no need to buy any converter if you have worked inside your computer before. The WD DVR Extender is not a bad solution.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #1276
richsadams

Quote:

Husky's given you some good advice.

My two cents? Don't bother with an expansion drive. If you have about an hour or so you can easily replace your TiVo's internal drive by following the directions for the WinMFS program which is free from MFSLive.org. You'll simply download the program to your PC, connect your TiVo's hard drive and your new hard drive to your computer's mother board via normal SATA cables. (You likely have four to eight SATA connectors on your PC's MB.) Once connected open WinMFS and follow the steps. It may seem daunting, but it's really quite simple. It will take more time to remove and replace the hard drive. Running the program takes about five minutes. (A bit more if you want to copy over all of your recordings.)

Any of the recommended hard drives listed in the first post are good choices...and even the 1TB's are going for less than $200 now. Put TiVo's original drive on the shelf for safe keeping. Should something go wrong, you can always put it back in later.

BTW Torx screwdrivers are very common...auto parts stores, Sears, etc., they all have them for a couple of dollars, just get the right size (T10 IIRC).

As mentioned, the WD MY DVR Expander is a fine alternative as well. But if you're like me you'll eventually want more space. Might as well do it now...for less!

Congrats on getting hitched, and let us know how it goes. (With TiVo...although honeymoon details are always welcome here. )
Old 05-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #1277
UnitPrime

I have an S3 with the original drive to which I have added a 500gb esata drive with an external esata case - I want to update the internal drive to a 1tb and upgrade the external to 1tb (or better), Using two 500/640 gb drives via this external esata raid controller.

Is this possible? I am looking to preserve the shows that I have recorded on the tivo.

So, the task would be
a) internal 250gb ---> internal 1tb
b) external 500gb ---> external 1tb or 1.28tb raid 0 via raid controller

Am I SoL or is there a way using MFSLive or MFSTools?
UnitPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #1278
thomaslue

I have an S3 with the factory hard drive and I need more room. I am considering paying $200 for the 500 GB "My DVR Expander," but I have second thoughts when I see deals like this: Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB eSATA / USB 2.0 / FireWire External Hard Drive for $126 + $11 s&h.
What to do?
thomaslue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #1279
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslue View Post
I have an S3 with the factory hard drive and I need more room. I am considering paying $200 for the 500 GB "My DVR Expander," but I have second thoughts when I see deals like this: Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB eSATA / USB 2.0 / FireWire External Hard Drive for $126 + $11 s&h.
What to do?

(Seagate Recertified)

...and does not have a fan. Those two together may raise longevity questions for some. Especially the recertified. That said, I do use this Seagate with my pc. It is silent and cool.

Might be better to just buy a drive and enclosure(Antec MX-1) if you don't use the expander.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #1280
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitPrime View Post
I have an S3 with the original drive to which I have added a 500gb esata drive with an external esata case - I want to update the internal drive to a 1tb and upgrade the external to 1tb (or better), Using two 500/640 gb drives via this external esata raid controller.

Is this possible? I am looking to preserve the shows that I have recorded on the tivo.

So, the task would be
a) internal 250gb ---> internal 1tb
b) external 500gb ---> external 1tb or 1.28tb raid 0 via raid controller

Am I SoL or is there a way using MFSLive or MFSTools?
Ths is a good news / bad news scenario. The SiI5744 chip is exactly the kind of RAID 0 controller that should work with the S3 but since you are the first you will be a pioneer of sorts. In other words, there is no reason the ESU2DSATA10 Bridgeboard should not work but there is no confirmation from users here yet. Note that your PC will need an eSATA port or else you will need a SATA/eSATA cable to connect to PC's SATA port to setup your external drive.

The preservation of your recordings on the external drive is what is problematic. You should have no problem upgrading the internal drive and the ESU2DSATA10 on the surface seems compatible with the eSATA port but the whole process of upgrading is going to cause the loss of data on your current external drive. This is why most veteran upgraders recommend upgrading the internal drive to maximum capacity first. Most people soon exhaust the 500GB external drive if they start archiving anything.

See richadam's post a few messages back with the tip to use TiVo Desktop to backup recordings. Or maybe have a marathon weekend to get caught up.

Also note that the WD10EVCS (make that WD10EACS) drive should not be used internally on the S3 to upgrade.

Last edited by jlib : 05-01-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typo
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #1281
dwit

Quote:
Jlib said: ...note that the WD10EVCS drive should not be used internally on the S3 to upgrade.
Are you confusing it with the WD10EACS? EVcs is listed as recommended internal/external in FAQ #27(1st post).
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #1282
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Are you confusing it with the WD10EACS? EVcs is listed as recommended internal/external in FAQ #27(1st post).
Aaak! Indeed I am. Thank you for the correction.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #1283
thomaslue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
(Seagate Recertified)

...and does not have a fan. Those two together may raise longevity questions for some. Especially the recertified. That said, I do use this Seagate with my pc. It is silent and cool.

Might be better to just buy a drive and enclosure(Antec MX-1) if you don't use the expander.
OK, I'll bite: What drive mechanism is recommended to go into the Antec MX-1?
Old 05-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #1284
richsadams

Quote:
OK, I'll bite: What drive mechanism is recommended to go into the Antec MX-1?
Everything you need to know is included in the very first post of this thread. Specific recommended drives are listed in Section III, #27.

Have fun and if you get stuck anywhere, feel free to ask questions!

BTW, I ran a Seagate DB35 HDD in an Antec MX-1 case for several months without any problems...highly recommended for an eSATA option.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #1285
thomaslue

Quote:
BTW, I ran a Seagate DB35 HDD in an Antec MX-1 case for several months without any problems...highly recommended for an eSATA option.
Seems like the best price for the 750GB version of that drive is at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YX480G?...0&linkCode=asn

Does that sound right?
Old 05-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #1286
dwit

Quote:

Does that sound right?
A few posts up, a member reports picking up the 1TB Seagate(non db35) at Best Buy for $190. Reported as being cool and quiet.

Just another option, among many.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #1287
richsadams

Quote:

Does that sound right?
That's not a bad price, but nothing to get too excited about. The DB35 series is a very good choice though and you can't go wrong IMHO.

For a few dollars more you could consider this WD 1TB model for an external drive (keeping in mind that it will NOT work as an internal drive upgrade in the Series3). I've had one of the early versions of this drive in our TiVo for about eight months now and it's been perfect.

The one dwit is referring to (Seagate's new 1TB drive) is a very good drive as well, but it appears to be going for about $249 now and is sold out on line. However they do list it as being in stock at all of our local Best Buy's. That one will work as an internal or external drive for both TiVo HD's and Series3's.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #1288
bbache

I have a new TiVo S3 running v9.3a. I wanted to add an external drive and I stuck with all the recommendations at the start of this post: I put a WD AV-GP WD10EVCS (not WD10EACS) in an Antec MX-1 case used a 1m SIIG cable. I pulled the power plug on the TiVo, plugged in the external drive, powered up the drive, and plugged in the TiVo.

It just stays on the orange "sunrise" screen with the "powering up" message -- never gets past this, even after more than an hour. When I unplug the TiVo, disconnect the drive, and replug power to the TiVo, it boots up normally in just a few minutes.

I read about this problem back in the October 2007 posts with v9.2j, but frankly I gave up trying to read forward from there through all 43 pages of posts looking for the solution. So I jumped to the end (post 1287) and read backwards, up to Post 1171, but still didn't find this addressed.

Any help would be much appreciated.
bbache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #1289
thomaslue

Quote:
That's not a bad price, but nothing to get too excited about. The DB35 series is a very good choice though and you can't go wrong IMHO.

For a few dollars more you could consider this WD 1TB model for an external drive...

The one dwit is referring to (Seagate's new 1TB drive) is a very good drive as well....
Thanks for the info!
These last two drives don't have the same "good for DVR" marketing that the DB35 series does. I guess that doesn't matter?
Old 05-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #1290
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbache View Post
I have a new TiVo S3 running v9.3a. I wanted to add an external drive and I stuck with all the recommendations at the start of this post: I put a WD AV-GP WD10EVCS (not WD10EACS) in an Antec MX-1 case used a 1m SIIG cable. I pulled the power plug on the TiVo, plugged in the external drive, powered up the drive, and plugged in the TiVo.

It just stays on the orange "sunrise" screen with the "powering up" message -- never gets past this, even after more than an hour. When I unplug the TiVo, disconnect the drive, and replug power to the TiVo, it boots up normally in just a few minutes.
Welcome to the forum...even under aggravating circumstances. And kudos for doing some homework before posting...although I think you went above and beyond the call of duty! AFAIK your issue is fairly unique...first time anyone has had a problem with the new WD10EVCS. But then only a few people here are using it and I cannot recall anyone using one as an external drive. You may have stumbled onto an issue or it could be that one or more of the components is simply faulty.

If you have a TiVo Series3 (and not a TiVo HD) it sounds as if you've done everything right. Something about your new eSATA drive is preventing the normal boot sequence. (But then you knew that.) When TiVo gets stuck on the "Powering up" screen it means that the motherboard is unable to communicate with the hard drive.

First I'd check the eSATA cable connections to/from TiVo. Are both ends snug? Any play on either end can be "fatal".

If all looks good (and it feels counter intuitive) I'd try connecting the eSATA drive to TiVo using the cable supplied with your Antec MX-1 enclosure to see if the SIIG cable is defective. (The cables supplied with the MX-1's for the past few months seem to be working fine, but you did the right thing getting a higher quality one.)

If that doesn't work I'd check the eSATA drive and enclosure by opening the MX-1 and then plugging it in to see if the hard drive is spinning up properly. You should be able to hear/feel it fire up. Of course if it doesn't, the drive or the enclosure is to blame.

If it's spinning up I'd eyeball all of the connections inside...wire leads to the eSATA connector from the bridge and such to be sure they look like what you'd expect.

If all seems well there, try connecting your eSATA drive to your PC via USB to see if your computer recognizes it. It's not unheard of to get a drive or enclosure that's DOA. If it does recognize it, try running WD's Lifeguard Diagnostic program to see if the drive is defective. That doesn't address the eSATA connector on the MX-1 being defective though; you'd need to get an eSATA PCI card to see if it's working.

If your PC doesn't recognize your eSATA drive, it may be the drive itself or the enclosure. Both WD and Antec are very good about replacing defective equipment...or you could return it to the vendor/retailer.

Me? I'd try the obvious (above) and if it's still a no-go, return everything and start over. OR you could go the route I went and eliminate the eSATA drive and just install your new 1TB drive internally using the free WinMFS program which is quite easy to use. Send the cable and enclosure back and put the money toward some popcorn and peanuts, some beer or a decent bottle of wine! Others here may also have some more troubleshooting ideas.

Yours is an interesting story and your feedback on this "new" setup will be valuable. Good luck and let us know how it goes.