TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2008, 03:49 AM   #1201
troilore

I have an HD tivo with the original drive and the "Tivo" expander.
Can I backup the 2 drives and replace them with 2 lager disk 2x 1 terrabyte?
troilore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #1202
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by troilore View Post
I have an HD tivo with the original drive and the "Tivo" expander.
Can I backup the 2 drives and replace them with 2 lager disk 2x 1 terrabyte?
The short answer is, unfortunately, no. Spike at MFSLive has not developed a program (or upgraded WinMFS) to allow copying of an eSATA drive.

What you'll end up doing is replacing the internal drive using WinMFS and if you want, marrying a new eSATA drive to it at the same time. You will lose all of the recordings made since you connected your expansion drive. You have the option of backing them up to your PC using TiVo Desktop and then transferring them back to your "new" TiVo if you want.

The WD AV GP 1TB drive is recommended for an internal and/or external upgrade. All the info you need to do this can be found in the very first post of this thread.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #1203
PaulPW

Thumbs up Perfect copy of TiVo external drive

This is a long overdue update to posts #453, 456, 476, 478 on this thread in Dec 07
The problem I was facing at the time was that my external 750GB Seagate 9BJ848-557 was not working reliably and I wanted to swap it for a Seagate DB35 750GB (a DVR rated drive) without losing all my recordings.

To mirror the drive I first tried using Norton Ghost, but soon discovered that can only copy recognized drive partitions. Since the TiVo drive is 'raw' Ghost was useless!
After a bit of hair pulling and googling I came across references to the Unix DD command: "dd is a common UNIX program whose primary purpose is the low-level copying and conversion of raw data" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_%28Unix%29)
At the bottom of the wikipedia page is a link to a Windows version of DD: http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/%7Ejn/l...awwrite/dd.htm
This is command line program and takes a bit of figuring out but IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY!!! At first I tried the default block size but that was taking forever, so I aborted the copy and increased it to 1MB.

When the DB35 was installed in the external enclosure my TiVo S3 behaved normally, just as if it was the original drive!
Since then it has run almost flawlessly. TiVo maybe locked up once I think.
On a few occasions sound has gone out of sync - can usually be corrected by stopping play by going to the menu & then back.
On just a couple of other occasions the old problems came back - all recordings got corrupted (pixelated, skipping, etc.) & were unwatchable. However a reboot of TiVo & the external HD fixed it (although the few shows already recorded like that were still trash). When this happened I also disconnected then reseated the eSATA cable just for good measure.

I hope this is of use to someone else out there. This is a great forum and hats off especially to richsadams and lrhorer for their frequent helpful contributions.
PaulPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #1204
richsadams

That's an excellent solution Paul, thanks for that!

I'm not certain that it will work for a TiVo HD however. Unlike the Series3, the TiVo HD's software is designed to recognize and accept the external hard drive by model number. Right now it only recognizes and accepts the WD My DVR Expander. I would think that whatever copies are made (of the internal and/or external drive) the "marriage" may still be lost along with all of the recordings if they aren't made to an expansion drive with the exact same model number.

That said, since the OP wants to upgrade both the internal and external drive, it might just work. It's certainly worth a try. I'd be quite interested to hear the results!
Old 04-14-2008, 12:17 AM   #1205
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
These drives will be used as internal (and only) drives in two TiVo HD DVRs.

I ran the WD quick and extended tests overnight on the two drives. They both passed.

Next step (for another night) is to do the MFSCOPY from WinMFS. I might just go "old school" and use the MFSLive Linux Boot CD since I'm used to that method from upgrading my DirecTV HDVR2 DVRs.
I used WinMFS to upgrade one TiVo HD Friday evening, and the other on Saturday morning. I used MFSCopy, after removing all but 10 or so recordings on each HD TiVo. Using additional internal SATA connections, the MFS copy took about 40 minutes for each drive. That process went much more quickly than what I expected. Both systems booted up fine, and have been running smoothly and quietly since the upgrades.

I am having one odd problem. It seems completely unrelated, but coincidences are hard to believe.

I am on Comcast, and have a multi-stream cable card in each TiVo. Since the upgrade of the second unit, I am having trouble receiving TLC HD, and HBO HD on both TiVos. Every other channel is fine. Other HBO (non-HD are fine). On one TV, I see the "searching for signal on Cable" message. This is an HD TV connected via component connections. On the other TV I either get the same message, or a very pixelated image comes in after an especially long time "syncing." This TV is an older non-HD set connected via S-video. Normally (previous to the upgrade) I get a letter-boxed image on the HD channels on that TV.

This is the first time the TiVo's have been powered down since I had the Cable Cards installed a couple of weeks ago. Could this be a Cable Card issue? A totally unrelated Comcast issue? Something else?

If I'm dragging this too far off-topic, I'll move this to a separate thread.

Thanks,

John
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:18 AM   #1206
richsadams

Quote:
I used WinMFS to upgrade one TiVo HD Friday evening, and the other on Saturday morning. I used MFSCopy, after removing all but 10 or so recordings on each HD TiVo. Using additional internal SATA connections, the MFS copy took about 40 minutes for each drive. That process went much more quickly than what I expected. Both systems booted up fine, and have been running smoothly and quietly since the upgrades.

I am having one odd problem. It seems completely unrelated, but coincidences are hard to believe.

I am on Comcast, and have a multi-stream cable card in each TiVo. Since the upgrade of the second unit, I am having trouble receiving TLC HD, and HBO HD on both TiVos. Every other channel is fine. Other HBO (non-HD are fine). On one TV, I see the "searching for signal on Cable" message. This is an HD TV connected via component connections. On the other TV I either get the same message, or a very pixelated image comes in after an especially long time "syncing." This TV is an older non-HD set connected via S-video. Normally (previous to the upgrade) I get a letter-boxed image on the HD channels on that TV.

This is the first time the TiVo's have been powered down since I had the Cable Cards installed a couple of weeks ago. Could this be a Cable Card issue? A totally unrelated Comcast issue? Something else?

If I'm dragging this too far off-topic, I'll move this to a separate thread.

Thanks,

John
It does indeed sound like a Comcast problem or a possibly cable card issue since you're seeing the same thing on both boxes. You might try calling Comcast to have them verify everything is okay on their end. If so, try running Guided Setup again.

If that doesn't cure it, try to convince Comcast to re-pair or "hit" both of your cable cards. Reboot both TiVo's afterwards and you should be good to go.

If they're like the Comcast folks here they may insist on a truck roll. I wouldn't mention having done anything to your TiVo's, just that you suddenly can't receive the channels properly. That way they shouldn't charge you...or you can tell them. IIRC it's only $14.95 for a truck roll (here anyway).

P.S. Did you try the non-HD HBO channel on the SDTV?

Last edited by richsadams : 04-14-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #1207
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
It does indeed sound like a Comcast problem or a possibly cable card issue since you're seeing the same thing on both boxes. You might try calling Comcast to have them verify everything is okay on their end. If so, try running Guided Setup again.

If that doesn't cure it, try to convince Comcast to re-pair or "hit" both of your cable cards. Reboot both TiVo's afterwards and you should be good to go.
P.S. Did you try the non-HD HBO channel on the SDTV?
I'll try that path of troubleshooting.

The non-HD HBO channels work fine on both TVs. I ran through the whole list of channels I am supposed to receive, and everything looks great except HBO HD, and TLC HD.

Thanks Rich,

John
Old 04-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #1208
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Any new rumors regarding a 1TB My DVR Expander?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #1209
paladin732
Life Bites

Anyone know if this: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A1471178 drive would work with an S3? It is a 1TB LaCie
Old 04-15-2008, 01:56 AM   #1210
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin732 View Post
Anyone know if this: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A1471178 drive would work with an S3? It is a 1TB LaCie
AFAIK no one else has posted about this particular drive, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work as an expansion drive with a Series3. It has a built-in cooling fan which is a plus. $249 for a 1TB plug and play option isn't a bad deal. It doesn't appear to come with an eSATA cable (although you might want to verify that). If you have to order one, the recommended SIIG Serial ATA external cable is less than $10. Other cable recommendations (Section III, #26)

Let us know if you get it and how it works, noise, etc.!

P.S. If you do get it and you can open up the case, it would be very interesting to know what brand and model of hard drive they're using.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:22 AM   #1211
ilh

It says RAID-0 which means it has two 500GB drives in it, which means it will likely run hotter and noisier than a single 1TB drive. Since a TiVo doesn't need RAID-0 (striping) performance, it is hard to see how this is a good idea. The price is pretty close to that of a WD10EACS or WD10EVCS plus an MX-1 eSATA case.

I've got a similar 2x250GB LaCie at the office. I would say it is anything but quiet. I haven't opened it up to see what drives are in it.
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #1212
djmunoz69

Has anyone ever upgrade a TiVo 3 32HD with the original internal drive using an external Kingwin JT-35EU and a Seagate ST310005N1A1AS-RK. The version 9 software walks me through the non-verified prompts which recognizes the drive; but then hangs on the "Please Wait..." screen. If you press a button on the Tivo remote it makes the Tivo error bong noise. Seems to indicate that the drive is still be formated and married. I let it run over night without success. Finally had to shut down the drive and then Tivo rebooted and operated normally ... just like out of the box. Oh, I'm using the Kingwin eSata cable which came with the case. I've ordered a Siig eSATA to eSATA (SATA II) Cable - 6.56ft just in case the Kingwin eSata is the weakest link.
djmunoz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #1213
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilh View Post
It says RAID-0 which means it has two 500GB drives in it...
I think you're right. I didn't look at the dimensions, only the image (which is a single drive enclosure). But based on the measurements and weight (unless that's for shipping purposes), it's much bigger than a single drive enclosure. Plus according to the specs the LaCie drive weighs 5.5 pounds...much heavier than most single drive enclosures which are around 2 to 3 pounds even with a fan. (Antec's MX-1 is 8.5" x 5.5" x 2.0" and it's pretty big for a single drive box by comparison.) I thought they were including a program that used an existing drive and theirs to create a RAID system.

If that's the case, it's to be avoided.

Agreed that the price for the Western Digital and Seagate drives are in the same ballpark now...and most likely a better buy, however that doesn't include a quality enclosure with a fan such as the recommended Antec MX-1. I'd spring for the WD drive and MX-1 if I could afford it.

Last edited by richsadams : 04-15-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #1214
ilh

From the linked description: "The 1 TB Big Disk Extreme+ USB 2.0 Hard Drive from Lacie provides enormous capacity and a transparent, built-in RAID 0 array with no configuration for superior performance. It comes with eSATA 3Gbits for blazing ..."

The specified size is 6.7in x 10.7in, exactly the same size as the 2x250GB LaCie I have. It does have two drives inside the single enclosure, and no fan.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #1215
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilh View Post
From the linked description: "The 1 TB Big Disk Extreme+ USB 2.0 Hard Drive from Lacie provides enormous capacity and a transparent, built-in RAID 0 array with no configuration for superior performance. It comes with eSATA 3Gbits for blazing ..."

The specified size is 6.7in x 10.7in, exactly the same size as the 2x250GB LaCie I have. It does have two drives inside the single enclosure, and no fan.
Living proof then. It is in fact to be avoided. Thanks for that.

(They should be given 30 lashes for displaying a false image as well!)
Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #1216
ilh

There is nothing false about the image. You just can't tell the size with it in isolation. Here is mine opened up:

It is actually 2x300GB. It shows up as a "single" 600GB drive.

Last edited by ilh : 04-15-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #1217
richsadams

Okay, you win. You are right on every count. I was wrong.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #1218
JayBird

Deal on Antec MX-1

Buy.com has a new deal on the Antec MX-1 for only $19.99 after rebate.

And, at least in my case, the eSATA cable that came with the MX-1 case works just fine, so there's no need to buy the "recommended" cable.
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #1219
plumeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
Buy.com has a new deal on the Antec MX-1 for only $19.99 after rebate.
Sold out and rebate only good at buy.com :-(

peter
plumeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #1220
JayBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumeria View Post

peter
Well, it wasn't sold out this morning...
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #1221
plumeria

Quote:
Well, it wasn't sold out this morning...
I wasn't doubting that, but just didn't want folks (like me) to get excited only to discover they were too late..

peter
plumeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #1222
richsadams

Quote:
And, at least in my case, the eSATA cable that came with the MX-1 case works just fine, so there's no need to buy the "recommended" cable.
Same here, the cable supplied with our MX-1 worked flawlessly.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #1223
thilt

Playback problems - Any thoughts?

I have had a Series 3 for about a year and attached an Apricorn 1TB external about 4 months ago. The Tivo has antenna and cable input. I have had no problems until about a week ago. Since then, 5 shows set up to record out of about 20 (with no discernable pattern) produced nothing on playback except an error message saying no signal was detected. I'm confident that there was a signal. Shows on either side of the missed show recorded fine. This has happened on both cable and antenna.

I went through troubleshooting with a CSR this morning (signal strength, settings etc.) with no luck. They don't support the Apricorn but she suggested I disconnect the drive to see if the trouble disappears. This would be a last resort as I would lose 50-60 hours of recordings.

Is it reasonable to assume that the external drive could cause this type of problem? Any other thoughts? I will post this on a general troubleshooting forum too. Thanks
thilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #1224
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumeria View Post
I have seen this happen several times at buy.com. They offer a short-term vendor specific rebate that is never usable because they are "sold out" 30 minutes after announcing it. On 4/21 it magically will come back in stock. Hopefully, I will be proved wrong this time.

Edit: They do have lots of other items available in stock with rebates so it must be that I just want the kind of things that really do sell out after they are announced but this is the third TiVO related item that was not available during the term of the rebate.

Last edited by jlib : 04-16-2008 at 06:29 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #1225
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by thilt View Post
Is it reasonable to assume that the external drive could cause this type of problem? Any other thoughts? I will post this on a general troubleshooting forum too. Thanks
I kind of doubt it. I would try unplugging the Tivo from power for 15 sec. (while leaving the Apricorn attached and powered-up) and then plugging the Tivo back in. Many times this will clear-up problems.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #1226
richsadams

Quote:
I have had a Series 3 for about a year and attached an Apricorn 1TB external about 4 months ago. The Tivo has antenna and cable input. I have had no problems until about a week ago. Since then, 5 shows set up to record out of about 20 (with no discernable pattern) produced nothing on playback except an error message saying no signal was detected. I'm confident that there was a signal. Shows on either side of the missed show recorded fine. This has happened on both cable and antenna.

I went through troubleshooting with a CSR this morning (signal strength, settings etc.) with no luck. They don't support the Apricorn but she suggested I disconnect the drive to see if the trouble disappears. This would be a last resort as I would lose 50-60 hours of recordings.

I agree with A J Ricaud...it doesn't sound like an expansion drive issue. Sounds more like a cable card/signal/cableco issue. If you're running HDMI a loss of the HDCP handshake can cause that as well. In any case a hard reboot (unplug TiVo, wait 15 seconds or so for the hard drive to spin down and then plug it back in) can't hurt. If it continues you might want to try re-running Guided Setup. If you're using HDMI you could try replacing the cable or a component video connection.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

P.S. You might also check to see if you've received the latest upgrade, v9.3a. Upgrades have been known to alter some settings. Again a reboot or Guided Setup usually resolves things.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #1227
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
I'll try that path of troubleshooting.

The non-HD HBO channels work fine on both TVs. I ran through the whole list of channels I am supposed to receive, and everything looks great except HBO HD, and TLC HD.

Thanks Rich,

John
Just to close this loop, two things have happened in the last few days. One, The two channels in question came back, but looking at the CableCARD diagnostics, they have lower signal than the other channels. Two, I found a recorded show from the night before I made the disk upgrade exhibiting the same problem, confirming that my problems are not at all related to my disk upgrades.

So far, the WD drives are working fine.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #1228
thilt

Playback issues

Rich, A. J Ricaud - thanks for the responses. I've done the hard reboot and set up several test recordings. So far, so good.

Tom
thilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #1229
richsadams

Quote:
Just to close this loop, two things have happened in the last few days. One, The two channels in question came back, but looking at the CableCARD diagnostics, they have lower signal than the other channels. Two, I found a recorded show from the night before I made the disk upgrade exhibiting the same problem, confirming that my problems are not at all related to my disk upgrades.

So far, the WD drives are working fine.
How weird. Thanks for the update!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #1230
richsadams

Quote:
Rich, A. J Ricaud - thanks for the responses. I've done the hard reboot and set up several test recordings. So far, so good.

Tom
Good to hear!