TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #9931
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post
I'm pretty sure it is not a WD Blue drive. Check the actual model number out at WD website. And the last picture on the Frys website. I thnk they put the wrong description in their ad, but we shall see...
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B00D8X0ICQ

This is the same drive on Amazon.
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #9932
HomieG
Nowhere Man...
 
HomieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Posts: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Yes, and even newegg. Read the Amazon reviews and you'll see several comments that the drive in the box is a Green WD20EZRX. Confirmed at several other websites as well, including B&H, which actually states WD20EZRX in the title! And if you look at the pics on newegg, it shows it as a WD20EZRX. And WDC's own site says nothing about it being a Blue drive. But if it is a blue drive, I've got two Frys stores near me to return it, so no biggie. I'm willing to take the risk that the model is correct, and the descriptions are wrong. It happens!

FWIW, WD's website doesn't even show a 2TB Blue 3.5" hard drive.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/

I appreciate your pointing this out. Yes, there's conflicting info, for sure!
__________________
-Homie


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HomieG : 08-09-2014 at 07:19 PM.
HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #9933
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post
I'm pretty sure it is not a WD Blue drive. Check the actual model number out at WD website. And the last picture on the Frys website. I thnk they put the wrong description in their ad, but we shall see...
If I had checked the link, rather than going by your description of what you say the link is getting you (you say a WD20EZRX, which is a Desktop GREEN, and acceptable, though not best available option), I'd have been sounding the alarm, right away.

I keep looking and looking for hope you will get a WD20EZRX "Green" drive. But, based on my experiences (especially with Fry's, where I no longer buy from), I have strong doubts that you will get what you are expecting. The WD Green Desktop drive is a LESSER drive than the Blue is, in the big picture. In the TiVo-picture, you don't want the Blue.

That's the other benefit of just going with an AV-GP drive. The odds of ordering, and you getting what you expect, are highly in your favor.

If you get the wrong one, and get an AV-GP to resolve it, you'll have a 4 year warranty, if your card truly adds a year.

If I were in your shoes, and could cancel the order, I would. If not, and looking for best chances of fast gratification, I'd order the AV-GP, and just plan on returning the other one, no matter what it turns out to be, when it arrives.
__________________
Cisco tuning adapters should never be used inline (using the TA coax OUT port) to connect a TiVo, if MoCA is in use. Use a splitter w/PoE filter on leg to TA, use other leg for the TiVo. Enjoy!
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #9934
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post
I just ordered this drive for $69 plus tax, free shipping, for my S3 OLED. Supposedly has the WD20EZRX drive in the box, which was listed as working for the Series 3 units in various threads. Also available in-store for same price.

http://www.frys.com/product/7725678
How are you getting free (or any) shipping on something they say is only available "in store"?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #9935
HomieG
Nowhere Man...
 
HomieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Posts: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
How are you getting free (or any) shipping on something they say is only available "in store"?
They put free shipping on it earlier today. And then took it away. Check back from time to time and it reappears. Also, page 2 of their Friday newspaper ad here shows free shipping as well. Here's a screenshot of my order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.3 KB, 17 views)
__________________
-Homie


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HomieG : 08-09-2014 at 08:43 PM.
HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #9936
HomieG
Nowhere Man...
 
HomieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Posts: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
How are you getting free (or any) shipping on something they say is only available "in store"?
FWIW, as I write this post, Frys again is offering free shipping on this drive. Don't know for how long, though...
__________________
-Homie


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #9937
Teeps
Registered User
 
Teeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Torrance,Cal. 90503
Posts: 977
"It" aint FREE if someone else is paying for "it."

Better stated would be "price; shipping included."
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #9938
HomieG
Nowhere Man...
 
HomieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Posts: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
"It" aint FREE if someone else is paying for "it."

Better stated would be "price; shipping included."
According to the ad, "FREE SHIPPING." According to the actual web page, "SHIPS FREE."

Geeez, I thought I was retentive...
__________________
-Homie


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #9939
HomieG
Nowhere Man...
 
HomieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Posts: 4,500
The 2TB drive noted above arrived today from Frys. Indeed it is a WD20EZRX in the box. Though the box itself is blue, there's a green sticker on it. Attached herewith is a pic of the actual drive label.

Also, had a friend by the exact same drive from BestBuy (for $20 more). It also was a WD20EZRX in a blue box.

Drive from Frys was 69.99 with tax, free shipping, through today, at the link noted earlier in this thread above.

Idle timer was set to 8 seconds. Reset it to disable which makes it 62 minutes, via wdidle3.exe.

Aligned the partitions.

Restored v11.0m from truncated backup. Expanded and the partition map looks correct.

Rechecked idle timer and partition alignment and they didn't change. Now running diag utilities to give the new drive a good workout before installing in TiVo. Have a couple of shows to watch on the old drive tonight, and don't really care to copy suggestions or season passes, and channel lineup so will do the swap out tomorrow to my S3 OLED and rerun guided setup if needed (truncated backup was made from existing drive in S3).

Thanks to all for their help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (14.6 KB, 23 views)
__________________
-Homie


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HomieG : 08-14-2014 at 01:41 PM.
HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #9940
valley_nomad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 20
replacing TiVoHD hard drive

I have a TiVoHD with 1TB internal drive and 1TB external drive. After running 24/7 for about 7 years, it starts to show some problems caused by those drives. So I decided to replace them with just one internal drive.

I just realized from this thread that the new version of TiVo software is now able to use the internal drive bigger than 1TB. The original post in the beginning of this thread is obviously outdated. Are there a new instruction for replacing/upgrading and a new compatible drive list? I have one WD20EARS and one ST32000543AS available. Is one of them compatible for TiVoHD?

Since the current internal drive may already have some corrupted bits and I don't plan to keep the existing recordings, I will try to use the original 160GB drive as the source in the process. But it has a very old version of TiVo software. Is there a way to manually upgrade it to the latest version instead of waiting for auto downloading?

Last edited by valley_nomad : 08-16-2014 at 04:49 PM.
valley_nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #9941
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post
I have a TiVoHD with 1TB internal drive and 1TB external drive. After running 24/7 for about 7 years, it starts to show some problems caused by those drives. So I decided to replace them with just one internal drive.

I just realized from this thread that the new version of TiVo software is now able to use the internal drive bigger than 1TB. The original post in the beginning of this thread is obviously outdated. Are there a new instruction for replacing/upgrading and a new compatible drive list? I have one WD20EARS and one ST32000543AS available. Is one of them compatible for TiVoHD?

Since the current internal drive may already have some corrupted bits and I don't plan to keep the existing recordings, I will try to use the original 160GB drive as the source in the process. But it has a very old version of TiVo software. Is there a way to manually upgrade it to the latest version instead of waiting for auto downloading?
You can use the WD drive and not have to run WDIdle3.exe to disable its parking function (most likely disabled already.)

The Tivo software needs to be at least 11.0k to handle the full 2TB of the drive. The only way to update it is to have it connect to Tivo Service connection, several times if necessary. If you can divorce the external drive and have it reboot without it, you can easily backup to the new drive. You need to make sure the Tivo is rebooted without the drive or else it may be difficult to backup/restore the image.
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:04 AM   #9942
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You can use the WD drive and not have to run WDIdle3.exe to disable its parking function (most likely disabled already.)

The Tivo software needs to be at least 11.0k to handle the full 2TB of the drive. The only way to update it is to have it connect to Tivo Service connection, several times if necessary. If you can divorce the external drive and have it reboot without it, you can easily backup to the new drive. You need to make sure the Tivo is rebooted without the drive or else it may be difficult to backup/restore the image.
If s/he uses the WD20EARS, it probably will be necessary to disable Intellipark.

The EARS wasn't an AV drive, just a Caviar Green.

However, it should work okay in any of the 3 S3 models once you disable Intellipark or set the timer period for something ridiculously high, like 300 seconds.



valley_nomad


As I said that EARS should probably work and that Seagate might as well, but you should run the manufacturer's own diagnostic software long test on each before using either in a new application, regardless of how new or old they are or how much previous use they've seen.


Since you don't plan to try to save any recordings that simplifies things considerably.

What you should probably do is long test both of those 2TB drives, and assuming they both pass, figure out which one you're going to use, copy the original 160 to the other one as a backup for safety, then put the 160 back into the TiVo (I'm assuming it was not "married" to an external when you took it out) and let it contact TiVo and update itself to the latest version of the software.

After it's done that you can copy it to one of those 2TB drives, test it in the TiVo, then pull it back out and enlarge to the full 2TB with

mfsadd
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #9943
hummingbird_206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,709
2 years ago I installed a 2 TB drive in my S3. Well, that drive is now having problems as confirmed by kickstart 54 (getting pixelation and audio dropouts.). I want to put in another 2 TB drive.

Should I just be able to use WinMFS to copy the old 2 TB drive to the new 2 TB drive?

Now for what drive to get, anyone know if the WD purple WD20PURX will work in an S3?

eta: Or how about the green WD20NPVX?

Last edited by hummingbird_206 : 08-22-2014 at 12:04 PM.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #9944
HomieG
Nowhere Man...
 
HomieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Posts: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
2 years ago I installed a 2 TB drive in my S3. Well, that drive is now having problems as confirmed by kickstart 54 (getting pixelation and audio dropouts.). I want to put in another 2 TB drive.

Should I just be able to use WinMFS to copy the old 2 TB drive to the new 2 TB drive?

Now for what drive to get, anyone know if the WD purple WD20PURX will work in an S3?

eta: Or how about the green WD20NPVX?
Don't know about those model numbers, but I just put a WD20EZRX in my S3 OLED TiVo. Works fine. You can buy the bare version with that model, or the retail boxed version called Mainstream Desktop in a blue box (ignore the description, which says it's a Blue drive..not correct...WD doesn't make a 2TB blue drive)...it's a WD20EZRX (a green drive) in the blue mainstream box. I paid $69.99 plus tax, shipped free from Frys. Don't thing they still have that deal.

I did have to run WDIDLE3 to set the idle timer...in my case I just set it to 62 minutes, which is the max.

I was able to successfully copy the old 1TB drive to the new 2TB drive with WinMFS.

Good luck!
__________________
-Homie


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #9945
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
2 years ago I installed a 2 TB drive in my S3. Well, that drive is now having problems as confirmed by kickstart 54 (getting pixelation and audio dropouts.). I want to put in another 2 TB drive.

Should I just be able to use WinMFS to copy the old 2 TB drive to the new 2 TB drive?

Now for what drive to get, anyone know if the WD purple WD20PURX will work in an S3?

eta: Or how about the green WD20NPVX?
I advise avoiding the WD Purple PURX line for TiVo use. It has worked for one member, who only used it for developing a free 4TB option for the TiVo Roamio (not as an drive intended to keep using). Despite Newegg's site (incorrectly) claiming the PURX is a newer model of the AV-GP EURX, when viewing certain sizes, that's not what it is. It has a "compatibility list" on WD's website. If you have problems, WD will point out that it has that list. TiVo is not on it.

I use the WD Red NAS EFRX for 3TB drives for my Roamios. Others have used them in Premieres and Roamios. They also have a compatibility list, which TiVo is not on. I have had some issues, which seem to be due to features these drives have. Rather than time-out on a trouble sector, these drives (and the Purple ones) have TLER, which handles errors differently, as would be desired in a RAID array, but seems to be a bad way in a TiVo. You won't notice these issues, unless you develop a corrupt/weak sector. Then, the last thing you would suspect is the drive, unless you look there first, and known how to use smartmontools to get into the drive's internal logs (far beyond what SMART attributes tell you).

My advice: Just stick with the type of drive TiVo uses (WD AV-GP EURX, or the seagate equivalent), plus you will get a three year warranty.

If saving ~$5-$15 trumps getting a 3yr warranty, having the drive TiVo uses, and that has the best track record, you can use just about any "Green" drive, but will only get a 2 year warranty.

I'm appalled by the recent guy who blew back into TCF, after being away for a long time, only to go against all the current and established advice, and point people to cheap drives, with a 2 year warranty. He gets a 3yr warranty because of the credit card he used to purchase the drive.

I (along with many others) used to advise not paying more for AV drives, since TiVo doesn't use the AV feature set, and they used to cost ~$100 more. I feel an extra year of manufacturer warranty, alone, is worth the current extra ~5-$15, with all the rest being icing on the cake.

It's your TiVo, and your choice to make. I just want you to be able to make an informed decision. The WD20NPVX drive is a 2.5" Green drive, that I have no experience with, have never seen used by anybody else here, and most 2.5" drives, especially Green ones, are designed to be in various states of idle modes, standby modes, low-power modes, (and more power-off, than power-on time). I can't say it "won't work", but can say I would avoid any drive designed specifically designed for the opposite of 24/7/365 use.

Some will say all drives are the same. I respectfully disagree, and say you should do you own research (outside of TCF). I'm not going to debate with those that still insist that all drives are designed for 24/7/365 operation. It's just pointless to even try.

You WILL have issues with the "idle mode 3 timer" on non AV-GP drives, unless you disable it, or change the timer value to 300 seconds. The Roamio no longer has an issue with the timer. Older models still do.
__________________
Cisco tuning adapters should never be used inline (using the TA coax OUT port) to connect a TiVo, if MoCA is in use. Use a splitter w/PoE filter on leg to TA, use other leg for the TiVo. Enjoy!
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #9946
hummingbird_206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,709
Thanks HomieG and nooneuknow. I haven't kept up with the newest drives and appreciate your feedback.

I'm getting a WD20EURX delivered today (thanks to Amazon same day delivery!)

I used the instructions from Lussie back when I went from 1 TB to 2 TB. Since I'm going from 2 TB to another 2 TB, do I need to do the iBored stuff on the new drive after I do the copy?
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #9947
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Thanks HomieG and nooneuknow. I haven't kept up with the newest drives and appreciate your feedback.

I'm getting a WD20EURX delivered today (thanks to Amazon same day delivery!)

I used the instructions from Lussie back when I went from 1 TB to 2 TB. Since I'm going from 2 TB to another 2 TB, do I need to do the iBored stuff on the new drive after I do the copy?
I do believe that all that iBored stuff has been rendered needless, since software v11.0h (most current is 11.0m). After TiVo updated the software to support the larger external expander drives WD had already started selling, past internal limits went away (or at least were less limited, allowing 2TB internal, without all the extra work).

You'll need to check the upgrade threads for your model, and get the current methods to use. Unfortunately, there's vast amounts of outdated "how to" threads, stickys, and posts. I don't have the links to post bookmarked. Somebody else should be around soon to help with that.

[EDIT/ADD] S3 (but not TiVo HD) models might still require some additional steps. Best to just seek out current info for yours.

Good luck!
__________________
Cisco tuning adapters should never be used inline (using the TA coax OUT port) to connect a TiVo, if MoCA is in use. Use a splitter w/PoE filter on leg to TA, use other leg for the TiVo. Enjoy!
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #9948
hummingbird_206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I do believe that all that iBored stuff has been rendered needless, since software v11.0h (most current is 11.0m). After TiVo updated the software to support the larger external expander drives WD had already started selling, past internal limits went away (or at least were less limited, allowing 2TB internal, without all the extra work).

You'll need to check the upgrade threads for your model, and get the current methods to use. Unfortunately, there's vast amounts of outdated "how to" threads, stickys, and posts. I don't have the links to post bookmarked. Somebody else should be around soon to help with that.

[EDIT/ADD] S3 (but not TiVo HD) models might still require some additional steps. Best to just seek out current info for yours.

Good luck!
I thought this was the thread for the S3? Is there more current info somewhere else (my search skills on TCF suck)?
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #9949
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
I thought this was the thread for the S3? Is there more current info somewhere else (my search skills on TCF suck)?
It is. But, there's multiple threads, some for the different tools you can use.

This is a good example of a thread where you just don't know where to start reading at. Plus, there's the whole TiVo HD technically being the S3 platform, so the two are always getting mixed-up. I never owned an original S3, which is why I don't know enough to walk you through what is current.

My search skills on TCF suck, as well. I have had far better luck using Google and confining the search to this site.
__________________
Cisco tuning adapters should never be used inline (using the TA coax OUT port) to connect a TiVo, if MoCA is in use. Use a splitter w/PoE filter on leg to TA, use other leg for the TiVo. Enjoy!
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #9950
hummingbird_206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,709
Gotcha, thanks!

I do have the original S3 w/ OLED display.

I think I'll just try the copy and pop the drive in and see what happens (because I'm kinda lazy!)
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #9951
jmbach
Registered User
 
jmbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 806
You just need to copy the drive intact from one to the other. No other modifications need to be done. Now if the original drive has some corrupted information in the bad spots, that will be copied over as well. If you are having pixelation problems, I would also look at the power supply for and bad capacitors.
__________________
"Delay is preferable to error" - Thomas Jefferson
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Sir Isaac Newton
jmbach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #9952
HomieG
Nowhere Man...
 
HomieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Posts: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post

I'm appalled by the recent guy who blew back into TCF, after being away for a long time, only to go against all the current and established advice, and point people to cheap drives, with a 2 year warranty. He gets a 3yr warranty because of the credit card he used to purchase the drive.
Besides being appalled, you can also add being ignored to your list. What a freakin' blowhard.
__________________
-Homie


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #9953
hummingbird_206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
You just need to copy the drive intact from one to the other. No other modifications need to be done. Now if the original drive has some corrupted information in the bad spots, that will be copied over as well. If you are having pixelation problems, I would also look at the power supply for and bad capacitors.
Thanks for the recommendation. I did a visual of the p/s and didn't see any obviously bulging caps. Since kickstart 54 did fail, I'm 'fairly' confident that the hd is the problem. (hope those aren't famous last words.)

Off to WD website to find the drive diagnostics s/w that I see mentioned here to run before using the new WD20EURX drive. But if someone has a link handy and wants to post, please do so...have I told you all my search skills suck?

eta: I think I found the WD s/w, Data Lifeguard Diagnostics.

Last edited by hummingbird_206 : 08-23-2014 at 01:08 PM.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:59 AM   #9954
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I did a visual of the p/s and didn't see any obviously bulging caps. Since kickstart 54 did fail, I'm 'fairly' confident that the hd is the problem. (hope those aren't famous last words.)

Off to WD website to find the drive diagnostics s/w that I see mentioned here to run before using the new WD20EURX drive. But if someone has a link handy and wants to post, please do so...have I told you all my search skills suck?

eta: I think I found the WD s/w, Data Lifeguard Diagnostics.

WD (and several other brand) diagnostic software (and lots of other stuff, including wdidle3.exe) available on the Ultimate Boot CD (an image of which you can download for free).
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #9955
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
WD (and several other brand) diagnostic software (and lots of other stuff, including wdidle3.exe) available on the Ultimate Boot CD (an image of which you can download for free).
Just keep in mind that WD has updated the version of wdidle3.exe, as well as just (very) recently updating Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, as it does so, more often than you'd expect.

I'm wondering if the possibility of having outdated versions just might be linked to the number of reports I've seen of drive failing immediately, upon beginning a test. Some of the changes have been about removing components of each test (like testing the cable as the first step, invisible to the user), then adding that test back in, after fixing the issue that test had. Each test does more than what the name implies.

The changelogs for DLG/WinDLG show it's not all about updating for newer, or larger drives. There's a lot of things going on. I'd never consider running an old version, unless I had no internet access.

What are the odds that any Ultimate Super whatever CD has a version of something released ~a month ago? Those CDs have been great for me. But, when it comes to the software being current, not so great, and sometimes has been a problem.

The way I see it, is that if somebody can take the time to download the UBCD, and burn an ISO for it, they can (and should) take the time to check the versions.

Unfortunately, WD has cracked down. They no longer allow you to download drive tools/utilities, unless you have a drive registered to you, that the tool is meant for. This is a problem, with wdidle3.exe, since I've never owned, or registered the drives, that tool was made to be used on (which is a short list of drives, nobody would ever use in a TiVo). Thus, I can't download it again, should it have an updated version released.

I can truthfully say that I've experienced problems, using older versions, which were resolved by newer versions.
__________________
Cisco tuning adapters should never be used inline (using the TA coax OUT port) to connect a TiVo, if MoCA is in use. Use a splitter w/PoE filter on leg to TA, use other leg for the TiVo. Enjoy!
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #9956
hummingbird_206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,709
Holy moly, copy has been running for 36 hours and still at it! Going by the progress bar, I'd say it's about 80% complete. Using USB 2.0. I deleted all but 96 hours of HD recordings and did a permanent delete of all stuff in the deleted folder. It is still going though, so that's a good thing (2 TB drive to 2 TB drive.) But wow, sure wish I had USB 3.0.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #9957
HerronScott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 966
I'm pretty sure that deleting content and emptying the deleted items folder doesn't make a difference in copy times. Wow as to 36 hours though. For comparison, it took about 4.5 hours with internal SATA connections to copy a 1TB drive.

Scott
__________________
  1. S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
  2. S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
  3. S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:01 AM   #9958
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Holy moly, copy has been running for 36 hours and still at it! Going by the progress bar, I'd say it's about 80% complete. Using USB 2.0. I deleted all but 96 hours of HD recordings and did a permanent delete of all stuff in the deleted folder. It is still going though, so that's a good thing (2 TB drive to 2 TB drive.) But wow, sure wish I had USB 3.0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I'm pretty sure that deleting content and emptying the deleted items folder doesn't make a difference in copy times. Wow as to 36 hours though. For comparison, it took about 4.5 hours with internal SATA connections to copy a 1TB drive.

Scott
Yes, it's just doing a byte for byte copy, so deleting recordings does nothing.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:20 AM   #9959
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Yes, it's just doing a byte for byte copy, so deleting recordings does nothing.
Exactly. Even with SATA-II, which is much faster than a 5400RPM "green" drive internally transfers at (up to ~160MB/s outer tracks, down to ~50MB/s inner tracks), a sector-level clone takes ~6 hours (3TB), even if cloning a drive never written to (all zeroes).

Realistic USB 2.0 transfer speeds, if each device is on it's own controller, is ~48MB/s, half that if sharing a controller via root hub.

There's no getting around this on a well-used drive, unless doing a truncated backup and restore, losing all recordings. I'm fairly sure a custom-made image wouldn't play well with the usual methods of doing so.

On the bright side, it makes sure that all sectors can be written to. That just leaves running an equally long read-all-sectors test (if desired), to verify what has been written can be read (just because a sector accepts a write, doesn't guarantee it will read back without error).
__________________
Cisco tuning adapters should never be used inline (using the TA coax OUT port) to connect a TiVo, if MoCA is in use. Use a splitter w/PoE filter on leg to TA, use other leg for the TiVo. Enjoy!
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:08 AM   #9960
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Holy moly, copy has been running for 36 hours and still at it! Going by the progress bar, I'd say it's about 80% complete. Using USB 2.0. I deleted all but 96 hours of HD recordings and did a permanent delete of all stuff in the deleted folder. It is still going though, so that's a good thing (2 TB drive to 2 TB drive.) But wow, sure wish I had USB 3.0.
Depending on the hardware involved, a USB3 port might not work unless the OS loads the driver for it, and the OS that runs the diagnostics might not have the driver.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |