TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #9841
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red NSX View Post
Thanks Unitron for the 658000 image. Unitron, when I get this all done would you like an updated image for the 658000? After I expand the drive wouldn't I also have to supersize it as well.
You don't have to supersize, but you can if you want to.

WinMFS can do that at any time after you restore that image to the drive.

Thanks for the image offer, but the one I have is new enough for my purposes.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #9842
Red NSX

Well I got my new 2TB WD AV-GP drive for my HDXL/658000. Trying to use WINMFS and it is not finding the drive. Upon opening winmfs I get a clean gui of winmfs with file and help as the only menu options. When clicking on file/select drive I get a window showing A drive on top and B drive on bottom with the drive information totally blank for both drives. By clicking show mounted drives there is no change in the window. I then closed winmfs and right clicked the winmfs program and there is no option for open as admin, just open/cut/copy/paste/properties. clicking on properties only has a general tab.

For what is worth I have Dell/Win7 and the hard drive shows up in explorer as D drive, labeled Elements with a autorun file and folder with WD icon in it. I tried using various mother board ports for the drive data cable with the same results. One note is the data cable I used was the existing data cable for the DVD writer in the same computer, and I don't have another, but can get one of course.

Thanks in advance for you help.
Red NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #9843
worachj

Quote:
Well I got my new 2TB WD AV-GP drive for my HDXL/658000. Trying to use WINMFS and it is not finding the drive. Upon opening winmfs I get a clean gui of winmfs with file and help as the only menu options. When clicking on file/select drive I get a window showing A drive on top and B drive on bottom with the drive information totally blank for both drives. By clicking show mounted drives there is no change in the window. I then closed winmfs and right clicked the winmfs program and there is no option for open as admin, just open/cut/copy/paste/properties. clicking on properties only has a general tab.

For what is worth I have Dell/Win7 and the hard drive shows up in explorer as D drive, labeled Elements with a autorun file and folder with WD icon in it. I tried using various mother board ports for the drive data cable with the same results. One note is the data cable I used was the existing data cable for the DVD writer in the same computer, and I don't have another, but can get one of course.

Not seeing the drive is usually because you need to run WINMFS under admin privileges. Unzip the WINMFS.exe from the zip file. After it's unzipped right click on it and select Run as administrator. You should now be able to see the TiVo drive.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #9844
Red NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
Not seeing the drive is usually because you need to run WINMFS under admin privileges. Unzip the WINMFS.exe from the zip file. After it's unzipped right click on it and select Run as administrator. You should now be able to see the TiVo drive.
Thanks, allready tried that, right clicking is not giving that option only choices are open/cut/copy/paste/properties. clicking on properties only has a general tab
Old 01-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #9845
worachj

Quote:
Thanks, allready tried that, right clicking is not giving that option only choices are open/cut/copy/paste/properties. clicking on properties only has a general tab
Has it been unzipped from the zip file? Copy and move it to another location. Or right click on the zip file and extract all...

Last edited by worachj : 01-30-2014 at 03:28 PM.
worachj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #9846
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:

The drive should not be showing in Explorer for it to be recognized in WinMFS. What drive are you using? It looks like the drive is from some external drive setup.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #9847
Red NSX

Quote:
Has it been unzipped from the zip file? Copy and move it to another location. Or right click on the zip file and extract all...
This seems crazy, I did as you described, which still only opened the one file named winmfs, but now when I right click the winmfs file it allowed me to run as administrator. The program started and looked the same, everything still empty. When I clicked show mounted, it then showed my drive. It is now time to get moving again, till the next hangup.

Thanks for all your help
Old 01-31-2014, 12:25 AM   #9848
unitron

Quote:

Sounds like that "new" 2TB WD AV-GP was removed from or intended for a Western Digital brand external hard drive, one which previous reports indicate is likely to contain whatever 2TB drive WD had lying around at the time, including, in at least one instance, a Caviar Black model, which if purchased as a boxed internal, would have had a 5 year warranty and a price tag from $20 to $50 higher than the Elements external.

I'm wondering it it's as "new" as you were lead to believe.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #9849
Red NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Sounds like that "new" 2TB WD AV-GP was removed from or intended for a Western Digital brand external hard drive, one which previous reports indicate is likely to contain whatever 2TB drive WD had lying around at the time, including, in at least one instance, a Caviar Black model, which if purchased as a boxed internal, would have had a 5 year warranty and a price tag from $20 to $50 higher than the Elements external.

I'm wondering it it's as "new" as you were lead to believe.
This "new" drive, which looks new and has a manf. date of 7/13. During the restore process, within 30 sec the status bar climbs half way and then hangs forever. Display shows no ETA and under last error message is states "Error writing media inode1" Also under steps I left the swap size as 128. Under the view tab it states "not a tivo drive".

Should I just go through the hassle of a return or will the Delete Format option under the file tab solve my problem. For a reminder windows explorer does see this drive with a WD image file on it.

Thanks again for your help and sharing your invaluable knowledge.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #9850
Red NSX

Update: the Delete Format worked and now the replace image worked and completed it's job in about a minute. I have put it back in the TiVo and it is working. Then back to computer to expand and back into TiVo for clear and delete everything. I couldn't seem to find the correct WD diagnostic software that was compatible w/Win7 32 bit that would reconize the drive with TiVo software on it, it does see the drive, just won't let me test it. Should I have run the diag test as my first step instead of last step?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:38 PM   #9851
unitron

Quote:
Update: the Delete Format worked and now the replace image worked and completed it's job in about a minute. I have put it back in the TiVo and it is working. Then back to computer to expand and back into TiVo for clear and delete everything. I couldn't seem to find the correct WD diagnostic software that was compatible w/Win7 32 bit that would reconize the drive with TiVo software on it, it does see the drive, just won't let me test it. Should I have run the diag test as my first step instead of last step?
Better to use a bootable cd that loads its own operating system with which to run the diagnostic software.

Last I checked there was an .iso file available on the WD website which you could burn to cd-r "as an image"*, but allow me to suggest getting their program instead on the free Ultimate Boot cd, as it has not only that program but lots and lots of other stuff that might come in handy as well.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Ignore the big green download button and go to the bottom of the page where it says mirror sites, choose one near you, and click on the somewhat antiquated drive icon immediately to the left of the mirror site name.

*Find in your cd burning software the "as an image" option, as this puts the bits in the right place on the cd for it to be bootable. Do this for any cd that needs to be bootable, including the UBCD.

One should run the manufacturer's diagnostic software's long test on a drive before putting it into service, even if it's brand new, because "stuff happens".

That test is for the hard drive itself, not the software (TiVo, Windows, Mac, whatever) on it, and shouldn't do any damage to the software written to the drive.

When you use WinMFS to copy a TiVo drive to a new drive, it'll take a while, depending on the size of the source drive.

When restoring a truncated image backup file (one which ends in .tbk), there may come a point where it seems the process has frozen up. Leave it be for up to an hour before deciding anything has gone wrong, although it should finish well before that.

In both cases, when the copying or restoring is down, if the target drive is larger than the source or the drive that originally came in the TiVo from which the .tbk file was made, WinMFS will tell you that there's extra space and offer to expand.

Tell it no.

Go to

Select Drive

and make sure that the target drive is selected.

Check the drive with

mfsinfo

and make sure everything looks okay.

Then you can expand by clicking on the

mfsadd

command, although you can also take the drive out and test it in the TiVo and then hook it back to the PC and expand later.

You will of course have to exit WinMFS and shut down the PC before disconnecting the drive.

Some of what I write here is for you and some is for future readers.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:47 PM   #9852
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Here is a more direct links to the Ultimate Boot CD.

http://pharry.org/data/ubcd528.iso
http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/ubcd/ubcd528.iso
ftp://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/ubcd/ubcd528.iso
http://mirror.komsys.org/pub/ubcd/ubcd528.iso

~~~~~

Old 02-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #9853
Red NSX

Thank you Unitron and ThAbtO. Without people like you and the writers of the various TiVo software programs, the task of doing a hard drive replacement would be only for the extreme computer people. It appears that there are many variables to this process and you guys are there to assist in and sort out the best avenues. I as well as many others appreciate all of your help, suggestions and directions.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
Old 02-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #9854
adischin

Quote:
When you do a copy or restore, do not accept the offer to expand.

Check the drive with

mfsinfo

Then expand the drive with

mfsadd

If you copy from another drive with WinMFS, the source drive is the one "selected", and after the copy is finished, you'll have to select the target drive before clicking on

mfsinfo

Then, when you run

mfsadd

it'll already be the drive selected.

When you restore from a file, you tell it to which drive to write the image, but I don't know if that counts as having "selected" it according to WinMFS's internal logic, so perhaps that has something to do with the need to do the expansion separately.

The green screen may be the TiVo straightening out the disparity between the TiVo Service Number that's burned into a chip on the motherboard and the different TSN that got copied from the hard drive from which the image was made, which will be the TSN of the TiVo out of which the drive from which the image was made was taken.

Did you see anything about Error 51? (Which is what they call that TSN mismatch)

Eventually it should get itself straightened out.

Unlikely power supply problems have anything to do with GSOD, and unlikely Intellipark is a problem, as if it's rebooting and going back into the GSOD, that means the motherboard is communicating with the drive enough to detect the problem that triggers the GSOD.

I don't know which version of the 658 software was on the TiVo from which that image was made, because I got it from someone else and just renamed it to put the 658 in the file name.

I didn't actually have a 658 to try it on.

I tried it in a 652 and it booted it and displayed the THX logo splash screen and I figured that was a pretty good indication that it would work in an actual 658.

If it's not a new enough version of the TiVo software (I think it needs to be at least 11.0h), then it might not be able to handle all 2TB, so maybe you should restore again without expanding, see if you can get it to boot and straighten out the TSN mismatch, and all that good stuff, and then let it update to 11.0m when it calls in, and only then pull it back out and run

mfsadd

on it.
OK, giving this a whirl. I deleted the last format of the new drive and restored from the 658000.tbk, said NO to expansion. I plugged everything in and the welcome screen popped up, then to just a few minutes more. After that a Serious Error screen came up, and asked for 3 hours to fix that error. I'm letting it go through the motions and will see what happens, hoping that it updates the software, after which I will go back and expand.
adischin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #9855
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by adischin View Post
OK, giving this a whirl. I deleted the last format of the new drive and restored from the 658000.tbk, said NO to expansion. I plugged everything in and the welcome screen popped up, then to just a few minutes more. After that a Serious Error screen came up, and asked for 3 hours to fix that error. I'm letting it go through the motions and will see what happens, hoping that it updates the software, after which I will go back and expand.
That serious error 3 hour thing should just be on account of the image came from a different 658 with a different TiVo Service Number (they're unique, so it has to be different) from your 658's TSN, and it has to rewrite some stuff to "marry" that drive to your TiVo.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #9856
Kurt Grzyb

I have a Tivo HD and the hard drive died completely. Does any one have a image to down load so I can fix it my self or I have to buy the software from say DVRupgrade or some place like that. Unfortunaly I'm unable to clone the drive.
Kurt Grzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #9857
worachj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Grzyb View Post
I have a Tivo HD and the hard drive died completely. Does any one have a image to down load so I can fix it my self or I have to buy the software from say DVRupgrade or some place like that. Unfortunaly I'm unable to clone the drive.
TCD652160 images.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...01#post8831301
Old 02-27-2014, 04:40 AM   #9858
unitron

Quote:
Thanks, minion.

And you reminded me I needed to edit that post to include the new 11.0m versions.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #9859
Teeps

Quote:
Or,
If you plan on keeping this unit. Now it a good time to upgrade the storage.
They can be had for less than $200.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #9860
adischin

Quote:
That serious error 3 hour thing should just be on account of the image came from a different 658 with a different TiVo Service Number (they're unique, so it has to be different) from your 658's TSN, and it has to rewrite some stuff to "marry" that drive to your TiVo.
OK, tried the whole thing again and BINGO! Back up, 11.0m update from the TiVO Mothership installed and everything seems to work again. Thank you all for the help, still working on those last 3 caps but on the advice of another poster here I bit the bullet and got a spare drive, also going to back up the current image for the not-so-unthinkable next drive replacement.
adischin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #9861
dmartin5454

I have a Tivo HD (652160) that was experiencing random reboots. I examined the capacitors on the power supply board, and sure enough, there were some that were bulging. I went ahead and ordered the complete list as specified on this forum for my board:

QTY PART NUMBER DESCRIPTION LOCATION
1 1189-1197-ND CAP ALUM 470UF 200V 20% RADIAL C120
1 493-1896-ND CAP ALUM 47UF 50V 20% RADIAL C220
1 493-5362-1-ND CAP ALUM 10UF 25V 20% RADIAL C227
1 493-5369-1-ND CAP ALUM 2.2UF 50V 20% RADIAL C306
2 P12354-ND CAP ALUM 1000UF 10V 20% RADIAL C403,C503
1 P12376-ND CAP ALUM 470UF 16V 20% RADIAL C702
5 493-6967-ND CAP ALUM 2200UF 10V 20% RADIAL C402,C407,C501,C502,C504
1 P12366-ND CAP ALUM 1000UF 16V 20% RADIAL C701

After replacement, I measured the voltages, and they came out within tolerances. I had a 1.5TB drive that I originally had configured for 1.2TB, before it was known how to go beyond that. At some point I successfully expanded it to 1.5TB. The drive was starting to get noisy and seemed a little on the hot side. I didn't think to get an actual measurement of the temperature, but it seemed hot to the touch. I went ahead and ordered a WD20EURS to replace it.

I used the Ultimate Bood cd (loaded on a USB flash drive) to run wdidle3 on it. It came direct from the factory with the head parking disabled, which I had heard might be the case. I also performed an complete media scan on the drive overnight to make sure the drive was not DOA. It passed with no errors.

I used unitron's instructions for copying the drive contents (including all recordings), then as a separate step, used mfsadd to expand the capacity from 1.5TB to 2.0TB. I verified that I now have 318 hours of HD storage.

Now for the problem. I'm still getting random reboots -- usually after 1-2 days. I always enable the digital clock display, so when it disappears, I know a reboot occurred.

Thinking that the original drive might have had some corruption on it (which could have been copied to the new drive) I made the mistake of trying kickstart 57 to initiate a Media File System check, which causes as GSOD to appear while it attempts to repair any file system problems. However, the GSOD did appear for just a few seconds, then it went into a reboot cycle repeating that exact sequence over and over. I couldn't recover from that, so I had to re-copy from the original drive again.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to check (perhaps more attention to the PS board), or anything else? With the new drive, everything works correctly, I just get the random reboots.

--
Dave

Last edited by dmartin5454 : 03-17-2014 at 01:35 PM.
dmartin5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #9862
TaterTot24
TiVo Addict!

So some of the data in the original post looks a little dated...

What is the best drive to put into a "TivoHD (TCD652160)"? and does the whole "1.0TiB" limit still exist?

Current Model:
TiVo HD
TaterTot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #9863
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterTot24 View Post
So some of the data in the original post looks a little dated...

What is the best drive to put into a "TivoHD (TCD652160)"? and does the whole "1.0TiB" limit still exist?
Probably the WD20EURS or its successor the WD20EURX.

Best GB/$ ratio, specifically designed for 24/7 AV use.

See discussion here about from whom not to buy.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=514951

If your 652 (or any S3 platform TiVo) is running at least ver. 11.0h of the TiVo software (if you've had it online lately it should be up to 11.0m), then it'll be able to deal with partitions larger than 1.2TB.

If you read the past few pages of this thread you'll see where I've gone into detail about the best way to expand into all 2TB and the need to test the new drive before using.

One thing, make sure you weren't one of the people who got the supposedly unintended "upgrade" to version 11.3 something (which is supposedly only for the Australian TiVos).

Old 04-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #9864
mattack

6 TB hard drives are under $300, and a 5 TB external drive is $190.. Wow.. Someone's gotta figure out how to expand current Tivos!

http://9to5toys.com/2014/04/08/6tb-h...to5Mac+Toys%29
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #9865
jmbach

Given what we currently know about the current S4 and S5 series TiVo OSes, it should be doable. The problem is that the current tools available will not let it be done cleanly as demonstrated in the 4TB DIY thread. The only other thing to test out is the limitations of the 64bit APM TiVo introduced in the latest OS releases. Not everything in the TiVo OS can utilize the 64bit APM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #9866
mattack

Oh, I guess I have to search for the 4 TB DIY thread. I thought the only info about a 4 TB Tivo was from weaknees, really expensive..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #9867
jmbach

As far as the S3 OS is concerned, I strongly suspect we could get a 3 to 4TB version going for the TiVo HD. I would attempt this myself save that I only have an OLED S3 and unless someone can convert a 32bit MFS system to 64bit, it will never see anything beyond 2TB.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #9868
dougdingle
HD Tech

Can one of those eSATA 'WD Expanders' be used with a TiVo HD (TCD652160) that's had its internal drive upgraded to a 1 Gig, or do I need to remove the internal drive and use WINMFS to pair with an external drive?
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #9869
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
Can one of those eSATA 'WD Expanders' be used with a TiVo HD (TCD652160) that's had its internal drive upgraded to a 1 Gig, or do I need to remove the internal drive and use WINMFS to pair with an external drive?
You need to use WinMFS, but be aware that adding a second drive will only add problems to the Tivo. Should a drive fail, you lose recordings since its been attached.

~~~~~

Old 04-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #9870
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
I'm pretty sure the software in the TiVo that recognizes that an external has been connected and checks the model number of the drive itself against the very short list of approved models is not set up to handle the situation of adding it if the internal had already been upgraded. I think it expects to put the third MFS pair on the external, but an upgraded internal already has the 3rd pair added to it.

Better to use WinMFS to copy that 1TB to a WD20EURS or WD20EURX (for about what you'd pay for a 1TB WD TiVo approved external anyway), and then after the copying is finished, select the 2TB drive, check it with

mfsinfo

and only then, as a separate step from the copying, expand into the second TB with

mfsadd

telling it to go ahead and use a partition bigger than 1.2TB when it asks.

But not until after running WD's own diagnostic long test on the 2TB before putting it into service. (stuff can happen during shipping even if it didn't slip past QC at the factory).

Having 2 drives doubles the chance of having a drive go bad (and costing you all the shows on both drives).