TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #8881
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscolton View Post
3. Use JMFS to copy old drive onto new drive. 4. Disconnect original Tivo drive and boot up into Windows. Run WinMFS, a download link is in first post of this thread. Use it to enable SuperSize.
Thanks for the information as I'm about to do the same thing tomorrow on a new Premier 4. I'm receiving my new Western Digital WD20EURS drive today and already made the WD Diag DOS disk, WDIDLE 3 disk, and JMFS disk. My question is, I thought the latest version of JMFS included "SuperSize"?
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #8882
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
Thanks for the information as I'm about to do the same thing tomorrow on a new Premier 4. I'm receiving my new Western Digital WD20EURS drive today and already made the WD Diag DOS disk, WDIDLE 3 disk, and JMFS disk. My question is, I thought the latest version of JMFS included "SuperSize"?
Down in the upgrade forum there is a thread about using jmfs on a Premiere and a separate thread on using jmfs on the S3 HD and HD XL.

This thread we're in right now is technically a Series 3 thread and the Premiere is a Series 4 platform machine.

You should seek out Premiere/S4 specific advice, information, and instructions.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #8883
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Down in the upgrade forum there is a thread about using jmfs on a Premiere and a separate thread on using jmfs on the S3 HD and HD XL.

This thread we're in right now is technically a Series 3 thread and the Premiere is a Series 4 platform machine.

You should seek out Premiere/S4 specific advice, information, and instructions.
I'm sorry, didn't realize I was in the Series 3 forum.
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #8884
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
I'm sorry, didn't realize I was in the Series 3 forum.
This particular thread frankensteined into a hard drives in general thread to a certain degree some time back, but you need to be aware that the S4 represented a change in the TiVo's file system from the previous 3 platforms.

That's the reason jmfs was necessary in the first place.

It was more a happy accident than anything else that it could also be used for the later models of the S3 platform.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #8885
jilter
Happy to be here.

I have decided to upgrade my TivoHD before my Series 2 as it seems it may be simpler. I read the whole thread and currently (based on the last live link to a hard drive) it looks like it would save me 14.00 to do it myself against buying a 1Tb PlugnPlay drive from DVR_Dude. Is there something I am missing? Are there drives to be had somewhere that cost less that are proven in Tivos? The only caveat obviously is if I want to save recordings, that changes the cost significantly.
Thanks for any feedback.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #8886
tkoyn

Which Hitachi 2TB drive(s) have people succeeded with in Tivo HD to get 2 full TB capacity working well?

Deskstar 7K2000 http://www.hgst.com/deskstar-7k2000
Deskstar 7K3000 http://www.hgst.com/deskstar-7k3000
tkoyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #8887
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter View Post
I have decided to upgrade my TivoHD before my Series 2 as it seems it may be simpler. I read the whole thread and currently (based on the last live link to a hard drive) it looks like it would save me 14.00 to do it myself against buying a 1Tb PlugnPlay drive from DVR_Dude. Is there something I am missing? Are there drives to be had somewhere that cost less that are proven in Tivos? The only caveat obviously is if I want to save recordings, that changes the cost significantly.
Thanks for any feedback.
Exactly what prices are you comparing?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #8888
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Thanks for any feedback.
I suspect you could save something like $30 or $40 dollars on 1 TB although I can't provide a specific link for a drive on sale. However, if I were upgrading or replacing a drive in my TiVoHD now, I would probably go with DVR_DUDE because of the "Advanced Format" (AF) issue which affects all new WD drives, which are the drive of choice for TiVo's. I realize people are doing successful upgrades with WD AF drives but I'm just not sure it's going to pan out in the long run (e.g., when these drive are full of programs, for example). I've queried DVR_DUDE about this and he replied that he takes the AF issue into account (presumably by some sector alignment procedure) when he puts the TiVo system on the drives he sells. Given his good reputation I will believe him. I'm not a person who shies away from DIY upgrades using WinMFS/jmfs -- my current drive is a WinMFS 1 TB upgrade. I realize my position is controversial -- just sayin'

I would like to know more of the details about what DVR_DUDE is doing to handle AF and I actually suggested he post a brief summary here (not giving away any of his proprietary info). But so far......

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #8889
jilter
Happy to be here.

I sure did miscalculate - sorry (long night and no coffee before I typed)
The difference would be 36.00, significantly different than I had stated. Post #8824 links to a Seagate 1Tb drive for 106.99 + approx 7.00 shipping. E-Bay price is 150.00/free shipping. I will have to reconsider. Again. It all just seems to be so confusing.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #8890
jilter
Happy to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I suspect you could save something like $30 or $40 dollars on 1 TB although I can't provide a specific link for a drive on sale.
[....................] I would like to know more of the details about what DVR_DUDE is doing to handle AF and I actually suggested he post a brief summary here (not giving away any of his proprietary info). But so far......
I really appreciate your post on this. Once the thread started discussing the AF issue, my eyes starting glazing over. I have methodically red everything I can. Over again. I am still very unsure about which way to go.

Last edited by jilter : 08-22-2012 at 04:21 PM.
jilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #8891
lpwcomp

Quote:
I sure did miscalculate - sorry (long night and no coffee before I typed)
The difference would be 36.00, significantly different than I had stated. Post #8824 links to a Seagate 1Tb drive for 106.99 + approx 7.00 shipping. E-Bay price is 150.00/free shipping. I will have to reconsider. Again. It all just seems to be so confusing.
Ignoring the AF issue for the moment (it may or may not be a problem), you can get a WD Green drive for about $93, including shipping.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #8892
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for any feedback.
Go find where I talk about using a 1TB drive as a middleman in an S3 HD update (TCD652160), where you use WinMFS to copy (thereby saving your recordings) the original 160GB drive to a 1TB drive, increasing the swap size to 1GB (1000 MB) and expanding into the rest of the drive by adding an MFS partition pair without any space being left over, and then using jmfs to copy that to a 2TB drive.

That method will cause you to have a 1TB drive left over, which you can use in your S2 if you get a 1TB compatible with S2s (and a JMicron or Marvell chipset based SATA/IDE adapter).

Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #8893
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoyn View Post
Which Hitachi 2TB drive(s) have people succeeded with in Tivo HD to get 2 full TB capacity working well?

I don't think you can get the full 2 TB.. Read the FAQ.. it's 1 TB + original hard drive size.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #8894
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I don't think you can get the full 2 TB.. Read the FAQ.. it's 1 TB + original hard drive size.
You should really try to keep up to speed:

Tivo HD Upgrade Instructions - using JMFS

Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #8895
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
That's the way it used to be, apparently the most recent update of the OS on the even the original S3 allows the use of all of a 2TB if you go about it the right way.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #8896
tkoyn

Quote:

Any comments on the merits of these drives for TiVo use, compared to each other, and to other brands?

Thanks
tkoyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #8897
jilter
Happy to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Go find where I talk about using a 1TB drive as a middleman in an S3 HD update (TCD652160), where you use WinMFS to copy (thereby saving your recordings) the original 160GB drive to a 1TB drive, increasing the swap size to 1GB (1000 MB) and expanding into the rest of the drive by adding an MFS partition pair without any space being left over, and then using jmfs to copy that to a 2TB drive.

That method will cause you to have a 1TB drive left over, which you can use in your S2 if you get a 1TB compatible with S2s (and a JMicron or Marvell chipset based SATA/IDE adapter).
Sorry you lost me there. (Bolded)
Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #8898
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Any comments on the merits of these drives for TiVo use, compared to each other, and to other brands?

Thanks
A useful technique is to search this thread (and/or the entire forum) using key words such as Hitachi and Deskstar.

and
Old 08-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #8899
unitron

Quote:
Sorry you lost me there. (Bolded)
Series 1 through Series 3 TiVos use a hard drive partitioning scheme based on, but not entirely compatible with, the way Apple used to do it.

That's why a DOS/Windows type operating system on a PC will see a TiVo drive as being blank, because it doesn't know how to read the partition map.

One of the partitions on a TiVo drive is a dedicated swap partition.

When people started experimenting with "embiggening" TiVo drives, it was discovered that the original size of the swap partition wasn't big enough on a larger than stock drive if the TiVo ran into trouble and needed to use the swap partition to move things around to fix the problem, so a rule of thumb of 1MB of swap partition space for every 2GB of overall new drive size came into being.

(which is why I put a 1GB, or 1000MB, swap partition on a 2TB drive)

Does it still have to be that way? Nobody knows for absolute sure, but I figure it's cheap insurance. I think it works out to about 15 minutes of video as far as how much space you lose.

jmfs has no way to make the swap partition bigger, it just copies the source drive byte for byte onto the target drive and then adds a single MFS Media partition.

jmfs was designed to work on the Series 4 platform Premieres (which have a modified version, with which WinMFS and the MFS Live cd cannot work, of the partition scheme of the previous models ), but by a happy quirk of fate, it also can be used on the S3 HD and S3 HD XL.

One can take an original HD 160GB drive and use WinMFS to copy it to a bigger drive and "expand" by adding an "MFS pair" of partitions, just the way "expanding" has been done since the Series 1.

During that process one can also have the swap partition size changed from the original size.

There's supposed to be a problem with individual partitions much larger than 1TB in the S1s through S3s.

Using a 1TB drive as a middleman on the way to a 2TB drive avoids that problem, and lets you expand the size of the swap partition as well.

You use WinMFS to go from the original 160 GB drive (after using WinMFS to make a backup, called a truncated image, of the original drive, which doesn't include any recorded shows, but does include all of your settings, including cable card pairings, thumb ratings, season passes, etc.) to the 1TB, and then expand (by adding an MFS pair) to fill the 1TB drive, and then you use jmfs to go from the 1TB to the 2TB, so that the drive that was the target at first becomes the source in the second half of the overall operation.

jmfs will copy the 1TB byte for byte, add a single partition of just under 1TB, and rewrite the partition map and headers accordingly.

At which point the 1TB has served its purpose and is available for other things.

Like going into your S2 if coupled with an appropriate SATA/IDE adapter.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #8900
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You should really try to keep up to speed:

Tivo HD Upgrade Instructions - using JMFS
Sorry, I stand corrected. I actually have used JMFS.. Hmm, I sure thought I wasn't able to do it, whenever I upgraded my Tivo HD long ago..

(and of course jmfs won't work on the OLED S3..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #8901
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:

Thanks
My 7K1000 1TB drive crapped out just after a year in a Tivo HD. Luckily it was still under warranty and I got a refurb, put it into an HTPC instead.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #8902
billbillw

Great deal at newegg on the latest 2TB AV-GP right now. Its only $85 with free shipping right now (use a coupon code that is listed). That's the lowest price I've seen on that model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136783

Price is good through 8/25.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #8903
Soapm

out of stock... Darn it.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #8904
jon96cobra

What is the name of the drive?
Series 3 with External 500gb
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
jon96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #8905
dprice

WD10EARX won't boot in S3

I can't get my 1.0 TB WD10EARX (30 May 2012) to cold boot in my Series 3 unit. I did the drive copy using WinMFS and ran wdidle3. Just like I did in my TivoHD a few months ago with a WD10EURS (or whatever it was - which worked perfectly). So I did it a second time and same result. Everything seemed to work but I'm stuck on the powering up screen.

So I did a little digging and discovered the WD10EARX was on the drives to avoid list due to advanced formatting. I'm using an older PC (AMD X2...2006 bios date?) running XP Pro SP3 if that makes any difference.

Can I make this drive work or do I need to swap it?

Any advice and help is appreciated.

Thanks!
dprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #8906
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprice View Post
I can't get my 1.0 TB WD10EARX (30 May 2012) to cold boot in my Series 3 unit. I did the drive copy using WinMFS and ran wdidle3. Just like I did in my TivoHD a few months ago with a WD10EURS (or whatever it was - which worked perfectly). So I did it a second time and same result. Everything seemed to work but I'm stuck on the powering up screen.

So I did a little digging and discovered the WD10EARX was on the drives to avoid list due to advanced formatting. I'm using an older PC (AMD X2...2006 bios date?) running XP Pro SP3 if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
You would need to boot to DOS and not Windows to run "wdidle3 /D", or "wdidle3 /s:300"

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #8907
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You would need to boot to DOS and not Windows to run "wdidle3 /D", or "wdidle3 /s:300"
Irrelevant, as wdidle3 shouldn't have anything to do with it since that only affects soft boots. Besides, he didn't say he ran wdidle3 under windows, just that he ran it. Since he has done it before, you should assume he knows what he is doing.

I concur in the "check all connections" suggestion.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #8908
dprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I did boot to DOS. Wdidle3 seemd to work fine in that it reported "idle3 timer is disabled".

Also noted I'm working with a gigabyte mobo which is different that what worked for the Tivo HD previously...
dprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #8909
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprice View Post

Thanks!
Search this thread on "WD10EARX" -- 25 responses!

A number of people have reported successful upgrades using AF drives, although I'm not totally convinced about them.

and
Old 08-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #8910
lpwcomp

There are known problems with some Gigabyte mobos creating an HPA on attached drives and writing a copy of the BIOS to it, although I think they're only supposed to do that to the first drive found. Did you by any chance disconnect your other drives when you ran wdidle3?