TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #8851
mattack

The orig (dead) one is lifetimed. I don't know the status of the new one, but I wanted to check and possibly just get the new guide data (it's been dead about a year and a half) just since I was checking anyway (if it happened to be subscribed).

So you're just guessing? Or by "fix", do you mean a multi-hour fsck of the drive?

I was under the impression from other descriptions that it would boot (at normal speed), but you'd get an error upon trying to PLAY a recording from another Tivo..

I might be able to find a drive.. But I might just sacrifice it and try it anyway.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #8852
mattack

I guess I'll find out when opening them, but I wonder if it's easier to move motherboard from one to the other or power supply.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:40 AM   #8853
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I guess I'll find out when opening them, but I wonder if it's easier to move motherboard from one to the other or power supply.
It's easier to move the power supply, just remember the little screw that enters the top part of AC jack from the back panel that takes a slightly smaller Torx driver than the screws that hold the circuit board down.

The first thing to try is see if the second TiVo will get as far as the first screen (welcome) with its power supply.

If so put that power supply in the original lifetimed unit and see if the same thing happens.

If so, put the original drive back in there and see what happens.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #8854
SnakeEyes

So my TiVo HD drive is dying. Fails KS54 tests. Got it used and just Lifetime'd it recently. Any drive deals out there to recommend?

Last edited by SnakeEyes : 08-15-2012 at 09:22 AM.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #8855
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

I hold out little, if any, hope that your recordings will survive.

Better to get another hard drive at least 250GB in size and put an 648 image on that for test purposes.

He could always dd copy his original drive to the new drive. Then install the new drive in the ebay tivo and see what it does or does not do. Data on the original drive would be preserved regardless of the outcome.

All of mattack's questions would be answered without losing any data.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #8856
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
So my TiVo HD drive is dying. Fails KS54 tests. Got it used and just Lifetime'd it recently. Any drive deals out there to recommend?
Weakknees or DVR_Dude have 2 TB upgrade drives that are reasonably priced.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #8857
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
He could always dd copy his original drive to the new drive. Then install the new drive in the ebay tivo and see what it does or does not do. Data on the original drive would be preserved regardless of the outcome.

I thought of that, but I figured putting a fresh image on a different drive would be faster and wouldn't have any bad spots copied over from the old drive.

First we see if the TiVo works, then we see if the original drive is the problem after we've eliminated the power supply and motherboard as suspects.

The original drive could be physically going bad, or still good but with scrambled software.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #8858
SnakeEyes

Quote:
Thanks but I'm looking to not pay them a bunch extra for doing what i can do myself at home.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #8859
lpwcomp

Quote:
DVR_Dude seems to have been replaced by something called "ELEX Systems" Prices about the same as DVR_Dude but I have no idea if it is the same person. Yes, fairly reasonable but still more than DIY.

Anyone who thinks that the replacement drives from weaKnees are "reasonably priced" has a far different definition of reasonable than most people.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #8860
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
DVR_Dude seems to have been replaced by something called "ELEX Systems" ......
Here's the link to ELEX on ebay:
http://stores.ebay.com/ELEX-Systems
So who's honoring the warranties for drives recently purchased from DVR_DUDE, one might wonder? But then no warranty is really ironclad, except for the lifetime warranties on those 2-for-1 TV-marketed items at $20 plus S&H.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #8861
mattack

Quote:

Well, I don't have an extra drive to use at the moment. Well, I have lots of old drives laying around, but not one I want to sacrifice yet.

For now I'm just trying to get the orig lifetime up on a drive, then as I have explained elsewhere, hope to get a controller card for the dead-but-spins 1 Tb drive that was in the s3 near when it died. I forget if the drive and the unit died together, or a very very short time after.... If I make a working s3 to revive my recordings, then I will prob eventually sell it (with full disclosure of course), and get an xl4.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #8862
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
DVR_Dude seems to have been replaced by something called "ELEX Systems" Prices about the same as DVR_Dude but I have no idea if it is the same person. Yes, fairly reasonable but still more than DIY.
I see one of DVR_Dude's ebay items (#260998844941) contains this text:

Quote:
This seller is currently away until August 15, 2012, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later.
Maybe he's just on vacation?
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #8863
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
I see one of DVR_Dude's ebay items (#260998844941) contains this text:

Maybe he's just on vacation?
Possibly was. When I searched earlier, DVR_Dude's ebay store wasn't even there. The caveat you quoted seems to be gone as it should be since today is the 15th.

ELEX Systems seems to be a competitor with slightly lower prices, but their warranty situation is confusing.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #8864
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
ELEX Systems seems to be a competitor with slightly lower prices, but their warranty situation is confusing.
Yeah, DVR_Dude is known to be reputable and I've never even heard of ELEX. Hopefully they'll be a good supplier too.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #8865
dlfl
Cranky old novice

DVR_DUDE has his usual ebay listings of TiVo upgrade kits now. When I looked earlier today he had nothing for sale. Apparently he shut his ebay store down until he returned yesterday. (?)

and
Old 08-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #8866
Teeps

Quote:
Anyone who thinks that the replacement drives from weaKnees are "reasonably priced" has a far different definition of reasonable than most people.
I was trying to be accommodating.
You're right "reasonable" is, what it is.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #8867
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Well, I don't have an extra drive to use at the moment. Well, I have lots of old drives laying around, but not one I want to sacrifice yet.

For now I'm just trying to get the orig lifetime up on a drive, then as I have explained elsewhere, hope to get a controller card for the dead-but-spins 1 Tb drive that was in the s3 near when it died. I forget if the drive and the unit died together, or a very very short time after.... If I make a working s3 to revive my recordings, then I will prob eventually sell it (with full disclosure of course), and get an xl4.
You don't have to sacrifice anything, just take a drive at least as big as the original (250? but check LBA numbers to be sure) copy the stuff on it to other drives, put an image on it, stick in the TiVo as a test, when you're done testing, reformat it however it was formatted in the first place and put the original data back on.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #8868
SnakeEyes

Few questions:

If I were to be given someone's used TiVo HD box could I just take the drive from it and put it in my TiVo HD that has a bad drive and is stuck in a boot loop? I'd just unsub the bad drive box and sub the one given but the bad drive box just got lifetime this spring.

If I were to buy a new drive:
Since I have a bad drive (fails KS57) that I can't work off of, what would I need to do with a brand new drive? If it were the same size as the original drive. What about if it were a larger drive?

Also, I have a virgin drive image from my TiVo HD model.

Last edited by SnakeEyes : 08-16-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #8869
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Few questions:

If I were to be given someone's used TiVo HD box could I just take the drive from it and put it in my TiVo HD that has a bad drive and is stuck in a boot loop?

Since I have a bad drive (fails KS57) that I can't work off of, what would I need to do with a brand new drive? If it were the same size as the original drive. What about if it were a larger drive?

Pretty much, but only if its the same model, ie: TCD652 to TCD652. However, the drive may be as old as your own and may fail at some future point as well.

How did you get your drive image? Was it a .TBK? Then, its a WinMFS file and you can restore to a new, larger drive, never smaller.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #8870
SnakeEyes

The "dont ask me" thread was helpful and it's .TBK
Old 08-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #8871
unitron

Quote:
Few questions:

If I were to be given someone's used TiVo HD box could I just take the drive from it and put it in my TiVo HD that has a bad drive and is stuck in a boot loop? I'd just unsub the bad drive box and sub the one given but the bad drive box just got lifetime this spring.

If you can find a working HD cheap like on Craigslist or something, that would be the fastest way, just take the drive out and put it in yours and have an extra power supply on hand.

When you boot up with the new drive, it'll complain about being in the wrong TiVo (error 51, I think) and you'll have to give it a few hours to sort itself out and then go through Guided Setup.

Now if you made a backup of your present drive after getting it set for your area and channels and cable co and such, then it would be better to restore that onto the drive.

But get the WD diagnostic software (preferably the bootable cd) and run the long test on both drives first.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #8872
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
........But get the WD diagnostic software (preferably the bootable cd) and run the long test on both drives first.
Why preferably the bootable cd over the Windows app?

and
Old 08-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #8873
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Why preferably the bootable cd over the Windows app?
Having the cd gives you options and flexibility.

Windows probably won't do any harm to the arrangement of bits on the drive(s) to be testedwhen it boots up.

There's an extremely good chance it won't.

But that doesn't mean absolutely no chance at all.

Besides, if you have the cd, you can use a computer without any hard drive installed at all (except the one(s) to be tested), or you can disconnect the hard drive if you need the SATA port or IDE controller header to connect the drive to be tested.

Computers are like cars, you need more than one so you can use one while the other one's tied up, or so that you can use one as part of the process of fixing the other one.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #8874
jscolton

Hi all. First time poster. I just finished upgrading my stock Tivo HD 160GB to 2TB. It was much simpler than I thought from reading much of this thread. I wasted a bunch of time trying to follow directions from posts 8737 (Lussie) and 8756 (S3-2501). Eventually I realized that they had a much more complicated procedure because they were not upgrading from the stock drive but rather from an already upgraded drive.

In case anyone else is looking to upgrade from the stock drive and is similarly confused, here's all you need to do:

1. Create a bootable CD with JMFS on it. Some helpful info is in post 1 of the "Tivo HD Upgrade Instructions - using JMFS" thread.

2. Attach original Tivo drive and new drive to motherboard SATA ports. I used Western Digital WD20EURS drive, like S3-2501 described in post 8756. (I believe you don't need to use wdidle3 with that drive; at least when I ran it to check status, like S3-2501 I got the message that "timer is disabled" so I didn't do anything further. If you don't want to leave it to chance, you can also use wdidle3 to check for yourself; I ran it off of a bootable USB stick I created. Don't recall offhand where I found the directions on how to do that.)

3. Use JMFS to copy old drive onto new drive. Note: JMFS would not run in my main computer (a quad core; don't know if that's important). But it ran fine in my second computer (a dual core). Once I got it working it was self explanatory, just follow the prompts. It took me right around 1 hour for the copy. After the copy is done, JMFS will ask if you want to expand the drive; answer "yes".

4. Disconnect original Tivo drive and boot up into Windows. Run WinMFS, a download link is in first post of this thread. Use it to enable SuperSize.

5. Reconnect new drive to the Tivo unit. Gives 318 HD hours! :-)

Including the time to open up Tivo, take out drive, and close it up again at the end, the whole process took less than 2 hours and only cost about $110 for the new drive. (That's not counting the time it took to download the software, create the bootable CD, and of course figure out what the heck I needed to do. Also not counting the time spent debugging a problem with my new hard drive. Called WD tech support, and the guy said the drive was bad so I sent it in for a replacement. All told, total time was much more like 8 hours. But I could do it again in 2 hours, easy.)

Hope that's helpful to some others so you don't need to spin your wheels doing unnecessary things as long as I did.
jscolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #8875
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscolton View Post
Hi all. First time poster. I just finished upgrading my stock Tivo HD 160GB to 2TB. It was much simpler than I thought from reading much of this thread. I wasted a bunch of time trying to follow directions from posts 8737 (Lussie) and 8756 (S3-2501). Eventually I realized that they had a much more complicated procedure because they were not upgrading from the stock drive but rather from an already upgraded drive.

In case anyone else is looking to upgrade from the stock drive and is similarly confused, here's all you need to do:

1. Create a bootable CD with JMFS on it. Some helpful info is in post 1 of the "Tivo HD Upgrade Instructions - using JMFS" thread.

2. Attach original Tivo drive and new drive to motherboard SATA ports. I used Western Digital WD20EURS drive, like S3-2501 described in post 8756. (I believe you don't need to use wdidle3 with that drive; at least when I ran it to check status, like S3-2501 I got the message that "timer is disabled" so I didn't do anything further. If you don't want to leave it to chance, you can also use wdidle3 to check for yourself; I ran it off of a bootable USB stick I created. Don't recall offhand where I found the directions on how to do that.)

3. Use JMFS to copy old drive onto new drive. Note: JMFS would not run in my main computer (a quad core; don't know if that's important). But it ran fine in my second computer (a dual core). Once I got it working it was self explanatory, just follow the prompts. It took me right around 1 hour for the copy. After the copy is done, JMFS will ask if you want to expand the drive; answer "yes".

4. Disconnect original Tivo drive and boot up into Windows. Run WinMFS, a download link is in first post of this thread. Use it to enable SuperSize.

Including the time to open up Tivo, take out drive, and close it up again at the end, the whole process took less than 2 hours and only cost about $110 for the new drive. (That's not counting the time it took to download the software, create the bootable CD, and of course figure out what the heck I needed to do. Also not counting the time spent debugging a problem with my new hard drive. Called WD tech support, and the guy said the drive was bad so I sent it in for a replacement. All told, total time was much more like 8 hours. But I could do it again in 2 hours, easy.)

Hope that's helpful to some others so you don't need to spin your wheels doing unnecessary things as long as I did.
The important part is knowing whether you're putting a bigger drive in a Premiere, the S3 HD or S3 HD XL, or the original S3.

jmfs works for all of those except the original S3.

That means a bigger (beyond a certain amount) drive in an original S3 is a more complicated undertaking, regardless of whether they're starting with the original 250GB drive, or a larger replacement.

When Lussie says "I have just upgraded my old Tivo S3 (one with the OLED Display)...", that means it is not directly comparable with upgrading your HD.

This is partly TiVo's fault for using confusing names for the S3 platform models.

Which is why it is not a bad idea for everyone here to include TCD numbers.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #8876
jscolton

Quote:
When Lussie says "I have just upgraded my old Tivo S3 (one with the OLED Display)...", that means it is not directly comparable with upgrading your HD.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I hadn't realized that from the reading that I did.
jscolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #8877
Teeps

Quote:
The important part is knowing whether you're putting a bigger drive in a Premiere, the S3 HD or S3 HD XL, or the original S3.
<SNIP>
Which is why it is not a bad idea for everyone here to include TCD numbers.
Excellent point...

Additionally, for some problems it can be extremely helpful to include your city and state in your profile view.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #8878
unitron

Quote:
Excellent point...

Additionally, for some problems it can be extremely helpful to include your city and state in your profile view.
Or at least enough to figure out which media market you're in.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #8879
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscolton View Post

And another thought inspired by your post, whenever you get a hard drive, new, used, refurb, warranty replacement, it it's new to you, or one you haven't used for anything in a while...

Run the manufacturer's long test first.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #8880
mattack

Hopefully my last tangential post.. Apparently my dead OLED S3 is the motherboard, not the power supply.. I moved the power supply from the eBay S3 I bought to my orig S3.. Still essentially nothing when I plug it in -- the drive gets power, the no lights on the front nor video out.. So the motherboard seems dead.

I did boot the eBay S3 before I switched power supplies, and it boots fully (I was confusing it with a previous one I had bid on, thinking it would be without hard drive). It seems like one of the tuners might not be working, but I redid guided setup before it saw the cable cards, and now it 'knows' it has no service, so it may be "confused". Basically, before, I was getting grey screen on one of the tuners.. at least that's what I think was happening when I was flipping around channels.

So I'm not quite sure if I should even try to get the crypto chip moved. I'm starting to think I'm throwing good money after bad. Does anybody know how much it'd cost to get someone to move the crypto chip, and which chip that is?