Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #8701
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbelou View Post
I just meant I had never done something quite like booting to a disk I've burned to run a linux utility. Not that I couldn't learn I'm sure.
Maybe you'll find these videos helpful... they clarified the jmfs procedure for me. You don't need to know "Linux" at all.

http://goo.gl/1Gep3
http://goo.gl/6AbbF
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #8702
unitron

The phrase

"Grab the couple files needed in case the drive crashes".

sounds like someone who may know PCs, but that's not the phrasing I'd expect from someone familiar with TiVo drives.

From them I'd expect something like "make a backup image", or "do a truncated backup".

Hence my uncertainty about the friend.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #8703
YZFdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Since my response wasn't to you, your reaction was totally uncalled for. The post I quoted and the one to which I was actually responding was talking about kmttg, which isn't relevant to your needs. Since you seem to be easily confused, I thought I was doing you a favor. BTW, you are the one who who has been rude and antagonistic. I will now assume you are the troll you appear to be and advise everyone - DNFTEC.
My apologies. I misread your reply and thought you quoted me. I thought I would post a question as a favor to a friend since it seemed like a simple question.

Since I am about to upgrade my own TivoHD, I do have to say with this thread being several years old and process changed a few times, it can be confusing. I'm pretty familiar with computers, how they work, can take them apart, etc., and definitely well above average, however, I'm no programer. Unless you walk through the directions and actually do it a time or two, it is very confusing looking from the outside in. I like to do my research and get it right the first time to save the frustration. I don't have hours and hours of time to figure this out with my Tivo in pieces.

This forum has been very helpful, but I have to say it would be nice to compile some updated posts and start a new sticky with new current information. Just my 2cents. Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #8704
YZFdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
Maybe you'll find these videos helpful... they clarified the jmfs procedure for me. You don't need to know "Linux" at all.

http://goo.gl/1Gep3
http://goo.gl/6AbbF

Awesome, thanks!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #8705
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFdave View Post

Since I am about to upgrade my own TivoHD...
Whadda ya wanna know?

We're talking about the TCD652160, right?

Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #8706
lpwcomp

Quote:
My apologies. I misread your reply and thought you quoted me. I thought I would post a question as a favor to a friend since it seemed like a simple question.
Sorry if I overreacted. I got some bad news on the health front Thursday.

Quote:
Since I am about to upgrade my own TivoHD, I do have to say with this thread being several years old and process changed a few times, it can be confusing. I'm pretty familiar with computers, how they work, can take them apart, etc., and definitely well above average, however, I'm no programer. Unless you walk through the directions and actually do it a time or two, it is very confusing looking from the outside in. I like to do my research and get it right the first time to save the frustration. I don't have hours and hours of time to figure this out with my Tivo in pieces.
Not counting the screws, it's only 4 pieces - cover, hard drive mount, hard drive, and the rest (the latter will not be changed in season 2 to "the Professor and Mary Ann"), but I understand. It's always best to know exactly what you are going to do before you begin a task of this sort. One of the things that is not in the sticky is the potential problem posed by attaching a TiVo drive to a Gigabyte Motherboard. Note: Gigabyte is a brand and does not refer to size or speed.

Quote:
This forum has been very helpful, but I have to say it would be nice to compile some updated posts and start a new sticky with new current information. Just my 2cents. Thanks again.
What size drive are you planning on putting in the TiVo HD? If it is 1TB or less, then WinMFS is the way to go. Even if it is a 1.5 or 2TB, you will want to use WinMFS after the JMFS copy to maximize usable space via "Supersize" and to make a truncated backup in case of disaster although you should also store the original drive somewhere safe.

If you've ever installed or replaced a hard drive in a computer, it's not much harder than that. With the currently available tools, it's way simpler than it was in the beginning.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #8707
YZFdave

Lightbulb Upgrading TivoHD process questions

Quote:
Sorry if I overreacted. I got some bad news on the health front Thursday.
Thanks, hope all is ok.

Quote:
Not counting the screws, it's only 4 pieces - cover, hard drive mount, hard drive, and the rest .... One of the things that is not in the sticky is the potential problem posed by attaching a TiVo drive to a Gigabyte Motherboard. Note: Gigabyte is a brand and does not refer to size or speed.
Taking out the HD and replacing is the easy part (finding the time to complete everything at once is the issue, but next Saturday is the day). You mentioned the Gigabyte motherboard.... what's the issue with that? I think the computer I'm using is that brand.

Quote:
What size drive are you planning on putting in the TiVo HD? If it is 1TB or less, then WinMFS is the way to go. Even if it is a 1.5 or 2TB, you will want to use WinMFS after the JMFS copy to maximize usable space via "Supersize" and to make a truncated backup in case of disaster although you should also store the original drive somewhere safe.

If you've ever installed or replaced a hard drive in a computer, it's not much harder than that. With the currently available tools, it's way simpler than it was in the beginning.
I have the Tivo HD TCD652160 stock drive, upgrading to a 2TB Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS drive. My plan is to use JMFS, then WinMFS to supersize.

Questions:
  1. JMFS will copy the Tivo data and my shows to the new drive, and allow it to be a full 2TB instead of the 1.2TB, right?
  2. WinMFS's function is to "supersize" and that's it? You said use it to "Copy and supersize". is it copying any data or only supersizing?
  3. Also, does WinMFS work on Win7 machine?
  4. Given it's a WD drive, do I still need to use wdidle3 to disable Intellapark?
  5. The drive I chose is good? Seemed like it was made for this type of application and somewhere along in the threads I think I saw it was a recommended one.

Thanks!!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 AM   #8708
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
1. JMFS will copy the Tivo data and my shows to the new drive, and allow it to be a full 2TB instead of the 1.2TB, right?
Yes, JMFS will 'copy' (this includes the all data already on the hard drive) and 'expand' the hard drive, then you use WinMFS to "supersize"
Quote:
2. WinMFS's function is to "supersize" and that's it? You said use it to "Copy and supersize". is it copying any data or only supersizing?
Since you are upgrading to a 2TB hard drive, you have to use JMFS first, then the only thing you need WinMFS for is the supersize.
If you are only upgrading to a 1 or 1.5TB, you can use WinMFS by itself. No need for JMFS.
Quote:
3. Also, does WinMFS work on Win7 machine?
Yes, but note: you have to right click on the .exe and 'run as administrator'.
Quote:
4. Given it's a WD drive, do I still need to use wdidle3 to disable Intellapark?
Only certain models use the intellipark feature. You may not need to do that for the drive you are using. At worse, if you find out you need to use it, it can be done after the fact with no ill effects.
The symptom is the Tivo will not recover from a menu (soft) restart. It just goes into a reboot loop. Pulling the plug (hard restart) will correct that issue.
Maybe someone will recognize the model you plan on using and will be able to tell you for sure.
Quote:
5. The drive I chose is good? Seemed like it was made for this type of application and somewhere along in the threads I think I saw it was a recommended one.
It's most likely just fine. It may depend on whether this Tivo is in your entertainment center or in your bedroom (most common hard drive complaint is the noise).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #8709
lpwcomp

Quote:
You mentioned the Gigabyte motherboard.... what's the issue with that? I think the computer I'm using is that brand.
A lot of Gigabyte MBs have this "feature" where they write a copy of the BIOS to a so called Host Protected Area(HPA) on all direct connected disks. Your particular MB may not have this feature, it may not affect all sata ports, it may not effect eSata connected disks, you may be able to disable it and the disable may actually work. While it will increase the time required for the copy, the safest way to use a Gigabyte MB for this is to use USB connected docks. Note that a dual dock won't work. You need two separate docks.

Quote:
I have the Tivo HD TCD652160 stock drive, upgrading to a 2TB Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS drive. My plan is to use JMFS, then WinMFS to supersize.
I would also use WinMFS to create a truncated backup of the original drive.

Quote:
Questions:

Given it's a WD drive, do I still need to use wdidle3 to disable Intellapark?
Even on the WD website, it's difficult to tell if Intellipark is enabled on this drive model. Some places indicate that it is, others don't mention it specifically while they do talk about Intellipower and Intelliseek. This is where the Gigabyte MB problem comes into play. What I would do if possible is connect it via eSata first and run wdidle3. Then reconnect it via USB to do the JMFS copy & expand and the WinMFS Supersize. Even if you had to connect it via internal Sata, hopefully the copy will overwrite the HPA if indeed it was used. If you have to connect it via internal Sata, avoid the first port. There is some data available that indicates that the HPA will only be used on that port. The data is mixed at best.

I know this sounds more complex than it should be and it is. Personally, I would like to take the Gigabyte engineers and have them shot.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #8710
unitron

Quote:
...You mentioned the Gigabyte motherboard.... what's the issue with that? I think the computer I'm using is that brand.

That drive should work fine.

Go here for a link to an image of a bootable cd with wdidle3 on it.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...12#post7652412

GigaByte boards look for the first IDE/PATA drive and assume that's going to be the boot drive and put the HPA at the end of that.

If no hard drive is hooked to the IDE controller(s) they go for the first SATA.

If you have a drive from which that computer boots (the one with Windows on it), then as long as it's on the first IDE or first SATA port, you shouldn't have a problem, since you won't be using the IDE for an S3 upgrade.

It will already have put an HPA on the boot drive.

Just be aware that you have a boot drive attached and be sure not to accidentally overwrite it.

If you really want to get "down into the weeds" on the HPA subject, you can look for one with the "extremely dangerous if you don't know what you're doing"

hdparm

command on the MFS Live cd v1.4 (a copy of which you should burn for yourself for the other useful stuff on it).

It and WinMFS, along with some instructions, are available at

http://mfslive.org

Old 06-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #8711
YZFdave

Quote:
the safest way ... is to use USB connected docks.
Okay I'm in the middle of this upgrade and about to pack it up and have to try a different day. I'm trying to do the JMFS copy, and it's saying it doesn't recognize that there is a Tivo drive connected. I have my original drive connected, and the new drive both on SATA plugged directly into the MB. I've switched the two SATA cables and power cables, and still the same result.

Thoughts?

It was mentioned about a USB dock connecter. What is that?

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-...ds=usb+to+sata

will that work? If yes, is there any part of this process that it won't work for?

By the way, it's an Abit MB, not a Gigabit so hopefully i'm in the clear about the "feature" mentioned above with copying the file over when connected to SATA.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #8712
unitron

Quote:
Okay I'm in the middle of this upgrade and about to pack it up and have to try a different day. I'm trying to do the JMFS copy, and it's saying it doesn't recognize that there is a Tivo drive connected. I have my original drive connected, and the new drive both on SATA plugged directly into the MB. I've switched the two SATA cables and power cables, and still the same result.

Thoughts?

It was mentioned about a USB dock connecter. What is that?

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-...ds=usb+to+sata

will that work? If yes, is there any part of this process that it won't work for?

By the way, it's an Abit MB, not a Gigabit so hopefully i'm in the clear about the "feature" mentioned above with copying the file over when connected to SATA.

Thanks!
If you have the drives connected directly to the motherboard, that should work as well as, if not better than, any other method.

Burn yourself a copy of the MFS Live cd and boot with it and see (I think it's either CTRL+PageUp or Shift+PageUp that lets you go back up the screen) if it finds the drives connected, but first go into BIOS/CMOS when booting to see if they show as connected there.

You might be able to go back up the jmfs boot screen to see if it sees the drives.

A USB dock connector plugs into a USB port on the computer and the other end either plugs onto the drive or the connector end of the drive drops down into it like bread in a toaster. It's sort of like an external enclosure that's not enclosed.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #8713
a68oliver

I am also having similar problems as YZFdave.

I purchased a 1 Tb WD10EADS to replace my drive in an S3 (TCD648250B). I used a two drive docking adapter to run WinMFS. I made a truncated backup on my PC, backed up the bootpage, and then ran MFScopy. I expanded and supersized the drive. Everything appeared to work properly.

Then I installed the new drive in the PC and unplugged all drives except the CD and booted from the CD. Wdidle3 doesn't see the new drive. I finally gave up and decided to install the new drive in the Tivo for now until I could sort out the problem.

The Tivo gets stuck on the "Welcome powering up" screen. I assumed it would still boot from a cold start, but get stuck during a soft reset from the menu, etc. I reinstalled the original drive and the Tivo functions normally.

I read the warning about changing the BIOS settings so that the drive would be detected when booting from a CD. My mobo is also an Abit and probably 4 years old or more. I didn't see anything in BIOS that resembled what the warning was talking about.

Am I correct that I don't have to worry about "Advanced Format" with this drive? The antistatic bag warns to check the drive sticker but the sticker makes no reference to advanced format.

Shouldn't I at least be able to get the Tivo running even without wdidle3?
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #8714
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post

I purchased a 1 Tb WD10EADS to replace my drive in an S3 (TCD648250B). I used a two drive docking adapter to run WinMFS. I made a truncated backup on my PC, backed up the bootpage, and then ran MFScopy. I expanded and supersized the drive. Everything appeared to work properly.

Then I installed the new drive in the PC and unplugged all drives except the CD and booted from the CD. Wdidle3 doesn't see the new drive. I finally gave up and decided to install the new drive in the Tivo for now until I could sort out the problem.

The Tivo gets stuck on the "Welcome powering up" screen. I assumed it would still boot from a cold start, but get stuck during a soft reset from the menu, etc. I reinstalled the original drive and the Tivo functions normally.

I read the warning about changing the BIOS settings so that the drive would be detected when booting from a CD. My mobo is also an Abit and probably 4 years old or more. I didn't see anything in BIOS that resembled what the warning was talking about.

Am I correct that I don't have to worry about "Advanced Format" with this drive? The antistatic bag warns to check the drive sticker but the sticker makes no reference to advanced format.

If the sticker on the top of that EADS doesn't actually mention AF, you're probably okay on that. What date of manufacture does it give?

Can you hook the drive directly to a SATA port on the PC motherboard long enough to boot from the cd with wdidle3 on it and run that?

Old 06-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #8715
lpwcomp

Quote:

wdidle3 shouldn't be the problem. Intelllipark only affects soft boots. I was under the impression though that none of the TiVo upgrade tools worked properly on a dual dock.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #8716
unitron

Quote:
wdidle3 shouldn't be the problem. Intelllipark only affects soft boots. I was under the impression though that none of the TiVo upgrade tools worked properly on a dual dock.
I don't know if a dual dock will defeat a drive to drive transfer, but if you're restoring from a truncated backup on the PC's main hard drive or a USB thumb drive or a cd, it seems like it ought to work.

wdidle3, however, works on a lower level on the chips on the drive's paddle board if I'm not mistaken, and the drive has to be connected directly to an IDE or SATA controller for it to be able to do that.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 AM   #8717
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I don't know if a dual dock will defeat a drive to drive transfer, but if you're restoring from a truncated backup on the PC's main hard drive or a USB thumb drive or a cd, it seems like it ought to work.
I am not sure that's true if both drives are installed. In any case, that's not what he did. Yes, he made a truncated backup on his PC but he used MFScopy to write to the new drive, not a WinMFS restore from the backup.

Quote:
wdidle3, however, works on a lower level on the chips on the drive's paddle board if I'm not mistaken, and the drive has to be connected directly to an IDE or SATA controller for it to be able to do that.
That is correct. However, as I said, intellipark being enabled only affects soft boots. A hard boot should still function properly.

I'm assuming you want to do a full copy to retain your recordings. I would suggest you redo the whole thing using separate docks or at least one of them directly connected if you have any spare SATA connections. If you neither a separate dock nor any spare SATA connections, I would suggest doing what you did to run wdidle3 except connect both hard drives and boot up an MFSlive CD to do everything.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #8718
a68oliver

Quote:
If the sticker on the top of that EADS doesn't actually mention AF, you're probably okay on that. What date of manufacture does it give?

Can you hook the drive directly to a SATA port on the PC motherboard long enough to boot from the cd with wdidle3 on it and run that?
No sign of AF on the lable. Date of manufacture is 9/29/11.

When I hook the drive directly to the motherboard and boot from the CD, the drive is not detected. So wdidle3 also reports that it can't find the drive. I may go back into the motherboard BIOS again and look for some settings to help it detect the drive. The FAQ notes: "If you have a newer PC, you may need to enter your PC BIOS and temporarily switch your SATA controller to EIDE mode from AHCI/RAID. This change is needed before a bootable DOS CD can detect the drive on some newer PC's." I wouldn't call this a newer PC and I can't find any settings that sound like this.

I think I will plug the drive back into the USB dock and run winMFS again to read some info off the drive.

I note that there are some jumper settings available on the drive. They are all jumperless (set to default). Anybody know if anything needs to changed?
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 06-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #8719
unitron

Quote:
No sign of AF on the lable. Date of manufacture is 9/29/11.

When I hook the drive directly to the motherboard and boot from the CD, the drive is not detected. So wdidle3 also reports that it can't find the drive. I may go back into the motherboard BIOS again and look for some settings to help it detect the drive. The FAQ notes: "If you have a newer PC, you may need to enter your PC BIOS and temporarily switch your SATA controller to EIDE mode from AHCI/RAID. This change is needed before a bootable DOS CD can detect the drive on some newer PC's." I wouldn't call this a newer PC and I can't find any settings that sound like this.

I think I will plug the drive back into the USB dock and run winMFS again to read some info off the drive.

I note that there are some jumper settings available on the drive. They are all jumperless (set to default). Anybody know if anything needs to changed?
I think one of them changes it from autonegotiating the SATA rate (either 1.5 or 3) to strapping it down to 1.5, which can help with some older SATA controllers that not only just do 1.5 but were never designed to to communicate with drives that were capable of making a choice in the matter.

WD no longer wants to admit that the EADS line even exists, but I found enough to refresh my memory without having to take anything apart or rummage through boxes.

Jumper pins 5 and 6 ON THAT MODEL (it may not be the same on other models) to step it down from 3Gb/s to a forced 1.5

Maybe then your old mobo will like it.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #8720
a68oliver

I am away from my Tivo right now, but before I left, I put the new drive back into one slot of the dual dock to see if I could read info with winMFS info menu. It identified the drive as a S2 or S3 drive and showed all the normal boot and partition info. It appeared that the drive had properly been written to. At least I could read some of the drive specs. I can post the results of the info querry if that would prove helpful.

I understand that the Intellipark function should only affect the soft boot function and not the hard reset from pulling the plug. However, the drive behaves as described from a soft boot or as if the SATA cable is not even plugged in. I simply get the Welcome Powering Up screen.

Since the wdidle3 boot CD does not detect the drive when plugged into the SATA port on the mobo, I fear that if I tried MFS and both drives plugged into the mobo, it also would not detect the drives.

I have a friend who is a pretty good computer geek who will return from travels on Monday and I could try taking taking the drive to him and see if we coud run wdidle3 on his machines to eliminate that portion of the equation.

Then I could proceed with other options.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 06-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #8721
unitron

Quote:

I have a friend who is a pretty good computer geek who will return from travels on Monday and I could try taking taking the drive to him and see if we coud run wdidle3 on his machines to eliminate that portion of the equation.

Then I could proceed with other options.
That's troubleshooting, eliminate variables.

You don't need the Intellipark feature on a TiVo, so disable it.

You don't need DHCP for a TiVo, so give it a fixed IP address.

If you're relying on the quality of the power company's electricity, you don't know on which side of the wall socket the problem is, so use a UPS.

Eliminate variables.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #8722
a68oliver

Quote:
That's troubleshooting, eliminate variables.

You don't need the Intellipark feature on a TiVo, so disable it.

Eliminate variables.
Yes. I want to take this one step at a time. The old drive is back in the Tivo, so I am not missing out on any programs. It may be time consuming to troubleshoot, but it really is the only logical way to solve this problem.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 06-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #8723
Just a J0e

External Expansion on Series 4 HD

This last Christmas I finally broke down and upgraded. I got an HDT Series 4.
It has been wonderful but with the Summer Olympics rapidly approaching I realized I'm suddenly in the need of a LOT more space.

I want to go with a "plug and play" external option.

After reading through 400+ posts in this thread, I was unable to find a summary on this topic but here is what I think I have learned -

1) The 500gb Western Digital My Book will last 12 to 15 months before it dies.

2) The new 1TB Western Digital My Book does not have many performance reports here. I have found two. One began acting up in a month. The other died after 7 months.

3) Bad SATA cables are a common issue. There is a list of recommended cables somewhere in the 8000+ posts in this thread but I have not found it yet.

4) You can plug in an external drive WITHOUT loosing the existing data on your series 3-4 HDT. HOWEVER ... when your external drive dies you will loose ALL your data on both drives.

I am hoping some of the thread regulars will correct me on any of this if I have it wrong.

Also - I have not run across any posts so far discussing the performance of Weaknees' vastly more expensive external SATA drive. Does anyone have any performance stories on these?

Are there any External 1TB SATA drives that the TiVo community DOES recommend?

I know the WD drives are only $99 but to me that is not much of the deal if it dies in a year and takes all my recordings with it. I don't know that I'd pay $300 more for the Weaknees one ... but if it was going to last 4 times longer ... it might be worth it for the stress I'd avoid.

Thanks.

Last edited by Just a J0e : 06-23-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Just a J0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #8724
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a J0e View Post
It has been wonderful but with the Summer Olympics rapidly approaching I realized I'm suddenly in the need of a LOT more space.

After reading through 400+ posts in this thread, I was unable to find a summary on this topic but here is what I think I have learned -

2) The new 1TB Western Digital My Book does not have many performance reports here. I have found two. One began acting up in a month. The other died after 7 months.

3) Bad SATA cables are a common issue. There is a list of recommended cables somewhere in the 8000+ posts in this thread but I have not found it yet.

4) You can plug in an external drive WITHOUT loosing the existing data on your series 3-4 HDT. HOWEVER ... when your external drive dies you will loose ALL your data on both drives.

I am hoping some of the thread regulars will correct me on any of this if I have it wrong.

Also - I have not run across any posts so far discussing the performance of Weaknees' vastly more expensive external SATA drive. Does anyone have any performance stories on these?

I know the WD drives are only $99 but to me that is not much of the deal if it dies in a year and takes all my recordings with it. I don't know that I'd pay $300 more for the Weaknees one ... but if it was going to last 4 times longer ... it might be worth it for the stress I'd avoid.

Thanks.
1,2: Don't know much about the WD ext drives, except what I read here also. Pretty crappy life span seems to be not uncommon. However, since you need "plug and play", the WD ext drive is your only option. That is even if you can find one.

3. Any good after market cable. It's just the cable included with the WD, and even many other ext drive kits may not be "up to snuff" to work reliably with the Tivo. Even with a quality cable, you still need to be very conscientious about the connection being undisturbed.

4. Unless the drive/os crashes, all data(recordings) made during the initial single internal drive phase remains intact. In general, only the recordings made when/after the external drive was added will be lost if the ex drive fails, or is removed. The initial "single drive recordings" will still be there.

Best route is to study up and do the work yourself to upgrade to a single internal 2TB drive.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 06-23-2012 at 03:35 PM.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #8725
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a J0e View Post

Thanks.
The original Series 3 didn't come out promising to work with an external drive, some people, noticing the eSATA port on the back, figured out how to make it do so before TiVo was ready to implement that feature, which prevented TiVo from doing what they subsequently did with the S3 HD, the S3 HD XL, and then later, all of the S4 models.

What that was was to write the software so that only specific WD models would be accepted by the TiVo.

The couldn't add that resriction in a software update to the original S3s, because that would have disabled the external drives people were already using with that model.

It's not that hard to use jmfs to copy the original Premiere drive to a 2TB and expand it and just have one 2TB internal drive and avoid all of the risks inherent in using an external.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #8726
Teeps

Quote:
It's not that hard to use jmfs to copy the original Premiere drive to a 2TB and expand it and just have one 2TB internal drive and avoid all of the risks inherent in using an external.
This is excellent advice.
I did the 2TB drive upgrade to my S3 almost a year ago.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #8727
a68oliver

S3 OLED ugrade failures and success

To refresh our collective memories:

Quote:

My computer geek friend and I finally solved the problem and it was not what you would expect.

I had successfuly copied the original drive to the new 1Tb WD10EADS using WiinMFS and a Thermaltake dual hard drive docking station. I had expanded and supersized the drive. I couldn't get wdidle3 to recognized the new drive when plugged into the mother board. The new drive woudln't boot in the Tivo.

I also couldn't get MFS boot CD to recognize the drive so I couldn't repeat the copy with that. Either the drivers on the boot CDs didn't support my motherboard or the bios wouldn't detect the drives when booting from the CD (as suggested in some of the instructions). I never could find anyplace in the bios to change that.

So I thought my friend and I would have to start from scratch and copy the drive all over again using his computer and his SATA ports, etc. HOWEVER, I thought that we would try wdidle3 first since that would take only a few minutes. Now this was somewhat counter-intuitive since the Intellipark feature should only affect soft boots from the menu, etc. I was getting stuck on Welcome Powering up as suggested with a soft boot. So we ran wdidle3 on the previously WinMFS copied drive and popped it in the Tivo. SUCCESS. It booted correctly. Wdidle 3 reported the default configuration of the drive as 8 seconds. We set it to disabled.

So the reports of a cold boot working and a soft boot not working are in error. At least with this drive and my Tivo S3 OLED. Again, this was a WD10EADS with a manufacture date of 9/29/11.

The new drive appears to be running cool and quiet with no problems. The suggestions have not recorded yet, but the Tivo has not been running 24 hours. By the time we "fixed" the Intellipark problem, the image was 10 days old and it was nearly out of programming data. I assume after Tivo finishes a complete indexing of the new programming, the suggestions will resume.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 07-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #8728
unitron

Quote:
To refresh our collective memories:

My computer geek friend and I finally solved the problem and it was not what you would expect.

I had successfuly copied the original drive to the new 1Tb WD10EADS using WiinMFS and a Thermaltake dual hard drive docking station. I had expanded and supersized the drive. I couldn't get wdidle3 to recognized the new drive when plugged into the mother board. The new drive woudln't boot in the Tivo.

I also couldn't get MFS boot CD to recognize the drive so I couldn't repeat the copy with that. Either the drivers on the boot CDs didn't support my motherboard or the bios wouldn't detect the drives when booting from the CD (as suggested in some of the instructions). I never could find anyplace in the bios to change that.

So I thought my friend and I would have to start from scratch and copy the drive all over again using his computer and his SATA ports, etc. HOWEVER, I thought that we would try wdidle3 first since that would take only a few minutes. Now this was somewhat counter-intuitive since the Intellipark feature should only affect soft boots from the menu, etc. I was getting stuck on Welcome Powering up as suggested with a soft boot. So we ran wdidle3 on the previously WinMFS copied drive and popped it in the Tivo. SUCCESS. It booted correctly. Wdidle 3 reported the default configuration of the drive as 8 seconds. We set it to disabled.

So the reports of a cold boot working and a soft boot not working are in error. At least with this drive and my Tivo S3 OLED. Again, this was a WD10EADS with a manufacture date of 9/29/11.

The new drive appears to be running cool and quiet with no problems. The suggestions have not recorded yet, but the Tivo has not been running 24 hours. By the time we "fixed" the Intellipark problem, the image was 10 days old and it was nearly out of programming data. I assume after Tivo finishes a complete indexing of the new programming, the suggestions will resume.
So are you saying that disabling Intellipark fixed a cold booting problem?

Old 07-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #8729
a68oliver

Quote:
So are you saying that disabling Intellipark fixed a cold booting problem?
Exactly.

Leave it to someone to say in one sentance what I attempted to say in multiple paragraphs. lol

The only thing we did was disable Intellipark and the drive cold booted correctly. It also soft boots, too.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 07-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #8730
unitron

Quote:
Exactly.

Leave it to someone to say in one sentance what I attempted to say in multiple paragraphs. lol

The only thing we did was disable Intellipark and the drive cold booted correctly. It also soft boots, too.
Yes, but you stumbled onto a previously missing data point whose existance was not suspected, although "stumbled upon" makes it sound more accidental than it was, because you had your brain working on the problem and refused to give up trying to solve it.