TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #8671
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You must've missed the subject line of his post.
Yeah, I did, that's what I get for trying to deal with several threads here simultaneously while doing other things as well.

Quote:
But it does confuse me. Doesn't the Elite come with a 2TB internal and doesn't the external have to be at least as big as the internal? Actually, does the Elite support a plug and play external at all? Does any stock TiVo support more than 2TB total storage?
The more I think about what I think I know or can remember about externals with TiVos the more I realize how much I don't know and where's richsadams when you need him?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #8672
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Nope, sorry.
The only way to utilize that hard drive is to attach it to your computer and use it to save shows that are allowed to be transferred to computer.
Or better yet, take it out of the case and use it to upgrade the internal drive, assuming he's running with the original 160GB or 250GB.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #8673
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Or better yet, take it out of the case and use it to upgrade the internal drive, assuming he's running with the original 160GB or 250GB.
I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who missed the subject line

Help! Re Expanding new Premiere Elite...

Admittedly, there rarely is one after the original post, and this is the S3 section, so it's kind of out of place, although this particular thread has turned into the general purpose hard drive thread.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #8674
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who missed the subject line

Help! Re Expanding new Premiere Elite...

Admittedly, there rarely is one after the original post, and this is the S3 section, so it's kind of out of place, although this particular thread has turned into the general purpose hard drive thread.
Also, thinking about it some more, it doesn't really make sense. How do you expand an Elite in the first place?

I'm starting to sense the presence of a very weird troll who comes out from under the bridge every 3 years to make one post.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #8675
kbelou

Thanks so much to everyone for the help, I just finished installing my brand new 2TB drive in my TiVo! Increase from 21 HD recording hours to 318! Special thanks to lpwcomp and steve614 for helping me out
kbelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #8676
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbelou View Post
Thanks so much to everyone for the help, I just finished installing my brand new 2TB drive in my TiVo! Increase from 21 HD recording hours to 318! Special thanks to lpwcomp and steve614 for helping me out
What model TiVo?

What brand, model number on drive itself, model number on retail package if any, manufacturing date, and country of manufacture or the new drive?

Anything on the drive label or packaging about "advanced format" and did you do anything special about that?

Where did you buy the drive and for how much?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #8677
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Quote:
What model TiVo?
I suspect its a THD (652) from the clue above.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 05-23-2012 at 04:09 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #8678
kbelou

Quote:
What model TiVo?

What brand, model number on drive itself, model number on retail package if any, manufacturing date, and country of manufacture or the new drive?

Anything on the drive label or packaging about "advanced format" and did you do anything special about that?

Where did you buy the drive and for how much?
Phew, well the TiVo is a TCD652160.

As far as the new drive is concerned I don't know the answers to all your questions, I'll have to open up the TiVo box tonight to see. But what I do know:
The drive is Western Digital, 2TB, WD20EURS. I purchased it from newegg for $129 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...3&Tpk=wd20eurs). I'll check the other stuff tonight.
kbelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #8679
unitron

Quote:
Phew, well the TiVo is a TCD652160.

As far as the new drive is concerned I don't know the answers to all your questions, I'll have to open up the TiVo box tonight to see. But what I do know:
The drive is Western Digital, 2TB, WD20EURS. I purchased it from newegg for $129 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...3&Tpk=wd20eurs). I'll check the other stuff tonight.
Okay, bare drive, no retail box number to worry about, if you don't need to open the TiVo for some other reason, don't worry about date and country, it's "advanced format", did you do anything special on account of that?

Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #8680
lex3001

Cool My recent drive upgrade experience

After I purchased our TiVo HD, I upgraded the drive to a 1.5TB drive -- this was about 1.5 years ago. Recently we have had some weird problems -- random reboots, hangs, etc. -- intermittent, but more and more frequent. Time for a new drive.

This time I ordered the WD20EARX since the price was ok on Amazon and even though the TiVo won't use the extra space, if I ever use the drive for something else it was only $10 more... http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B004VFJ9MK ($119).

Fortunately I know right where I keep those funny star shaped screwdrivers I got from the auto supply store years ago.

Step 1: wdidle3
Nothing is ever as easy as I hope it will be. I knew I was supposed to do something to this drive, but nothing obvious showed up under the drive's downloads on the WD site. So I looked here and realized it was WDIDLE3 I needed to run. I could not actually verify anywhere that the program works for the WD EARX series but I figured I would give it a go anyway. I popped the drive into a USB external case and tried to run WDIDLE3 from my Windows 7 64-bit laptop (Dell E6410). I'm you are all ROFL right now. Windows said it could not run this program... so I looked up online how to make a bootable USB stick with MSDOS and copied the program onto there. I followed these instructions: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ve-create.html ... the first time I copied all the remaining MSDOS files onto the stick afterwards. Not a good idea -- wouldn't boot on one of my laptops -- so the second time I left it empty and added only the WDIDLE3 files. Of course, WDIDLE3 could not find any WD drives. More Internet research revealed this would probably not work on an external USB case. Luckily I happened to have an external case with eSata. And even more luck -- I also had a laptop with eSata. To top things off I was even able to find an eSata cable lying around the house somewhere. Phew. Well, that did not work either -- still not found. Argh. I decided to remove the internal hard drive and DVD drive from the laptop just to be safe and also to see if that would help. Nope. Next I checked the BIOS to make sure the eSata was even turned on. Yep. Then I noticed it has 4 modes -- off, ATA, AHCI, and RAID. It was on RAID. So I tried ATA. Nope. Argh, now was getting that sinking feeling, like I'm going to have to find a desktop to use somewhere... one last option to try - AHCI (I think). That one worked! Woo hoo. Next step.

Step 2. Copy the old drive to the new one...
This was a less daunting task because I have used CloneZilla and even dd in the past. Going through my USB sticks, I had one called the Ultimate Boot CD. I found Clonezilla on this guy, but nothing wanted to boot from this stick on the Dell D630 I allocated to the task of being busy for 24 hours. Back to making sticks again... I went straight to Clonezilla this time and made a bootable usb using TuxBoot from Windows 7 (see http://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php). This booted up but CloneZilla could not see both my drives. I unplugged them and plugged them back in etc and finally it worked. No matter what options I used in CloneZilla though, it would not start the copy because it could not determine what kind of partitions the new drive had. I wanted the nice safe feeling of the GUI telling me the progress so I persisted. But eventually I gave up and used dd instead. I used a trick I found online -- something like this one: http://www.commandlinefu.com/command...progress-of-dd -- and I experimented with the -bs parameter a bit and settled on 32k. When I realized the laptop was getting hot I remember that in previous attemps it would sometime shut off and I put a fan right next to it to keep everything extra cool. Some 12-20 hours later it was done (I'm not really sure when it finished, and the results were no longer there to see). It must be nice to have modern equipment with SATA 3, but I just had external USB drives and an old laptop to use for this.

Step 3: The moment of truth
I popped the new drive into the TiVo, screwed everything back in place, hooked it up again, plugged it into the power as the last step and then turned on the TV. Would it be a black screen of death? Would it hang? Or would the technology gods favor me today?

The usual TiVo boot screen came up. Phew! I waited a bit and then the second Just a little longer boot screen came up. So far so good. Then an odd grey screen I did not recognize came on. Uh oh. Then I remembered I had put the TiVo in standby before I started all this -- no problem, hit a key on the remote. Good to go! Checked that I could watch TV, Netflix, etc. It worked. And its quieter than the old WD15EARS drive I had in there.

I am having trouble getting my TiVo to play Netflix in HD despite my 8Mbps (6.47 Mbps steady on speedtest) DSL, but that is unrelated...

Anyway just thought I would share this in case anyone found it useful one day...
lex3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #8681
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex3001 View Post
After I purchased our TiVo HD, I upgraded the drive to a 1.5TB drive -- this was about 1.5 years ago. Recently we have had some weird problems -- random reboots, hangs, etc. -- intermittent, but more and more frequent. Time for a new drive.

This time I ordered the WD20EARX since the price was ok on Amazon and even though the TiVo won't use the extra space...
You should have used the newer JMFS program/method for TivoHD discussed in the Upgrade Center forum to utilize the full 2 TB capacity.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #8682
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
You should have used the newer JMFS program/method for TivoHD discussed in the Upgrade Center forum to utilize the full 2 TB capacity.
It's a bit more problematic when going from an already expanded drive.

Assuming he used WinMFS for the original expansion, he was not even utilizing the full 1.5TB.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #8683
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

http://www.circuitcity.com/applicati...mpaign=CCEM952

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...mpaign=WEM3119

WD10EARX $79.99 after $20 rebate. Ends 5/25/2012.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 05-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #8684
greggt007

i recently bought a s3, thought the power supply was bad. bought another s3, turned out to be the hdd. so i'm selling the other s3 once i fix it. i have an old 500gb expander that i used on my hd that 'went bad', but works fine when i hook it up to my laptops to make backups, though i only plug it in occasionally.

anyone ever take their 'bad' expanders drive out of the external case and put it inside their tivo? from what i read it was the design of the external housing which made it overheat, the drive itself should be ok?
greggt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #8685
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggt007 View Post
i recently bought a s3, thought the power supply was bad. bought another s3, turned out to be the hdd. so i'm selling the other s3 once i fix it. i have an old 500gb expander that i used on my hd that 'went bad', but works fine when i hook it up to my laptops to make backups, though i only plug it in occasionally.

anyone ever take their 'bad' expanders drive out of the external case and put it inside their tivo? from what i read it was the design of the external housing which made it overheat, the drive itself should be ok?
Before using any drive in a TiVo, get that particular brand manufacturer's diagnostic software and run the long test.

I think a lot of the problems with externals had to do with eSATA connnector problems.

If your expander is the Wesern Digital model made for the TiVo, the drive inside should work fine as a TiVo internal, but you should check to see if it needs Intellipark disabled with the wdidle3 utility.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #8686
YZFdave

keep backup ?

Is it possible to simply make a backup copy of your Tivo drive without making a mirror of the drive? A friend is not interested in upgrading to a bigger drive, and simply wants to "Grab the couple files needed in case the drive crashes". Obviously he would lose the shows, but at least wouldn't have to pay $40 for the software later. Is that possible? Or does he have to create an exact copy of the drive with a blank HDD?

thanks!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #8687
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFdave View Post
Is it possible to simply make a backup copy of your Tivo drive without making a mirror of the drive? A friend is not interested in upgrading to a bigger drive, and simply wants to "Grab the couple files needed in case the drive crashes". Obviously he would lose the shows, but at least wouldn't have to pay $40 for the software later. Is that possible? Or does he have to create an exact copy of the drive with a blank HDD?

thanks!
I believe it is possible to create a "truncated backup", unless it is a Premiere.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:20 AM   #8688
unitron

Quote:

thanks!
Get your friend to look on the sticker on the back and find the model number.

Should be TCD followed by 6 numbers

Tell us that model number and we can provide much more explicit advice.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #8689
greggt007

Quote:
Before using any drive in a TiVo, get that particular brand manufacturer's diagnostic software and run the long test.

I think a lot of the problems with externals had to do with eSATA connnector problems.

If your expander is the Wesern Digital model made for the TiVo, the drive inside should work fine as a TiVo internal, but you should check to see if it needs Intellipark disabled with the wdidle3 utility.
thanks, i dont think i can do the wdidle3 thing as all i have is a laptop with the drive hooked up via usb to sata bridge.
but it is a wd av drive used for tivo so i dont think it would have the green feature.

though this drive without the case seems to get piping hot, seems hotter than a normal hdd even though it has 2/3 the power consumption of the stock s3 drive.

i have a spare 3.5" hard drive dual fan thing that goes on the side of the drive that hooks up to the bracket. is it possible or recommended to hook one of these up to the tivo drive with the bracket on? it could use the secondary power connector on the hdd.
greggt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #8690
YZFdave

The tivo for the backup is the TivoHD. Sorry I don't have the exact model number, but it's a standard HD that came with it. 21hr
Old 06-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #8691
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
The tivo for the backup is the TivoHD. Sorry I don't have the exact model number, but it's a standard HD that came with it. 21hr
The Model number for all the Series 3 are:

Series 3 OLED = TCD648250
Tivo HD = TCD652160 ********* <-- This would be your model, it sounds like.
Tivo HD XL = TCD658000
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 06-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #8692
lpwcomp

Quote:
The exact model shouldn't really matter. You can use WinMFS to create a truncated backup.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #8693
unitron

Quote:
The exact model shouldn't really matter. You can use WinMFS to create a truncated backup.
Assuming the poster's friend's DVR is a DVR and is a TiVo and is an S3 or older.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #8694
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggt007 View Post
thanks, i dont think i can do the wdidle3 thing as all i have is a laptop with the drive hooked up via usb to sata bridge.
but it is a wd av drive used for tivo so i dont think it would have the green feature.

though this drive without the case seems to get piping hot, seems hotter than a normal hdd even though it has 2/3 the power consumption of the stock s3 drive.

i have a spare 3.5" hard drive dual fan thing that goes on the side of the drive that hooks up to the bracket. is it possible or recommended to hook one of these up to the tivo drive with the bracket on? it could use the secondary power connector on the hdd.
I think the whole Intellipark borks a TiVo problem came to light when WD drives with it were placed in new TiVos at the factory as the internal drive.

Seems WD forget to run that little change by TiVo to see if it would cause a problem.

An external might be ready to respond but not yet back asleep by the time the TiVo gets around to talking to it, so I wouldn't make assumptions.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #8695
lpwcomp

Quote:
Assuming the poster's friend's DVR is a DVR and is a TiVo and is an S3 or older.
Actually, you can't create a truncated backup for an S4 either but in the post I quoted, he said it was a TiVo HD.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #8696
unitron

Quote:
Actually, you can't create a truncated backup for an S4 either but in the post I quoted, he said it was a TiVo HD.
I really should have been doing this after becoming fully awake.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #8697
Teeps

Quote:
<SNIP>
A friend simply wants to "Grab the couple files needed in case the drive crashes". <SNIP>
What files is this "friend" trying to extract?

If saved programs he can use kmttg to move non copy protected programs to a pc. It's slow but works.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #8698
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
What files is this "friend" trying to extract?

If saved programs he can use kmttg to move non copy protected programs to a pc. It's slow but works.
You really shouldn't get involved in the middle of a discussion w/o reading the entire thing. kmttg or any process for moving recordings to a computer is not relevant to this one. It's not even relevant to this thread.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #8699
Teeps

Quote:
You really shouldn't get involved in the middle of a discussion w/o reading the entire thing. kmttg or any process for moving recordings to a computer is not relevant to this one. It's not even relevant to this thread.

lpwcomp sir:
I'm sorry to have ventured into this thread uninvited and offended you.
If what I asked and suggested is of no use to this discussion. Then please remove my post above.

Again, sorry to have offended your learned position in this thread.
You have a nice day.

Cheers...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #8700
lpwcomp

Quote:
Thanks for the condescending and rude reply. You do have a point though about the relevant post and if this is the right thread. I actually thought it does apply, and according to someone about 5 posts above, using WinMFS will most likely back it up. So it seems it is relevant or at least similar. And reading through the entire thread, all 290 pages of it seems a little too time consuming.
Since my response wasn't to you, your reaction was totally uncalled for. The post I quoted and the one to which I was actually responding was talking about kmttg, which isn't relevant to your needs. Since you seem to be easily confused, I thought I was doing you a favor. BTW, you are the one who who has been rude and antagonistic. I will now assume you are the troll you appear to be and advise everyone - DNFTEC.