TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #8641
MThorin

ok, i have done the kickstart 54 and it has been running for most of the day so far.. this is what it shows at this point
Highslide JS
I'm assuming that the Fail 7 on the primary means that the internal drive is dying, and it is time to replace it, or am I wrong.
MThorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #8642
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThorin View Post
ok, i have done the kickstart 54 and it has been running for most of the day so far.. this is what it shows at this point
Highslide JS
I'm assuming that the Fail 7 on the primary means that the internal drive is dying, and it is time to replace it, or am I wrong.
You are correct. While it could possibly be the power supply, the original 160GB drive in my TiVo HD went bad after @3 years. I replaced it with a 1TB last June and it has been running fine since then.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #8643
MThorin

this should be the last question: Once I mirror the old tivo drive to the new tivo drive, at that point it should just be a matter of putting the new tivo drive into the tivo, and powering it up. Or do I need to run any special commands or anything after powering up the tivo with the new tivo drive?
MThorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #8644
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThorin View Post
this should be the last question: Once I mirror the old tivo drive to the new tivo drive, at that point it should just be a matter of putting the new tivo drive into the tivo, and powering it up. Or do I need to run any special commands or anything after powering up the tivo with the new tivo drive?
If you did a "Xerox" of the old 160 to the other 160, it and the TiVo will think it's the old 160, so no need to do anything except hook it up and plug in the TiVo's power cord.

The only possible exception is if the replacement 160 is a Western Digital Caviar Green which has Intellipark enabled, in which case you'd need to run wdidle3 to disable it.

You can look up the model number on the sticker on the drive on WD's website to see if Intellipark is one of its features.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #8645
mattack

Does anybody know if this drive:

SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI
http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail...er-_-ClickHere

will work in a TivoHD?

Yes, I skimmed the FAQ, but its list of drives is old.. and I seem to remember the TivoHD is much finickier than the OLED S3 as far as which drives work..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #8646
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

will work in a TivoHD?

Yes, I skimmed the FAQ, but its list of drives is old.. and I seem to remember the TivoHD is much finickier than the OLED S3 as far as which drives work..
That will work. Samsungs are good in fact. Used those for years back when WDs sucked.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #8647
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
That will work. Samsungs are good in fact. Used those for years back when WDs sucked.
How about as a single NT partition running under XP to store .tivo files on to free up some WDs known to work in the S3 HD?

Will the advanced format 4K sector thing come back to bite me?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #8648
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Will the advanced format 4K sector thing come back to bite me?
*CHOMP*
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #8649
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
*CHOMP*
Most hilarious, got any painful and illustrative anecdotes about which 4K sector drives cause problems in and with what to accompany it?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #8650
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

will work in a TivoHD?

If you read the feedback at newegg, that's not really the drive they say it is, it's a Seagate with the Samsung name on it, and only a 1 year warranty.

Too bad, Samsung seemed to be making good drives before Seagate bought them out.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #8651
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
If you read the feedback at newegg, that's not really the drive they say it is, it's a Seagate with the Samsung name on it, and only a 1 year warranty.

Too bad, Samsung seemed to be making good drives before Seagate bought them out.
Oh...yeah. Never mind then.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #8652
kbelou

Hey guys/gals,
I'm looking to replace my current (and original) internal drive in my TiVo HD. I had one of the old 500GB My DVR Expander drives for a few years but it just died. It seems much more cost effective to replace the internal drive than buy another certified external drive.

My questions: Do the directions in the original post on this thread still apply (I'm looking at the winMFS method on a Windows 7 machine)? Does anyone have any internal hard drive recommendations? I noticed the suggested HDD list has taken a few hits.

Any other help/comments would certainly be appreciated. Thanks!
kbelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #8653
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbelou View Post
Hey guys/gals,
I'm looking to replace my current (and original) internal drive in my TiVo HD. I had one of the old 500GB My DVR Expander drives for a few years but it just died. It seems much more cost effective to replace the internal drive than buy another certified external drive.

My questions: Do the directions in the original post on this thread still apply (I'm looking at the winMFS method on a Windows 7 machine)? Does anyone have any internal hard drive recommendations? I noticed the suggested HDD list has taken a few hits.

Yes, I believe winMFS will work with drives up to 1TB. You will want to run WinMFS "as administrator" on a Windows 7 computer.

If you can afford to get a 1.5TB or a 2TB hard drive, use the JMFS software.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 05-15-2012 at 10:34 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #8654
Teeps

Quote:

My questions:
Does anyone have any internal hard drive recommendations?
Any other help/comments would certainly be appreciated.
Thanks!
I'm very happy with the 2TB plug&play drive purchased from Dvr_Dude (ebay.)
A bit pricey, some here will say, but hassle free...

He is very prompt & professional with communications too.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #8655
lpwcomp

Quote:
Hey guys/gals,

Microcenter has a 2TB WD Caviar Green drive for $109. As noted above, you would have to use JMFS. For maximum space utilization, you would also have to use WinMFS to "supersize" it. You may also need to run "wdidle3" to disable the intellipark feature.

Have you divorced the external?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #8656
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
I'm very happy with the 2TB plug&play drive purchased from Dvr_Dude (ebay.)
A bit pricey, some here will say, but hassle free...
I guess you don't consider it a hassle to redo guided setup and all of your settings, including CableCARD pairing, and restoring all of your SP's.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #8657
kbelou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Microcenter has a 2TB WD Caviar Green drive for $109. As noted above, you would have to use JMFS. For maximum space utilization, you would also have to use WinMFS to "supersize" it. You may also need to run "wdidle3" to disable the intellipark feature.

Have you divorced the external?
Yeah, I removed it from the system the other night, it took about 30 minutes to unpair and I lost all my recordings of course. Luckily I didn't have to re-set up the CableCard connections or the season passes.

I'm not entirely familiar with the steps required in the JMFS article. The WinMFS seemed simple enough though. I found a 1TB Seagate on newegg for $109 also, I wonder if the trouble is worth the extra space..

Teeps, I'm kinda in the same boat as lpwcomp, I would think it would be a bit of an annoyance to get the cable company out to re-pair the CableCard and set up all my settings again. Did you find that frustrating/slow?

Thanks again to everyone for your comments, I appreciate the discussion.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #8658
lpwcomp

Quote:
I'm not entirely familiar with the steps required in the JMFS article. The WinMFS seemed simple enough though.
With which parts of the JMFS process are you unfamiliar?

Quote:
I found a 1TB Seagate on newegg for $109 also, I wonder if the trouble is worth the extra space..
It would be to me. Plus it is a WD drive vs Seagate.

Just to be clear though. We are talking about a TiVo HD, model TCD652160, correct?

Quote:
Teeps, I'm kinda in the same boat as lpwcomp, I would think it would be a bit of an annoyance to get the cable company out to re-pair the CableCard and set up all my settings again. Did you find that frustrating/slow?
I was just pointing out that there are "hassles" associated with using a "Plug & Play" drive. The one time I replaced the drive in a THD was DIY using WinMFS (1TB drive to replace the dying stock 160GB). I would only consider using a pre-configured drive as a last resort.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #8659
steve614
what ru lookin at?

1TB vs 2TB for the same price?

Go with 2 TB (you'll be glad you did later). If you can follow the instructions to use WinMFS, then you can follow the instructions to use JMFS.
I've used it myself.

Step 1: Download JMFS and burn boot CD.
Step 2: Shut down computer, open the case and connect your source and target drives. To make things easy, disconnect any other hard drive on the system (Software shows all hard drives connected and you have to pick target and source drive).
Step 3: Boot computer with the JMFS CD and follow the prompts.
Step 4: When done, disconnect source drive and put computer back together.
Step 5: Supersize target drive with WinMFS (optional).

If you need to run the wdidle utility on a WD drive, it can be done at any time before or after using JMFS.

Seriously, the person that doesn't understand the instructions laid out in the 1st post of the JMFS thread, then they are better off buying a pre-loaded plug and play hard drive (Trust me, I'm no geek. But I do know how to follow instructions).

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 05-15-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #8660
kbelou

Quote:
With which parts of the JMFS process are you unfamiliar?

It would be to me. Plus it is a WD drive vs Seagate.

Just to be clear though. We are talking about a TiVo HD, model TCD652160, correct?

I was just pointing out that there are "hassles" associated with using a "Plug & Play" drive. The one time I replaced the drive in a THD was DIY using WinMFS (1TB drive to replace the dying stock 160GB). I would only consider using a pre-configured drive as a last resort.
I've never burned a bootable CD or played around in linux, but from the positive things I've read it certainly sounds worth doing it. I'm not completely inept, I have built my own PC and take care of simpler things, just may have to dive a bit out of my usual area for this.

Yes, it's Tivo HD TCD652160.

I agree with you about the extra hurdles involved with a pre-configured drive, I think that will be a last resort for me as well, I like to avoid getting the cable company involved as much as I can.

Do you have a link to the 2TB drive you were referring to on microcenter? Are there certain restrictions with other internal drives that I should look for when purchasing one? (I guess I'm asking why the FAQ had a list of drives that worked?)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #8661
kbelou

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
1TB vs 2TB for the same price?

Go with 2 TB (you'll be glad you did later). If you can follow the instructions to use WinMFS, then you can follow the instructions to use JMFS.
I've used it myself.

Step 2: Shut down computer, open the case and connect your source and target drives. To make things easy, disconnect any other hard drive on the system (Software shows all hard drives connected and you have to pick target and source drive).

If you need to run the wdidle utility on a WD drive, it can be done at any time before or after using JMFS.

Seriously, the person that doesn't understand the instructions laid out in the 1st post of the JMFS thread, then they are better off buying a pre-loaded plug and play hard drive (Trust me, I'm no geek. But I do know how to follow instructions).
Sorry, steve, I never meant to give the impression I couldn't follow instructions. I just meant I had never done something quite like booting to a disk I've burned to run a linux utility. Not that I couldn't learn I'm sure. It sounds like in your opinion it is certainly worth learning though.

I'll certainly take more time to learn about and get more comfortable with it. Thanks for your input!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #8662
lpwcomp

Quote:
Sorry, steve, I never meant to give the impression I couldn't follow instructions. I just meant I had never done something quite like booting to a disk I've burned to run a linux utility. Not that I couldn't learn I'm sure. It sounds like in your opinion it is certainly worth learning though.

I'll certainly take more time to learn about and get more comfortable with it. Thanks for your input!
If you've ever burned an iso file to a dvd, that's all you need to do. Nothing special. In particular, do not select any burner s/w option to make it bootable.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #8663
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:

And let me just say, I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't follow instructions. I realize it kind of seems like it looking back over the posts, but I just wanted to make a post for anyone who might happen across this thread (the "you" in my post was directed at any person that reads the thread).

Basically, an "if I can do it" post.
When I first thought of upgrading my TivoHD (before JMFS came along), I was overwhelmed and intimidated with all the info and warnings (etc.) with using WinMFS, that I decided to purchase a 1 TB plug and play drive from weaknees.
When JMFS came along allowing the ability to use a 2TB hard drive in a TivoHD, I was more comfortable with computers in general and was more willing to endure any failures.
I did my homework and my upgrade pretty much went as laid out in my earlier post.

Whatever method you decide to use, happy upgrading! That's all that matters.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 05-16-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #8664
unitron

Quote:

You don't need a DVD, just a CD-R, and find an option in your burning software to burn it as an image.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #8665
Teeps

Quote:
I guess you don't consider it a hassle to redo guided setup and all of your settings, including CableCARD pairing, and restoring all of your SP's.
Not a hassle at all.
I think of it like cleaning out the garage...
Ever done that?

Quote:

Thanks again to everyone for your comments, I appreciate the discussion.
Time Warner (Torrance) does not require a truck roll to pair cable cards.
In fact the T/W agent I spoke to even asked if I had just upgraded my TiVo!
Took less than 30 minutes including call waiting.

There is a way to deal with season passes through the online sp manager; but as I said above... it was time to clean the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

Thanks to Steve614 for illustrating what a non-hassle a DIY drive install is...
I will take the very minor inconvenience of dealing with sp and cable card pair over the above all day long...

Last edited by Teeps : 05-16-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #8666
lpwcomp

Quote:
Not a hassle at all.
I think of it like cleaning out the garage...
Ever done that?
We're both buying a new garage. You're just throwing the content out and replacing it with all new stuff. You're also implying that it is less effort to re-create the SPs you want than to remove the ones you no longer need. For most people, that is a ridiculous claim.

Quote:
Time Warner (Torrance) does not require a truck roll to pair cable cards.
In fact the T/W agent I spoke to even asked if I had just upgraded my TiVo!
Took less than 30 minutes including call waiting.
Nobody requires a truck roll any more per FCC regulations. How nice for you that it was easy. Most do not have the same experience.

Quote:
There is a way to deal with season passes through the online sp manager; but as I said above... it was time to clean the garage.
Even if I were willing to change my security settings to enable the online sp manager, it has .. deficiencies. You must also be the only one using the TiVo.

Quote:
Thanks to Steve614 for illustrating what a non-hassle a DIY drive install is...
I never claimed there wasn't some effort involved in DIY. You were the one who made that claim about a ore-configured drive.

Quote:
I will take the very minor inconvenience of dealing with sp and cable card pair over the above all day long...
Again, how nice for you. You have the luxury of spending twice the money to save yourself a bit of effort. Not all of us can afford to be that lazy.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #8667
libshea

Cool Help! Re Expanding new Premiere Elite...

I bought an "unapproved" 1TB external hard drive (not knowing Tivo only embraces one model). It's a Seagate GoFlex. I foolishly thought it was a plug and play situation, but I plugged, and restarted, but Tivo didn't recognize it... CAN that external drive BE made to work, at all? If so, how? And if so, does it really void the warranty on the Tivo? That sounds ridiculous AND exceptionally harsh... Any info appreciated. THANKS!!
libshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #8668
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Nope, sorry.
The only way to utilize that hard drive is to attach it to your computer and use it to save shows that are allowed to be transferred to computer.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #8669
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by libshea View Post
I bought an "unapproved" 1TB external hard drive (not knowing Tivo only embraces one model). It's a Seagate GoFlex. I foolishly thought it was a plug and play situation, but I plugged, and restarted, but Tivo didn't recognize it... CAN that external drive BE made to work, at all? If so, how? And if so, does it really void the warranty on the Tivo? That sounds ridiculous AND exceptionally harsh... Any info appreciated. THANKS!!
What is the model number of your TiVo?

It's on the sticker on the back, and starts with TCD.

If it's the original Series 3, TCD648250, maybe you can use something other than the approved Western Digital models.

Otherwise, when the TiVo asks, the actual drive inside the enclosure will not respond with one of the very few raw drive model numbers on the list the TiVo verifies against.

I don't know about violating the warranty, but trying to do forced mating might screw up the software on the internal drive, which won't be any fun to fix.

Probably better to hook that Seagate up to a computer and copy over shows from the TiVo and investigate replacing the TiVo's internal drive with a larger one.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #8670
lpwcomp

Quote:
What is the model number of your TiVo?
You must've missed the subject line of his post. But it does confuse me. Doesn't the Elite come with a 2TB internal and doesn't the external have to be at least as big as the internal? Actually, does the Elite support a plug and play external at all? Does any stock TiVo support more than 2TB total storage?