TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #8431
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmeida View Post
I thought anything larger than 1.1TB is wasted space for the TiVo HD?

I just bought yesterday a W10EARS at amazon for:

Items Ordered Price
1 of: Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA II 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD10EARS [Personal Computers]
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$88.89
Amazon Prime: Two-Day Shipping is free
Using jmfs you can put a 2TB in an HD or HD XL or Premiere or Premiere XL.

On an HD or HD XL you can't increase swap partition size unless you use an intermediary drive.

For example, I used WinMFS to copy the stock 160GB HD drive to a 1TB with a 1GB swap partition and then expanded, completely filling the drive, and then used jmfs to copy and expand to a 2TB.

Tried to do it with MFS Live, but that always left a little extra unpartitoned space on the 1TB, which jmfs saw as an Apple Free partition, and saw as the 16th partition, so that what it added was a 17th partition, on which the HD promptly choked--it saw it as an external that needed to be divorced, at the end of which process I had the same space used as if I had just installed the 1TB instead.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #8432
A J Ricaud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hacienda Heights, CA (Los Angeles County)
Posts: 1,065
I don't know if this is a good deal or not, given the current prices for hard drives, but Newegg has "Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive" for $139.95, free shipping, WITH PROMO CODE:
EMCJKKE22.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #8433
philt56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30
Has anyone copied with winMFS successfully a drive that was still married to an expander ? I had an 500Mb tivo expander hooked up and I started to get continuous reboots. Tried to disconnect the expander to divorce it and still just reboots and keeps saying the expander is not connected, the divorce never completes. I'm not worried about retaining recordings, I was able to copy them all with tivo desktop before the tivo went completely dead.

I know I can get a clean image to put on a new drive, but I would like to clone the existing internal HD to retain my cable card pairing. I think Comcast here in IL will insist they have to do a house call to reinstall it and charge me. (they don't allow self installs here)

I just got a new WD10EARX so I will try it in a few days when I have time, but just wondering if anyone else had success in this case? I'm worried that when I copy the drive, the new copy will still think it is still married to an expander?
philt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #8434
philt56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30
I tried to run HDDScan 3.3 on my WD10EARX drive to adjust the AAM setting and it is said not supported. Is that true for this drive or is it because I was connected with a SATA-USB cable? The setting was allowed for the internal WD drive on my laptop.
philt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #8435
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by philt56 View Post
I tried to run HDDScan 3.3 on my WD10EARX drive to adjust the AAM setting and it is said not supported. Is that true for this drive or is it because I was connected with a SATA-USB cable? The setting was allowed for the internal WD drive on my laptop.
I've seen others mention having to connect directly to the motherboard sata port to do low-level stuff like resettting AAM or changing the Intellipark settings, but I've also seen mention of some hard drives just not supporting resetting AAM at all.

I'm afraid you'll need to find someone who'll let you open up their desktop PC to find out for sure.

When you do, be sure to post the details here.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #8436
philt56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by philt56 View Post
I tried to run HDDScan 3.3 on my WD10EARX drive to adjust the AAM setting and it is said not supported. Is that true for this drive or is it because I was connected with a SATA-USB cable? The setting was allowed for the internal WD drive on my laptop.
Will try again when i'm ready to turn Intellipark off on the drive.

I am having problem now with Winfms .... Tried connecting the original drive 2 different ways. 1) eSata cable to my desktop and powered by the connection on a sata-USB cable 2) just using the usb-Sata device completely.
Both times, I can select the drive with winfms, but when I try to do the truncated backup, after about 10 sec, I get the "program has stopped working" pop up. I'm running on a Vista machine, running winfms as admin and have UAC disabled. Any ideas??? If I do view->mfsinfo, it says not a tivo drive, but when I selected it, it shows all the info about the drive.

I can backup the bootpage and kernel, but the drive backyp never succeeds.


Ok, just hooked up the usb-sata to my win7 laptop and installed winfms there. I can select the drive fine. it says Tivo A drive: (USB WD WD16) but as soon as I run the backup, I immediately get the error "Not a Tivo Drive. Backup failed!"

When I was trying to run the tivo box with this drive, I was getting the GSOD repeated if I had the expander connected.

I ran Western Digital diagnostics on the drive and it found no problems.

Last edited by philt56 : 01-09-2012 at 03:17 PM.
philt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #8437
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by philt56 View Post
Will try again when i'm ready to turn Intellipark off on the drive.

I am having problem now with Winfms .... Tried connecting the original drive 2 different ways. 1) eSata cable to my desktop and powered by the connection on a sata-USB cable 2) just using the usb-Sata device completely.
Both times, I can select the drive with winfms, but when I try to do the truncated backup, after about 10 sec, I get the "program has stopped working" pop up. I'm running on a Vista machine, running winfms as admin and have UAC disabled. Any ideas??? If I do view->mfsinfo, it says not a tivo drive, but when I selected it, it shows all the info about the drive.

I can backup the bootpage and kernel, but the drive backyp never succeeds.


Ok, just hooked up the usb-sata to my win7 laptop and installed winfms there. I can select the drive fine. it says Tivo A drive: (USB WD WD16) but as soon as I run the backup, I immediately get the error "Not a Tivo Drive. Backup failed!"

When I was trying to run the tivo box with this drive, I was getting the GSOD repeated if I had the expander connected.

I ran Western Digital diagnostics on the drive and it found no problems.
You may need to Google up how to disassemble that external drive's enclosure, take the drive out, and hook both up straight to SATA ports on your desktop, and hook up the new drive that way as well, and tell WinMFS to copy from the original drive and the expander drive to the new drive.

It seems the inability to properly divorce is causing problems getting the original drive recognized as an unmarried one.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #8438
philt56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You may need to Google up how to disassemble that external drive's enclosure, take the drive out, and hook both up straight to SATA ports on your desktop, and hook up the new drive that way as well, and tell WinMFS to copy from the original drive and the expander drive to the new drive.

It seems the inability to properly divorce is causing problems getting the original drive recognized as an unmarried one.
I'm not using anything from the old WD tivo expander. Have the original Tivo 160G HD drive and trying to back it up to a new WD10EARX internal drive I bought. I was just trying to backup the SW from the original drive.

If I took apart the expander, you think winfms knows how to read the original and the expander as if they are still married?


thanks for all the help; I really appreciate it!. I have a feeling, I'm just going to burn a new image onto the new drive and go from there.
philt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #8439
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by philt56 View Post
I'm not using anything from the old WD tivo expander. Have the original Tivo 160G HD drive and trying to back it up to a new WD10EARX internal drive I bought. I was just trying to backup the SW from the original drive.

If I took apart the expander, you think winfms knows how to read the original and the expander as if they are still married?


thanks for all the help; I really appreciate it!. I have a feeling, I'm just going to burn a new image onto the new drive and go from there.
If you want to back up shows, you'll need both drives.

If you just want to back up stuff like cable card pairings, channel lineup, season passes, thumbs ratings, etc., it still looks like you'll need both drives.

Of course since we don't know how far the divorce process got before it failed, we can't be sure it would work even using both drives.

But if you tried it, perhaps the rest of us could learn something from your results.

Of course you know what they say about pioneers being the ones with all the arrows in their backs.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #8440
philt56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you want to back up shows, you'll need both drives.

If you just want to back up stuff like cable card pairings, channel lineup, season passes, thumbs ratings, etc., it still looks like you'll need both drives.

Of course since we don't know how far the divorce process got before it failed, we can't be sure it would work even using both drives.

But if you tried it, perhaps the rest of us could learn something from your results.

Of course you know what they say about pioneers being the ones with all the arrows in their backs.
Ok, call me a wimp I just went with your HD image and downloaded it and installed on my new WD10EADX using winmfs. Everything went great other than the error 51 which I found required the clear and delete everything option to be executed. Funny it looks like my cable card still works after that completed. I think so since I was able to get Sportschannel HD, whch requires the digital preferred package.

But I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to answer all my posts!!

Here's some other things I encountered that may help others.
  1. when I tried to make the boot CD for wdidle3 from the iso file link, all I got were illegal instructions when it executedn on boot up. I used Nero ROM burning app so not sure if it was at fault?. So I ended up making a boot floppy and copied wdidle3.exe to it (from WD's download site). I realize floppies are a thing of the past but I still have one on my desktop.
  2. Please note that wdidle3 will update all WD drives on your SATA ports not just the tivo drive, so I accidentally set 4 extra drives (2 pairs of RAID 1). I went and disconnected the Tivo drive and then reran wdidle3 /r to restore them back to the default. Unfortunately I don't know what they were originally set to and whether this was appropriate to run on them, but it looks like ok for now. WD warns against running on RAID drives... So be careful when you do this! Looks like the WD10EARX works ok with it since the Tivo does restart properly.

philt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #8441
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by philt56 View Post
Ok, call me a wimp I just went with your HD image and downloaded it and installed on my new WD10EADX using winmfs. Everything went great other than the error 51 which I found required the clear and delete everything option to be executed. Funny it looks like my cable card still works after that completed. I think so since I was able to get Sportschannel HD, whch requires the digital preferred package.

But I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to answer all my posts!!

Here's some other things I encountered that may help others.
  1. when I tried to make the boot CD for wdidle3 from the iso file link, all I got were illegal instructions when it executedn on boot up. I used Nero ROM burning app so not sure if it was at fault?. So I ended up making a boot floppy and copied wdidle3.exe to it (from WD's download site). I realize floppies are a thing of the past but I still have one on my desktop.
  2. Please note that wdidle3 will update all WD drives on your SATA ports not just the tivo drive, so I accidentally set 4 extra drives (2 pairs of RAID 1). I went and disconnected the Tivo drive and then reran wdidle3 /r to restore them back to the default. Unfortunately I don't know what they were originally set to and whether this was appropriate to run on them, but it looks like ok for now. WD warns against running on RAID drives... So be careful when you do this! Looks like the WD10EARX works ok with it since the Tivo does restart properly.
I'm no RAID authority, but it's probably better if Intellipark is disabled on RAID drives and any sleep mode left to the RAID hardware or software to impose.

I used Nero to burn my wdidle3 cd, so it can be done (although I think I got the .iso from a source other than WD), but every once in a while burns fail "just because".

My floppy drive philosphy is have one on any computer you've got with a floppy port, just in case, but avoid using it any more than absolutely necessary.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #8442
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by philt56 View Post
I'm not using anything from the old WD tivo expander. Have the original Tivo 160G HD drive and trying to back it up to a new WD10EARX internal drive I bought. I was just trying to backup the SW from the original drive.

If I took apart the expander, you think winfms knows how to read the original and the expander as if they are still married?


thanks for all the help; I really appreciate it!. I have a feeling, I'm just going to burn a new image onto the new drive and go from there.
Now that the pressure is off to get your TiVo up and running again, you could try taking the external drive out of the enclosure and hooking it and the original internal drive straight to a PC motherboard, and see if you can do a WinMFS or MFS Live backup from both and the rest of us might learn something from your experience.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:40 AM   #8443
philt56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30
Tried to connect the expander directly to the eSata port on my desktop. WD Lifeguard diagnostics tool didn't see the drive at all so either the drive is dead or the case (which happened to me on a MyBook I used for PC backups). So I will have to crack it to test the drive.

Just wondering... I have 2 other Tivos, a Premiere XL and HD XL and both see the Tivo HD in Now Playing as "Tivo Box" and "Tivo" respectively. If I look at System Info on the Tivo HD, the DVR name is "Tivo HD" which is what it was called on the old drive. Not sure if it remebered that somehow or got changed when I did an update from the Tivo web site for DVR preferences. But why aren't the other boxes seeing it by that name?
I also tried renaming it to "Tivo BR" and I haven't seen that take affect anywhere other than on the MyTivo web page, which does see things like Latest Recordings for the updated box.

Any ideas what's happening?.

Update: dvr name has changed to Tivo BR on the updated box. Other Tivos still call it "Tivo". Tivo Desktop does not see it at all when picking recordings to transfer.

Rebooted the updated Tivo and it now shows up on Tivo Desktop and the other Tivos see its new dvr name under Now Playing.

Last edited by philt56 : 01-14-2012 at 01:33 AM.
philt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #8444
berryb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 55
Re-Formatting the WD DVR Expander

Without wading through hundreds of posts on the WD DVR Expander, can anyone refer me to a Post about reformatting the drive, before moving it to a new box?

I know that I had to do it one time myself, when DTV replaced my HR20 with a HR22. But I can no longer remember what I had to do!

As an owner of a brand new THR22-100 DTiVo, I'd like to move that Expander to the new TiVo.

Any Help will be gratefully appreciated! Bert Berry
berryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #8445
andyw715
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
I don't know if this is a good deal or not, given the current prices for hard drives, but Newegg has "Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive" for $139.95, free shipping, WITH PROMO CODE:
EMCJKKE22.
Just a note, this drive is now 109 at newegg.

Anyone know if thes SATA 6.0Gb/s drives would work ?
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #8446
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
Just a note, this drive is now 109 at newegg.

Anyone know if thes SATA 6.0Gb/s drives would work ?
Somewhere around here the other day someone was having trouble with a SATA and had to use a different one that could be jumpered down to 1.5Gb/s.

At least I think that's the way I remember it.

So, since a lot of the SATA TiVos came with 1.5 (so called SATA I ) drives, it's a question of whether the SATA controllers they use can handle autonegotiation or not (and I'm sure they're all old enough that the only choices are 1.5 and 3 ), and how far down the new drives can throttle themselves.

Overall I've seen more WD success stories (without regard to specific model) than the other brands.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #8447
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
Just a note, this drive is now 109 at newegg.
+ $7.86 shipping.

I know that sounds like not much, but still.

Seems like drive prices are starting to come out of the stratosphere though.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #8448
Speed Daemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryb View Post
Without wading through hundreds of posts on the WD DVR Expander, can anyone refer me to a Post about reformatting the drive, before moving it to a new box?
The new box (another TiVo? A PC? Mac?) should be able to initialize, partition and format the WD DVR Expander using its own native utilities. IMHO that's the best way to do it IMHO, provided it works without problems.

If you are having problems, error messages etc., there are other things to do. So post them here, choose the reply that you like best and give it a shot. One trick that's safe for less technical users is to use a completely different platform (manufacturer's or 3rd party utility boot discs, MacOS, Linux etc.) to re-initialize the drive to its standards, then try the native utility on the target box again.

If all else fails, I'd plug it into one of my Linux boxes, determine it's device assignment (e.g. /dev/sdc) and `cat /dev/zero > /dev/sdc' being careful that it really is sdc in this example. DON'T ATTEMPT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT ALL THAT MEANS!!! If that doesn't let the drive initialize properly, contact WD and see if they will replace it.
Speed Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #8449
Speed Daemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
+ $7.86 shipping.

I know that sounds like not much, but still.
Here's a NewEgg shipping tip: NewEgg often drop-ships, meaning that it has a deal with the hardware makers or distributors (not in every case, though) for them to ship the product straight from one of their warehouses. UPS is strict in not delivering a shipment until the day it's supposed to arrive (I suppose to keep those profitable next-day shipment orders coming), but for some reason this isn't enforced on ground shipping. I've used ground shipping for little or no cost, and have received the product the next day more times than I can count.
Speed Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #8450
Soapm
Registered User
 
Soapm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: So close, yet too far away
Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post
Here's a NewEgg shipping tip: NewEgg often drop-ships, meaning that it has a deal with the hardware makers or distributors (not in every case, though) for them to ship the product straight from one of their warehouses. UPS is strict in not delivering a shipment until the day it's supposed to arrive (I suppose to keep those profitable next-day shipment orders coming), but for some reason this isn't enforced on ground shipping. I've used ground shipping for little or no cost, and have received the product the next day more times than I can count.
Depending on how many zones the package has to cross and what time UPS receives the package this is expected. The flip side is if your package has to cross many zones and UPS says 5 days then you can take that to the bank. It will be 5 days.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #8451
porschebiker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4
Western Digital WD AV-GP 1000GB WD10EVCS available online

FYI... for anyone looking for the highly desired Western Digital WD AV-GP 1000GB WD10EVCS hard disk drive for a Tivo upgrade, the folks over at serversupply.com have them for $190/ea. They are drives pulled and tested, so they're not new. But over the past 5 years I have used this company to source hard-to-find parts for various servers and systems and everything has always worked 100% and been reliable.

Good luck!
porschebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #8452
tobijay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7
After reading i'm still a little confused..............

I have a Series 3 hd (652160)
1) can i use jmfs? yes/no
2) or should i use mfs_live
3) can i upgrade to a 2tb with the jmfs/mfs_live which would be awesome, or just upgrade to a 1 tb which would be great
4) i am using win7 is this ok yes/no

Just trying to get my mind on the right tools to usr and the right hd
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks all
tobijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #8453
porschebiker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4
@tobijay - It appears a Tivo Series 3 can go as large as 1.3TB, but it seems it will be easier to just add a 1TB drive vs wasting 700GB of a 2TB drive.

MFSTools seems to be the simplest approach.

Yes, MFS seems to run fine on Win7. I ran it last night without errors.
porschebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #8454
tobijay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7
thanks!!
tobijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #8455
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobijay View Post
After reading i'm still a little confused..............

I have a Series 3 hd (652160)
1) can i use jmfs? yes/no
2) or should i use mfs_live
3) can i upgrade to a 2tb with the jmfs/mfs_live which would be awesome, or just upgrade to a 1 tb which would be great
4) i am using win7 is this ok yes/no

Just trying to get my mind on the right tools to usr and the right hd
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks all
You can use WinMFS, and heard some even use JMFS after to expand further for a 2tb (i think). I had my THD at 1 tb and it is enough for me.
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #8456
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschebiker View Post
FYI... for anyone looking for the highly desired Western Digital WD AV-GP 1000GB WD10EVCS hard disk drive for a Tivo upgrade, the folks over at serversupply.com have them for $190/ea. They are drives pulled and tested, so they're not new. But over the past 5 years I have used this company to source hard-to-find parts for various servers and systems and everything has always worked 100% and been reliable.

Good luck!
Current Prices I just looked at amazon today:

Product Image
Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA II 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD10EARS $107.98

Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARS @$139.99
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #8457
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobijay View Post
After reading i'm still a little confused..............

I have a Series 3 hd (652160)
1) can i use jmfs? yes/no
2) or should i use mfs_live
3) can i upgrade to a 2tb with the jmfs/mfs_live which would be awesome, or just upgrade to a 1 tb which would be great
4) i am using win7 is this ok yes/no

Just trying to get my mind on the right tools to usr and the right hd
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks all
I have a 652160.

You should have a copy of the MFS Live cd even if you don't have a TiVo of any description.

I used a 1TB drive as a "man in the middle" so that I could use WinMFS to copy the original 160GB drive while increasing the size of the swap partition to 1GB and expand without having any space left over to turn into a jmfs-defeating Apple Free Partition. That gave me 15 partitions. Then I used jmfs to copy that to a 2TB drive and expand by adding a single partition.

Others have gone straight from 160GB to 2TB using just jmfs, and report success.

For a 1TB, WinMFS should work fine. I think what you have to worry about, besides the 16 partitions per drive restriction, is not having any partitions larger than 1TB.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #8458
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschebiker View Post
@tobijay - It appears a Tivo Series 3 can go as large as 1.3TB, but it seems it will be easier to just add a 1TB drive vs wasting 700GB of a 2TB drive.

MFSTools seems to be the simplest approach.

Yes, MFS seems to run fine on Win7. I ran it last night without errors.
MFS Tools has been superceeded, for several years now, by MFS Live in the Linux based command line driven arena.

To the best of my knowledge, WinMFS is the only choice for "runs on Windows".
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #8459
Speed Daemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Depending on how many zones the package has to cross and what time UPS receives the package this is expected. The flip side is if your package has to cross many zones and UPS says 5 days then you can take that to the bank. It will be 5 days.
Zones may be helpful for billing, but for ground shipping it's the miles and average speed that matters really.

For reasons unknown to me, a lot of three and even two day shipments often take a circuitous route that almost never goes through the Worldport. I don't know how many times I've seen my package originate from SoCal, go all the way up to Chico, vanish for a while only to reappear "out for delivery" with the trail picking back up at CACH and then the nearest local distribution point.

In contrast, most drop-ship orders originate from a nearby state, and then the doorbell rings and there's the UPS guy with my package. A few hours after my package arrives, the various stops along the way are finally revealed. It's a little spooky, but I'm not complaining.

True, not every drop shipment comes from so close. But given the small window there to order a 3-day delivery and have it arrive by Friday, ground is at worst just as fast as 3-day for orders shipped after Tuesday. If it arrives way early, that's a nice bonus. OTOH watching a costly 2-day package sit at the local hub for 24 hours is maddening. I understand that they have to do something to protect the costlier delivery times. But is there any real harm to send that 2-day package out for delivery on the next day if it's there? It's not like the people who absolutely must have it delivered next day are going to settle for a 50/50 chance of success/failure to save money!
Speed Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #8460
tobijay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7
Quote:
@All MFS Tools has been superceeded, for several years now, by MFS Live in the Linux based command line driven arena.
Another ?

Can i just unplug my sata hard drive from my pc and re-plug that into my tivo hard drive as the source after i take the hard drive out of my tivo... ?

And then plug in my new sata hard drive into my other sata terminal thats on the motherboard as the destination drive and then put the ISO in cd
or
do i have to purchase a PCI SATA to hook up my drives....

Again, thanks all!!
tobijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |