TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #8371
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriously_tho View Post
^^ Reading that is like reading a novel in Spanish, I get the gist of it but the nuances are lost on me

I plugged it back into the Tivo & works fine, shows 318 hours of HD space available. So I'm thinking I'm good now, no JMFS.

I'll report back here if something goes wrong, otherwise assume you can upgrade a S3 HD XL from 1tb to a 2tb drive usig only WinMFS & the stock instructions on page 1 of this thread.

Thanks all for the help, especially Unitron for talking slow enough for me to understand
How many SD hours does it show?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #8372
seriously_tho

Something like 50 kajillion.

I don't remember but it looked right.
seriously_tho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #8373
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The HD XL and the HD both come with 2 MFS pairs on the stock drive, but since the XL's drive is bigger, they are bigger.

This means adding a third MFS pair (to an XL going from the stock 1TB to a 2TB) doesn't break the supposed "no partition bigger than 1.1TB" rule, the way it would with a regular HD.

I wonder if I can use jmfs to put a 2TB in a Series 2?
Has anyone ever tried loading the XL partition table then inserting the HD software over the top? Is that even possible? It seems like you could load the XL image and expand it and all then copy in the software from the HD drive. I know DD won't work because it will destroy the partition table but copying should work???
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #8374
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Has anyone ever tried loading the XL partition table then inserting the HD software over the top? Is that even possible? It seems like you could load the XL image and expand it and all then copy in the software from the HD drive. I know DD won't work because it will destroy the partition table but copying should work???
You can dd individual partitions as well as an entire drive (or parts thereof, if you know the right numbers for the starting and ending points).

When I can take my HD back offline I'm going to try that, but I'll use dd_rescue so I can see what's going on.

To nitpick, though, it wouldn't be loading the XL partition table, it would be restoring an XL image (which would include the partition table, of course) and then overwriting partitions 2-9 with the same from a non-XL HD drive. They should be the same size on both machines.

If nothing else, it'll help some with the question of what's in which partitions.

For instance if the THX video comes up, that'll mean it's in the MFS partitions and not the OS ones.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #8375
JuryDuty
Tivoholic

I have a TCD652160 (TivoHD) whose My Tivo Expander just died.

Rather than replace the expander, I'd rather just upgrade the main unit's drive.

I've replaced several Series 2 drives and think I won't have a problem following the OP's directions for replacing this Series 3 drive...but what drive should I get to replace it? The ones on the OP all appear discontinued.

I'd prefer one that's at least 1 TB and quiet. And cheap. Can anyone help?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #8376
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuryDuty View Post
I have a TCD652160 (TivoHD) whose My Tivo Expander just died.

Rather than replace the expander, I'd rather just upgrade the main unit's drive.

I've replaced several Series 2 drives and think I won't have a problem following the OP's directions for replacing this Series 3 drive...but what drive should I get to replace it? The ones on the OP all appear discontinued.

This is a terrible time to be hard drive shopping, especially if you're somewhat financially constrained.

It may be a case not so much of what should you get as what can you find.

Have you taken the expander apart and tested the actual drive inside with the manufacturer's diagnostic software?

Are you sure it isn't just the eSATA cable gone bad, as has happened to so many people with external drives?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #8377
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Currently, hard drive prices have sky rocketed due to Thailand flooding, so there is a shortage.

I just looked on amazon.com, the WD10EARS (1tb) is at $118, usually around $60. The WD20EARS (purchased in Oct. for $70), is at $144. (FYI.)

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 12-14-2011 at 09:23 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #8378
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I'm thinking of upgrading my 540080 to a 1 Tb and was just wondering how many hours there would be.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #8379
Soapm

Quote:
To nitpick, though, it wouldn't be loading the XL partition table, it would be restoring an XL image (which would include the partition table, of course) and then overwriting partitions 2-9 with the same from a non-XL HD drive. They should be the same size on both machines..
You understood where I was going even though I did flub the technical details. If you get it to work on say a 1TB drive, can you upload a truncated copy so I can restore and expand it on to my 2TB?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #8380
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading my 540080 to a 1 Tb and was just wondering how many hours there would be.
http://www.weaknees.com/details2/rs1t0t548.php

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #8381
JuryDuty
Tivoholic

Quote:
Have you taken the expander apart and tested the actual drive inside with the manufacturer's diagnostic software?

Are you sure it isn't just the eSATA cable gone bad, as has happened to so many people with external drives?
I haven't. I ran the Tivo diagnostic and everything passed, but it's been making my shows not record, sputter, tivo reboot, etc. I removed it and the Tivo works fine.

I never figured it could be a bad cable. LOL I'll have to try another one.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #8382
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I'm running a 1TB in a 540, which I just now rebooted after a failed experiment, and in system info it says

Variable, up to 1149 hours

I upped the swap partition size to 512MB, so that number is a smidge lower than it would be with the original 128MB size swap.

Those are basic quality hours, of course.

And don't forget, a 1TB will be a SATA and the 540 is PATA, so here's the link to the recommended reading.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

Short version, get a Jmicron or Marvell chipset based adapter.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #8383
unitron

Quote:
I haven't. I ran the Tivo diagnostic and everything passed, but it's been making my shows not record, sputter, tivo reboot, etc. I removed it and the Tivo works fine.

I never figured it could be a bad cable. LOL I'll have to try another one.
If you go back to the earlier pages of this thread you'll find a lot of discussion of expanders and bad eSATA cables and the troubles they cause and how some of them seemed to go bad just sitting there.

If you removed it, didn't the TiVo complain about it being missing? At which point it would have given you the option to divorce it and made you enter a certain well-defined set of keypresses in order to do so, if I'm not mistaken. Which means the shows that were partially recorded on the expander are gone.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #8384
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Quote:
This is a terrible time to be hard drive shopping, especially if you're somewhat financially constrained.

It may be a case not so much of what should you get as what can you find.

It could be an cable gone bad, or in my case it was the cable card went south, which I had replaced this week...

a lot cheaper then replacing the drive
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #8385
filmbuddy

I too am looking for a 1 TB drive to upgrade my TCD652160 (TivoHD). I originally bought a WD10EVDS through an Amazon seller, but was sent the wrong item and I don't think they'll have a replacement. I chose the WD10EVDS over the EARS because it is supposedly a better hard drive for DVR use.

Should I grab a WD10EARS or get the newer model the WD10EARX? Or is there a comparable model to the WD10EVDS?

I know I'm screwed when it comes to the prices (I see they are more than double what they were selling for a few months ago), but I really want to get one now. Thanks.
filmbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #8386
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuddy View Post
I too am looking for a 1 TB drive to upgrade my TCD652160 (TivoHD). I originally bought a WD10EVDS through an Amazon seller, but was sent the wrong item and I don't think they'll have a replacement. I chose the WD10EVDS over the EARS because it is supposedly a better hard drive for DVR use.

Should I grab a WD10EARS or get the newer model the WD10EARX? Or is there a comparable model to the WD10EVDS?

I know I'm screwed when it comes to the prices (I see they are more than double what they were selling for a few months ago), but I really want to get one now. Thanks.
What did that seller send you, and was it new and unopened?

And do you still have it?

Old 12-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #8387
filmbuddy

Quote:
What did that seller send you, and was it new and unopened?

And do you still have it?
I had purchased it through Amazon, the seller was Warehouse Deals, Inc. (able to use Amazon Prime). The condition was Used-Like New, which to my understanding was that it was basically new with the shrinkwrap removed, so they are unable to sell it new.

There was no original box. It came to me in a plain brown box. The model was WD5000AVDS, so it was a 500 GB model.

I talked with an Amazon customer service agent who will be contacting the seller on my behalf and he'll call me Monday morning to let me know if they have the actual WD10EVDS, and if they do, I'll get it, if not, I'll get a refund... but then I will still need to purchase a 1 TB drive. *EDIT* I just got an e-mail stating that due to changing inventories it cannot be replaced. So, it looks like I do need to purchase a new one. Suggestions... WD10EARS, WD10EARX, something else?

I'm just glad that there really isn't any new episodes of TV shows on for the next few weeks.

Last edited by filmbuddy : 12-17-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #8388
unitron

Quote:
I had purchased it through Amazon, the seller was Warehouse Deals, Inc. (able to use Amazon Prime). The condition was Used-Like New, which to my understanding was that it was basically new with the shrinkwrap removed, so they are unable to sell it new.

There was no original box. It came to me in a plain brown box. The model was WD5000AVDS, so it was a 500 GB model.

I talked with an Amazon customer service agent who will be contacting the seller on my behalf and he'll call me Monday morning to let me know if they have the actual WD10EVDS, and if they do, I'll get it, if not, I'll get a refund... but then I will still need to purchase a 1 TB drive. Suggestions?

I'm just glad that there really isn't any new TV shows on for the next few weeks.
I really despise incompetent Amazon sellers.

Under those circumstances I'd have no confidence in either the drive, or a seller that can't tell a 500GB drive from a 1TB drive, or anything else they're selling.

Be sure everybody involved understands that you're done paying any shipping, and that if they don't have the product for which you've already paid, you get the cost and the cost of shipping refunded to you.

Also tell them if they want their 500GB drive back, to make an appointment to drop by and pick it up. Otherwise, they need to cover the cost to ship it back to them, and should be grateful that you're willing to go to the trouble of doing so.

Perhaps tomorrow morning's sale circulars will have a reasonable deal.

What part of the country are you in?

Old 12-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #8389
filmbuddy

Quote:
I really despise incompetent Amazon sellers.

Under those circumstances I'd have no confidence in either the drive, or a seller that can't tell a 500GB drive from a 1TB drive, or anything else they're selling.

Be sure everybody involved understands that you're done paying any shipping, and that if they don't have the product for which you've already paid, you get the cost and the cost of shipping refunded to you.

Also tell them if they want their 500GB drive back, to make an appointment to drop by and pick it up. Otherwise, they need to cover the cost to ship it back to them, and should be grateful that you're willing to go to the trouble of doing so.

Perhaps tomorrow morning's sale circulars will have a reasonable deal.

What part of the country are you in?
For the most part, they have a favorable rating, guess I just got lucky . Since I have Amazon Prime, it was free 2-day shipping. I already received a return mailing label and was notified I will be credited in full within 2 to 3 business days.

I live on Long Island, NY. I will definitely look at tomorrow's circulars, but, what 1 TB hard drives should I be looking for??? If there's nothing of note in the circulars, I have no problem ordering from Amazon directly (even though I pay sales tax with them), but I'm not sure what drive to get... WD10EARS, WD10EARX (which has a SATA 6 Gb/s interface... don't know if that could be a problem).
Old 12-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #8390
unitron

Quote:
For the most part, they have a favorable rating, guess I just got lucky . Since I have Amazon Prime, it was free 2-day shipping. I already received a return mailing label and was notified I will be credited in full within 2 to 3 business days.

I live on Long Island, NY. I will definitely look at tomorrow's circulars, but, what 1 TB hard drives should I be looking for??? If there's nothing of note in the circulars, I have no problem ordering from Amazon directly (even though I pay sales tax with them), but I'm not sure what drive to get... WD10EARS, WD10EARX (which has a SATA 6 Gb/s interface... don't know if that could be a problem).
At this point you sort of look for whatever's available unless you've got money to burn, in which case you should get a 1TB and a 2TB, restore to the 1TB, and use jmfs to copy and expand to the 2TB.

The original 160GB drive is only 1.5Gb/s, and only has 8MB of cache, so except for the 160GB part, you don't need anything better.

The EACS, EADS, or EARS models should all work fine after disabling Intellipark.

If you can find a deal on a WD Elements external and take the drive out of that it would probably be perfectly useable in an HD.

Unfortunately Target already had a closeout on them.

I'll try to get an early morning look at who's got what for how much and let you know if there's anything worth going for.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #8391
filmbuddy

Quote:
At this point you sort of look for whatever's available unless you've got money to burn, in which case you should get a 1TB and a 2TB, restore to the 1TB, and use jmfs to copy and expand to the 2TB.
I'm not a novice, although I haven't done this before, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I was planning on using the WinMFS method to upgrade my Tivo. I already have the truncated backup on my desktop. I was in the process of going to restore it to the "new" drive using WinMFS, when I noticed that it was showing a 500 GB instead of 1 TB. At that point, I stopped.

Quote:
If you can find a deal on a WD Elements external and take the drive out of that it would probably be perfectly useable in an HD.
I didn't even realize that was an option. Is it hard to remove the actual hard drive from the casing?

Quote:
I'll try to get an early morning look at who's got what for how much and let you know if there's anything worth going for.
Thanks man.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #8392
unitron

Quote:
I'm not a novice, although I haven't done this before, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I was planning on using the WinMFS method to upgrade my Tivo. I already have the truncated backup on my desktop. I was in the process of going to restore it to the "new" drive using WinMFS, when I noticed that it was showing a 500 GB instead of 1 TB. At that point, I stopped.

I didn't even realize that was an option. Is it hard to remove the actual hard drive from the casing?

Thanks man.
What you do is restore to the 1TB drive (my recommendation would be to increase the size of the swap partition when you do) with WinMFS.

Then you let WinMFS expand (which it does by adding another MFS pair).

This should use all of the space on the 1TB without any left over to become an "Apple Free" partition.

At that point you'll have 15 partitions.

Then you use jmfs to copy to a 2TB and add a single MFS partition, which will be the 16th partition, and 16 is all you can have on a single drive.

Somewhere around here I already linked to a youtube of someone showing how to open an Elements case without having to use a chainsaw.

Note that I'm talking about a plain WD Elements external with a 3.5" drive inside. There are some variations called Elements this or that which are not what you'd want.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #8393
unitron

Quote:
You understood where I was going even though I did flub the technical details. If you get it to work on say a 1TB drive, can you upload a truncated copy so I can restore and expand it on to my 2TB?
Okay I did it, overwriting partitions 2 though 9, and it worked (or appears to in a short test), but instead of the regular HD opening video (the TiVo guy popping in and out of old movies), I get the THX intro video, and there's something in guided setup about audio that I've never seen previously, so I'm getting ready to try it again, but also overwriting MFS partitions 10 and 12 (which are the same size on both HD and HD XL partition maps, 11 and 13 are where the XL's extra 840GB get used up).

Old 12-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #8394
Soapm

Quote:
Okay I did it, overwriting partitions 2 though 9, and it worked (or appears to in a short test), but instead of the regular HD opening video (the TiVo guy popping in and out of old movies), I get the THX intro video, and there's something in guided setup about audio that I've never seen previously, so I'm getting ready to try it again, but also overwriting MFS partitions 10 and 12 (which are the same size on both HD and HD XL partition maps, 11 and 13 are where the XL's extra 840GB get used up).
This is great news... Is that THX image uploaded somewhere?

Thanks for taking the time to experiment...
Old 12-18-2011, 01:39 AM   #8395
unitron

Quote:
This is great news... Is that THX image uploaded somewhere?

Thanks for taking the time to experiment...
It's not really a THX image, not after I overwrite the HD XL partitions with the regular HD partitions.

I'm sure it hasn't turned my HD into a fully functional and THX compliant HD XL.

If you actually need a TCD658000 image, I can do that.

It'll be set to boot to Guided Setup, and, of course, it'll need to be used in an HD XL to actually work properly.

If you want a TCD648160 image I can do that and tell you how to use it to fill up a 1TB drive with only 15 partitions and no leftover space so that in the future you can copy that 1TB to a 2TB with jmfs and then use jmfs to expand into the extra 1TB with a single MFS partition.

If for some reason you want to live dangerously and have an HD XL "footprint" on a 1TB drive, but with partitions 2-9 copied over from a regular HD, and have the THX intro video instead of the regular HD "TiVo guy riding in the car with Cary Grant in North by Northwest" one, I can do that, but I can't guarantee it doesn't blow up in your face at some point in the future.

Currently I'm trying the HD XL footprint on a 1TB with the HD partitions 2-9, as well as 10 and 12, overwritten on it, and after it got into a reboot loop I kickstart 58'ed it, so now it's been in a GSOD and reboot loop for at least 3 hours, so I'm declaring that a failure.

Going back and re-reading your previous, I gather you want to be able to restore an image directly to a 2TB with WinMFS that will give you 14 partitions and 1TB of leftover space in which WinMFS can create two more MFS partitions for the maximum allowable per single drive of 16.

In other words, you don't have a 1TB drive handy to act as a temporary middleman.

I'm not sure if I can trick WinMFS into making a truncated backup that restores with HD software but an HD XL footprint or not.

Let me give it a try and see what happens.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:53 AM   #8396
unitron

Quote:

Thanks man.
Target, Staples, Best Buy, OfficeMax, Office Depot, pretty much zipola.

It looks like the only things close to deals are a 1.5TB Seagate TSD-1500AS3, which is a Seagate ST1500DL003 Barracuda Green, for $99.99 in store only at CompUSA

or

a Western Digital Elements 2TB Desktop External Hard Drive WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN

for $109.99 with free shipping at newegg (you have to put it in the cart to see the price), which is less than they want for the 1TB and 1.5TB versions.

Of course that price is at least $20 more than Target wanted week before last when they were closing them out.

There are some other brand external drives, where the brand is somebody like iomega or Maxell, which means who knows what's inside them, with slightly lower than market average prices, at, if I recall, Radio Shack and OfficeMax, but as I say, who knows what brand or specs drive is inside (and of course once you open the enclosure, bye-bye warranty).

If the 160GB drive in your HD doesn't have to be replaced right away, you might want to hold off, see what happens with Amazon*, and see what's on sale after Christmas.

Right now the 1TBs in general seem to be going for almost as much as 1.5s and 2s.

*Just saw your edit, so you're screwed on that front.

I also just checked J&R, nothing exciting there.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #8397
filmbuddy

Quote:
If the 160GB drive in your HD doesn't have to be replaced right away, you might want to hold off, see what happens with Amazon*, and see what's on sale after Christmas.
Decisions, decisions. Well, I did say that for the most part there aren't any new episodes of shows on for the next couple of weeks, so, I can probably wait. Does anyone know if traditionally hard drives go on sale post-Christmas? Or does the Thailand situation make that moot?
Old 12-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #8398
unitron

Quote:
Decisions, decisions. Well, I did say that for the most part there aren't any new episodes of shows on for the next couple of weeks, so, I can probably wait. Does anyone know if traditionally hard drives go on sale post-Christmas? Or does the Thailand situation make that moot?
I think the Thailand thing means we mere mortals won't know in advance.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #8399
filmbuddy

If I can get a WD10EURS, brand new, factory sealed for $120, should I?
Old 12-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #8400
Soapm

Quote:
If for some reason you want to live dangerously and have an HD XL "footprint" on a 1TB drive, but with partitions 2-9 copied over from a regular HD, and have the THX intro video instead of the regular HD "TiVo guy riding in the car with Cary Grant in North by Northwest" one, I can do that, but I can't guarantee it doesn't blow up in your face at some point in the future.
I will take any and all of the images you want to share since living dangerously fits my "bull in a china shop" approach to a T. However, I will say that I am less than 1TB of free space on the 2TB that I manually hacked instead of using any of the scripts. I think that's the furthest I've ever gotten it before the 20 minute reboots start up.

Quote:
Going back and re-reading your previous, I gather you want to be able to restore an image directly to a 2TB with WinMFS that will give you 14 partitions and 1TB of leftover space in which WinMFS can create two more MFS partitions for the maximum allowable per single drive of 16.
I meant what you did and not what I said... LOL

Glad you understood...

Just curious, what's the difference in the partition tables between the XL and the HD? Were you by chance able to increase the swap partition? Can you post them? I'm mainly interested in the MFS partitions 10 and above...