Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #8281
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
You can get this one at Office Depot now. Not sure how long their supply will last for this price. http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...GP-WD20EURS-2/ $101.95 for 2TB is good.
I went there to try to get a 1TB WD drive for $59.99 but the sale was cancelled and the price was $121.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #8282
MeInDallas

I just tried to get one and it came back "out of stock" once I got to the page to actually buy it with my credit card.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #8283
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
You can get this one at Office Depot now. Not sure how long their supply will last for this price. http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...GP-WD20EURS-2/ $101.95 for 2TB is good.
If you look a little more closely you'll see that's the price per drive on a pack of 20 drives, so you'll need 20 TiVos you want to upgrade or 19 friends with a TiVo apiece.

In a situation like that I'd want to be very sure ahead of time who warranties those drives for what for how long. Sometimes there is no factory warranty on OEM drives, and that's what these might be.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:58 PM   #8284
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymeister View Post
I need undertake an internal upgrade for my TiVo HD, and was wondering if anyone could provide an updated recommendation for a 1 TB drive? I was looking at the WD Av-gp drives, but am a little intimidated by the steps to disable the intellipark feature. Are there any non-green drives that have proven to work well and are relatively quiet?
If you have the ability to burn a cd, a computer that will boot from that cd, and you can attach the WD drive to a SATA port on that computer, running wdidle3 to disable intellipark is more of a time-consuming annoyance than an actual challenge.

(although if your computer has a GigaByte brand motherboard, say so, so that I can advise you on how to keep it from adding a Host Protected Area to that hard drive)

As for which drive to get, the Thailand flood damage seems to have changed the answer to that question to whichever one you can find that doesn't involve selling body parts, your wife's jewelry, or your first born.

Do you have an HD (TCD652160) and are you still running the original 160GB drive?

Old 11-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #8285
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you look a little more closely you'll see that's the price per drive on a pack of 20 drives
I dunno why I didnt see that! Too much turkey I think
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:53 AM   #8286
lrhorer

Quote:
As for which drive to get, the Thailand flood damage seems to have changed the answer to that question to whichever one you can find that doesn't involve selling body parts, your wife's jewelry, or your first born.
Good heavens! I would never sell my wife's jewelry. Now my wife on the other hand...

I've tried to pay people to take my firstborn.

Nobody wants my body parts, either.

lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #8287
tvalleau

Simple(?) replace drive question

Hi. I've got a Tivo Premier. I see that Weaknees wants $200 for a 320 GB replacement drive.
Ummm... I can buy a new Premier unit for $80. Is there some reason I couldn't buy one; yank out the drive; throw away the other hardware and use that drive for a replacement in the other unit?
After all, that saves $120...

Last edited by tvalleau : 11-29-2011 at 01:57 PM.
tvalleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #8288
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvalleau View Post
Hi. I've got a Tivo Premier. I see that Weaknees wants $200 for a 320 GB replacement drive.
Ummm... I can buy a new Premier unit for $80. Is there some reason I couldn't buy one; yank out the drive; throw away the other hardware and use that drive for a replacement in the other unit?
After all, that saves $120...
Not as long as you agree to send the gutted unit to me.

I think you've found a loophole, there, although doesn't the $80 price require a service committment? Seriously, I wouldn't throw the unit away. I would recommend keeping it for spare parts. At the very least, you could sell it on e-bay for $15 or so plus shipping.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #8289
tvalleau

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Not as long as you agree to send the gutted unit to me.

I think you've found a loophole, there, although doesn't the $80 price require a service committment? Seriously, I wouldn't throw the unit away. I would recommend keeping it for spare parts. At the very least, you could sell it on e-bay for $15 or so plus shipping.
Well, isn't the agreement attached to the unit, not its internal hard drive?

And, do you happen to know if the drives inside the Premier are SATA these days...
Old 11-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #8290
lrhorer

Quote:
Well, isn't the agreement attached to the unit, not its internal hard drive?
Yes, but if so, you are still required to pay it.

Quote:
And, do you happen to know if the drives inside the Premier are SATA these days...
Yes, they are. So are the drives in the S3 class machines.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #8291
tvalleau

Quote:
Yes, but if so, you are still required to pay it.
OK... now I'm confused. I have a Tivo (call it box A), with a lifetime subscription. Everything is up and running just fine. I just want an emergency replacement drive, in case something happens to the drive in Box A.

I thought if you replaced the hard drive in Box A, the lifetime subscription would not be affected. (In fact, I did that with an old Philips unit and a Weaknees drive several years back.)

Why can't I simply buy an $80 box; (box B) open it up; take out the drive; pull the drive out of Box A (the one I have with a lifetime subscription) and put the Box B drive in?

Are you saying that I'd have to have another subscription? That doesn't sound right to me...

Also, if both drives are good (drive A, my current one) and drive B (from the newly purchased unit) is there something preventing me from doing a hardware-level block-by-block copy of A to B, and then inserting B?

Sorry to be a bother, but this seems so simple.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #8292
lrhorer

Quote:
OK... now I'm confused. I have a Tivo (call it box A), with a lifetime subscription. Everything is up and running just fine. I just want an emergency replacement drive, in case something happens to the drive in Box A.

I thought if you replaced the hard drive in Box A, the lifetime subscription would not be affected. (In fact, I did that with an old Philips unit and a Weaknees drive several years back.)

Why can't I simply buy an $80 box; (box B) open it up; take out the drive; pull the drive out of Box A (the one I have with a lifetime subscription) and put the Box B drive in?
You most certainly can. You will have to do a Clear and Delete, and then run guided setup again, but otherwise it's SOP.

Quote:
Are you saying that I'd have to have another subscription? That doesn't sound right to me...
I could very easily be wrong, but I was of the impression that in order to get the $80 pricing, one had to agree to a subscription. If I am wrong, then indeed there seems little in the way of a down side to your idea. If I am right, though, then you are committed to pay a monthly fee for the unit whether you use it or not.

Quote:
Also, if both drives are good (drive A, my current one) and drive B (from the newly purchased unit) is there something preventing me from doing a hardware-level block-by-block copy of A to B, and then inserting B?
No, nothing at all. The dd utility will work just fine to do a byte-by-byte copy. If both drives are good, though, why bother?

Quote:
Sorry to be a bother, but this seems so simple.
Well, yeah, it is. The only question is whether you can get a new unit for $80 without agreeing to a service plan, or not. I did not think you could, but I could very easily be wrong. If I'm wrong, then there is no bar to your doing what you propose.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #8293
tvalleau

Thanks! :-)

First, thanks for your courtesy. I thought it was pretty simple.

Yes: you can buy the box for $81 on Amazon.com. (I just did go ahead and buy a spare.) You need a subscription only if you buy it from Tivo itself.

(As to the mystery of my question about the hardware block copy [I've got a machine for that] it was simply for two reasons.
1) had you said there was something unique about the drive-vs-subscription, a block-copy would have taken care of that... and..
2) a block copy will preserve my settings etc. In fact, the unit should not know that there's even been a drive swap.

No point in doing it now, but three years or so down the road, when the current drive starts going south, I can block copy, and "pick up where I left off."

(And FWIW, when I asked the support folks on Weaknees about this, you wouldn't believe how fast they cut off the conversation! :-)

So shoot: I just invested $80; got a replacement drive (320) and lots of spare parts! Works for me.

Check TiVo TCD746320 on Amazon!

hth

Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #8294
lrhorer

Quote:
First, thanks for your courtesy. I thought it was pretty simple.
OK, sure. You certainly didn't say anything that I would think would prompt a rude answer. Far be it from me to pass up such an opportunity.

Quote:
Yes: you can buy the box for $81 on Amazon.com. (I just did go ahead and buy a spare.) You need a subscription only if you buy it from Tivo itself.
Wow. That's... wow.

Quote:
(As to the mystery of my question about the hardware block copy [I've got a machine for that] it was simply for two reasons.
1) had you said there was something unique about the drive-vs-subscription, a block-copy would have taken care of that... and..
'Nary a bit.

Quote:
2) a block copy will preserve my settings etc. In fact, the unit should not know that there's even been a drive swap.
Well, actually, it does. The drive does have a unique internal serial number which it reports to the OS, and TiVo, Inc can actually tell the drive has been replaced. There have been a couple of reports of TiVo refusing to honor a warranty on a unit which has had its drive replaced, but even this seems to be unusual. Otherwise, there is no operational impact. I have 3 active TiVos of my own, and I have purchased several others in the past. Every one has had at least one drive replacement done, and some have had 3 or 4 upgrades. All three of the current Tivos have had at least one upgrade using dd_rescue.

Quote:
No point in doing it now, but three years or so down the road, when the current drive starts going south, I can block copy, and "pick up where I left off."
Well, actually, there is. Doing the copy now and putting one of the drives on the shelf will be easier than trying to save a failing drive later. That, plus the drive may not fail gracefully. It may just suddenly croak.

Quote:
(And FWIW, when I asked the support folks on Weaknees about this, you wouldn't believe how fast they cut off the conversation! :-)
Hmm. I wonder why.

Quote:
So shoot: I just invested $80; got a replacement drive (320) and lots of spare parts! Works for me.
Yeah, I would say so.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-29-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #8295
lpwcomp

Quote:
You most certainly can. You will have to do a Clear and Delete, and then run guided setup again, but otherwise it's SOP.
Clear and Delete what? There's nothing to clear and delete. No recordings, no SPs, no settings. When you power up the box after the switch, it should be just like powering up a new TiVo for the first time.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #8296
unitron

Quote:
Well, actually, it does. The drive does have a unique internal serial number which it reports to the OS, and TiVo, Inc can actually tell the drive has been replaced. There have been a couple of reports of TiVo refusing to honor a warranty on a unit which has had its drive replaced, but even this seems to be unusual. ...
Are you sure these were cases of the drive's serial number being taken note of, or just the TiVo taking notice that the drive was larger than the original?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #8297
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Clear and Delete what? There's nothing to clear and delete. No recordings, no SPs, no settings. When you power up the box after the switch, it should be just like powering up a new TiVo for the first time.
The hard drive is essentially paired with the TSN of the Tivo it resides in.
If you take a hard drive from one Tivo and install it in another (of the same model) with a different TSN, you have to run clear and delete before it will work properly.

It would probably work enough to get you through guided setup, but it will not record shows without doing C&D first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #8298
lrhorer

Quote:
Are you sure these were cases of the drive's serial number being taken note of, or just the TiVo taking notice that the drive was larger than the original?
Well, no, not at all sure. The drive does have a unique ID, however, and the make and model are also reported (which is why and how only the WD external drives are supported.) How much notice TiVo takes of a shifting ID, I don't know.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #8299
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
The hard drive is essentially paired with the TSN of the Tivo it resides in.
If you take a hard drive from one Tivo and install it in another (of the same model) with a different TSN, you have to run clear and delete before it will work properly.

It would probably work enough to get you through guided setup, but it will not record shows without doing C&D first.
When the drive is from a TiVo that had been in use, clear and delete will have to be performed, but I was under the impression that this would be automatic anyway. When the drive is from a new, never used TiVo, there is nothing to clear and delete.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #8300
zabolots

I've tried searching within this thread but surprisingly I couldn't find the answer to this seemingly simple question: does the process for internal drive replacement described in this thread work with Premier units? Does WinMFS support TiVo Premiers?

The reason I ask is that I pulled my original drive and put it and a new 1TB drive in my PC. I tried to backup my original drive and I get an error that says "Not a Tivo Drive". mfscopy displays: "Error Number: 1 Error Message: Unknown error has occurred".
zabolots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #8301
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabolots View Post
I've tried searching within this thread but surprisingly I couldn't find the answer to this seemingly simple question: does the process for internal drive replacement described in this thread work with Premier units? Does WinMFS support TiVo Premiers?

The reason I ask is that I pulled my original drive and put it and a new 1TB drive in my PC. I tried to backup my original drive and I get an error that says "Not a Tivo Drive". mfscopy displays: "Error Number: 1 Error Message: Unknown error has occurred".
No. The Premiere drive is apparently "formatted"(?) differently. Use the JMFS procedure for Premiere, in the Premiere Upgrade thread, in the "Tivo Upgrade Center" forum.

Have you re-installed the original drive back into the Premiere?
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #8302
crowfan
The Dude abides

Are the compatible drives listed in the OP current? My S3 just kicked the bucket and I'm going to replace the drive (I want the largest one I can get) but I'm not sure what drive to buy. I'd like to get it from Amazon.

Thanks!

crowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #8303
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfan View Post
Are the compatible drives listed in the OP current? My S3 just kicked the bucket and I'm going to replace the drive (I want the largest one I can get) but I'm not sure what drive to buy. I'd like to get it from Amazon.

Thanks!
By S3 do you mean a TCD648250?

Old 12-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #8304
crowfan
The Dude abides

I'll have to check when I get home tonight, but it's a Series 3 (with the screen on the front that displays the time and the names of the shows being recorded). I bought it pretty much right after it was released. The TSN starts with 648 if that helps. Thanks.

{ETA: According to this page on Weaknees, yes, it is a TCD648250.}

Last edited by crowfan : 12-02-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #8305
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I went there to try to get a 1TB WD drive for $59.99 but the sale was cancelled and the price was $121.
Did you go there, the actual bricks and mortar store, in person, in response to a printed ad from the newspaper, and did they tell you, not that the ad was a misprint, but that the sale had been cancelled, even though they still had that model in stock?

If so, I'd have pointed out to them that they were guilty of fraud and false advertising and contacted my state's attorney general.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #8306
unitron

Quote:

Thanks!
Due to the recent devastating flooding in Thailand, this is, from a price and selection standpoint, the worst time in years to be buying a hard drive.

That said, tell us what models you're looking at so far.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #8307
crowfan
The Dude abides

Oh I know. Wish my S3 didn't pick this time to get worse, but it did. It has been acting erratically for a couple of months, and last night it got stuck in a reboot loop for an hour. Eventually it came back on. But I don't want to wait for it to die completely.

I was just randomly looking for 1 TB drives on Amazon, but I'm reading that so many drives have compatibility issues, etc., that I'm nervous to buy. Here's one I was looking at. No idea where to start really, and it doesn't look like the OP has been updated in a while so I'm not sure if those drives are current.

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #8308
unitron

Quote:
Oh I know. Wish my S3 didn't pick this time to get worse, but it did. It has been acting erratically for a couple of months, and last night it got stuck in a reboot loop for an hour. Eventually it came back on. But I don't want to wait for it to die completely.

I was just randomly looking for 1 TB drives on Amazon, but I'm reading that so many drives have compatibility issues, etc., that I'm nervous to buy. Here's one I was looking at. No idea where to start really, and it doesn't look like the OP has been updated in a while so I'm not sure if those drives are current.

Thanks!
Before I paid that much I think I'd take a chance on the $90 1TB Hitachi CompuUSA is pushing right now

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...sku=TSD-1000H6

although I got a WD20EADS from them a few months ago and wasn't very impressed with the way they boxed it for shipping.

(also I've recently had a couple of Hitachi 500GB drives out of Buffalo Linkstations go bad with no warning, so I'm not convinced that Deskstar doesn't still equal Deathstar)

Right now I'm using a couple of these Samsungs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185

in single tuner S2s and they've been working fine for about 3 months now, and the packing was much better. (and the price was about $50 when I bought them)

Based on that I'd consider the 5200rpm version

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152173

which is $10 cheaper and should run cooler.

If you can find a good price on a WD10EACS or WD10EARS I'd say get a copy of wdidle3 and go for it.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #8309
crowfan
The Dude abides

Thanks.

I've upgraded drives before and it went fine, but the whole wdidle thing makes me nervous. I've never had to deal with that before.

Is there some feature that makes a drive compatible/not compatible?

Old 12-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #8310
unitron

Quote:
Thanks.

I've upgraded drives before and it went fine, but the whole wdidle thing makes me nervous. I've never had to deal with that before.
Piece o' cake.

Hook the drive straight to the motherboard (as long as it's not a GigaByte brand board), boot from the cd with wdidle3 on it, which lands you at a dos prompt, at which point you type

wdidle3 /d

and it disables intellipark or sets the "how long it waits to park the heads after noticing lack of activity on the data cable" interval to over an hour, which amounts to disabling it.

You should disconnect any other hard drives before doing this.

Quote:
Is there some feature that makes a drive compatible/not compatible?
Well, there's Western Digital's Intellipark, which screws up soft reboots, which it why it needs disabling.

Otherwise, not that I know of. Apparently people are using "advanced format" drives (4096 byte sectors instead of the traditional 512 byte sectors) with S3s and S4s without problems.

Now if we were talking Series 1 TiVos, that'd be a whole different conversation. Those things are finicky.