TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #8251
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm going to make a wild guess that the "jmfs has no option to change swap partition size" restriction may have had a lot to do with it.
Looks like he manually resized his partitions??? At least I don't have any called hack and he appears to be using the apple free partition...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #8252
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Looks like he manually resized his partitions??? At least I don't have any called hack and he appears to be using the apple free partition...
Judging by that map I'd say he's not using it so much as is saddled with it.

It appears that he's using a 2TB drive but the TiVo's only using about 1TB of it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #8253
lrhorer

Quote:
Just curious, any reason you stuck with a 128M Swap? I see people increasing their swap size, any benefit in doing that?
Frankly, I didn't even think about it until after I had upgraded all three drives. Silly me. At that point, I didn't want to go back and re-do everything. Usually there is no great advantage to increasing the swap size, but there are some instances where it can help prevent issues, especially during a GSOD. There are some reports that it may possibly help alleviate issues with a Tuning Adapter, as well.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #8254
lrhorer

Quote:
Judging by that map I'd say he's not using it so much as is saddled with it.

It appears that he's using a 2TB drive but the TiVo's only using about 1TB of it.
This drive is married to an external drive. Until I divorce that drive, I can't expand it any further, or I will lose all the recordings. At some point I expect to divorce the external drive, at which point I can make full use of this drive. Until then, it's no big deal.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #8255
lrhorer

Quote:
Correct, or at least the ext2 partitions. 'Not the MFS partitions. I renamed the (formerly) unused partitions 2 and 5 and expanded them to 256M. They are both mounted in subdirectories of /var. I think I also increased all the other ext2 partitions and then copied over the content manually.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #8256
lrhorer

Quote:
I'm going to make a wild guess that the "jmfs has no option to change swap partition size" restriction may have had a lot to do with it.
No, this is an S3. Jmfs won't work on it. I simply forgot, that's all. I thought about going back and expanding the swap on all three TiVos after I had finished, but I decided it was just too much trouble. I guess I could go in and move the swap area to the end of the drives, increasing it to 256M or 512M...
Old 11-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #8257
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
No, this is an S3. Jmfs won't work on it. I simply forgot, that's all. I thought about going back and expanding the swap on all three TiVos after I had finished, but I decided it was just too much trouble. I guess I could go in and move the swap area to the end of the drives, increasing it to 256M or 512M...
Can TiVo find/work with a swap partition that's not partiton 8, as long as it's named swap?

Old 11-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #8258
lrhorer

Quote:
Can TiVo find/work with a swap partition that's not partiton 8, as long as it's named swap?
It doesn't matter what the name is, and it doesn't actually matter what the number of the partition is, per se. It just has to be formatted as swap and it has to be defined in /etc/fstab. (And swapping needs to be turned on.) Of course on an unmodified TiVo, it's probably not possible to change /etc/fstab. In the Apple partition map, however, partition 8 doesn't need to be the 8th partition on the drive. That is to say its sectors do not have to fall between the end of the 7th partition and the beginning of the 9th. Partition #8 can be at the end of the drive, or the beginning of the drive, or wherever. Thus, even without modifying any of the files on the TiVo, one may simply delete the #8 partition and then add it back with a starting sector somewhere else on the drive. The only rule is the area had better not overlap any other area defined as a partition. Once the new area is mapped, it can be formatted as swap.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #8259
pghkirwan

Big Grin Sometimes I wish I paid more attention

My experience began about 10 days or so ago - pixelizing on the screen, random re-boots, all kinds of mysterious things.

I have (had) an S3 that I've had for a few years (a 648250 model) with a 1TB My Book AV extension drive that began giving us some problems.

From another thread on a soon-to-be-dead S3, I read enough to determine that a capacitor wasn't behaving properly. With the advice from everybody on that thread, I was able to locate the offending capacitor, found a local TV repair shop who had the part, and, more importantly, the time to replace said capacitor (for a whopping $10, parts and labor), I was able to get the board back in my S3 only to find out that wasn't the only cause. Following the advice on that board, I ran KS57 and found the external drive was not behaving as it should.

Which brought me to this thread, fortunately. From the advice I found here, I ended up replacing both drives with an internal 1TB WD10EARS drive. Which I just finished installing, in time to record the 2 shows we watch on Friday nites at 8pm.

My wife downloaded 90% of the shows off the S3 onto our THD (the one with the original HD and a 500GB extension). So, we were able to save most of the shows we wanted to watch.

We're a Mac household - 2 iMacs and a PBP. One of the iMacs runs Windows 7 using Parallels 6. Following the guidance of the sages here, I went to MFSLive.org and downloaded WinMFS. Once I realized that, using Parallels you have to go to the menu bar /Devices and tell Parallels you're using the USB to SATA Hard Drive Adapter, WinMFS recognized the old HD and then the new HD. That part was easy and accomplished in ~20 minutes. (I kept the SPM fortunately)

Being daring and hoping that since I'm using Tivo 11.0 software, all those warnings about the WD10EARS drive and the Intellipark issues were a thing of the past - they weren't. Which led to the next round of frustration, especially since I only have an ancient Dell 4600C with IDE drives. Fortunately my son-in-law, who was working from home today, has a couple of computers with SATA drives and he was willing to help - I told him it shouldn't take long.

What I missed in the instructions is that once you download the FDOEM.iso file, you have to use the appropriate software to make it a bootable disk. Only took about 1 1/2 hours to figure that out. Soooo, I made a second trip out today and, it did only take 5 minutes to use wdidle3 and take of that Intellipark issue. (Side note - you can download wdidle3_1_05 from the WD support website at http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...id=609&sid=113. It reads that it's for a WD RE2-GP but, if you nose around in the community forums you'll find that it's also used for other drives.

So, the end result is, thanks to the advice I gathered from this community, our S3 has a brand new 1TB HD with 157 HD hour capacity.

Sorry for the long post, but I did want to thank everyone who's posted and provided valuable information on these threads.

Don
pghkirwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #8260
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghkirwan View Post
My wife downloaded 90% of the shows off the S3 onto our THD (the one with the original HD and a 500GB extension). So, we were able to save most of the shows we wanted to watch.
Don't get complacent. The 500GB extenders had a worse reliability record than the 1TB ones. It won't be long before you're replacing the disk/extender in your THD.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #8261
ccrider2

Think I might have an S3 drive issue....What do you think?

-Getting pixelation on recorded material.
-Getting pixelation on menus.
-No pixelation on live TV, that's why I'm asking here before I go shopping for a new drive....I figured it would do it all the time, since it always records. I tried rewinding a live show and immediately I get pixelation.

I tried moving all the recordings to the PC, but they all have the same issue there, so I assume they're all toast.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance,
ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #8262
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
Think I might have an S3 drive issue....What do you think?

-Getting pixelation on recorded material.
-Getting pixelation on menus.
-No pixelation on live TV, that's why I'm asking here before I go shopping for a new drive....I figured it would do it all the time, since it always records. I tried rewinding a live show and immediately I get pixelation.

I tried moving all the recordings to the PC, but they all have the same issue there, so I assume they're all toast.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance,
When you say no pixelation on live TV, do you mean bypassing the TiVo altogether, as in how you'd have to watch if the TiVo were unplugged from the wall socket?

Old 11-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #8263
ccrider2

Quote:
When you say no pixelation on live TV, do you mean bypassing the TiVo altogether, as in how you'd have to watch if the TiVo were unplugged from the wall socket?
No.....Watching the actual TiVo with the buffer caught-up.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #8264
unitron

Quote:
No.....Watching the actual TiVo with the buffer caught-up.
That comes off of the hard drive just like anything else you watch on the TiVo, so I'd expect it to have the same problems or lack thereof as anything else coming off of the hard drive.

Those recordings copied to PC, are you getting the pixelation when you play them back on the computer with Windows Media Player or whatever?

Do you record at best quality?

When you say the menus are pixelated, do you mean like TiVo Central? Where you can't see or hear any of what's tuned in or being recorded?

Old 11-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #8265
ccrider2

Quote:
That comes off of the hard drive just like anything else you watch on the TiVo, so I'd expect it to have the same problems or lack thereof as anything else coming off of the hard drive.

Those recordings copied to PC, are you getting the pixelation when you play them back on the computer with Windows Media Player or whatever?

Do you record at best quality?

When you say the menus are pixelated, do you mean like TiVo Central? Where you can't see or hear any of what's tuned in or being recorded?
Y
Y ..... I think so....Not really sure, but they look good to me.
Y

Well....I pulled the plug and rebooted, pixelation is gone for now. Hopefully something just got 'squirrelly' and won't happen again. Think I'll try to move the files to an external PC drive again.

Thanks for Responding!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #8266
unitron

Quote:
Y
Y ..... I think so....Not really sure, but they look good to me.
Y

Well....I pulled the plug and rebooted, pixelation is gone for now. Hopefully something just got 'squirrelly' and won't happen again. Think I'll try to move the files to an external PC drive again.

Thanks for Responding!
Let's see, strange, inconsistent symptoms.

Open that puppy up and inspect the capacitors in the power supply.

A power supply that's not quite 100% can cause all sorts of strange symptoms, like only one of two tuners working, or a crash and reboot when you put in a cable card, or other weird stuff.

Read the wikipedia article on "capacitor plague" and then go to badcaps.net and read what they have to educate yourself on what to look for and what quality of replacement capacitors to get if necessary.

And click on my user name and search my posts for the word "capacitor" or "capacitors", I've pontificated on them rather extensively of late.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #8267
ccrider2

unitron,
Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #8268
jjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Well, after six or seven years of answering thousands of questions and spending untold hours giving guidance to others on this and a good half-dozen other threads that AFAIK has been correct more often than not...hey, I'm ready to retire and you young bucks take over!

So step up and have fun all!
Sad to see you leave rich Your help in the past has helped unknown users. I wonder if that's what happened with bkdtv, never did get a farewell so no one really knows what happened in his case
Take care and spend time just enjoying your Tivo
jjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #8269
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Sad to see you leave rich Your help in the past has helped unknown users. I wonder if that's what happened with bkdtv, never did get a farewell so no one really knows what happened in his case
He's still on the site, hanging with the Mac and iPad users, he just withdrew from the hard drive wars. A much greater loss for us than for him.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #8270
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I agree, he will enter the annuls with vets like RBaucht, DaGoon etc... and the list goes on.

YOur input will be missed...
Old 11-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #8271
lrhorer

Quote:
He's still on the site, hanging with the Mac and iPad users, he just withdrew from the hard drive wars. A much greater loss for us than for him.
You have a great flair for understatement. His contributions to this thread were invaluable.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #8272
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
You have a great flair for understatement. His contributions to this thread were invaluable.
I should regret it to be thought that I undervalued his contributions.

Actually he just popped up again in the Premiere upgrade with jmfs thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...39#post8818939

Old 11-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #8273
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Well, after six or seven years of answering thousands of questions and spending untold hours giving guidance to others on this and a good half-dozen other threads that AFAIK has been correct more often than not...hey, I'm ready to retire and you young bucks take over!

So step up and have fun all!
Wow. It's the end of an era. I can't say I blame you though. I imagine it's a pretty time consuming job. You have helped a lot of us enjoy our TiVo's a lot more than if you hadn't been around. Thanks for the time here Rich. You did a lot to help a lot of people. In the end, that's the stuff that really counts...

Yikes that sounds like a eulogy... I'll see you in the Mac thread! I hope not to have to change any HDD's for a long time. My next box is a Premiere Elite and that's already got a 2 TB.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #8274
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Yikes that sounds like a eulogy... I'll see you in the Mac thread! I hope not to have to change any HDD's for a long time. My next box is a Premiere Elite and that's already got a 2 TB.
We're hoping Tivo will break the 2TB barrier soon. 4 HD tuners need more room to breath...
Old 11-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #8275
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
We're hoping Tivo will break the 2TB barrier soon. 4 HD tuners need more room to breath...
Don't tempt me...
Old 11-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #8276
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Don't tempt me...
Tempt you? If you can actually do it, they'll probably bribe you.

TiVo owners, that is, not TiVo, Inc. (but at least they probably won't disappear you )

Old 11-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #8277
rymeister

I need undertake an internal upgrade for my TiVo HD, and was wondering if anyone could provide an updated recommendation for a 1 TB drive? I was looking at the WD Av-gp drives, but am a little intimidated by the steps to disable the intellipark feature. Are there any non-green drives that have proven to work well and are relatively quiet?
rymeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #8278
MeInDallas

If you get a AV-GP then you dont have to disable the Intellipark. Only on the regular green drives do you have to do that. The ones that are meant for DVR's you do not have to WDIDLE3 them.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #8279
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
If you get a AV-GP then you dont have to disable the Intellipark. Only on the regular green drives do you have to do that. The ones that are meant for DVR's you do not have to WDIDLE3 them.
@rymeister... Thailand's flooding has messed seriously w/WD's HDD output. Their AV drives aren't easy to find unless you're an OEM... Here's one on Amazon...

http://goo.gl/7JNuA

While these are great for your TiVo don't try to reappropriate an AV HDD for PC use since error-checking isn't a priority for video... TiVo is a sort of a mixed use since the software is on the HDD... along with the captured video stream.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #8280
MeInDallas

You can get this one at Office Depot now. Not sure how long their supply will last for this price. http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...GP-WD20EURS-2/ $101.95 for 2TB is good.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote