TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #8011
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
Does this mean I can not use a 1GB drive that was created with instantcake? My original dirive was killed by the external drive fiasco.
As long as it has the current OS and you're upgrading to a larger drive you shouldn't have any problem.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #8012
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yep, I noticed that. That's why I had asked Gowan if he had done that.

For the upgrade that I did, I installed the original drive Saturday a week ago. I forgot that I did a C&D before I originally pulled it, so I had to do guided setup when I re-installed it. I forced the calls to get the guide data and software update, and then let the Tivo run ~28 hours.
After that, I swapped drives again so I could finish watching the shows I couldn't transfer.
I did the upgrade just last weekend (almost a week later) so I knew I was going to be short a week on guide data.

After the fact, I did wonder if that 1st step was really necessary since the Tivo is pretty good at updating itself.
Wow...hope you have an electric screwdriver and a Torx bit!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #8013
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
Does this mean I can not use a 1GB drive that was created with instantcake? My original dirive was killed by the external drive fiasco.
You might want to read this post before proceeding.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #8014
dannew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3
Successful TivoHD Upgrade with WD Caviar Black

I've had my TivoHD for just over three year and this past weekend my 500G external died on me (I opened it up and see that its a stinking WD Green), I've tried all the tricks to get it back, but it's really doa, so I found the WD black at best buy for 109, but what I really like about it was the 5 year warranty. (note: You must email the proof of purchase in to WD to get the 5 years, if you just register online you only get 3 years). Thanks to you folks and all your instructions, I decided to NOT use the drive as another external, but to put it inside and remove the 160G - after all, who knows how many months or days it may have left. I contacted WD and they said the Blacks don't have automatic head parking so I don't have to wdidle3 it, can anyone confirm? Anyway, I WINMFS'd a backup copy and then copied the 160G over to the 1TB and answered the maximize question affirmative. I put it back in and now I have the 144 hours of HD with no external eating extra juice and a drive that should last longer then the Tivo itself, hopefully until 2016 It blows my mind that you found a way to start using over 1.2TB of space internally now, had I know that I might have purchased the 2 TB WD Black. To do all this (I don't have a PC with SATA ability) I purchase a USB dock with two slots in it (69$ at bestbuy), this could be an answer to the individual asking about how to do this on an Apple. If you can bootcamp or virtualize a windows environment on your Mac, with a dual USB dock you could run WinMFS and do the copying. Suffice it to say, a big thanks to all you dedicated techies who really know this stuff and share with us who know less but desire to learn, it gave me the nerve to try this, and it was so easy with good instuctions. Now I've got a TivoHD that records more television then I should be watching
dannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #8015
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive
 
ThreeSoFar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannew View Post
... Thanks to you folks and all your instructions, I decided to NOT use the drive as another external, but to put it inside and remove the 160G - after all, who knows how many months or days it may have left.
Good decision to go all new and just one drive!

Quote:
Now I've got a TivoHD that records more television then I should be watching
Wait....isn't that the goal? what?
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:33 AM   #8016
Gowan
Registered User
 
Gowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yep, I noticed that. That's why I had asked Gowan if he had done that.

For the upgrade that I did, I installed the original drive Saturday a week ago. I forgot that I did a C&D before I originally pulled it, so I had to do guided setup when I re-installed it. I forced the calls to get the guide data and software update, and then let the Tivo run ~28 hours.
After that, I swapped drives again so I could finish watching the shows I couldn't transfer.
I did the upgrade just last weekend (almost a week later) so I knew I was going to be short a week on guide data.

After the fact, I did wonder if that 1st step was really necessary since the Tivo is pretty good at updating itself.
My original drive had 11.0k-01-2-652 on it when I did the transfer. To my knowledge, that's the latest software available. It's certainly what's on the new drive now and I've rebooted and connected to the server several times since the upgrade.

It's a niggling problem. I record some stuff off to DVD and the now lingering time bar is a minor pain in the neck. I just find it extremely odd that's the only thing that doesn't seem to be working. I tried several other S-P-S codes and they worked fine. It's just the one that makes the time bar disappear quicker.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:24 AM   #8017
dwit
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowan View Post
My original drive had 11.0k-01-2-652 on it when I did the transfer. To my knowledge, that's the latest software available. It's certainly what's on the new drive now and I've rebooted and connected to the server several times since the upgrade.

It's a niggling problem. I record some stuff off to DVD and the now lingering time bar is a minor pain in the neck. I just find it extremely odd that's the only thing that doesn't seem to be working. I tried several other S-P-S codes and they worked fine. It's just the one that makes the time bar disappear quicker.
Quite possibly, not directly related to the upgrade.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=474797
__________________
Tivo HD Lifetime 1TB int, 1TB ext
Tivo 540040 400 GB Lifetime
Tivo S2DT 750 GB msd
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:36 AM   #8018
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowan View Post
It's a niggling problem. I record some stuff off to DVD and the now lingering time bar is a minor pain in the neck. I just find it extremely odd that's the only thing that doesn't seem to be working. I tried several other S-P-S codes and they worked fine. It's just the one that makes the time bar disappear quicker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Quite possibly, not directly related to the upgrade.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=474797
This is puzzling. The code doesn't work on my upgraded TivoHD, but it works just fine on my other TivoHD that isn't upgraded.


__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #8019
dwit
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
This is puzzling. The code doesn't work on my upgraded TivoHD, but it works just fine on my other TivoHD that isn't upgraded.

That's quite possible too. Do both have the same version of software?
__________________
Tivo HD Lifetime 1TB int, 1TB ext
Tivo 540040 400 GB Lifetime
Tivo S2DT 750 GB msd
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #8020
Burdy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowan View Post
My original drive had 11.0k-01-2-652 on it when I did the transfer. To my knowledge, that's the latest software available. It's certainly what's on the new drive now and I've rebooted and connected to the server several times since the upgrade.

It's a niggling problem. I record some stuff off to DVD and the now lingering time bar is a minor pain in the neck. I just find it extremely odd that's the only thing that doesn't seem to be working. I tried several other S-P-S codes and they worked fine. It's just the one that makes the time bar disappear quicker.
I'm seeing the same thing now on my Series 3 after I replaced its upgraded WD15EVDS (just died after 8 months) with the original 250GB HDD. I don't remember what version it was running last December when I removed it, but after being re-installed the software upgraded itself to 11.0k-01-2-648.
Burdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #8021
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannew View Post
I've had my TivoHD for just over three year and this past weekend my 500G external died on me (I opened it up and see that its a stinking WD Green), I've tried all the tricks to get it back, but it's really doa, so I found the WD black at best buy for 109, but what I really like about it was the 5 year warranty. (note: You must email the proof of purchase in to WD to get the 5 years, if you just register online you only get 3 years). Thanks to you folks and all your instructions, I decided to NOT use the drive as another external, but to put it inside and remove the 160G - after all, who knows how many months or days it may have left. I contacted WD and they said the Blacks don't have automatic head parking so I don't have to wdidle3 it, can anyone confirm? Anyway, I WINMFS'd a backup copy and then copied the 160G over to the 1TB and answered the maximize question affirmative. I put it back in and now I have the 144 hours of HD with no external eating extra juice and a drive that should last longer then the Tivo itself, hopefully until 2016 It blows my mind that you found a way to start using over 1.2TB of space internally now, had I know that I might have purchased the 2 TB WD Black. To do all this (I don't have a PC with SATA ability) I purchase a USB dock with two slots in it (69$ at bestbuy), this could be an answer to the individual asking about how to do this on an Apple. If you can bootcamp or virtualize a windows environment on your Mac, with a dual USB dock you could run WinMFS and do the copying. Suffice it to say, a big thanks to all you dedicated techies who really know this stuff and share with us who know less but desire to learn, it gave me the nerve to try this, and it was so easy with good instuctions. Now I've got a TivoHD that records more television then I should be watching
Thanks for the info. A few questions...

1. Since you lost your external drive it sounds like you used winMFS to upgrade preserving the settings only (Section V, #22a of the FAQ) correct?

2. What's the temperature being reported when your TiVo has been in use for a while (and where is the box...inside a cabinet...open air, etc.)?

3. How are the acoustics of the new drive...how quiet is it compared to the original? (Again, that may be impacted by where your TiVo is located.) The reason I ask is that the TiVo OEM hard drive acoustics are rated at <25dBA whereas the WD Black series specs rate them 29dBA idle to 33dBA seek (and manufacturer's are notorious for under-estimating the actual acoustics).

The only drives that employ the Intellipark feature are WD's GP "green" series.

FWIW a dual hard drive dock can only be used with one drive at a time for folks that want to keep their settings and recordings. The OEM and new drives have to be connected separately.

BTW, if your 500GB WD My DVR Expander lasted for three years consider yourself very lucky. The average lifespan for those was 12 to 18 months!

TIA and enjoy your "new" TiVo!

Last edited by richsadams : 08-31-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Corrections
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #8022
Gowan
Registered User
 
Gowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
This is puzzling. The code doesn't work on my upgraded TivoHD, but it works just fine on my other TivoHD that isn't upgraded.

Well, the other thread had it exactly right. The pop-up banner wasn't coming up when I paused shows and so the S-P-S-Pause-S wouldn't work. I got it to work earlier and thought it was a matter of shows I had newly recorded since the upgrade versus shows that had been copied over. However, now that doesn't seem to be the case and it's all tied to whether or not the Pause banner shows up.

All is well now. As to whether the Pause banner has somehow been broken by the upgrade or some other glitch somewhere, I dunno.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #8023
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
That's quite possible too. Do both have the same version of software?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowan View Post
Well, the other thread had it exactly right. The pop-up banner wasn't coming up when I paused shows and so the S-P-S-Pause-S wouldn't work. I got it to work earlier and thought it was a matter of shows I had newly recorded since the upgrade versus shows that had been copied over. However, now that doesn't seem to be the case and it's all tied to whether or not the Pause banner shows up.

All is well now. As to whether the Pause banner has somehow been broken by the upgrade or some other glitch somewhere, I dunno.
I noticed last night that my upgraded Tivo recorded a program with a "more about" banner. I tried the code and it worked. Once I deleted that show, the code no longer worked.
I have come to the conclusion that at least one recorded program must have a banner ad for the code to work and you have to use the code on that program. Once the code is active, the toggle off works regardless if the show has a banner ad or not.
I plan to confirm this by deleting any show with a banner ad on my stock Tivo and see if the code stops working.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #8024
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I noticed last night that my upgraded Tivo recorded a program with a "more about" banner. I tried the code and it worked. Once I deleted that show, the code no longer worked.
I have come to the conclusion that at least one recorded program must have a banner ad for the code to work and you have to use the code on that program. Once the code is active, the toggle off works regardless if the show has a banner ad or not.
I plan to confirm this by deleting any show with a banner ad on my stock Tivo and see if the code stops working.
That's the pioneering spirit!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #8025
SnakeEyes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

So again, using a PC is the way to optimize all of your choices, but it can be done on a Mac. Perhaps you can bribe someone with a PC?
Thanks for the advice Rich. So do I have this straight: so long as I use a drive that doesn't require direct SATA connection to run wdidle, I can use USB-SATA with my mac to run the minimum tools. And if I use Parallels I can run everything else (other than wdidle) via that same USB-Sata adapter.

I have a new situation though. Seems the internal drive on my HD got messed up right after I remove my failing external drive. Stuck in a external drive missing boot loop. If I acquire a tivo image for the HD can I just use WinMFS in Parallels with a usb-sata adapter and restore that image and nothing else and have possibly have a working drive again?
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #8026
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
Thanks for the advice Rich. So do I have this straight: so long as I use a drive that doesn't require direct SATA connection to run wdidle, I can use USB-SATA with my mac to run the minimum tools. And if I use Parallels I can run everything else (other than wdidle) via that same USB-Sata adapter.
Yes that should work but I can't be positive about using Parallels not having tried it. It should work though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
I have a new situation though. Seems the internal drive on my HD got messed up right after I remove my failing external drive. Stuck in a external drive missing boot loop. If I acquire a tivo image for the HD can I just use WinMFS in Parallels with a usb-sata adapter and restore that image and nothing else and have possibly have a working drive again?
Same answer for Parallels, never tried upgrading using it. Seems like it should work, but no guarantees.

All of that said, I would first try upgrading using your existing TiVo OEM hard drive with jmfs on your Mac...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

If you don't use a WD GP drive requiring wdidle3.exe you should be good to go.

If that doesn't work I'd get an original image and start from scratch.

EDIT: Apologies, thought we were talking about a TiVo HD, not the original TiVo Series3. In that case you could try upgrading using winMFS via Parallels. It should work okay, but if not you can and use Fix Divorce S3:

Quote:
Current version of Tivo S3 software (8.3) has a bug and if you divorce your S3 using the built in divorce, you won't be able to use mfstools so use this tool to fix that. You won't have a problem with WinMFS.
I'd probably still try to hunt down a PC as it's considerably easier unless you already have Parallels installed.

Last edited by richsadams : 09-06-2011 at 05:50 PM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #8027
Alvysyngr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 91
first off - I upgraded one of them to a 2tb (bought the drive on eBay) and stashed the old drive for safe keeping. Today I acquired a lifetime TCD648250 with a dying drive. If I use the method to copy the old drive to a 2tb drive using JFMS and WinMFS will it work with the 'healthy original drive' or do I need to use the original drive?
Alvysyngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #8028
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvysyngr View Post
first off - I upgraded one of them to a 2tb (bought the drive on eBay) and stashed the old drive for safe keeping. Today I acquired a lifetime TCD648250 with a dying drive. If I use the method to copy the old drive to a 2tb drive using JFMS and WinMFS will it work with the 'healthy original drive' or do I need to use the original drive?
If the models are identical using your original drive to upgrade the "new" unit should work fine. When it first boots up you'll encounter an error so you'll need to run "Clear and Delete Everything" to set it up.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #8029
Alvysyngr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
If the models are identical using your original drive to upgrade the "new" unit should work fine. When it first boots up you'll encounter an error so you'll need to run "Clear and Delete Everything" to set it up.
Gotcha - that is what I had to do with the eBay drive and this way I can use a $70 WD instead of giving him $130 for the same drive.

thanks!
Alvysyngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #8030
dwit
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,652
Originally Posted by Alvysyngr
Quote:
first off - I upgraded one of them to a 2tb (bought the drive on eBay) and stashed the old drive for safe keeping. Today I acquired a lifetime TCD648250 with a dying drive. If I use the method to copy the old drive to a 2tb drive using JFMS and WinMFS will it work with the 'healthy original drive' or do I need to use the original drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
If the models are identical using your original drive to upgrade the "new" unit should work fine. When it first boots up you'll encounter an error so you'll need to run "Clear and Delete Everything" to set it up.
Does JMFS work on 648250?
__________________
Tivo HD Lifetime 1TB int, 1TB ext
Tivo 540040 400 GB Lifetime
Tivo S2DT 750 GB msd
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #8031
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Does JMFS work on 648250?
No, my bad...just saw "HD" and made the wrong assumption.

Went back and edited the post.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #8032
SnakeEyes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
All of that said, I would first try upgrading using your existing TiVo OEM hard drive with jmfs on your Mac...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

If you don't use a WD GP drive requiring wdidle3.exe you should be good to go.

If that doesn't work I'd get an original image and start from scratch.
I'm not sure I follow. The earlier conversation about wanting to upgrade was prior to my internal hard drive getting hosed after disconnecting a failing My DVR Expander. The messed up drive inside my TiVo HD is my original OEM TiVo drive so I can't upgrade it and need to restore from a image, right?

Quote:
EDIT: Apologies, thought we were talking about a TiVo HD, not the original TiVo Series3. In that case you could try upgrading using winMFS via Parallels. It should work okay, but if not you can and use Fix Divorce S3:
No, we are talking about a TiVO HD. Did I say something to suggest otherwise?

Quote:
I'd probably still try to hunt down a PC as it's considerably easier unless you already have Parallels installed.
Reason I ask is because I already have parallels installed. Version 6.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #8033
Alvysyngr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 91
After finding out that the JMFS Method doesn't work with my OLEd (what fun THAT was lol) I did the WinMFS method (settings only) and it kept crashing in Windows 7 but I feel it is the original HD so luckily I had my old drive from an identical OLED box. I backed up the drive without a hiccup, put the image on the new drive, and followed all the rest of the directions to a T (I think). I put the drive into my Tivo and it booted up quickly, quietly but gave me the expected hardware error. I went to Clear all settings and it's been on the Clearing and Deleting Screen for like 2 hours. Shouldn't this only take an hour? I am a little crushed since the original drive won't give me a backup. Please let me know your thoughts on this
Alvysyngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #8034
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvysyngr View Post
After finding out that the JMFS Method doesn't work with my OLEd (what fun THAT was lol) I did the WinMFS method (settings only) and it kept crashing in Windows 7 but I feel it is the original HD so luckily I had my old drive from an identical OLED box. I backed up the drive without a hiccup, put the image on the new drive, and followed all the rest of the directions to a T (I think). I put the drive into my Tivo and it booted up quickly, quietly but gave me the expected hardware error. I went to Clear all settings and it's been on the Clearing and Deleting Screen for like 2 hours. Shouldn't this only take an hour? I am a little crushed since the original drive won't give me a backup. Please let me know your thoughts on this
C&DE can take quite a while depending on the data...how many recordings, Season Passes, etc. Give it some time and have some patience, it should work.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #8035
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
I'm not sure I follow. The earlier conversation about wanting to upgrade was prior to my internal hard drive getting hosed after disconnecting a failing My DVR Expander. The messed up drive inside my TiVo HD is my original OEM TiVo drive so I can't upgrade it and need to restore from a image, right?



No, we are talking about a TiVO HD. Did I say something to suggest otherwise?



Reason I ask is because I already have parallels installed. Version 6.
Too many threads, too little time, apologies. Yes, you should find a THD image to start fresh. You'd need to load it onto a drive smaller than the one you'll eventually use. If you buy an Instant Cake image from DVRUpgrade you'll need to restore it to a larger drive than your OEM drive as well (IIRC IC won't work on a stock drive). Or if you can find a stock TiVo HD image that you can restore to the OEM drive and then run jmfs that should work as well.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #8036
Alvysyngr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
C&DE can take quite a while depending on the data...how many recordings, Season Passes, etc. Give it some time and have some patience, it should work.
I left it running and went to work - I should know if it is ok by tonight - fingers crossed!
Alvysyngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #8037
SnakeEyes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Too many threads, too little time, apologies. Yes, you should find a THD image to start fresh. You'd need to load it onto a drive smaller than the one you'll eventually use. If you buy an Instant Cake image from DVRUpgrade you'll need to restore it to a larger drive than your OEM drive as well (IIRC IC won't work on a stock drive). Or if you can find a stock TiVo HD image that you can restore to the OEM drive and then run jmfs that should work as well.
Fantastic, thanks! One more thing. After restoring an image to the OEM drive are you suggesting running jmfs if I choose to upgrade to a bigger drive, using the now corrected OEM drive as the source? Or is there something I can/should do with jmfs after restoring an image to my OEM drive?
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #8038
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
Fantastic, thanks! One more thing. After restoring an image to the OEM drive are you suggesting running jmfs if I choose to upgrade to a bigger drive, using the now corrected OEM drive as the source? Or is there something I can/should do with jmfs after restoring an image to my OEM drive?
If you restore an original image (identical model) to your OEM hard drive you can use that to upgrade to the larger drive using JMFS, nothing else to do.

FWIW once you restore an original image to your OEM drive you should slip it back into your TiVo, run Clear and Delete Everything (when you get an error message since TiVo won't recognize it as it's original drive), let it update to the current OS, pair it with your cable card (if required), etc. Basically get it all set up as if you were going to use that drive going forward. Then go ahead and use it to image the new/upgrade drive. That will save a bunch of hassle later and you'll have a drive you can slip back into your TiVo and be back up and running right away should your new drive have problems one day.

I think I linked it before, but be sure you use the jmfs program for TiVo HD's (there's a different one for Series4 Premiere models). This is the jmfs program for TiVo HD's:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

Happy upgrading!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #8039
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,221
While there are separate threads for using JMFS on Premieres and Tivo HDs, the s/w is the same. It's just that it was designed for Premieres and you have to go through some extra steps to use it on a TiVo HD, including using WinMFS for supersize as opposed to the JMFS supersize.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #8040
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
While there are separate threads for using JMFS on Premieres and Tivo HDs, the s/w is the same. It's just that it was designed for Premieres and you have to go through some extra steps to use it on a TiVo HD, including using WinMFS for supersize as opposed to the JMFS supersize.
Although that may be correct I do my best to avoid confusing folks. As some have found out, employing the wrong instructions can cause problems including bricking a TiVo. The instructions are in fact different, they are not just different threads.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |