TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #7921
dbenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Hmmm... Is the "donor" drive an original TiVo drive or one that you've already upgraded?
It is an original.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #7922
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen View Post
It is an original.
Forgot to ask...when you look at the truncated backup file, what's the file size (if any)? It may be working okay, just creating the file and then stopping.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #7923
dbenrosen

Quote:
Forgot to ask...when you look at the truncated backup file, what's the file size (if any)? It may be working okay, just creating the file and then stopping.
The file is zero (0) size.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #7924
richsadams

Quote:
The file is zero (0) size.
Okay...then NOT working. Hmmm...have you tried connecting the original drive directly to the SATA port? Never mind, I see that you have. How about via USB?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #7925
dbenrosen

That is what I have now. It is using the SATA connection that was originally the DVD drive (which I disconnected). I guess I can try connecting the orig TiVo drive to the first connection and move the windows drive to the other one.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #7926
richsadams

Quote:
That is what I have now. It is using the SATA connection that was originally the DVD drive (which I disconnected). I guess I can try connecting the orig TiVo drive to the first connection and move the windows drive to the other one.
That's a thought...but if winMFS is actually recognizing the drive the truncated backup should work.

In the end you might just go ahead and try the full copy and see what happens. If you keep the OEM drive intact you can always make a truncated backup later.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #7927
dbenrosen

Quote:
That's a thought...but if winMFS is actually recognizing the drive the truncated backup should work.

In the end you might just go ahead and try the full copy and see what happens. If you keep the OEM drive intact you can always make a truncated backup later.
Could it be something with Windows 7? It is the 64-bit version, if that makes a difference.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #7928
dbenrosen

Quote:

Well, I started the copy and that seems to be working. I wonder if it could be some crazy Windows 7 permission thing, even though the user I am running as is an Administrator, I clicked to run Winmfs as Administrator, and I have turned off all of the anti-virus programs.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #7929
richsadams

Quote:
Well, I started the copy and that seems to be working. I wonder if it could be some crazy Windows 7 permission thing, even though the user I am running as is an Administrator, I clicked to run Winmfs as Administrator, and I have turned off all of the anti-virus programs.
I don't think Windows 7 should make any difference. I've got an older Dell running Windows 7 and it works fine for upgrades. Odd.

In any case, fingers crossed everything will work fine now.

I believe you were going to run wdidle3.exe to adjust the Intellipark feature? If not, that's a good idea. I set mine to 300 seconds (five minutes) and it works fine...others have disabled it, your call. Remember that the drive must be connected via SATA to run wdidle3.exe.

BTW, it may boot up right away or it sometimes takes two or three tries before it boots up properly.

I have to head out for the evening, but I think dwit is around as are others if you need some more assistance.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Last edited by richsadams : 08-18-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 08-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #7930
dbenrosen

Quote:
I don't think Windows 7 should make any difference. I've got an older Dell running Windows 7 and it works fine for upgrades. Odd.

In any case, fingers crossed everything will work fine now.

I believe you were going to run wdidle3.exe to adjust the Intellipark feature? If not, that's a good idea. I set mine to 300 seconds (five minutes) and it works fine...others have disabled it, your call. Remember that the drive must be connected via USB to run wdidle3.exe.

BTW, it may boot up right away or it sometimes takes two or three tries before it boots up properly.

I have to head out for the evening, but I think dwit is around as are others if you need some more assistance.

Best of luck and enjoy!
Thanks for the help. I already ran wdidle3 on the new drive before I attached it. I'll let you know if/when it finishes.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #7931
hooks

installing 1TB verified expander

I have a Series 3, and I had previously installed the 500GB verified expander. i was having problems with freezes during playback, expecially during fast forward. The TIVO would freeze for a minute or so, and then spontaneously reboot - quite a pain. I made an assumption that the expander was bad. I detached the old expander according to instructions, and initially rebooted without any expander. The TIVO booted fine without the old expander, and I could not replicate the freeze issue.

Then I bought a new 1TB verified expander at best buy. I have tried several times to install it with eSATA, but the screen freezes at "powering up," never even making it to "just a few minutes more."

A TIVO chat support guy told me to disconnect the USB network adapter before installling the expander. I tried that, but same problem - stuck at "powering up."

Any ideas??
hooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #7932
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooks View Post
I have a Series 3, and I had previously installed the 500GB verified expander. i was having problems with freezes during playback, expecially during fast forward. The TIVO would freeze for a minute or so, and then spontaneously reboot - quite a pain. I made an assumption that the expander was bad. I detached the old expander according to instructions, and initially rebooted without any expander. The TIVO booted fine without the old expander, and I could not replicate the freeze issue.

Then I bought a new 1TB verified expander at best buy. I have tried several times to install it with eSATA, but the screen freezes at "powering up," never even making it to "just a few minutes more."

A TIVO chat support guy told me to disconnect the USB network adapter before installling the expander. I tried that, but same problem - stuck at "powering up."

Any ideas??
You may just need to double check both ends of the cable to ensure it is connected securely. If you happen to have a spare cable, you might try that. If the same thing happens, probably just return/exchange the expander.

If it still happens with another new expander you might check again with Tivo support to see what they have to say. Maybe try running some of the built in Tivo drive diagnostics.

You might also consider just upgrading to a single large internal drive, if you are up to it. The S3 can take a 1.5TB drive (but it can only utilize about 1.2 TB or so). I've read the 1.5 TB drives are for sale at Newegg.com for about $60. A Tivo HD can take and utilize a full 2 TB drive.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #7933
lpwcomp

Quote:
I believe you were going to run wdidle3.exe to adjust the Intellipark feature? If not, that's a good idea. I set mine to 300 seconds (five minutes) and it works fine...others have disabled it, your call. Remember that the drive must be connected via USB to run wdidle3.exe.
In a word...HUH? Since it involves updating the firmware on the drive, I'm pretty sure it has to be attached via Sata. I know for a fact that it will work that way.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #7934
lpwcomp

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I already ran wdidle3 on the new drive before I attached it. I'll let you know if/when it finishes.
How did you run wdidle3 on it before you attached it?

Old 08-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #7935
dbenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
How did you run wdidle3 on it before you attached it?
I had attached it via the onboard SATA connection (as you said, it must be connected directly via SATA, not USB). To do that, I had to disconnect my Windows drive. I then powered off, reconnected the Windows drive via the on board SATA connection and connected the new drive via the USB/SATA connection. That is what I meant.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 AM   #7936
dbenrosen

Quote:
It seems to have gotten stuck, but I am letting it run for the day while I am at work. There was no visible progress this morning over what I had already seen when I left it late last night. If it fails, I may try the mfslive boot CD to see if that is more tolerant of possible bad sectors on the original drive.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #7937
lpwcomp

Have you given any thought to the possibility of a problem with the backup destination rather than the source?

Old 08-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #7938
dbenrosen

Quote:
Have you given any thought to the possibility of a problem with the backup destination rather than the source?
I'm fairly certain it is the source. I couldn't make a truncated backup to my Windows drive from the source when the new TiVo destination drive wasn't even connected to the PC.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #7939
lpwcomp

I'm not talking about your new drive. I am talking about the destination for the truncated backup file.

Also, you might verify that the source drive is being properly recognized by the BIOS.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #7940
richsadams

Quote:
In a word...HUH? Since it involves updating the firmware on the drive, I'm pretty sure it has to be attached via Sata. I know for a fact that it will work that way.
D'oh...that is absolutely correct...and I know that. I meant to say SATA...senior moment apparently. Changed the post. Thanks for catching that!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #7941
dbenrosen

Quote:
I'm not talking about your new drive. I am talking about the destination for the truncated backup file.

Also, you might verify that the source drive is being properly recognized by the BIOS.
I tried a number of different locations on the Windows drive to put the backup file and all exhibited the same behavior. I realize they could all be referencing the same physical spot on the disk, but I doubt it since the file gets created initially with a size of 0. I tried at least a half dozen times and each time an empty (initialized) file was created but nothing was written to it.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #7942
lpwcomp

Quote:
D'oh...that is absolutely correct...and I know that. I meant to say SATA...senior moment apparently. Changed the post. Thanks for catching that!
I can relate. As of next Monday, I will be eligible for a Senior discount at AMC.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #7943
dbenrosen

Quote:
It seems to have gotten stuck, but I am letting it run for the day while I am at work. There was no visible progress this morning over what I had already seen when I left it late last night. If it fails, I may try the mfslive boot CD to see if that is more tolerant of possible bad sectors on the original drive.
A little more information:

During the Mfscopy, it seems to have gotten stuck during partition 9. That is the latest information displayed on the Winmfs dialog.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #7944
richsadams

Quote:
A little more information:

During the Mfscopy, it seems to have gotten stuck during partition 9. That is the latest information displayed on the Winmfs dialog.
I'm starting to lean toward data corruption. I can't recall, did you happen to run Kickstart 57 and/or 58 when the original drive was in TiVo?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

If not, there's a chance that might resolve things.

If that didn't or doesn't work, I don't think it will have an impact, but give these two winMFS options/fixes a try...

1. Fix Swap
2. Fix Bootpage

Details here:

http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/index.html

That said you may end up having to use Instant Cake as a clean image to upgrade. It's not the ideal because you'll essentially have a brand new TiVo, but at least you'll have a "last resort" to turn to.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #7945
dbenrosen

Quote:
I'm starting to lean toward data corruption. I can't recall, did you happen to run Kickstart 57 and/or 58 when the original drive was in TiVo?
I will put the drive back in the TiVo and attempt this. It is worth a shot.

Quote:
If that didn't or doesn't work, I don't think it will have an impact, but give these two winMFS options/fixes a try...

1. Fix Swap
2. Fix Bootpage

Details here:

http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/index.html

That said you may end up having to use Instant Cake as a clean image to upgrade. It's not the ideal because you'll essentially have a brand new TiVo, but at least you'll have a "last resort" to turn to.
I'm prepared to go the InstantCake route if need be. Luckily I won't have lost too many recordings because it is the summer.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #7946
lpwcomp

Unless you already have InstantCake for that model, I would suggest posting to this thread first.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #7947
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen

I will put the drive back in the TiVo and attempt this. It is worth a shot.

I'm prepared to go the InstantCake route if need be. Luckily I won't have lost too many recordings because it is the summer.
Okay. I'm on the road today so won't be watching too closely until later. Best of luck!
Old 08-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #7948
dbenrosen

Quote:
Unless you already have InstantCake for that model, I would suggest posting to this thread first.
Thanks for the link.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #7949
dbenrosen

Started dd_rescue before I left for the airport, and it was running nice and neat. But it has now encountered a bad batch of blocks. That confirms the problem with the original (source) drive. I'll see what it looks like when it finishes. At this rate it will probably be a while.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #7950
dbenrosen

Quote:
Started dd_rescue before I left for the airport, and it was running nice and neat. But it has now encountered a bad batch of blocks. That confirms the problem with the original (source) drive. I'll see what it looks like when it finishes. At this rate it will probably be a while.
dd_rescue finally finished after 24 hours. It told me there were many errors. I expanded the size on the drive (figured it was worth a shot since I had it connected) and that seemed to work using mfsadd.

I then placed the TiVo in my S3 and powered up. Got to the "Almost there..." screen, the GSOD. I'm hoping this will actually be a good thing and fix the TiVo. I'll probably be able to tell in the morning, since 3 hours will be around 1:30am.