TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #7861
doconeill
Unix Guru

I was just coming back to report. It "failed" to repair", so I disconnected the Tivo drive and it booted fine. I then booted again with it attached but explicitly booted the Windows drive (it was first, but who knows) and it booted fine. WinMFS sees the Tivo disk still.

Just in case, I still have my original backup from when I put the 750GB in, so worst case is I'm going back to the original software and get to sit through a long download

Retired:
HDR312 Standalone (128 hour, on loan)
SD-DVR80 (Zipper/160GB), DSR708 (Zipper/120GB), HDVR2 (Zipper/80GB)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #7862
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I was just coming back to report. It "failed" to repair", so I disconnected the Tivo drive and it booted fine. I then booted again with it attached but explicitly booted the Windows drive (it was first, but who knows) and it booted fine. WinMFS sees the Tivo disk still.

Just in case, I still have my original backup from when I put the 750GB in, so worst case is I'm going back to the original software and get to sit through a long download
OkY, sounds like you're good to go then.

Happy upgrading!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #7863
doconeill
Unix Guru

Well, that all went quickly. TiVo booted up fine. I did, however, accidentally tell it to play back a video that wouldn't still be there. It complained as I would suspect, but then it rebooted and I'm at the GSOD. I guess I confused it.

Looks like I need to wait a while.

Retired:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by doconeill : 08-06-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #7864
richsadams

Quote:
Well, that all went quickly. TiVo booted up fine. I did, however, accidentally tell it to play back a video that wouldn't still be there. It complained as I would suspect, but then it rebooted and I'm at the GSOD. I guess I confused it.

Looks like I need to wait a while.
It should turn out okay...just don't unplug it while it's running KS57. It may take a while but probably won't. Worst case, you would have a do-over and start fresh.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #7865
doconeill
Unix Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
It should turn out okay...just don't unplug it while it's running KS57. It may take a while but probably won't. Worst case, you would have a do-over and start fresh.
Yup, that's what I figure. Way back on an older unit I did this and it didn't freak out, but it was a different model.

I probably should have wiped the rest of the programs before I removed it.

Update: Still on the GSOD. I'll give it another 45 minutes, then I'll pull and restore again.

Update 2: Well, it took a little over 3 hours, but just went I was ready to pull it, it came back. I deleted the remaining videos, and so far it looks good. It needs to re-index the guide though, as searching for programs isn't working yet.

Retired:

Last edited by doconeill : 08-06-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #7866
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

any suggestions on a decent external drive enclosure of a 2 TB drive?
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #7867
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Diablo View Post
any suggestions on a decent external drive enclosure of a 2 TB drive?
I have a 2TB WD20EARS running in an Antec MX-1 (backup for a computer, not TiVo). Cool, calm and quiet.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:37 AM   #7868
richsadams

Quote:
Yup, that's what I figure. Way back on an older unit I did this and it didn't freak out, but it was a different model.

I probably should have wiped the rest of the programs before I removed it.

Update: Still on the GSOD. I'll give it another 45 minutes, then I'll pull and restore again.

Update 2: Well, it took a little over 3 hours, but just went I was ready to pull it, it came back. I deleted the remaining videos, and so far it looks good. It needs to re-index the guide though, as searching for programs isn't working yet.
Good news! Let it do its housekeeping overnight and see if it isn't rarin' to go in the a.m.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #7869
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
If you were going to use jmfs you could disconnect the Windows drive completely.
I second this suggestion. It was painless to use a jmfs boot CD. The only thing I used WinMFS for was to do a final supersize once the copy and expansion was done from the old Tivo drive to the new one. That bumped me from 287 to 318 hours of HD recording. This one a WD20EURS drive (with the 4k jumper installed on pins 7-8).
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #7870
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Is there a way to see it's uptime? I notice in the System Info screen there are a number of timestamps, one of which is Guide View Cache and a status timestamp. Is that an indicator of uptime?
Look under Account & System Information / DVR Diagnostics.
Page down to the last page and look for the line 'Time Since OOB Tune Start'. This will give you an approximate time since the last reboot in seconds. You will have to calculate the hours/days/weeks from that.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #7871
bobman0330

I recently upgraded a Tivo HD with a 2 TB Barracuda Green drive. I used jmfs to copy and expand, then supersized with WinMFS. Everything seemed to go fine, except all of my recorded programs were on the new drive, which was not what I had expected.

However, I quickly noticed problems with the upgraded box. On certain channels (it seems to be only some and not others), there are occasional audio drop-outs, which slowly escalate to extended audio drop outs, brief video freezing, then finally a hard lock-up that requires disconnecting and reconnecting power to recover from. The original drive still seems to be working normally. (I heard one audio drop-out which terrified me, but I haven't had anything more serious... yet).

Any ideas what could be going wrong here? Does the fact that the Barracuda is an Advanced Format drive matter? Does Seagate have some analogue of the Intellipark feature that could be causing issues? Also, I used a Gigabyte mobo to do the upgrade. Could that have caused this problem?
bobman0330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #7872
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman0330 View Post
I recently upgraded a Tivo HD with a 2 TB Barracuda Green drive. I used jmfs to copy and expand, then supersized with WinMFS. Everything seemed to go fine, except all of my recorded programs were on the new drive, which was not what I had expected.

However, I quickly noticed problems with the upgraded box. On certain channels (it seems to be only some and not others), there are occasional audio drop-outs, which slowly escalate to extended audio drop outs, brief video freezing, then finally a hard lock-up that requires disconnecting and reconnecting power to recover from. The original drive still seems to be working normally. (I heard one audio drop-out which terrified me, but I haven't had anything more serious... yet).

Any ideas what could be going wrong here? Does the fact that the Barracuda is an Advanced Format drive matter? Does Seagate have some analogue of the Intellipark feature that could be causing issues? Also, I used a Gigabyte mobo to do the upgrade. Could that have caused this problem?
If you kept the regular boot drive connected to where it usually is connected to that GigaByte board, then it might have been satisfied and not placed a Host Protected Area on any other drives.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #7873
bobman0330

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you kept the regular boot drive connected to where it usually is connected to that GigaByte board, then it might have been satisfied and not placed a Host Protected Area on any other drives.
That is what I was counting on to protect me. It looks like the original drive is still running fine, so that's a relief at least.
bobman0330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #7874
grantsa4

Can anyone recommend a 1TB drive that they have recently upgraded to with success and they are happy with?

I want to upgrade my basic drive on my Tivo HD.

Thanks for any advice.
grantsa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #7875
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsa4 View Post
Can anyone recommend a 1TB drive that they have recently upgraded to with success and they are happy with?

Thanks for any advice.
I've been running WD1001FALS in a couple of dual tuner S2s for about a half a year now, but I put extra fans inside 'cause they run a little warm.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #7876
grantsa4

Thanks.

How difficult is it to add a fan?

Would I need that on a Tivo HD?

Are there any guides online showing how to do it?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #7877
richsadams

Quote:

Thanks for any advice.
Here are the current 1TB recommended hard drives:

WD10EARS - Although quiet out of the box you can adjust the AAM to 128 to match WD's A/V dedicated drive line to make it quieter.

WD10EURS - A/V dedicated drive. May need the Intellipark feature adjusted.

Me? I'd go with the WD10EURS.

You could use winMFS to upgrade your current drive to 1TB:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

With respect to 2TB hard drives one of these two should work fine:

WD20EARS

WD20EURS

You could use jmfs to upgrade your current drive to 2TB's:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

All four drives may need the Intellipark feature adjusted to avoid boot or menu restart hangs. See Section IV, #29 of the first post on this FAQ for details:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

There are a couple of folks that have successfully upgraded using the latest "green" Hitachi and Samsung hard drives as well. Neither have been in service long enough to recommend but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work fine as well. You could scroll back through the more recent posts to find the info...or the owners may chime in. (Only Western Digital employs the "Intellipark" so neither the Sammy or Hitachi would need any additional adjustments.)

Quote:
Thanks.

The TiVo HD's exhaust fan is more than adequate.

Happy upgrading!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #7878
unitron

Quote:
Thanks.

Whether you need it depends on how hot the drive runs regardless of in which TiVo you put it.

I used hard drive cooling fans with 4 pin pass through Molex connectors like you power IDE drives with, and removed them from the housing that was supposed to attach to the drive and jury-rigged them into the area under the drive with double sided foam tape. Since the S3 and S4 platform use SATA drives, there's no 4 pin Molex connector coming off of the power supply to get power for the fan from, so that could be a problem.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #7879
grantsa4

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Very much appreciated
Old 08-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #7880
grantsa4

Rich, why do you like the WD10EURS over the WD10EARS ?

Is there any benefit to one over the other?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #7881
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

FWIW the WD20EARS is $20 less than WD20EURS; the WD10EARS is $5 less than WD10EURS (Source: NewEgg).

Me... I'm cheap... I put a WD20EARS in my Premiere... reset both AAM and Intellipark.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #7882
richsadams

Quote:
Rich, why do you like the WD10EURS over the WD10EARS ?

Is there any benefit to one over the other?
With respect to the 1TB drives, the difference is nominal, about $10 now and at times it's less than that.

The only real advantage of the EURS over the EARS in a TiVo application is that the EURS already has the AAM set to the quietest level (128). You should be able to adjust the AAM on the EARS using HDDScan which is pretty easy...just an added step.

I say "should" because there are recent reports, specifically about the WD GP 2TB drives that indicate that you can no longer adjust the AAM (w/HDDscan).

All of that being said, the EARS drives (and in fact all of WD's GP drives) are very quiet out of the box and many folks never adjust the AAM. If the TiVo were in a bedroom or other situation where silence is golden, I guess I'd go for the A/V series like the EURS. Otherwise it's your call of course.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #7883
dbenrosen

All of the information says I need to have both drives connected at the same time to be able to copy and upgrade the drive. Is it possible to backup to my Windows drive and then restore that (with all of the recordings) to the new drive? My Windows drive is large enough to handle the image.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #7884
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen View Post
All of the information says I need to have both drives connected at the same time to be able to copy and upgrade the drive. Is it possible to backup to my Windows drive and then restore that (with all of the recordings) to the new drive? My Windows drive is large enough to handle the image.
Which model TiVo?

What size is the drive you want to copy? IDE or SATA?

What size is your target drive, i.e., the one that will be the new TiVo drive? IDE or SATA?

What size is your "Windows" drive? IDE or SATA?

Is your computer a desktop or laptop?

How will you be hooking up the drives? Straight cable to the motherboard? Adapters?

That's not a GigaByte brand motherboard, is it? (If it is, we may be able to work around that.)

Old 08-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #7885
dbenrosen

Quote:
Which model TiVo?
It is a Series 3 (the one with the time display on the front)

Quote:
What size is the drive you want to copy? IDE or SATA?

What size is your target drive, i.e., the one that will be the new TiVo drive? IDE or SATA?
Original drive is the original drive in the TiVo, 160GB SATA. The new drive is a 1TB SATA.

Quote:
What size is your "Windows" drive? IDE or SATA?
The Windows drive is 1TB and has plenty of free space to copy all 160GB of the original TiVo drive. The Windows drive is also SATA.

Quote:
Is your computer a desktop or laptop?

How will you be hooking up the drives? Straight cable to the motherboard? Adapters?
The computer is a desktop. Unfortunately the newer PCs don't have all of the expansion and easily reached connectors of the older ones (like I used the last time I upgraded one of my TiVos). I can disconnect the DVD drive and connect one drive at a time. I do not have a USB to SATA connector (I'm asking around to see if I can find one). My plan would be to connect the original drive directly to the motherboard, backup/copy the image to the Windows drive (hopefully using WinMFS), then shutdown, connect the new drive directly and restore that full image to the new drive.

Quote:
That's not a GigaByte brand motherboard, is it? (If it is, we may be able to work around that.)

No it is not.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #7886
unitron

Quote:
It is a Series 3 (the one with the time display on the front)

Original drive is the original drive in the TiVo, 160GB SATA. The new drive is a 1TB SATA.

The Windows drive is 1TB and has plenty of free space to copy all 160GB of the original TiVo drive. The Windows drive is also SATA.

The computer is a desktop. Unfortunately the newer PCs don't have all of the expansion and easily reached connectors of the older ones (like I used the last time I upgraded one of my TiVos). I can disconnect the DVD drive and connect one drive at a time. I do not have a USB to SATA connector (I'm asking around to see if I can find one). My plan would be to connect the original drive directly to the motherboard, backup/copy the image to the Windows drive (hopefully using WinMFS), then shutdown, connect the new drive directly and restore that full image to the new drive.

No it is not.
Okay, your motherboard has a SATA port for your Windows, i.e., boot drive, and a SATA port for your optical drive.

Are we out of SATA ports already?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #7887
dbenrosen

Yes. That is all of the ports.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #7888
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Other than the obvious SFF Dell units I've used in the past with only 2 SATA ports, I'm surprised to hear you have that few. My current HP tower has 6 SATA ports in it as did my last, I think I have a Gateway from 2004 that has 4 SATA ports on it.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #7889
dbenrosen

It is a SFF Gateway, which explains the limited sata ports. I originally bought it for the kids to use, never thinking I would need the ports. Now it is the only pc i have in the house. I have a couple of macs which definitely aren't made for upgrading TiVo drives without USB to sata connectors.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #7890
unitron

Quote:
WinMFS can do disk to disk copy or it can make a truncated backup file.

In order to backup the entire disk to an image file, you'll need to use the MFS Live cd, which means you'll need to have your optical drive hooked up, unless you can figure out how to make a bootable USB stick out of it.

The command would be

backup -Tao "backupfile" "olddrive"

The problem there is the size of the backup file, even if you have the space on your PC drive.

FAT32 partitions can't handle files bigger than 4GB (if I recall correctly). That's one 2 hour show at best quality.

NT partitions can handle bigger files.

MFS Live can mount FAT32 partitions

mount -t vfat "partitiontobemounted" "mountpoint"

but I don't think it can properly mount and write to NTFS partitions.

The solution which occurs to me is to shrink the partition(s) on your Windows drive and convert all the unused space to an unpartitioned space at the end of the drive.

Then create an ext2 partition in that space and use it as the location for the backup file.

Or maybe an ext3 partition.

I don't know enough to know how big a file either can handle, but at least the MFS Live cd will be able to mount, read, and write to, the partition.
The command would be

mount -t ext2

or maybe -t Ext2

You'll have to do some research on ext2 and ext3

As for shrinking your Windows partition(s) I was going to say get the PartedMagic Live cd v5.10, but now he's up to v6.6, which would be great, except there are now different versions for different CPUs and I'm not sure which is right for me, much less for you.

If you can find a site that'll let you download v5.10, you should be alright.

And you're going to need at least one SATA drive to USB port adapter, but I don't know which one to recommend.

And before you use the MFS Live cd, go to mfslive.org and read the full guide, several times.