TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #7771
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Seems like those are in effect the same specs. (The power supply can't be "good" if it provides voltages outside the specs for the HDD.)

OK, I guess the PS specs could be tighter than the HDD specs. I would like to know both specs actually, although the HDD specs seem most meaningful. The important question is what limits determine that a PS should be replaced or repaired?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #7772
cjgadd3

I give up! (Long post, sorry)

Let me tell you my story. I got a TIVO HD on the upgrade program in Dec 2009. Worked fine but was itching to put in a bigger hard drive. Waited til May of 2010 and installed a Seagate Pipeline series 500GB. Everything was peachy for about 5 months or so. Started getting the dreaded spontaneous reboots. Figured the Seagate was junk, their reliability taking a hit after the merge with Maxtor. Ran the Seatools utility on the drive and it reported it was good. So I got a WD5000AVDS from Amazon. Again everything is fine for about 6 months or so and the reboots started again. Figured I get the WD10EVDS since that is what a lot of people use. Put it in and two weeks later, reboots for no reason. Can't take any more, put the original 160 GB back in and it's fine again. Sent the 500 GB WD back defective and they sent me a new one. Then about a month later, the original 160 GB starts rebooting! Take the 500 GB WD that I just got and use my original truncated image and put it in on July 3. You know where I going with this. Starts the rebooting again last night. Less than two weeks. Maybe a power supply issue but why would it work for while after HD swap. Looked at power supplies, but they want 100 bucks for one. Not a temp issue either as it happens when the air is on and the temps reports 41 degrees. Next move is DVR from Verizon. Thanks for letting me vent.
cjgadd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:07 AM   #7773
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgadd3 View Post
Let me tell you my story. I got a TIVO HD on the upgrade program in Dec 2009. Worked fine but was itching to put in a bigger hard drive. Waited til May of 2010 and installed a Seagate Pipeline series 500GB. Everything was peachy for about 5 months or so. Started getting the dreaded spontaneous reboots. Figured the Seagate was junk, their reliability taking a hit after the merge with Maxtor. Ran the Seatools utility on the drive and it reported it was good. So I got a WD5000AVDS from Amazon. Again everything is fine for about 6 months or so and the reboots started again. Figured I get the WD10EVDS since that is what a lot of people use. Put it in and two weeks later, reboots for no reason. Can't take any more, put the original 160 GB back in and it's fine again. Sent the 500 GB WD back defective and they sent me a new one. Then about a month later, the original 160 GB starts rebooting! Take the 500 GB WD that I just got and use my original truncated image and put it in on July 3. You know where I going with this. Starts the rebooting again last night. Less than two weeks. Maybe a power supply issue but why would it work for while after HD swap. Looked at power supplies, but they want 100 bucks for one. Not a temp issue either as it happens when the air is on and the temps reports 41 degrees. Next move is DVR from Verizon. Thanks for letting me vent.
Wow, that is a bizarre string of bad luck. My guess is that there is something else going on here. The odds of that many different drives failing are maybe not astronomical, but really unlikely.

Post your TiVo's setup as exactly as you can...how it's connected to everything, end-to-end. My guess is that there's something external that's causing internal problems.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:22 AM   #7774
unitron

Quote:
Did you have this unit on a UPS during these reboots?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #7775
WebG

Q: followed these instructions to upgrade my S3's drive, but stuck on POWERING UP screen now. Please see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=472941 if you have any advice to share.

(apologies for cross-posting, but figured it may help future users who will only pay attention/search this thread for their own similar situation. thx)
WebG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #7776
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebG View Post
Q: followed these instructions to upgrade my S3's drive, but stuck on POWERING UP screen now. Please see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=472941 if you have any advice to share.

(apologies for cross-posting, but figured it may help future users who will only pay attention/search this thread for their own similar situation. thx)
See my reply here...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...22#post8612222
Old 07-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #7777
cjgadd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Wow, that is a bizarre string of bad luck. My guess is that there is something else going on here. The odds of that many different drives failing are maybe not astronomical, but really unlikely.

Post your TiVo's setup as exactly as you can...how it's connected to everything, end-to-end. My guess is that there's something external that's causing internal problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Did you have this unit on a UPS during these reboots?
I am connected to Verizon Fios. No tuning adapter. I have one M card. I use all RG6 quad core coax. The unit is on a Tripp-lite UPS. It's connected to a Sony Bravia 40" LCD by HDMI. I have attenuated the signal by 16 dB because I read somewhere that Tivo does not like a "hot" signal. Right now my numbers are anywhere form 81 to 87 signal strength and SNR is 34 or 35 dB. I might try connecting to the TV using component cables as I read somewhere that some Sony sets do not "play nice" with other components. Handshake issue, I believe. I can always tell when it's getting ready to reboot as the picture will freeze for a second just before it crashes. It happens on live TV or recorded shows. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #7778
unitron

Quote:
I am connected to Verizon Fios. No tuning adapter. I have one M card. I use all RG6 quad core coax. The unit is on a Tripp-lite UPS. It's connected to a Sony Bravia 40" LCD by HDMI. I have attenuated the signal by 16 dB because I read somewhere that Tivo does not like a "hot" signal. Right now my numbers are anywhere form 81 to 87 signal strength and SNR is 34 or 35 dB. I might try connecting to the TV using component cables as I read somewhere that some Sony sets do not "play nice" with other components. Handshake issue, I believe. I can always tell when it's getting ready to reboot as the picture will freeze for a second just before it crashes. It happens on live TV or recorded shows. Thanks.
Oh, well in that case the answer is simple.

Your TiVo hates you.

(What, incredible string of co-incidences is more believable?)

If it were a motherboard issue or power supply issue it seems like it ought to go ahead and finish breaking down instead of eating a hard drive every 6 months (especially since the drive seem to be sick only while in the TiVo). Intermittents are exasperating enough to troubleshoot when the trouble only happens every few hours or days.

You aren't going to like hearing this, but my only suggestion at this point is to run it for about a month strictly over the air, no cable card, no HDMI/HDCP/anything where it has to ask permission to provide output.

In other words, eliminate as many outside variables as possible.

And just out of curiousity, do these problems seem to happen when you bring a new piece of electronic gear into the house, whether it's related at all or not?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #7779
richsadams

Quote:
My advice coincides with some of Unitron's and is this:

First, remove the attenuator. VZ adjusted their systems a couple of years ago, reducing how "hot" their signal comes in. You should be seeing SS of about 95 to 100 across all channels. (Your SNR won't change much if any.) Then keep an eye on your RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors. Some errors are normal, a few hundred isn't unheard of, however if either start climbing (by the thousands or tens of thousands, etc.), post what you're seeing.

Yes, there have been issues with Sony TV's, TiVo and HDMI reported for quite a while (although not so much recently). It wasn't so much an HDCP issue as something particular to Sony...no one ever sorted that out. If you can run Component (YPbPr) cables for video and a TOSlink/optical cable for audio, that might help.

I'd also take the UPS out of the mix for a time...plug TiVo directly into the wall by itself (unless there's a storm brewing). Tripp Light UPS are quite good, but you never know.

Do each of activities one at a time, not in concert, for a few days or perhaps as long as it takes to see if one in particular item solves the problem.

Keep us posted.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #7780
lpwcomp

Has anyone successfully used WinMFS under Windows 2000? Even if it were just for the backup, it would be useful.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #7781
Keen

Managed to upgrade my previously upgraded Tivo from 1TB to 2TB today using the JMFS tools. Worked great, and now I've got 318 hours of TV I can record. So happy JMFS came out, I was disappointed a year or two ago when I did my first Tivo hard drive upgrade and there was no way to make my non-XL Tivo HD a 2TB monster.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #7782
cjgadd3

Quote:
My advice coincides with some of Unitron's and is this:

First, remove the attenuator. VZ adjusted their systems a couple of years ago, reducing how "hot" their signal comes in. You should be seeing SS of about 95 to 100 across all channels. (Your SNR won't change much if any.) Then keep an eye on your RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors. Some errors are normal, a few hundred isn't unheard of, however if either start climbing (by the thousands or tens of thousands, etc.), post what you're seeing.

Yes, there have been issues with Sony TV's, TiVo and HDMI reported for quite a while (although not so much recently). It wasn't so much an HDCP issue as something particular to Sony...no one ever sorted that out. If you can run Component (YPbPr) cables for video and a TOSlink/optical cable for audio, that might help.

I'd also take the UPS out of the mix for a time...plug TiVo directly into the wall by itself (unless there's a storm brewing). Tripp Light UPS are quite good, but you never know.

Do each of activities one at a time, not in concert, for a few days or perhaps as long as it takes to see if one in particular item solves the problem.

Keep us posted.
Well Rich, I'm one for instant gratification so I did everything at once. Sort of "go for broke". I took Tivo off the UPS and plugged straight in the wall. Removed all attenuators (SS went to 100 and SNR bounces from 37 to 38), and replaced the HDMI cable with component cables. It's been over 24 hours so far (knock on wood) and no reboots. RS errors corrected and uncorrected have been zero. Before I had seen numbers as high as 1900. Something I found odd that I left out of the original post was that on a reboot I would get the "welcome, powering up" greeting with the sort of sunrise background. When it went to the "just a few minutes more" screen, some times the little Tivo guy and the banner underneath would be purple on the yellow background instead of black. Sort of said to me that it was a signal problem which propted the move to component cables as I remember reading about people having problems with the HDMI ports on their Tivos. After reboot, all colors were normal. That's all to report for now. Will keep you posted. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #7783
richsadams

Quote:
Well Rich, I'm one for instant gratification so I did everything at once. Sort of "go for broke". I took Tivo off the UPS and plugged straight in the wall. Removed all attenuators (SS went to 100 and SNR bounces from 37 to 38), and replaced the HDMI cable with component cables. It's been over 24 hours so far (knock on wood) and no reboots. RS errors corrected and uncorrected have been zero. Before I had seen numbers as high as 1900. Something I found odd that I left out of the original post was that on a reboot I would get the "welcome, powering up" greeting with the sort of sunrise background. When it went to the "just a few minutes more" screen, some times the little Tivo guy and the banner underneath would be purple on the yellow background instead of black. Sort of said to me that it was a signal problem which propted the move to component cables as I remember reading about people having problems with the HDMI ports on their Tivos. After reboot, all colors were normal. That's all to report for now. Will keep you posted. Thanks.
Understood. I don't think you'll need the attenuator going forward...those are normal readings. Good news about the RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors.

However if you still want to use your UPS and/or HDMI cable you could re-introduce one at a time to see if anything unusual happens.

FWIW you won't see much if any difference between the Component and HDMI PQ, however it's a very good idea to keep TiVo on a UPS.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #7784
cjgadd3

Cool

Quote:
Understood. I don't think you'll need the attenuator going forward...those are normal readings. Good news about the RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors.

However if you still want to use your UPS and/or HDMI cable you could re-introduce one at a time to see if anything unusual happens.

FWIW you won't see much if any difference between the Component and HDMI PQ, however it's a very good idea to keep TiVo on a UPS.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Yes, I intend to put back on the UPS if it stays up for a week. And I don't see a difference between the HDMI and the component cables. Could just be my 62 year old eyes and my 720 P set!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #7785
unitron

Quote:
I once had the sunrise and few more minutes screen on an S2 DT in B&W until I wiggled the S-Video cable where it plugged into the back of the TiVo. (Had had it apart and just hooked it back up)

Apparently the luminance line was connected but the chrominance line not quite.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:33 AM   #7786
spamdragon

Well, I found my old S3 hard drive and swapped it back in to my unit tonight, and sure enough, it booted right up. Unfortunately, it's showing the guided setup screen, so I'm assuming I hadn't paired the cards, etc. before I upgraded the hard drive when I received it. So this is probably a practically brand new drive. FWIW, the drive I swapped it out with is a 750gb Seagate DB35 that I think I picked up years ago from weaknees. Looks like it even still has a few months of warranty left, so maybe I can eventually use the replacement to upgrade my 2nd S3...

As far as next steps go...

1) I am still planning on plugging in my failing drive to a PC and running a few tests on it. I seem to remember this is not a good idea under Windows 7, correct? I pulled down seatools from seagate's website, but am not sure I want to plug this right into my PC without finding a linux boot disk or something. Do I remember that correctly?

2) I'm going to probably buy and install a 1tb WD10EVCS drive when I eventually get back to full speed. Am I better off configuring/updating my original drive before I do the upgrade or copying it first, and then going through setup, etc. then? Also see #3.

3) Unitron mentioned it might be possible to dd the partitions with my recordings somehow back onto my drive. Even if this was ultimately a short term thing so I could archive through tivo desktop, I would love it if someone could point me to a good thread or two on this. I definitely had some recordings I'd love to be able to retrieve if at all possible. (Long term would be awesome, but I'll take even a short-term option to copy via tivo desktop to somewhere else).

Thanks for the advice so far guys! Nice to know it looks like the unit itself isn't dead.
spamdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #7787
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamdragon View Post
Well, I found my old S3 hard drive and swapped it back in to my unit tonight, and sure enough, it booted right up. Unfortunately, it's showing the guided setup screen, so I'm assuming I hadn't paired the cards, etc. before I upgraded the hard drive when I received it. So this is probably a practically brand new drive. FWIW, the drive I swapped it out with is a 750gb Seagate DB35 that I think I picked up years ago from weaknees. Looks like it even still has a few months of warranty left, so maybe I can eventually use the replacement to upgrade my 2nd S3...

1) I am still planning on plugging in my failing drive to a PC and running a few tests on it. I seem to remember this is not a good idea under Windows 7, correct? I pulled down seatools from seagate's website, but am not sure I want to plug this right into my PC without finding a linux boot disk or something. Do I remember that correctly?
You do NOT want to use Disk Manager to get Windows to recognize the drive. That will format it and everything on the drive will be lost. You should be able to use the Seatools ISO to create a stand-alone disk to run any diagnostics.

Quote:
2) I'm going to probably buy and install a 1tb WD10EVCS drive when I eventually get back to full speed. Am I better off configuring/updating my original drive before I do the upgrade or copying it first, and then going through setup, etc. then? Also see #3.
Yes, get your original drive up to speed...latest OS, cable card pairing, etc. That way you'll always have a drive that will one, work immediately if your new drive fails and two, that you can use to image a new drive any time.

Quote:
3) Unitron mentioned it might be possible to dd the partitions with my recordings somehow back onto my drive. Even if this was ultimately a short term thing so I could archive through tivo desktop, I would love it if someone could point me to a good thread or two on this. I definitely had some recordings I'd love to be able to retrieve if at all possible. (Long term would be awesome, but I'll take even a short-term option to copy via tivo desktop to somewhere else).
"dd" or "ddrescue" are unix/linux programs that will make a bit-for-bit copy of an existing drive. "ddrescue" can sometimes correct corrupted data. More info here. Unitron probably has more insight on using it, the benefits and risks.

Ultimately it's a bit of a crap shoot though because without knowing what the problem is with your existing drive, you may be just copying over the same problem to a new drive. That said, your goal is to recreate the existing TiVo drive, but one that works. That's your only hope of pulling recordings off of it and onto a computer (providing they are not copy protected) using TiVo Desktop or one of the third-party programs like KMTTG.

The Seagate DB35 series of drives were outstanding. I still have one that I used initially to create an external drive for our Series3 when the Kickstart 62 hack was discovered back in the day. I was thrilled to have an additional 500GB's of space for the paltry sum of $259 for the drive (on sale) and another $50 for an Antec MX-1 enclosure! The DB35 is still working in an old Dell PC I have and use for TiVo upgrades. The biggest problem I have with it is that it's so silent I cannot tell if it's doing anything unless I look at the activity light on the front of the computer!

Hope that helps and keep us posted.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #7788
unitron

Wd20ears

newegg has the 20ears for 70 bucks, free shipping with promo code

EMCKCJA22

Old 07-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #7789
unitron

Quote:
You do NOT want to use Disk Manager to get Windows to recognize the drive. That will format it and everything on the drive will be lost. You should be able to use the Seatools ISO to create a stand-alone disk to run any diagnostics.

Yes, get your original drive up to speed...latest OS, cable card pairing, etc. That way you'll always have a drive that will one, work immediately if your new drive fails and two, that you can use to image a new drive any time.

"dd" or "ddrescue" are unix/linux programs that will make a bit-for-bit copy of an existing drive. "ddrescue" can sometimes correct corrupted data. More info here. Unitron probably has more insight on using it, the benefits and risks.

Ultimately it's a bit of a crap shoot though because without knowing what the problem is with your existing drive, you may be just copying over the same problem to a new drive. That said, your goal is to recreate the existing TiVo drive, but one that works. That's your only hope of pulling recordings off of it and onto a computer (providing they are not copy protected) using TiVo Desktop or one of the third-party programs like KMTTG.

The Seagate DB35 series of drives were outstanding. I still have one that I used initially to create an external drive for our Series3 when the Kickstart 62 hack was discovered back in the day. I was thrilled to have an additional 500GB's of space for the paltry sum of $259 for the drive (on sale) and another $50 for an Antec MX-1 enclosure! The DB35 is still working in an old Dell PC I have and use for TiVo upgrades. The biggest problem I have with it is that it's so silent I cannot tell if it's doing anything unless I look at the activity light on the front of the computer!

Hope that helps and keep us posted.

I've used dd_rescue off of the MFS Live cd, but I have not yet tried out ddrescue, which is apparently more correctly referred to as Gnu ddrescue.

Here's another place that explains some of the differences between the various "dd" programs.

http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/node/51

There may be a dd-rescue floating around out there somewhere as well.

That's the trouble with computers and such, you have to spend all that time being careful and paying attention to details and stuff.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #7790
unitron

Quote:

Thanks for the advice so far guys! Nice to know it looks like the unit itself isn't dead.
The following assumes you aren't using a GigaByte brand motherboard.

I'm pretty sure that just booting Win7 with the TiVo drive attached won't do anything to it like Win2K and early XP did.

Install WinMFS.

Disconnnect the PC's internet/network connection.

Boot with the sick replacement drive installed to the PC.

Temporarily disable any anti-virus programs.

Do not use any of the Windows utilities.

Run WinMFS, select the TiVo drive, click on MFS info, see whether it says you're using partitions 2, 3, and 4 to boot from or 5, 6, and 7.

If 2-3-4, choose fixboot option 2, if 5-6-7, choose option 1.

This will set the drive to use the alternate boot partitions.

Try it in the TiVo.

If no change put it back in the PC and run whichever option you did not choose before to put things back the way they were.

This has almost no chance of solving your problem, but it did work one time for me on an S2 DT, although I'm really not sure why.

It does have the virtue of "won't make things any worse than they already are".

If you aren't too budget constrained, and if the original S3 can use a 2TB drive the way the HD can, go ahead and pick up one of those WD20EARS drives from newegg I mentioned in a post above while they're on sale.

If nothing else you can use it in the PC (Win 7 can handle it's "advanced format" 4K sectors) as one big NT partition in conjunction with TiVo Desktop as a place to back up shows.

More later.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #7791
unitron

Quote:

Once again assuming that you aren't using a GigaByte brand motherboard, this may work.

You'll need to boot from the MFS Live cd v1.4, and it would probably be best not to have your Win7 drive attached at all.

Use dd_rescue to copy the bad 750GB drive to another drive as big or bigger.

This will take a while. And then some.

If bigger, it will eventually return EOF. That means end of file, and indicates that it transferred all of the 750GB until it reached the end of it.

At this point you'll have a drive that thinks it's a 750GB, because it'll have a partition map from a 750.

Then you use dd_rescue to copy over partitions 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and VAR, which I think is 9, from the original still good TiVo drive to the new "thinks it's a 750" drive.

I'm assuming that although you may have increased the size of the swap partition, which I think is partition 8, you didn't do anything about the VAR partition and let whatever software you used for the original upgrade use the default settings, which would make it the same size on both disks.

Any partition you copy over on top of another partition has to be the same size as that partition for the partition map from the bad 750 to be accurate and the new "pretending to be a 750" to work.

If all goes well, you'll have a drive that thinks it's 750GB, that has good boot partitions, and that has the MFS partitions from the bad 750, although if you haven't already run guided setup on the original drive you'll have to do it on this one to be able to get to the Now Playing list.

If it boots in the TiVo, you can start transferring shows via Tivo desktop to the computer.

When that's finished, you can use the original Tivo drive and MFS Live or WinMFS to create a new, larger drive for the TiVo (might as well go for 1 or 2 TB) and then transfer the shows back from the computer. Or leave them on the computer and transfer them back when you're actually ready to watch them.

So, what we're doing here is assuming that the actual MFS partitions (where the shows are stored) on the bad 750 are good and that it's the TiVo booting and operating system partitions that have gone bad, and copying everything bit for bit, and then replacing the boot and OS partitions with known good ones from the original drive.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #7792
mattack

Will this one work in a Tivo HD?
http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/...600-Hard-Drive

Hitachi 2 TB Coolspin SATA hard drive.

I know I'll be wasting most of the space, but the 1 TB drives are typically $10 less nowadays..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #7793
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Will this one work in a Tivo HD?
http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/...600-Hard-Drive

Hitachi 2 TB Coolspin SATA hard drive.

I know I'll be wasting most of the space, but the 1 TB drives are typically $10 less nowadays..
IIRC one other person successfully upgraded their TiVo using this drive. Unfortunately it's too new to "rate" but I haven't seen them come back to say anything negative about it.

If you have a TiVo HD there's no reason to leave any space unused...you can fully upgrade your THD to 2TB's! See here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

Follow the directions carefully and in no time you'll have 317 hours of HD recording goodness.

Happy upgrading!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #7794
mattack

The FAQ says this is the maximum 1 drive capacity:

Tivo HD TCD652160 1.26 TB* (1260 GB)

edit: OK, now I guess I remember. I don't do Windows. If there's a bootable-CD/DVD way of doing this (i.e. that will boot ON a Mac, but into Linux or whatever).. including the expanding part.. great.. Otherwise, I guess I end up 'wasting' the space.

and I didn't reread everything, but jmfs seems like it needs my original drive.. So I can't start with my existing expanded drive (which I did with jmfs in ~Jan or so, which is making me worried I'm having even MORE hardware probs and not "just" a drive problem) to save my recordings? If so, I'll probably just try dd-ing from the old drive to the new one.. at least to save my stuff.

edit2: rereading yet again, apparently some people are getting jmfs to work from an existing upgraded drive.

Last edited by mattack : 07-25-2011 at 10:09 PM.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #7795
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The FAQ says this is the maximum 1 drive capacity:

Tivo HD TCD652160 1.26 TB* (1260 GB)

edit: OK, now I guess I remember. I don't do Windows. If there's a bootable-CD/DVD way of doing this (i.e. that will boot ON a Mac, but into Linux or whatever).. including the expanding part.. great.. Otherwise, I guess I end up 'wasting' the space.

and I didn't reread everything, but jmfs seems like it needs my original drive.. So I can't start with my existing expanded drive (which I did with jmfs in ~Jan or so, which is making me worried I'm having even MORE hardware probs and not "just" a drive problem) to save my recordings? If so, I'll probably just try dd-ing from the old drive to the new one.. at least to save my stuff.

edit2: rereading yet again, apparently some people are getting jmfs to work from an existing upgraded drive.
The FAQ is correct in that the limit is as listed IF you're using winMFS to upgrade a TiVo. As you've seen, the link is to the jmfs upgrade thread where the limit is 2TB.

Yes, you can use jmfs to upgrade your hard drive using your already upgraded hard drive as it is smaller than the new 2TB hard drive so you can expand it again. Your recordings, settings, etc. will remain intact.

You can use a Mac for the upgrade. You'll need both your existing and your new hard drives connected at the same time. The ideal, fastest way is via SATA to the motherboard. If you have a Mac Pro you can do that. If you have an iMac, Mac Mini, etc. you'll need two SATA/USB adapters or two SATA/USB docks (or a combination of the two). If all you have is a Macbook laptop that's more challenging although some have had success. If you have access to a PC with a couple of available SATA ports on the MB that's an option as well.

The jmfs program is much easier to use than winMFS so you shouldn't have any issues. Read ALL of the directions carefully, follow them to the letter and you should have no problems. But if you do, post back here and somebody is bound to help.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #7796
husky55

I do not have enough data to find out how long a HD ( WD for instance ) last in a TivoHD. I realize that ambient temp plays a big role but Tivo is 24/7 so is 3 year about a good time to replace the HD?

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #7797
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post
I do not have enough data to find out how long a HD ( WD for instance ) last in a TivoHD. I realize that ambient temp plays a big role but Tivo is 24/7 so is 3 year about a good time to replace the HD?
Series1's and Series2's hard drives used to last five years and more (some talk about nine years or so!) and although hard drive technology has improved the stress was far less on those units than the hi-def units place on them today. Of course as you mention, there are a lot of "outside influences" that go into the mix...heat, demand, power supply consistency and more not to mention the QC of the drive manufacturer at the time it was made.

More often than not a drive will give you some indication that things are going south...reboots, glitches, odd behavior of some nature. That usually gives you enough time to act. However other times they just quit and there go your recordings. Now that our Premiere (and yours) has a 2TB drive (and our lousy cableco opted to copy protect everything except broadcast channels I can't archive any) it boggles my mind to think about losing them all.

I'd say three years is a safe point to think about replacing a drive now. It's preventative maintenance and at the price of today's hard drives some pretty cheap insurance.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #7798
husky55

@richsadams,

Thank you for the words of wisdom. Comcast is driving me crazy with their M-Cards and copy protected channels!!!

I would lose all my UConn championships games this year ( Big East and NCAA champs in case it's not well known in the NW) in addition to all those George Carlin performances if and when my HD gave out. I have an external ESata drive, wonder if that make the M-Card go crazy when replaced with just 1 HD.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #7799
lpwcomp

Quote:
The jmfs program is much easier to use than winMFS so you shouldn't have any issues. Read ALL of the directions carefully, follow them to the letter and you should have no problems. But if you do, post back here and somebody is bound to help.
Since I haven't used jmfs, I can't really speak to this but I found WinMFS very easy to use. While you have to use jmfs to copy, image, and expand a 2TB drive, you must use WinMFS to Supersize it.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #7800
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Since I haven't used jmfs, I can't really speak to this but I found WinMFS very easy to use. While you have to use jmfs to copy, image, and expand a 2TB drive, you must use WinMFS to Supersize it.
Supersizing is just a drop down/click. winMFS is fairly easy indeed, but jmfs basically automates all of the work so it's even easier. (FWIW you only have to use winMFS to Supersize TiVo HD's...it's built into jmfs for Premiere upgrades.)