TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #751
e30cabrio

Thanks!

So simple, I had no clue I could change that!

e30cabrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #752
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30cabrio View Post
I'm talking about the little program, that lets you see the drive usage. It has always gone up. It started at 17x.x when I first got the TiVo and is now here:
Thanks
Oh, okay, got it. As bkdtv says, just update the disk space.

Whoops...you beat me to it!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #753
mcmoore

I received my replacement DVR Expander and eSata cable from Western Digital. This one works fine. yeah. Everything froze after going thru the whole process. I just unplugged the Tivo and plugged back in. After the boot, the new drive was there and so far all is well and I have lots of hours of HD storage. Finally.
mcmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #754
Fresno

Thumbs up eSATA 1 TB drive and the Antec MX-1 enclosure rocks!!

In December I purchased the Series 3 HD Tivo. per the amazing detials offered by bkdtv...I purchased the following: Hitachi Cinemastar 1000Gb HCS721010KLA330 and the Antec MX-1 enclosure: In about 20 minutes I was at full capacity with my Tivo Series 3. The Hitachi Cinemaster 1TB drive ($350 after tax and shipping) coupled with the Antec MX-1 (about $56 on amazon and comes with a rebate)---is whisper quiet AND there is NO heat at all. ZERO. It's amazing. Would HIGHLY recommend this configuration if you want no noise, no heat and LOTS of external storage. Thank you bkdtv...your detailed post rocks!!!
Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #755
saz25

slight issue after installing My DVR Expander

Hi,
Yesterday I purchased My DVR Expander at BestBuy. The install went almost flawless, except for one issue.

When I powered on the TivoHD after connecting the Expander and following the on-screen instructions, when it was done, I had lost my Cablecard connection. I needed to call Comcast to have them send a signal to the cablecard in order for me to receive channels. All is fine now.

The Cablecard had been working fine for about 2 months. This is first time I powered down the unit.

Will I always run into this issue when I power cycle or did the installation of external storage mess up the cablecard setup?

Has anyone else seen this?
Thanks,
Steve
saz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #756
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by saz25 View Post
Will I always run into this issue when I power cycle or did the installation of external storage mess up the cablecard setup?

Has anyone else seen this?
Not quite the same circumstances, but similar.

I just upgraded my Series 3 (a long process for me, reported earlier, at length, in this thread). After powering the TiVo back up, I noted that I had lost HD channels in the Morris County, NJ, Cablevision system. Not the cable-fed OTA channels (in the New York area, 2 through 13, carried as 702 though 713), but the remainder of CV's HD offerings. CV advised that they would send a "hit" to my CableCards, and that I should reboot the TiVo.

That solved the problem.

As for future power cycles, I can't say. But I can say that the TiVo and the new external drive (a Hitachi 1TB bare drive in an Antec MX-1 enclosure) are both powered through a Tripp-Lite USB device. Thus they're not likely to power down unless an external power failure is several hours in length.

TiVo Series 3 (1TB internal; 1TB external)
SAT-T60 DirecTiVo (retired except to view archived recordings)
Burt Spielman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #757
e30cabrio

The DVR EXPANDER was in my line of sight and the light is annoying so I moved it and the TiVo rebooted.

When it came back on it said the external storage was missing. I checked the connection and it was firmly connected but I R&R'd both the eSATA & power and it is fine. Is there a problem with the eSATA cable or is this normal?
Old 01-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #758
saz25

> Is there a problem with the eSATA cable or is this normal?

I noticed immediately that the eSATA cable seats VERY well into the Expander, but isn't quite as tight into the TivoHD. I tried to push it in as best I can and its definitely not a good/tight fit. Is that how its supposed to be or did Tivo choose a cheap connector?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by saz25 : 01-20-2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: typo
saz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #759
msrolla

The cable that came with my WD DVR Expander seemed to work ok. Connections were tight. No problem with recording and playing back TV shows.

However... Some Amazon Unbox content downloaded to the DVR was pixelated. Repeated the download and still pixelated. Downloaded to another DVR and it looked ok. I replaced the cable with the SIIG cable, repeated the download and it was ok.

YMMV and it may have been circumstantial, but it sure looks like it was a cable problem.
msrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:05 AM   #760
richsadams

Based on numerous posts over the past few months, the eSATA cables supplied with the WD My DVR Expander appear to be problematic. If you're having issues it's best to simply replace the supplied cable with one recommended on the first post of this thread such as the SIIG Inc eSATA to eSATA Cable. $10 or so is very cheap insurance against reboots, lost programs, etc.

Perhaps WD will get its act together one of these days.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #761
slerner

Exclamation DVR Expander Lost

Today, my second day with the expander hooked up, Tivo alerted me that it had been removed. I hadn't removed it at all. After disconnecting everything and repowering I finally got it to recognize the external drive again.

Unfortunately all content on the external drive was lost. To my knowledge none of the cables were moved. Any ideas why this happened? I'm very paranoid now about losing all of my content. Is there a way to get the Tivo to find it that might have spared the content?

I'm using an eSata cable I bought at myCableMart.com b/c I needed more then the 3 ft WD so generoursly included.
slerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #762
c3
TiVoholic

I would highly recommend staying with a 1m/3ft cable if at all possible. Longer cable usually causes more problems because of signal degradation.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #763
e30cabrio

I am using the cable the drive came with, I had no idea it was a problem, glad I asked. will order a new cable.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #764
slerner

Red face DVR Expander Lost, but saved this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
I would highly recommend staying with a 1m/3ft cable if at all possible. Longer cable usually causes more problems because of signal degradation.
Thanks for the tip. I went to watch my HD Tivo again and it was giving me the same message. This time rather then listening to the on-screen message I simply pulled the plug on the Tivo.

I switched back to the original eSata cable. I also moved the expander to a location where the cable should have much less stress on it. Unfortunately that means it is much closer to my Tivo inside an entertainment unit, so there's much more heat now .

I think one of my problems is upon closer inspection my 6 ft. cable was a type I and not a type II. Can someone recommend a good deal on a type II cable. It seems that the WD ones have been causing some issues. I'd like to have a backup to be safe.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #765
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by slerner View Post
Can someone recommend a good deal on a type II cable. It seems that the WD ones have been causing some issues. I'd like to have a backup to be safe.
My post above has a link to one of the recommended eSATA cables. The first post on this thread has others (see #26).
Old 01-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #766
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I just added the expander yesterday with no problems, and the drive box is sitting happily behind my tv, out of sight and lots of space for the heat to leave.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #767
e30cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
My post above has a link to one of the recommended eSATA cables. The first post on this thread has others (see #26).
I ordered the above referenced cable for 13.98 delivered. Thanks for the referral
Old 01-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #768
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30cabrio View Post
I ordered the above referenced cable for 13.98 delivered. Thanks for the referral
Glad to help...but it's sad that you or anyone has to order a cable because WD can't supply a decent one with their drives.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #769
titsataki

Have you guys noticed a couple Seagate drives on New Egg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0GB+and+higher

The second one is 1Tb for 274.99 shipped.

Cheers

Nick
titsataki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #770
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by titsataki View Post
Have you guys noticed a couple Seagate drives on New Egg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0GB+and+higher

The second one is 1Tb for 274.99 shipped.

Cheers

Nick
I had an unsuccessful experience with a pair of Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB drives. Very noisy and, perhaps malfunctioning. I was able to return them to Newegg, after having had them for more than a month, for a (surprising) full refund (less shipping, of course). Elsewhere, I bought Hitachi Deskstars instead (@ 2 for $538.25 shipped), which are working well. Seagate has announced a DB35 version of its 1TB drive (same as the 750GB drive I replaced); suggest you wait for it or go to a different brand for now. See post 677, et seq, in this thread.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #771
titsataki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Spielman View Post
I had an unsuccessful experience with a pair of Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB drives. Very noisy and, perhaps malfunctioning. I was able to return them to Newegg, after having had them for more than a month, for a (surprising) full refund (less shipping, of course). Elsewhere, I bought Hitachi Deskstars instead (@ 2 for $538.25 shipped), which are working well. Seagate has announced a DB35 version of its 1TB drive (same as the 750GB drive I replaced); suggest you wait for it or go to a different brand for now. See post 677, et seq, in this thread.
Thanks for the input. Wow 1Tb Hitachi Deskstar at ~$270 each shipped is an excellent price.

Regards

Nick
titsataki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #772
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Wow 1Tb Hitachi Deskstar at ~$270 each shipped is an excellent price.

Regards

Nick
I thought so, too, especially considering all of the difficulties I encountered in what should have been a relatively straightforward upgrade process. Alas, when I just looked at the website of the vendor I bought from (www.isquaredinc.com), the Hitachi drives no longer appear. They were very communicative when I had some questions about Hitachi model numbers. If you're interested, you might call them at 801-733-4332. The hard drive market is very volatile, though, and they might never carry them again.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #773
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Since you have TiVoHD, the WD10EACS is cheaper, quieter, and cooler.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #774
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
I even have doubts that the eSATA connection on the HD is a true eSATA connection electrically. On the motherboard it looks just like the internal SATA connection. The signals are generally compatible but eSATA is slightly hotter hence the longer length spec.

SATA=1 meter max length
eSATA=2 meter max length
Old 01-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #775
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
I even have doubts that the eSATA connection on the HD is a true eSATA connection electrically.
I'm not sure about the dates, but the eSATA spec and/or draft might not even be available when the Broadcom chip was designed.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #776
e30cabrio

Quote:
Glad to help...but it's sad that you or anyone has to order a cable because WD can't supply a decent one with their drives.

Agreed but <14.00 is cheap insurance to protect the TiVo. Reboots followed by loss of external storage it is looking for can't be good for it.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #777
slerner

Quote:
Thanks Rich! Since going back to the WD included cable and relocating my Expander things have been running well. I may buy the cable just to have an extra one on hand in an emergency.

I read on the first post that you can lay the expander down. Anyone try this? I wasn't sure if it would run ok since there are no pictures of it laying down on its side. It would fit much better in my entertainment unit on its side, but I don't want to go this route if it is problematic.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #778
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by slerner View Post
Thanks Rich! Since going back to the WD included cable and relocating my Expander things have been running well. I may buy the cable just to have an extra one on hand in an emergency.

I read on the first post that you can lay the expander down. Anyone try this? I wasn't sure if it would run ok since there are no pictures of it laying down on its side. It would fit much better in my entertainment unit on its side, but I don't want to go this route if it is problematic.
No worries. Glad to hear that you got the original cable to work. I removed our eSATA drive when I upgraded the internal drive but I always had one of the recommended cables in a drawer JIC.

You can safely place the external drive in any position you want...it won't affect the performance other than it won't be able to dissipate as much heat if it's laying on its side. If it's ventilated well it shouldn't be a problem. More contact with the surface may increase the noise level a bit. Some have put something like a mouse pad underneath to insulate it from whatever it's sitting on. Just make sure it stays cool...and more importantly, that those connections are secure!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #779
ChrisNJ

Question 2 part question - changing eSata drives

Hi all,

I am currently running my Tivo S3 with a 500GB Cavalry drive and haven't had any problems with it other than a noisy fan. I was wondering if I could take the drive out of the Cavalry enclosure and put it into an Antec MX-1 which seems to be the enclosure of choice here. Will I be able to do that without losing any recordings or will the Tivo detect a different enclosure and reinitialize the drive?

I also wanted to find out if there is a procedure to copy the data from one external drive to another external drive while preserving the recordings. i.e. if I wanted to migrate to a larger 750 GB drive with the Antec enclosure.

Thanks for any help!

Chris
ChrisNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:13 AM   #780
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNJ View Post
Hi all,

I am currently running my Tivo S3 with a 500GB Cavalry drive and haven't had any problems with it other than a noisy fan. I was wondering if I could take the drive out of the Cavalry enclosure and put it into an Antec MX-1 which seems to be the enclosure of choice here. Will I be able to do that without losing any recordings or will the Tivo detect a different enclosure and reinitialize the drive?

I also wanted to find out if there is a procedure to copy the data from one external drive to another external drive while preserving the recordings. i.e. if I wanted to migrate to a larger 750 GB drive with the Antec enclosure.

Thanks for any help!

Chris
You can switch your external hard drive to a new enclosure w/o any problems. TiVo recognizes the drive model, not the enclosure. Our MX-1 was very quiet BTW. I noticed that Circuit City has the Antec MX-1 on sale for $39.99 this week.

Be sure to follow the proper steps for shutting things down:

1. Unplug TiVo
2. Unplug and disconnect your eSATA drive
3. Reconnect your "new" eSATA drive to TiVo and turn it on
4. Plug TiVo in

As long as you follow those steps, TiVo will never know your drive went missing.

At this time there is no method for copying recordings from one external drive to another. To change expansion drives they must be properly divorced from TiVo (or other problems arise). Every time a new drive is connected to TiVo it reformats it and all content is lost. (That won't be the case with switching drive enclosures as you'd like to do however as the drive itself will be the same.) Spike at MFSLive.org has been working on this, but nothing to date.