Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #7711
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by istrategist View Post
It seems to work, however it is showing me only 142 hours instead of 157. Remember reading somewhere that it may be that way until a software upgrade.
It maybe you need to run supersize on the drive. If you used WinMFS, there is the supersize option. You can do it any time anyways.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #7712
adamwsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by istrategist View Post
Bought a 1 T WD EARS from Amazon last week and got one manufactured Sep 27 2010. A big thank you to everyone who contributed to the sticky and made the upgrade easy. Only glitch was that when I reset it froze on the welcome screen, so I had to wdidle it - however, it showed some random characters when I booted from the CD, so I created a bootable USB (following steps from a google search result: CANNOT POST MY LINK BECAUSE OF LOW POST COUNT) except the last part where I used the WDIDLE3 from the iso on this site.

It seems to work, however it is showing me only 142 hours instead of 157. Remember reading somewhere that it may be that way until a software upgrade.

Again, really appreciate the step by step detailed FAQ and guidance...

I posted my WD10EARS experience here.

I had the same funky characters issue. To correct it I followed the instructions that are at the top of this thread: "If you have a newer PC, you may need to enter your PC bios and temporarily switch your SATA controller to EIDE mode from AHCI/RAID. This change is needed before a bootable DOS CD can detect the drive on some newer PCs."

Interesting that your USB idea did the trick!
Two Tivo Series2s (One Lifetime, One Monthly)
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adamwsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #7713
istrategist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
It maybe you need to run supersize on the drive. If you used WinMFS, there is the supersize option. You can do it any time anyways.
I selected that option as part of the backup restore process. Maybe I should have run it separately again later. May run it separately in a week or so...
istrategist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #7714
asteinfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

The DIY upgrade using winMFS is really quite simple and inexpensive (<$70). Most folks opt for a 1TB upgrade (although you can go slightly larger using a 1.5TB drive w/about 1.3TB being available).

<snip>

Hope that helps and happy upgrading!
A belated thanks for Rich's advice, and I'm happy to report another successful upgrade. Some notes:

1) The process of divorcing the 1 TB Expander took over an hour. I was sure the Tivo had frozen, and was about to pull the plug when it rebooted. Patience is a virtue.

2) I used a WD10EARS for the upgrade. It was manufactured 8/10, so based on this thread I decided to run WDIDLE3. Getting it to successfully run took two different computers and and several hours. I found the whole process remarkably user-unfriendly, and I'd spend a few more bucks on a different brand to avoid this step.

3) After getting past WDIDLE, the rest of the process went quite smoothly according to the FAQ, and I now have a functioning single-drive TiVo. Thanks again for your help.
asteinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #7715
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteinfeld View Post
A belated thanks for Rich's advice, and I'm happy to report another successful upgrade. Some notes:

1) The process of divorcing the 1 TB Expander took over an hour. I was sure the Tivo had frozen, and was about to pull the plug when it rebooted. Patience is a virtue.

2) I used a WD10EARS for the upgrade. It was manufactured 8/10, so based on this thread I decided to run WDIDLE3. Getting it to successfully run took two different computers and and several hours. I found the whole process remarkably user-unfriendly, and I'd spend a few more bucks on a different brand to avoid this step.

3) After getting past WDIDLE, the rest of the process went quite smoothly according to the FAQ, and I now have a functioning single-drive TiVo. Thanks again for your help.
Good points, congrats and enjoy your "new" TiVo!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #7716
rick123

I upgraded my original 1st HD tivo with a WD 500gb drive. That WD drive lasted about 2 years before dying a slow death that allowed me to transfer most recordings prior to replacement. I replaced the 500gb with a WD10EVDS 1gb HD. This second replacement drive is still working fine.

I purchased and upgraded our second HD tivo about a year after the first. This HD tivo received a WD10EVDS 1gb model. That drive also lasted about 2 years before a no notice catastrophic fail with grinding noises etc. All recordings were lost. I will be replacing that drive today (that's why I am back visiting on BB to review procedures...) with an identical model supplied under warranty by WD.

The reason for this post is to let users know that the WD Warranty replacement process is extremely easy! All you do is look your broken drive up by serial #, if under warranty (most are 3 years with partial credit beyond I think) get an RMA number, and ship the drive back (at your cost, but USPS media mail for me was $3.12). WD will ship your replacement drive immediately if you give them a credit card number, or ship upon receiving your broken drive otherwise. I had the replacement drive in 4 days.

I imagine the other drive makers have similar policies, but I've always used WD. Are the drives failing because of quality, I don't know?. But it appears I have a lifetime supply only a few clicks away.

Best regards Tivo community.

1 Premiere Elite, Lifetime Sub
1 Premiere, 2TB DVR Dude HD, Lifetime Sub
TiVo Stream
TiVo Mini
Comcast Digital Cable, XFinity On Demand
Wired Network Connections
rick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #7717
TheLongshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
The reason for this post is to let users know that the WD Warranty replacement process is extremely easy! All you do is look your broken drive up by serial #, if under warranty (most are 3 years with partial credit beyond I think) get an RMA number, and ship the drive back (at your cost, but USPS media mail for me was $3.12). WD will ship your replacement drive immediately if you give them a credit card number, or ship upon receiving your broken drive otherwise. I had the replacement drive in 4 days.
I will second this, since I just got back the EARS that failed in my Tivo and the process was relatively painless. Now I just need to find the time to transfer everything back over and install it in the Tivo.

Quote:
I imagine the other drive makers have similar policies, but I've always used WD. Are the drives failing because of quality, I don't know?. But it appears I have a lifetime supply only a few clicks away.
Well, I do have a stack of 500GB Caviar Blues that failed in my NAS after 3-4 years, tho I suspect it happened because the ventelation was clogged with dust and it wasn't getting the airflow it needed.
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #7718
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
I upgraded my original 1st HD tivo with a WD 500gb drive. That WD drive lasted about 2 years before dying a slow death that allowed me to transfer most recordings prior to replacement. I replaced the 500gb with a WD10EVDS 1gb HD. This second replacement drive is still working fine.

I purchased and upgraded our second HD tivo about a year after the first. This HD tivo received a WD10EVDS 1gb model. That drive also lasted about 2 years before a no notice catastrophic fail with grinding noises etc. All recordings were lost. I will be replacing that drive today (that's why I am back visiting on BB to review procedures...) with an identical model supplied under warranty by WD.

Best regards Tivo community.

When you sent that drive via Media Mail, did the PO give you a hard time about the contents of the package?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #7719
adamwsh

Question

I just replace a Seagate 1TB drive because it was making weird clicking noises and pauses on the screen.

I looked into Seagate's warranty, and the drive is under warranty, but it said to use their SeaTools first to run diagnostics because they won't replace it if there is no codes upon execution of the diagnostics. I ran the SHORT and LONG tests and it did not report any errors. I even formatted it to NTFS and ran Windows 7 Checkdisk and it also did not report any trouble.

So, I guess I can't return it, even though it was making really weird noises and performing poorly.

Why would it make noises and perform poorly in my Tivo, but when running the diagnostics it does not show any problems??
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #7720
rick123

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
When you sent that drive via Media Mail, did the PO give you a hard time about the contents of the package?
I told the woman exactly what it was, she said it was media mail. " I said it was a hard disk containing data files that had failed and was being returned." The policy is old, I think it says "computer disks". But I don't think they can argue that the drive contains digital media files, which are part of the policy.

1 Premiere Elite, Lifetime Sub
1 Premiere, 2TB DVR Dude HD, Lifetime Sub
TiVo Stream
TiVo Mini
Comcast Digital Cable, XFinity On Demand
Wired Network Connections
rick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #7721
toddeades

Last night I saw that some of my recordings on my Tivo HD (with DVD explorer drive) had some problems.

I ran the SMART test on the Tivo and found that my primary drive had "FAIL 7".

so I started with this FAQ and I'm already lost on which drive to get. I want to get a 1TB drive to replace my internal. (I'll move my external drive to another Tivo as I understand I can't use it with a replace internal drive.)

Questions:
1. I'm having a hard time finding drives that match what is recommended. Is this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136236 I understand I'll need to do the tweak on the drive to make it quieter.
2. With some problems on my internal drive what kind luck will I have coping the TIVO settings over (no need for the recordings) to the new drive?

Thanks,
Todd

Long time Tivo user (going back to 2002) but have never upgraded a drive.
toddeades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #7722
toddeades

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddeades View Post
Last night I saw that some of my recordings on my Tivo HD (with DVD explorer drive) had some problems.

so I started with this FAQ and I'm already lost on which drive to get. I want to get a 1TB drive to replace my internal. (I'll move my external drive to another Tivo as I understand I can't use it with a replace internal drive.)

Questions:
1. I'm having a hard time finding drives that match what is recommended. Is this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136236 I understand I'll need to do the tweak on the drive to make it quieter.
2. With some problems on my internal drive what kind luck will I have coping the TIVO settings over (no need for the recordings) to the new drive?

Thanks,
Todd

Ok - I found this drive -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-490-_-Product

I think this will work for me - just have to do the tweak so it will reboot correctly.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #7723
unitron

Quote:

Questions:

Thanks,
Todd

Something's wrong with that newegg listing.

WD10000CSRTL is, or at least has been, the Western Digital part number for a retail package, and at one time I'd have said that the drive inside is actually the WD10EADS.

Nowadays which WD drive you get in a particular retail box (or external enclosure) depends on which month it is, or whether Mars is in retrograde or something.

However, that is a retail box listing, and it should have a 3 year warranty, but it only says it's a one year, and in the feedback people are saying it's an OEM drive.

NE is even selling the EARS drives as bare drives with a 3 year warranty, so I'm really leery of this particular offering.

By the way, what's a " (with DVD explorer drive) "?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #7724
unitron

Quote:
Ok - I found this drive -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-490-_-Product

I think this will work for me - just have to do the tweak so it will reboot correctly.
Slow down, cowboy!

You're in too much of a lather to do this "right now" just when you need to take your time to do the research and get all of your ducks in a row.

You came here and asked the community. Give the community a chance to get its first cup of coffee and respond. You might learn something.

We haven't even heard from richsadams yet!

Old 07-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #7725
toddeades

Quote:
By the way, what's a " (with DVD explorer drive) "?
Sorry, I was referring to "Western Digital My DVR Expander 1 TB"

Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #7726
toddeades

Quote:
Slow down, cowboy!

You're in too much of a lather to do this "right now" just when you need to take your time to do the research and get all of your ducks in a row.

You came here and asked the community. Give the community a chance to get its first cup of coffee and respond. You might learn something.

Noted - thanks.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #7727
TheLongshot

Ok, I was up late last night getting my 1TB EARS replacement up and after running WDIDLE3 and copying stuff from the old drive with WinMFS, I did get it up on my Tivo.

One issue, tho, is that I couldn't get Supersize to work. All it returned was a message that it failed. Any clue why this is a problem?
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #7728
MPSAN

Quote:
Slow down, cowboy!

With the weather we have been having up here, Rich may have gone outside, or to the Beach!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #7729
adamwsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Ok, I was up late last night getting my 1TB EARS replacement up and after running WDIDLE3 and copying stuff from the old drive with WinMFS, I did get it up on my Tivo.

One issue, tho, is that I couldn't get Supersize to work. All it returned was a message that it failed. Any clue why this is a problem?
Were you upgrading the original small Tivo drive, or replacing an already upgraded drive. If it was the latter, the supersize specs were already copied over so it can't be done a 2nd time.
----------

Old 07-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #7730
mattack

I admit this probably sounds like hypocrisy, since I often tell people "sounds like a bad drive" when they first mention having problems.. But now my TivoHD is having problems.. (I have a dead S3 too.. yes, weird..)

Lots of reboots, which makes me think of hard drive problems..

But ALSO, sometimes it gets into this weird state where it won't make new recordings (IIRC, if I try to manually record, I think it gives me error 58.. I will keep track of the #). When I'm in this state, always/usually, my Now Playing list is BLANK, except for the Recently Deleted items and netflix (if it made a recent connection I guess). Today, I tried to save a show out of recently deleted when in this state, and got a generic error, something about it might have already been deleted (probably essentially the same as the error 58 above)

Has anybody else seen these other kinds of weird issues BESIDES reboots, and it been or not been a drive issue?

Rebooting fixes it.. for a while.. and the fact that it takes so !@$# long to reboot and start recording again (10+ minutes including gathering channel info) is obviously annoying.

The weird thing is, this is a drive I put in in January (checked my amazon purchases).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #7731
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwsh View Post
I just replace a Seagate 1TB drive because it was making weird clicking noises and pauses on the screen.

I looked into Seagate's warranty, and the drive is under warranty, but it said to use their SeaTools first to run diagnostics because they won't replace it if there is no codes upon execution of the diagnostics. I ran the SHORT and LONG tests and it did not report any errors. I even formatted it to NTFS and ran Windows 7 Checkdisk and it also did not report any trouble.

So, I guess I can't return it, even though it was making really weird noises and performing poorly.

Why would it make noises and perform poorly in my Tivo, but when running the diagnostics it does not show any problems??
I would try running some of the Kickstarts to see if anything can be resolved:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

See what the SMART test returns.

The "clicking sound" is not good, often a Seagate problem and is usually the first notification that a drive is about to fail. The reason Seatools doesn't return an error is that IIRC it's looking for sector problems, not mechanical. I would call and insist that you get a replacement. The "click of death" is well documented and Seagate should honor their warranty if for nothing else, for not meeting the acoustics standards of the drive.

If anyone is interested in what various hard drive sounds might mean, have a look and listen here...

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

Hope that helps and let us know how things go!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #7732
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
With the weather we have been having up here, Rich may have gone outside, or to the Beach!
Wow...you are psychic or something...the beach it was!!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #7733
unitron

Quote:
Wow...you are psychic or something...the beach it was!!
So now that you're back, shake the sand out of your shoes and skivvies, and give toddeades some of that patented richsadams replacement drive wisdom.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #7734
richsadams

Quote:

Questions:

Thanks,
Todd

If I were to upgrade a TiVo HD today I would go with a 2TB hard drive. The additional cost is nominal for doubling the recording space. To perform a 2TB upgrade you would use the latest jmfs method...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

By following the simple instructions the upgrade process is dead simple (easier than winMFS).

With respect to hard drives one of these two should work fine:

WD20EURS

WD20EARS

When it comes to TiVo the only difference between the two is that the WD20EURS is a dedicated A/V drive and is a bit quieter. However if you want to add one more step to the upgrade process you can easily change the Auto Acoustic Management (AAM) in the WD20EARS to match that of the WD20EURS at 128 by using HDDScan.

If the drive is manufactured after Sep 15, 2010 (and almost any you'd order now would be) you may or may not have to run wdidle3.exe to adjust the timeout to avoid the initial boot or reboot issue caused by WD's Intellipark "feature". The only way to find out would be to perform the upgrade, install the drive and see if it first boots up (may take two or three tries) and if so if it will reboot from the menu restart command. If everything goes fine, no need to run the program. If it doesn't you'd need to run it. Some just make the adjustment (as instructed on the FAQ of this thread) as a precaution.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #7735
unitron

Quote:
If I were to upgrade a TiVo HD today I would go with a 2TB hard drive. The additional cost is nominal for doubling the recording space. To perform a 2TB upgrade you would use the latest jmfs method...

By following the simple instructions the upgrade process is dead simple (easier than winMFS).

WD20EURS

WD20EARS

When it comes to TiVo the only difference between the two is that the WD20EURS is a dedicated A/V drive and is a bit quieter. However if you want to add one more step to the upgrade process you can easily change the Auto Acoustic Management (AAM) in the WD20EARS to match that of the WD20EURS at 128 by using HDDScan.

If the drive is manufactured after Sep 15, 2010 (and almost any you'd order now would be) you may or may not have to run wdidle3.exe to adjust the timeout to avoid the initial boot or reboot issue caused by WD's Intellipark "feature". The only way to find out would be to perform the upgrade, install the drive and see if it first boots up (may take two or three tries) and if so if it will reboot from the menu restart command. If everything goes fine, no need to run the program. If it doesn't you'd need to run it. Some just make the adjustment (as instructed on the FAQ of this thread) as a precaution.

Now that's service!

Old 07-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #7736
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I admit this probably sounds like hypocrisy, since I often tell people "sounds like a bad drive" when they first mention having problems.. But now my TivoHD is having problems.. (I have a dead S3 too.. yes, weird..)

Lots of reboots, which makes me think of hard drive problems..

But ALSO, sometimes it gets into this weird state where it won't make new recordings (IIRC, if I try to manually record, I think it gives me error 58.. I will keep track of the #). When I'm in this state, always/usually, my Now Playing list is BLANK, except for the Recently Deleted items and netflix (if it made a recent connection I guess). Today, I tried to save a show out of recently deleted when in this state, and got a generic error, something about it might have already been deleted (probably essentially the same as the error 58 above)

Has anybody else seen these other kinds of weird issues BESIDES reboots, and it been or not been a drive issue?

Rebooting fixes it.. for a while.. and the fact that it takes so !@$# long to reboot and start recording again (10+ minutes including gathering channel info) is obviously annoying.

The weird thing is, this is a drive I put in in January (checked my amazon purchases).
Sounds like a drive issue to me. I'd run the Kickstarts and see if it can be resolved.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

I'd also try removing everything from the mix except your TV. Disconnect the coax, wifi adapter, etc., everything except the connection to your TV and see if things improve. If they do it could be an external issue, but it could still be the hard drive. Removing incoming data may ease a drive's I/O error correction problems.

Also try plugging your TiVo directly into the wall instead of a surge protector (not recommended in any case) or UPS (highly recommended) to ensure a clean power source. TiVo is fairly sensitive to power instability.

Bottom line is that it does sound like a failing hard drive though.

Hope that helps, best of luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #7737
richsadams

Quote:
So now that you're back, shake the sand out of your shoes and skivvies, and give toddeades some of that patented richsadams replacement drive wisdom.
It's getting all of the sand off of the dogs that's really time consuming!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #7738
unitron

Quote:
It's getting all of the sand off of the dogs that's really time consuming!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #7739
zgeist

Best drive and method to upgrade Series 3?

I would like to upgrade the internal drive of my Series 3 tivo. What would be the best drive and method to use?

From what I have read so far, I can only upgrade to 1TB - but then I read this post below that implies that maybe I can upgrade to 2TB? Is there a new method for upgrading that would let me use the full 2TB or would part of that drive's space be wasted?

Also, are the two drives recommended in this post for a Tivo HD upgrade also valid for a Series 3 upgrade?

Thanks!

Tonya

Quote:

WD20EURS

WD20EARS

zgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #7740
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeist View Post
I would like to upgrade the internal drive of my Series 3 tivo. What would be the best drive and method to use?

From what I have read so far, I can only upgrade to 1TB - but then I read this post below that implies that maybe I can upgrade to 2TB? Is there a new method for upgrading that would let me use the full 2TB or would part of that drive's space be wasted?

Also, are the two drives recommended in this post for a Tivo HD upgrade also valid for a Series 3 upgrade?

Thanks!

Tonya
Hi Tonya. Unfortunately jmfs doesn't work on the Series3, just the TiVo HD and Premiere. So doing a DIY upgrade using winMFS as described in the first post of this thread you can actually upgrade to about 1.3TB using a 1.5TB drive in your Series3. However most just go with 1TB.

Similar to the above 2TB recommendation these 1TB drives are most often used to upgrade the Series3:

WD10EURS

WD10EARS

Per the above post, the EURS is a dedicated A/V drive (AAM is preset to 128) and the EARS is a "normal" drive which is a little louder (but still very quiet). The AAM can also be set to 128 on the EARS drive using HDDScan. Me? I'd go with the WD10EURS for a couple of dollars more and save the fuss.

That said a couple of folks have been selling 2TB pre-imaged drives for the Series3. I haven't looked lately but DVRDude on eBay and Weaknees.com were both selling them. The cost is about double that of doing a 1TB DIY upgrade yourself, but if you really need the space, and/or don't care to deal with a little PC time, it's an option. The only downside is that by buying a pre-imaged drive (instead of using your own TiVo's drive to image a new/larger drive) you'll basically have a new TiVo. That means re-pairing cable cards and such as necessary.

Either way, be sure to sign up at TiVo.com to keep your Season Passes on line...that can save a lot of time after an upgrade.