TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #7681
ashu
User title defunct

Folks, another reminder to do the C&DE if your image (for an S3 etc) came from someone else's device!

Luckily, my VZCablceards needed no re-pairing (amazing customer service story, if you're interested) and a C&DE + Guided Setup eliminated the Error # 51 I was seeing (and my Service number shows up now, not 0000000... Unavailable!)

ETA: It is GREAT to have TiVo back after over a year of the icky Comcast 64xx and two weeks of the verizon (slightly better) 64xx! Pity I now lack the time to watcht eh 1TB worth of shows that will slowly but surely fill up my S3!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!

Last edited by ashu : 06-08-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added stuff
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #7682
jhill1977

Exclamation TiVo HD (NON-XL 2TB image needed)

Can someone point me to an image for a 2TB TiVo HD (TCD652160) SINGLE DRIVE setup?

Thanks..

JH
jhill1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #7683
WestTx

Success!

I'm happy to report another success story for a first-time upgrader...

The only issue I had was trying to use a Thermaltake USB/SATA enclosure. After 20 minutes the backup had written only ~3K of data and was still on Partition 10. I aborted, shut everything down, rebooted my desktop and tried again but with the same result. I had previously used the enclosure to do a truncated backup of a different TivoHD (as a trial run while waiting for the new harddrive to arrive from newegg) and had no problem. That backup took less than 10 minutes.

I was also unable to use the enclosure to run WDIDLE3.EXE after booting my HP desktop using a thumbdrive-built boot-to-DOS configuration. I kinda expected this wouldn't work based on other posts in this thread but wanted to try it anyway.

I eventually opened up my desktop and used the CD/DVD connectors on the old Tivo drive and the new WD10EVDS and the upgrade was as smooth as silk. It took just under 2 minutes to backup the old drive and about the same time to restore to the new drive. WDIDLE3.EXE was applied using the /D option and worked fine. WDIDLE3.EXE reported one drive was not a WD drive and reported the idle disabled on the new drive. I guess if my desktop's drive had been a WD drive the idle would have been disabled on it. I wondered about that before running the WD IDLE utility.

After plugging the Tivo back in, it booted up fine with all my Season Passes intact and listing all the previously recorded shows. I didn't expect the previously recorded shows to still show up in the Now Playing list so I just deleted all the entries there and in the Recently Deleted folder. Of course, those were only the show names - the recordings themselves were not on the drive because I used the Truncated Backup in WinMFS. So I suppose I'm all done now.

I do appreciate all the support provided by TCF and by the contributors to this upgrade thread in particular. Thanks!

One thing more... the first backup I did (the trial run) resulted in a backup file of just over 47MB. The backup on the Tivo I upgraded is 477MB. Can someone tell me why such a difference in backup sizes? Maybe the first backup (using the USB/SATA enclosure) was not really complete although winmfs reported complete?

Les
dead Tivo Series 2 w/Lifetime
WestTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #7684
jilter
Happy to be here.

Is there enough experience to know if it is safe to put a 1.5 Tb in a TivoHD?
I think I have found the courage to go ahead and D-I-M!

Jill
Old 06-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #7685
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter View Post

Jill
The answer is probably about 50 or 100 pages back, but let me add, do not do the work with a GigaByte brand motherboard.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #7686
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhill1977 View Post
Can someone point me to an image for a 2TB TiVo HD (TCD652160) SINGLE DRIVE setup?JH
Try the "image thread", though most folks around here build the 2TB from their stock HDD.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #7687
jilter
Happy to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The answer is probably about 50 or 100 pages back, but let me add, do not do the work with a GigaByte brand motherboard.
Any possibility someone can give me the answer straight out? Pretty Please.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #7688
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter

Jill
Safe? There are certainly a number of folks that have successfully done so.

The better bet is to just upgrade to a 2TB drive using jmfs and enjoy the extra recording space for about the same price.

Happy upgrading!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:13 AM   #7689
unitron

Quote:
Any possibility someone can give me the answer straight out? Pretty Please.
Sorry I can't drop everything, including trying to help a couple of others here with machines that are actually not working at the moment, to do your research for you, but if you Google "GigaByte HPA"*, you'll see I was trying to save you from being one of those people with non-working machines.

*HPA=Host Protected Area

Old 06-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #7690
jhill1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
Try the "image thread", though most folks around here build the 2TB from their stock HDD.
It was my understanding that the only way to make a SINGLE drive 2 gb setup was to use one if the "special images" floating around...as a TiVo HD (non XL version) is limited to approx 1.26 gb using the traditional tools. I'm not aware of a way to make a 2tb single drive setup using my stock 160gb drive. I setup my TiVo Series 3 years ago to use a pair of 1tb drives.

Justin
Old 06-12-2011, 03:31 AM   #7691
jhill1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
Well after a bit more digging, I found the thread about using JMFS with the TiVo HD. That being said, once, I'm done with the copy/expand/supersize process, is it possible to make a truncated copy of my new 2TB TiVo HD drive with WinMFS to have as a backup? Regardless, it WOULD be nice to have a copy of the "Broflovski" 2TB TiVo image just in case.

Justin

Last edited by jhill1977 : 06-12-2011 at 05:52 AM. Reason: typos
Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #7692
jilter
Happy to be here.

Quote:
Thanks for the warning.
You mean on the PC I will be using to do the upgrade to the Tivo?
How can I find out what brand MB I have?

/Novice Crossing
Old 06-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #7693
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhill1977 View Post
Well after a bit more digging, I found the thread about using JMFS with the TiVo HD. That being said, once, I'm done with the copy/expand/supersize process, is it possible to make a truncated copy of my new 2TB TiVo HD drive with WinMFS to have as a backup? Regardless, it WOULD be nice to have a copy of the "Broflovski" 2TB TiVo image just in case.

Justin
Sounds like you found it, but here are the instructions for upgrading a TiVo HD to 2TB's of recording goodness...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

You won't be able to create a truncated backup of your original image like we used to with winMFS. You already have your original drive however so just put it on the shelf for a perfect backup. You can use it to image another new drive if/when the time comes and you can always slip it back in and be back up and running in a few minutes if a new drive fails.

The jmfs program is much more elegant and easier to use than the old "Brovlofski" method and again, you have your original drive so I'm not sure why you'd want a copy.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #7694
richsadams

Quote:

/Novice Crossing
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/236

AFAIK the GigaByte MB Unitron mentions is not commonly used in, well, commonly used PC's (Dell, Asus, etc.) so I believe the odds are you don't have it. The issue has only popped up a few times over the years.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #7695
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the warning.
You mean on the PC I will be using to do the upgrade to the Tivo?

/Novice Crossing
As richsadams (all hail the drive guru) points out, if you've got a "name brand" computer, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you're hooking up drives via USB adapters, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you've got a computer you put together yourself, or the equivalent from a local shop, then it might have a GigaByte brand motherboard, in which case it'll say GigaByte on the board in letters for which you won't need a magnifying glass.

If you're opening the case and hooking drives straight to the SATA ports or IDE/PATA ribbon cables, you'll be able to see the motherboard.

My X-ray vision and ESP aren't good enough to tell from your initial post with what hardware you, or others reading this thread in the future, are going to do your (or their) TiVo wrangling, but my extensive knowledge of, and experience with, Murphy's law assures me that he was indeed an optimist, and that forewarned is forearmed, and one should learn from the mistakes of others whenever possible, if for no other reason than to increase the amount of time availible to make new and different mistakes of one's own, from which one can learn even more.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #7696
A J Ricaud

Quote:
How can I find out what brand MB I have?/Novice Crossing
If you don't have it already, Belarc Advisor is a free utility that will tell you your motherboard maker and a whole lot of other info about your PC's innards:
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #7697
VinceA

Is there an InstantCake-like solution for people that have PCs without IDE hardware? I haven't had a need for it in a while but I'd like to be prepared if I do. The last time I used IC I had a PC with both IDE & SATA but now I'm using a SATA-only PC.
VinceA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #7698
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceA View Post
Is there an InstantCake-like solution for people that have PCs without IDE hardware? I haven't had a need for it in a while but I'd like to be prepared if I do. The last time I used IC I had a PC with both IDE & SATA but now I'm using a SATA-only PC.
Don't know for sure, but I would think there is a good chance that the IDE to SATA adapters would work. You just snap it onto the business end of the IDE drive and voila, it's now ready to plug into an SATA motherboard.

Might be an exploration of just which adapters may work, but one of them may work.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #7699
ps56k

I see several drives listed for the internal upgrade,
so what's the current pick for a 1TB drive for a THD - quiet seek & works ?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=370784#drives
ps56k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #7700
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps56k View Post
I see several drives listed for the internal upgrade,
so what's the current pick for a 1TB drive for a THD - quiet seek & works ?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=370784#drives
WD Green drives; range from 1TB-2TB

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #7701
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceA View Post
Isn't the Instant Cake problem that the script that runs it is written to use /hdx and doesn't allow for /sdx?

Most any drive upgrade you do nowadays, you're going to want to use a SATA drive and, on S1s and S2s, an appropriate adapter (read the adapter thread), so doing the work on a SATA only computer won't necessarily be the sticking point.

You really shouldn't put yourself in the postition of having to rely on buying and using IC.

I'm not saying don't buy it, I'm saying don't be forced to.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #7702
benraymond

Quote:
Alright, so my current only working desktop that I built has a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 in it.

Is this going to be a problem with the Gigabyte HPA issue? How do I avoid it? Turn it off in Bios? Boot from the linux version of MFS?

Thanks

Ben
In my 20 minutes of perusing the Manual, I think I'm OK - I'm assuming that HPA is also Backup BIOS Image to HDD?

Backup BIOS Image to HDD the system to copy the BIOS image file to the hard drive. If the system BIOS is corrupted, it will be recovered from this image file. (Default: Disabled)

Last edited by benraymond : 06-19-2011 at 09:58 PM.
benraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #7703
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by benraymond View Post
Alright, so my current only working desktop that I built has a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 in it.

Is this going to be a problem with the Gigabyte HPA issue? How do I avoid it? Turn it off in Bios? Boot from the linux version of MFS?

Thanks

Ben
In my 20 minutes of perusing the Manual, I think I'm OK - I'm assuming that HPA is also Backup BIOS Image to HDD?

Backup BIOS Image to HDD the system to copy the BIOS image file to the hard drive. If the system BIOS is corrupted, it will be recovered from this image file. (Default: Disabled)
There is no separate GigaByte HPA thread yet, but start reading here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...85#post8565385

and go forward to learn a bit more about the issue.

Short version, some GB boards apparently create a Host Protected Area, supposedly at the end of a hard drive, and back up the BIOS to it on every boot. This is in addition to, and not necessarily in any connection with, the special super-duper double secret hidden partition at the end of the drive created by XpressRecovery2.

XpressRecovery2 supposedly goes looking for space on what it thinks will be the computer's boot drive, so it starts with the Master drive on the Primary IDE (PATA) controller, goes through all the PATA drives, and then starts looking at the SATA drives.

The BIOS backup HPA function may, and probably does, follow the same rules/logic, but GigaByte ain't sayin'.

Some GB board BIOS'es seem to have an enable/disable option for the BIOS backup function, and some (like my 2 GB boards) make no mention of it whatsoever, but still create the HPA.

It may be that the enable/disable option doesn't prevent the creation of the HPA but only controls whether anything is written to it.

I suspect that the loss of a little bit of space at the end of the drive would not, in and of itself, be a problem for a TiVo (other than screwing up a "dd" of one drive to another of the same size), but when it creates the HPA it has to make some sort of a record of its existance somewhere on the drive (I think), and I suspect that it may be in a form that doesn't screw up DOS/Windows type partition tables, but is incompatible with the Apple_Partition_Map scheme used by TiVos, and heaven only knows what happens when it does it to a drive that then gets a byte-swapped Series 1 partition map.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:10 AM   #7704
benraymond

Thanks for the info, Unitron.

I hope that my board, with the "Backup BIOS to HD" off (by Default), will not have this problem. I will just have to see.

Thanks

Ben
benraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #7705
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by benraymond View Post
Thanks for the info, Unitron.

I hope that my board, with the "Backup BIOS to HD" off (by Default), will not have this problem. I will just have to see.

Thanks

Ben
Experiment and report back.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #7706
adamwsh

In case anyone is looking for info on copying a TivoHD aftermarket 1TB drive to a new WD10EARS 1TB drive, you can find my experience here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...85#post8579385
Two Tivo Series2s (One Lifetime, One Monthly)
----------

adamwsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #7707
adamwsh

Question

I just noticed that the instructions at the top of this thread tell you to do two different things to correct the Idle issue with WD green drives.

In the "V. Internal Drive Upgrades" section, it says to "run "wdidle3 /D" to disable IntelliPark"

In the "IV. Unsupported External Drives (also known as "Non-Verified" drives)" sections it says to "run "wdidle3 /S300"."

Why would it be different depending on it being internal or external?
Two Tivo Series2s (One Lifetime, One Monthly)
----------

adamwsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #7708
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwsh View Post
I just noticed that the instructions at the top of this thread tell you to do two different things to correct the Idle issue with WD green drives.

In the "V. Internal Drive Upgrades" section, it says to "run "wdidle3 /D" to disable IntelliPark"

In the "IV. Unsupported External Drives (also known as "Non-Verified" drives)" sections it says to "run "wdidle3 /S300"."

Why would it be different depending on it being internal or external?
Isn't the external always on, unless you pull the plug?

In other words, during a soft boot, it just keeps spinning and waiting for instructions, so you just need to postpone intellipark long enough for the TiVo to reboot.

That's the best theory I can come up with at the moment, based on never having used an external on a TiVo and never having needed to adjust anything on a Caviar Green since I only use them so far in computers running Tivo Desktop.

Maybe richsadams will show up and enlighten us.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #7709
empire2k

Intellipark Still An Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Ugh. Well, it appears that whatever happened between last September and more recently, things may be back to square one with respect to having to run wdidle3.exe to extend the timeout or disable the Intellipark feature on Western Digital GP and possibly AV/GP hard drives (of all sizes and manufacture dates) to avoid an initial boot or soft reboot problem.

FWIW I have reached out to bkdtv with regard to updating this thread's FAQ (first post), but haven't received a response to date. I'll try once more and if that doesn't work I'll contact one of the moderators for suggestions.
I'm posting my upgrade experience, just to reinforce that it would be fantastic if the FAQ (first post) could get updated...

I purchased a 1 TB Western Digital 10EURS Green drive, manufactured Jan 24 2011, to replace an ailing 750 GB Seagate that had provided 4.5 years of faithful service in my Series 3 TCD648250B. As I only own Macs, one of which can run WinXP using Bootcamp, I followed the directions for WinMFS to create a truncated backup and then restore that backup to my new drive - no problem.

However, when I put the new drive in my S3, it booted once and then would not boot again. It always hung at the "Welcome" screen. After finding a few posts mentioning that WDIDLE3 might be the answer I was able to borrow a PC from work that had SATA on the motherboard to update my WD 10EURS. After making the adjustment I haven't had a problem with either hard or soft reboots.

So, at this point, unless you have access to the correct PC hardware to run WDIDLE3 (SATA on the motherboard) it would probably be safest to avoid the WD Green drives again.

Thanks to all on this forum for maintaining such a great knowledge base!
empire2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #7710
istrategist

Upgrade experience and data point

Bought a 1 T WD EARS from Amazon last week and got one manufactured Sep 27 2010. A big thank you to everyone who contributed to the sticky and made the upgrade easy. Only glitch was that when I reset it froze on the welcome screen, so I had to wdidle it - however, it showed some random characters when I booted from the CD, so I created a bootable USB (following steps from a google search result: CANNOT POST MY LINK BECAUSE OF LOW POST COUNT) except the last part where I used the WDIDLE3 from the iso on this site.

It seems to work, however it is showing me only 142 hours instead of 157. Remember reading somewhere that it may be that way until a software upgrade.

Again, really appreciate the step by step detailed FAQ and guidance...
istrategist is offline   Reply With Quote