TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2011, 01:36 AM   #7651
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
FWIW when I and IIRC some others reported divorcing our external drives (which were added with the KS62 hack) there were indeed some recordings left that were made after the external drive was attached. (I think things have changed since then because I never hear of that happening now.)

It was apparent back then that not every recording was striped across both drives...but most were. So it's quite possible that some of your recordings made after the eSATA drive was added were intact after divorcing the drive.
Yeah, but there would have been no way to know this without trying it and risking the loss of the data. I would not have wanted to lose these recordings. If I did employ a divorce, then either I knew they were recorded prior to the marriage, or else I tested the divorce using copied drive images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
To that point I'm almost certain you must have divorced the drive before upgrading. There are several reports of folks that didn't and they ended up basically bricking their internal drive and had to go with an IC image to get back to square one.
Oh, I would never start a drive upgrade without first copying the entire structure to a backup system. Doing so has saved my bacon many times.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:41 AM   #7652
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
No, it's not.

If it were a post-Series 1 layout the partition at base 64 would be one of the media partitions.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #7653
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If it were a post-Series 1 layout the partition at base 64 would be one of the media partitions.
That came straight from my S3 TiVo.

Edit:
Let me expand that. It came directly from the S3 hard drive that was upgraded by whatever tools I used to migrate from the two-disk system to a one-disk system. I'm pretty sure it was MFS_tools. I took a look at the original 250G hard drive that came with the TiVo, and indeed it does start partition 13 (MFS media region 2) at 64 sectors. The TiVo doesn't care, though, since once the kernel is loaded, all operations reference the partition map, not the absolute sector.

Last edited by lrhorer : 05-30-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #7654
MCSSOLUTIONS

Hi Kit -

Do you work as a security officer?

-Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_C View Post
My upgrade to a WD15EVDS (see original post below) failed, and I'm starting to think my Tivo has other issues.

After deactivating IntelliPark and restoring an image from the original 320GB drive, I was able to get the Tivo to boot and show the expected storage. But after moving the unit into my entertainment center, I got hung up on the "Welcome. Powering UP" screen. I tried installing my original 320GB drive (which was working last week), and it too is getting hung up at the welcome screen.

Is it possible for the power supply to fail in a way that I get video out, but the power to the drive is interrupted? If that's the case, I think I may have intermittent or sagging power.

Kit

1-Tivo S2/80
MCSSOLUTIONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #7655
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
That came straight from my S3 TiVo.

Edit:
Let me expand that. It came directly from the S3 hard drive that was upgraded by whatever tools I used to migrate from the two-disk system to a one-disk system. I'm pretty sure it was MFS_tools. I took a look at the original 250G hard drive that came with the TiVo, and indeed it does start partition 13 (MFS media region 2) at 64 sectors. The TiVo doesn't care, though, since once the kernel is loaded, all operations reference the partition map, not the absolute sector.
If you used MFS_tools, and not MFS Live, then I guess the command would have been mfsrestore? (It's been a few years since I used it). Perhaps it doesn't have, or you didn't use, the -p option, so it defaulted to the S1 layout.

(I replaced the original 80GB drive in an S2 DT with a 500, using MFS Live, but forgot the -p option. It worked, but I could never make a truncated backup from the 500.)

Old 05-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #7656
lrhorer

Quote:
If you used MFS_tools, and not MFS Live, then I guess the command would have been mfsrestore?
Probably. It could have been WinMFS. I'm pretty certain it wasn't MFS Live.

Quote:
(It's been a few years since I used it). Perhaps it doesn't have, or you didn't use, the -p option, so it defaulted to the S1 layout.
Yeah, me, too. There's no way I can recall that far back exactly what I did. It's far too many months and too many upgrades ago. Most recently I upgraded all three TiVos to allow insitu scripted upgrades. It wasn't difficult, but it was a bit tedious. AFAIK, none of the packaged tools allow for the necessary flexibility managing the partitions, so I had to edit the partition table manually and copy the data over by hand. The really tedious part, however, was making six semi-unique copies of everything in the Hack partitions, though. Every time I made a change, I had to copy it over - sometimes with modifications - to five other locations on 3 different boxes.

Last edited by lrhorer : 05-30-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #7657
Kit_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSSOLUTIONS View Post
Hi Kit -

Do you work as a security officer?

-Chris.
No, I'm an Engineer. Why do you ask?
Kit_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #7658
bgc

Imaging brand new tivo hdd?

Is there any reason not to use WinMFS or MFSlive on the hdd of a brand new, never connected Tivo? Its and S2DT off ebay that is claimed to be new. Wondering if I should connect it to Tivo first before imaging?

I will use the image from the new one to add a new 1TB drive to my existing S2DT that has a failing hdd. I don't want to add the new one to my account because I have a discounted monthly rate that they would jack up if I put the new one on my acct.

Thanks,
BGC
bgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #7659
crrazychicken

I've made it well past the 1.2TB with recordings and deleted items with no issues, I do have a newish PC with dual external drive docks that I hot plugged the drives in after windows booted, my TIVO is so much nicer with more than 160G of capacity. It's not full but probably at 1.6TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Welcome to the forum. IIRC someone else tried it and it did end up flaking out...not just hitting the recording hours limit but becoming very buggy and ultimately stopped working completely. That was when 2TB drives were first introduced though...so I've no idea what might happen with newer TiVo OS versions, and current drive firmware, etc.

So if things do go south...as long as you have your original TiVo hard drive...you can follow the directions for upgrading your TiVo HD to 2TB with jmfs and you should be good to go:

Please let us know how things go with this effort though!

crrazychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #7660
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc View Post
Is there any reason not to use WinMFS or MFSlive on the hdd of a brand new, never connected Tivo? Its and S2DT off ebay that is claimed to be new. Wondering if I should connect it to Tivo first before imaging?

I will use the image from the new one to add a new 1TB drive to my existing S2DT that has a failing hdd. I don't want to add the new one to my account because I have a discounted monthly rate that they would jack up if I put the new one on my acct.

Thanks,
BGC
If you haven't bought that TiVo off of eBay yet, you might want to plug

site:craigslist.org tivo

into Google and click on search tools on the left and choose past week, sort by date and see where some people are giving them away and others selling for $10 to $30, especially if you're just buying it to get a virgin image hard drive.

If it's not in your own community email them and ask if they'll take PayPal, including about $20 to mail it to you.

I think I understand you to mean that you aren't actually going to put the new one into service.

If it's one that's never been plugged in, take the drive out, hook to computer, do backup command to get image file (probably can do full backup rather than truncated, since no recordings yet), restore without expanding to new 1TB drive, test 1TB drive in currently subscribed S2 DT, it should come up wanting to go into guided setup. Do guided setup, make sure it works okay, then remove from subscribed TiVo, hook up to computer and do backup of what is now drive already set up for your Zip Code and cable company. Use backup just made to restore to same drive, overwriting it with newly made backup. Test in TiVo to make sure backup file is good (if not, restore from original backup and go through guided setup again), then remove, hook to computer, expand, and put back in Tivo.

Take drive from recently purchased TiVo, which has been read from but not written to, and store safely. Take recently purchased TiVo and store safely in case you ever need to scavenge power supply, or, if you're really unlucky, in case of motherboard failure you have to transplant subscribed motherboard's crypto chip to other motherboard.

If you subscribed the new one it shouldn't increase the monthly on the old one, but of course you'd have an additional monthly (although probably at Multi-Set Discount) on the newly subscribed one. You'd also have 4 tuners instead of 2, and can have TiVo in 2 rooms instead of one, and can copy shows from one to the other, or from both to computer with TiVo Desktop (which gives you a backup if the TiVo dies) and from computer to either.

Remember that backups made with WinMFS have to be restored with WinMFS, and MFS Live backups have to be restored with MFS Live.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #7661
bgc

Quote:
If it's one that's never been plugged in, take the drive out, hook to computer, do backup command to get image file (probably can do full backup rather than truncated, since no recordings yet), restore without expanding to new 1TB drive, test 1TB drive in currently subscribed S2 DT, it should come up wanting to go into guided setup. Do guided setup, make sure it works okay, then remove from subscribed TiVo, hook up to computer and do backup of what is now drive already set up for your Zip Code and cable company. Use backup just made to restore to same drive, overwriting it with newly made backup. Test in TiVo to make sure backup file is good (if not, restore from original backup and go through guided setup again), then remove, hook to computer, expand, and put back in Tivo.
The answer to a question I posted in the Help forum suggests that I can connect the new unit, do guided setup and it will have 6 days of service. I assume it will download the latest software as well. Doing this seems easier than having to move the drive from tivo to pc and back more than once.

Since I will be imaging the new tivo drive to put in the old one, I will have to do a clear and delete correct? Does the C&D require running guided setup again?

Why do you suggest to restore without expanding, test, put back in pc expand?

Thanks,
BGC
Old 06-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #7662
dwit

bgc said:
Quote:
Since I will be imaging the new tivo drive to put in the old one, I will have to do a clear and delete correct? Does the C&D require running guided setup again?
Yes, you will wave to cde, and yes, you will have to do guided setup, again.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #7663
bgc

Quote:
Yes, you will wave to cde, and yes, you will have to do guided setup, again.
So, what happens if I image a virgin drive (never connected unit) and put it in the old tivo? The first thing a new one wants to do is guided setup so you would have to do guided setup then C&D, then guided setup again?

BGC
Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #7664
thomb

Quote:
That number is the number on the box.

You may find the same drive in a box with a different number.

For example I have 3 (on sale the day after Thanksgiving Caviar Black) WD1001FALS drives I got from Best Buy.

The two that came from the local store say

WD10000LSRTL

on the sticker on the bottom of the box.

The third, which bestbuy.com shipped to me, says

WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN

on the sticker on the bottom of the box

but it's the same drive inside.

WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN

googles up a bunch of listings, including one at Newegg, and the big version of the pictures shows the drive itself with

WD10EADS

on the label.

Oddly enough the Newegg page for the OEM/bare drive WD10EADS doesn't show any pictures of the label on the drive, just the insides of it, and they want $5 more than they're asking for the retail box version.
Yesterday at Best Buy I bought the WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN which comes in a shiny new box that says 1TB. However when I opened the box there was a 1.5TB EARS and a small piece of paper from Western Digital that says "You have just received 500 extra gigabytes of disk space at no extra cost!". The note is dated March 2011. I'm guessing they had over produced the 1.5's? Short story: I took it home to replace my failed 1TB and now have 237 HD hours of space available in my TivoHD .

Long version: Unfortunately I was to lazy to make a backup of the old drive while it was healthy (before it got sick). I tried while it was on it's death bed, but I waited too long and the backup wouldn't work in the new drive. So I had to break out my 3 year old original drive, copy it with winMFS, rerun guided setup, and download the update (original drive was on 9.xxx). Most Tivo users could have stopped here, but I had to redo my hacks to bypass CCI (thank you Frontier - which added another 30 minutes). Oh yes, then make a backup....

Ultimately I was smart enough to have my original drive, but not having a recent backup cost me 157 hours of recorded shows, all my season passes & wishlists, channel setup, and about 3 hours of extra time downloading, and restoring the new drive. Lesson learned. Now to get all the season passes set up again...
thomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #7665
WestTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu View Post
Sadly, my Vantec eSATA enclosure that housed the drive for this tweak/MFS imaging was recognized (chipset issue?) at bootup/Bios/DOS drivers on the wdidle3 disk image on the 4th system on which I tried. And I tried AHCI on/off and various permutations. The system that worked was the oldest I had access to,t hat had an eSATA. Sigh.
So... the eSATA enclosure was recognized on the oldest computer? Or were you unable to use the enclosure for applying WDIDLE?

Does wdidle3.exe create an iso image? And you then boot from the bootable media to run the .exe? The instructions with the .zip file (and on the WD Support Page) are not clear to me.

Thanks,
Les
dead Tivo Series 2 w/Lifetime
WestTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #7666
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomb View Post
Yesterday at Best Buy I bought the WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN which comes in a shiny new box that says 1TB. However when I opened the box there was a 1.5TB EARS and a small piece of paper from Western Digital that says "You have just received 500 extra gigabytes of disk space at no extra cost!". The note is dated March 2011. I'm guessing they had over produced the 1.5's? Short story: I took it home to replace my failed 1TB and now have 237 HD hours of space available in my TivoHD .

Long version: Unfortunately I was to lazy to make a backup of the old drive while it was healthy (before it got sick). I tried while it was on it's death bed, but I waited too long and the backup wouldn't work in the new drive. So I had to break out my 3 year old original drive, copy it with winMFS, rerun guided setup, and download the update (original drive was on 9.xxx). Most Tivo users could have stopped here, but I had to redo my hacks to bypass CCI (thank you Frontier - which added another 30 minutes). Oh yes, then make a backup....

Ultimately I was smart enough to have my original drive, but not having a recent backup cost me 157 hours of recorded shows, all my season passes & wishlists, channel setup, and about 3 hours of extra time downloading, and restoring the new drive. Lesson learned. Now to get all the season passes set up again...
Was there anything on the sticker on that new WD about "advanced format"?

Old 06-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #7667
bgc

MFS Live backup to usb thumb drive?

Am I correct that the MFS Live boot cd requires backups to be written to FAT32 partitions?

All my drives are NTFS. I have an 8GB usb thumb drive that is FAT32, can I write the backup to that? If so, should the thumb drive be installed before I boot the cd or after? Also, if the thumb drive will work, is there any reason not to copy the file to an NTFS partition?

Thanks,
BGC
Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #7668
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc View Post
Am I correct that the MFS Live boot cd requires backups to be written to FAT32 partitions?

All my drives are NTFS. I have an 8GB usb thumb drive that is FAT32, can I write the backup to that? If so, should the thumb drive be installed before I boot the cd or after? Also, if the thumb drive will work, is there any reason not to copy the file to an NTFS partition?

Thanks,
BGC
It requires backups to be written to file systems that it understands and can work with. For instance, it could use an Ext2 partition instead of FAT32, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't do NT.

You can use a FAT32 USB stick, and should be able to boot with it already inserted or boot and then insert it.

If you boot with it already in, it'll go through the usual procedures and get to the command prompt, and then it'll notice the USB drive (at least that's what happens with my setup), and spit out a few lines about it, at which point you'll need to hit Enter to get another command prompt.

If you boot and then insert, same thing, you'll have to let it write those several lines on the screen and then hit Enter to get back to the command prompt.

Then, of course, you'll need to mount the partition on the USB drive before reading from or writing to it.

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /dos

I think will do it, I'm pretty sure it creates /dos as it boots.

vfat means virtual file allocation table and should work for FAT12, FAT16, and FAT32.

You can do

ls -l /dos

to make sure it's mounted. Those are lowercase "L"s.

After you're done, unmount it and then "eject" it before removing.

umount /dos * (the command ends with /dos, not the *, see the bottom of this post)

eject /dev/sda

If you've got other SATA drives or devices connected it might detect the USB as sdb or sdc or sdd or whatever, so watch for that and adjust the instructions accordingly.

An XP or newer machine should be able to read and write from FAT32 USB to NT partition and back all day long.

* (that's umount, not unmount)

Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #7669
thomb

Quote:
Was there anything on the sticker on that new WD about "advanced format"?
Yes, on the drive there is a line directly under the s/n that says something to the effect of "Advanced format drive. To activate...." it then proceeds to list what to do for each OS.

Does it matter? It's been ok so far the last 3 days.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #7670
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomb View Post
Yes, on the drive there is a line directly under the s/n that says something to the effect of "Advanced format drive. To activate...." it then proceeds to list what to do for each OS.

Does it matter? It's been ok so far the last 3 days.
Others have expressed the opinion that it doesn't matter to the TiVo.

I don't know enough to say one way or the other.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what Western Digital is up to, and with which models, and which model families (like the EARS or the EACS or the EADS) they're up to it.

Going to the WD website for detailed info about particular drives, especially if those drives are inside a box with a different model number on the box, is an exercise in futility.

My concern is which big drives will work with XP, as I'm already maxed out TiVo interior drive wise.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #7671
thomb

Quote:
Others have expressed the opinion that it doesn't matter to the TiVo.

I don't know enough to say one way or the other.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what Western Digital is up to, and with which models, and which model families (like the EARS or the EACS or the EADS) they're up to it.

Going to the WD website for detailed info about particular drives, especially if those drives are inside a box with a different model number on the box, is an exercise in futility.

My concern is which big drives will work with XP, as I'm already maxed out TiVo interior drive wise.
Not sure if it makes a difference, but as another data point the drive was manufactured Jan 2011 and I ran WDIDLE3 on it prior to my backup attempt.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #7672
JavaJoe_2

Is the "Power Management/Advanced Power Management" in HDDScan the same as "Wdidle3" ??
JavaJoe_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #7673
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJoe_2 View Post
Is the "Power Management/Advanced Power Management" in HDDScan the same as "Wdidle3" ??
From what I have gathered here, only the Wdidle3 utility can adjust the idle timing of the WD drives.

There are several utilities that frequently seem to be mentioned for adjusting the performance characteristics of some drives, but in the case of the WD idle timing, again, I think only Wdidle3 utility can make that particular modification.

If you need to know how to use it, there is a helpful you tube video on "Tivo Premiere Hard Drive Upgrade" by Gary Davis(I believe I have the name right), where he uses it in the process.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #7674
TheLongshot

Just to let people know, the 1TB EARS is the shellshocker at NewEgg this morning at $49.99. Probably good until 1PM ET.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellS...m-_-singleitem
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #7675
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Just to let people know, the 1TB EARS is the shellshocker at NewEgg this morning at $49.99. Probably good until 1PM ET.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellS...m-_-singleitem
Just bear in mind that if getting one to stick in a computer, the EARS might be the "advanced format" kind.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #7676
adamwsh

Exclamation

Hey gang.

I was told the list of drives at the top of this thread is quite out of date.

Can anyone spare me reading through 200+ pages in this thread to figure out what drive I should shop for to replace my failing drive in my TivoHD?

I currently have a 1TB in there that is making a clicking noise, so I'm guessing I need to hurry and get a new drive, copy and install.

I'd like to find it locally, so I don't have to wait for mail order.

I have Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot & Walmart near by.

Any quick advise (or URLs) you can give me to find a replacement drive quickly would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Two Tivo Series2s (One Lifetime, One Monthly)
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adamwsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #7677
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwsh View Post
Hey gang.

Can anyone spare me reading through 200+ pages in this thread to figure out what drive I should shop for to replace my failing drive in my TivoHD?

I currently have a 1TB in there that is making a clicking noise, so I'm guessing I need to hurry and get a new drive, copy and install.

Any quick advise (or URLs) you can give me to find a replacement drive quickly would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
These are probably the two most popular...

Western Digital WD10EVDS

Western Digital WD10EARS

Besides those two drives a couple of folks are having success with this one:

Hitachi Deskstar 3.5-Inch 1 TB Cool Spin

Happy saving!

Last edited by richsadams : 06-07-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Add link
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #7678
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwsh View Post
Hey gang.

Thanks!
I don't think Wal-Mart sells any internal drives in store, just external ones, but it's been a while since I looked.

Looking at the online offerings, Best Buy seems to have better prices than Staples or Office Depot, which reflects my experience with the local retail locations of BB and Staples. We don't have an OD, just an OfficeMax, and they're pricey.

Are you, like me, in a small enough place not to have a Fry's or CompUSA or something like that in town?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #7679
vesprem1

Newbie/lurker with successful upgrade

Hi all,

I replaced a dying 160GB original Tivo HD (TCD652160) drive last week. Would constantly cycle from "Warming Up" to "ATJAFMM" and occasionally the video intro then back to "Warming Up" again.

Purchased a WD Caviar Green 1TB drive from Best Buy ($74.99 on sale.) Did the wdidle3 fix first then used WinMFS to copy settings (including Comcast CableCard) and all programs over. Went off without a hitch. Thanks everybody.

WD10EADS was the drive model, WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN on the box. Some said it would be noisy but I didn't notice a significant increase in noise unless I was hovering right over it, and even then only slightly. Quality is great: looks as good as the original.

Good luck upgraders.
vesprem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #7680
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesprem1 View Post
Hi all,

I replaced a dying 160GB original Tivo HD (TCD652160) drive last week. Would constantly cycle from "Warming Up" to "ATJAFMM" and occasionally the video intro then back to "Warming Up" again.

Purchased a WD Caviar Green 1TB drive from Best Buy ($74.99 on sale.) Did the wdidle3 fix first then used WinMFS to copy settings (including Comcast CableCard) and all programs over. Went off without a hitch. Thanks everybody.

WD10EADS was the drive model, WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN on the box. Some said it would be noisy but I didn't notice a significant increase in noise unless I was hovering right over it, and even then only slightly. Quality is great: looks as good as the original.

Good luck upgraders.
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations and enjoy your "new" TiVo!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote