TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #7531
leiff

Do you know if at some later point if my stock 250 GB drive dies, will I be able to take this green drive from the external enclosure and put in inside Tivo? If so, do you know if this can be done without destroying the external enclosure?

Will I be able to add an internal 1 TB drive & a 1TB external drive for a total of 2 TB's to my original S3 Tivo?

Last edited by leiff : 05-09-2011 at 12:58 AM.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #7532
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
Do you know if at some later point if my stock 250 GB drive dies, will I be able to take this green drive from the external enclosure and put in inside Tivo? If so, do you know if this can be done without destroying the external enclosure?
I fear you are attempting to practice false economy.

Do a lot of reading on this site, especially this thread.

Pick out a good non-enclosed drive with which to replace your TiVo's internal drive.

Never plan on removing a drive from an external enclosure if it came from the manufacturer as a single retail unit, like say a WD Elements.

I'm not saying you'll never be faced with having to do so, I'm saying never plan on being able to do so successfully. You never know what kind of tricks they might have gotten up to with regards to how the case is held together or what kind of electronics and adapters are involved that may or may not keep you from being able to use the drive or the enclosure separately.

If you want to use an external drive, don't attach it to the TiVo, attach it to a computer running the free version of Tivo Desktop, and do your long-term show storage that way. If the Tivo crashes, the shows are still available for any TiVo on your account (Series 2 or newer, if you choose the slower way of copying them), and if the computer crashes you can move the enclosure to another computer running TDP.

If the enclosure crashes, that's when you undertake removal of the drive inside, but with no guarantees.

An external connected to the Tivo takes out shows on itself and the internal drive if it goes bad, and a temporarily flakey connection is enough to make the Tivo think that it's gone bad.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:35 AM   #7533
richsadams

Quote:

Will I be able to add an internal 1 TB drive & a 1TB external drive for a total of 2 TB's to my original S3 Tivo?
All of what Unitron said...plus...

Understand that if your internal TiVo drive fails you will lose all of your recordings. End of story. You said that didn't concern you earlier so that's fine. The real downside is that you will lose the ability to use your original TiVo hard drive to replace and/or upgrade another drive, no matter where you get the other drive. You'd have to use Instant Cake ($40) to image a new drive plus get your cable cards set back up by your cableco, etc.

Removing a hard drive like the one in the Fantom from the enclosure voids the warranty if that makes a difference.

I can understand that the process for using winMFS in the first post look a little intimidating initially but trust me, it really is dead simple if you follow the instructions. If after reading them you're still hesitant, it won't be any better later and you should just buy a TiVo verified drive and be done with it.

Buying a non-verified external drive now with the thought that you might use it later internally if/when your internal drive fails will end up costing you far more than simply buying one of the TiVo verified WD My DVR Expanders or the WD My Book A/V DVR Expanders now.

To answer your question about the 1TB internal plus 1TB external drives, no, that is not an option with a TiVo Series3. The maximum capacity allowed for the internal TiVo drive is 1.1 TB plus the size of the original drive. So for your Series3 the maximum is 1.35TB (1.1TB + 250GB).

So instead of trying to save a few dollars, you really need to think longer term. Either buy one of the TiVo certified expansion drives or upgrade the internal drive...now.

OR you can purchase a pre-imaged drive from a third party like Weaknees, DVRUpgrade or DVRDude often sells upgraded drives on eBay. Pop the old one out and slip the new one in. You'll still have to get your cable cards re-paired by your cableco, but that will save you from the rest of the DIY project. The downside is the cost of buying a pre-imaged drive from a third party can be double the DIY cost.

BTW, whatever you decide, you can make sure all of your Season Passes are saved by using TiVo's Season Pass Manager on their website.

Bottom line? Don't waste your time on anything else. I know that may not be what you want to hear, but that's the best advice you're going to get. Seriously consider upgrading the internal drive. Hundreds here have done it, many with little or no experience with such things and everything turned out fine.

Everything you need to know is in the first post. Read through it and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by richsadams : 05-09-2011 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Add links
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #7534
leiff

I have a WD 750 GB green drive I bought in 2008. I don't have access to the drive now, but is there a chance it will work as an interenal? I read say that most modern WD green drives won't work.
So you can save your season passes remotely online. That's cool. Is there a way to save thumb up/down info as well? If so then I would be tempted to buy a pre-imaged internal drive.
I must say I'm still tempted to buy a 1 TB external if anyone knows any good deals please post here.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #7535
dartagnan_007

Sorry Guys I have not been back on for an update but I have been busy wathcing my TiVO with the New 1TB drive in it.

When I got home Wednesday the TiVO was updated to the Latest software so I called my cable company and had them go throught the setup of setting up the cards again. I skipped the normal Techs and called the Cable Card Desk Directly. Everything went smooth and I have been watching TV without problems.

Rich,
I did not know about the Season Pass Manager on the Tivo Site. I instead just re-entered the season passes by hand which worked out good because I had a few shows that are no longer on that I got rid of. Since reading your post I was able to add back the ones that are not currently in the schedule by copying them from my other Tivo.
So everything worked out great and I am back up running.

Leiff,
Listen to these guys they know what they are talking about. My upgraded 750 GB drive started to die on me after 5 years and I was not able to make a copy of it. Luckily I still had my original 250 GB drive and was able to use it to make my copy. I would have hated to spend another $40 for Instant Cake when the Drive I bought was only $55 shipped. I would do what they say and put a bigger drive in and keep the original as a backup. My backup as been sitting in my desk drawer since 2006 and still worked like a charm.

Again guys thanks for all your help. This site has always been a great source of info from the Original Cable Card Issues to the first tuning adaptors to HD replacement.
dartagnan_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #7536
leiff

DVR dude on ebay and dvrstore.com is offering two different 2 TB pre-imaged drives for original S3. A WD20EARS for $150 and a WD20EVDS (WD AV-GP) for $200. He claims to use special tools to make these WD drives compatible with Tivo. Is this right? Is the AV-GP model worth the extra $50?
So to use a 2 TB drive in an original S3 the DIY option on this thread won't work?
How are peoples experience with 2 TB drives on S3 Tivo. I think I remember hearing they might be slugish.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #7537
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I can understand that the process for using winMFS in the first post look a little intimidating initially but trust me, it really is dead simple if you follow the instructions. If after reading them you're still hesitant, it won't be any better later and you should just buy a TiVo verified drive and be done with it.
That's dead-on. The advantages of upgrading the internal drive are significant, perhaps even overwhelming. The cost is very low. The time required is minimal. The level of technical expertise required is very low. If one can use a torx screwdriver and run a simple Windows program, it's a lock.

Quote:
Buying a non-verified external drive now with the thought that you might use it later internally if/when your internal drive fails will end up costing you far more than simply buying one of the TiVo verified WD My DVR Expanders or the WD My Book A/V DVR Expanders now.
Even if it doesn't, the advantages of upgrading the internal drive (and consequently shelving the old drive as a spare) far outweigh a few $ one way or the other in drive costs.

Quote:
So instead of trying to save a few dollars, you really need to think longer term. Either buy one of the TiVo certified expansion drives or upgrade the internal drive...now.
...Or both. No matter what, I strongly recommend the internal upgrade.

Quote:
OR you can purchase a pre-imaged drive from a third party like Weaknees, DVRUpgrade or DVRDude often sells upgraded drives on eBay. Pop the old one out and slip the new one in. You'll still have to get your cable cards re-paired by your cableco, but that will save you from the rest of the DIY project. The downside is the cost of buying a pre-imaged drive from a third party can be double the DIY cost.
Personally, I can't imagine going this route, but unfathomable as it is to me, there are people out there who are intimidated by computer equipment. All that said, it is certainly a viable option.

Quote:
Bottom line? Don't waste your time on anything else. I know that may not be what you want to hear, but that's the best advice you're going to get. Seriously consider upgrading the internal drive. Hundreds here have done it, many with little or no experience with such things and everything turned out fine.
It really is easy, and there is plenty of help available here if one really needs it. Whenever I do an intgernal upgrade, my biggest worry is I will drop the old hard drive when transferring it to the PC. That happend to me, once. Fortunately, I already had a backup.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #7538
lrhorer

Quote:
DVR dude on ebay and dvrstore.com is offering two different 2 TB pre-imaged drives for original S3. A WD20EARS for $150 and a WD20EVDS (WD AV-GP) for $200. He claims to use special tools to make these WD drives compatible with Tivo.
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. I don't think any drive larger than 1.1T will work with an S3 TiVo unless it has a PROM replacement. That is to say, the drive will work, but only 1.1T can be used for storage. The rest is wasted. Unless I am much mistaken, these drives are only for the THD, not the original S3.

Quote:
Is this right? Is the AV-GP model worth the extra $50?
So to use a 2 TB drive in an original S3 the DIY option on this thread won't work?
Unless I am mistaken, no 2T drive will work in an S3 unless you hack the S3.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #7539
leiff

I also see 2 TB drives on weeknees and dvrstore.com websites and they both offer this for S3 original.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #7540
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. I don't think any drive larger than 1.1T will work with an S3 TiVo unless it has a PROM replacement. That is to say, the drive will work, but only 1.1T can be used for storage. The rest is wasted. Unless I am much mistaken, these drives are only for the THD, not the original S3.

Unless I am mistaken, no 2T drive will work in an S3 unless you hack the S3.
Turns out Weaknees (not sure about DVRDude) is once again offering 2TB upgrades for TiVo Series3's (and other models). Earlier Weakness was selling 1TB internal plus 1TB external upgrades, but now they are offering a single 2TB internal upgrade.

The 2TB upgrade (1+1 configuration) was around for a while, then they disappeared...ostensibly because users were running into problems. However now there's a 2TB internal option for $299.

AFAIK no one here has run a diagnostic to see exactly what they are doing to overcome the 1.1TB limit. It's too early to tell if these upgrades will be any more stable than the previous offering or not, only time will tell. Perhaps our friend leiff will volunteer!

Me? Unless I couldn't live w/o 2TB of recording space on a Series3 I'd still opt for a winMFS DIY upgrade for $70 or so.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #7541
richsadams

Quote:
I also see 2 TB drives on weeknees and dvrstore.com websites and they both offer this for S3 original.
FWIW Weaknees and DVRUpgrade used to be independent online retailers but Weaknees bought DVRUpgrade and now they are the same company with two different "store fronts".
Old 05-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #7542
dlfl
Cranky old novice

DVR_DUDE sure seems to be selling 2 TB for the model 648:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TiVo-Series-3-TC...QQcmdZViewItem

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #7543
richsadams

Quote:
Is the AV-GP model worth the extra $50?
The EVDS model will be quieter.
Quote:
That is correct. There is no 2TB DIY option for the Series3 at this time.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #7544
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
DVR_DUDE sure seems to be selling 2 TB for the model 648:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TiVo-Series-3-TC...QQcmdZViewItem
$199 is certainly a better deal than $299...but then there's the warranty. Not sure who will be around for the next three years...DVRDude or Weaknees/DVRUpgrade. Both? Neither? Hmmm...
Old 05-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #7545
richsadams

Quote:
I have a WD 750 GB green drive I bought in 2008. I don't have access to the drive now, but is there a chance it will work as an interenal?
Yes. However if it's been in service for three years I'd still opt for a new/larger drive, but your call of course.
Quote:
I read say that most modern WD green drives won't work.
Not sure where you read that, but it's not true. There was a time that the WD GP drives had to be tweaked to avoid a reboot issue so that might have been confusing, but they have always worked well...and in fact are what TiVo uses for OEM drives.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #7546
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
$199 is certainly a better deal than $299...but then there's the warranty. Not sure who will be around for the next three years...DVRDude or Weaknees/DVRUpgrade. Both? Neither? Hmmm...
I hear ya' . Then there's the TiVo warranty.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #7547
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Woohoo!

Just got my $100 in rebates for the batch of WD Green drives I bought months ago when we first got our S4 TiVos.

Five different $20 Visa debit cards, in five different envelopes. What a waste of resources....
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #7548
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Five different $20 Visa debit cards, in five different envelopes. What a waste of resources....
I'd be glad to take some of that wastage off your hands
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #7549
TheLongshot

Well, after about three weeks of it working, the 1TB drive failed again, enough so that I switched out to the original drive. Hopefully, I'll be able to boot it up and get the rest off that was added the past 3 weeks. (which really isn't that much.)
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #7550
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Woohoo!

Just got my $100 in rebates for the batch of WD Green drives I bought months ago when we first got our S4 TiVos.

Ooooo...thanks for reminding me! I've got one of those cards in my wallet...almost forgot it was there. Twenty bucks is twenty bucks!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #7551
alershka

I just ordered a pair of WD 10EARS drives to upgrade my two Tivo HD units. I popped them into my PC, booted the WDIDLE3 disc and got both of them upgraded. I then booted into Win7 x86 and loaded up HDDScan 3.3 but I am having a problem. All of my drives are seen but I can't take any action on the drives. The SMART, Temperature Monitor, Features and Identity Info are all grey'd out. I am running as an admin and have also selected run as an administrator to load the program but it just doesn't seem to be doing anything.

So the question is: How noisy are these drives going to be and is there a work around? I haven't moved any Tivo data yet, they are out of the box and the only thing I've done is the Intellipark fix.

Thanks.
2x Tivo Series 2 (retired)
Tivo Series 1 (retired)
alershka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #7552
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alershka View Post
I just ordered a pair of WD 10EARS drives to upgrade my two Tivo HD units. I popped them into my PC, booted the WDIDLE3 disc and got both of them upgraded. I then booted into Win7 x86 and loaded up HDDScan 3.3 but I am having a problem. All of my drives are seen but I can't take any action on the drives. The SMART, Temperature Monitor, Features and Identity Info are all grey'd out. I am running as an admin and have also selected run as an administrator to load the program but it just doesn't seem to be doing anything.

So the question is: How noisy are these drives going to be and is there a work around? I haven't moved any Tivo data yet, they are out of the box and the only thing I've done is the Intellipark fix.

Thanks.
You might download and try the Hitachi feature tool to make the adjustment. I think it works on any drive(that can be adjusted). Been years since I used it though.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #7553
alershka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
You might download and try the Hitachi feature tool to make the adjustment. I think it works on any drive(that can be adjusted). Been years since I used it though.
Thanks for the info. I will see if I can get the Hitachi program to work later. For now, I left things as is. The drives seem quiet as is.

I haven't done a drive upgrade since my series 1. Everything went real smooth and was easier than I remember from the old days.
2x Tivo Series 2 (retired)
Tivo Series 1 (retired)
alershka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #7554
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alershka View Post

So the question is: How noisy are these drives going to be and is there a work around? I haven't moved any Tivo data yet, they are out of the box and the only thing I've done is the Intellipark fix.Thanks.
Any chance you can see the current AAM value w/HDDScan... I ask because my WD20EARS was preset to the "quiet" level and I didn't need to make changes. You can also do set AAM with WinAAM or HDParm.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #7555
JoeTaxpayer

Ok. I'm ready to update the drive in my THX series 3.
I have Instant Cake for this model. Looking at the ongoing dialog, I see that it will recognize about 1.1TB, so a 1.5TB drive won't be much more than 1.0.

Question - any benefit to a higher performance drive? A 7200 vs 5400. Tiger has WD10EARS vs about $100 for 1TB "Black".

BTW - the Tivo image is freezing every so often. A 30 sec rewind usually fixes it. Gotten bad over last month or two. With the drive being the only moving part, I trust swapping it out will help this issue?
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #7556
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

No Benefit to High Performance Drive

There is absolutely no benefit to a high performance or large buffer drive in this application (but no harm either).

In my opinion, you should buy the absolute cheapest WD "Green" drive you can find in the size you want - no matter what other features. In this case, "Green" is good; because, there IS a benefit from reduced power consumption, reduced heat, and reduced noise.

Last edited by V7Goose : 05-11-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: more comments on Green drives
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #7557
JoeTaxpayer

Much thanks. The difference between 1.0 and 1.5TB was $5, so I grabbed the green 1.5, from http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160 it appears the series 3 will actually see 1.35TB of that space, so it was worth it. $65 free shipping.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:23 AM   #7558
leiff

Western Digital 1.5 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD15EARS for $65 at Amazon is a good choice then? Anyone know if these are reliable or how many platters it has?

I also have original S3 Tivo and am interested in this drive.

Last edited by leiff : 05-12-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #7559
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Western Digital 1.5 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD15EARS for $65 at Amazon is a good choice then? Anyone know if these are reliable or how many platters it has?

I also have original S3 Tivo and am interested in this drive.
That's a fine unit. You can get platter info at the WD site.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #7560
leiff

Then I'll expect to see 1,350 GB from the 1,500 GB drive on my TiVo Series3 (TCD648250B),
Nice!