TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #7501
bgc

I got a WD10EARS for my S2DT. Can I prepare the drive by hooking it up to an SATA port on my PC and when finished hook up the IDE to SATA adapter when I install it?

Or do I have to use the adapter while I am preparing the drive?

I haven't made a final decision but I'm leaning toward using WinMFS to prep the drive.

Thanks,
BGC
bgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #7502
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
It wasn't worth the effort (my effort) to dig them up (but I do know they are out there, somewhere). So, to keep you happy, I edited the post with regards to that specific point.

I know you have the specifics on the mfg dates (one of your pet projects). Why didn't you just post that data as an adjunct?

I really didn't care for how people were taking that data and using it as an excuse to return non-defective drives, rather than just change the setting. This sentiment didn't factor into my prior post. But, I did recall it just now.
Okay...but IIRC there aren't any reports about Intellipark problems on Western Digital GP drives manufactured after September 15th (the specific date seems to be September 13th, but the 15th is easier to remember) on the TCF...that would have been a big red flag. It's possible I missed one though. It would be important to find out more if that's the case however...misinformation isn't a good thing and if there are any cases I wouldn't want to steer anyone wrong.

I don't doubt a couple of folks may have returned drives that were manufactured prior to that to avoid running wdidle3.exe, but I don't think it was very prevalent. Most just ran the program for the year or so that there was an issue.

Fortunately I don't recall seeing anyone actually post about the issue for a couple of months now; just a few asking about it after reading the FAQ.

I'll to reach out to bkdtv to see if he agrees that it's time to update the FAQ now.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #7503
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by msehnert View Post
Thanks for the response. If the HD model number is the key requirement, then how is it possible to convert a regular drive into an Tivo extender drive by installing it into the TIVO and converting it.

I have seen methods for doing this on the net. I just don't want to void my Premiere XL extended warranties by opening the case. It is just annoying to pay a 50% or more premium for a extender drive.
If you mean is it possible to use a non-TiVo verified drive as an expansion drive, the answer is yes if you do it using a program called winMFS. A new external drive can be married to the internal drive at the time of an upgrade (which requires removing the internal drive from TiVo). Non-approved drives just don't work via plug and play. Details can be found in the FAQ (first post on this thread), specifically Section IV. (Note not all external drives will work).

So the bottom line is that if you don't want to open your TiVo the only option you have to add more recording space is to use the TiVo Verified Western Digital My DVR Expander or WD My Book A/V DVR Expander.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #7504
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc View Post
I got a WD10EARS for my S2DT. Can I prepare the drive by hooking it up to an SATA port on my PC and when finished hook up the IDE to SATA adapter when I install it?

Or do I have to use the adapter while I am preparing the drive?

I haven't made a final decision but I'm leaning toward using WinMFS to prep the drive.

Thanks,
BGC
The connection to your computer during the upgrade shouldn't have any effect on the upgrade itself.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #7505
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Okay...but IIRC there aren't any reports about Intellipark problems on Western Digital GP drives manufactured after September 15th (the specific date seems to be September 13th, but the 15th is easier to remember) on the TCF... <snip>
I'll to reach out to bkdtv to see if he agrees that it's time to update the FAQ now.
Sounds good. Is That September 13/15th 2009, or 2010? Is it all-inclusive of all models of WD GP and AV-GP drives? My most recent purchase from NewEgg, was a WD20EARS drive, which had a manufacture date of Feb 10, 2010. It was only about two months ago that I ordered/received that drive.

If I do run across the posts, which I am fairly certain I saw, but not necessarily on TCF (may have been on an AV forum, The SD forum, or the one that we don't speak of here), I will posts links to any forum, except that last one, which we don't speak of here (to avoid being banned).

I feel it is DEFINITELY time (past due) for a major overhaul of the base FAQ, in regards to getting rid of old information, and adding new information. Some link updates and additional links would be nice too.

Thank you, Rich, for all that you have done here on the TCF, and I look forward to more of the same.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 05-05-2011 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Typos
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #7506
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Sounds good. Is That September 13/15th 2010, or 2011? .........
Don't think any drives have been produced in September 2011.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #7507
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
I feel it is DEFINITELY time (past due) for a major overhaul of the base FAQ, in regards to getting rid of old information, and adding new information. Some link updates and additional links would be nice too.
So... are you volunteering for the task? Are you a producer...or are you a consumer?
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #7508
cpalcott

Series 3 Upgrade...Which Drive?

I have a Series 3 that crapped out (freezes, restarts, etc.). So, I want to do an upgrade to a 1TB drive. I have a series 3 image in .iso, .tbk, and .msf formats. I have a Windows 7 (32 bit) desktop with empty sata ports and sata power ports. I don't want to add any external drives to the tivo, just a new internal drive. Which drive is going to give me the least amount of trouble? Would a WD10EARS fit the bill? Also, what software should I use and are their specific instructions when not backing up from the original tivo drive? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
cpalcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #7509
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

WinMFS is the easiest to use. With the others, you need to type in long Linux commands.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #7510
dartagnan_007

Guys I need some help. My Tivo Series 3 TCD648250B has been rebooting in the middle of recordings for the last couple of weeks so I bought a New WD 1TB Harddrive Model WD10EARS to put in it. The drive that is going bad is not the origianl drive but a an upgraded 750Gb drive I got from Weaknees back in 2006. The new Drive Arrived yesterday so I went to work to get it setup. The first problem I had was that WinMFS would not see the drive that came out of the TiVo no matter what I did. Both Drivves were connected directly to the Motherboard with SATA cables and power. I still have the original drive that came with the TiVo so I tried it and still WinMFS would not see it. SO I downloaded MFSLive and booted with it. I went back to trying to backup the drive that is going bad. It would run the command but tell me the destination drive was not big enough. I tired both with recordings and without using the command generator on the site. Finally I wne tback to the origianl drive and I was able to get it to copy over to the new drive in just a few minutes without recordings. I pout the drive in the TiVo and it booted up. The problem then was that it would reboot about every 5 minutes. I finally pulled the cable cards and unplugged the tuning adaptor and it booted and stayed booted. I plugged the cable cards back in one at a time and it saw them no problem but I need to get the cable company to resend the authorixation signal which I will do today. I cleared and deleted everyting and repeated guided setup. I have not pluged the tuning adaptor in yet as the TiVo is still running firmware version 8.0 something. I had the Tivo do a Download last night as I went to bed to pull in the all the guide and hopefully the update. When I got up this morning firmware was still at 8.0 so I rebooted to see if it needed to be applied. After reboot still no update. So before I left for work I forced it to connect to TiVo hoping when I get home it will be updated.

So here are my questions:
Since the previous Drive had all the updates will the Tivo ever get the Update?
Do I have to activate the cable cards to get the Update?
Is there anything I could do to backup the 750Gb harddrive?

Thanks for your Help,
Scott

UPDATE:
Went home at lunch and software was still at 8.0 so I rebooted the TiVO and it came up and said preparing update. It rebooted and it is now at the point were it is installing the update and it says it can take an hour or more so I left it to update and went back to work. Hopefully when I get home it will be fully updated and I get get the Cable company to reauthorize the cards and tuning adaptor over the phone.

Last edited by dartagnan_007 : 05-04-2011 at 12:18 PM.
dartagnan_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #7511
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Hi all,

I'll probably be upgrading my TiVo HD in the near future, ideally with new 1TB internal and external drives using WinMFS. Assume we're still limited to 1TB on each?

I'd be buying copies of Win7 Home Premium and Fusion to run it as a VM on my MacBook Pro. So...if I were to buy two 1TB WD10EVDS drives, an Antec MX-1 enclosure for the external, a Thermaltake dual drive dock, and the Torx screwdrivers, I should be set to go, correct?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #7512
dwit

Neenahboy said:
Quote:
Hi all,

I'll probably be upgrading my TiVo HD in the near future, ideally with new 1TB internal and external drives using WinMFS. Assume we're still limited to 1TB on each?

I'd be buying copies of Win7 Home Premium and Fusion to run it as a VM on my MacBook Pro. So...if I were to buy two 1TB WD10EVDS drives, an Antec MX-1 enclosure for the external, a Thermaltake dual drive dock, and the Torx screwdrivers, I should be set to go, correct?
The latest wisdom is to now avoid the dual drive set up for a Tivo HD with a capacity of 2 TB. The way to go now is with a single 2 TB hard drive. The pertinent thread with all the info you need is here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

Please note that this new procedure/program was first developed for the new Tivo Premiere but was later found to work also for expanding the capacity for the Tivo HD. I mention this because you will probably notice some references/links to the Premiere upgrade threads, and the procedures are pretty much the same except for one important difference. The difference is, for the final step(Supersize step), for the Tivo HD, this step must be done using the WinMfs program instead of using the new JMFS program for the Supersize step. Otherwise everything else is pretty much identical.

Another reason I mentioned the Premiere thread is because in one of the upgrade threads(Tivo HD or Premiere), it is noted that these dual drive docks(including the Thermaltake Duet) do not work with the new procedure. I believe they probably don't work with the older WinMfs procedure also. Again, the drives must be connected, individually, to the motherboard, via SATA connections, or the computer via USB connection. (I could be wrong about the dual drive dock not working with the winmfs program as the issue was with Linux, which is what JMFS runs.)

Having said all that, my Tivo HD has been running smoothly for 3.5 years in internal/external 2 TB capacity(including the Antec MX-1 enclosure), upgraded with the older Winmfs procedure. I recently had a scare with the set up, but all turned out to be well. Still brushed up on the new method for the time that will eventually come to be that I will use it.

Good luck.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 05-05-2011 at 12:13 PM.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #7513
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Don't think any drives have been produced in September 2011.
Oops. Fixed that. Must have posted after watching too much TiVo...
Old 05-05-2011, 05:34 AM   #7514
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
So... are you volunteering for the task? Are you a producer...or are you a consumer?
Somebody else in is charge of the FAQ. I couldn't take over, even if I wanted to. All the rest of us can do is ask for an update and/or submit what we would like added and/or updated.

Nice attitude. Maybe you should read the FAQ sticky posts at the beginning of this thread, then read ALL the posts from there on through here (yes, I have done so), then decide if you want to be judgmental of others who merely post that the FAQ sticky posts are outdated and could use an update.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #7515
richsadams

Quote:
Sounds good. Is That September 13/15th 2009, or 2010? Is it all-inclusive of all models of WD GP and AV-GP drives?
September 15, 2010 and includes all WD GP and GP A/V drives. FWIW based on a number of posts the GP A/V drives appear to have been "updated" earlier, some much earlier (March 2010). But for ease of reference, September 15, 2010 seems to be as safe as it gets.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #7516
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalcott View Post
I have a Series 3 that crapped out (freezes, restarts, etc.). So, I want to do an upgrade to a 1TB drive. I have a series 3 image in .iso, .tbk, and .msf formats. I have a Windows 7 (32 bit) desktop with empty sata ports and sata power ports. I don't want to add any external drives to the tivo, just a new internal drive. Which drive is going to give me the least amount of trouble? Would a WD10EARS fit the bill? Also, what software should I use and are their specific instructions when not backing up from the original tivo drive? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Recommended drives:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...15#post8495715

As ThAbtO mentioned, wimMFS is your best bet. Follow all of the instructions in the FAQ (first post of this thread - specifically Section V, #22a or 22b) and you should be good to go.

Happy upgrading!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #7517
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartagnan_007 View Post
Guys I need some help.
Glad to hear things are getting sorted out. When TiVo starts housekeeping its priority is to get the program guide up and running so it's useful ASAP. Updates, etc. follow. Based on what you saw it s/b running v11.0k when you get back home.

You'll need to get the cable cards paired...hopefully your cableco will allow you to read the three numbers for each card over the phone rather than insist on a truck roll. Remember to initiate them one at a time, cable card #1 first (bottom slot) and then cable card #2 otherwise it won't work.

With respect to the Weaknees drive, I've seen some reports of members being able to upgrade without any problems. However I've seen more posts about people having problems like yours. Most often folks are able to copy the content over but then TiVo throws the "External hard drive missing" error, even though they did not have an external drive. So most end up doing exactly what you did. I've never run any diagnostics on the Weaknees drives but they are obviously doing things differently than we are here.

Hope all is right when you get home. If you happened to have set up your account for online Season Passes and such, TiVo will repopulate that data at least. If not, you might want to do that to save some time in the future.

https://www3.tivo.com/apps/login/sho...Fapps%2Fspm.do

Best of luck and let us know how things go.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #7518
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
Hi all,

Per dwit's recommendation I would certainly go with a single 2TB internal upgrade...less cost, one less fail point. You can boot into jmfs on your Mac so no need for a VM. (When you Option Boot the choice is between your Mac's HDD and the jmfs disc...which ironically appears as "Windows" even though it's Linux. )

Happy upgrading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Another reason I mentioned the Premiere thread is because in one of the upgrade threads (Tivo HD or Premiere), it is noted that these dual drive docks(including the Thermaltake Duet) do not work with the new procedure.
A dual drive dock will work, but only with one drive in it. winMFS, MFSTools and JMFS only recognize one USB connected drive per adapter/dock. So Neenahboy's plan to use his Antec MX1 and a dual drive dock would work (with one drive in each).

Nice recap BTW.

Last edited by richsadams : 05-05-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #7519
mandms7

Hello all,

My original Series3 (TCD648250B) started experiencing weird behavior after a recent power outage. It would become incredibly slow and eventually reboot during transfers from my Premiere. Tried all the various Kickstart tests, but they all came back fine. I ended up ordering a WD10EVDS from Amazon, which I received the other day. It has a manufacturing date of January 2011.

I used Instant Cake to install the image on the drive, so it is now running TiVo software 9.2a. When I installed it in my TiVo, it got stuck at the "Welcome, Powering Up" screen. A couple pulls of the power cord did not resolve it. I was under the impression that based on the manufacturing date of my drive, the Intellipark feature should not have been the issue. However, since I had no idea what might be causing the issue, I downloaded the ISO and disabled the Intellipark feature. After doing so, my TiVo booted without issue.

Just curious if this was expected behavior or if anyone else ran into this issue with newer drives?

Thanks.
mandms7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #7520
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandms7 View Post
Hello all,

My original Series3 (TCD648250B) started experiencing weird behavior after a recent power outage. It would become incredibly slow and eventually reboot during transfers from my Premiere. Tried all the various Kickstart tests, but they all came back fine. I ended up ordering a WD10EVDS from Amazon, which I received the other day. It has a manufacturing date of January 2011.

I used Instant Cake to install the image on the drive, so it is now running TiVo software 9.2a. When I installed it in my TiVo, it got stuck at the "Welcome, Powering Up" screen. A couple pulls of the power cord did not resolve it. I was under the impression that based on the manufacturing date of my drive, the Intellipark feature should not have been the issue. However, since I had no idea what might be causing the issue, I downloaded the ISO and disabled the Intellipark feature. After doing so, my TiVo booted without issue.

Just curious if this was expected behavior or if anyone else ran into this issue with newer drives?

Thanks.
That's good info...and glad things are working okay. I have seen that issue with IC but I can't be sure if it's actually an Intellipark problem or something to do with IC. IIRC some have had to power cycle an IC install four or five times before it "took", but again, not sure about the issue behind that.

The WD10EVDS drives were updated about this time (or earlier) last year so folks haven't had to tweak the Intelipark setting, but again, they weren't using IC, just imaging the original drive. Did you happen to notice what the setting was before you changed it? Also, what state did you end up putting it in; 300 seconds (or longer) or disabled?

So it's possible that what you ended up doing may not have had any bearing on the actual problem, or it may well have, hard to say without some more input from others doing the same exact thing.

Thanks for the info!

BTW, you may have already done so, but if not the best "insurance" you can buy for your TiVo is a UPS like this one. That can address and almost always prevent damage and data corruption caused by power failures, brown outs, spikes. etc.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #7521
mandms7

Oh boy. I just realized that I used the "wdidle3 /S300" command instead of the "wdidle3 /D" command. Sorry - I didn't notice the setting previously. How do you verify the current setting? Also, would you recommend that I change it back or change it to disabled?

One other issue. After using Instant Cake, I used WinMFS to enable the "supersize" feature. However, my Series 3 is still only showing 144 hours. Any ideas?

Thank you.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #7522
richsadams

Quote:
Oh boy. I just realized that I used the "wdidle3 /S300" command instead of the "wdidle3 /D" command. Sorry - I didn't notice the setting previously. How do you verify the current setting? Also, would you recommend that I change it back or change it to disabled?
Try a menu restart. If your TiVo reboots normally it s/b fine.

Quote:
One other issue. After using Instant Cake, I used WinMFS to enable the "supersize" feature. However, my Series 3 is still only showing 144 hours. Any ideas?
Hmmm...you could try to supersize again...although it seems like there was a step in IC that did that. It's been so long since I used IC I can't remember though. I do recall that sometimes (not always?) supersize has a confirmation pop up that appears behind the winMFS window...you have to move the window out of the way to see it and click "OK". If you try it again, try moving the window around after you click on the Supersize drop down and see if anything is there.

IIRC DVRUpgrade had an FAQ on their website...that might have an answer. They also have a forum you could check. I know they say IC is "unsupported" but you might drop a line to DVRUpgrade's support and see if they can answer if all else fails.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #7523
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
The latest wisdom is to now avoid the dual drive set up for a Tivo HD with a capacity of 2 TB. The way to go now is with a single 2 TB hard drive. The pertinent thread with all the info you need is here:
*snip*
Quote:
Per dwit's recommendation I would certainly go with a single 2TB internal upgrade...less cost, one less fail point. You can boot into jmfs on your Mac so no need for a VM. (When you Option Boot the choice is between your Mac's HDD and the jmfs disc...which ironically appears as "Windows" even though it's Linux. )

Happy upgrading!
Thanks for that, guys.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #7524
unitron

Wdbaay0020hnc-nrsn

Just an FYI for future searchers:

WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN is the model number for a Western Digital retail box.

The ad currently on Amazon that shows it being offered by J&R has pictures that show the drive inside as the WD20EADS, which has a 32MB cache and the non-"advanced format" 512 byte sector platters.

Ordered one from J&R. Opened the WD box, slipped out the drive and through the anti-static bag I could see that --

The drive inside the WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN is a WD20EACS with a 16MB cache and the sticker on the top of the drive has the advanced format warning.

For the same money you can probably find a WD20EARS with 64MB of cache and the same 4K platters.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #7525
mandms7

Quote:
Try a menu restart. If your TiVo reboots normally it s/b fine.

Hmmm...you could try to supersize again...although it seems like there was a step in IC that did that. It's been so long since I used IC I can't remember though. I do recall that sometimes (not always?) supersize has a confirmation pop up that appears behind the winMFS window...you have to move the window out of the way to see it and click "OK". If you try it again, try moving the window around after you click on the Supersize drop down and see if anything is there.

IIRC DVRUpgrade had an FAQ on their website...that might have an answer. They also have a forum you could check. I know they say IC is "unsupported" but you might drop a line to DVRUpgrade's support and see if they can answer if all else fails.
After my TiVo upgraded to the latest software, it is now reporting 157 hours of recording time. A little strange, but I won't complain.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:32 AM   #7526
richsadams

Quote:
After my TiVo upgraded to the latest software, it is now reporting 157 hours of recording time. A little strange, but I won't complain.
Enjoy!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #7527
leiff

Any third party ext. hard drive recommendations for stock S# users?

I'm on a stock original S3 Tivo and looking for a good deal on an external hardrive. Any recommendations? I was hoping since the original S3 has less external hardrive restrictions, that there may be better/cheaper out there?
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #7528
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
I'm on a stock original S3 Tivo and looking for a good deal on an external hardrive. Any recommendations? I was hoping since the original S3 has less external hardrive restrictions, that there may be better/cheaper out there?
The information in the original FAQ is still accurate when it comes to "non-approved" external hard drives for the Series3. There are a couple that are incompatible.

If your Series3 still has the original hard drive odds are that it is nearing the end of its life (depending of course on when the Series3 was put into service). Adding a second point of failure is probably not a good idea unless you really don't care if your recordings are lost or not.

If you're looking for more storage space your best bet is to simply upgrade the internal hard drive and put the original on the shelf as a backup while it's still in good operating condition. The cost for a 1TB internal hard drive will probably be about equal to or less than an external drive and you'll have a much greater peace of mind.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #7529
leiff

Thanks for the suggestion. I bought my S3 a little over three years ago. How old is that? I don't really care about potentially loosing my recorded shows but it would be nice to have an extra 250 Gigs to draw from. If I do decide to swap internal instead, how time consuming will it be for me to learn how to copy my drive info to the new drive so as to retain my season-pass manager/thumb up/down settings ect... ?

Fantom GreenDrive 1TB External Hard Drive GD1000EU for $80 a good choice? Mixed reviews on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Fantom-GreenDr...pr_product_top

Last edited by leiff : 05-08-2011 at 09:08 PM.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #7530
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff
Thanks for the suggestion. I bought my S3 a little over three years ago. How old is that? I don't really care about potentially loosing my recorded shows but it would be nice to have an extra 250 Gigs to draw from. If I do decide to swap internal instead, how time consuming will it be for me to learn how to copy my drive info to the new drive so as to retain my season-pass manager/thumb up/down settings ect... ?

Fantom GreenDrive 1TB External Hard Drive GD1000EU for $80 a good choice? Mixed reviews on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Fantom-GreenDr...pr_product_top
The Fantom Green drive will work...has a WD GP hard drive inside.

If you follow the upgrade steps exactly as listed on the first post of this thread there's really no "learning curve" at all. If I don't want to save my recordings I can complete an upgrade in about 15 or 20 minutes these days. First time around I'd guess an hour tops. Most of that time is consumed taking things apart and putting them back together.

If you're comfortable connecting a hard drive to a computer you shouldn't have any problems.

Happy upgrading!