TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #7441
gwsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Check your numbers on the lifetime cost. Sounds like you're thinking it's $199, and I don't think it goes that low. You can probably get $299, which isn't bad for the XL. But consider a regular Premiere and upgrade it to 2TB yourself--it's really easy (Rich will probably respond, he's a good resource). See:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=370784

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=8445804

I've done that solution three times (sold one to a friend)--each upgrade offer I cashed in on was $470 for a (shipped) LIFETIMED S4 (with 300GB stock drive). A few hours of copying and an $80-$100 2TB WD drive later (I used WD20EARS, there's several good choices on that thread), you'll have yourself a 2TB S4 (bigger than the XL), giving you over 300 hours of HD. So this comes to about $550 for a 300hr HD unit, and you get to shelve the original 300GB drive as your backup. If you're expecting to stay in one area a long time, it's easiest to let the stock drive stay in until you get the CableCARD install complete and working properly, that way that is transferred to the new drive and will be there when/if you ever need the backup.

I'm one of the latter, obv. The HD/SD argument doesn't sway me--I use a laptop, not the TV, to do my Internet stuff. I much prefer the SD menus. And on the S4 there's a noticable increase in responsiveness/speed on the SD menus. Plus with the Premiere (and the HDTiVO), you will only need a single CableCARD, not two as the S3 still requires. I add to my pro-S4 argument that there's "room to grow" on the S4. TiVo may have always been slow (yes, horribly so) in making software changes, but they haven't ever NOT done so. There are significant gains to be made with tweaking the software that you'll see over time, to include a jump in capabilities/reliability/speed once they enable the second CPU, which currently sits unutilized.

First, I'll comment on one thing that maybe you weren't asking: I don't like your decision to use the external expander--too many extra parts added, more failure points and a bad track record. But given 2TB drive upgrades are not easy (IIRC) on the S3, it may be your easiest choice.

You're in a precarious situation with your old drive, but there are lots of folks who swear by the S3. I would have recommended if you're sticking with the S3 that you NOT do the external drive, and instead copy/transfer the existing drive to a 1.5TB drive, giving you about 1.2TB (IIRC) of TiVo utilized space, about what you get with your stock(aging)+external solution, with all new hardware and five or so fewer failure points (cable, two sockets, external unit, its power supply and its drive).

Unfortunately, I believe now that you've married your external to your main drive, all of your shows will be lost if you go back to one drive in order to do the upgrade to a single internal drive.

Consider a Mac Mini, thats what we use. They're trivially easy to run machines, very high quality, low power. Pop it onto an unused HDMI port on your TV, add $140 or so for the Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad (I LOVE that trackpad--our wireless apple mouse sits unused). Plug it into the wired network, and have a place you can plug your MBA into the wired network for TiVO transfers from either the TiVo or the Mini, so you get faster transfer times. We popped on a Newertech MiniStack v3, an external 2TB drive, which is also low profile and low power. Tons of room, and the MBP and the Mini both Time Machine to that drive.
I agree with you that a Mac Mini as an HTPC would be a good choice. I already own an Apple wireless keyboard and the trackpad can be bought for about $50. I used my Apple mouse so seldom, I gave it to my grandson. If I get a Mac Mini, which is likely, I agree that the wireless trackpad would be a good addition. I have used Mac laptops for more than 8 years, so I prefer trackpads to mice. If I go the Mac Mini route I will set it up like my MBA and run Windows under VMware Fusion. That way I would be able to use TiVo Desktop for Windows to backup the TiVo(s) directly to the Mac Mini and an attached HTPC formatted drive. That would be pretty slick.

I really have liked the S4s, too. I had one of each for awhile on a Lend Lease basis and used them extensively ('nuf said, if you get what I mean). I prefer the HDUI to the SD version. Although it is slower because of its graphics, I like the utility it provides not available with the SD menus. For example, on some screens, Find Programs, for example, it is possible to see the submenu titles by simply highlighting Find Programs. With the SD menus, though, you have to press Select to move to the next screen to see the submenus.

After I saw your post I did a little more research and learned how really cheap the Premiere boxes are these days. I agree that a Premiere for less than $90 would make $299 for a lifetime subscription sensible. I may well do that and add a larger internal drive as you suggest, or just buy another WD eSATA drive.

I am quite comfortable with my decision to add a WD eSATA 1TB drive to my S3. It was cheap, easy to do, and quintupled my storage capacity. The drawback, of course, is that if my S3's 4.5 year old internal drive fails, I will lose everything on both drives. That's why I started using TiVo Desktop for Windows to backup the programs I want to keep to an external drive. Fortunately, there aren't many of them because I have primarily used my TiVos as time shifting devices, not for archiving programs. Thus, there aren't many shows I want to copy to disc from the S3. If the S3's internal drive fails, I'll just buy a new one and start over. In my case, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciated it.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #7442
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
unitron -- Thanks for the followup. I realized after I posted last night that the slow speed of the transfers was almost certainly the result of my having done them wirelessly. I am still very pleased with the result. From now on when I want to transfer programs I will simply start the transfers immediately before I go to bed. I did that last night with a second 4.5 hour football game recording. This time TiVo Desktop indicated that the transfer would take about 7.5 hours. When I checked this morning the transfer had completed and was just fine.

After I read your latest post this morning, I checked my S3 and saw that the TiVo Server is shown at the bottom of the Now Playing list and the recording I made are available for playback. That's pretty slick.

Right now, I have TiVo Desktop for Windows on my 2010 Macbook Air. I am running Windows under VMware Fusion in Unity mode. As noted above, TiVo Desktop worked well. I now realize, though, that TiVo Server's maximum utility can't be achieved if it isn't left running all the time. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be convenient to do that with my little laptop so I am considering buying a new desktop machine, I currently have a 6 year old HP/Compaq, which has become so slow, it is almost useless. Thanks to you, I have learned how to backup my S3's files to an external drive, so I am a happy camper. Thanks again for your help.
If you get the TiVo its own computer (yes, I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's what I wound up doing--had an extra motherboard)you can get another 1TB drive for your TiVo and copy everything over, then use the old 1TB for the OS and other junk on the TiVo's computer, and add a 2TB or two just to store programs transferred from the Tivo (make it all one big NT partition), and you can connect that computer to your network non-wirelessly, which will speed things up even if the TiVo is still wireless, or you can connect it and the TiVo non-wirelessly to a wireless access point with multiple wired inputs, which will speed things up even more, and just worry about wireless for the TiVo to use the internet to download guide data, or if you're a networking wizard you can put a regular nic and a wireless nic in the TiVo's computer, and let the Tivo access the internet through the computer's wireless connection, but let it and its computer talk to each other over CAT5.

That old HP/Compaq should work as the Tivo's computer just fine and you can get that new desktop for yourself. (Giving the TiVo its own computer is one thing, giving it the best one in the house, well that *is* ridiculous)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #7443
unitron

Quote:
I agree with you that a Mac Mini as an HTPC would be a good choice. I already own an Apple wireless keyboard and the trackpad can be bought for about $50. I used my Apple mouse so seldom, I gave it to my grandson. If I get a Mac Mini, which is likely, I agree that the wireless trackpad would be a good addition. I have used Mac laptops for more than 8 years, so I prefer trackpads to mice. If I go the Mac Mini route I will set it up like my MBA and run Windows under VMware Fusion. That way I would be able to use TiVo Desktop for Windows to backup the TiVo(s) directly to the Mac Mini and an attached HTPC formatted drive. That would be pretty slick.

I really have liked the S4s, too. I had one of each for awhile on a Lend Lease basis and used them extensively ('nuf said, if you get what I mean). I prefer the HDUI to the SD version. Although it is slower because of its graphics, I like the utility it provides not available with the SD menus. For example, on some screens, Find Programs, for example, it is possible to see the submenu titles by simply highlighting Find Programs. With the SD menus, though, you have to press Select to move to the next screen to see the submenus.

After I saw your post I did a little more research and learned how really cheap the Premiere boxes are these days. I agree that a Premiere for less than $90 would make $299 for a lifetime subscription sensible. I may well do that and add a larger internal drive as you suggest, or just buy another WD eSATA drive.

I am quite comfortable with my decision to add a WD eSATA 1TB drive to my S3. It was cheap, easy to do, and quintupled my storage capacity. The drawback, of course, is that if my S3's 4.5 year old internal drive fails, I will lose everything on both drives. That's why I started using TiVo Desktop for Windows to backup the programs I want to keep to an external drive. Fortunately, there aren't many of them because I have primarily used my TiVos as time shifting devices, not for archiving programs. Thus, there aren't many shows I want to copy to disc from the S3. If the S3's internal drive fails, I'll just buy a new one and start over. In my case, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciated it.
I'm pretty sure that those $99 Premieres are strictly $19.95 per month every month for eternity and that's the only option. You have to have paid full price, or at least bought before that promotion started late last fall in order to qualify to buy lifetime.

It's discussed in detail elsewhere on this site in a thread or two or three for people with more disposable income than I have.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #7444
gwsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That old HP/Compaq should work as the Tivo's computer just fine and you can get that new desktop for yourself. (Giving the TiVo its own computer is one thing, giving it the best one in the house, well that *is* ridiculous)
That's good idea. I installed TiVo Desktop on the HP/Compaq yesterday but it couldn't find my S3. I suspect that was because TiVo Server was still running on my MBA. If I exit from the TiVo Server app now running on the MBA should the TiVo Desktop running on the HP/Compaq then be able to find the S3 and connect to it? If I could do that, it just might solve my problem.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #7445
gwsat

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that those $99 Premieres are strictly $19.95 per month every month for eternity and that's the only option. You have to have paid full price, or at least bought before that promotion started late last fall in order to qualify to buy lifetime.

It's discussed in detail elsewhere on this site in a thread or two or three for people with more disposable income than I have.
After I saw your post I checked the Amazon listing for the Premiere again and can confirm that you are right. To get the $83.99 price for the Premiere, the buyer has to signup for a $19.99 a month subscription for a minimum of one year. Fortunately, my S3 should serve me well for the foreseeable future so I am in no hurry to get a Premiere.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #7446
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
I am quite comfortable with my decision to add a WD eSATA 1TB drive to my S3. It was cheap, easy to do, and quintupled my storage capacity. The drawback, of course, is that if my S3's 4.5 year old internal drive fails, I will lose everything on both drives.
Frankly, despite the age of the drive, I would bet that the odds of the brand new external drive failing in some way are better than that of the internal drive failing--they may be easy, they're just not reliable. Any such failure may similarly result in losing all of the recordings.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #7447
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
After I saw your post I checked the Amazon listing for the Premiere again and can confirm that you are right. To get the $83.99 price for the Premiere, the buyer has to signup for a $19.99 a month subscription for a minimum of one year. Fortunately, my S3 should serve me well for the foreseeable future so I am in no hurry to get a Premiere.
If you've had TiVos before, you should have the upgrade offers, right? Or are you trying to beat that $470 lifetimed S4 price?

The 2TB upgrade is trivially easy, getting an XL is silly. Though maybe the nicer remote it gives you is worth its $50 cost or whatever, separately.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #7448
gwsat

Quote:
Frankly, despite the age of the drive, I would bet that the odds of the brand new external drive failing in some way are better than that of the internal drive failing--they may be easy, they're just not reliable. Any such failure may similarly result in losing all of the recordings.
I don't disagree that my S3's external drive could fail before the internal drive does but, as noted, if it does, I'll just buy another one and go from there. Fortunately, as you know, drives don't cost very much any more. I have used external drives for many years with many computers and they have proved to be just as reliable as internal drives.

Quote:
If you've had TiVos before, you should have the upgrade offers, right? Or are you trying to beat that $470 lifetimed S4 price?

The 2TB upgrade is trivially easy, getting an XL is silly. Though maybe the nicer remote it gives you is worth its $50 cost or whatever, separately.
I have had TiVos since an S1 I bought in 2000. Upon mature reflection, I agree that the XL probably isn't cost effective because, as mentioned above, disc storage is ridiculously cheap these days. Also, I have used both the Premiere and XL remotes; in my HT setup at least, I didn't see any significant difference between them.

I suspect that TiVo's offer to existing customers of $470 for a Premiere with a lifetime subscription is likely to be as good as I can do and I may go for it. I am nearly certain, though, that if I upgrade its storage, it will be with another WD eSATA 1TB drive. Sorry about that.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #7449
unitron

Quote:
That's good idea. I installed TiVo Desktop on the HP/Compaq yesterday but it couldn't find my S3. I suspect that was because TiVo Server was still running on my MBA. If I exit from the TiVo Server app now running on the MBA should the TiVo Desktop running on the HP/Compaq then be able to find the S3 and connect to it? If I could do that, it just might solve my problem.
I get out of my depth when you introduce Apple products into the mix.

My computer and my Tivo's computer are both running TiVo Desktop on XP Home, and both can see both of our S2s, and both S2s can see both of them, so maybe your situation is a Beacon/Bonjour thing.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about and somebody else here will be kind enough to enlighten us both.

Can your Mac and the Carly Fiorina special see each other on the network all okie-dokie?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #7450
gwsat

Quote:
I get out of my depth when you introduce Apple products into the mix.

My computer and my Tivo's computer are both running TiVo Desktop on XP Home, and both can see both of our S2s, and both S2s can see both of them, so maybe your situation is a Beacon/Bonjour thing.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about and somebody else here will be kind enough to enlighten us both.

Can your Mac and the Carly Fiorina special see each other on the network all okie-dokie?
Before I retired, I was an IT professional and worked exclusively in Windows shops. Even before I retired, though, I shifted to Mac at home. I have had the desktop HP/Compaq I mentioned earlier for a long time. Over time it has become filled with a lot of garbage so today I am reformatting the disc in preparation for reinstalling XP. I hated to do to do it because I am going to have to relearn how to reconfigure it to find my network, among other things. The Carley Fiorina desktop and all of my Steve Jobs gear have always been able to communicate just fine so I am confident I can get there again.

If worst comes to worst, I'll buy a Mac Mini and another copy of VMware Fusion and install Windows 7 on it. The desktop is so old and slow and my uses for it so modest, an XP reinstall seemed to make more sense than Windows 7. I'll post again when I finally, somehow, have TiVo Desktop running on a desktop machine.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #7451
richsadams

Quote:
That's why external drives have a one-year warranty and OEM/internal drives have a three-year warranty. Externals often use the very same drive, however there are more things to go wrong (chipsets, bridge, etc.) with an external, not to mention they can be subject to more "abuse" (dropping, tipping over, etc.) depending on their application.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #7452
gwsat

Rich, unitron, and ThreeSoFar -- I really appreciate the suggestions each of you has made. Fortunately, it looks like I am setup for the foreseeable future. I reinstalled Windows XP on my ancient HP/Compaq desktop this morning and downloaded and installed the latest version of TiVo Desktop. After I entered my S3's Authorization Code, TiVo Desktop came up with its Now Playing list. I am now copying recordings from the S3 to an external 640GB drive I have connected to the desktop machine. The downloads seem to be considerably faster on the desktop than they were to my MBA. I suspect that is because there is an Ethernet cable connection between the desktop and my router,whereas the MBA connects to it wirelessly. Anyway, all seems to be going well and I couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks again!

ThreeSoFar, keep your fingers crossed for me that both my S3's internal and external drives last until I have them backed up.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #7453
terabitdan

S3 Upgrade with WD10EURS

I just wanted to thank all the regular contributors on this forum for your guidence. I was able to upgrade my S3 from the original drive and a 500 GB WD DVR expander to a single 1TB WD10EURS today by following the directions.

One problem was that I had to use wdidle3.exe to set the intellipark from 8 seconds to 300 on a drive manufactured in Jan 2011. Without it the S3 just hung on the powerup screen. The drive is quiter than original and the whole family is looking forward to more free space.

The reason for my upgrade was increasing pixalation, loss of sound and sound out of sync. The drive seems to have fixed it.

Next step, adding another in the external case or just moving to Premier

Dan
terabitdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:11 AM   #7454
unitron

Slight sale at 'the egg'

"Take 10% off any internal hard drive. Enter promo code HDTEN at checkout. Offer valid 4/7/11 12am PDT to 4/8/11 11:59pm PDT."

Old 04-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #7455
rspad53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris401 View Post
Just posting to mention my absolute hate and frustration for Tivo's external upgrade path. I have a Tivo HD which has been chugging along okay for some time now. This fall, I decided that life would be easier without having to worry about watching something before it got deleted. To save time (so I thought), I went with the officially supported, My Book AV DVR Expander. That is to say, I have been through five (5) My Book AV DVR Expanders, three (3) different eSATA cables, and many missed shows. It is simply not a stable situation. Using a new eSATA cable this last week, I thought I had finally solved the problem, but little did I know, all week it kept restarting only to ultimately get stuck on during live TV recently. When re-booting, it hung during start up.

I have been using tivo 2003 (not as long as some), but I'm starting to get annoyed. This is officially supported, but Tivo blames WD and WD blames Tivo, so no one can explain it and solve the problem. I haven't done the research in years, but is there any DVR alternative out there that offers the same Tivo-ease-of-use? I'm on antenna, not dish or cable or fios or uverse, so it needs to be able to handle that. I really don't have the time to build my own system. But surely by now there is a decent competitor??
I had the same problem with my 500g wd expander to my tivo hd. But i noticed that sometimes when i moved the tivo, it would reboot, even if a slight move. So then i just touched the esata where it connects on the tivo and sometimes it would reboot. I believe it is a esata cable problem and not the tivo or the expander.( i did replace the cable to no success).
Unrelated to that problem, just this week i started having freeze ups and decided to replace the internal drive to 1tb. This was easy and solved my reboot and freeze ups.
rspad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #7456
wendysimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspad53 View Post
I had the same problem with my 500g wd expander to my tivo hd. But i noticed that sometimes when i moved the tivo, it would reboot, even if a slight move. So then i just touched the esata where it connects on the tivo and sometimes it would reboot. I believe it is a esata cable problem and not the tivo or the expander.( i did replace the cable to no success).
Unrelated to that problem, just this week i started having freeze ups and decided to replace the internal drive to 1tb. This was easy and solved my reboot and freeze ups.
What drive did you buy? Price and where? I need to buy a 1tb and am overwhelmed with all the information, much of it on the sticky seems like its for drives that are no longer current. Any suggestions for a 1tb upgrade that I need to do? Thanks

Also I need to put lifetime on this box. Do you think it's a good decision to upgrade a S3 and get lifetime on it or just get a premiere? I keep reading not so great stuff on premiere and am just overwhelmed. I already have the S3. Thanks!
wendysimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:59 AM   #7457
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysimon View Post
What drive did you buy? Price and where? I need to buy a 1tb and am overwhelmed with all the information, much of it on the sticky seems like its for drives that are no longer current. Any suggestions for a 1tb upgrade that I need to do? Thanks

Also I need to put lifetime on this box. Do you think it's a good decision to upgrade a S3 and get lifetime on it or just get a premiere? I keep reading not so great stuff on premiere and am just overwhelmed. I already have the S3. Thanks!
Here are your two best bets for a hard drive upgrade of your Series3...

Western Digital WD10EVDS

Western Digital WD10EARS

When it comes to TiVo the only difference between the two is that the WD10EVDS is a dedicated A/V drive and is a bit quieter. However if you want to add one more step to the upgrade process you can easily change the Auto Acoustic Management (AAM) in the WD10EARS to match that of the WD10EVCS at 128 by using HDDScan.

Everything you need to know is in the FAQ (first post). The instructions are current. Just remember to follow all of the steps exactly and you'll have a "new" TiVo in under an hour!

FWIW I wouldn't add Lifetime to your Series3 now...it's too old to justify another $300 or $400 (depending on how generous TiVo is feeling). If they were to offer the $199 lifetime special that comes up now and then, I would probably go for it.

We have both the Series3 (which I still love) and the newer Premiere XL (ours has a lifetime subscription). You can usually find TiVo Premiere's for less than $100 now. If you wanted you could put lifetime on it and easily upgrade it to 2TB's and really get your money's worth. More here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

Me? I'd upgrade the Series3 and leave it at that.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #7458
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysimon View Post

I'm going to jump in here and suggest that you consider getting a bigger drive, not for your Tivo, but for a computer on which you run the free version of TiVo Desktop. If it's on the same network as the TiVo, you can copy the recordings the TiVo makes over to the computer and afterwards copy them to any Tivo on your account, including the one from which you copied the show in the first place.

That way, if your TiVo hard drive goes bad, you replace it and copy back the shows you have backed up on the computer.

If the TiVo itself dies, you pick up a used one and put it on your account and copy over the shows backed up on your computer.

Once you've used Tivo Desktop to copy the shows to the computer, they're still tied to your account, but they're no longer dependent on the machine that first recorded them.

If nothing goes wrong with your Tivo, you can copy stuff to the computer, delete it from the Tivo to make room to record more stuff, and then copy it back later. I'm going through the entire season of a few shows right now without being forced to hurry up and watch something so I'll have room to record something else (like season finales) that I'd really hate not to be able to record.

Instead of buying a bracket to put 2 1TB drives into a Tivo, you can put 1 2TB drive into the computer for the price of a 1TB and maybe $30 more.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #7459
richsadams

Quote:
I'm going to jump in here and suggest that you consider getting a bigger drive, not for your Tivo, but for a computer on which you run the free version of TiVo Desktop. If it's on the same network as the TiVo, you can copy the recordings the TiVo makes over to the computer and afterwards copy them to any Tivo on your account, including the one from which you copied the show in the first place.

That way, if your TiVo hard drive goes bad, you replace it and copy back the shows you have backed up on the computer.

If the TiVo itself dies, you pick up a used one and put it on your account and copy over the shows backed up on your computer.

Once you've used Tivo Desktop to copy the shows to the computer, they're still tied to your account, but they're no longer dependent on the machine that first recorded them.

If nothing goes wrong with your Tivo, you can copy stuff to the computer, delete it from the Tivo to make room to record more stuff, and then copy it back later. I'm going through the entire season of a few shows right now without being forced to hurry up and watch something so I'll have room to record something else (like season finales) that I'd really hate not to be able to record.
That's certainly an option, but very complicated and unnecessary IMHO unless the OP wants to archive a lot of recordings. Also, unless the OP is on Verizon FiOS a lot of channels are copy protected preventing the transfer of recordings. A 1TB hard drive in a Series3 equals 157 HD or 1367 SD hours of recording space. If the OP needs more than that on a regular basis, then yes, transferring recordings is an limited option.

Simply put, there's no more chance of the hard drive going bad in a TiVo than in a computer. The odds of losing recordings is identical and hard drive failure is by far the primary cause of TiVo problems.

Quote:
Instead of buying a bracket to put 2 1TB drives into a Tivo, you can put 1 2TB drive into the computer for the price of a 1TB and maybe $30 more
Not sure where that idea came from...maybe I missed something, but I don't think anyone is suggesting putting a 2 1TB drives in the OP's Series3. It's very easy to upgrade a TiVo Premiere (or Premiere XL) with a single 2TB hard drive (see link above).

As long as the OP is comfortable connecting a hard drive to a computer and following a few steps, upgrading a TiVo Series3 (or a Premiere) is very simple.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #7460
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
That's certainly an option, but very complicated and unnecessary IMHO unless the OP wants to archive a lot of recordings. Also, unless the OP is on Verizon FiOS a lot of channels are copy protected preventing the transfer of recordings. A 1TB hard drive in a Series3 equals 157 HD or 1367 SD hours of recording space. If the OP needs more than that on a regular basis, then yes, transferring recordings is an limited option.

Simply put, there's no more chance of the hard drive going bad in a TiVo than in a computer. The odds of losing recordings is identical and hard drive failure is by far the primary cause of TiVo problems.

Not sure where that idea came from...maybe I missed something, but I don't think anyone is suggesting putting a 2 1TB drives in the OP's Series3. It's very easy to upgrade a TiVo Premiere (or Premiere XL) with a single 2TB hard drive (see link above).

As long as the OP is comfortable connecting a hard drive to a computer and following a few steps, upgrading a TiVo Series3 (or a Premiere) is very simple.
Despite having had fewer Tivos for a much shorter time, I've had a lot more hard drive "corruption" with them than with computers, and with computers I have a good chance of moving the drive to a different one and recovering most if not almost all of my files, whereas with the Tivo if you sneeze to closely to it you get something like "zone map checksum error" and you're hosed.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #7461
richsadams

Quote:
Despite having had fewer Tivos for a much shorter time, I've had a lot more hard drive "corruption" with them than with computers, and with computers I have a good chance of moving the drive to a different one and recovering most if not almost all of my files, whereas with the Tivo if you sneeze to closely to it you get something like "zone map checksum error" and you're hosed.
Hmmm...have had most every model of TiVo for the past eight or nine years and never once had that happen. Maybe your sneezes are a little more violent than mine.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #7462
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Hmmm...have had most every model of TiVo for the past eight or nine years and never once had that happen. Maybe your sneezes are a little more violent than mine.
This.

Check your power, is it killing your TiVos? Are you using a UPS?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #7463
unitron

Quote:
This.

Check your power, is it killing your TiVos? Are you using a UPS?
The house is practically littered with them.

UPSes, that is, not Tivos.

Although I do have 2 S1s and 2 S2s and it looks like I'll be getting another one soon even if only to cannibilize for parts.

Speaking of which, anybody happen to know specifically which chip(s) I'd need to transplant from one TCD649080 motherboard to another one in order to make the hard drives think they're still in the same machine so I can copy the rest of the recordings off of them?

Now that I think about it, my TiVos and UPSes and computers are probably killing my house power. 14 gauge and 15 Amp breakers only stretch so far.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #7464
lrhorer

Quote:
'Never had a TiVo hard drive fail, although the unit in the livingroom has trouble with EMI when the TV is turned on if I attach an external drive. At the same time, I've had about a dozen hard drives fail in my PC systems. Of course, the servers have a total of 30 hard drives in them, so a failure may be a bit more likely than in the TiVos, which currently only have a total of four.

I did once have a hard drive fail in a PC about six months after removing it from one of the TiVos.

P.S. - I don't know this from first-hand experience with an MFS formatted drive, but it is possible you might be able to recover from such an error using dd_rescue.

Last edited by lrhorer : 04-19-2011 at 06:50 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #7465
lrhorer

Quote:
Speaking of which, anybody happen to know specifically which chip(s) I'd need to transplant from one TCD649080 motherboard to another one in order to make the hard drives think they're still in the same machine so I can copy the rest of the recordings off of them?
Go over to the "other" TiVo forum. This has been discussed there previously.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #7466
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Go over to the "other" TiVo forum. This has been discussed there previously.
That sounds like an answer I might be able to "deal" with.

Guess I'll go check their "database".

Old 04-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #7467
bgc

Anyone recently use a WD Green (AV or Regular) in a S2DT lately?

I was told to post in this thread even though I have an S2DT (649080) so here goes.

Has anyone successfully used a WD Green drive in a Series 2 lately? Some of the info in this thread seems to indicate they won't work, and yet the guy on ebay (DVR_DUDE) is currently selling Series 2 upgrades that show a pic of a WD10EADS Green drive.

I'm assuming the problem was the Intellipark feature. If the WDidle3 utility is used to modify or turn off Intellipark, will the Green drives work? I'm not sure if I'd go with the AV version or the regular one but I'd like to know either way.

Thanks,
BGC
bgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #7468
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc View Post
I was told to post in this thread even though I have an S2DT (649080) so here goes.

Has anyone successfully used a WD Green drive in a Series 2 lately? Some of the info in this thread seems to indicate they won't work, and yet the guy on ebay (DVR_DUDE) is currently selling Series 2 upgrades that show a pic of a WD10EADS Green drive.

I'm assuming the problem was the Intellipark feature. If the WDidle3 utility is used to modify or turn off Intellipark, will the Green drives work? I'm not sure if I'd go with the AV version or the regular one but I'd like to know either way.

Thanks,
BGC
You shouldn't have any problems using a WD GP drive in your Series2. The Intellipark issue (unable to boot or reboot from the menu) ended with drives manufactured after September 15th, 2010 (and even earlier with their A/V line of drives). If you were to purchase one today it would almost certainly have been built after that and you wouldn't have to worry about adjusting it (although it's fairly simple).

With respect to WD's A/V GP drives, they have one advantage with TiVo: the AAM (Auto Acoustic Management) is set to 128, the quietest level. Other WD GP drives are set higher, but they can be adjusted to 128 by using HDDScan. (See the first post on this thread for more info.)

The drives being sold by DVR Dude will work perfectly fine.

Happy upgrading!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:33 AM   #7469
bgc

Has the excessive load/unload cycle count also been fixed or is there still a reason to use WDIdle3 to fix that?

Do the AV drives offer any other benefit since the regular drives can be set to the same AAM value?

I see that the GP drives come with different levels of cache, is there any benefit to getting a drive with cache higher than the 8MB model?

I'll be doing the upgrade myself but I was interested to see Dvr_Dude was using the GP drives, although I'm not sure the EADS drive he listed is still available.

Thanks for the knowledge,
BGC
bgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #7470
richsadams

Quote:
Has the excessive load/unload cycle count also been fixed or is there still a reason to use WDIdle3 to fix that?
Unknown. However there haven't been any reported issues for a couple of years. The drives in our Series3, TiVo HD and Premiere XL have been flawless w/o adjusting the Intellipark setting. You could certainly set the timeout to the recommended five minutes (if it would mean some peace of mind) w/o any known ill effects.

Quote:
Do the AV drives offer any other benefit since the regular drives can be set to the same AAM value?
No.

Quote:
I see that the GP drives come with different levels of cache, is there any benefit to getting a drive with cache higher than the 8MB model?
No.

Happy upgrading!