Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #7381
mmoustakas
geek dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
dd will make your new drive think that it's the same size as the old one, because it copies the very first part of the drive where that info is stored.

I don't think that's what you had in mind.

Is that Weaknees cd the one with copykern on it? If so, don't use it for anything else. Use the MFS Live cd v1.4 from mfslive.org It should be happy as /dev/sda

When you do use the other cd for copykern, boot from it, do ls -l (those are lowercase L's) to see what directories it creates in memory when it boots, there should be a /cdrom one, then mount the cd before you run copykern.

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sda /cdrom

That way copykern will actually run instead of just appearing to.
Quote:
Are you using the same computer to do the TiVo drive wrangling that you use to read and post here, or are they two separate machines?

The computer you are using to drive wrangle, how many IDE devices can you hook up to it? You get 2 devices for each IDE 40 pin header on the motherboard.

How many SATA devices can you hook to it?

Before you started hooking TiVo drives to it, did it already have a hard drive running an operating system installed? Is it IDE or SATA? How big? How much free space left?

The 2 drives you've been using in the TiVo, how big is each one?

You're replacing them with 2 1TB drives, correct?
GIDDYUP! ahem...I am using a different computer for posting. The wrangling computer can handle four IDE devices (and no Sata...the computer is old as well, I am using SATA adapters on the two new drives), which is why I was trying to get the CDROM on the usb adapter for #5 (two original drives and two new).

The old drives are the original 40 Gb A drive and the added 120 gb drive. My only hope at this point that dd might work is that I may not have expanded the drives back when I upgraded and married the second...but I don't remember any more.

If dd does not work or I give up on it, I was thinking of having the two original drives, one new drive, and the cd-rom on the IDEs...and then having the second new drive on the usb adapter and seeing if I can get the live winmfs to work with that.
mmoustakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #7382
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoustakas View Post
GIDDYUP! ahem...I am using a different computer for posting. The wrangling computer can handle four IDE devices (and no Sata...the computer is old as well, I am using SATA adapters on the two new drives), which is why I was trying to get the CDROM on the usb adapter for #5 (two original drives and two new).

The old drives are the original 40 Gb A drive and the added 120 gb drive. My only hope at this point that dd might work is that I may not have expanded the drives back when I upgraded and married the second...but I don't remember any more.

If dd does not work or I give up on it, I was thinking of having the two original drives, one new drive, and the cd-rom on the IDEs...and then having the second new drive on the usb adapter and seeing if I can get the live winmfs to work with that.
WinMFS is the one that runs as a program inside of Windows, which means you have to boot Windows to run it, which means one of your IDE or SATA "places" is taken up with the hard drive from which you boot Windows.

The MFS Live cd boots into a Linux command line environment.

It has dd_rescue, pdisk, backup, restore, mfsinfo, mfsadd, and some other helpful stuff, like hdparm.

It doesn't (as far as I know) have copykern.

Hook up the 40 as hda and the 120 as hdb

Boot from the MFS Live cd, which by now you should have downloaded from mfslive.org and burned a copy of, because it's handy to have around.

pdisk -l /dev/hda

read the results

then

pdisk -l /dev/hdb

and see if you've expanded that drive fully, which I strongly suspect you have.

Then

mfsinfo /dev/hda /dev/hdb

should tell you how much expanding you can still do.

If you only have one or two pair of MFS partitions on the 40, you might be able to expand its 1TB replacement.

Going back and re-reading some old how-to's, perhaps mfsadd will be able to take the 1TB drive with the dd of the 40GB's image and rewrite the size and partition information as well as expand it.

If so, then perhaps you'll be able to dd (although I still prefer dd_rescue with the -v option--that's v for verbose--) the 120 to the second 1Tb drive and use mfsadd to expand and to correct the first part of the drive.

Or you may have to dd the second old drive to the second new drive and run mfsadd on the pair of them simultaneously since the two images are linked.

I'm afraid I don't have enough spare drives and stuff to run the experiment myself just now.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #7383
mmoustakas
geek dad

oh boy

WinMFS is the one that runs as a program inside of Windows, which means you have to boot Windows to run it, which means one of your IDE or SATA "places" is taken up with the hard drive from which you boot Windows.

The MFS Live cd boots into a Linux command line environment.

It has dd_rescue, pdisk, backup, restore, mfsinfo, mfsadd, and some other helpful stuff, like hdparm.

It doesn't (as far as I know) have copykern.

Hook up the 40 as hda and the 120 as hdb

Boot from the MFS Live cd, which by now you should have downloaded from mfslive.org and burned a copy of, because it's handy to have around.

pdisk -l /dev/hda

read the results

then

pdisk -l /dev/hdb

and see if you've expanded that drive fully, which I strongly suspect you have.

Then

should tell you how much expanding you can still do.

If you only have one or two pair of MFS partitions on the 40, you might be able to expand its 1TB replacement.

Going back and re-reading some old how-to's, perhaps mfsadd will be able to take the 1TB drive with the dd of the 40GB's image and rewrite the size and partition information as well as expand it.

If so, then perhaps you'll be able to dd (although I still prefer dd_rescue with the -v option--that's v for verbose--) the 120 to the second 1Tb drive and use mfsadd to expand and to correct the first part of the drive.

Or you may have to dd the second old drive to the second new drive and run mfsadd on the pair of them simultaneously since the two images are linked.

I'm afraid I don't have enough spare drives and stuff to run the experiment myself just now.[/quote]

Okay...so the dd copy and mfsadd thing did not work...but I finally figured out what you were originally suggesting as far as using the livemfs cd and using the usb adapter to connect the fifth thing I needed...(two original drives, two new drives, plus cd rom to boot from). I did "backup -qTao - /dev/hda /dev/sda | restore -s 128 -xzi - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd"...and I got a few I/O errors early on, but it finished and seemed happy...

...but now that I am trying to boot the tivo, it was sitting on the "a few minutes more" then I tried some kickstart codes...and I got a external drive disconnected error a few times...and then I got a GSOD loop for a while...then stuck on GSOD and the SATA adapter HHD activity lights are not doing anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Last edited by mmoustakas : 03-13-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #7384
unitron

Quote:
Okay...so the dd copy and mfsadd thing did not work...but I finally figured out what you were originally suggesting as far as using the livemfs cd and using the usb adapter to connect the fifth thing I needed...(two original drives, two new drives, plus cd rom to boot from). I did "backup -qTao - /dev/hda /dev/sda | restore -s 128 -xzi - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd"...and I got a few I/O errors early on, but it finished and seemed happy...

...but now that I am trying to boot the tivo, it was sitting on the "a few minutes more" then I tried some kickstart codes...and I got a external drive disconnected error a few times...and then I got a GSOD loop for a while...then stuck on GSOD and the SATA adapter HHD activity lights are not doing anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...
Never use the -q option, it only hides information from you.

You need to run

mfsinfo /dev/hdc /dev/hdd to see if the combination of the two new drives is recognized as a valid TiVo "set".

(I'm assuming that your new first drive is connected as master on your second IDE channel and the new second drive is connected as slave on that same channel. This seems to be the way that you originally had them, as hdc and hdd.)

That missing external drive message is one you shouldn't be seeing on a Series 2 (they didn't offer that option 'til the Series 3), but I saw it once on mine, so it's buried in the software somewhere.

I suspect it got triggered by something not right with the second drive or something not right with the way the first drive looks for it.

Try this. Read all the way to the end first. Then read it again. Then start moving hardware around.

Hook up just the cd drive via the USB adapter, and make sure you can set the BIOS to boot from it first, with the MFS Live cd v1.4 in it.

Shut down with

poweroff

Then hook up the 40 as primary master (it'll be detected as /dev/hda) and the 120 as primary slave (/dev/hdb). Double check the jumper settings on the drive.

Hook up the new drives and adapters as secondary master and slave.

If they're identical except for serial number, it doesn't matter which is which yet, 'cause you'll overwrite everything on both.

(Do something to make it easy to tell which is which. like a piece of masking tape or a patch of white-out or liquid paper where it'll be easy to remove if ever necessary and use a magic marker/sharpie to mark the master as "A" and the slave as "B". That's TiVo A and B, not Linux hda and hdb.)

Check the jumpers on your adapters (you never said which ones you got). Even if they have a cable select, go ahead and set one for master and the other for slave. If you're using an 80-conductor 40 pin IDE cable, put the master on the end (black plug) and the slave on the middle (grey plug), and the blue or green or day-glo orange or whatever plug goes to the motherboard.

Boot with the MFS Live cd v1.4.

It'll offer you 4 choices. For a Series 2 you can just hit ENTER to choose the default.

Use SHIFT+PAGE UP to scroll back up through all that stuff that flew by as it booted.

(and SHIFT+PAGE DOWN to go the other way)

You should find a section where the 40 is identified as hda, the 120 as hdb, and the two 1TB drives as hdc and hdd.

If it gives the serial numbers for the drives, make sure the 1TB you have set as secondary master is recognized as hdc and the other as hdd.

If it doesn't do serial numbers

hdparm -i /dev/hdc

should show you the serial number, if not try again with an uppercase i

hdparm -I /dev/hdc

If the right drive is in the right place, proceed.

(do not use hdparm for anything else or with any other "-letterORnumber" options, although sometime when you have NO hard drives attached you can do hdparm -h to see all the scary things it can do with the other options)

To make sure that your original Tivo "set" is still OK

Should show a bunch of stuff and end with something about being able to expand ? more times, where ? will be a single number.

Now

backup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | restore -s 500 -pi - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

That's right, leave out the -q, leave out the -r and the number that went with it, leave out the -x, and leave out the -z.

If that works, when it finally finishes,

pdisk -l /dev/hdc

(that's a lowercase 'L' following the hyphen)

Should show some partions.

Then

pdisk -l /dev/hdd

Should also show some partions, but not as many.

then

mfsinfo /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

should give you an error message about missing header or something.

That's OK.

Type

reboot

and hit ENTER

it'll reboot. (hit enter for the default boot choice again)

Do

again.

You should get something like you got for

If everything's good, type

poweroff

Disconnect the 40 and the 120

Disconnect the two new drives and hook them up in the Tivo.

Boot up the TiVo and see if everything works and try playing a few of your saved recordings, not all the way through, just make sure they'll start and run.

Then go to TiVo Central, Messages and Settings, Restart or Reset System, Restart the TiVo DVR, three Thumbs Down and Enter and pull the power plug as soon as the screen goes blank before it starts up again.

Put the new drives back in the computer as hdc and hdd

Boot with same cd, default choice.

type

mfsadd -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

If it balks or throws you any kind of warning message, do this instead

mfsadd -X /dev/hdc

and when that finishes

mfsadd -X /dev/hdd

and then try

again and make sure everything's still good.

If so, poweroff and try in the TiVo again.

If not, report back in detail what went wrong at what point in the process.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #7385
mmoustakas
geek dad

Quote:
Never use the -q option, it only hides information from you.

You need to run

mfsinfo /dev/hdc /dev/hdd to see if the combination of the two new drives is recognized as a valid TiVo "set".

(I'm assuming that your new first drive is connected as master on your second IDE channel and the new second drive is connected as slave on that same channel. This seems to be the way that you originally had them, as hdc and hdd.)

That missing external drive message is one you shouldn't be seeing on a Series 2 (they didn't offer that option 'til the Series 3), but I saw it once on mine, so it's buried in the software somewhere.

I suspect it got triggered by something not right with the second drive or something not right with the way the first drive looks for it.

Try this. Read all the way to the end first. Then read it again. Then start moving hardware around.

Hook up just the cd drive via the USB adapter, and make sure you can set the BIOS to boot from it first, with the MFS Live cd v1.4 in it.

Shut down with

poweroff

Then hook up the 40 as primary master (it'll be detected as /dev/hda) and the 120 as primary slave (/dev/hdb). Double check the jumper settings on the drive.

Hook up the new drives and adapters as secondary master and slave.

If they're identical except for serial number, it doesn't matter which is which yet, 'cause you'll overwrite everything on both.

(Do something to make it easy to tell which is which. like a piece of masking tape or a patch of white-out or liquid paper where it'll be easy to remove if ever necessary and use a magic marker/sharpie to mark the master as "A" and the slave as "B". That's TiVo A and B, not Linux hda and hdb.)

Check the jumpers on your adapters (you never said which ones you got). Even if they have a cable select, go ahead and set one for master and the other for slave. If you're using an 80-conductor 40 pin IDE cable, put the master on the end (black plug) and the slave on the middle (grey plug), and the blue or green or day-glo orange or whatever plug goes to the motherboard.

Boot with the MFS Live cd v1.4.

It'll offer you 4 choices. For a Series 2 you can just hit ENTER to choose the default.

Use SHIFT+PAGE UP to scroll back up through all that stuff that flew by as it booted.

(and SHIFT+PAGE DOWN to go the other way)

You should find a section where the 40 is identified as hda, the 120 as hdb, and the two 1TB drives as hdc and hdd.

If it gives the serial numbers for the drives, make sure the 1TB you have set as secondary master is recognized as hdc and the other as hdd.

If it doesn't do serial numbers

hdparm -i /dev/hdc

should show you the serial number, if not try again with an uppercase i

hdparm -I /dev/hdc

If the right drive is in the right place, proceed.

(do not use hdparm for anything else or with any other "-letterORnumber" options, although sometime when you have NO hard drives attached you can do hdparm -h to see all the scary things it can do with the other options)

To make sure that your original Tivo "set" is still OK

Should show a bunch of stuff and end with something about being able to expand ? more times, where ? will be a single number.

Now

backup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | restore -s 500 -pi - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

That's right, leave out the -q, leave out the -r and the number that went with it, leave out the -x, and leave out the -z.

If that works, when it finally finishes,

pdisk -l /dev/hdc

(that's a lowercase 'L' following the hyphen)

Should show some partions.

Then

pdisk -l /dev/hdd

Should also show some partions, but not as many.

then

should give you an error message about missing header or something.

That's OK.

Type

reboot

and hit ENTER

it'll reboot. (hit enter for the default boot choice again)

Do

again.

You should get something like you got for

If everything's good, type

poweroff

Disconnect the 40 and the 120

Disconnect the two new drives and hook them up in the Tivo.

Boot up the TiVo and see if everything works and try playing a few of your saved recordings, not all the way through, just make sure they'll start and run.

Then go to TiVo Central, Messages and Settings, Restart or Reset System, Restart the TiVo DVR, three Thumbs Down and Enter and pull the power plug as soon as the screen goes blank before it starts up again.

Put the new drives back in the computer as hdc and hdd

Boot with same cd, default choice.

type

mfsadd -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

If it balks or throws you any kind of warning message, do this instead

mfsadd -X /dev/hdc

and when that finishes

mfsadd -X /dev/hdd

and then try

again and make sure everything's still good.

If so, poweroff and try in the TiVo again.

If not, report back in detail what went wrong at what point in the process.
Okay, so I followed your detailed instructions (thanks a ton by the way!), msinfo told me I could expand 3 more times, so I assume the original drive set is still good. Before I forget, I am using the sata adapters from weaknees (didn't see any obvious markings on them to share however).

But when I got to the main event (backup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | restore -s 500 -pi - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd), it balked immediately saying "unrecognized backup" and something about using "-E" instead of "-s". I checked the command twice to make sure it was correct...which is not to say I still didn't do something wrong.
Thanks again,
Matt
Old 03-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #7386
unitron

Quote:
Okay, so I followed your detailed instructions (thanks a ton by the way!), msinfo told me I could expand 3 more times, so I assume the original drive set is still good. Before I forget, I am using the sata adapters from weaknees (didn't see any obvious markings on them to share however).

But when I got to the main event (backup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | restore -s 500 -pi - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd), it balked immediately saying "unrecognized backup" and something about using "-E" instead of "-s". I checked the command twice to make sure it was correct...which is not to say I still didn't do something wrong.:eek:
Thanks again,
Matt

(If you'd installed TiVo Desktop and transferred all your shows when I first suggested it, you'd be done by now)

The "which adapter works" thread I provided a link to elsewhere says the Weaknees uses the JMicron chipset.

I've been doing some research (the middle of which I am still in) and your early S2 may or may not have LBA48 support.

Put the original drives back in the Tivo and go to sytem information and write down which software version it's using and post that here.

After that, by way of experiment from which we may learn something, while I'm doing more google-fu, if you want to, you can put the Tivo original A and B drives back at hda and hdb, one of the SATAs at hdc, and do a truncated* backup | restore (that | thing is called a pipe, by the way) from hda hdb to hdc, and see if that works and runs in the TiVo.

As long as you don't overwrite the 40 and the 120, we can screw around with the new drives over and over.

How much free hard drive space do you have on your other computer, by the way?

*http://mfslive.org/fullguide.htm

Old 03-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #7387
vtogao

Western Digital Av-gp Wd10evds. Is This Drive Suppose To Be 5400 Or 7200 Rpm? Thanks
vtogao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #7388
vtogao

Do You Know The Diference In Wd10evcs And Wd10evds ? Thanks
vtogao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #7389
mmoustakas
geek dad

Quote:
(If you'd installed TiVo Desktop and transferred all your shows when I first suggested it, you'd be done by now)

The "which adapter works" thread I provided a link to elsewhere says the Weaknees uses the JMicron chipset.

I've been doing some research (the middle of which I am still in) and your early S2 may or may not have LBA48 support.

Put the original drives back in the Tivo and go to sytem information and write down which software version it's using and post that here.

After that, by way of experiment from which we may learn something, while I'm doing more google-fu, if you want to, you can put the Tivo original A and B drives back at hda and hdb, one of the SATAs at hdc, and do a truncated* backup | restore (that | thing is called a pipe, by the way) from hda hdb to hdc, and see if that works and runs in the TiVo.

As long as you don't overwrite the 40 and the 120, we can screw around with the new drives over and over.

How much free hard drive space do you have on your other computer, by the way?

*http://mfslive.org/fullguide.htm
If the original drives are still okay, I may have to go the route of transferring everything and then putting it back...but would still like to think that this route will work (he said with stubborn and potentially moronic optimism).

I will try the truncated route when I get home. I did what I believe is a truncated backup early on via winmfs just in case, but have not tried to put it on a drive yet (but I will just do it though mfslive as you suggest).

I have enough free space to swallow up all of the shows or both original drives I believe (most of a 500 g drive, as well as several smaller ones).

I just hope the original drives still work...I have not tested them back in the tivo since I removed them saturday...
Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #7390
unitron

Quote:
If the original drives are still okay, I may have to go the route of transferring everything and then putting it back...but would still like to think that this route will work (he said with stubborn and potentially moronic optimism).

I will try the truncated route when I get home. I did what I believe is a truncated backup early on via winmfs just in case, but have not tried to put it on a drive yet (but I will just do it though mfslive as you suggest).

I have enough free space to swallow up all of the shows or both original drives I believe (most of a 500 g drive, as well as several smaller ones).

I just hope the original drives still work...I have not tested them back in the tivo since I removed them saturday...
Thanks again!
We should have moved this discussion to its own thread back at the beginning, but I guess we're stuck here now.

Just remember, backups made with Win MFS work with it and backups made with MFS Live work with it. Stuff made with the old MFS Tools, I ain't sure.

You can always install TiVo Desktop and copy the stuff from your 40 and 120 just as a precaution (and a place from which to copy them to another Tivo if you get one) and still be stubborn about making -Tao work!

You could try

backup -Tao /dev/null /dev/hda /dev/hdb

which will direct the output of the backup into "nowhere".

The reason to send it to /dev/null (whatever follows the o in -Tao is the destination for the output of the command) is to test the backup part of the command pipe command thingie all by itself.

You'll probably still get an error message, but we can be more sure that it is caused by the backup part and not the restore part.

The other change from what you were doing previously is that the hyphen is left out following the o in -Tao (but the one before the T is not left out) .

In the way you were doing it before, which is correct for what you were trying to do, that hyphen tells it to send the output of the command (the o) to "standard output" (a place in memory). The -i - you use as an option for the restore command tells it to get its input from "standard input", which is the hyphen following the -i. The pipe, the | symbol, tells it to grab the output of the backup command and use it as the input of the restore command.

Last edited by unitron : 03-15-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: correcting description of stdout and stdin, or something like that
Old 03-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #7391
mmoustakas
geek dad

Quote:
We should have moved this discussion to its own thread back at the beginning, but I guess we're stuck here now.

Just remember, backups made with Win MFS work with it and backups made with MFS Live work with it. Stuff made with the old MFS Tools, I ain't sure.

You can always install TiVo Desktop and copy the stuff from your 40 and 120 just as a precaution (and a place from which to copy them to another Tivo if you get one) and still be stubborn about making -Tao work!

You could try

The reason to send it to /dev/null (whatever follows the o in -Tao is the destination for the output of the command) is to test the backup part of the command pipe command thingie all by itself.

You'll probably still get an error message, but we can be more sure that it is caused by the backup part and not the restore part.

The other change from what you were doing previously is that the hyphen is left out following the o in -Tao (but the one before the T is not left out) .

In the way you were doing it before, which is correct for what you were trying to do, that hyphen tells it to send the output of the command (the o) to "standard output" (a place in memory). The -i - you use as an option for the restore command tells it to get its input from "standard input", which is the hyphen following the -i. Standard output and standard input are sort of the same thing, or at least the same location in memory.
Okay,
I plugged the original drives back in and things worked fine...the system version is 9.3.2b-01-2-140.

I will try the truncated backup soon. I am still thinking that the fact that I got I/O errors during all of my full copy attempts may be the issue...but the drive works fine in the tivo so maybe not.

So the MFSlive ICG is leading me astray with "backup -qTao - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd | restore -s 128 -xzi - /dev/hda /dev/hdb" ?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #7392
mmoustakas
geek dad

Quote:
You could try

Okay, I tried this, and it is working (backing up to nowhere?) including the buffer i/o errors on hda (driveready seekcomplete error, uncorrectable error, etc.)

I also tried the ICG with the option to not save shows (backup -f 9999 -qso - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | restore -s 128 -xzpi - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd) and got even more buffer i/o errors and the tivo either just sits in "a few minutes more" or gives me that darn external drive removed thing. I tried hitting "clear" to remove the external drive as a test...did not help, the same message came up again after it rebooted.

I was going to follow the instructions that have you copy a backup file to /dos...but for some reason my main c: drive refuses to boot with the original tivo drives connected at the same time now...not sure that the hell that means.

Maybe I should try some kickstart codes on the original drives and/or a diagnostic program on the A drive via the PC and see if I can get rid of the errors?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by mmoustakas : 03-14-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #7393
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtogao View Post
Western Digital Av-gp Wd10evds. Is This Drive Suppose To Be 5400 Or 7200 Rpm? Thanks
All WD GP "green" hard drives are variable speed depending on load. TiVo OEM hard drives are WD A/V GP. There's no advantage in using "higher performance" (i.e. faster and/or with more cache, etc.) hard drives in TiVo.

Quote:
With respect to using them in TiVo? Nothing.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #7394
unitron

Quote:
Okay, I tried this, and it is working (backing up to nowhere?) including the buffer i/o errors on hda (driveready seekcomplete error, uncorrectable error, etc.)

I also tried the ICG with the option to not save shows (backup -f 9999 -qso - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | restore -s 128 -xzpi - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd) and got even more buffer i/o errors and the tivo either just sits in "a few minutes more" or gives me that darn external drive removed thing. I tried hitting "clear" to remove the external drive as a test...did not help, the same message came up again after it rebooted.

I was going to follow the instructions that have you copy a backup file to /dos...but for some reason my main c: drive refuses to boot with the original tivo drives connected at the same time now...not sure that the hell that means.

Maybe I should try some kickstart codes on the original drives and/or a diagnostic program on the A drive via the PC and see if I can get rid of the errors?

Thanks,
Matt
Still working on the answers to your other post.

If you have a USB thumb drive at least 500MB or bigger, and USB ports on your TiVo wrangling computer (TWC), you can use it as a destination for your truncated backup image (and it sounds like your 40 and/or 120 aren't going to last much longer). Then you can copy from it to your other computer.

Hook the thumb drive to your other computer and format it FAT32.

Then, with the original TiVo drives hooked to the TWC, boot with the MFS Live cd, and then insert the thumb drive.

It should recognize it right away, and if the cd drive is already designated /dev/sda, it'll make it /dev/sdb.

You might have to hit 'enter' to get back to the command prompt.

The directory /dos should already have been created in memory by the boot cd.

Mount the thumb drive's partition

mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /dos

the -t means 'file system type' and then you specify it, in this case 'vfat', virtual file allocation table, which is how it catagorizes FAT32.

sdb1 is the first (and in this case, only) partition on sdb, and you're telling it to mount it to the /dos directory.

Then do your backup to /dos/backup.bak, which will write a file on the thumb drive named backup.bak

You can use a different filename if you wish, like TCD240.bak, or whatever is best to make sure you know what it is just by seeing the name.

more later

Old 03-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #7395
mmoustakas
geek dad

Quote:
Still working on the answers to your other post.

If you have a USB thumb drive at least 500MB or bigger, and USB ports on your TiVo wrangling computer (TWC), you can use it as a destination for your truncated backup image (and it sounds like your 40 and/or 120 aren't going to last much longer). Then you can copy from it to your other computer.

Hook the thumb drive to your other computer and format it FAT32.

Then, with the original TiVo drives hooked to the TWC, boot with the MFS Live cd, and then insert the thumb drive.

It should recognize it right away, and if the cd drive is already designated /dev/sda, it'll make it /dev/sdb.

You might have to hit 'enter' to get back to the command prompt.

The directory /dos should already have been created in memory by the boot cd.

Mount the thumb drive's partition

mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /dos

the -t means 'file system type' and then you specify it, in this case 'vfat', virtual file allocation table, which is how it catagorizes FAT32.

sdb1 is the first (and in this case, only) partition on sdb, and you're telling it to mount it to the /dos directory.

Then do your backup to /dos/backup.bak, which will write a file on the thumb drive named backup.bak

You can use a different filename if you wish, like TCD240.bak, or whatever is best to make sure you know what it is just by seeing the name.

more later
I left the usb stick at work...I tried kickstart 58 on the original drive, but it does not seem to have improved things...

I also have the backup file of the tivo when it was still brand new and unhacked...but that seems fairly desperate as I will lose everything.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #7396
L David Matheny

Quote:
It may not make much difference in a TiVo, but C = 16MB cache and D = 32MB cache. I used a WD10EVCS in my TiVo HD and a WD20EVDS in my Premiere.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #7397
unitron

Quote:
I left the usb stick at work...I tried kickstart 58 on the original drive, but it does not seem to have improved things...

I also have the backup file of the tivo when it was still brand new and unhacked...but that seems fairly desperate as I will lose everything.
While the TiVo is still working (I'm assuming you have a way for it to connect with your home network), go ahead and install TiVo Desktop (the free version) on your "internet" computer, and start transferring shows. Once they're safely copied, the pressure's off and we can proceed.

Any show 2 hours or shorter should come in under the 4GB file size limit that FAT32 partitions have. Copy the ones you care about most first.

If your computer has NTFS partitions, you don't have to worry about the 4GB limit.

If you have more than one partition on that drive you can change the location of where it puts the recordings from the default, which is somewhere on the C: drive.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:12 AM   #7398
unitron

Quote:
Okay,
I plugged the original drives back in and things worked fine...the system version is 9.3.2b-01-2-140.

I will try the truncated backup soon. I am still thinking that the fact that I got I/O errors during all of my full copy attempts may be the issue...but the drive works fine in the tivo so maybe not.

So the MFSlive ICG is leading me astray with "backup -qTao - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd | restore -s 128 -xzi - /dev/hda /dev/hdb" ?

Thanks,
Matt
That's a new enough version of the software that it can handle 1TB drives, so that's one worry off of our minds.

That also means no need to run copykern.

Like I said, the -q option just hides information, so I don't like it. It won't affect whether things work or not if it's used or not, but it could have an impact on your understanding of what's going on.

The TiVo has duplicate partitions of the bootstrap, kernel, and root partitons as a safety fallback (and when it updates the software, as it no doubt did to get your S2 up to version 9, it writes it to the set not being used at the time, then changes its directions to itself of from where to boot, and reboots itself in the middle of the night, and, abbra cadabra, it's now using the updated software).

The -z option "zeros out" those duplicate partitions. In other words, on the new drive it puts the partitions there, but doesn't put anything in them, so if your Tivo ever needs to fall back to them, you're screwed.

We need to find out if that model of Series 2 uses the S1 partition layout or the layout used by later model S2s. That will determine whether to use the -p option when restoring.

The way to do that is

pdisk -l /dev/hda

assuming you've got the 40 as hda

(and remember, that option is a lowercase L)

If it's using the S1 layout, the first partition will be the Apple Partition Map and the second one, that starts at sector 64, will be the bootstrap 1 partition.

If it's using the S2 layout, the partition that starts at sector 64 will be one of the MFS media partitions, and the bootstrap partition will be farther (further?) down the list.

If it's using the S1 layout, I assume that the motherboard is configured to expect that layout, the same way Series 1 motherboards are, and that means don't use the -p option.

If the 40 is using the S2 style layout, then I'm pretty sure it came that way from the factory and that means the -p option should be used.

As for the -s option, which specifies the size to make the swap partition on the new drive, it can't hurt to make it bigger than 128, and it might help. Apparently the maximum it can use is 511. (Those are MBs, by the way)

The -x tells it to expand the drive or drives on the restore side of the pipe (that's the | which tells it to take the output of the command on its left and use that as the input for the command on its right).

I've seen times when it causes the 'target drive(s) not big enough' error, and leaving it out and then running mfsadd later worked.

That command string apparently assumes that you've got the original drives hooked to the secondary IDE controller (hdc and hdd) and the new drives hooked to the primary (hda and hdb), which is the opposite of what you've been doing. If you don't keep careful track of which drive is which, you might wind up copying the blank or screwed-up new drives onto the original drives, leaving you royally hosed.

If, in fact, you had them "reversed", the backup command might have failed because it was trying to read the new drives instead of the old ones.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #7399
unitron

Quote:
Well it looks like I was using an old mfs disk I had from the original upgrade instead of the weaknees large disk support one (duh), but then my setup using the usb adapter for the CD Rom would not work with either the weaknees or winmfs boot disks (they boot, but then go looking for the cd-rom and cannot find it during the rest of the linux startup evidently). So I rearranged things so that just the old A drive, new A drive and CD-Rom are connect, and am using the weaknees disk to DD copy A to new A...and hopefully do the same with the B. Waiting now...since there is no progress bar...just flashing HHD lights.

If this works, it will be way cheaper than a new tivo, with more space than a new one. I will likely get a new one once we get a HD TV, but I will still want to have this tivo on another TV...

I will put the adapter drive info in the correct thread when/if I actually get it working.
And another thing about running dd

dd_rescue, in addition to having the verbose option, -v, which will show you all the progress stuff that dd won't, will also handle problems/errors much better than dd

Old 03-15-2011, 01:10 AM   #7400
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
It may not make much difference in a TiVo, but C = 16MB cache and D = 32MB cache. I used a WD10EVCS in my TiVo HD and a WD20EVDS in my Premiere.
You are correct sir. Your TiVo HD had a WD1600AVBS OEM hard drive with 2MB of cache. Your TiVo Premiere had a WD3200AVVS OEM hard drive which has 8MB. TiVo doesn't require anything more with respect to cache nor does anything greater enhance performance.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #7401
mmoustakas
geek dad

Quote:

dd_rescue, in addition to having the verbose option, -v, which will show you all the progress stuff that dd won't, will also handle problems/errors much better than dd
So should I try to do the dd_rescue to copy each disk to the new disks? What is the correct syntax for the dd_rescue -v in that case?

As far as the ICG example above...I did not get the drives backwards...the example I pasted in was from when I had the drives switched physically before I was following your instructions.

I will take my usb stick home and try the backup to it this evening (is that process really any different than the direct disk to disk method?). Also, I have the shows transferring to the PC via tivo desktop, but I am still being stubborn...just paranoid and stubborn!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #7402
unitron

Quote:
So should I try to do the dd_rescue to copy each disk to the new disks? What is the correct syntax for the dd_rescue -v in that case?

As far as the ICG example above...I did not get the drives backwards...the example I pasted in was from when I had the drives switched physically before I was following your instructions.

I will take my usb stick home and try the backup to it this evening (is that process really any different than the direct disk to disk method?). Also, I have the shows transferring to the PC via tivo desktop, but I am still being stubborn...just paranoid and stubborn!

Thanks,
Matt

dd_rescue -h will show you all the options neither of us has any business messing with, as well as the basics, which is/are

command option(s) source drive target drive

so if you want a bit for bit copy of drive purple to drive yellow and you happened to have purple connected as hda and yellow connected as hdb and you wanted it to work out the details by itself but keep you informed

dd_rescue -v /dev/hda /dev/hdb

Old 03-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #7403
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Guys, I'm almost at my wit's end. My S3 Drive was going bad with several green screens so I got the latest instantcake for S3 and a WD10EARS drive. Baked it fine, but when I put it in the Tivo it just sits there on the "Welcome, Powering up..." screen. I know it's not the tivo because the old drive at least rolls over past that screen. I'm not sure what I've done wrong. The image I have from DVRUpgrade is instantcake-tcd64...9.2a-01-2-648. Any ideas?

-D

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #7404
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Guys, I'm almost at my wit's end. My S3 Drive was going bad with several green screens so I got the latest instantcake for S3 and a WD10EARS drive. Baked it fine, but when I put it in the Tivo it just sits there on the "Welcome, Powering up..." screen. I know it's not the tivo because the old drive at least rolls over past that screen. I'm not sure what I've done wrong. The image I have from DVRUpgrade is instantcake-tcd64...9.2a-01-2-648. Any ideas?

-D
Intellipark may be the problem.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #7405
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO

Intellipark may be the problem.
Bah! I need to read more. Thanks!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #7406
richsadams

Quote:

-D
When TiVo hangs on the "Welcome" screen it means that the motherboard cannot communicate with the hard drive.

As ThAbtO suggests, the Intellipark "feature" of the WD10EARS could be the problem if your drive was manufactured prior to Sept. 15, 2010. Let us know what the manufacture date of your drive is and if you adjust the Intellipark setting...and of course if it works. TIA!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #7407
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

It was the intellipark. I got the boot CD and disabled it. Everything working fine. Now my question is, can I use the online season pass manager to set it up on the new drive? I didn't have a backup of the old.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #7408
richsadams

Quote:
It was the intellipark. I got the boot CD and disabled it. Everything working fine. Now my question is, can I use the online season pass manager to set it up on the new drive? I didn't have a backup of the old.
Glad to hear things are working now. You should be able to have the online SP manager populate your TiVo again...it would recognize it as the same unit. In fact that may happen automagically, I'm not sure. I know it did when you signed up for Guru Guides or KidZone.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #7409
mmoustakas
geek dad

Quote:

So I tried dd_rescue twice, once with just -v and once with both -A and -v, and I still get 224 errors for I think 112k of data on the A drive (the B drive seems to go without any issue). When I try and do MFSinfo on the new drives, it says header data corrupt. But I tried MFSadd and it completed successfully (MFSinfo gave an error after that as well when I tried it). I did not even try and put these into the tivo again as I figure if MFSinfo is not recognizing the new drives properly the tivo won't either (right?).

I tried doing a truncated backup file to usb stick, but I get all of the same I/O errors during that process, so it is not going to help.

I ran the WD dos diagnostics on the original A drive, and it says everything is fine.

Then I tried mfsinfo in winmfs on the new drives, and it seemed fine. So I tried the new drives in the tivo...and it actually booted up! Briefly...I was just looking at the menus and it rebooted and the "external drive" error came up...D'OH!

I tried the fixswap in winmfs, and fix bootpage option1 then 2... none worked, just kept rebooting shortly after it booted to the main menu.

I also tried to restore the winmfs backup (that I made early in the process) to the new drives, but I get that external drive missing error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by mmoustakas : 03-19-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #7410
keenanSR

I plan to re-read the directions in the first post, but I have a quick question. I think I have a failing drive in my 1TB upgraded Series 3. To replace the drive do I need to use the original 250GB drive, or can it be done with the existing 1TB drive? I'll be using the same size drive(1TB).

Thanks
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote