Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #7351
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
I'll clarify.

Go ahead and upload what you need. YOu'll get a URL to give whomever you want to download it. The free version has a small delay built-in. And a limited number of downloads. But it works great.

ETA: Share the URL with them via PM, so somehow the limited number of downloads don't get burned by lookie-loos.
I have it, they need it, I'll let them do as much as possible to make it easy for me to do as little as possible unless it turns out to be beyond their level of expertise, at which point I'd be willing to spend my time to help them.

They don't seem to need it badly enough to have replied yet.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #7352
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I have it, they need it, I'll let them do as much as possible to make it easy for me to do as little as possible unless it turns out to be beyond their level of expertise, at which point I'd be willing to spend my time to help them.

They don't seem to need it badly enough to have replied yet.
With his 1 post is his PM active yet?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #7353
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronchaser2u2 View Post
This might not be the right place to ask this, but I don't have hours to research the appropriate forum to ask this question...
<snip>
Welcome to the forum. The MFSLive.org seems to be working now, but I went ahead and sent you a link to WinMFS via PM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #7354
gwsat

As noted in an earlier post, I just got the WD 1TB eSATA drive that is designed to work with TiVo DVRs. The drive came Monday and thanks to richsadams explicit instructions, I had the new drive setup and running on my S3 in less than half an hour. The only glitch was the S3's failure to find the external drive when I first booted it after installing the drive. The S3 came up perfectly the second time, though. All of the connections had been tight and I did the installation just as Rich had recommended so I can't explain why the drive didn't show up after the first reboot. The installation was still fast and easy, even with the glitch, and I now have 1.25TB of disc storage.

I highly recommend the WD 1TB eSATA drive. I got mine from Amazon for less than $120.00. It appears to be well made, the eSATA cable connectors fit both my S3 and the drive itself snugly, and the drive is as silent as a stone.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #7355
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
As noted in an earlier post, I just got the WD 1TB eSATA drive that is designed to work with TiVo DVRs.
Nice! Enjoy all of that new "real estate".
Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #7356
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Still can't condone the eSata option. 5x or so likelihood of failing than just your single drive, and upgrading the single drive is trivial.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #7357
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
...I'm thinking of taking a chance on a Seagate ST32000542AS for $79.99 before the 10% discount to replace the WD in my Premiere, as well as chance on the the apes at NewEgg warehouse throwing my drive into a box. I have one that works.

Is that a bad idea?
Yes it was. When will I learn? It was packed OK, but I just tried the Seagate drive and it's a DOA clicking toy. So once again I get to RMA, pack, ship and pay $10+ to send it back and wait. So much for my bargain. Never again. It doesn't help to cushion it well if they play hockey with it first.

Another WD20EARS from Amazon works fine. (Note in my sig incrementing 2TB drives in my NAS by one.)

Don't buy drives from NewEgg!

I'm going the RMA the WD drive from the Premeire to Western Digital.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #7358
richsadams

Quote:
Yes it was. When will I learn? It was packed OK, but I just tried the Seagate drive and it's a DOA clicking toy. So once again I get to RMA, pack, ship and pay $10+ to send it back and wait. So much for my bargain. Never again. It doesn't help to cushion it well if they play hockey with it first.

Another WD20EARS from Amazon works fine. (Note in my sig incrementing 2TB drives in my NAS by one.)

After suffering through similar experiences I only buy products that aren't prone to problems...pillows for instance...from Newegg. Amazon's 30 day no questions asked, free return shipping policy is hard to beat.

Sorry to hear about your Seagate experience. Seagate used to have one of the best reps in the business for years. I never had any problems with them. I still have a 500GB Seagate DB35 drive that's over four years old happily humming along. But of the four Seagate drives I've purchased in the last couple of years, three failed (one was DOA like yours). It may be a coincidence but it seems like Seagate's QC plummeted after they purchased Maxtor...or maybe it's not coincidental. In any case, glad to hear your WD drive is getting the job done.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #7359
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
After suffering through similar experiences I only buy products that aren't prone to problems...pillows for instance...from Newegg. Amazon's 30 day no questions asked, free return shipping policy is hard to beat.

Sorry to hear about your Seagate experience. Seagate used to have one of the best reps in the business for years. I never had any problems with them. I still have a 500GB Seagate DB35 drive that's over four years old happily humming along. But of the four Seagate drives I've purchased in the last couple of years, three failed (one was DOA like yours). It may be a coincidence but it seems like Seagate's QC plummeted after they purchased Maxtor...or maybe it's not coincidental. In any case, glad to hear your WD drive is getting the job done.
I've been somewhat leery of Seagate ever since they began re-badging Conner drives. I looked on it as more of an infection than an acquisition.

I get the feeling that swallowing Quantum may have done the same to Maxtor, which means Seagate is now doubly poisoned.

Will we see the same happen to WD with their purchase of Hitachi GST (who sort of used to be IBM's "DeathStar" line)?

Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #7360
richsadams

Quote:
Will we see the same happen to WD with their purchase of Hitachi GST (who sort of used to be IBM's "DeathStar" line)?
That would be sad indeed...the choices are dwindling. FWIW when Seagate was at the top of their game, WD's QC was near the bottom of the pile...now they are near or at the top. How times change.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #7361
lrhorer

Quote:
After suffering through similar experiences I only buy products that aren't prone to problems...pillows for instance...from Newegg.
I've bought dozens of items, including more than 50 hard drives, from NewEgg. I had one open box motherboard and one OEM hard drive come DOA, plus one RAID controller that failed after a few days. I had to pay shipping for the returns, of course, but the end result was still less expensive than most competing vendors. I'm certainly not unhappy.

Quote:
Amazon's 30 day no questions asked, free return shipping policy is hard to beat.
I've had problems with Amazon once or twice, too, although I have never purchased a hard drive from them. No one is perfect, and I am not saying Amazon is inferior - not by a long shot, one always takes a risk at some level when making a purchase. I woud have to say overall I am quite pleased with both NewEgg and Amazon. There are other vendors of whom I cannot say the same, to put it mildly.

Quote:
Yeah, the one DOA I had from NewEgg was a Seagate, and I recently had four Seagate drives - all two years old - start having trouble simultaneously. They were the only four drives having problems in a twelve drive RAID array. I have several 1G Hitachi DeskStar drives that have great performance, but man do they use a lot of power and run awfully hot. I have to say I really like the WD "green" drives. If top performance is not a big issue, they really seem to be reliable and power stingy. Tuesday evening I just picked up another pair of WD EARS drives (1T and 2T, respectively) at Best Buy to upgrade a pair of my Tivos. I expanded the #2 and #5 partitions to 256M and copied all the data over from smaller drives, using MFSADD to expand the MFS partitions, allowing for insitu scripted upgrades to the TiVos.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #7362
ccrider2

Quote:

If it was DOA.... email them and ask to have that $10 credited to your card. Somewhere on their site they say a DOA item has no return shipping. They will charge you when applying for the RMA, but just ask them later and they will credit you. Done it twice myself.
ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #7363
mmoustakas
geek dad

Question

Quote:
For TiVo the WD10EARS will perform the same as the WD10EURS (or any other A/V dedicated drive) except for acoustics. The AAM of WD10EARS is set to 254 and WD's A/V dedicated drives are set to a quieter 128. You can use HDDSCAN to set the AAM of the WD10EARS to 128. The procedure is simple and outlined in the FAQ.
ARRRRGH...so I have the WD10EARS and SATA adapters, used HDDSCAN to set AAM to 128...and figured out how to get the two original hard drives and the two new WD10EARS drives attached to my computer (had to use a USB adapter to turn my CD-ROM drive into an external to boot mfstools), the drives are recognized as the correct size...I start the mfsbackup command (mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd) which starts to check the drives...but then says there is not enough space on the target drive....DOH!
So would taking some programs off help, or it is just not possible since I have already expanded from one disk to two originally.
Help!
Matt
mmoustakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #7364
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoustakas View Post
ARRRRGH...[snip]....DOH!

So would taking some programs off help, or it is just not possible since I have already expanded from one disk to two originally.
Help!
Matt
No, that wouldn't help.

I think trying to MacGyver SATA drives into a 10 year old (says so here) system (a computer, basically) is a silly exercise. Especially when a 300GB brand new lifetimed premiere should cost you $470 (via their upgrade offer), only a few hundred more than your two drive MacGyver solution. Add $50-80 more, and you can nearly instantly get a single internal drive solution of 150 or 300 hours of HD.

I understand you're not on HD systems yet. If you're seriously considering never going to HD, probably the 300GB stock drive is more than sufficient.

I was right the first time---Premiere is your best solution. You're wife is right to suspect the old hardware---but it's not just the drives that are old.

You may even have $50-100 resale value in the Series 2 if it is still lifetimed, perhaps double that if you do replace the internal drive with a good sized IDE.

Last edited by ThreeSoFar : 03-12-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: add upgrade bit
Old 03-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #7365
unitron

Quote:
ARRRRGH...so I have the WD10EARS and SATA adapters, used HDDSCAN to set AAM to 128...and figured out how to get the two original hard drives and the two new WD10EARS drives attached to my computer (had to use a USB adapter to turn my CD-ROM drive into an external to boot mfstools), the drives are recognized as the correct size...I start the mfsbackup command (mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd) which starts to check the drives...but then says there is not enough space on the target drive....DOH!
Help!
Matt
It would be best to "transfer" (they mean copy) all of your recorded shows via TiVo Desktop to a big enough space on your computer and then do a truncated backup from both drives to one of the new drives, and then add the second new drive and expand.

You're correct, the transfer does take a long time.

Alternatively, you can do what you did before, booting from the MFS Live CD v1.4, but make the -s 250 or 500, leave out the -r (let it do whatever the default is) leave the -x out of it, skip the -z as well.

Then after that succeeds, you can run mfsadd to do what the -x would have done if it had worked.

Then you can use pdisk -l /dev/hdc /dev/hdd to see if you used all of the space on /dev/hdc or if it just duplicated the partitions from /dev/hda at the same size.

Report back.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #7366
unitron

Quote:
Help!
Matt
And another thing.

Go to the

"List of SATA to PATA (IDE) adapters, please add yours "

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

and tell us which TiVo , which drive(s), and which adapter(s), and whether and how well it worked.

And don't let anyone talk you into a Series 3 or 4 until you read up in the other threads here about the problems people have had, and then make an fully-informed decision.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #7367
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
[snip]...
And don't let anyone talk you into a Series 3 or 4 until you read up in the other threads here about the problems people have had, and then make an fully-informed decision.
Agreed, don't do it in ignorance.

However, be sure to take note of all those that have Premieres running fine that are very happy with them (most of whom are using the SDUI not the HDUI). (ETA: we have 2 and sold the third wootbox we got for $550.)

My point is that if you're spending $150 or more to do this upgrade, that adding a few hundred on top of that for the latest technology is a very valid choice, for a 5x jump in CPU speed and potential for more (once the 2nd CPU is enabled). And if you sell the Series 2 with lifetime for $100 or so, even less.

It's also worth pointing out that, despite doing so very slowly over time, TiVo does fix their software issues. There's very little chance that the Premiere HARDWARE is at fault for the current issues. Give it time.

Last edited by ThreeSoFar : 03-12-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: (we have 3...forgot to mention that)
Old 03-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #7368
mmoustakas
geek dad

Quote:
It would be best to "transfer" (they mean copy) all of your recorded shows via TiVo Desktop to a big enough space on your computer and then do a truncated backup from both drives to one of the new drives, and then add the second new drive and expand.

You're correct, the transfer does take a long time.

Alternatively, you can do what you did before, booting from the MFS Live CD v1.4, but make the -s 250 or 500, leave out the -r (let it do whatever the default is) leave the -x out of it, skip the -z as well.

Then after that succeeds, you can run mfsadd to do what the -x would have done if it had worked.

Then you can use pdisk -l /dev/hdc /dev/hdd to see if you used all of the space on /dev/hdc or if it just duplicated the partitions from /dev/hda at the same size.

Report back.
Well it looks like I was using an old mfs disk I had from the original upgrade instead of the weaknees large disk support one (duh), but then my setup using the usb adapter for the CD Rom would not work with either the weaknees or winmfs boot disks (they boot, but then go looking for the cd-rom and cannot find it during the rest of the linux startup evidently). So I rearranged things so that just the old A drive, new A drive and CD-Rom are connect, and am using the weaknees disk to DD copy A to new A...and hopefully do the same with the B. Waiting now...since there is no progress bar...just flashing HHD lights.

If this works, it will be way cheaper than a new tivo, with more space than a new one. I will likely get a new one once we get a HD TV, but I will still want to have this tivo on another TV...

I will put the adapter drive info in the correct thread when/if I actually get it working.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #7369
richsadams

Quote:
FWIW I still like our Series3 over our Premiere XL. Never a problem...always rock solid. Since we're still using the SDUI on the Premiere there's very little difference between the two (except for the additional 1TB of recording space ) the way we use it. YMMV of course.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #7370
unitron

Quote:
Well it looks like I was using an old mfs disk I had from the original upgrade instead of the weaknees large disk support one (duh), but then my setup using the usb adapter for the CD Rom would not work with either the weaknees or winmfs boot disks (they boot, but then go looking for the cd-rom and cannot find it during the rest of the linux startup evidently). So I rearranged things so that just the old A drive, new A drive and CD-Rom are connect, and am using the weaknees disk to DD copy A to new A...and hopefully do the same with the B. Waiting now...since there is no progress bar...just flashing HHD lights.

If this works, it will be way cheaper than a new tivo, with more space than a new one. I will likely get a new one once we get a HD TV, but I will still want to have this tivo on another TV...

I will put the adapter drive info in the correct thread when/if I actually get it working.
dd will make your new drive think that it's the same size as the old one, because it copies the very first part of the drive where that info is stored.

I don't think that's what you had in mind.

Is that Weaknees cd the one with copykern on it? If so, don't use it for anything else. Use the MFS Live cd v1.4 from mfslive.org It should be happy as /dev/sda

When you do use the other cd for copykern, boot from it, do ls -l (those are lowercase L's) to see what directories it creates in memory when it boots, there should be a /cdrom one, then mount the cd before you run copykern.

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sda /cdrom

That way copykern will actually run instead of just appearing to.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #7371
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
FWIW I still like our Series3 over our Premiere XL. Never a problem...always rock solid. Since we're still using the SDUI on the Premiere there's very little difference between the two (except for the additional 1TB of recording space ) the way we use it. YMMV of course.
Understood, and I agree.

When I got our two new Premieres, I chose to sell one of our other four units, two each S3 and HDTiVos, all lifetimed. I sold one of the (1TB upgraded) HD units rather than the (older upgraded) S3 units.

But this guy's got a Series 2. Practically a relic.

Sure, if he can get a lifetimed S3 or HD, he may be better off than the $470 lifetimed S4/Premiere. However: The S3 will require two CableCARDs, not just one. And he'll miss out on the faster (and someday the extra) processor.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #7372
richsadams

Quote:
But this guy's got a Series 2. Practically a relic.
Agreed...a LT S3 would be a good investment.

I'm in a real quandry with respect to that myself. I only bought a one-year sub for our Premiere XL last year (TiVo had a pretty good upgrade offer at the time) and it's about to expire. I was going to go for a LT sub, but now I'm really hesitant and might just go with another one-year. What would you do?
Old 03-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #7373
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Wink

Quote:
Agreed...a LT S3 would be a good investment.

I'm in a real quandry with respect to that myself. I only bought a one-year sub for our Premiere XL last year (TiVo had a pretty good upgrade offer at the time) and it's about to expire. I was going to go for a LT sub, but now I'm really hesitant and might just go with another one-year. What would you do?
Isn't it obvious? I would have lifetimed it when I first got it! (and I did, all three of my wooTiVos).

How much would they charge you now for lifetime? If you can do it for $199, jump on it. At $299, I think it's still worth it. And yeah, you'll just eat the 1Y sub you already paid for--but that's your own damn fault.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #7374
mmoustakas
geek dad

Quote:
dd will make your new drive think that it's the same size as the old one, because it copies the very first part of the drive where that info is stored.

I don't think that's what you had in mind.

Is that Weaknees cd the one with copykern on it? If so, don't use it for anything else. Use the MFS Live cd v1.4 from mfslive.org It should be happy as /dev/sda

When you do use the other cd for copykern, boot from it, do ls -l (those are lowercase L's) to see what directories it creates in memory when it boots, there should be a /cdrom one, then mount the cd before you run copykern.

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sda /cdrom

That way copykern will actually run instead of just appearing to.
Uhhhhh, okay...you are losing me now. I was planning to do dd to both drives...painful as it is to wait without any progress indicator, and then expand them with mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdb.

But you are saying I should boot with the mfslive cd, then use the mount command to get the usb cdrom working...then...then I am not sure?

Thanks!
Matt
Old 03-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #7375
unitron

Quote:
Uhhhhh, okay...you are losing me now. I was planning to do dd to both drives...painful as it is to wait without any progress indicator, and then expand them with mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdb.

But you are saying I should boot with the mfslive cd, then use the mount command to get the usb cdrom working...then...then I am not sure?

Thanks!
Matt:confused:
If you want a progress indicator you should use dd_rescue instead of dd, but that won't solve the problem caused by using dd, because it will do the same thing.

dd will do a bit-for-bit copy of the small drive onto the large drive until it has copied over all of the small drive, then return an End Of File message.

That will leave you with a large drive only partially filled that will report itself as a small drive because it's got the small drive's partition and boot records.

If you try to expand it with mfsadd it will report that it doesn't have room for any more partitions.

I'll be back with more in a little while.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #7376
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:

FWIW, if you can open a second command shell, you can get info on "dd" progress with this command:
Code:
killall -s USR1 dd
It will give you a transfer rate, and total transfer count. I use this frequently when scrubbing a hdd...
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #7377
unitron

Quote:

Thanks!
Matt:confused:
Are you using the same computer to do the TiVo drive wrangling that you use to read and post here, or are they two separate machines?

The computer you are using to drive wrangle, how many IDE devices can you hook up to it? You get 2 devices for each IDE 40 pin header on the motherboard.

How many SATA devices can you hook to it?

Before you started hooking TiVo drives to it, did it already have a hard drive running an operating system installed? Is it IDE or SATA? How big? How much free space left?

The 2 drives you've been using in the TiVo, how big is each one?

You're replacing them with 2 1TB drives, correct?

Old 03-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #7378
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Are you using the same computer to do the TiVo drive wrangling that you use to read and post here, or are they two separate machines?

The computer you are using to drive wrangle, how many IDE devices can you hook up to it? You get 2 devices for each IDE 40 pin header on the motherboard.
This is starting to sound like a rodeo.

How many TiVo's can you round up in eight seconds?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #7379
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
FWIW, if you can open a second command shell, you can get info on "dd" progress with this command:
Code:
killall -s USR1 dd
It will give you a transfer rate, and total transfer count. I use this frequently when scrubbing a hdd...
I suspect that his Linux ability is lot more like mine than yours, i.e., rather limited. That, and its ability to work around errors, is why I suggested dd_rescue (and why I should have remembered to suggest the use of the verbose option -v).

I don't think there's much point in his continuing to let dd run, because I don't think he's going to get the results he wants.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #7380
richsadams

Quote:
Isn't it obvious? I would have lifetimed it when I first got it! (and I did, all three of my wooTiVos).

How much would they charge you now for lifetime? If you can do it for $199, jump on it. At $299, I think it's still worth it. And yeah, you'll just eat the 1Y sub you already paid for--but that's your own damn fault.
IIRC LT was $399 at the time and I just balked at it. Probably should have gone with it anyway. Now that I look at the account I've been paying $6.99/mo. this past year plus I received $200 off of the purchase price for pre-ordering so it wast that bad. They don't list my renewal options on line so I'll have to call. They offer LT on the Series3 for $399. Perhaps I can talk them into $199 for the Premiere, we'll see.

EDIT: I forgot that I received a $60 rebate from FatWallet at the time as well. I feel sooooo much better now.

Last edited by richsadams : 03-12-2011 at 06:17 PM.