TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 02:13 AM   #7261
dgel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 57
Hi. I have a Direct Tivo series 2 R10, about 8 yrs old, freezing about everyother day--very annoying. Guessing hardrive is going. Can i only upgrade with certain kind of drives? Want to just open unit and replace and it'll be ready to go. Thanks
dgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:41 AM   #7262
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Hey Rich!

Actually, I'm talking about someone who has to replace their drive because it failed. They are starting with a a blank drive they bought themselves or a pre-imaged drive from Weaknees with nothing on it except the TiVo software. No settings and no Season Passes.

Someone here posted that when it connects to the server the first time, it not only upgrades your software to the lastest version, it also gets all your SP's from "the cloud" (TiVo website has them if you opted IN) and restores them for you. Any idea if that's true? Seems like it's feasible.... but I have a feeling that only works when you buy a whole new BOX (such as buying a new Premiere HD to replace an S3), but I thought I'd ask. It would sure be a nice insurance policy.
Yes, that's true. TiVo automatically upgrades to the latest OS version (it's immediate, not incremental). Plus I know if you sign up for TiVo Guru Guide or KidZone that TiVo automatically populates your SP's. My understanding is that once you set up TiVo's online Season Pass Manager that the same thing happens but I can't confirm that. However, even if it didn't automatically download the SP's, you could certainly "command" it from the the TiVo Season Pass Manager. A little foresight is all it takes.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:44 AM   #7263
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgel View Post
Hi. I have a Direct Tivo series 2 R10, about 8 yrs old, freezing about everyother day--very annoying. Guessing hardrive is going. Can i only upgrade with certain kind of drives? Want to just open unit and replace and it'll be ready to go. Thanks
Do you mean that you want to just open your TiVo, pull the hard drive and drop in a new one? If so, DVRUpgrade.com or Weaknees.com (they are actually owned by the same folks now) is what you need. They have pre-imaged drives that are plug and play.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #7264
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser
 
MikeAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Illinois (Dn Nr WI)
Posts: 12,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasilemj View Post
By nature, there's been so much discussion about upgrading Series 3 drives and Premiere Tivos but my question is about upgrading an old Series2 drive. I have an old steady 140 series with software version 9.3.2b. Any thoughts on whether the WD10EURS might work in this old dinosaur?

I'm aware I'll need to get a SATA to IDE adapter.
It'll work fine. I put a 500GB SATA drive in a series 2DT using the IDE adapter from eBay mentioned here and WinMFS. There's no reason 1TB and even 1.5TB won't work (other than only getting ~1.3TB with the 1.5TB drive.)
__________________
1) Series 4 Premiere - Lifetime
2) Series 3 OLED - Lifetime.
2) Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #7265
retiredqwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 156
Tivo HD and Comers JMFS

I found a while back that the above Comers JMFS would copy and expand a stock drive to a 2TB target drive.

I used a previous version rev .68 to do this on my THD and then later on my TP. I tried to copy and expand a target drive created using Winmfs, but it never worked and I thought we were stuck with only using the stock drive as the source drive.

Comer then released a rev 1.04 that turned on supersize for the TP, it doesn't work for the THD. I didn't think of trying to copy and expand an already expanded drive with the new version.

That's where Kenva comes in. He tried his previously expanded 1TB drive and copied and expanded it to a 2TB using rev 1.04. I did the same thing last night and it appears to work.

So, if you have an already expanded THD drive, you should be able to use Comers JMFS rev 1.04 successfully.

We have another thread that discusses all of this http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179
__________________
I'm not retired... I'm a professional grandparent.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #7266
shady
We have chickens!
 
shady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Morgan Hill, California
Posts: 3,822
I purchased a WD10EARS to upgrade my Series 3 (this will be the second time, I'm actually replacing the upgraded disk that is now failing).

I connected this new disk to a spare sata connector in my win7 64 bit machine and ran HDDScan.

Although HDDScan recognizes this drive, the "IDE Features" button is disabled.

Any Ideas what's wrong?
__________________
Winner of the July 2005 TC Heads Up Poker tournament
Third place in the TC-Con-06 Paper airplane competition
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #7267
kettledrum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
I purchased a WD10EARS to upgrade my Series 3 (this will be the second time, I'm actually replacing the upgraded disk that is now failing).

I connected this new disk to a spare sata connector in my win7 64 bit machine and ran HDDScan.

Although HDDScan recognizes this drive, the "IDE Features" button is disabled.

Any Ideas what's wrong?
I have the same problem as you, although I'm running a much older computer and upgrading to a WD20EARS.

See my experience here and in the next 6 posts after that..... http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...15#post8319815
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #7268
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
I purchased a WD10EARS to upgrade my Series 3 (this will be the second time, I'm actually replacing the upgraded disk that is now failing).

I connected this new disk to a spare sata connector in my win7 64 bit machine and ran HDDScan.

Although HDDScan recognizes this drive, the "IDE Features" button is disabled.

Any Ideas what's wrong?
Be sure you're signed on as the Administrator, have all virus scan software turned off and see Section IV, #29 of the FAQ regarding a possible BIOS setting change.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #7269
shady
We have chickens!
 
shady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Morgan Hill, California
Posts: 3,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
I have the same problem as you, although I'm running a much older computer and upgrading to a WD20EARS.

See my experience here and in the next 6 posts after that..... http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...15#post8319815
Thanks Kettledrum,

I used a USB - sata adapter instead and I was able to get into the IDE Features.

I've now changed my acoustic settings. Tonight I'll do the transfer
__________________
Winner of the July 2005 TC Heads Up Poker tournament
Third place in the TC-Con-06 Paper airplane competition
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #7270
shady
We have chickens!
 
shady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Morgan Hill, California
Posts: 3,822
Well, I got through the whole transfer and everything seemed to go well, but now it sticks on the powering up screen.

I'll try the Bios setting change next, although I thought that didn't affect the first boot
__________________
Winner of the July 2005 TC Heads Up Poker tournament
Third place in the TC-Con-06 Paper airplane competition
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #7271
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,997
It sounds like its the Intellipark issue.
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #7272
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
Well, I got through the whole transfer and everything seemed to go well, but now it sticks on the powering up screen.

I'll try the Bios setting change next, although I thought that didn't affect the first boot
When was your hard drive manufactured?

Last edited by richsadams : 02-12-2011 at 10:34 AM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #7273
shady
We have chickens!
 
shady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Morgan Hill, California
Posts: 3,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
When was your hard drive manufactured?
July 2010

I'm up and running now.
I applied the intellipark fix and everything is working just fine. I even tried the soft reboot.

One thing to note, without the intellipark fix, It wouldn't even boot up from a hard reboot (pulling power).

Anyway, thanks to everyone who contribute in this thread, I've extended the life of my Series 3
__________________
Winner of the July 2005 TC Heads Up Poker tournament
Third place in the TC-Con-06 Paper airplane competition
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #7274
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
July 2010

I'm up and running now.
I applied the intellipark fix and everything is working just fine. I even tried the soft reboot.

One thing to note, without the intellipark fix, It wouldn't even boot up from a hard reboot (pulling power).

Anyway, thanks to everyone who contribute in this thread, I've extended the life of my Series 3
Thanks very much for that. So far WD GP hard drives manufactured after September 15th no longer require the Intellipark setting to be adjusted. It's the luck of the draw right now though...some vendors have newer ones, some older.

As noted earlier, it seems even some of the drives built prior to 09/15/10 will actually boot up and perform a menu restart, but after that (as you experienced) they'll hang when either are subsequently performed until the Intellipark setting is adjusted. Good to know though.

Glad to hear things are good now however...enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #7275
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 6,100
Is there a theory that TiVo HD upgrades, once the software is updated to current (11.0j), don't have the Intellipark issues with any drive? Or is the catch-22 that you can't get it upgraded?
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #7276
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Is there a theory that TiVo HD upgrades, once the software is updated to current (11.0j), don't have the Intellipark issues with any drive? Or is the catch-22 that you can't get it upgraded?
So far WD GP drives manufactured after September 15, 2010 do not have to have the Intellipark setting adjusted providing they have the current TiVo OS. (Applies to all TiVo's.) So if the upgrade will be employing an original TiVo drive that hasn't been in service for a while, it's best to install it in TiVo, force an update and then perform the upgrade.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #7277
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 6,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
So far WD GP drives manufactured after September 15, 2010 do not have to have the Intellipark setting adjusted providing they have the current TiVo OS. (Applies to all TiVo's.) So if the upgrade will be employing an original TiVo drive that hasn't been in service for a while, it's best to install it in TiVo, force an update and then perform the upgrade.
In my case I have the original HDD removed in Sept. 2009 and the WinMFS backup image from it. If I understand correctly my choices would be:
1) Do what you say above.
--or --
2) Use wdidle3 on the new drive and just restore the Sept. 09 image to it.

Correct? (This is keeping it simple by just assuming a 1 TB new drive. In actuality I probably could not resist going for 2 TB.)
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #7278
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
In my case I have the original HDD removed in Sept. 2009 and the WinMFS backup image from it. If I understand correctly my choices would be:
1) Do what you say above.
--or --
2) Use wdidle3 on the new drive and just restore the Sept. 09 image to it.

Correct? (This is keeping it simple by just assuming a 1 TB new drive. In actuality I probably could not resist going for 2 TB.)
I'm not sure about your second method. I don't recall anyone going that direction. I can't say if it's a combination of the current TiVo software and tweaking Intellipark or if just tweaking Intellipark would do it now so it might also depend on the new drive's manufacture date. IIRC some folks still had their TiVo's hang until they updated their TiVo drive.

All of that said, it could also depend on what upgrade you want to perform...

- 1TB using your truncated backup or original drive (winMFS would work).
- 1TB using your existing upgraded drive (winMFS would work IF your upgraded drive is <1TB, 500GB for example).
- 1TB using your existing upgraded drive (jmfs would work IF your upgraded drive is <1TB, 500GB for example).).
- 2TB using your original or existing upgraded drive (jmfs would work).

Unless you have an aversion to updating your original drive, I'd go with my first suggestion, but your call of course. For the price per gig, etc., 2TB is the way to go IMHO and the jmfs upgrade program is easier to use than winMFS (although it takes longer since it copies an entire drive and then expands it...good excuse to have a beer or two):

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=462179
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #7279
gwehmann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Error marrying previously upgraded Tivo HD hard drive to 1TB WD My DVR

I'm trying to marry the 1TB WD MyDVR Expander with my 500GB Hitachi HD that has been working beautifully in my Tivo HD since I upgraded it 2 years ago. I connect them both to my Win 7 computer & run WinMFS as Administrator. I then select the Hitachi as the A drive (it is listed as drive 2) & the WD MyDVR as the B drive (it is listed as drive 0). I then click on Tools\MFSAdd and after getting past the standard warning, it thows up an error message that says "Mfsadd failed!", followed by an error message that says "Error Number: 8" and on the next line "Error Message: Nothing to do!". I've checked all over this forum and the internet, and I can't find anybody with similar issues.

One thing I want to mention. When I began the process of marrying my two drives, I didn't run WinMFS as Administrator, and when I went to select the drives, there was nothing to select. I then decided to go into Computer Management, and it offered to initialize them. Without thinking, I said yes, then realized that that might have been a big mistake. WinMFS then said that my Tivo drive was not a Tivo drive, and I knew I had made a mistake. I then went into WinMFS and did Tools\Fix bootpage\Option 1 on my Tivo hd, and everything was back to normal. I put it back into my Tivo and everything started up normal. With the WD MyDVR expander (which I had also initialized in Windows), I just did the Delete Format (I'm remembering the exact menu item from memory) on that one & I'm assuming I'm good to go.

Just wanted to put that info out there in case anyone's thinking that might be causing me my problems. Anyone have any ideas why I might be getting the "Nothing to do!" error message?
Thanks ahead of time.
Greg
gwehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:02 AM   #7280
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwehmann View Post
I'm trying to marry the 1TB WD MyDVR Expander with my 500GB Hitachi HD that has been working beautifully in my Tivo HD since I upgraded it 2 years ago. I connect them both to my Win 7 computer & run WinMFS as Administrator. I then select the Hitachi as the A drive (it is listed as drive 2) & the WD MyDVR as the B drive (it is listed as drive 0). I then click on Tools\MFSAdd and after getting past the standard warning, it thows up an error message that says "Mfsadd failed!", followed by an error message that says "Error Number: 8" and on the next line "Error Message: Nothing to do!". I've checked all over this forum and the internet, and I can't find anybody with similar issues.

One thing I want to mention. When I began the process of marrying my two drives, I didn't run WinMFS as Administrator, and when I went to select the drives, there was nothing to select. I then decided to go into Computer Management, and it offered to initialize them. Without thinking, I said yes, then realized that that might have been a big mistake. WinMFS then said that my Tivo drive was not a Tivo drive, and I knew I had made a mistake. I then went into WinMFS and did Tools\Fix bootpage\Option 1 on my Tivo hd, and everything was back to normal. I put it back into my Tivo and everything started up normal. With the WD MyDVR expander (which I had also initialized in Windows), I just did the Delete Format (I'm remembering the exact menu item from memory) on that one & I'm assuming I'm good to go.

Just wanted to put that info out there in case anyone's thinking that might be causing me my problems. Anyone have any ideas why I might be getting the "Nothing to do!" error message?
Thanks ahead of time.
Greg
Welcome to the forum...sorry it's under such frustrating circumstances. I know Fix bootpage can usually restore things for internal drives that were accidentally initialized in Windows Disk Management (as that's what gets corrupted), however I don't recall anyone doing that to an expansion drive. There is no boot page per say so I'm afraid there may not be much else you can do. I hope that's not the case and perhaps someone else will chime in.

The only thing I can think to do would be to reinstall your original TiVo drive and fire TiVo up. I don't know if you were using your eSATA drive with the original drive, but if so and the warning screen comes up that it can't find the external drive, go ahead with the divorce procedure (three thumbs down, etc.). Then connect the external drive and go through the add screens. When you connect the external drive it will automatically be reformatted. Then you may be able to go through the upgrade/bless (marry) procedure again to make things right.

Hope that helps and let us know how you get on.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #7281
Jason.Nina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Hey Guys,

My Series3 is having a more frequent spontaneous reboot. I would like to replace the drive before it is lost so I can keep my shows and settings.

The Series3 has the original internal drive. I have an eSATA that I assembled. It is an Antec case with a 750 GB Seagate DB35.3.

I saw in the FAQ that I may lose the ability to have an external drive when I replace the original. Did I read this right?

Last thing, I see that a local Brick and Motor store carries a Western Digital GP Caviar, but the model number doesn't match up to anything I can find elsewhere. The specs look okay to my eye except for IntelliPark:

•1TB maximum storage capacity
•Serial ATA interface
•Data transfer rates up to 3 Gbps
•IntelliPower (5400 rpm - 7200 rpm) for fast read/write times
•8.9 ms average seek time
•IntelliSeek and IntelliPark features help lower power consumption

Would this be okay?

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited by Jason.Nina : 02-16-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Jason.Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:56 AM   #7282
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.Nina View Post
Hey Guys,

My Series3 is having a more frequent spontaneous reboot. I would like to replace the drive before it is lost so I can keep my shows and settings.

<snip>
If you're using winMFS or MFSTools to upgrade your Series3 from stock to a 1TB drive you do lose the plug and play external drive option. However you can bless or "marry" an external drive during the upgrade process. Details are included in the first post.

Although the first post hasn't been updated in a little while it's still current with respect to the upgrade process...nothing has changed.

Many, many folks here are successfully using WD GP drives including yours truly. The specs look fine/normal. Can you post the model number?

With respect to Intellipark, if the drive was manufactured after September 15th, 2010 there's nothing to worry about. If it was manufactured prior to that it's possible that the Intellipark setting will need to be adjusted per the first post/FAQ to avoid it hanging on the initial boot or menu restart. The date of manufacture is printed on the label on the hard drive itself. If you can open the box you can check it out.

Now, all of that having been said, it may be that your external drive is the issue...might be the eSATA cable or something else. Before jumping to replacements and such, you might want to read this post and see if anything applies:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...44#post7553444

FWIW your best bet would be to go ahead and upgrade your internal hard drive to 1TB and not reconnect the external drive as it's just an additional fail point IMHO.

Hope that helps and happy upgrading!

Last edited by richsadams : 02-17-2011 at 03:02 AM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #7283
Jason.Nina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
If you're using winMFS or MFSTools to upgrade your Series3 from stock to a 1TB drive you do lose the plug and play external drive option. However you can bless or "marry" an external drive during the upgrade process. Details are included in the first post.

Although the first post hasn't been updated in a little while it's still current with respect to the upgrade process...nothing has changed.

Many, many folks here are successfully using WD GP drives including yours truly. The specs look fine/normal. Can you post the model number?

With respect to Intellipark, if the drive was manufactured after September 15th, 2010 there's nothing to worry about. If it was manufactured prior to that it's possible that the Intellipark setting will need to be adjusted per the first post/FAQ to avoid it hanging on the initial boot or menu restart. The date of manufacture is printed on the label on the hard drive itself. If you can open the box you can check it out.

Now, all of that having been said, it may be that your external drive is the issue...might be the eSATA cable or something else. Before jumping to replacements and such, you might want to read this post and see if anything applies:

FWIW your best bet would be to go ahead and upgrade your internal hard drive to 1TB and not reconnect the external drive as it's just an additional fail point IMHO.

Hope that helps and happy upgrading!
That's great advice, thank you. The drive model is listed as: Model: WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN | SKU: 8492026

I'm not sure what that is, though. It doesn't match up with any drives listed in the recommended, but it is a 1TB Caviar GP. I can price match it at the Navy Exchange to save on the sales tax. So, it would cost me ~65 (I hope that doesn't violate any forum rules).

I'm going to follow your advice in the other forum to test the drives. I did disconnect/connect the eSATA last night to firm up the connections and clean the dust out of the drive enclosure. If I end up replacing the internal drive I think I'll take your advice and forgo the eSATA.

Thank you
Jason.Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #7284
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.Nina View Post
That's great advice, thank you. The drive model is listed as: Model: WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN | SKU: 8492026

I'm not sure what that is, though. It doesn't match up with any drives listed in the recommended, but it is a 1TB Caviar GP. I can price match it at the Navy Exchange to save on the sales tax. So, it would cost me ~65 (I hope that doesn't violate any forum rules).

I'm going to follow your advice in the other forum to test the drives. I did disconnect/connect the eSATA last night to firm up the connections and clean the dust out of the drive enclosure. If I end up replacing the internal drive I think I'll take your advice and forgo the eSATA.

Thank you
That number is the number on the box.

You may find the same drive in a box with a different number.

For example I have 3 (on sale the day after Thanksgiving Caviar Black) WD1001FALS drives I got from Best Buy.

The two that came from the local store say

WD10000LSRTL

on the sticker on the bottom of the box.

The third, which bestbuy.com shipped to me, says

WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN

on the sticker on the bottom of the box

but it's the same drive inside.


WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN

googles up a bunch of listings, including one at Newegg, and the big version of the pictures shows the drive itself with

WD10EADS

on the label.

Oddly enough the Newegg page for the OEM/bare drive WD10EADS doesn't show any pictures of the label on the drive, just the insides of it, and they want $5 more than they're asking for the retail box version.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #7285
MPSAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Posts: 969
Newegg has the WD10EARS for $54.99 and free shipping with promo code EMCKHJB26 not bad at all, if you ONLY need 157 HD hours!!
__________________
"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"!
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #7286
hoyty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sammamish, WA
Posts: 111
Just wanted to post what so far seems to be a sad follow-up to my success mentioned in previous post. I had a power outage today and it appears the new replacement drive is dead. With it in the S3 only gets to welcome screen and no farther. I still have my original 250 GB and I popped it in and it booted right up (to a 3 year old image before I got FIOS). I am going to pull the drive and see if I can mount it in a PC. However I am not hopeful. After succeding to recover the data of the last failing drive, kind of a downer to lose it all for real most likely this time less than 2 months later. I guess I get to go back to WD for another replacement.
hoyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #7287
L David Matheny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SE Ohio
Posts: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post
Just wanted to post what so far seems to be a sad follow-up to my success mentioned in previous post. I had a power outage today and it appears the new replacement drive is dead. With it in the S3 only gets to welcome screen and no farther. I still have my original 250 GB and I popped it in and it booted right up (to a 3 year old image before I got FIOS). I am going to pull the drive and see if I can mount it in a PC. However I am not hopeful. After succeding to recover the data of the last failing drive, kind of a downer to lose it all for real most likely this time less than 2 months later. I guess I get to go back to WD for another replacement.
Doesn't that sound like the old IntelliPark issue? Read up on that.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #7288
hoyty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sammamish, WA
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Doesn't that sound like the old IntelliPark issue? Read up on that.
I thought about that, but I am not sure why it would suddenly happen? If it is I should be able to mount it in a PC. I will report back once I get in a PC.
hoyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #7289
hoyty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sammamish, WA
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Doesn't that sound like the old IntelliPark issue? Read up on that.
Very confused, but happy I must say. I attached the "failed" replacement drive to a PC and it seemed to mount fine. I didn't show up to WinMFS, which I am not sure why. I then rebooted with the WDIDLE3 boot disk. One note for others is I couldn't get WDIDLE3 to recognize anything other than a single or at least primary master. After working around that issue I used WDIDLE3 /d on the drive. (It was set to 8 seconds before.) I then stuck the drive back into S3 and it worked. I am not sure if it was the WDIDLE3 or simply attaching the drive to the PC? I also can't figure out why this drive worked perfectly for almost 2 months (through other power outages and reboots) and then suddenly stopped.

Either way I am happy it appears to be working again and hope it stays that way.
hoyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #7290
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post
Very confused, but happy I must say. I attached the "failed" replacement drive to a PC and it seemed to mount fine. I didn't show up to WinMFS, which I am not sure why. I then rebooted with the WDIDLE3 boot disk. One note for others is I couldn't get WDIDLE3 to recognize anything other than a single or at least primary master. After working around that issue I used WDIDLE3 /d on the drive. (It was set to 8 seconds before.) I then stuck the drive back into S3 and it worked. I am not sure if it was the WDIDLE3 or simply attaching the drive to the PC? I also can't figure out why this drive worked perfectly for almost 2 months (through other power outages and reboots) and then suddenly stopped.

Either way I am happy it appears to be working again and hope it stays that way.

Go get yourself an uninterruptable power supply for that TiVo.

I think either Staples or Best Buy has them on sale at the moment.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |