TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #7231
synch22

anyone noticed an increase in pixelation with drive upgrades? I swear with the old original drive this was a very rare occurnece and i know sometimes attributed to the cable signal. With the new drive WD10EADS i have noticed this much more on live as well as recorded programs. Other than that all is fine and well just wondered if this is something to be aware of (drive issue ) ?
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #7232
dalmeida

FYI. I've just experienced a drive failure with my external drive a Hitachi CinemaStar 7K1000 1TB running in an Apricorn-EZ-BUS enclosure. It's been running flawlessly for one month shy of three years until now. I'm not sure if I'm going back to Hitachi for their DeskStar 7k1000. Don't want to lose all my recordings again.
dalmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #7233
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmeida View Post
FYI. I've just experienced a drive failure with my external drive a Hitachi CinemaStar 7K1000 1TB running in an Apricorn-EZ-BUS enclosure. It's been running flawlessly for one month shy of three years until now. I'm not sure if I'm going back to Hitachi for their DeskStar 7k1000. Don't want to lose all my recordings again.
That blows, sorry man.

To review: External expansion == bad; internal drive REPLACE/upgrade/upsize == good (and easy!)
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #7234
dalmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
That blows, sorry man.

To review: External expansion == bad; internal drive REPLACE/upgrade/upsize == good (and easy!)
I may just do that I didn't want to screw with it last time while the box was still under warranty. At this point the internal Tivo disk is probably reaching the near end of its effective lifespan.
dalmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #7235
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmeida View Post
I may just do that I didn't want to screw with it last time while the box was still under warranty. At this point the internal Tivo disk is probably reaching the near end of its effective lifespan.
I've never worried about the warranty thing. I've always just kept one of the original hard drives around on a shelf, just in case.

And I've often resold those barely ever used original drives for a few bucks.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #7236
mherdeen

External Drive compatibility help

We just picked up a Tivo Premier to replace an older series 2 Tivo. We had a WDG1S5000VN - "Western Digital My DVR Expander 500 GB eSATA" that was used on an older series 3 Tivo without a problem. I tried adding this drive to the new Premiere unit and the tivo is telling me it's not a compatible drive.

This model drive had been an "approved" drive on a Series 3 and worked just fine. Does anyone know if this drive should work with a Tivo premiere? I've read through much of the posts here for help, but with 240+ pages.....

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm really hoping we don't have to buy yet another external drive.

Thanks!
mherdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #7237
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherdeen View Post
We just picked up a Tivo Premier to replace an older series 2 Tivo. We had a WDG1S5000VN - "Western Digital My DVR Expander 500 GB eSATA" that was used on an older series 3 Tivo without a problem. I tried adding this drive to the new Premiere unit and the tivo is telling me it's not a compatible drive.

This model drive had been an "approved" drive on a Series 3 and worked just fine. Does anyone know if this drive should work with a Tivo premiere? I've read through much of the posts here for help, but with 240+ pages.....

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm really hoping we don't have to buy yet another external drive.

Thanks!
Series 2 to Premiere....wow, you're making quite the jump! You'll love it!

What you should do is replace the internal drive with a 2TB drive that costs under $100. The external drive adds another point of failure, and sucks away a bunch of power on top of that. ANd when it fails, you lose ALL the recordings you have.

Seriously, PM me, send me $95, and I'll order a 2TB like the ones i just got for my new premieres, upgrade it and ship it out to you in Jersey. You'll need a couple Torx screwdrivers/bits (I believe it's T10 and T15) to crack open your new box and replace the drive (and put the drive it came with on the shelf for warranty/backup purposes). But you'll get about 300 hours of HD goodness. It'll be a "factory" drive, so you'll have to repeat the guided setup and such.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:07 AM   #7238
bkrodgers

Just wanted to report that I've now done my second upgrade of a THD to a WD20EARS drive using jmfs for copy and expand only, and WinMFS for the supersize option only. It works great! The first one I did back at the start of December has been working flawlessly as well for almost 2 months now. On the one I just did, I did have to go back to the original drive, since I'd previously upgraded that THD (losing recordings and season passes made since that upgrade 3 years ago). But I had enough space on my other THD to transfer what I cared about over there, and then transfer it back after the upgrade. As with the WD20EARS from my first upgrade, I did need to use WDIDLE3 to turn off InteliPark.

317 HD hours is an amazing thing. I can't recommend it enough, and with the $80 post rebate price, I think it should be a really easy decision. (I got mine from Newegg with the extra $10 off, so $70 AR, but that extra $10 has expired.)

My original post with descriptions of what I did:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...74#post8264374

On a side note, it was a bit funny to see the season passes for long since canceled shows that I had on the original Tivo Drive. Anyone remember Journeyman? Bionic Woman?

On another side note, I just dug up the invoice from when I upgraded to 1TB just over 3 years ago. I paid $270 for 1TB back then. I just paid $70 for 2TB. Amazing.
bkrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #7239
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post
Just wanted to report that I've now done my second upgrade of a THD to a WD20EARS drive using jmfs for copy and expand only, and WinMFS for the supersize option only.
Congratulations! Just to be clear for those that follow, the Supersize option in the jmfs program works fine with TiVo Premiere and Premiere XL upgrades...the models the program was designed for. Although the program also happens to work with TiVo HD/HDXL's (not Series3's), the Supersize option does not. But as bkrodgers and others have pointed out, 2TB TiVo HD/HDXL upgraded drives can be supersized using winMFS.

For those interested in upgrading TiVo Premiere, Premiere XL, visit this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

For those interested in a 2TB upgrade for the TiVo HD/HDXL, visit this thread:

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=462179

FWIW when the eSATA drive hack was first discovered for the original Series3 I paid $259 for a Seagate 500GB DB35 hard drive (on sale!) plus another $49 for an Antec MX-1 enclosure. I never thought I'd ever fill up that much recording space! Now I'm about to drop a 2TB drive into our Premiere XL for <$75. Sigh.

Enjoy you "new" TiVo!

Last edited by richsadams : 01-23-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Update links
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #7240
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
...the Supersize option ....
Quick clarification: By supersize you mean supersize and NOT the expand option, correct?
Old 01-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #7241
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Quick clarification: By supersize you mean supersize and NOT the expand option, correct?
Yes indeed, just Supersize (reclaiming the TiVo Clips space).

Old 01-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #7242
vasilemj

By nature, there's been so much discussion about upgrading Series 3 drives and Premiere Tivos but my question is about upgrading an old Series2 drive. I have an old steady 140 series with software version 9.3.2b. Any thoughts on whether the WD10EURS might work in this old dinosaur?

I'm aware I'll need to get a SATA to IDE adapter.
vasilemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #7243
terryjamison

No soft re-boot problem to report on this particular WD Green drive with the above date of manufacture.

I followed the FAQ and instructions. It took all of 35 minutes. I even went into the drive with HDDscan to lower the noise.

I used a USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE hard drive adapter. I wish that I would have had a second adapter. Then , I would have transfered my recordings as well.

Thanks-
terryjamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #7244
terryjamison

Quote:
Hard to say. That's just about the time the issue started showing up. The only way to find out would be to perform the upgrade and install it in TiVo. If it boots up, try a menu restart. If it doesn't boot up or if it doesn't reboot from a menu restart then you'd need to run wdidle3.exe to adjust the Intellipark timeout per the instructions in the FAQ (Section V, #14):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

Let us know how it goes!
No soft re-boot problem to report on this particular WD Green drive with the above date of manufacture.

I followed the FAQ and instructions. It took all of 35 minutes. I even went into the drive with HDDscan to lower the noise.

I used a USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE hard drive adapter. I wish that I would have had a second adapter. Then , I would have transfered my recordings as well.

Thanks-
terryjamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:58 AM   #7245
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjamison View Post

Thanks-
Great to know. Enjoy your "new" TiVo!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #7246
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasilemj View Post
By nature, there's been so much discussion about upgrading Series 3 drives and Premiere Tivos but my question is about upgrading an old Series2 drive. I have an old steady 140 series with software version 9.3.2b. Any thoughts on whether the WD10EURS might work in this old dinosaur?

I'm aware I'll need to get a SATA to IDE adapter.
Allow me to recommend that you read through all of this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

before buying that adapter.

I'm running 2 WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB drives in one Series 2 Dual Tuner and another one in a second of that same model, so the size probably won't be a problem and a quick google of "tivo series 2 wd10eurs" doesn't pop up any horror stories. You should find out if that whole wdidle thing will need to be worried about, and plan accordingly.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011

Last edited by unitron : 02-06-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: correct missing letter in second paragraph
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #7247
Mahty

another data point: new WD20EURS has no IntelliPark soft-reboot hang issue!

Although just last week I upgraded a TiVoHD using the tried-and-true WinMFS tools on a new WD15EVDS (born on 29Sep2010 and having the IntelliPark soft-reboot hang issue), I have since become aware of the jmfs/WinMFS combo option for getting even more internal recording space out of a TiVoHD. (I really should learn to better keep up with these forums.) Since I still have a number of days left during which I can return the WD15EVDS for a full refund, I launched into an effort to see if I could use the jmfs/WinMFS combo method to maximally “comerize” a 2TB drive for use in the TiVoHD.

To this end I purchased online for store pickup a WD20EVDS from Fry’s. However, when I got the drive last night I noticed it was a WD20EURS. (It seems that Fry’s is currently using the WD20EVDS Fry's product number for both the WD20EVDS drive and the WD20EURS drive. Indeed, the Fry’s sticker on the anti-static bag reads WD20EVDS/EURS. Curiously, searching for the WD20EURS product on Fry’s website currently results in no product matches.) Now, although I understand that the new WDxxEURS line of AV-GP products is the successor to the WDxxEVDS line, I was still a bit unnerved to get a drive different than the one I had ordered. After all, I do have experience now with two TiVo upgrades using WD15EVDS drives. (My other WD15EVDS drive, by the way, was born on 01Apr2010 and also had the IntelliPark soft-reboot hang issue.) I had the Fry’s salesman check his store’s remaining inventory on that Fry’s product number, but all (4?) were reported to be WD20EURS. Oh, well. Assuming that the jmfs/WnMFS combo method will work for me, does anybody have any reasons for NOT using a WD20EURS in lieu of a WD20EVDS?

Before I begin my jmfs efforts, I did a quick check to see if the WD20EURS (born on 05Nov2010) had the IntelliPark soft-reboot hang issue. I used WinMFS to copy to the WD20EURS a truncated backup image of the TiVoHD’s OEM drive. This particular image still has TiVo SW v9.3a, which will allow the soft-reboot issue, if present, to manifest itself. (During my two aforementioned WD15EVDS upgrade efforts, the soft-reboot hangs were eliminated with updates to the then current TiVo SW -- from v8.0.1c to v11.0g on a TiVoS3 and from v9.3a to v11.0j on a TiVoHD). I can happily report that the WD20EURS does NOT have the IntelliPark soft-reboot hang issue, i.e., the TiVoHD soft-rebooted just fine with TiVo SW v9.3a and the WD20EURS.

Last edited by Mahty : 01-25-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Mahty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #7248
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahty View Post
Assuming that the jmfs/WnMFS combo method will work for me, does anybody have any reasons for NOT using a WD20EURS in lieu of a WD20EVDS?
A number of folks are using the newer WDxxEURS drives in their TiVo successfully, so no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahty View Post
I can happily report that the WD20EURS does NOT have the IntelliPark soft-reboot hang issue, i.e., the TiVoHD soft-rebooted just fine with TiVo SW v9.3a and the WD20EURS.
Thanks for that info...good to know. Whatever the WD firmware change was it appears that they made it to their A/V GP line of drives earlier than the rest; sometime in March 2010. The "about" date that they implemented the change in the rest of their GP drives is September 15, 2010. So either way, your drive was good to go.

Enjoy your "new" TiVo!

Last edited by richsadams : 01-25-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #7249
RayChuang88

Speaking of expansion drives, has either TiVo or Western Digital commented at the recent CES show about higher-capacity expansion drives for the TiVo HD XL beyond 1 TB? I'd LOVE to be able to attach a potential external 2 TB version of the WD My Book AV drive and get up to 450 hours for HD recordings.

TiVo HD XL (153 hours HD)
RayChuang88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #7250
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang88 View Post
Speaking of expansion drives, has either TiVo or Western Digital commented at the recent CES show about higher-capacity expansion drives for the TiVo HD XL beyond 1 TB? I'd LOVE to be able to attach a potential external 2 TB version of the WD My Book AV drive and get up to 450 hours for HD recordings.
That would be nice but TiVo's current partition setup is limited to 2TB. DIY experiments (by both enthusiasts and professionals) haven't yielded anything beyond that that didn't end up failing. It doesn't seem likely that TiVo would rethink their OS for anything but newer models either.

FWIW a DIY 2TB TiVo HDXL is quite easy to accomplish if you're comfortable connecting a hard drive to a computer. Having a single internal drive has a lot of benefits including keeping the fail points to a minimum. More here:

Old 01-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #7251
crank11

Many thanks for this thread. I upgraded my Tivo in about 40 minutes total. I didn't care about transferring shows since I move most to my iPad for consumption.

Another data point: WD10EVDS (dated 14 Oct 10) installed flawlessly with no soft boot problems. Don't know why I didn't do this years ago!

Some notes after performing the upgrade:
- I used a BlacX docking station to transfer my Tivo img from the old internal drive to the new. No problems at all.
- Highly recommend magnetic tip on your screw driver or having some sort of small magnet handy. There are two screws that are pretty deep in the Tivo and are super easy to drop.
- Have an air blaster can handy. I couldn't believe all the dust inside the Tivo.
- Follow the FAQ to completion. I almost forgot to turn on MFSSupersize because I got a little anxious.

Great FAQ! Recommend adding the WD10EVDS to the approved list. I just bought another one for my second Tivo HD ($80 on Amazon).
crank11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #7252
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank11 View Post
Many thanks for this thread. I upgraded my Tivo in about 40 minutes total. I didn't care about transferring shows since I move most to my iPad for consumption.

Another data point: WD10EVDS (dated 14 Oct 10) installed flawlessly with no soft boot problems. Don't know why I didn't do this years ago!

Some notes after performing the upgrade:
- I used a BlacX docking station to transfer my Tivo img from the old internal drive to the new. No problems at all.
- Highly recommend magnetic tip on your screw driver or having some sort of small magnet handy. There are two screws that are pretty deep in the Tivo and are super easy to drop.
- Have an air blaster can handy. I couldn't believe all the dust inside the Tivo.
- Follow the FAQ to completion. I almost forgot to turn on MFSSupersize because I got a little anxious.

Great FAQ! Recommend adding the WD10EVDS to the approved list. I just bought another one for my second Tivo HD ($80 on Amazon).
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for all of the great info and congratulations! (Getting to that one screw on the upper RH side of the sled is a PIA isn't it? ) As the older WD drives (pre-9/15/10) that required the Intellipark timeout to be changed get flushed out of the system I think we'll be able to "reinstate" all of their models into the recommended list.

Nice work and enjoy!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #7253
news4me2

$69.99 for WD20EARS 2TB Drive at Newegg (after Rebate and $10 Discount coupon)... Special Pricing thru Jan 31st.

Deal description at Fat Wallet:

http://www.fatwallet.com/best-deals/...-hard-drive-1/
news4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:59 AM   #7254
jon96cobra

Not a bad deal for a 2TB drive.
Series 3 with External 500gb
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
jon96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #7255
chris401

Just posting to mention my absolute hate and frustration for Tivo's external upgrade path. I have a Tivo HD which has been chugging along okay for some time now. This fall, I decided that life would be easier without having to worry about watching something before it got deleted. To save time (so I thought), I went with the officially supported, My Book AV DVR Expander. That is to say, I have been through five (5) My Book AV DVR Expanders, three (3) different eSATA cables, and many missed shows. It is simply not a stable situation. Using a new eSATA cable this last week, I thought I had finally solved the problem, but little did I know, all week it kept restarting only to ultimately get stuck on during live TV recently. When re-booting, it hung during start up.

I have been using tivo 2003 (not as long as some), but I'm starting to get annoyed. This is officially supported, but Tivo blames WD and WD blames Tivo, so no one can explain it and solve the problem. I haven't done the research in years, but is there any DVR alternative out there that offers the same Tivo-ease-of-use? I'm on antenna, not dish or cable or fios or uverse, so it needs to be able to handle that. I really don't have the time to build my own system. But surely by now there is a decent competitor??
chris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #7256
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris401 View Post
Just posting to mention my absolute hate and frustration for Tivo's external upgrade path. I have a Tivo HD which has been chugging along okay for some time now. This fall, I decided that life would be easier without having to worry about watching something before it got deleted. To save time (so I thought), I went with the officially supported, My Book AV DVR Expander. That is to say, I have been through five (5) My Book AV DVR Expanders, three (3) different eSATA cables, and many missed shows. It is simply not a stable situation. Using a new eSATA cable this last week, I thought I had finally solved the problem, but little did I know, all week it kept restarting only to ultimately get stuck on during live TV recently. When re-booting, it hung during start up.

I have been using tivo 2003 (not as long as some), but I'm starting to get annoyed. This is officially supported, but Tivo blames WD and WD blames Tivo, so no one can explain it and solve the problem. I haven't done the research in years, but is there any DVR alternative out there that offers the same Tivo-ease-of-use? I'm on antenna, not dish or cable or fios or uverse, so it needs to be able to handle that. I really don't have the time to build my own system. But surely by now there is a decent competitor??
TiVo is the best. The external drive is your problem, stop using it.

What model TiVo do you have? You can upgrade the INTERNAL drive to 1TB or 2TB, depending on the model. That's almost 150 or 300 hours of HD, respectively.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #7257
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris401 View Post

How frustrating! Although the original 500GB WD My DVR Expanders had quite a few problems and most ended up failing after 12 to 18 months, the new 1TB My DVR Expanders seem to be doing better. AFAIK this is the first negative post about the latest WD My Book AV DVR Expander having problems. Not a good sign.

The issue is almost certainly with WD's product. There are a lot of folks here that ended up building their own eSATA drives...often using WD drives with someone else's enclosure (most popular being the Antec MX-1). Plenty of them were put into service two or three years ago and even longer and they are still humming along.

That said, I agree with ThreeSoFar (as usual) in that there really is nothing better than TiVo out there. I also agree that eliminating the second fail point and upgrading the internal drive is your best bet.

You could buy a pre-imaged drive from Weaknees.com or DVRUprgade.com. Or if you're comfortable connecting a hard drive to a computer, a little DIY project to create a 2TB drive (317 Hours of HD recording) is actually pretty easy. Cost is <$100. More here:

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #7258
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ditto on the dump the external and upgrade the internal. It's easier than you think and 1 TB is about all the space most people will ever need.

QUESTION: Does TiVo automatically restore all your Season Passes when you upgrade the drive now like it does when you upgrade to an HD Premiere? THAT would really make the process painless. Anyone know? Rich?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #7259
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
QUESTION: Does TiVo automatically restore all your Season Passes when you upgrade the drive now like it does when you upgrade to an HD Premiere? THAT would really make the process painless. Anyone know? Rich?
Hey Barey! The answer is generally yes but it depends on how you upgrade. Using winMFS or jmfs yes, always. Both copy over all of your settings, SP's, etc. jmfs makes an exact copy of whatever is on your drive and then you just expand the new drive.

If you were to use Instant Cake or buy a drive from a third party you'd want to make sure to set up TiVo's online Season Pass Manager so you can repopulate the SP's after swapping out drives:

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/get...s-manager.html
Old 02-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #7260
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Hey Barey! The answer is generally yes but it depends on how you upgrade. Using winMFS or jmfs yes, always. Both copy over all of your settings, SP's, etc. jmfs makes an exact copy of whatever is on your drive and then you just expand the new drive.

If you were to use Instant Cake or buy a drive from a third party you'd want to make sure to set up TiVo's online Season Pass Manager so you can repopulate the SP's after swapping out drives:

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/get...s-manager.html
Hey Rich!

Actually, I'm talking about someone who has to replace their drive because it failed. They are starting with a a blank drive they bought themselves or a pre-imaged drive from Weaknees with nothing on it except the TiVo software. No settings and no Season Passes.

Someone here posted that when it connects to the server the first time, it not only upgrades your software to the lastest version, it also gets all your SP's from "the cloud" (TiVo website has them if you opted IN) and restores them for you. Any idea if that's true? Seems like it's feasible.... but I have a feeling that only works when you buy a whole new BOX (such as buying a new Premiere HD to replace an S3), but I thought I'd ask. It would sure be a nice insurance policy.

Last edited by bareyb : 02-04-2011 at 08:31 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote