TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #691
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by simontiki View Post
What can I say. You guys ROCK! I just hooked up the original TiVo drive via USB, found it with the boot CD and changed the AAM setting. All I need to do is grab the drive out of the TiVo box and repeat.

Thanks jlib and rich!
So how will you be able to enjoy your new HDD if it isn't making any racket?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #692
Ben_Jamin75

Does anyone know what hard drive is inside the Western Digital "My Book Essentials" that is on sale at best buy this week for $249.99? Would it work with a TiVoHD if its transplanted into a Antec MX-1?
Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #693
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Jamin75 View Post
Does anyone know what hard drive is inside the Western Digital "My Book Essentials" that is on sale at best buy this week for $249.99? Would it work with a TiVoHD if its transplanted into a Antec MX-1?
OEM WD10EACS. It would work only if you open up the TiVo and expand it yourself, in which case it's better just to replace the internal drive.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #694
Ben_Jamin75

Why would it work as a first (internal) drive, but not a second (external) drive?

Being a TiVoHD, I'd have to use WinMFS to do MFSAdd to marry the drives.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #695
c3
TiVoholic

It would as either drive, but since you have to open up the case and run MFSadd, I would recommend just replacing the internal drive. Higher reliability with a single drive system, and you don't need to deal with an external component just for an additional 160GB.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #696
Ben_Jamin75

thanks, but the internal is already upgraded to 1 TB, now adding a external 1 TB Just wanted to make sure the drive will work before I buy it and rip apart the enclosure.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #697
oldnacl

I'm not involved in this particular discussion, but wanted to chime in and thank all for the great advice and instructions on adding/marrying drives. I recently used MSFtools and married a 750 Seagate FAP to my TiVoHD internal drive. I'm very hapy to see 119 hours of HD recording available.
I have a WD green 1 TB drive in a computer now, but may remove it, copy and run the marry process again, replacing the 160 GB TiVo drive.
THANKS!
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #698
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnacl View Post
I have a WD green 1 TB drive in a computer now, but may remove it, copy and run the marry process again, replacing the 160 GB TiVo drive.
THANKS!
Then all you have to do is figure out where to find the time to watch all of those recordings!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #699
Ben_Jamin75

Quote:
Success!!!

TiVo HD upgraded to 2 TB

System Information reporting
292 HD hours or
2777 SD hours

Thanks to everyone here for all the info & help. Especially to bkdtv, richadams and of course, spike2k5!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 AM   #700
richsadams

Quote:
Success!!!

TiVo HD upgraded to 2 TB

292 HD hours or
2777 SD hours

Thanks to everyone here for all the info & help. Especially to bkdtv, richadams and of course, spike2k5!!!
Excellent! Now you can go out and try and double the horsepower on your snow blower! (After you’re done watching TV of course.)
Old 01-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #701
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Success!!!

TiVo HD upgraded to 2 TB

292 HD hours or
2777 SD hours

Getting enough to watch on TiVo yet?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #702
lrhorer

No kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
So how will you be able to enjoy your new HDD if it isn't making any racket?
Damn straight! What good is a high tech gizwidget without das blinken lights and der sparken smoken?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #703
Ben_Jamin75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Getting enough to watch on TiVo yet?
Working on it
105 suggestions so far.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #704
Burt Spielman

More observations about WinMFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Spielman View Post
I'll continue to post about my ongoing "saga." Maybe others will benefit from my experiences.
All right, back yet again, this time with a pair of Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drives in hand.

The Hitachi drives are apparently pre-formatted as Windows drive "G" with two roughly 500GB partitions, the first (called "EasyDrive") recognized by Windows and the second reported as free space.

I've attached the 750GB internal drive and one of the new Hitachi drives to the PCI SATA controller. In WinMFS, I'm able to select the 750GB as drive A and the 1TB as drive B, the latter, however, only after clicking "select" and "show mounted drives."

When I initially tried to execute Mfscopy, I could not do so. The Mfscopy window essentially has four panes—Source A, Source B, Destination A and Destination B. Source A shows the 750GB drive and Source B the 1TB drive, as selected. But Destination A offers no options expect "none." Same for Destination B. In the past, when I went back and deselected the 1TB drive, I was able to choose it as Destination A and proceed with the copy. Not so this time.

It turns out that I had to erase the Hitachi format. To prevent a stupid mistake, I made sure that my original 750GB drive was disconnected, selected the Hitachi as drive A, then executed WinMFS's erase format command.

Sure enough, I'm now able to perform the copy. WinMFS recognizes both drives, but in Mfscopy I have selected only the 750GB as the source A drive as in the past, copying to the 1TB drive as destination A drive. Once again, to repeat, no drive is selected as the B drive.

That'll come later, when I remove the 750GB drive from the computer, switch the newly copied 1TB drive from B to A, add the fresh (to be external) 1TB drive as B, then perform the Mfsadd. I suspect that WinMFS will recognize the pre-formated Hitachi drive as above, but I might erase its format just to be sure the Mfsadd works correctly.

I'm hoping this works this time. (By the way, WinMFS went blank on the screen this time, but I know now to invoke the Task Manager to monitor the progress of the copy. I don't know why WinMFS refreshes on some occasions but not on others.)

TiVo Series 3 (1TB internal; 1TB external)
SAT-T60 DirecTiVo (retired except to view archived recordings)

Last edited by Burt Spielman : 01-10-2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: to add comment about erasing second Hitachi drive
Burt Spielman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #705
Burger23

Troubleshooting Help, Please

Some months ago I successfully put a 750gb Western drive into my TiVo HD. All worked fine.

Recently, I decided to add another 750gb using the now activated eSata external drive connection. I followed the instructions, called original replacement Western drive #1, and the new Seagate drive, #2. Then I ran mfsAdd and it completed succesfully.

I powered the TiVo on, waited a few minutes for it to boot-- but no picture, no sound. I took everything apart and double checked that connections were good. Powered back up- same problem- no picture, screen is totally black, and no sound. I tried toggling the MODE button on the front of the case- still no picture.

Not sure where to go from here. Should I pull the internal drive and try to run mfsAdd again. Any advice will be appreicated.

FIXED- WORKING NOW! I tore the TiVo down and reconnected hard drives to pc in order to get the mfsinfo.txt file. Got info, put everything back-- and it now works. Go figure-- but I now have 198 hours of HD storage. Fabulous-- thank you so mich Spike for this wonderful tool.

Last edited by Burger23 : 01-10-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Burger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 PM   #706
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger23 View Post
I powered the TiVo on, waited a few minutes for it to boot-- but no picture, no sound. I took everything apart and double checked that connections were good. Powered back up- same problem- no picture, screen is totally black, and no sound. I tried toggling the MODE button on the front of the case- still no picture.

FIXED- WORKING NOW! I tore the TiVo down and reconnected hard drives to pc in order to get the mfsinfo.txt file. Got info, put everything back-- and it now works. Go figure-- but I now have 198 hours of HD storage. Fabulous-- thank you so mich Spike for this wonderful tool.
Heck, you took the fun out of it. I was going to suggest turning your TV on.

Congrats on gettin' 'er dun!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:08 AM   #707
Burt Spielman

Mfsadd Error 26. Will this ever end?

Quote:
I'm hoping this works this time.
Well, it sort of half worked.

I successfully copied the 750GB drive to the new internal 1TB drive. Before running Mfsadd, I dropped the 1TB drive into the TiVo and it worked.

I connected the second 1TB drive to the PC and used WinMFS to erase its format, then reconnected the first 1TB drive (the new internal drive) to the PC. I selected the internal as A and the external as B.

However, when I ran Mfsadd, I encountered "Error Number: 26; Error Message: Something went wrong with mfadd!" (sic)

I disconnected the internal drive so as not to disturb it, then again erased the format of the external drive, now reported as a TiVo drive even though Mfsadd was apparently not successful. Reconnected the internal again as before, tried Mfsadd again, and again got Error 26.

Now what? My patience is really being tried here.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:19 AM   #708
richsadams

Burt, your patience is admirable! I don't have any suggestions other than to visit and post your most recent issues on the MFSLive forum and see if Spike can give you a hand. I haven't seen him posting here for a while so he may be unaware of your trials and tribulations.

Let us know when you hit pay dirt...and I know you will.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:44 AM   #709
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Burt, your patience is admirable! I don't have any suggestions other than to visit and post your most recent issues on the MFSLive forum and see if Spike can give you a hand. I haven't seen him posting here for a while so he may be unaware of your trials and tribulations.

Let us know when you hit pay dirt...and I know you will.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I just visited the MFSLive forum, and found that someone else had the same Error 26 problem I did, under the exact same circumstances. I've PMed him to see if he can offer any further insights.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #710
jlib
Lean Forward

Burt, I have not used WinMFS so I am not the best advisor but I do not see where you are expanding your new internal drive from 750GB to 1TB full capacity after the copy from your current 750GB internal drive. Doesn't mfsadd have to be used both for the expansion of the internal drive and the subsequent marrying of the external drive?

Last edited by jlib : 01-14-2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typo
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #711
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Burt, I have not used WinMFS so I am not the best advisor but I do not see where you are expanding your new internal drive from 750GB to 1TB full capacity after the copy from your current 750GB internal drive. Doesn't mfs add have to be used both for the expansion of the internal drive and the subsequent marrying of the external drive?
At the end of the Mfscopy, you're advised that there's additional capacity available (I don't recall the exact wording) and asked whether you want to expand the drive. With both the old 750GB drive and the newly copied 1TB drive still connected, I figured there could be no harm in answering "yes." Since the old drive couldn't be expanded, I figured that this request applied only to the new drive and wouldn't affect the old. (This may seem obvious, but, as the result of my lengthy saga, I've learned not to take anything for granted as far as these seemingly innocuous questions in the software are concerned.)

About using Mfsadd to marry the internal 1TB to the new 1TB external, I've heard from the fellow on the MFSlive forum who experienced the same Error 26 that I did. He said he resorted to the Linux boot disk, and that, then, the Mfsadd worked. This surprised me somewhat, since Spike, the author of the MFSLive and WinMFS software, stated some time ago that the Boot CD will not work to expand an already expanded drive, leaving WinMFS as the only solution. I guess he never addressed the fact that you need to use the Linux software to do the marrying after having used WinMFS to do the expanding.

I've now progressed to the point where I've burned the boot CD. I'll need to remove the new 1TB internal drive one last (I hope!) time from the TiVo. Then, after futzing with the BIOS (oh, how I wish I were using my Mac, where you simply depress a key on the keyboard to boot from a CD), I'll connect both drives to the PC, exercising extreme care in determining which drive is which (they're both the same size). Not having done this before with the Linux version, I intend to connect one drive at a time to the SATA controller card to see how the program identifies it. That should, I hope, give me a clue about which drive is which.

And, then, I'll do the Mfsadd. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Burt Spielman : 01-11-2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: to add note about Boot CD not useable to expand an already expanded internal drive.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #712
Burt Spielman

Still Not Out of the Woods

Quote:
Stay tuned.
OK, doing the Mafsadd from the Linux Boot CD seems to have worked, as it reported the number of expanded hours at the end.

However (does it seem I'm using that word often?), the TiVo doesn't see the Antec MX-1 external drive. I seem to recall people having problems with the eSATA-to-eSATA cable provided with the MX-1, something to do with the length of the actual connector at the TiVo end of the cable (cf: FAQ,III,24 and 26). I don't think the problem is the MX-1 itself, because I removed the drive from it and, using an independent power supply (from a now-unused USB-to-SATA adapter), hooked the bare drive to the TiVo with the SATA-to-eSATA bracket that came with the MX-1 and the problematic cable.

Now, since the TiVo won't operate without the external drive, I'll have to divorce the drives (yet again!), and wait until I can procure a replacement eSATA II cable.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #713
Ben_Jamin75

Quote:
I seem to recall people having problems with the eSATA-to-eSATA cable provided with the MX-1, something to do with the length of the actual connector at the TiVo end of the cable (cf: FAQ,III,24 and 26).
FWIW I have my MX-1 hooked ut to my TiVoHD with the included cable.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #714
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...I guess he never addressed the fact that you need to use the Linux software to do the marrying after having used WinMFS to do the expanding...
Ah, I see! That is pretty convoluted but if it works I guess it's OK. Hopefully, your current roadblock is just cable related...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #715
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Ah, I see! That is pretty convoluted but if it works I guess it's OK. Hopefully, your current roadblock is just cable related...
Let's hope that's the case. Otherwise, it is the case, Antec, that is! Once again, as I await more hardware, namely the eSATA cable, we'll see.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 AM   #716
agoldberg

Help!

I had Cox come out to help with a pixelation problem, which they did not fix, but while working on the Tivo, they removed my external drive by accident and they went through the removal procedure. Now my drive is not recognized by the system as being there before. Is there any way to get my recordings back? If I add it back to the system and do the initializaion, will I lose all my recordings? Help!!
agoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:44 AM   #717
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoldberg View Post
I had Cox come out to help with a pixelation problem, which they did not fix, but while working on the Tivo, they removed my external drive by accident and they went through the removal procedure. Now my drive is not recognized by the system as being there before. Is there any way to get my recordings back? If I add it back to the system and do the initializaion, will I lose all my recordings? Help!!
Oh no! If the external drive was divorced all of the recordings that were made since the drive was attached are history. TiVo reformats expansion drives every time they are attached. AFAIK no one has been able to recover anything from a divorced drive.

The recordings you had before adding your eSATA drive should still be there however. That's probably not much comfort.

You could sue Cox for pain and suffering.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #718
letsgomets

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do if my TivoHD doesn't recognize the My DVR Expander drive?

I just got the new Tivo (hooked it up with a cable card today and working well) and a My DVR Expander drive. The Tivo is running 9.2. But when I plug in the external drive exactly as the manual says -- repeatedly -- and go to the screen for an external drive, it says that there isn't one. I try it over and over again. The WD support page just says that if it's not recognized, I don't have the correct software installed but according to Tivo, I do.

Defective drive? Defective Tivo? Or something else I can fix myself?

Thanks.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #719
Ben_Jamin75

Could be the cable. Search this thread for esata cable or my dvr expander. There have been reports of bad cables shipping with the dvr expander.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:59 AM   #720
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgomets View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do if my TivoHD doesn't recognize the My DVR Expander drive?

I just got the new Tivo (hooked it up with a cable card today and working well) and a My DVR Expander drive. The Tivo is running 9.2. But when I plug in the external drive exactly as the manual says -- repeatedly -- and go to the screen for an external drive, it says that there isn't one. I try it over and over again. The WD support page just says that if it's not recognized, I don't have the correct software installed but according to Tivo, I do.

Defective drive? Defective Tivo? Or something else I can fix myself?

Thanks.
Two reports of the same thing in one day. You'd think WD and/or TiVo would get a grip on this. Sheesh! As Ben_Jamin75 suggests, you're not alone. He is also correct, it is likely a bad eSATA cable.

Click here to read my response to the same question on another thread.