TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #7021
lsitter

Big Grin

Thanks. I'm pretty pumped about not having Hannah Montana delete my programs before I have a chance to watch them!

I'm down to putting away my tools and waiting for the 2nd TiVo to fire up. It just may be time for a Dairy Queen Blizzard run!

Thanks again for all of your help. What a great forum this is, from teaching me S-P-S-30-S to upgrading 21 hours of hd content to 157 hours X 2 TiVos!

Next, I need to figure out how to view my home videos on the computer via my TiVo on the TV and how to access my TiVo content from the internet when I travel.
lsitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #7022
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsitter View Post
Disregard. The hard drive wont fit if you install it on wrong side of bracket. I'm an idiot. All is well (except me).
Welcome to The Club!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:13 AM   #7023
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
Welcome to The Club!
Which one...the Eediot's Club or the "Supersized" TiVo Club?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #7024
richsadams

Quote:
Next, I need to figure out how to view my home videos on the computer via my TiVo on the TV
PyTivo, (PyTiVoX) or KMTTG.

Quote:
...and how to access my TiVo content from the internet when I travel.
Slingbox.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:06 AM   #7025
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
The Eediot's Supersized Ego Club!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #7026
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Both. It includes the folks (like myself) that have closed up their TiVo after the upgrade without attaching the SATA cable.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #7027
crak

I just purchased this one to upgrade my Tivo Hd, I did a series 2 about 5 years ago, so I expect to be even easier this time around. Wish me luck.
crak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #7028
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by crak View Post
I just purchased this one to upgrade my Tivo Hd, I did a series 2 about 5 years ago, so I expect to be even easier this time around. Wish me luck.
winMFS will be a cake walk for you, so you won't need a whole lot of luck as long as you don't miss any steps. But good luck anyway and happy upgrading!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #7029
Spenner

Can I use WinMFS to copy my already-upgraded Tivo HD 1TB drive to a new 1TB drive, preserving recordings? If so are there any restrictions on the replacement drive (same manufacturer [WD], block size, or something), if I plan on the size staying 1TB?

I ask because my Tivo HD is getting the S03 error, where it can't load program guide data. I searched on the S03 error, and already tried rebooting, and clearing the program info, but it still gets the S03.

I'm reluctant to do a kickstart for fear of getting into a reboot loop, since my Tivo is at least still functional, so if I can get my recordings over to a new drive I'd prefer to do that than have to start from scratch.

My HD was upgraded from the standard 160GB to a 1TB over a year ago, I still have the original drive. I'd be looking to copy from my still-functioning 1TB to a new 1TB.

Thanks!
Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #7030
jjberger2134

Hi, I hope someone here can provide some advice for me. About 6-7 months ago I upgraded my stock TiVoHD to a Hitachi 1TB drive. The upgrade went smoothly thanks to the help that I found here.

Unfortunately, lately I have noticed a lot of pixelization (no reboots or anything). Sometimes there is just a few "blocks" of bad images on the TV screen, sometimes the whole screen looks like a scrambled puzzle. In all cases the breakup lasts for a few seconds, but is usually followed by a series of these events. I have had Comcast out here to check the signal etc. (I have also had random dropped audio on my phone calls). Comcast has been here 2x and they have changed wiring, connections, etc. and claim my signal should be perfect.

Thus, my attention turns to the Hitachi Hard drive. I am thinking about replacing the drive, but before I do I have a few questions.

1. Do you think the drive is the culprit, based on my description?

2. Can I replace a 1TB drive with another 1TB drive? I remember reading that older TiVo models always had to have a larger replacement drive than the original, but does the 2nd replacement drive need to be larger than the original replacement drive?

3. I already received an RMA number from Hitachi and need to send them the 1TB drive first, then they will send a replacement within 2 weeks. For the 2 week period, can I "downgrade" to the original 30 hr TiVoHD drive?

4. How do you suggest that I save all of my Season Passes, and settings? I need to send back the bad drive first, then they will send me a replacement. So I cannot just use MFS.

Thanks in advance for your help!
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #7031
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can use WinMFS to make a backup first, then restore to another drive, they do not need to be connected at the same time.

~~~~~

Old 11-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #7032
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjberger2134 View Post
2. Can I replace a 1TB drive with another 1TB drive? I remember reading that older TiVo models always had to have a larger replacement drive than the original, but does the 2nd replacement drive need to be larger than the original replacement drive?
You must have a WinMFS backup from your original drive from when you first upgraded to 1 TB. I would restore that. I don't know about the must-increase-size question you mention but there is a chance a backup from your current 1 TB drive might be corrupt (since the drive is suspected of failing), so it would be safer to use the original backup.

Also, I would want to run the Hitachi extended diagnostics on your current drive before sending it back. It might not be the drive that is the problem.

You could sub the original drive back in. Be sure to get it to upgrade to the latest software (11.0j) before making any judgments. This is a good way to tell if the problems are the hard drive (assuming your original drive was good when removed).

Of course if you have changed cable cards since removing the original drive, that will be a complication. Either using the original drive, or using a restored backup from it, you will have to get your cards repaired. In that case your question about always-increase-size becomes important since you will want to use a backup of your current drive.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #7033
unitron

WinMFS not my area of expertise, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
Can I use WinMFS to copy my already-upgraded Tivo HD 1TB drive to a new 1TB drive, preserving recordings? If so are there any restrictions on the replacement drive (same manufacturer [WD], block size, or something), if I plan on the size staying 1TB?

I ask because my Tivo HD is getting the S03 error, where it can't load program guide data. I searched on the S03 error, and already tried rebooting, and clearing the program info, but it still gets the S03.

I'm reluctant to do a kickstart for fear of getting into a reboot loop, since my Tivo is at least still functional, so if I can get my recordings over to a new drive I'd prefer to do that than have to start from scratch.

My HD was upgraded from the standard 160GB to a 1TB over a year ago, I still have the original drive. I'd be looking to copy from my still-functioning 1TB to a new 1TB.

Thanks!

You don't have to have the same brand or same model. If they both show the same LBA number, that should be sufficient.

I'm assuming you're talking about using a new, virgin 1TB drive. If it's been use elsewhere, say so, and we'll talk about checking for a "Host Protected Area" that could have been put on it.

The first thing to do is backup the original small drive to a file (assuming the original small drive was removed from the TiVo and put on a shelf instead of being used for something else), then restore from that file to this new 1TB drive (you don't have to expand it), and test that in the TiVo to be sure that you have a good backup file.

See if you can load program guide data successfully. If not, then the problem is probably somewhere other than any of your hard drives.

If you can, then it's likely your original replacement 1TB drive, either because of a physical defect that's developed in the drive, or corruption of the software stored on that drive even though the drive itself is alright, or it's both.

Then you'll take the new drive back out of the Tivo and hook it back up to your computer to copy your current 1TB drive.

I haven't played with WinMFS yet, but I think MFScopy, which is one of the things it does, is approximately the same as using the MFS Live CD to

backup -Tao - /dev/"source" | restore -s "swap partition size" -pi - /dev/"destination

The "Ta" switches back up everything, the "o - " switch sends the backup stream to "standard output", the pipe ( | ) re-directs standard output to the next command, which is "restore", the "s" switch sets the swap partition size on the destination drive (since it's empty space, you don't need to copy it, you just need to re-create the partition that holds it), the "p" switch tells it to arrange the partitions according to the post Series 1 scheme, and the "i -" tells it to get its input from "standard input" which is where the pipe redirected the output of the first command (backup).

You might want to go look at the "Full Guide" for the MFS Live CD to get an idea of what's going on.

Of course if something is screwed up on the original drive the copy will have the same problem, but at least you'll have a copy of your shows on a drive that's no worse off than the original.

Also, you can put the new copy in the machine, and see if it makes any difference at all.

If things are better with the new drive, that's not a guarantee that the old drive is bad, but it's an indicator that it might be.

Do your kickstart experiments on the new 1TB copy of the old 1TB drive.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #7034
crak

Quote:
winMFS will be a cake walk for you, so you won't need a whole lot of luck as long as you don't miss any steps. But good luck anyway and happy upgrading!
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the community and you for the great work here.
crak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #7035
fkong777

HI, I have a TivoHD tcd652160 dead at the startup screen for a few months now. Can someone provide me with a ISO or image for the Harddrive? I have a fresh 1TB hard drive at hand. I just want to get the unit up again.

TIA.
fkong777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #7036
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkong777 View Post
HI, I have a TivoHD tcd652160 dead at the startup screen for a few months now. Can someone provide me with a ISO or image for the Harddrive? I have a fresh 1TB hard drive at hand. I just want to get the unit up again.

TIA.
It's not legal to post/trade original TiVo images. Your best bet is to buy a copy of Instant Cake and use that to upgrade to your new drive.

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/instantcake.cfm
Old 12-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #7037
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
It's not legal to post/trade original TiVo images.
One time I had a PM asking me for a copy of my backup of the THD, I refused that request.

~~~~~

Old 12-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #7038
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
One time I had a PM asking me for a copy of my backup of the THD, I refused that request.
Wise move...might have been one of those TiVo Police stings we keep hearing about.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #7039
SteveG

Apparent successful jmfs upgrade to 2tb in TivoHD.

This past weekend, I seem to have successfully used jmfs to duplicate an original 160gb and expand to utilize a full replacement 2tb drive. I then used winmfs to supersize. Reading has indicated that using jmfs's supersize will not work in a TivoHD.

It has now been running for 4-5 days with no apparent issues.

I'll report back if that changes, but very nice to have >300 hours of HD.

Thanks very much for all the fantastic information and enthusiasm in this forum.

Steve
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #7040
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
This past weekend, I seem to have successfully used jmfs to duplicate an original 160gb and expand to utilize a full replacement 2tb drive. I then used winmfs to supersize. Reading has indicated that using jmfs's supersize will not work in a TivoHD.

It has now been running for 4-5 days with no apparent issues.

I'll report back if that changes, but very nice to have >300 hours of HD.

Thanks very much for all the fantastic information and enthusiasm in this forum.

Steve
Thanks for that...it does sound promising.

For those that have TiVo HD/HDXL's and are willing to experiment a bit there's a thread discussing full 2TB upgrades. The upgrade is accomplished via a Linux program which the author, Comer, has generously created for a turn-key experience. The caveat is that it was designed to upgrade TiVo Premiere/Premiere XL's, but appears to also work with TiVo HD/HDXL's. (Unfortunately it does not work with the original TiVo Series3 due to partition issues). Bugs have appeared for those trying to use an eSATA drive after the 2TB upgrade as well.

Because the process employs a Linux boot CD it's different than using winMFS and takes a bit more work and time but not all that complicated. The caveat is that since it's fairly new and, again was designed for the Premier models it's unproven so upgrade at your own risk. Here's the link to the instructions and ISO file:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968
Old 12-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #7041
richsadams

1TB WD My DVR Expander $89.95

I'm not a big proponent of external hard drives, but for anyone in the market this is a fairly good deal on the "TiVo approved" 1TB Western Digital My DVR Expander - $89.95 w/free shipping from a reputable e-tailer:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&A=details&Q=

Works with all hi-def TiVo's. (Although it looks like it's being replaced with the newer 1TB Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander.)

NOTE: This will not work via plug and play with TiVo's that have an upgraded hard drive.

Last edited by richsadams : 12-01-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 12-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #7042
BrightestBear

OK, that 2 TB replacement hard drive that was stuck in an endless powering up cycle a few days ago? I popped the top of the TiVo, unplugged and reconnected the wire to the hard drive, and voila. It's working beautifully! I mean, a Comcast fella had to come out because they couldn't get the cable card re-paired over the phone. But now I've got the new drive loaded up with Season Passes galore -- all set to "save until I delete." Let the recording commence!
BrightestBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #7043
richsadams

Sweet! Enjoy!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #7044
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
What software version was on the original 160GB drive?

It's my understanding, some have reported, that they had to allow their un-updated (pulled, in a "virgin", never booted and/or updated state) drives to boot and update before the jmfs tools would work for the THD.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #7045
wtherrell

Repair, buy new, sell old one?

I have a THD with 1 Tb upgrade to WD Green Caviar. About a year ago I did the WMFS upgrade myself. Not sure I want to tackle again as I am now getting the SO3 error. Also the HDMI connector is apparently bad. BUT! It has Lifetime service on it! Also, I have saved the original drive that came with the THD--there was nothing wrong with it, just wanted more space.

I'm thinking of either sending to weaknees for repair or buying new Premiere XL with LTS and selling the THD.
I've done the math and repair is around $250 cheaper than getting the new XL with LTS.
When (if) I get the new box can I somehow transfer the recordings on the old box to the new? The only thing I know I can transfer is Season Passes thru Tivo website. Or I guess I could just hook both boxes to TV and watch the recordings on the old one until thru with them. Also, I think I can print out the To Do List from Tivo.com. Easiest way to transfer wishlist? I'm thinking photographing screens and setting up again on new box.
Any suggestions to help me decide?
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #7046
wireless200

Just upgraded my series 3 HD to 1 TB. No problems. Wish I'd done it a long time ago.
wireless200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #7047
BrightestBear

Yep, I'm feeling the same way about my upgrade! Why did I wait so long?
BrightestBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #7048
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
I have a THD with 1 Tb upgrade to WD Green Caviar. About a year ago I did the WMFS upgrade myself. Not sure I want to tackle again as I am now getting the SO3 error. Also the HDMI connector is apparently bad. BUT! It has Lifetime service on it! Also, I have saved the original drive that came with the THD--there was nothing wrong with it, just wanted more space.

I'm thinking of either sending to weaknees for repair or buying new Premiere XL with LTS and selling the THD.
I've done the math and repair is around $250 cheaper than getting the new XL with LTS.
When (if) I get the new box can I somehow transfer the recordings on the old box to the new? The only thing I know I can transfer is Season Passes thru Tivo website. Or I guess I could just hook both boxes to TV and watch the recordings on the old one until thru with them. Also, I think I can print out the To Do List from Tivo.com. Easiest way to transfer wishlist? I'm thinking photographing screens and setting up again on new box.
Any suggestions to help me decide?
I would look into getting a unit off Craigslist, Ebay or a new one from Block Buster for $99. Take your MOBO out and put it in the new unit. Then I would upgrade the drive myself again. For $150 you can have a new unit with Lifetime and a new 1TB drive.

As for the shows, does the unit boot up? Can you transfer the shows to a PC via Tivo desktop? You could use Winmfs and do a full copy but if the image is corrupted you take the chance of transferring that to the new unit.

Your in good shape with the original drive and all. You could slip it back in and see if that clears the error. Either way you have a good image on the original drive or the drive from the one you would buy.

Just some random thoughts.

Robb

Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #7049
wisny

Hey, I know I've seen you guys discuss this before, but I can't remember, and can't find the brand names y'all recommend for external harddrives for a PC?

I am going to try transferring whatever shows I can via TiVo desktop but my very old external storage is only 100gb. Any recommendations?

It' Windows XP Media Center pc.
wisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #7050
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisny View Post
Hey, I know I've seen you guys discuss this before, but I can't remember, and can't find the brand names y'all recommend for external harddrives for a PC?

I am going to try transferring whatever shows I can via TiVo desktop but my very old external storage is only 100gb. Any recommendations?

It' Windows XP Media Center pc.
You can use any external drive for a PC to do external storage for transferring recordings. This thread is about expanding/replacing the internal drive and which drives work in the Tivo.

~~~~~