TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #6991
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmassey View Post
(BF/11-26-10) ~ WD15EARS is $59 at Amazon, I'm in for one.

I have a lifetime S3 with the factory 250 Int + 1T Ext/MX-1. Both drives are 3.5ish years old, so I consider this preventative maintenance. My plan is to upgrade to one internal 1.5T (using 1350g) and keep it simple. I don't care about wasting 150gb with this upgrade.

My Tivo sits in a rack closet. Whenever I go into the closet, if I just happen to bump the eSata wire just right, the S3 reboots. It always comes up just fine, but I kinda want to eliminate this issue with one internal drive. Hopefully I get a 15EARS that does not require the intellipark to be disabled.

I upgraded a Tivo HD (160 + 500 WD Ext) to 1 TB internal using WinMFS a few weeks ago. Upgrade worked fine. So, looking to have same results with the S3 upgrade plan.
Thanks for the tip! Good plan all around. Happy upgrading!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #6992
unitron

$50 1TB drive at the egg, any good?

NewEgg's selling the ST31000528AS for $49.99 with free shipping.

Customer reviews are mixed (although I assume that the people who get bad ones are more likely to take the time to post a review), and a lot of the unhappy ones seem to put at least some of the blame on the way NewEgg ships OEM drives if you aren't buying a whole pallet.

Any opinions on the TiVo-bility of this model (especially if from NewEgg), particularly in an S2 (with adapter)?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #6993
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
NewEgg's selling the ST31000528AS for $49.99 with free shipping.

Customer reviews are mixed (although I assume that the people who get bad ones are more likely to take the time to post a review), and a lot of the unhappy ones seem to put at least some of the blame on the way NewEgg ships OEM drives if you aren't buying a whole pallet.

Any opinions on the TiVo-bility of this model (especially if from NewEgg), particularly in an S2 (with adapter)?
Two things I can say, from my own personal experience:

NewEgg packages bulk hard drives in the worst possible way (short of taking it out of the factory anti-static bag first). My two drives arrived with the outer box in perfect condition. The inner packaging left nothing but two thin layers of cardboard between the two drives, as well as between the drives and the outside of the box.

WD hard drives are manufactured with safeguards to prevent damage during shipping. I can't say that I am aware of any other manufacturer that does that. If not for that, and the apparently gentle transport that my drives experienced, I probably would have received two DOA drives.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #6994
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
Two things I can say, from my own personal experience:

NewEgg packages bulk hard drives in the worst possible way (short of taking it out of the factory anti-static bag first). My two drives arrived with the outer box in perfect condition. The inner packaging left nothing but two thin layers of cardboard between the two drives, as well as between the drives and the outside of the box.

WD hard drives are manufactured with safeguards to prevent damage during shipping. I can't say that I am aware of any other manufacturer that does that. If not for that, and the apparently gentle transport that my drives experienced, I probably would have received two DOA drives.
FWIW: I was also surprised by the EGG's packaging. The 1TB I got was packaged crappy. It was in the anti static bag, but was flopping in the box with little security. It could have easily been DOA but lucky for me it was not.

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #6995
unitron

Re: $50 Seagate at NewEgg

Thanks, guys.

Now, any opinions about grabbing an Hitachi 0S02484 X Series External 1TB for $50 from OfficeMax and using the drive inside itself in a TiVo?

(I think I might be kidding about this, 'cause it's only got a 1 year warranty even if you don't "take it apart to see how it would have worked"* : - )

*I've got track down that quote again and start giving proper credit to the guy who came up the perfect way to describe my childhood exploits (even if he was talking about himself).

Old 11-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #6996
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

I'm not saying I would not buy from Newegg again cause I would. I was just saying that I was surprised how crappy it was packaged. I'm sure they would exchange it if it came damaged. I tend to buy most of the computer related stuff I get from them or Amazon.

I like the Egg cause they accept Paypal and even price matched Amazon last time. They say they don't price match but it never hurts to ask .

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #6997
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
FWIW: I was also surprised by the EGG's packaging. The 1TB I got was packaged crappy. It was in the anti static bag, but was flopping in the box with little security. It could have easily been DOA but lucky for me it was not.

Robb
I didn't mean that they actually took the drives out of the anti-static bags. I just meant that it would be about the only way to ship the drives with any less protection from damage.

As it were, each of the drives had two slits through the ESD bags, so they weren't even vacuum sealed anymore...

I'd still buy from them again, if the discount was as big as the last time...
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #6998
unitron

The ultimate hard drive (sort of)

You'll want *all* your TiVo storage to be external.

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/11/26/seagate_delorean/

Be the first on your block to have a TiVo with a flux capacitor!*

*(Not the same thing as all those BX chipset mobo's with "fluxed" capacitors)

Old 11-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #6999
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmassey View Post
Both drives are 3.5ish years old, so I consider this preventative maintenance. My plan is to upgrade to one internal 1.5T (using 1350g) and keep it simple. I don't care about wasting 150gb with this upgrade.
I think it's smart to be proactive about replacing disk drives, unfortunately I'm too lazy.

But what bugs me about drive replacement is the chorus of people who say "I've been using hard drives since ferrous oxide was discovered and I've never had a failure". To which my response is, there's never a question of whether a drive is going to fail, the only question is when.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #7000
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Thanks, guys.

Now, any opinions about grabbing an Hitachi 0S02484 X Series External 1TB for $50 from OfficeMax and using the drive inside itself in a TiVo?.
Noisy (AAM probably can't be adjusted) and hot. Warranty is voided if removed from the enclosure.

Last edited by richsadams : 11-26-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #7001
rmassey
Damn, these are fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
I think it's smart to be proactive about replacing disk drives, unfortunately I'm too lazy.

But what bugs me about drive replacement is the chorus of people who say "I've been using hard drives since ferrous oxide was discovered and I've never had a failure". To which my response is, there's never a question of whether a drive is going to fail, the only question is when.
I agree. In the case of my Tivo, it's easier/wiser to replace it now with a working factory drive using WinMFS.

For computers/servers, I'll use the drive until it fails (I have 2-3 backups of all my data) or until the size of the drive becomes obsolete for my needs. Heck I still have some 250GB IDE drives from 2002 that still work fine. It's just that they are relatively small compared to 1-2TB available today. I still use them but not actively on my servers.
rmassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #7002
nwnerd

Hi there,
I just wanted to say that I upgraded the hd in my Tivo HD last night thanks to this splendid guide. I happened to have a 1TB drive that I had been using in my HTPC, but I'm scrapping the HTPC & this seemed to be a perfect spot for that hd. So thanks to all of the contributors, it wasn't bad at all & now I have plenty of space on the Tivo.

One question that I do have: my drive is a WD Green drive, an EACS model. It installed & booted up with no problem, & I did a restart of the system to test it. No problems there either. Will the hanging problem that was mentioned in the guide that the Green drives have/had only show up after a software update? Or am I good to go? I didn't do the fix that the author talked about, so I'm not sure if this is something that will show up in the future.
nwnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #7003
Romantic

I have been reading all morning and still am not sure. Are these instructions applicable to the DirecTV HR10-250 TiVo units as well? I want to replace my existing HD with a new 1 TB and keep all my existing programs and season passes. I think the current HD is going bad as the picture quality on this unit is getting “choppy” while my other unit is still playing the same shows fine.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #7004
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracie View Post
One question that I do have: my drive is a WD Green drive, an EACS model. It installed & booted up with no problem, & I did a restart of the system to test it. No problems there either. Will the hanging problem that was mentioned in the guide that the Green drives have/had only show up after a software update? Or am I good to go? I didn't do the fix that the author talked about, so I'm not sure if this is something that will show up in the future.
If your TiVo rebooted from a menu restart you're good to go. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 11-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #7005
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic View Post
I have been reading all morning and still am not sure. Are these instructions applicable to the DirecTV HR10-250 TiVo units as well? I want to replace my existing HD with a new 1 TB and keep all my existing programs and season passes. I think the current HD is going bad as the picture quality on this unit is getting “choppy” while my other unit is still playing the same shows fine.

Thanks!
Perhaps someone else will chime in but my honest answer is that I don't know. The FAQ is for the original TiVo Series3 and the TiVo HD/HDXL.

IIRC TiVo's built-in diagnostic and repair programs called "Kickstarts" will work on your TiVo so you could give them a try:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

Otherwise it sounds like you need an answer right away so you might have better luck over on one of the DirecTV threads or the TiVo Help Center thread.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #7006
nwnerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
If your TiVo rebooted from a menu restart you're good to go. Congrats and enjoy!
Cool, thank you! And thanks again to all in the thread, I'm stoked that I can actually turn suggestions back on.
nwnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #7007
willard

WD10EVDS vs WD15EVDS?

Would someone mind giving me some advice as to whether I should purchase the 1TB EVDS drive or the 1.5TB EVDS drive? The price difference appears to be about $15. I think the extra money is worth the additional extra capacity (1.26 TB vs 1TB right?) I just would like to know if creating the 1.26TB capacity creates any additional complications or potential for problems. I would like to follow an upgrade path that allows me to clone my original TIVO HD 250 gb drive onto the new drive... if creating the larger partition causes any quirks or requires any additional 'expertise' to complete the upgrade I will just stick with the standard 1 TB drive.

Thanks for your help.
willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #7008
BrightestBear

Help! I've just installed a 2TB hard drive from DVR Dude into my HD XL, and I'm now stuck on the "Welcome! Powering up ..." screen. After about 15 minutes without budging, I unplugged it and plugged it back in, this time after disconnecting the wireless adapter and popping out the cable card. But I'm still stuck on the powering up screen, and it's closing in on 20 minutes now. Any advice? I'm assuming since I actually see the powering up screen that I installed the hard drive correctly and something else is going wrong?
BrightestBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #7009
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightestBear View Post
Help! I've just installed a 2TB hard drive from DVR Dude into my HD XL, and I'm now stuck on the "Welcome! Powering up ..." screen. After about 15 minutes without budging, I unplugged it and plugged it back in, this time after disconnecting the wireless adapter and popping out the cable card. But I'm still stuck on the powering up screen, and it's closing in on 20 minutes now. Any advice? I'm assuming since I actually see the powering up screen that I installed the hard drive correctly and something else is going wrong?
If your TiVo is hanging on the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen it means that the motherboard cannot communicate with the hard drive.

Are you sure you reconnected the SATA/power cable to the new drive before closing the box up? Can you hear the hard drive spin up when you plug TiVo in? If everything is connected properly the drive may be DOA.

Try putting your original drive back in and see if TiVo boots up normally. If so I'd contact DVRDude about a replacement.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #7010
BrightestBear

Quote:
If your TiVo is hanging on the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen it means that the motherboard cannot communicate with the hard drive.

Are you sure you reconnected the SATA/power cable to the new drive before closing the box up? Can you hear the hard drive spin up when you plug TiVo in? If everything is connected properly the drive may be DOA.

Try putting your original drive back in and see if TiVo boots up normally. If so I'd contact DVRDude about a replacement.
Thanks for the suggestions! What really worries me is that this is replacing a bad hard drive that was -- you guessed it! -- stuck in the "powering up" loop. Now I'm worried that there was something more wrong with the unit than a bad hard drive that a new one won't fix.

But I'll definitely listen for the drive and, if necessary, crack it open and make sure all the cables were properly connected.
BrightestBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #7011
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by willard View Post
Would someone mind giving me some advice as to whether I should purchase the 1TB EVDS drive or the 1.5TB EVDS drive? The price difference appears to be about $15. I think the extra money is worth the additional extra capacity (1.26 TB vs 1TB right?) I just would like to know if creating the 1.26TB capacity creates any additional complications or potential for problems. I would like to follow an upgrade path that allows me to clone my original TIVO HD 250 gb drive onto the new drive... if creating the larger partition causes any quirks or requires any additional 'expertise' to complete the upgrade I will just stick with the standard 1 TB drive.

Thanks for your help.
If the price/space is worth it, go for the larger drive. As long as you follow all of the steps in the FAQ correctly there shouldn't be any issues. Review Section V, #'s 17 & 18 of the FAQ for more details.

Happy upgrading!
Old 11-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #7012
lsitter

Doing the upgrade... Yikes!

Just the heads up: I'm knee deep in the hoopla... or something like that. I'm in the middle of the upgrade, doing the Mfscopy part down. ETA of 40 minutes. I hope that is normal.

So far, all has gone well. No issues, other than I order the wrong power connector for the replacement drive to connect it to my computer. Luckily, I had an extra power supply connector that I was able to use. I was dreading yet another trip to Best Buy.

The only thing that has had me a little leary is that my source (original) drive is showing up as drive "2" and my replacement as drive "1" in the WinMFS program. I'm sure that is just because of how it was connected to my computer and I hope that won't be an issue.

I did order the WD EVDS drives (2 TiVos, no waiting) from Amazon and they have a manufacture date of October 14, 2010. I should be good on the power issue, right?

Anyway, thanks to all that have replied to my dumb questions and for your great advice!
lsitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #7013
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsitter View Post
Just the heads up: I'm knee deep in the hoopla... or something like that. I'm in the middle of the upgrade, doing the Mfscopy part down. ETA of 40 minutes. I hope that is normal.

So far, all has gone well. No issues, other than I order the wrong power connector for the replacement drive to connect it to my computer. Luckily, I had an extra power supply connector that I was able to use. I was dreading yet another trip to Best Buy.

The only thing that has had me a little leary is that my source (original) drive is showing up as drive "2" and my replacement as drive "1" in the WinMFS program. I'm sure that is just because of how it was connected to my computer and I hope that won't be an issue.

I did order the WD EVDS drives (2 TiVos, no waiting) from Amazon and they have a manufacture date of October 14, 2010. I should be good on the power issue, right?

Anyway, thanks to all that have replied to my dumb questions and for your great advice!
Everything sounds fine. If the progress meter doesn't move for a while, not to worry, that's fairly normal. You can open Task Manager (or better yet use Process Explorer) to find out if the program is working. One other small thing may happen..when you click on "Supersize" a pop-up confirmation can appear behind the winMFS window...so if you click on Supersize and don't see anything, move the winMFS menu out of the way and it will probably be there.

Have fun!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #7014
lsitter

A problem: The new drive wont fit the tivo bracket due to the way the hard drive is made. I will have to modify the bracket or get longer screws. The hard drive has some sort of "cross member" support that is interfering with the lip on the bracket. Hopefully, tin snips can take care of the issue.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #7015
richsadams

Quote:
A problem: The new drive wont fit the tivo bracket due to the way the hard drive is made. I will have to modify the bracket or get longer screws. The hard drive has some sort of "cross member" support that is interfering with the lip on the bracket. Hopefully, tin snips can take care of the issue.
Really? That's a first! I know that particular drive has been used quite a few times w/o any issues. Be sure you're trying to reinstall it properly before making any physical changes to the drive (or TiVo) as it will certainly void the warranty.

If you can post photos of the problem area it might help.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #7016
lsitter

Disregard. The hard drive wont fit if you install it on wrong side of bracket. I'm an idiot. All is well (except me).
Old 11-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #7017
richsadams

Quote:
Disregard. The hard drive wont fit if you install it on wrong side of bracket. I'm an idiot. All is well (except me).
Phew!! Happens to the best of us.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #7018
lsitter

Success! I am now doing the 2nd TiVo. I expect this to go much quicker and easier.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #7019
richsadams

Quote:
Success! I am now doing the 2nd TiVo. I expect this to go much quicker and easier.
You'll be able to do it with your eyes closed in no time!

Congrats on your "first born" by the way.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #7020
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Congrats on your "first born" by the way.
Watch out for those overnight feedings.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote