Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #6931
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
Would a Linux boot CD be more tolerant of some faults on the source drive than WinMFS?

Could someone please give me a "copy and paste" command line to use for such a beast? I know I'd have to determine the correct source and destination drive. I'm going from a 160GB original drive to a 1.5TB upgrade drive on a TiVo HD.

Thanks!
The one you had above will work fine. Again, the only risk is having the wrong source or destination, in particular if you put your TiVo drive as the destination, you'll maybe wipe it. Just don't do that. The commands I stated above help figure out which is which, I'll add another here I'd forgotten about. The dmesg output is the bootup messages from kernel, which will include information on your hard drives. The second "grep" one looks for any lines containing "/dev/".

fdisk -l

dmesg

dmesg | grep "/dev/"

mfsinfo /dev/xxx

ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #6932
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Spinrite is still at 91%. I just broke the news to my buddy that they may get an upgrade without recordings.
Leave it alone. The guy who emailed Steve Gibson says it took over 20 days but he ended up with everything intact.
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #6933
richsadams

Quote:
Spinrite is still at 91%. I just broke the news to my buddy that they may get an upgrade without recordings.
Ugh. Well, at least you zeroed in on the problem. So your buddy s/b grateful for all of your hard work anyway...plus getting a super-sized TiVo!

BTW, I don't think using MFSTools Vs winMFS would make any difference.

Glad to know you'll be able to get back to your normal life soon!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #6934
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Leave it alone. The guy who emailed Steve Gibson says it took over 20 days but he ended up with everything intact.
20 days?!! Well...it's worth a try if they can last that long w/o TiVo I guess.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #6935
justen_m

Rich, hang in there man. You're doing good. You're helping people. Please don't stop. I upgraded my HD to 1GB, thanks to you man.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #6936
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
I upgraded my HD to 1GB, thanks to you man.
Woah! Don't go blaming me for your problems. Thanks for the kind words...just a little labor of love; trying to give back now and then.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #6937
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
Rich, hang in there man. You're doing good. You're helping people. Please don't stop. I upgraded my HD to 1GB, thanks to you man.

Rich is the keeper of the upgrade. I learn something new everyday lurking here. The time you take to explain and the info you provide is a Godsend. I too upgraded to 1TB with your assistance. A heart felt THANKS.

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #6938
bowlingblogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post

Rich is the keeper of the upgrade. I learn something new everyday lurking here. The time you take to explain and the info you provide is a Godsend. I too upgraded to 1TB with your assistance. A heart felt THANKS.

Robb
+2! I've been lurking here since I upgraded over a year ago and I keep learning too. And now I know what to do if I make the jump to the Premiere. Thanks Rich!
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:13 AM   #6939
vectorcatch

I thought I'd post some information about a short experiment performed with JMFS and a TiVo HD. (I decided to experiment with a drive that was not being used, 320GB WD Scorpio Blue).

I started with the stock TiVo HD drive (160GB) with 11.0j installed.
  1. Performed a copy with JMFS to the 320GB drive. (~2 hrs using ESATA docks)
  2. Performed an expand and then a supersize using JMFS.
  3. Placed the drive back in the TiVo HD. It booted fine, but only displayed the standard 21 hrs.
  4. Tried an expand again with JMFS, expand failed since it had already been done.
  5. Tried Supersize again with JMFS, tool reported success, but again had no effect when placed back in the TiVo.
  6. Used WinMFS to turn SuperSize on (no other modifications using WinMFS)
  7. Placed back in TiVo and rebooted. TiVo reported 47 HD hrs.
  8. Trying to fill up to test extra space now to verify space actually works (seems good so far).

Some of this is a double post from the JMFS thread, but I thought it may be of interest to someone looking in this thread.
vectorcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:15 AM   #6940
richsadams

Ah, come on guys...[kicking instep]...this is just embarrassing now.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #6941
Corran Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingblogger View Post
+2! I've been lurking here since I upgraded over a year ago and I keep learning too. And now I know what to do if I make the jump to the Premiere. Thanks Rich!
Very much agreed. This thread really helped me out, particularly the WD Green drive Intellipark tips!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #6942
s2krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Oh...I forgot about that. (Things become a blur after a while ) In that case I'd go ahead and create a truncated backup from the Hitachi, use that to image the new drive and see how things go. Worst case is that you have to use IC, but hopefully that'll do it.
Utter despair sets in. I re-caked the new WD drive, wdidle'd it (July mfg date) and set everything up again. Forced the upgrades to software 11J and reset season passes. Everything was going great and I was almost ready to take the drive out to winmfs it when today it just went blank.

My wife was watching a netflix movie, and the screen just went black. No audio, no picture. The only thing on the screen was the Sony TV input designation "receiver". As a double check, I switched to the DVD and it worked fine, switched back to the Tivo and same black screen.

So I pulled the plug and... nothing. Not even the welcome screen. There is the green LED on the front and I can hear the HD ticking, and the fan is running, but there seems to be no AV output. The cover is still off cause I was planning to pull the drive, and I don't smell any burnt things, she didn't hear a cap explode or anything. Just a black screen. Considering our history with this machine, do you think it's toast (along with my lifetime sub)?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #6943
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2krazy View Post
Utter despair sets in. I re-caked the new WD drive, wdidle'd it (July mfg date) and set everything up again. Forced the upgrades to software 11J and reset season passes. Everything was going great and I was almost ready to take the drive out to winmfs it when today it just went blank.

My wife was watching a netflix movie, and the screen just went black. No audio, no picture. The only thing on the screen was the Sony TV input designation "receiver". As a double check, I switched to the DVD and it worked fine, switched back to the Tivo and same black screen.

So I pulled the plug and... nothing. Not even the welcome screen. There is the green LED on the front and I can hear the HD ticking, and the fan is running, but there seems to be no AV output. The cover is still off cause I was planning to pull the drive, and I don't smell any burnt things, she didn't hear a cap explode or anything. Just a black screen. Considering our history with this machine, do you think it's toast (along with my lifetime sub)?
Yikes! How is your TiVo connected to your Sony TV? If it's via HDMI, can you try connecting it via component (YPbPr) or even composite? The reason I ask is that historically TiVo and certain Sony TV's have had HDCP handshake issues and what you're describing is similar to what's been reported from time-to-time. Some folks have been able to power down TiVo, power down their Sony TV, essentially making a new connection and things were good again.

Failing that, can you try connecting your TiVo to another TV to see how it does?

It's certainly possible something is up, but let's make sure it's TiVo that's misbehaving first.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #6944
s2krazy

Quote:
Yikes! How is your TiVo connected to your Sony TV? If it's via HDMI, can you try connecting it via component (YPbPr) or even composite? The reason I ask is that historically TiVo and certain Sony TV's have had HDCP handshake issues and what you're describing is similar to what's been reported from time-to-time. Some folks have been able to power down TiVo, power down their Sony TV, essentially making a new connection and things were good again.

Failing that, can you try connecting your TiVo to another TV to see how it does?

It's certainly possible something is up, but let's make sure it's TiVo that's misbehaving first.
LOL , I must have “early adopter syndrome” My first tivo was activated in 2001 and it still works although it does not get program date it anymore (no home phone). This high definition Sony TV predates HDMI as it is currently implemented. (though I do have some computer style DV-I plugs on the back). I am hooked up via component connections for video and optical for audio
Old 11-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #6945
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2krazy View Post
LOL , I must have “early adopter syndrome” My first tivo was activated in 2001 and it still works although it does not get program date it anymore (no home phone). This high definition Sony TV predates HDMI as it is currently implemented. (though I do have some computer style DV-I plugs on the back). I am hooked up via component connections for video and optical for audio
Hmmm... Can you connect it to another TV anyway? Just wondering if something is up between the two (although it doesn't sound like it is).

What happens if you slip the "old" drive back in? Does it boot up okay?

Very curious situation.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:53 AM   #6946
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Arrow The EASY way to set AAM & Idle Timer on WD drives

The EASY way to set AAM & Idle Timer on WD drives:

I have accidentally stumbled upon an easy way to get your new WD GP or AV-GP drive(s) set up with your desired AAM & Idle Timer settings, WITHOUT HAVING TO MESS AROUND WITH YOUR BIOS SETTINGS!

1. Download the IBM/Hitachi Feature Tool v2.12 - It must be the floppy disk version, that includes an installer that creates the bootable disk. IT MUST BE VERSION 2.12.

2. Download "WDIDLE3.EXE" v1.05 (earlier versions don't work with the newest drives).

3. After creating the Feature Tool bootable disk, simply copy WDIDLE3.EXE to the same disk.

4. Forget about changing your BIOS settings (the SATA/IDE mode settings), as it won't be necessary.

5. With your WD hard drive(s) hooked up, and the floppy disk inserted, power-on your computer. Let the floppy boot up into the Feature Tool software.

6. Use the Feature Tool software to set your desired AAM setting.

7. Exit the Feature Tool software, turn on CAPS LOCK, run WDIDLE3.EXE /? from the command prompt to get the list of options. Set your desired timeout (which should be /D for "Disabled" when the drive is going to be used in a TiVo).

8. Power down, or reboot, depending on what you want to do next. These settings can be changed at ANY TIME, without affecting the data on the drive.

Why does this work? It's because the Feature Tool software loads the appropriate drivers and sets the communication mode in a way that allows changes to be made to the drive's settings.

It's very likely that this can be done with a CD/DVD or flash drive. But, I have not verified that yet.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #6947
lsitter

Weaknees and CableCard

I hope I'm in the correct forum... I am considering ordering a 1tb replacement drive from Weaknees. Today's special is $199. My concern is that I will have to have Comcast come back out and dink around with my CableCards to get my TiVo back up and working. I have the Series 3 HD TiVo standalone.

I'm not comfortable pulling my existing drive and connecting to my desktop computer and doing all the settings myself with all the programs you all talk about. I just want to order the new drive and swap it for the old one.

Has anyone here done that with Comcast with CableCards? Did you lose your CableCard settings and have to reset all of that?

Thanks.
lsitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #6948
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsitter View Post
I hope I'm in the correct forum... I am considering ordering a 1tb replacement drive from Weaknees. Today's special is $199. My concern is that I will have to have Comcast come back out and dink around with my CableCards to get my TiVo back up and working. I have the Series 3 HD TiVo standalone.

I'm not comfortable pulling my existing drive and connecting to my desktop computer and doing all the settings myself with all the programs you all talk about. I just want to order the new drive and swap it for the old one.

Has anyone here done that with Comcast with CableCards? Did you lose your CableCard settings and have to reset all of that?

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum! That's a fine plan for a "turn-key" upgrade so you shouldn't feel badly at all.

Unfortunately you'll end up with what amounts to be a brand new TiVo. So yes, if Comcast in your area requires a truck roll to pair the cable cards that's what you'll have to arrange. Some Comcast offices are a little more progressive and will allow you to call in the cable card info for each card (which is quite simple) so you could give them a call and see if they'll do that. You may have to push them, but it's worth a try.

FWIW if you want to keep your Season Passes and Wish Lists, sign up for TiVo Guru Guide or KidZone. When your "new" TiVo connects to the Mother Ship it will eventually download and repopulate the data for you. More here...

TiVo Guru Guide: http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-tco/mix/index.do

TiVo KidZone: http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-tco/mix/kzindex.do

Happy upgrading!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #6949
RickStrobel

Great news! Ran Spinrite for three days and it looks like it's going to work. I was able to completely copy the 160 GB drive to the 1.5 TB drive with on errors using WinMFS and MFSCOPY.

Before I continue I have a question: Mfsadd asks if I want to limit the partition to 1 TB.

I know I won't get the full 1.5 TB of storage with the TiVo HD, but I expected I'd get roughly 1.16 TB. Should I answer yes to the question?
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #6950
unitron

Decimal or Binary Terabyte?

Quote:
Great news! Ran Spinrite for three days and it looks like it's going to work. I was able to completely copy the 160 GB drive to the 1.5 TB drive with on errors using WinMFS and MFSCOPY.

Before I continue I have a question: Mfsadd asks if I want to limit the partition to 1 TB.

I know I won't get the full 1.5 TB of storage with the TiVo HD, but I expected I'd get roughly 1.16 TB. Should I answer yes to the question?

Is 1.16 decimal Terabytes about the same as 1 binary Terabyte?

Which does MFS Tools or MFS Live or WinMFS use, binary or decimal?

Do their versions of fdisk and hdparm report that 1.5 TB drive as 1.5 or something smaller? 'Cause if the drive manufacturer called it a 1.5 it means 1.5 decimal (which is both technically correct and makes it sound bigger for the money than if it advertised it in binary numbers).

BTW, nice to hear that Mr. Gibson came through for you. Wish the price of the program wasn't more than what I'm looking to pay for the next hard drive I buy.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #6951
RickStrobel

OK, so I answered yes based on this post.
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #6952
lsitter

Quote:
Welcome to the forum! That's a fine plan for a "turn-key" upgrade so you shouldn't feel badly at all.

Unfortunately you'll end up with what amounts to be a brand new TiVo. So yes, if Comcast in your area requires a truck roll to pair the cable cards that's what you'll have to arrange. Some Comcast offices are a little more progressive and will allow you to call in the cable card info for each card (which is quite simple) so you could give them a call and see if they'll do that. You may have to push them, but it's worth a try.
Thank you for the welcome... I've been 'observing' for years but never needed to post!

What then, should I do? Bottom line for me is I don't want to jack with the cable cards. Comcast always tries to change my billing on them (I have 4 on 2 TiVos) and half the time, they can't get all of my channels to work.

I'm even willing to lose my programs if it means I don't have to redo cable cards. Should I use Weaknees, or is it really worth my effort to do it myself following the guides here? Do any individuals here do the upgrades? I'm in the Indianapolis area.

Finally, not wanting to hijack the thread, am I in the right place with these questions?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #6953
richsadams

Quote:
Thank you for the welcome... I've been 'observing' for years but never needed to post!

What then, should I do? Bottom line for me is I don't want to jack with the cable cards. Comcast always tries to change my billing on them (I have 4 on 2 TiVos) and half the time, they can't get all of my channels to work.

I'm even willing to lose my programs if it means I don't have to redo cable cards. Should I use Weaknees, or is it really worth my effort to do it myself following the guides here? Do any individuals here do the upgrades? I'm in the Indianapolis area.

Finally, not wanting to hijack the thread, am I in the right place with these questions?

Thanks!
Understood. If you want to keep your settings (and you can keep your recordings too) about your best bet is DIY. It's not really hard at all and if you follow the steps on the FAQ (first post of this thread) you shouldn't have any problems. It's really no more than connecting a hard drive to a computer and clicking through a pretty self-explanitory program called winMFS.

You can use a Hitachi hard drive which requires no tweaking (although it's not quite as quiet as the recommended Western Digital hard drives noted below).
This is the Hitachi I'd recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskst.../dp/B0035WQBOY

That said, the reason the Western Digital drives fell off of the recommended list for a time was due to a "feature" WD added to their GP (green) drives called "Intellipark". This feature caused TiVo to hang on a soft reboot...which wouldn't be a big deal because you can power cycle it (pull the plug) and it reboots fine. The problem arises when TiVo pushes an update which causes the box to reboot and in this case it would hang until the owner power cycled it. To overcome this folks were using a program called wdidle3.exe which will disable Intellipark when they upgraded.

The "problem" was resolved recently so WD GP drives manufactured after 09/15/10 no longer need to be tweaked making them perfectly fine to use for upgrading again.

So if you wanted to go with a WD drive, the WD10EARS is very popular and although very quiet out of the box can also be made quieter by using hddscan to adjust the AAM down to its quietest level of 128.

Here's a link to the WD10EARS on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B002U1N95K

Another popular WD drive is the WD10EVDS. It's a dedicated A/V drive with no need adjust the AAM but it does cost a little more.

Here's the link to the WD10EVDS on Amazon (I like them for their great return policy):

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B002P3KO74

If it were me (and I were you), I'd probably opt for a WD10EVDS and keep my fingers crossed that the one I received was manufactured after 09/15/10. I think there's a pretty good chance of that now if you were to buy it from a reputable online retailer like Newegg, Buy.com or Amazon since all do a very high volume of business.

There's nothing wrong with the Hitachi (I have three of them, two in an NAS and one in a backup drive), I'm just concerned about them being a little noisy if they no longer allow the AAM to be reduced.

Otherwise, everything you need to know can be found on the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

Hope that helps and don't hesitate to let us know if you have any more questions.

Cheers and happy upgrading!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #6954
bowlingblogger

Quote:
I'm even willing to lose my programs if it means I don't have to redo cable cards. Should I use Weaknees, or is it really worth my effort to do it myself following the guides here? Do any individuals here do the upgrades?
I think the fact that you're looking at this thread qualifies you as a DIY candidate. Believe me--if I did it, you can do it! I had never even connected or disconnected a hard drive before and it went flawlessly. Luckily I didn't have to disable Intellipark on my WD10EVDS, but even that's fairly trivial as long as you can run wdidle on a PC. If you run into any snags, there are lots of people willing to help you right here in this forum. I can't think of anyone who's regretted the DIY route, and when you're done you'll be very proud of yourself!
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #6955
hankbates

I couldn't get a WD10EVDS to work

I have a lifetime series 3 on which the original 250gb was beginning to fail (errors when I checked the disk, freezing, etc.) so I did a truncated backup with winmfs. I tried restoring it to the original drive with no problems, even made a later backup just in case.
Then I bought a WD10evds from amazon, and when I restored either backup to it I couldn't get past the welcome screen, four lights on the front remained on.
It was manufactured about a month ago, so I guess it should have worked. It passed the WD tools short disk check, didn't want to wait for the thorough check.
I sent it back to Amazon, but now I am wondering if I should have.
What am I doing wrong, if anything? Should I look for another model, such as Hitachi?
thanks for any help you can give.
Hank
hankbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #6956
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankbates View Post
I have a lifetime series 3 on which the original 250gb was beginning to fail (errors when I checked the disk, freezing, etc.) so I did a truncated backup with winmfs. I tried restoring it to the original drive with no problems, even made a later backup just in case.
Then I bought a WD10evds from amazon, and when I restored either backup to it I couldn't get past the welcome screen, four lights on the front remained on.
It was manufactured about a month ago, so I guess it should have worked. It passed the WD tools short disk check, didn't want to wait for the thorough check.
I sent it back to Amazon, but now I am wondering if I should have.
What am I doing wrong, if anything? Should I look for another model, such as Hitachi?
thanks for any help you can give.
Hank
It sounds like it was hanging on bootup. I would have said to try running Wdidle3 on it to disable Intellipark. I wish you could have provided us the exact date of manufacture. Oh well.

It could also be a problem with the image you backed up being corrupted.

Do you plan on getting another replacement drive?

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #6957
scottb4u

I just went through this exact situation. Use the wdidle3 to disable the parking and you'll boot right up...
scottb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #6958
hankbates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
It sounds like it was hanging on bootup. I would have said to try running Wdidle3 on it to disable Intellipark. I wish you could have provided us the exact date of manufacture. Oh well.

It could also be a problem with the image you backed up being corrupted.

Do you plan on getting another replacement drive?

Robb
I do plan on getting another drive, haven't decided which.
The drive I returned showed a mfg date sometime in October 2010.
I was concerned the drive would be out of warranty once I ran wdidle3, since the wd site said only to use it on a couple of other drives.
I backed up the drive a month or so ago, then again immediately before I installed the wd10evds. Neither backup image would restore the new drive so that it would pass welcome, but when I applied the backup image to the old drive, it worked fine, and is still working a week later.
Should I go back to Amazon and get another drive? The quietness of the WD drives appeals to me. Maybe I worried too much....
Thanks, Hank
hankbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #6959
lsitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingblogger View Post
I think the fact that you're looking at this thread qualifies you as a DIY candidate. Believe me--if I did it, you can do it! I had never even connected or disconnected a hard drive before and it went flawlessly. Luckily I didn't have to disable Intellipark on my WD10EVDS, but even that's fairly trivial as long as you can run wdidle on a PC. If you run into any snags, there are lots of people willing to help you right here in this forum. I can't think of anyone who's regretted the DIY route, and when you're done you'll be very proud of yourself!
Quote:
Otherwise, everything you need to know can be found on the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ:

Hope that helps and don't hesitate to let us know if you have any more questions.

Cheers and happy upgrading!
Thanks guys, you've talked me into. I was stunned to see how cheap the drives are on Amazon. I will order the WD10EVDS and go from there. Also, the link to the FAQ seems broke (I couldn't quote the link due to my low post count). I will try to find on my own...

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #6960
lsitter

I've read through the FAQs now, really good stuff. I see that they were written in 2007 and have a question about doing the upgrade and preserving settings AND recordings:

Is it possible to just copy the original TiVo hard drive to my computer hard drive and then copy all to the new drive? My computer has a 750gb drive.

I'm trying to avoid having to connect both the old and new TiVo drives to my computer at the same time. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks.