TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #6871
bkrodgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Yes to the first part, yes to the second part and as for the third, I always go with as large a drive as I can afford (and that will work of course). You may not think you need the space now, but you will one of these days and a second upgrade will only cost you more time and money. JMFS is being used to successfully upgrade Premieres for a more than a few folks now. If your budget can afford it (and you have a Premiere) 2TB is the way to go.
Thanks for all you do here Rich! I may not have phrased things clearly -- I have a TivoHD. I was thinking of using comer's tool that he wrote for the premier to upgrade my THD to 1.5 or 2 TB. I've seen a few people say they've done that. I saw you mention you couldn't get it to recognize an S3 drive, but I haven't seen any reports of showstoppers for THDs yet. Any thoughts?

As for 1.5 vs 2TB, yeah, I hear ya! My budget can afford it, but I still try to spend wisely. But I never thought I'd fill the 1TB in my other THD, and I did! Now that I've got an HDTV in the bedroom, where I like to have lots of History/Science channel stuff available to wind down at bedtime, I'm sure I could fill 1.5 or even 2TB with a few 25ep season passes in HD!
bkrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:16 AM   #6872
richsadams

There aren't as many, but several people have used JMFS to upgrade their TiVo HD's to 2TB. If you've got the spare change...that's the way to go.

Unfortunately Comer's program won't work with Series3's...something to do with different partition structures IIRC.

Happy upgrading!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #6873
21364guy

RMA for Western Digital

I ran the WD diagnostics on the 500GB drive. It failed with the message below:

Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 65

So I contacted WD for an RMA and will send the drive off to them shortly. In the meantime I used WinMFS to move everything over to the 1TB drive (WD10EVDS) that was recommended. It's up and running now.

Thanks for the help
21364guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:48 AM   #6874
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21364guy View Post
I ran the WD diagnostics on the 500GB drive. It failed with the message below:

Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 65

So I contacted WD for an RMA and will send the drive off to them shortly. In the meantime I used WinMFS to move everything over to the 1TB drive (WD10EVDS) that was recommended. It's up and running now.

Thanks for the help
Glad to hear everything went smoothly. Good thing you caught the drive before it gave up completely!

Enjoy your "new" TiVo!
Old 11-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #6875
Xecuter2

For my Series 3, is the "Western Digital 1 TB AV-GP SATA OEM AV Hard Drive WD10EVDS" considered one of the better (or best) drives for upgrading?
Xecuter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #6876
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xecuter2 View Post
For my Series 3, is the "Western Digital 1 TB AV-GP SATA OEM AV Hard Drive WD10EVDS" considered one of the better (or best) drives for upgrading?
That's a very good choice. If you have the patience it would be helpful if you could perform the upgrade, install the drive, see if it will boot up and if so if it will boot up from a menu restart. That would be valuable information to determine if your drive has the soft reboot issue (hangs at the "Welcome" screen after a menu restart). If it does hang, either at the initial boot or a menu restart you will probably need to run the wdidle3.exe program to extend the Intellipark timeout to five minutes. (See the FAQ, Section IV, #29 for more details.) It probably won't be an issue unless the drive was manufactured prior to September 15th.

If you could also give us the drive's manufacture date and how things went that would be valuable too. TIA and happy upgrading!
Old 11-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #6877
Xecuter2

Quote:
That would be valuable information to determine if your drive has the soft reboot issue (hangs at the "Welcome" screen after a menu restart). If it does hang, either at the initial boot or a menu restart you will probably need to run the wdidle3.exe program to extend the Intellipark timeout to five minutes. (See the FAQ, Section IV, #29 for more details.) It probably won't be an issue unless the drive was manufactured prior to September 15th.

If you could also give us the drive's manufacture date and how things went that would be valuable too. TIA and happy upgrading!
I'm a little confused. You're saying Intellipark shouldn't be an issue if the drive was manufactured after about Sept. 16.

The FAQ says:
Quote:
It also affects [...] EVDS drives manufactured since November. Drives built prior to these dates work perfectly fine; they do not exhibit the issue.
Should I be looking for a drive manufactured between Sept 16 and November?
Old 11-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #6878
PapaArt

Quote:
Should I be looking for a drive manufactured between Sept 16 and November?
The dates are Nov. 2009 to Sept 16, 2010, I believe. I just upgraded two Tivos and I needed to extend the Intellipark to 5 min. on both WD drives. Both were drives were July 2010. One would not boot on power up until I did.

PapaArt
Series 3 OLED - SOLD
THD - WD10EARS
THD - WD10EARX - SOLD
Series 2
PapaArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #6879
Xecuter2

What changed with the drives made after 9/16/2010 that eliminates the Intellipark issue?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #6880
PapaArt

I am not sure. Someone with a drive after Sept. 16, 2010 could answer better
than I but it could be a change in the default setting from 8 seconds to a higher time period.

PapaArt
Series 3 OLED - SOLD
THD - WD10EARS
THD - WD10EARX - SOLD
Series 2
PapaArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #6881
s2krazy

I can't believe I'm back again. After getting everything working with the new 1Tb drive (Hitachi), things have been fine for about a month and a half. Suddenly the TivoHD started freezing and rebooting. Started doing it every 1-2 hours, and then finally every 15-20 minutes. I tried running some of the kickstarts and now I'm in the infinite GSOD>Reboot>GSOD.

Good grief! It doesn't seem like the drive has actually failed as I can still hear it. I was thinking of pulling it out and running some diagnostics on it in the PC. Will this work? Should I just re-image the Instantcake software on it? Not much to lose at this point. Any thoughts?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #6882
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I think InstantCake is outdated. I used WinMFS to backup and restore to a 1TB drive a couple months ago and no problems yet. (crossing Tivo's antennas.)

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #6883
s2krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I think InstantCake is outdated. I used WinMFS to backup and restore to a 1TB drive a couple months ago and no problems yet. (crossing Tivo's antennas.)
Hmm, thanks for that info. I had used a copy of instant cake purchased around 9/30/10 and till yesterday it was fine. How recently has instantcake had issues?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #6884
richsadams

Quote:
I'm a little confused. You're saying Intellipark shouldn't be an issue if the drive was manufactured after about Sept. 16.
Ha, good catch. Per PapaArt, the FAQ hasn't been updated since August 2010, so the reference is to November 2009. Without doing some in-depth firmware research it's hard to say what WD is doing. The initial roll-out of Intellipark caused the same issues with the TiVo HDXL's a little after they were introduced. That lasted about a month before TiVo issued a software fix. They probably know, but it's beyond the knowledge scope of most of the folks here. We're just happy that things are returning to "normal" after more than a year of this.

Happy upgrading!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #6885
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2krazy View Post
I can't believe I'm back again. After getting everything working with the new 1Tb drive (Hitachi), things have been fine for about a month and a half. Suddenly the TivoHD started freezing and rebooting. Started doing it every 1-2 hours, and then finally every 15-20 minutes. I tried running some of the kickstarts and now I'm in the infinite GSOD>Reboot>GSOD.

Good grief! It doesn't seem like the drive has actually failed as I can still hear it. I was thinking of pulling it out and running some diagnostics on it in the PC. Will this work? Should I just re-image the Instantcake software on it? Not much to lose at this point. Any thoughts?
It does sound like a hard drive issue. You could start from scratch and see how things go, but odds are there's something up with the drive itself. Hopefully the original hard drive is still on the shelf.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #6886
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Hmm, thanks for that info. I had used a copy of instant cake purchased around 9/30/10 and till yesterday it was fine. How recently has instantcake had issues?
Since the introduction of hard drives >1TB in capacity. Try anything larger, and IC won't work (at all, period).
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #6887
s2krazy

Quote:
I will keep you posted. Earlier you wrote

I've found this on Amazon via BrilliantStore for $64 plus ~$10 shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Looks pretty good to me though I've never bought from that vendor. I can't see if this drive has the "intellipark" feature,but I'm still looking. I'm guessing I'm going to be down for a week while I wait for these items. I gotta call Oceanic to see if I can rent an HD box for a short while. They'll probably bill me for a whole months rental....
Quote:
If it went to a GSOD KS54 never started. You could try KS54 again, but if it returns to a GSOD and then when it reboots goes to a grey/black screen I think you've probably done all you can do. It sounds like the drive has too many problems (data corruption and/or bad sectors) to recover. You can give KS52 a shot, but I'm guessing it probably won't be successful.

If that's the case then it sounds like an investment in Instant Cake and a new hard drive is your next step. The good news is that it is almost certainly a hard drive issue and that the rest of your TiVo is healthy. You could replace the whole box, but a new hard drive will likely do the trick.

You shouldn't power cycle TiVo while it's running one of the Kickstarts, but if it's stuck on a black/grey screen you can safely pull the plug.

Let us know how things go.
Quote:
It does sound like a hard drive issue. You could start from scratch and see how things go, but odds are there's something up with the drive itself. Hopefully the original hard drive is still on the shelf.
It seems like just yesterday we were going through the same issue. The original HD is gone, I could do nothing with it.

My thoughts are this: If the drive's boot sector is corrupted, then reinstalling IC can't hurt anything and possibly might solve the issue. If the drive has a bad boot sector (physical flaw) then I'm no worse off than I am now? (ie it doesn't work).

Can anyone suggest a utility I can run on the HD when it's hooked up to the PC? Or is this an unnecessary step? Should I just to IC and it either works or not?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 AM   #6888
richsadams

Quote:
It seems like just yesterday we were going through the same issue. The original HD is gone, I could do nothing with it.

My thoughts are this: If the drive's boot sector is corrupted, then reinstalling IC can't hurt anything and possibly might solve the issue. If the drive has a bad boot sector (physical flaw) then I'm no worse off than I am now? (ie it doesn't work).

Can anyone suggest a utility I can run on the HD when it's hooked up to the PC? Or is this an unnecessary step? Should I just to IC and it either works or not?
IC can't hurt anything...although it will essentially give you a "new" TiVo and you'll have to get the cable cards re-bound/re-paired, run Guided Setup again, etc.

There's actually no "boot sector" on a hard drive, it's just made up of sectors and when an image like TiVo's is written to the drive it has a boot sector (two actually). If that gets corrupted (either mechanically or otherwise - power surge, etc.) it can result in the GSOD endless reboot cycle. So it may or may not be a drive problem, but whatever it is, it's beyond TiVo's abilities to resolve it.

If there are only a small amount of sector problems they can be isolated and the drive will work normally but if there's significant sector damage or head problems, etc. there's not much you can do about it. If that were the case IC could work for a while but eventually the drive would try to write data to the bad sectors and you'd be in the same boat.

For that reason I think you're on the right path by testing the drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic program. You should be able to do that with Hitachi's Feature Tool:

http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Hope that helps and let us know how things go.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #6889
alienagenda

Another compatible and tested drive to add to the list

just a short note.
added the following about 3 months ago as external drive to my Series3 unit and all is well. No issues to date.
the RE3 is of course an enterprise rated drive with a 1.2 Million Hour MTBF.
i have used these drives on servers for years given their incredible reliability for 24/7 access. no heat issues with the vantec and no noise.

again, i dont know if this is something the forum is tracking. not the cheapest option i assume, but if the RE3 is true to my past experience, should be free of worry for a long long time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-313-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-167-_-Product
alienagenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #6890
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienagenda View Post
just a short note.
added the following about 3 months ago as external drive to my Series3 unit and all is well. No issues to date.
the RE3 is of course an enterprise rated drive with a 1.2 Million Hour MTBF.
i have used these drives on servers for years given their incredible reliability for 24/7 access. no heat issues with the vantec and no noise.

again, i dont know if this is something the forum is tracking. not the cheapest option i assume, but if the RE3 is true to my past experience, should be free of worry for a long long time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-313-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-167-_-Product
Thanks very much for that. The drive is certainly overkill for TiVo, but reliability is always a good thing. IIRC a few others are using the enclosure as well. Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #6891
s2krazy

Quote:
IC can't hurt anything...although it will essentially give you a "new" TiVo and you'll have to get the cable cards re-bound/re-paired, run Guided Setup again, etc.

There's actually no "boot sector" on a hard drive, it's just made up of sectors and when an image like TiVo's is written to the drive it has a boot sector (two actually). If that gets corrupted (either mechanically or otherwise - power surge, etc.) it can result in the GSOD endless reboot cycle. So it may or may not be a drive problem, but whatever it is, it's beyond TiVo's abilities to resolve it.

If there are only a small amount of sector problems they can be isolated and the drive will work normally but if there's significant sector damage or head problems, etc. there's not much you can do about it. If that were the case IC could work for a while but eventually the drive would try to write data to the bad sectors and you'd be in the same boat.

For that reason I think you're on the right path by testing the drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic program. You should be able to do that with Hitachi's Feature Tool:

http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Hope that helps and let us know how things go.
I went with the IC over the existing drive, and it's working. I'm trying to force the software upgrade to get the Tuning Adapter to work. It's in progress now. I didn't use any of the Hitachi tools since I got it running first.

On your comments about a potential problem with the drive, I guess it would be a good idea to Winmfs the properly formatted drive once the update is done. Would I be correct in assuming this would help me avoid the need to re-IC, bind, set season passes etc. should the drive fail again?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #6892
richsadams

Quote:
On your comments about a potential problem with the drive, I guess it would be a good idea to Winmfs the properly formatted drive once the update is done. Would I be correct in assuming this would help me avoid the need to re-IC, bind, set season passes etc. should the drive fail again?
Yes, once you have it all set up again and if all goes well you could use winMFS to create a truncated backup of your image which would include all of your SP's cable card info, etc. Always good to have.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #6893
s2krazy

Quote:
Yes, once you have it all set up again and if all goes well you could use winMFS to create a truncated backup of your image which would include all of your SP's cable card info, etc. Always good to have.
LOL, I should have done it last time, but I was so happy to be up and running that I didn't want to take it all apart again. [slaps forehead]
Old 11-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #6894
richsadams

Quote:
LOL, I should have done it last time, but I was so happy to be up and running that I didn't want to take it all apart again. [slaps forehead]
No biggie...live and learn.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #6895
Itsme2003

I admit I haven't read the whole post, but I did read the first two pages and the last two pages. On the first pages it sounds like a Series 3 can only go up to 1.3 TB (originally a 320 GB HD). On the last two pages it sound like you may be able to use a full 2 TB. Can anyone clarify that for me?

Also, does it matter if I use a drive with 4k sectors (WD EARS) vs. one with 512 byte sectors (WD EADS)? I know that I need to run WDidle, and I know that with a 2 TB drive there are some tools I can't use. I also know that I will need to jumper the 4k sector drive.

Does it matter about 5400 rpm vs. 7200 rpm? I've seen some people say it matters and others say it does not.
Itsme2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #6896
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme2003 View Post
I admit I haven't read the whole post, but I did read the first two pages and the last two pages. On the first pages it sounds like a Series 3 can only go up to 1.3 TB (originally a 320 GB HD). On the last two pages it sound like you may be able to use a full 2 TB. Can anyone clarify that for me?
DIY = 1.26TB. There are third-party sellers of pre-imaged 2TB drives.

Quote:
Also, does it matter if I use a drive with 4k sectors (WD EARS) vs. one with 512 byte sectors (WD EADS)? I know that I need to run WDidle, and I know that with a 2 TB drive there are some tools I can't use. I also know that I will need to jumper the 4k sector drive.
The new 4K sector format does not affect TiVo. No 2TB DIY, no jumpers.

Quote:
Does it matter about 5400 rpm vs. 7200 rpm? I've seen some people say it matters and others say it does not.
No need for or performance improvement w/7200RPM drives; they can run hotter as well.

FWIW you may not have to run wdidle3.exe to adjust the Intellipark timeout settings if the drive you purchase was manufactured after 9/15/10.

Happy upgrading!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #6897
unitron

Are you a Series 2 drive guru? Do you have strong SATA-fu?

If you've got Series 2 drive experience, please share it in this thread

Which 1TB drives for a TCD649080 S2 SA DT?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=459327

over in the upgrade center.

Thanks in advance.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #6898
RickStrobel

My buddy dropped off his TiVo HD and the Western Digital WD15EVDS 1.5 TB AV Hard Drive tonight for me to perform the upgrade.

It's been a while since I've done an upgrade. Is this http://mfstools.sourceforge.net/ the right place to download the best bootable ISO for the project?

The instructions linked on that page sound a little dated and there's no mention of a TiVO HD or SATA drive anywhere. Can someone link me to some other instructions?

We want to transfer all the recordings and settings to the new drive.

Thanks!
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #6899
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
My buddy dropped off his TiVo HD and the Western Digital WD15EVDS 1.5 TB AV Hard Drive tonight for me to perform the upgrade.

It's been a while since I've done an upgrade. Is this http://mfstools.sourceforge.net/ the right place to download the best bootable ISO for the project?

The instructions linked on that page sound a little dated and there's no mention of a TiVO HD or SATA drive anywhere. Can someone link me to some other instructions?

Thanks!
If you are more comfortable using Windows, you can use WinMFS instead. (less typing or mistakes)

www.mfslive.org

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #6900
unitron

Sourceforge page appears out of date...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post

Thanks!
The MFS Live CD, and a guide to its use, is available at

http://www.mfslive.org/

as is WinMFS.

You use the Live CD to boot the computer, which lets you leave your Windows drive disconnected for safety. It boots to a Linux command line, unlike WinMFS, which runs on your Windows drive, but it does recognize SATA drives and USB connected drives and flash sticks.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote