Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2010, 12:55 AM   #6841
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyk View Post
So I am going through external drive adding hell. <snip>
I don't think you'll be able to do what you want to do using a Windows VM since you can't change the BIOS settings. You could try using the MFSLive Linux Boot CD image instead. I'm not sure that will work either, but it's worth a shot. Read through Section IV, #10 for non-Windows blessing. Otherwise I think you'll need to bribe a friend with a Windows machine.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:21 AM   #6842
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
The swap space size is not really related to drive hardware. A good general rule of thumb for most desktop systems is about 2x the amount of RAM - less on a RAM glutted machine. If the unit eats up more swap than that it is going to be dreadfully slow. There are some applications that can eat up lots of memory, requiring lots of RAM + swap, but the apps on the TiVo don't qualify. The TiVo doesn't have a lot of sleeping apps, either, and it never hibernates. I definitely would not set more than 256M. The TiVo isn't going to use any less or more swap whether it has a 10G drive or a 10T drive.

TiVos have minimal memory (64M for an S3, 128M for a THD), but they don't have a Desktop GUI and they don't run a wide array of simultaneous applications. My S3 with 2 x 1T of drives has 128M of swap, and less than 25M is in use. My THD with a 750G drive is using less than 10M of swap.
Thanks for the info. I was just going by what others had posted, and reposted, all over the forums, that increasing the swap size proportionately to the drive size was REQUIRED to avoid getting caught in the GSOD loop, if there ever was an error on the drive that needed to be corrected.

I have a long and skilled background in computers, and this TiVo swap thing was the first time I had ever heard of going by the drive size.

I've been re-combing through the posts, and noticing that the whole drive size to swap size ratio stated with the models before the S3 and THD. I think it just got carried forward, and people like me wind up getting bad/wrong information.

One thing I do know, is that Instant Cake will produce a 256MB swap, using a 500MB drive. I had assumed that to be proof of the need to increase the swap when increasing drive size. But, maybe if I had used IC on a 1TB drive it would have still produced a 256MB swap...

What is the factory swap size for a THD, and does the THD XL use a larger size, or the same size?

So, what's the best way to "adjust the swap" on four TiVo HDs, which all have identical 2TB WD20EADS drives, but different swap sizes (w/Broflovski image)?

Can I just use identical spare drives, perform a copy operation, and set 256MB, which is smaller than the three I still have at 1024MB, and larger than the one I just imaged and used 128MB for? Will WinMFS adjust the disk allocations accordingly, still keeping the drive 100% utilized?

If I find myself having to start from scratch, in the future, due to the dreaded GSOD loops that seem to plague all my THDs, regardless of what drive I use or what the swap size is, should I consider taking a virgin stock drive and using Comer's tools to "expand" it onto the 2TB drive (and eliminate use of the Broflovski image)?

Thank You so much for actually taking the time to post something, and thanks in advance, if you can answer the questions above.

Last edited by tcfcameron : 11-07-2010 at 02:44 AM.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #6843
21364guy

replacement drive?

The 500GB Western Digital drive (WD5000AVJS) in my HD TiVo looks like it is having trouble. For several months now it has been pausing for several seconds during playback. When I replay these sections there is no problem the second time. So I'd like to replace the drive and keep my recordings. I did the original upgrade with MFS tools so I think this should be no problem. But I am looking for some advice on what is a good replacement drive.

Many of the drives listed in the FAQ seem to be unavailable. The only ones I've been able to find are one of the Seagates (ST3500321CS) and a Hitachi (0S00163). Are these the best options? Capacity doesn't matter that much to me. We have been happy with 500GB so any drive which will allow me to save my recordings would work fine. What is the best option available at this moment with 500-1000GB of capacity?
21364guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #6844
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21364guy View Post
The 500GB Western Digital drive (WD5000AVJS) in my HD TiVo looks like it is having trouble. For several months now it has been pausing for several seconds during playback. When I replay these sections there is no problem the second time. So I'd like to replace the drive and keep my recordings. I did the original upgrade with MFS tools so I think this should be no problem. But I am looking for some advice on what is a good replacement drive.

Many of the drives listed in the FAQ seem to be unavailable. The only ones I've been able to find are one of the Seagates (ST3500321CS) and a Hitachi (0S00163). Are these the best options? Capacity doesn't matter that much to me. We have been happy with 500GB so any drive which will allow me to save my recordings would work fine. What is the best option available at this moment with 500-1000GB of capacity?
If you're happy with 500GB, I'd get the WD5000AVVS...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tal-_-22136524

For a little more you could go to 1TB...

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...9335110&sr=1-1

Your current drive should have a three-year warranty though. Might be worth getting an RMA from WD...

http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/r...pe=end&lang=en
Old 11-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #6845
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Your current drive should have a three-year warranty though. Might be worth getting an RMA from WD...

Rich,
To get an RMA from WD, will he need to run the manufacturer tests and give them a fail code?

Can those tests be destructive to disc data?

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #6846
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
Rich,
To get an RMA from WD, will he need to run the manufacturer tests and give them a fail code?

Can those tests be destructive to disc data?

Robb
Good point. I've never had to return a WD drive (hope I didn't jinx anything). I'd probably go with a hardware issue...making funny noises and glitches appear kind of thing. If they demand a an error code via Lifeguard diagnostics, etc. then it would be dependent on which test. You can run the "Quick Test" without impacting the data. The extended read/write/read diagnostic writes all zeros to the drive, so everything goes bye-bye.

If it's the latter I would go ahead and buy a new drive and image it then run the tests and RMA the original and get an exchange...put it on the shelf JIC or use it for something else.

I neglected to recommend running some Kickstarts to see if things can be repaired. Oooops. I'll fix that now.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #6847
richsadams

Quote:

As mentioned above, I forgot to ask if you had tried running some of TiVo's built-in diagnostics and repair programs called Kickstarts. If not, it might be worth a shot:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2
Old 11-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #6848
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
I would go ahead and buy a new drive and image it then run the tests and RMA the original and get an exchange...put it on the shelf JIC or use it for something else.
Agreed . If he is gonna use Winmfs for the copy he will need both drives hooked up anyway. I guess he could also copy to a PC if the shows are not flagged and transfer back. Seems easier with 2 drives to me.

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #6849
21364guy

Quote:
If you're happy with 500GB, I'd get the WD5000AVVS...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tal-_-22136524

For a little more you could go to 1TB...

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...9335110&sr=1-1

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I am tempted to go with the 1TB drive, but what about the warnings regarding compatibility issues with that model (WD10EVDS). Is that no longer an issue?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #6850
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Thanks very much for the suggestions. I am tempted to go with the 1TB drive, but what about the warnings regarding compatibility issues with that model (WD10EVDS). Is that no longer an issue?
Just run wdidle on it and it will be fine.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #6851
richsadams

Quote:
A J is referring to the possibility that some older WD drives may have a menu restart issue wherein TiVo won't reboot from a menu restart or more importantly after an upgrade without a power cycle (pull the plug and plug it back in). This was due to a "feature" of the new WD GP drives called Intellipark which is designed to save energy by parking the drive heads and going into a sleep state. Since TiVo is on 24/7 it would never be implemented, but some drives had an issue with a soft reboot/menu restart. To fix that there is a program, wdidle3.exe that can be run on the drive to extend the Intellipark "time out" to five minutes. This cures the soft reboot issue.

I say on "some drives" because it appears that WD GP drives (including the WD10EVDS) manufactured after September 15th or so no longer have this problem. The only way to find out is to image and install the drive and see if it will boot up properly with a menu restart. If it does, no problem. If it doesn't then wdidle3.exe needs to be run. The caveat is that the new drive must be connected to a SATA port on the computer rather than via a USB adapter or dock for the program to work. More info/details can be found on the FAQ, Section IV, #29.

FWIW I'd still go with the WD drive. Odds are you'll get one manufactured after Sep. 15th now, but if not, it sounds like you're a pretty savvy guy and wouldn't have any issues running the wdidle program. It only takes a minute or two and most of that time is for connecting the drive and booting up the computer.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #6852
21364guy

Thanks for all the info, Rich. I went ahead and ordered that 1TB drive. I don't have a standalone PC any longer. Instead I have a Mac Pro with both bootcamp (win7) and an XP image under vmware fusion. I plan to reboot into windows 7 and use WinMFS to copy everything over to the new drive. It's not clear to me if I'll be able to boot that image for wdidle3 on my Mac Pro, however. But it sounds like there is a good chance this drive won't have the issue. And if worst comes to worst I can borrow a friend's PC to make the change.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #6853
hmm52

Quote:
Good point. I've never had to return a WD drive (hope I didn't jinx anything). I'd probably go with a hardware issue...making funny noises and glitches appear kind of thing. If they demand a an error code via Lifeguard diagnostics, etc. then it would be dependent on which test. You can run the "Quick Test" without impacting the data. The extended read/write/read diagnostic writes all zeros to the drive, so everything goes bye-bye.

If it's the latter I would go ahead and buy a new drive and image it then run the tests and RMA the original and get an exchange...put it on the shelf JIC or use it for something else....
Really? You've never had a WD drive fail "prematurely" on you, Rich? Clearly my purchasing abilities need a lot of work or should be tossed altogether. Are you available as an agent when I get the itch for another project (2 TB Premiere for example)? With only the HDDs for the Series 3s, my results haven't been the best - just 2.2 years for a Seagate 750GB; less than 3 months on one of the two WD10EARS installed this summer; a WD10EVDS bought in May still OK also. UPS/line conditioner in use in all cases. Can good HDD purchasing technique be learned or is it just something you're born with?

Though I've certainly used them enough, I'm not an expert on the drive mfr. diagnostic utilities. But I haven't seen that either Seagate's or WD's extended tests within Windows are destructive, except for bad sectors which may be found and isolated. Both utilities offer Write Zeros but as a discrete function with bold warnings. The instructions for the DOS WD version are similar. Your words "read/write/read diagnostic" sound like there's one comprehensive test. Have I missed it?

Both sick drives failed the extended tests in less than 30 minutes, tops. With the Seagate an error code and RMA page were generated. The Western Digital test just aborted with a message "too many bad sectors" or "too many bad sectors to repair", no redirect to RMA page. A "Certified Repaired" HDD was received from Seagate. It was setup and put into service, then worked fine until failing spectacularly one week later. The WD10EARS exchange arrived today - marked "Recertified". What exactly does that mean again? Anything like "retreaded"? "...put it on the shelf JIC or use it for something else..." Doorstop maybe? Paperweight? Coaster? I'll challenge my skepticism and put the recent exhange to the test in a series 3 nevertheless.

While I have you on the line: How enamored of the Premiere are you? I don't do many transfers so speed thereof is not a priority. My S3s are working without any glitches whatsoever so there's no compelling reason to buy one. Recent 2TB internal upgradability and current offers have my interest. Still no copy restriction with FiOS here but I'm all but sure it's just a matter of time. Recent M card paired; conditional access screen values now very different for the S cards - Subscribed, etc., etc.

Last edited by hmm52 : 11-10-2010 at 12:44 AM.
hmm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:50 AM   #6854
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm52 View Post
Really? You've never had a WD drive fail "prematurely" on you, Rich?
Fingers crossed, no WD failures over the years. I've had a few Seagate drives either go south or were DOA. Seagate used to have such high QC, but I guess that's a thing of the past. I'm also having pretty good luck with Hitachi drives these past couple of years.

Quote:
Though I've certainly used them enough, I'm not an expert on the drive mfr. diagnostic utilities. But I haven't seen that either Seagate's or WD's extended tests within Windows are destructive, except for bad sectors which may be found and isolated. Both utilities offer Write Zeros but as a discrete function with bold warnings. The instructions for the DOS WD version are similar. Your words "read/write/read diagnostic" sound like there's one comprehensive test. Have I missed it?
The "quick tests" are non-desctructive. The "extended tests", read/write/read as that implies wipes everything on the drive. Quick tests can often find the egregious problems, but if the issues are spread out/small but many, the extended tests seem to be required.

Quote:
While I have you on the line: How enamored of the Premiere are you? I don't do many transfers so speed thereof is not a priority. My S3s are working without any glitches whatsoever so there's no compelling reason to buy one. Recent 2TB internal upgradability and current offers have my interest. Still no copy restriction with FiOS here but I'm all but sure it's just a matter of time. Recent M card paired; conditional access screen values now very different for the S cards - Subscribed, etc., etc.
I dunno. If I had to make a choice between our Series3 and the Premiere...at this point in time the Series3 would win out. It's not that the Premiere is a bad machine, it's fine, but outside of a few niceties it just doesn't shine like an S3. It's a step up from a TiVo HD, but the Series3 was a pinnacle for TiVo IMHO. The Premiere's HD menus, although improved since the release, are still too slow for me...and my wife. The graphics are nice and having the "live window" and a usage meter is also nice, but it's not nice enough so we are using the SD menus. I flip back to the HD menus periodically, particularly after an upgrade to see if they're more responsive...and they have made progress, but they're still just too slow. I'll sacrifice "pretty" for speed. (Our house is hard wired with CAT5e and we have 20/5 FiOS so the network connections aren't to blame.) It also feels a little half baked with respect to the menus. Although you can do most of your day-to-day business in the HD menus, if you want to adjust the settings it defaults to SD menus. It's kind of cheesy in that sense. It s/b all HD or all SD IMO. Some folks are more than happy with it, so it may be just me. It's also been a little more glitchy than the Series3. I've had to reboot it probably once every couple of months or so due to something or other not behaving as it should. That worries me but to date no recordings have been missed, lost or damaged so I guess it's okay. It only seems to happen when I'm using the HD menus so I chalk it up to the added data management. By comparison I haven't had to reboot the Series3 in at least a year or more. Anyway, that's my dissertation on the two. I think the Premieres will continue to improve. I'll probably throw a 2TB drive in mine pretty soon so I guess I'm pretty married to it. But if it failed after the warranty runs out (I opted for 3 years)? I'd probably hunt down another Series3.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #6855
Brighton Line

I replaced my Series 3 drive with a 1TB drive but now I am having issues whcih seem to be related to hardware and the tunner. Will Tivo support help me with the non OEM drive in the series 3 or do I have to put back the old drive (update the software) before calling them?
TIA
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #6856
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
I replaced my Series 3 drive with a 1TB drive but now I am having issues whcih seem to be related to hardware and the tunner. Will Tivo support help me with the non OEM drive in the series 3 or do I have to put back the old drive (update the software) before calling them?
TIA
Depends. TiVo "knows" that you've upgraded your drive by their logs. AFAIK first line TiVo support does not have access to these logs or at least they never look at them. If you tell TiVo support that you changed the drive out, end of story, no support. If you go ahead and discuss things with them as if nothing is different they will go through a script of suggested fixes (probably a number of which you've already tried, but you have to play along). One of the suggestions may take care of things or at least narrow down the problem.

If it goes to level two support they may or may not help you. If they take a look at their logs that can end the story...but sometimes not. It really depends on the problem and the support person.

I don't know what problems you're experiencing but it might be worth running TiVo's buit-in diagnostic and support programs called "Kickstarts":

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

Of course they only address hard drive issues and if it is indeed something else they won't help, but running them won't hurt either.

The next step I'd take is to slip the original drive back in and force an update:

1. TiVo Central
2. Messages and settings
3. Settings
4. Phone and network
5. Connect to the TiVo service now

Once the download has finished and loaded look at the "Last Status" line on that screen or in System Information and if it says "Pending restart" instead of a date your new software will automatically install at 2 a.m. your time. Or you can reboot TiVo and it will install the upgrade immediately. You will see these two screens during the reboot process when it does.

You can reboot TiVo via the menu screens:

1. TiVo Central
2. Messages & Setup
3. Restart or reset system
4. Restart the TiVo DVR

Or you can simply unplug it, wait about 10 seconds for the hard drive to spin down and plug it back in.

Then see if the issues continue. If so, I'd go ahead and call TiVo and walk through the process. That way you'll have your original drive back in so no issues there, and if it is something other than the hard drive it won't matter which drive is in place.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #6857
hmm52

Thanks for your dissertation on the Premiere, Rich. It would be hard to justify purchasing one in its current state of development. Too bad. I would like to like it and to think that it will meet its potential. Probably fine for someone new to TiVo or more tolerant of glitches than me; or my wife! Of course the WD10EARS failure happened quickly, while I was away for a week, and it was internal on my primary S3. Truncated copies and WinMFS are great and efficient tools, but useless at long distance. My wife was not thrilled. Watching TV directly, sans TiVo, is no longer a viable option for her so she had to use the one in the bedroom until I returned.

FWIW: Through purchasing a number of ebay S3s this summer, I was reminded that the oldest of them have an orange OLED display, rather than the familiar green. I don't know where the break point is, some time early in '07 if I were to guess.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #6858
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Arrow The low-down on WD Data Life Guard Diagnostic Tools

Quote:
The "quick tests" are non-desctructive. The "extended tests", read/write/read as that implies wipes everything on the drive. Quick tests can often find the egregious problems, but if the issues are spread out/small but many, the extended tests seem to be required.
Just to clarify this matter:

WinDLG (Western Digital Data Life Guard Tools for Windows) offers several options.

There is only one Quick Test, which it is aptly named "Quick Test". It performs nothing more than an "Offline SMART test". The drive, or cable, would have to be in really bad shape for this test to catch anything. It takes less than 15 minutes to complete.

The "Extended Test" only verifies that every sector of the drive can be READ, and will attempt to correct any bad sectors, as well as recover the data stored in such sectors. It will prompt you if the recovery poses the potential to cause any data loss (which is somewhat of a moot point, since the sector(s) can't be read, by normal means, in the first place).

ONLY ONE TEST IS DESTRUCTIVE: "WRITE ZEROS"

It gives you ample warning about the loss of data, when you select this option, and gives you two opportunities to back-out.

Last edited by tcfcameron : 11-10-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #6859
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post

WinDLG (Western Digital Data Life Guard Tools for Windows) offers several options.

There is only one Quick Test, which it is aptly named "Quick Test". It performs nothing more than an "Offline SMART test". The drive, or cable, would have to be in really bad shape for this test to catch anything. It takes less than 15 minutes to complete.

The "Extended Test" only verifies that every sector of the drive can be READ, and will attempt to correct any bad sectors, as well as recover the data stored in such sectors. It will prompt you if the recovery poses the potential to cause any data loss (which is somewhat of a moot point, since the sector(s) can't be read, by normal means, in the first place).

It gives you ample warning about the loss of data, when you select this option, and gives you two opportunities to back-out.
Excellent clarification. I haven't used WDDLG for a while now and the memory isn't what it used to be. (Or I can tell myself that it's probably been upgraded/changed over the years...the program that is, not my memory...I don't think ) Thanks for that.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #6860
unitron

There are upgrades and then there are "upgrades"...

Quote:
Excellent clarification. I haven't used WDDLG for a while now and the memory isn't what it used to be. :o (Or I can tell myself that it's probably been upgraded/changed over the years...the program that is, not my memory...I don't think :D ) Thanks for that. :up:
Your memory has probably been upgraded/changed over the years, but, remember, Vista was an "upgrade" from XP, so upgrade doesn't always imply improvement. : - )

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #6861
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Your memory has probably been upgraded/changed over the years, but, remember, Vista was an "upgrade" from XP, so upgrade doesn't always imply improvement. : - )
Soooooo true! Don't forget Windows ME! ]]]Shudder[[[
Old 11-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #6862
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:

Good stuff man. That makes it clear.

Robb

Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #6863
hmm52

So what's the most thorough method to check out a drive before preparing and installing it?
Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #6864
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Arrow

Quote:
So what's the most thorough method to check out a drive before preparing and installing it?
Well, that's going to bring a lot of opinions, and I'm not going to say any of them are wrong (unless somebody posts something blatantly wrong)...

A good start is to simply use the software tools that the drive manufacturer will have available for download from their website. Pretty much run all the tests, starting with the most simple, and working to the most advanced. The advanced ones can take many hours to complete (sometimes overnight)

On top of that, there are "universal" tools out there that tend to have what you could call "torture" or "burn-in" tests, that literally "give the drive a workout", by writing and reading in the most extreme ways the drive can. You can allow these types of test to run more than one pass, and also set them to run until you decide to stop the test.

It really breaks down to just how much time you are willing to spend testing the drive.

I don't have the time to find all the links, to the tools and such, and re-post them, but they are here in this thread (look toward the beginning).
Old 11-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #6865
richsadams

I usually run the most in-depth diagnostic a hard drive manufacturer's software has ("write zeros" style). IIRC the last 1TB drive I tested took about 12 hours to finish. The time frame would obviously vary depending on the size of the drive. I usually set it up to run overnight. If all is well in the morning it goes into service. There's no guarantee that something won't go wrong later of course, but it's a little peace of mind. I've only had a couple fail the test over the years. Although it's frustrating to have to return one it's certainly better than losing a lot of valuable data down the road.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #6866
hmm52

Thanks both. I should have stated that time is not a factor as long as it's unattended time. My experience with the "certified repaired" Seagate led to the question. It was run through the mfr.'s extended test overnight before being set up for an S3 - passed the test but failed a week later. I've played around with Soft Sandra, PassMark and Everest if I remember correctly - only for desktops, and it's been awhile. Drives have become so cheap. If the recertified WD fails a test, or shortly thereafter, I'll conclude that the RMA process isn't worth the aggravation, small sample size or not.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #6867
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
I usually run the most in-depth diagnostic a hard drive manufacturer's software has ("write zeros" style). IIRC the last 1TB drive I tested took about 12 hours to finish. The time frame would obviously vary depending on the size of the drive. I usually set it up to run overnight. If all is well in the morning it goes into service. There's no guarantee that something won't go wrong later of course, but it's a little peace of mind. I've only had a couple fail the test over the years. Although it's frustrating to have to return one it's certainly better than losing a lot of valuable data down the road.
Just so you aware of it, a "Write Zeros" test (write only) may pass successfully, but if you run an "Extended Test" (read only), afterward, the drive may fail.

Why? Because the "Write Zeros" test does not include "write and verify".

That is why some of the third-party tests are so nice to have available. You can set it to read-write-verify all in one test, which you can leave running for however long you want to.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #6868
richsadams

Quote:
Just so you aware of it, a "Write Zeros" test (write only) may pass successfully, but if you run an "Extended Test" (read only), afterward, the drive may fail.

Why? Because the "Write Zeros" test does not include "write and verify".

That is why some of the third-party tests are so nice to have available. You can set it to read-write-verify all in one test, which you can leave running for however long you want to.
The one I used, as mentioned above, was read/write/read so there's plenty of opportunity to find something wrong...but of course no guarantee a chip or something else won't fail the next day. You pays your dues you takes your chances.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #6869
bkrodgers

I've seen some people say that the AV version of the WD drives (EVDS) is worth paying more for ("only" $5 more). But I've also heard that as long as I have the know-how and the right equipment to deal with WDIDLE and AAM settings, there's no proven advantage to getting the AV version (EVDS) of the WD drives over the usually cheaper EARS or EADS versions. Right now I can get a 1.5TB EARS for $75, or a 1TB EVDS for the same $75 on Amazon. It seems like for the same price, the extra space is the way to go.

It also sounds like it may now be possible to use Comer's JMFS tool for the Premiere to use the full size of a 1.5TB or 2TB drive. I know there haven't been a lot of experimenters yet, but it sounds like several people have done it. Worst case scenario, with WinMFS I'd at least get the extra 20 hours the original drive size gave me, right? Other than (possible) drive waste and inability to use tools other than JMFS or WinMFS, there's no reason not to get a 1.5 TB drive, correct?

I thought about the 2TB EARS drive -- it was $90 on Amazon yesterday, but just jumped to $100. Still a good deal, but probably unneeded. Right now it looks to be a $10 difference between WD10EARS and WD15EARS, and a $25 difference between WD15EARS and WD20EARS. That WD15EARS at $75 is pretty darn tempting.
bkrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #6870
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post
I've seen some people say that the AV version of the WD drives (EVDS) is worth paying more for ("only" $5 more). But I've also heard that as long as I have the know-how and the right equipment to deal with WDIDLE and AAM settings, there's no proven advantage to getting the AV version (EVDS) of the WD drives over the usually cheaper EARS or EADS versions. Right now I can get a 1.5TB EARS for $75, or a 1TB EVDS for the same $75 on Amazon. It seems like for the same price, the extra space is the way to go.

It also sounds like it may now be possible to use Comer's JMFS tool for the Premiere to use the full size of a 1.5TB or 2TB drive. I know there haven't been a lot of experimenters yet, but it sounds like several people have done it. Worst case scenario, with WinMFS I'd at least get the extra 20 hours the original drive size gave me, right? Other than (possible) drive waste and inability to use tools other than JMFS or WinMFS, there's no reason not to get a 1.5 TB drive, correct?

I thought about the 2TB EARS drive -- it was $90 on Amazon yesterday, but just jumped to $100. Still a good deal, but probably unneeded. Right now it looks to be a $10 difference between WD10EARS and WD15EARS, and a $25 difference between WD15EARS and WD20EARS. That WD15EARS at $75 is pretty darn tempting.
Yes to the first part, yes to the second part and as for the third, I always go with as large a drive as I can afford (and that will work of course). You may not think you need the space now, but you will one of these days and a second upgrade will only cost you more time and money. JMFS is being used to successfully upgrade Premieres for a more than a few folks now. If your budget can afford it (and you have a Premiere) 2TB is the way to go.