TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2010, 10:08 AM   #6811
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Rich or someone else can better answer the question about Intellipark. I thought I'd heard more recent shipments/batches have had adjustments in the firmware, but I don't know if it obviates the need to run WDIDLE.

As far as going to a friend, won't you have to do that anyways for the upgrade if you have a desktop with IDE drives? (Since the upgrade drive is SATA) Why not kill two birds with one stone & do it in the same trip? I'm guessing you'll have to use another machine for the upgrade, unless you've got some USB drive docks for SATA drives (which, BTW, I've been using for upgrades for friends/family & they make life SO much easier - no need to be constantly opening/closing computer case & installing/removing drives).

My suggestion (if above assumptions are correct) would be to get the NewEgg drive before it goes out of stock. $80 for a 2 TB WD20EADS seems like a heckuva price for a drive a lot of people here are using. If you happen to use a cashback site like FatWallet or Ebates, you can probably get about an additional 2% rebate. Hopefully I'm having a little bit of a Rich Adams moment & giving something back to the community (bows to the master).
Thanks for the help. You're doing a good job. I did buy the drive from Newegg but it cost me about 86 since apparently you need to pay sales tax in NJ and despite my screen name I now live in NJ. I actually have 2 USB to SATA connectors that I used back when I initially upgraded my TivoHDs to 1TB. They worked well for me with my laptop. So the intelipark really does add the trip.

2 questions. First, if I need to adjust the intelipark, could I simply disconnect the main drive in the PC and use those cables to connect the new Tivo drive? Basically is there any reason I need the PC's main hard drive connected? I'm guessing no since the boot CD should have everything I need and I'll just make sure the bios is set to boot to the CD before the hard drive.

Second, is there any way I can use a regular Windows laptop to disable intelipark to avoid the whole "don't worry I'm not going to break your computer, just let me open it up and fool around with your hard drive" conversation with my friend? Would an IDE to SATA cable work so I can use my ancient desktop?
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #6812
rxrepli

Smile Hybrid Image Flawless Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerz View Post
Wow,

I am really surprised to hear of others having issues with Mr. Broflovski's hybrid image.

As I have stated in my first post I upgrading using a Western Digital AV-GP WD20EVDS 2TB, using wdidle to set the idle time to 5 minutes.

The procedure was simple. Connect the new drive to a computer SATA port and use WinMFS to "restore" the hybrid image to the new drive.

I have never tried making backup of the imaged drive so I cannot speak to whether or not that is working.

What I do know is that my Tivo has worked 100% since the upgrade. I guess I will have to cross my fingers that it continues.
I just wanted to confirm what has already been stated. I have used this image on 2 TiVoHD's with no problems whatsoever. I DID NOT even run wdidle3 on the 2 WD20EVDS drives I used for the upgrades! The image has the 11.0d software build. Both TiVo's have now been updated to 11.0j and are running as well as they ever did. My experience with the Mr. B image was Plug-n-Play.
rxrepli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #6813
emerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Quick question on using WinMFS. When I do the restore, do I need to have WinMFS expand the drive (essentialy the MFSAdd function) and also have WinMfs do the Supersize. Basically steps 18 and 19 of the upgrade the internal drive instructions. Are they necessary with the Broflovski image upgrade? Thanks for the help.
Using the supersize function is not necessary with Mr. B's image. If you do select the supersize function, WinMFS will give an error message "supersize failed".
emerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #6814
linetest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
Do a hard reboot by unplugging the power cord waiting for the drive to spin down and replugging it in. See if that helps. It sounds like the Cable Cards are not paired correctly. That would be a Time Warner issue.

Robb
Thanks. No change after that. Guess I'll have to take a vacation day and have them roll a truck.
linetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #6815
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by linetest View Post
I was able to finally replace my dead drive with a new WD 1TB drive using Instantcake. All the setup was completed through Tivo. It records fine. But some channels I switch to show the picture for about 2 seconds then it gives me a Cablecard gray/black screen saying to call Time Warner to activate. I have called Time Warner twice and I gave them the ID's etc they asked for. They said the numbers are correct and the cards are properly matched, but won't help any further because a part in my Tivo was replaced and that means they can only provide "limited" support. So I am stuck with about 80% of my channels. I do have a required tuning adapter hooked into the system also.
Are there any other reboot/reset/re-configure ideas I am missing?
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
It sounds like the Cable Cards are not paired correctly. That would be a Time Warner issue. Robb
Agreed...and TWC is obligated to provide full cable card support by law. It may require a truck roll, but they need to address the issue.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:09 PM   #6816
richsadams

Quote:
2 questions. First, if I need to adjust the intelipark, could I simply disconnect the main drive in the PC and use those cables to connect the new Tivo drive? Basically is there any reason I need the PC's main hard drive connected? I'm guessing no since the boot CD should have everything I need and I'll just make sure the bios is set to boot to the CD before the hard drive.
Yes, that should work just fine.

Quote:
Second, is there any way I can use a regular Windows laptop to disable intelipark to avoid the whole "don't worry I'm not going to break your computer, just let me open it up and fool around with your hard drive" conversation with my friend?
IIRC someone did that and I think they were successful, but I can't find the post so it's hard to say...might be worth a try.

Quote:
Would an IDE to SATA cable work so I can use my ancient desktop?
I don't think so. AFAIK the connection needs to be direct to a SATA port. That said it might work if you were to use a PCI SATA card (like this), but still no guarantees, and for that kind of money it's probably best to just find someone with a PC that has a couple of SATA ports.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:20 PM   #6817
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Question Swap size for Broflovski image & 2TB WD20EADS hard drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxrepli View Post
I just wanted to confirm what has already been stated. I have used this image on 2 TiVoHD's with no problems whatsoever. I DID NOT even run wdidle3 on the 2 WD20EVDS drives I used for the upgrades! The image has the 11.0d software build. Both TiVo's have now been updated to 11.0j and are running as well as they ever did. My experience with the Mr. B image was Plug-n-Play.
I always state what drive I am running in my posts about this image, and that would be the WD20EADS.

You aren't even running the same drive as I am.

I have four TiVo HDs, two of the have the older PROM revision, while two of them have the newest revision. It doesn't seem to matter. All four have ended up in the GSOD loop at least twice. The TiVos can't all be defective.

I also run a full battery of tests on each drive, after each time one ends up in a GSOD loop. I usually swap in a new drive, so that the one I take out can be validated and torture tested for 3 days.

One question that I have been trying to get answered for months, is what swap size should be used with this specific image. I even eventually created a thread on the subject:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=456053

Take note of how many replies I received: 0

WinMFS defaults to 128MB. If you clear the entry (blank) and continue, it will end up being 64MB. Whether that's what the image had, or that's just what WinMFS re-defaults to if you leave it blank, I don't know.

I have tried 1024MB, 512MB, 256MB and just now am trying 128MB.

When not speaking specifically of the Mr. B image, the most consistent data I could collect was that your swap should be 1/2 the size of your drive, in MB. I also noticed that when using Instant Cake on a 512GB drive, that it set the swap to 256MB. So, it seemed right to go with a 1024MB swap.

I asked Comer about this, and he suggested I may want to INCREASE the size. I'm of the thought that I need to decrease the size. I may find that no matter what I set it to, the problem remains. But, at least I'll have one more consideration out of the way.

Last edited by tcfcameron : 11-01-2010 at 08:03 PM.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #6818
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136344

It will show up at $99.99. Then use the following code in the 'promo' field when you're in the shopping cart/checkout area:

EMCZYZX48

This should lower the price to $79.99, which was my shipped price.
Thanks!

I ordered two of them. The way I'm always winding up caught in the GSOD loop, I could use more "spares" to swap in place of the ones that get borked, for whatever reason. At least I have finally mastered getting my SPs re-downloaded, instead of having to manually put them all back in.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #6819
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Instant Cake -- general problems??

Take a look at this thread. I've never used IC but this thread makes it sound like a POS, at least for recent computer architectures using SATA interfaces. Is there another side to this story?

If IC has lost its viability, would a solution comprised of selling a WinMFS backup with instructions for using WinMFS to restore it be technically and legally feasible? I would think that for the TiVo HD, a backup of the 250 GB configuration combined with Clear and Delete after installation would work for any size drive up to 1 TB, correct?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #6820
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Yes, Instant Cake Is overpriced and outdated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Take a look at this thread. I've never used IC but this thread makes it sound like a POS, at least for recent computer architectures using SATA interfaces. Is there another side to this story?

If IC has lost its viability, would a solution comprised of selling a WinMFS backup with instructions for using WinMFS to restore it be technically and legally feasible? I would think that for the TiVo HD, a backup of the 250 GB configuration combined with Clear and Delete after installation would work for any size drive up to 1 TB, correct?
I just read that thread a few minutes ago, myself. Yes, it's practically useless if you don't keep an outdated computer on-hand.

I have used Instant Cake. It's advertised as simple, easy, practically any idiot can use, type software. It truly isn't.

There are all kinds of limitations that aren't mentioned in all the things leading up to your purchase, which is non-refundable. You find out about them, in the support FAQ when you can't get it to work.

#1 My biggest peeve, that it won't work on an original stock drive. The reason, I quote "why would anybody want to restore a used and potentially buggy drive when you can upgrade". I got around this by using it on an old retired 500GB drive first, and then using WinMFS to copy it from the 500GB to the 160GB original.

#2 There is a 1TB limit for the drive you are restoring to. You also can't use a bigger drive, even if you just want 1TB usable.

#3 The hardware requirements/limitations of the computer you are using. The minimum requirements are nearly the same as the what people are finding out to be the maximum system limits.

#4 Your only recourse is to beg them to give you a credit towards an overpriced pre-imaged drive from them. (I don't know if this is even still an option).

Last edited by tcfcameron : 11-01-2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #6821
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmal1 View Post
I created a dos boot cd with usb drivers that recognized usb external hard drives assigning them a lun and a drive letter if I chose. However, wdidle3 would not recognize the external drives, only internal drives. I read elsewhere of people attempting to run wdidle3 on external drives but no one had success.

I did find info in other forums (http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewto...38392&p=214564 and http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewto...fc13760#p46206 ) stating that if you have a computer that takes only IDE drives, you could use a Sata to IDE bridge board (http://www.kingwin.com/products/cate...ers/adp_06.asp), plug that directly to the motherboard IDE cable and wdidle3 would recognize that. I have not verified this myself, but that could be an option for those without sata connections.
I found this post from early in the year. If I end up needing to disable intellipark I'm going to try the SATA to IDE bridge board mentioned here. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #6822
richsadams

Quote:
I found this post from early in the year. If I end up needing to disable intellipark I'm going to try the SATA to IDE bridge board mentioned here. I'll let you know how it goes.
That would be valuable info for sure.

They have them for about $8 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-ADP-06.../dp/B002SZDOM6
Old 11-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #6823
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
That would be valuable info for sure.

They have them for about $8 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-ADP-06.../dp/B002SZDOM6
I tried that one from Amazon a few months ago on a DVD Humax, and it would not work, a PATA drive worked fine on the unit, I did have another type of converter I have used in the past without problems. If the Amazon SATA to PATA (per your link) is now reported to work that would be good info.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #6824
lrhorer

Quote:
I have called Time Warner twice and I gave them the ID's etc they asked for. They said the numbers are correct and the cards are properly matched, but won't help any further because a part in my Tivo was replaced and that means they can only provide "limited" support. So I am stuck with about 80% of my channels. I do have a required tuning adapter hooked into the system also.
Are there any other reboot/reset/re-configure ideas I am missing?
Thanks.
Next time you call, don't tell them a part has been replaced. It's none of their business. It's also not a reason for not supporting you, but that won't prevent the CSR from latching on to it as an excuse for getting you out of their queue.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #6825
linetest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Next time you call, don't tell them a part has been replaced. It's none of their business. It's also not a reason for not supporting you, but that won't prevent the CSR from latching on to it as an excuse for getting you out of their queue.
I called again tonight. I must have had the weekend crew before as two calls resulted in "the cable cards are working fine". Tonight, I reached someone who cared. In fact, the first thing he found was an error on my OTHER Tivo. He reset that first. Then he immediately told me one of my cards was not matched right. He understood that "CP Auth Required" meant it wasn't working right, compared to the other TWO techs on the weekend. He fixed it and had me check some other stuff. He also is sending a truck as he found the signal level to one of my tuning adapters to be too low.
I really, really, really appreciate those that care what they do.
linetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #6826
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I tried that one from Amazon a few months ago on a DVD Humax, and it would not work, a PATA drive worked fine on the unit, I did have another type of converter I have used in the past without problems. If the Amazon SATA to PATA (per your link) is now reported to work that would be good info.
To specify, I'm going to try one of these to disable the intellipark feature (if I need to). The only desktop I have at home is an 8.5 year old Dell that uses IDE drives so I'm hoping that the SATA to PATA bridge will allow me to run Wdiddle via my desktop. I'll let you know what happens. However, I may not actually bother if the Tivo reboots fine without running wdiddle.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #6827
lrhorer

Quote:
I called again tonight. I must have had the weekend crew before as two calls resulted in "the cable cards are working fine". Tonight, I reached someone who cared. In fact, the first thing he found was an error on my OTHER Tivo. He reset that first. Then he immediately told me one of my cards was not matched right. He understood that "CP Auth Required" meant it wasn't working right, compared to the other TWO techs on the weekend. He fixed it and had me check some other stuff. He also is sending a truck as he found the signal level to one of my tuning adapters to be too low.
I really, really, really appreciate those that care what they do.
I think we all do. Unfortunately, the odds of getting someone who is clueless and doesn't care they are clueless on the other end of the phone are not as low as they should be. Give anyone in this class an excuse to hang up rather than fix your problem, and they will.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #6828
delgadobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
This.

Last week, during (rare) storms here Cox Las Vegas continually broadcast warning messages that effectively 'took over' the Tivo, presumably via the cable card. Twice, recorded shows I was watching at the time kicked me out to live TV (actually, baseball playoffs recording for later viewing; I didn't want to know the @#$@# score ).

The programs I was watching at the time became corrupted & unwatchable. I called to complain, the Cox CSR first said the broadcast station sent those messages & they couldn't do anything. When I told him it happened multiple times on a variety of not necessarily broadcast channels, he backtracked but insisted they're required by law to send them & they just do a 'mass broadcast'. So, no adjusting for how cable cards work, it's just a blast that takes over everything, effectively crippling the Tivo until the message is finished.

Then, a couple days later, a season pass attempts to record the 2010 World Series of Poker on an HD channel. It's worked all along until now on ESPN - not a premium, unavailable or PPV channel. It doesn't record & the following message shows up in the history.

"This program was not recorded because either the Tivo HD DVR is not authorized for this channel, the program was not purchased, or the program was not available in your area."

Upon explaining this to the CSR, I'm told "we don't support that if you're not using our equipment." I reminded him I'm paying for the cable card & they're required by law to support it; based on the text provided & history of the Tivo it seems obvious the cable card either screwed up or denied Tivo the right to record it. I'm told at that point "It's a Tivo problem, we only provide the cable card & can't support third party products." Yes, but what if the cable card is the impediment? We went in circles for a while. I asked him to note the account in case I have future problems. Of course nothing was resolved but you can bet I'll build on that if another problem arises.

Sorry, rant done. All a long winded way of saying lrhorer's right. Don't give them any excuse to try to not support you.
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
Toshiba RS-TX20 300 Hr (Basic Life)
delgadobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #6829
NYHeel

Stupid question, but when using the Mr. B image, does it make sense to do a clear and delete once it's installed?

Also, I set up one Guru guide on my Tivo (some useless SI thing) so that it should recreate my season passes. Does anyone know how long that typically takes?

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it all goes once I finish transferring shows from my Tivo to my computer. It's really slow. I'm getting about 7-9 Mbps on my transfers from a wired TivoHD to my laptop (same speed whether laptop was wired or wireless). It makes transferring a bunch of shows from my existing 1Tb drive very time consuming. I have to say that the speed upgrade with transfers makes me consider buying a Premiere as I transfer a lot of stuff both MRV and Tivo to go.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #6830
NYHeel

I just got my eads drive and it has a date of September 17 (or right around there, I forget). What has been the consensus on intellipark for a drive with that date? Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #6831
dgarrick

Too noisy for my EARS

WD EARS Update Report:
Back in January 2010 I upgraded my internal drive to 1TB on my TiVo HD Series 3 unit and added a WD10EARS in an external eSata enclosure. The Intellipark feature was successfully disabled as instructed on page 1 of this thread.

All was well (and quiet) for 10 months when the external EARS drive started making that god-awful whizzing noise driving my wife and crazy. One day last month the TiVo unit abruptly shut down only reviving itself after 3 arduous reboots later.

Enough of this! I just ordered a WD MY DVR Expander 1TB from Newegg as they are on sale today for $89 & free ship.

I do not care if I lose my season passes & recordings (or anything) currently on the TiVo.

Now, the question is (didn't see this combo on the first page of this thread):
How to reset the upgraded internal drive and add the new My DVR Expander?

Thanks...
dgarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #6832
lasergecko

WD20EVDS in Series 3 Series3

Boy, I hate adding another post to a 228 page long thread.

I would swear that I saw a screen shot of someone who put a WD20EVDS 2GB drive into a Series 3, but now I can't find the proper search terms for whatever reason.

A) Is that possible?
B) Is it worth the extra trouble/expense? It's a $55 difference in the cost of the drive from Amazon, but if it's flaky, I will happily "settle" for 157HD hours.

If anyone has that bookmarked, could you point me to it?

On Sunday, I got the SO3 error and Kickstart put it into the eternal GSOD loop. So, while I wait for my Premiere to arrive, I've looked into replacing the Series 3 drive and read through this thread.

I'd like to copy the old drive and program information to the new one, but will that be pointless/problematic/impossible after the SO3 database corruption?

Thanks!
lasergecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #6833
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasergecko View Post

I would swear that I saw a screen shot of someone who put a WD20EVDS 2GB drive into a Series 3, but now I can't find the proper search terms for whatever reason.

A) Is that possible?
B) Is it worth the extra trouble/expense? It's a $55 difference in the cost of the drive from Amazon, but if it's flaky, I will happily "settle" for 157HD hours.

If anyone has that bookmarked, could you point me to it?

On Sunday, I got the SO3 error and Kickstart put it into the eternal GSOD loop. So, while I wait for my Premiere to arrive, I've looked into replacing the Series 3 drive and read through this thread.

I'd like to copy the old drive and program information to the new one, but will that be pointless/problematic/impossible after the SO3 database corruption?

Thanks!
If it is a S3 then no JMFS will not detect the S3 drive. But you can use another program called winmfs to copy and expand to a maximum 1TB drive.

If it is a THD then yes you can use JMFS. Follow this link. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968 Ignore the thread title that says it is just for a Premiere.

And if you have spare hard drive around you should try to copy it and see if that fixes the problem. Then decide if you want to want to get a larger drive.

Scotty

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #6834
unitron

Search 2TB, not 2GB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasergecko View Post

...snip...
I think I know the page you're talking about, but I can't find it right now, either.

I'm pretty sure it's a year or 3 old.

It might have been posted on one of 3 other fora (forums) to which I think we're forbidden to link here.

email or PM me for the links
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #6835
NYHeel

Quote:
I just got my eads drive and it has a date of September 17 (or right around there, I forget). What has been the consensus on intellipark for a drive with that date? Thanks again.
Just to give another data point. No soft reboot problems using WD20EADS with manufacture date of September 27, 2010.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #6836
lasergecko

I think I'll just get a WD15EVDS from Amazon, as previously mentioned for my Series 3.

Will I be able to copy from the old drive that had the bad sectors that caused the original error?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #6837
richsadams

Quote:
Just to give another data point. No soft reboot problems using WD20EADS with manufacture date of September 27, 2010.
Congrats, thanks for the valuable data point and enjoy!

BTW, did you use that IDE/sata adapter?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #6838
lasergecko

The new 1.5TB drive arrived.

WinMFS keeps crashing every time I try to do anything. (Antivirus and firewall are disabled, but I can't get the computer into Safe Mode to try that.)

I can't backup the old image and I can't copy to the new drive. MFSInfo reports "Not a TiVO drive!"

Am I screwed? I don't want to waste a half TB of space on the new drive if I have to go the InstantCake route.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #6839
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
One question that I have been trying to get answered for months, is what swap size should be used with this specific image. I even eventually created a thread on the subject:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=456053
The swap space size is not really related to drive hardware. A good general rule of thumb for most desktop systems is about 2x the amount of RAM - less on a RAM glutted machine. If the unit eats up more swap than that it is going to be dreadfully slow. There are some applications that can eat up lots of memory, requiring lots of RAM + swap, but the apps on the TiVo don't qualify. The TiVo doesn't have a lot of sleeping apps, either, and it never hibernates. I definitely would not set more than 256M. The TiVo isn't going to use any less or more swap whether it has a 10G drive or a 10T drive.

TiVos have minimal memory (64M for an S3, 128M for a THD), but they don't have a Desktop GUI and they don't run a wide array of simultaneous applications. My S3 with 2 x 1T of drives has 128M of swap, and less than 25M is in use. My THD with a 750G drive is using less than 10M of swap.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #6840
teddyk

Help.

So I am going through external drive adding hell. I hope someone who unerstands this stuff has a minute to read this.

Bought a wd mybook av. Tried to plug and play with tivo hd upgraded with 1 TB wd drive I purchased from weakness. Didn't work. Finally, read here that it is not gonna.

Mac user. Got my virtual machine running windows. Installed winmfs. Didn't see either drive. Corrected setup so I was using administrator privileges. Now Winmfs sees the wd drive but not the my book (tried to check the box for mounted volumes).

Next ran mfslive through virtual machine. When I plug in the mybook av and tell it to mount to the virtual machine, I get a lot of data about it. When I do the same with 1tb wd, some -- but not as much -- info comes up.

The when I try to run the command to add the new drive (mfsadd blah, blah), it says "no medium found". When I check for either device, I get "no device found".

Help.
teddyk is offline   Reply With Quote