TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #6751
husky55

Quote:
Originally Posted by linetest View Post
That is the guide I am using, but thought the WDIDLE program is run before anything else. (?) The drive is brand new from Newegg so I don't think it is formatted for anything yet. Should I run WinMFS to create a blank image and then WDIDLE? Doing that I assume I would have to run WinMFS again as I am doing the IDLE procedure ahead of taking my Tivo apart (this weekend). I have a Series 3 and was going to do a full copy from my old drive since it is healthy but small in capacity.

"This procedure has no affect on the TiVo software, settings, or recordings on the drive, so it can be performed before or after a backup and restore."

Direct quote from the guide. Did you burn the ISO file with Imgburn?

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #6752
linetest

I used Active ISO Burner to make the CD.
linetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #6753
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
I like the way richadams summed up the whole 24x7 thing in the parallel Premier upgrade thread as being merely a marketing gambit, although it is really even less than that since they don't actually certify anything.
Oooooo...be careful about those sorts of things. You get what you pay for here. Just to be clear, I think you're referring to this post, and what I was saying is that it's not so much marketing (although "certified 24/7" is a marketing term) but more importantly that TiVo just can't take advantage of WD's dedicated AV drive features. Having the AAM already at the lowest/quietest setting is a plus however.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #6754
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post
I have had a Hitachi HD (not on the recommended list) with my HD for over a year now and it still ticking.
TICKING?! Hard drive ticking is bad! But I get it.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #6755
richsadams

Quote:
I just unpacked a new WD10EVDS drive and hooked it up to a PC to run WDIDLE since the drive had a birthday of 23 Aug 10. When I ran WDIDLE, it shows "Timer enabled and set to 8.0 seconds". Now what on earth could I be doing wrong with something so easy?

*Edit, I should note...When I first booted the CD it only showed FreeDOS OEM Bootable CD-ROM and a "C" prompt. No other message. So I ran WDIDLE3 from the prompt and that is when I got the above message.
I don't think you're doing anything wrong...that's the default timer's setting. You need to follow the directions and run the command to change it ("wdidle3 /D" or if that doesn't work "wdidle3 /S300" - w/o the quotes). After a short time it will come back showing the new setting...300 seconds, etc.

FWIW you can run wdidle3.exe at any time as it only affects the drive's firmware, not any data.

Last edited by richsadams : 10-27-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #6756
linetest

Well Bam! Just like that. Running wdidle3 with the /D switch did it. I had not seen any mention of using switches, so very valuable info for me. Thanks !!!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #6757
husky55

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
TICKING?! Hard drive ticking is bad! But I get it.
LOL!!! I mean the ticker is ticking!!! Not the HD.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #6758
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Arrow

Quote:
I don't think you're doing anything wrong...that's the default timer's setting. You need to follow the directions and run the command to change it ("wdidle3 /D" or if that doesn't work "wdidle3 /300" - w/o the quotes). After a short time it will come back showing the new setting...300 seconds, etc.

FWIW you can run wdidle3.exe at any time as it only affects the drive's firmware, not any data.
The correct syntax is: WDIDLE3 /S300
(note the S that was missing in the above quote)

Other switches:
/D - Disable - no longer works in most cases

/R - Report current timer

/? - This help info

I'd suggest using caps lock when using the tool. There have been reports of lower-case commands not giving the expected results.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #6759
linetest

Since I had the drive on the bench, I ran WDIDLE3 /S300 and it reset the drive to 300 seconds (5 minutes). I ran WDIDLE3 /d and it went back to 3720 seconds (62 minutes). At least one worked for me.

Last edited by linetest : 10-27-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #6760
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Since I had the drive on the bench, I ran WDIDLE3 /S300 and it reset the drive to 300 seconds (5 minutes). I ran WDIDLE3 /d and it went back to 3720 seconds (62 minutes).
I'd advise going with the 5 minute timer setting, as there truly is no advantage in a TiVo application, to setting it higher or disabling it.

Also, some revisions of the utility produce different results if you don't use UPPERCASE for the command line switches.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #6761
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
I think the best suited drive is the one that is on sale when you are buying it.
For what it's worth, if anything, I used WD20EADS GP Caviar drives in all four of my TiVo HDs. The price was right.

I set the WDIDLE3 idle timer to /S300 (5 minutes)

I disabled AAM, and even after two month's use, I can't hear the drives seeking, unless I use a stethoscope on the case.

I have had no problems that would indicate having anything to do with using these drives.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #6762
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
The correct syntax is: WDIDLE3 /S300
(note the S that was missing in the above quote)

Other switches:
/D - Disable - no longer works in most cases

/R - Report current timer

/? - This help info

I'd suggest using caps lock when using the tool. There have been reports of lower-case commands not giving the expected results.
D'oh...fixed. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #6763
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
... unless I use a stethoscope on the case.
Have to get me one of those...think of all of the other uses around the house!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #6764
S3-2501

As an update to my post back in September, the WD10EVDS from Amazon (manufactured on 7/26/10) that I put in my relative's TivoHD has updated from 11.0h to 11.0j without issue. WDIDLE was not run on this drive before installation.
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #6765
Bschneider

In case anyone is interested.. I just installed a WD1002FAEX (7200rpm w/ 5 year warranty) without any issues so far in my Series3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-533-_-Product
Bschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #6766
tvhank

Can someone help me get the Broflovski 2tb image?

Help on my part:
Newegg WD20EARS for 94.99 with promo code: EMCZYNT52. Good till 11/1/2010.
tvhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #6767
dougdingle
HD Tech

Int 250+ext 1gig upgrade to two new 1 gig, preserve everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle:

I have an S3 with the original (250 gig?) internal drive, and an external 1 TB drive.

Is it possible to upgrade the internal 250 to a 1 TB drive (for a total of internal+external of 2 TB) without losing the shows?
Quote:
Unfortunately the answer is no with respect to the recordings. However you can transfer any non-copy protected recordings to your computer using TiVo Desktop, KTTMG or one of the other third-party programs and then return them to your "new" TiVo after the upgrade.

After upgrading the internal drive your external drive can no longer be connected via plug and play, however you can use it if you marry or "bless" the external drive during the upgrade process.

All of the info for everything you want to do is included in the FAQ, but as mentioned in the previous post, don't hesitate to ask any questions that might arise.
OK, taking a different tack, can I upgrade my factory internal 250+external 1 gig to a pair of new 1 gig drives and preserve shows and settings?

The documentation in MFSLIVE and WINMFS both seem to imply this is possible, but a direct query to Spike on mfs.org resulted in a terse "No".
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #6768
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
OK, taking a different tack, can I upgrade my factory internal 250+external 1 gig to a pair of new 1 gig drives and preserve shows and settings?

The documentation in MFSLIVE and WINMFS both seem to imply this is possible, but a direct query to Spike on mfs.org resulted in a terse "No".
Unfortunately Spike is right, it's still a no-go. The size of the drive(s) doesn't matter, so there's really no difference. The maximum combined internal + external capacity for TiVo is 2.2TB's so you could put two 1TB drives into service, but the earlier advice would remain the same.

Folks are often confused by Question 15 in Section IV of the FAQ...

Quote:
Can I backup the recordings on my internal drive and eSATA drive and restore it to a single, larger internal hard drive?

Yes, but only if you originally married the eSATA drive using WinMFS. If you used the External Storage menu, then you cannot copy the recordings from an internal+external setup to a single internal drive.
The key is the last sentence which refers to a normal plug and pray eSATA drive setup such as you have. Sorry 'bout that.

FWIW, although it won't help your desire to keep your recordings, if you're set on having a 2TB TiVo my recommendation would be to buy a pre-imaged 2TB drive from one of the third-party vendors like DVRUpgrade, Weaknees or DVRDude on ebay. That will give you the recording space you're looking for and remove one of the fail points. You could always re-purpose your 1TB eSATA drive...or sell it...on ebay!

Last edited by richsadams : 10-28-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #6769
klyde

Upgrading to larger drive problems.

I have 2 HD tivos. Today I attempted to put replace the 160gb with a 500GB. I first tried the latest WinMFS and every time I tried copying the old drive and it got to expand the drive it crashed. So next I burned a mfs iso and booted from it but when I tried to copy the drive it said it would take 6 hours even though I did the short method not copying the recorded shows. Next I tried to restore the backup of the 160gb from the backup I made with WinMFS. When I put it in the Tivo it booted all the way through but did not play the welcom video and when i hit menue it worked but if I selected anything it reboots.

Any Ideas?
klyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #6770
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyde View Post
I have 2 HD tivos. Today I attempted to put replace the 160gb with a 500GB. I first tried the latest WinMFS and every time I tried copying the old drive and it got to expand the drive it crashed. So next I burned a mfs iso and booted from it but when I tried to copy the drive it said it would take 6 hours even though I did the short method not copying the recorded shows. Next I tried to restore the backup of the 160gb from the backup I made with WinMFS. When I put it in the Tivo it booted all the way through but did not play the welcom video and when i hit menue it worked but if I selected anything it reboots.

Any Ideas?
It sounds like it could be a couple of things. Either the image you have may be corrupted somehow or the drive you're using for the upgrade may be a little dodgy.

You could try starting from scratch to see if things improve...even trying your other TiVo's image.

What drive are you using? Did you happen to run an extended drive diagnostic (read/write/read) such as Western Digital's Lifeguard to ensure there are no bad sectors or other issues before upgrading?

BTW, when you say that you have two "HD TiVo's", exactly which model do you have, the original Series3 the TiVo HD or TiVo Premiere?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #6771
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Unfortunately Spike is right, it's still a no-go.
Rich, I'm not trying to be obtuse, but would like to figure out why it is not possible to take an internal original 250 plus an external 1 gig, and copy everything to a new internal 1 gig plus a new external 1 gig.

To be clear, I don't care about reusing the two old drives, I want two new 1 gig drives with all my recordings and settings intact.

Spike's MFSlive Interactive Command Generator v1.4 accepts the configuration of "internal 250, external 1 gig, copy to new internal 1 gig plus new external 1 gig, preserve recordings" and generates a command line to do it:

backup -qTao - /dev/sda /dev/sdb | restore -s 128 -exzi - /dev/sdc /dev/sdd

hence my confusion at being told it's not possible...
Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #6772
klyde

Quote:
It sounds like it could be a couple of things. Either the image you have may be corrupted somehow or the drive you're using for the upgrade may be a little dodgy.

You could try starting from scratch to see if things improve...even trying your other TiVo's image.

What drive are you using? Did you happen to run an extended drive diagnostic (read/write/read) such as Western Digital's Lifeguard to ensure there are no bad sectors or other issues before upgrading?

BTW, when you say that you have two "HD TiVo's", exactly which model do you have, the original Series3 the TiVo HD or TiVo Premiere?
sorry 2-TiVo HD , new drive hitachi hds721050cla362 7200 rpm. Very very quiet.
no didnt run any drive check. I can do that. I wil try again later tonight.
I dont understand why the linux wfs was so slow it said it was running both fdrives in ata 33 even though they are serial ata.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #6773
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
Rich, I'm not trying to be obtuse, but would like to figure out why it is not possible to take an internal original 250 plus an external 1 gig, and copy everything to a new internal 1 gig plus a new external 1 gig.

To be clear, I don't care about reusing the two old drives, I want two new 1 gig drives with all my recordings and settings intact.

Spike's MFSlive Interactive Command Generator v1.4 accepts the configuration of "internal 250, external 1 gig, copy to new internal 1 gig plus new external 1 gig, preserve recordings" and generates a command line to do it:

backup -qTao - /dev/sda /dev/sdb | restore -s 128 -exzi - /dev/sdc /dev/sdd

hence my confusion at being told it's not possible...
Your current setup causes TiVo to stripe recordings across the two drives. As such, there is (currently) no way to combine that data to a single drive as MFS programs see them as two separate drives. My understanding is that when the two drives are blessed or "married" (using winMFS, etc.) they are seen as a single drive and subsequently the data can be transferred to a single drive.

Although I've never tried it (not a fan of external drives) I understand both scenarios to be true based on numerous reports here and on the MFSLive forum. Spike is the author of winMFS and there were probably hundreds of folks hoping to do what you'd like to do when the upgrade process started. So if there were a way to do it, I'm pretty confident he or someone else would have figured it out by now. IIRC Spike posted some pretty detailed information about why it wouldn't work a few years ago, but it would probably take some digging to find it now.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #6774
richsadams

Quote:
sorry 2-TiVo HD , new drive hitachi hds721050cla362 7200 rpm. Very very quiet.
no didnt run any drive check. I can do that. I wil try again later tonight.
I dont understand why the linux wfs was so slow it said it was running both fdrives in ata 33 even though they are serial ata.
Okay...that should work. Agreed, that is odd about creating a truncated backup...it usually takes a few minutes. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #6775
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Your current setup causes TiVo to stripe recordings across the two drives. As such, there is (currently) no way to combine that data to a single drive as MFS programs see them as two separate drives.
There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I don't want to take two drives and replace them with a single drive.

I want to take two drives and replace them with two bigger drives.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #6776
klyde

Quote:
Okay...that should work. Agreed, that is odd about creating a truncated backup...it usually takes a few minutes. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Well I tried again using Winmsf and turned off my virus checker and it went perfectly.
Thank you
Old 10-29-2010, 02:33 AM   #6777
richsadams

Quote:
Well I tried again using Winmsf and turned off my virus checker and it went perfectly.
Thank you
Ah...I always forget about that. I know it's noted in the FAQ, but it just doesn't stick for some reason. Glad to hear things are going well.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #6778
klyde

Quote:
Ah...I always forget about that. I know it's noted in the FAQ, but it just doesn't stick for some reason. Glad to hear things are going well.
yes I read over it t he first time.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #6779
emerz

I thought I would post a quick update: It is going on seven months since I upgraded my THD with a 2TB drive using the Mr. Broflovski's image. My Tivo has not hiccuped once in the past 7 seven months and I have still not been able to fill it

See my original post here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...96#post7861096
emerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #6780
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

I for 1 am glad to see it's working and stable for you. I have heard about this image and was curious as to how well it works.

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote