TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2010, 02:45 AM   #6721
lrhorer

Yaaaayyyyy!!!

Well, finally! So who is going to be the first one to try one of these? DVR_Dude should be able to make use of them, and of course Jamie's hack should allow them to work in a TiVo, even an S3. Last I saw, Win_MFS is still broken for > 1.2T, isn't it?

Newegg has them for $239, which isn't bad for an intro price. If they come down to under $200 in the next 3 or 4 months, I can start my long-delayed array upgrades.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:48 AM   #6722
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Well, finally! So who is going to be the first one to try one of these? DVR_Dude should be able to make use of them, and of course Jamie's hack should allow them to work in a TiVo, even an S3. Last I saw, Win_MFS is still broken for > 1.2T, isn't it?

Newegg has them for $239, which isn't bad for an intro price. If they come down to under $200 in the next 3 or 4 months, I can start my long-delayed array upgrades.
Comer (jmfs 2TB Premiere upgrade author) tried a 3TB drive out on his TiVo Premiere (both internal and external) but no go. Perhaps it will work in a TiVo HD/HDXL or Series3 though...I'd be very interested to find out as well. Volunteers?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #6723
retiredqwest

Before anyone gets too excited about a 3TB drive..... you better read this http://www.wdc.com/en/solutions/Greaterthan22.asp

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #6724
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
Before anyone gets too excited about a 3TB drive..... you better read this http://www.wdc.com/en/solutions/Greaterthan22.asp
Good advice. I know there aren't any issues with Apple and modified Linux OS's (won't work with 32 bit Windows) but IIRC hard drives larger than 2.19 TB are only supported internally by a limited number of motherboards. I also think there may be Kernel and/or Apple partition issues with TiVo. I only know enough to be dangerous though so I'll leave it to the HDD gurus and TiVo Pioneers to sort this one out.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #6725
ADG
Allan

Quick hard drive question please. Beginning to have some problems with the drive I put in a year ago and I want to get a replacement (or at least a backup for when I need to replace it). My first choice would be 500 Gb but I can go with 1 Tb if needed. Quiet is better since it's in the bedroom.

I've looked at the list of drives in the first post of this tread but most of those (at least the 500Gb) are either discontinued or impossible to find. What are the current suggestions for drives?

And is the Seagate st3500312cs (which is no longer listed) still a viable option?

Thanks very much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ADG : 10-25-2010 at 10:08 AM.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #6726
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
Quick hard drive question please. Beginning to have some problems with the drive I put in a year ago and I want to get a replacement (or at least a backup for when I need to replace it). My first choice would be 500 Gb but I can go with 1 Tb if needed. Quiet is better since it's in the bedroom.

I've looked at the list of drives in the first post of this tread but most of those (at least the 500Gb) are either discontinued or impossible to find. What are the current suggestions for drives?

And is the Seagate st3500312cs (which is no longer listed) still a viable option?

Thanks very much.
Hi Allan. If I were going to replace/upgrade today and wanted a quiet drive I'd go with a Western Digital WD10EVDS or WD10EVCS. The only possible issue with those is that the timeout for the Intellipark feature may need to be extended or disabled to prevent a hang at boot, after a software upgrade or menu restart. I say "possible" because it appears that WD GP drives manufactured after mid-September appear to no longer have this issue. It's not a big process but does require that the hard drive be connected to the computer using a SATA port (USB adapters won't work). Have a read about it in the FAQ, specifically Section IV, #29.

The Seagate ST3500312CS should still be fine as well and the acoustics are very quiet. FWIW there's also a 1TB model of that same drive (ST31000322CS) and the price is very reasonable..

I've always purchased as much storage space as I can possibly afford at the time. It seems I always end up wanting more eventually and I've never regretted it.

Happy upgrading!

Last edited by richsadams : 10-25-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Add link.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #6727
ADG
Allan

Rich - as always, thanks very much. In fact the drive I put in a year ago was a "green" drive so I'm familiar with the process. Size isn't that important to me because I have two S3's in the same room and have plenty of space with a minimum of 500 Gb. But as long as I've got you - is there any reason in your opinion I should go with the WD over the Seagate (the Seagate is under $50: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST3500...p/B002NBFC3O)? and of course it doesn't require me changing any settings).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #6728
richsadams

Quote:
Rich - as always, thanks very much. In fact the drive I put in a year ago was a "green" drive so I'm familiar with the process. Size isn't that important to me because I have two S3's in the same room and have plenty of space with a minimum of 500 Gb. But as long as I've got you - is there any reason in your opinion I should go with the WD over the Seagate (the Seagate is under $50: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST3500...p/B002NBFC3O)? and of course it doesn't require me changing any settings).
Glad to help. If it were me I'd stick with the WD drives. I used to be a huge Seagate fan (still have a couple in service that work great), but since they purchased Maxtor it seems like their QC has fallen off pretty sharply. That might or might not be a coincidence. Based on reviews at Newegg that drive doesn't seem to have done so well either. I used to steer clear of WD drives once upon a time but over the past few years WD has really risen to the top quality-wise and I haven't had any issues with about a half-dozen or more that I've purchased in the last four years or so.

If you want to stick with 500GB you could go with this WD WD5000AVDS AV GP drive for about the same price including shipping. The reviews on Newegg are much better.

Just curious...what is your TiVo doing that makes you think the drive is going bad? If it's only a year old or so it might be something else. Do you happen to have an eSATA drive attached? You probably know best, but if you can post the symptoms the wise folks around here might have other ideas.

Your call of course and hope that helps!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #6729
ADG
Allan

No, no external drives attached. For the past week, many recorded programs (though not all) display sever pixilation and stutter throughout part of the playback (not all). My guess is some bad sectors on the hd, but I'm just not sure. The recordings were all HD (that's all I record) and from more than one channel. If you can think of other potential causes I'd love to hear.

Oh - and it appears the WD5000AVDS is not a green drive - is that correct? If so it looks great. Thanks again.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #6730
richsadams

Quote:
No, no external drives attached. For the past week, many recorded programs (though not all) display sever pixilation and stutter throughout part of the playback (not all). My guess is some bad sectors on the hd, but I'm just not sure. The recordings were all HD (that's all I record) and from more than one channel. If you can think of other potential causes I'd love to hear.

Oh - and it appears the WD5000AVDS is not a green drive - is that correct? If so it looks great. Thanks again.
Do you see Macroblocking/tiling/pixelization during live viewing? If so have you had a chance to look at the RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors? It's quite possible that it's a signal issue...they often appear when the weather gets ugly due to line problems, etc. Just a thought.

All of the WD drives with the "GP" designation are considered "green".
Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #6731
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Do you see Macroblocking/tiling/pixelization during live viewing? If so have you had a chance to look at the RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors? It's quite possible that it's a signal issue...they often appear when the weather gets ugly due to line problems, etc. Just a thought.

All of the WD drives with the "GP" designation are considered "green".
No, just during playback.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #6732
richsadams

Quote:
No, just during playback.
Likely a hard drive then. WD drives have a three-year warranty. You s/b able to get a replacement. You can process the exchange on your own by going to the Western Digital Product Replacement site or you can call Western Digital Customer Support at 1-800-ASK-WDC (275-4932) to have an agent process the exchange. If you have your original drive you could slip it back in while doing the exchange. Just (another) thought.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #6733
ADG
Allan

Thanks again Rich.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #6734
cjgadd3

Quote:

Thanks very much.
I replaced my original 160GB drive in my HD with the Seagate ST3500312CS
back in the spring. Started having problems with it about 3 or 4 months later. Sudden rebooting for no reason. Replaced it with the WD WD5000AVDS from Amazon. Works flawlessly. Dead quiet, too. FWIW.

Last edited by cjgadd3 : 10-25-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added comment.
cjgadd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #6735
ADG
Allan

Okay CJ, thanks.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:18 AM   #6736
lrhorer

Quote:
Why? I'm already aware of the BIOS limitations. I'm not looking to use it on a BIOS bound OS. Look at the last column on the table.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #6737
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Why? I'm already aware of the BIOS limitations. I'm not looking to use it on a BIOS bound OS. Look at the last column on the table.
And it also says a Host Bus Adapter is required......

go for it and let us know how it turns out.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #6738
ADG
Allan

Rich - just a quick follow up if I may.

1) Per your suggestion I ordered the WD WD5000AVDS AV GP drive. I've already burned the wdidle .iso and am ready to defeat the idle function when it arrives. BTW - when I then format & "prepare" the drive does it matter if I use an older tivo hd from the same S3 (the one I removed a year ago) as the source drive? I'm assuming that any firmware upgrades to the tivo are on an EPROM somewhere and not on the HD - correct?

2) As an interim measure I deleted all old programs from the "Recently Deleted" folder. The thinking was that it if indeed the problem is a few bad sectors on the HD, the new recordings will have a lot of available space on which to record that wasn't available before and maybe the pixilation won't be a problem on most recordings. Well, so far so good - watched a couple of new recordings last night with no issues.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #6739
lrhorer

Quote:
And it also says a Host Bus Adapter is required......

go for it and let us know how it turns out.
I will, but I've got to find some pennies to rub together, first. With Christmas coming up, pennies are a little bit in short supply at the moment...

One of my arrays is almost full, though, so I'm going to need to do something before long. I can get a 1T drive for about $60, so even though I will have to chunk the drive later, that extra $180 is just staring me in the face. OTOH I'm rather wondering what I'm going to do with 31 hard drives, once they all get replaced.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #6740
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

A penny for your thoughts.... whoops, its a dime now.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #6741
unitron

Western Digital TSD-500AAKS

Anybody know if the TSD-500AAKS will work (with proper sata to ide adapter) in S1SA or S2SADT machines?

CompUsa has 'em cheapish through Saturday (10/30/2010).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #6742
richsadams

Quote:

1) Per your suggestion I ordered the WD WD5000AVDS AV GP drive. I've already burned the wdidle .iso and am ready to defeat the idle function when it arrives. BTW - when I then format & "prepare" the drive does it matter if I use an older tivo hd from the same S3 (the one I removed a year ago) as the source drive? I'm assuming that any firmware upgrades to the tivo are on an EPROM somewhere and not on the HD - correct?
Using the orignial TiVo HDD is your best bet. OS upgrades are actually on the drive so you have a couple of choices. You could slip the original TiVo drive back in and wait for it to update. (Updates aren't incremental so it automatically goes from whatever is on there to the current version.) Or you can force a connection to get the latest OS (it may take several connections but eventually it will work)...

1. TiVo Central
2. Messages and settings
3. Settings
4. Phone and network
5. Connect to the TiVo service now

Once the download has finished and loaded look at the "Last Successful" line on that screen or in System Information and if it says "Pending restart" instead of a date your new software will automatically install at 2 a.m. your time. Or you can reboot TiVo and it will install the upgrade immediately. You will see these two screens during the reboot process when it does.

You can reboot TiVo via the menu screens:

1. TiVo Central
2. Messages & Setup
3. Restart or reset system
4. Restart the TiVo DVR

Or you can power cycle it by unplugging TiVo, wait about 10 seconds for the hard drive to spin down and then plug it back in.

Then when you image the new drive you'll already have the latest OS. Or you can just use the old image and perform the above steps on the new drive after running winMFS. Having the latest OS on your OEM drive never hurts though

Quote:
As an interim measure I deleted all old programs from the "Recently Deleted" folder. The thinking was that it if indeed the problem is a few bad sectors on the HD, the new recordings will have a lot of available space on which to record that wasn't available before and maybe the pixilation won't be a problem on most recordings. Well, so far so good - watched a couple of new recordings last night with no issues.
I neglected to ask if you ran any of TiVo's built-in diagnostic and repair programs called "Kickstarts". A couple are designed to repair corruption and isolate bad sectors. Might be worth a try. If the drive isn't too bad that may be all you need (sorry I didn't think to ask earlier). More here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2
Old 10-27-2010, 02:43 AM   #6743
lrhorer

Quote:

TiVo does not issue firmware updates. Everything is updated on the drive. There is a PROM chip on the MB, but no one has ever been able to show the hardware is even capable of upgrading the PROM insitu. Certainly no such upgrade has ever occurred.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #6744
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
...the best suited drive is the AV-GP line (rated for 24x7 operation), followed by the GP Caviar line (not rated for 24x7 operation).
If you were to open those two drives of the same capacity you would not be able to discern any mechanical difference because there is none. Same motors, same bearings, same platters, same head mechanism, same MTBF, same warranty, same non-recoverable read errors per bits read, same load unload cycles. The only difference is the firmware, the preset acoustic tuning, and perhaps the amount of cache. All modern drives are designed for 24x7 operation, especially the the newer low-power, low heat, low-rpm models.

I like the way richadams summed up the whole 24x7 thing in the parallel Premier upgrade thread as being merely a marketing gambit, although it is really even less than that since they don't actually certify anything. Even jumping to the enterprise line WD RE4-GP gives you little in the way of more reliability in the TiVo other than a longer warranty. Since the TiVo never spins down nor unloads and reloads the heads in normal use it is an extremely non-stressful environment. I think the best suited drive is the one that is on sale when you are buying it.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #6745
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I neglected to ask if you ran any of TiVo's built-in diagnostic and repair programs called "Kickstarts". A couple are designed to repair corruption and isolate bad sectors. Might be worth a try. If the drive isn't too bad that may be all you need (sorry I didn't think to ask earlier). More here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2
I'll give it a shot - thanks.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:12 AM   #6746
husky55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
If you were to open those two drives of the same capacity you would not be able to discern any mechanical difference because there is none. Same motors, same bearings, same platters, same head mechanism, same MTBF, same warranty, same non-recoverable read errors per bits read, same load unload cycles. The only difference is the firmware, the preset acoustic tuning, and perhaps the amount of cache. All modern drives are designed for 24x7 operation, especially the the newer low-power, low heat, low-rpm models.

I like the way richadams summed up the whole 24x7 thing in the parallel Premier upgrade thread as being merely a marketing gambit, although it is really even less than that since they don't actually certify anything. Even jumping to the enterprise line WD RE4-GP gives you little in the way of more reliability in the TiVo other than a longer warranty. Since the TiVo never spins down nor unloads and reloads the heads in normal use it is an extremely non-stressful environment. I think the best suited drive is the one that is on sale when you are buying it.
I love to believe that this is true. But, and it's a big but, the Newegg reviews of the WD 20EARS ( recently on sale for a fantastic deal) showed high incidents of failures. Now it may be that the internals of the 20EARS and the WD 20EVDS are the same but it seems that the EV (which costs more) reviews are a lot more positive.

Since it takes a looong time to copy the the HD Premiere to the new HD (about 3 hours I believe), I will forsake the money saving deal and go with the most reliable HD. On the other hand, I have had a Hitachi HD (not on the recommended list) with my HD for over a year now and it still ticking. Knock on wood.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #6747
linetest

I just unpacked a new WD10EVDS drive and hooked it up to a PC to run WDIDLE since the drive had a birthday of 23 Aug 10. When I ran WDIDLE, it shows "Timer enabled and set to 8.0 seconds". Now what on earth could I be doing wrong with something so easy?

*Edit, I should note...When I first booted the CD it only showed FreeDOS OEM Bootable CD-ROM and a "C" prompt. No other message. So I ran WDIDLE3 from the prompt and that is when I got the above message.
linetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #6748
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by linetest View Post
I just unpacked a new WD10EVDS drive and hooked it up to a PC to run WDIDLE since the drive had a birthday of 23 Aug 10. When I ran WDIDLE, it shows "Timer enabled and set to 8.0 seconds". Now what on earth could I be doing wrong with something so easy?

*Edit, I should note...When I first booted the CD it only showed eDOS OEM Bootable CD-ROM and a carrot prompt. No other message. So I ran WDIDLE3 from the prompt and that is when I got the above message.
The drive is likely formatted for a PC - not a Tivo - that is my Guess.

Did you follow the step by step procedures -- HERE
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #6749
linetest

That is the guide I am using, but thought the WDIDLE program is run before anything else. (?) The drive is brand new from Newegg so I don't think it is formatted for anything yet. Should I run WinMFS to create a blank image and then WDIDLE? Doing that I assume I would have to run WinMFS again as I am doing the IDLE procedure ahead of taking my Tivo apart (this weekend). I have a Series 3 and was going to do a full copy from my old drive since it is healthy but small in capacity.
linetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #6750
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by linetest View Post
That is the guide I am using, but thought the WDIDLE program is run before anything else. (?) The drive is brand new from Newegg so I don't think it is formatted for anything yet. Should I run WinMFS to create a blank image and then WDIDLE? Doing that I assume I would have to run WinMFS again as I am doing the IDLE procedure ahead of taking my Tivo apart (this weekend). I have a Series 3 and was going to do a full copy from my old drive since it is healthy but small in capacity.
I'm sure it has some format. I would run WinMFS and follow all the steps
in the procedure and run Wdidle last.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote