Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2010, 02:04 AM   #6601
Mike Wolf
Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Cross posting - posting the same questions on multiple threads is frowned upon by the TCF Moderators and is just bad form. I and others took the time to answer your posts, but in the future it's best to post once, wait for an answer. New folks get a pass.
Thank you for talking down to me >.> As I mentioned to you in another thread, if you have an issue with me please address it to me in a private message and not on the forum. Just because I'm new on the forum does not mean I do not have credible information to share, and years of experience in my field.
Mike Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:32 AM   #6602
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wolf View Post
Thank you for talking down to me >.> As I mentioned to you in another thread, if you have an issue with me please address it to me in a private message and not on the forum. Just because I'm new on the forum does not mean I do not have credible information to share, and years of experience in my field.
I'm not sure what experience or field you're speaking about but it's clearly not with TiVo or participating in forums. That's not a bad thing everyone here was new once. However this is a public forum. If you post publicly it's almost a given that responses to your posts will be public as well…kind of goes with the territory and how these things work.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #6603
Mike Wolf
Associate

Quote:
I'm not sure what experience or field you're speaking about but it's clearly not with TiVo or participating in forums. That's not a bad thing everyone here was new once. However this is a public forum. If you post publicly it's almost a given that responses to your posts will be public as well…kind of goes with the territory and how these things work.
Again with the talking down, do you not have tact? I don't want this to become a hassle for me. I have better things to do. Why dont we just ignore each other's posts and carry on with our lives.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #6604
LoST57

Quote:
Probably…but you never know. Might be worth trying w/o it and see what happens. I know it's a big ask and another step if it doesn't work, but for purely selfish reasons I for one would like to know…plus the additional data point will be beneficial to those that follow. But if you don't want to help your fellow TCF members…that's okay…don't worry about us…we'll be fine.
Good points, I will give it a shot without widdle and see how it goes, you made me feel bad Hopefully I'll have a full report tonight or tomorrow! I really need this extra recording space for my vacation
LoST57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #6605
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Again with the talking down, do you not have tact? I don't want this to become a hassle for me. I have better things to do. Why dont we just ignore each other's posts and carry on with our lives.
Rich is right. And Rich is being very nice, tactful, and diplomatic in addressing you.

Mike is new. Mike acts a bit like the drunk idiots I see walking back and forth to their cars at 2am. Mike is young (ETA: This is an assumption) and my guess is he's rude and disrespectful.

Mike will learn lessons in life, Rich already has. Respect your elders, son.

And no, you don't have anything better to do. How would you be so busy here if you did?

* PS: Now THAT was talking down, son.

Last edited by ThreeSoFar : 09-25-2010 at 10:11 AM.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #6606
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Rich, you're great. Not only do you provide great advice on keeping our TiVo's working, but you school the newbies on forum etiquette. Awesome! It's such a pleasure to participate in the forum with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Rich is right. And Rich is being very nice, tactful, and diplomatic in addressing you.

Mike is new. Mike acts a bit like the drunk idiots I see walking back and forth to their cars at 2am. Mike is young (ETA: This is an assumption) and my guess is he's rude and disrespectful.

And no, you don't have anything better to do. How would you be so busy here if you did?

lol, love it!
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #6607
richsadams

Quote:
I have better things to do.
Good to know. Do us all a favor and do them.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #6608
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoST57 View Post
Good points, I will give it a shot without widdle and see how it goes, you made me feel bad Hopefully I'll have a full report tonight or tomorrow! I really need this extra recording space for my vacation
Kidding of course. We'll all look forward to hearing how things go. Happy upgrading!
Old 09-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #6609
bowlingblogger

Quote:

+2
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #6610
Mike Wolf
Associate

Quote:
Good to know. Do us all a favor and do them.
I do, but I seem to have extra time to hang out here too;
Quote:

If you think that was a talking down to perhaps you should check the definition, sir. I respect your opinion on this matter, although it doesn't concern you, and its just that, a bias opinion about your friend and not fact. Anyway your right, I'm a bit new to the forum, thats fine, but although I'm younger then the majority of you doesn't mean that I'm the pain in the neck who drives down the street at 2am with the noisy sportscars. I think we all just got off on the wrong foot and I'd like to start over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Rich, you're great. Not only do you provide great advice on keeping our TiVo's working, but you school the newbies on forum etiquette. Awesome! It's such a pleasure to participate in the forum with you!

lol, love it!
I respect your opinion, although I disagree with it.

I've been a chatroom and forum moderator for a rather long time, and it doesn't bother me that some people disagree with me. I know that I'm better, and thats all that matters. As I said before I consider this matter closed, and I feel this is hardly the time nor place to discuss it.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #6611
richsadams

Okay guys…that's it. Don't feed the troll.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #6612
LoST57

Keep it down I'm trying to do an upgrade here...
Old 09-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #6613
richsadams

Quote:
Keep it down I'm trying to do an upgrade here...
It'll be nice and quiet on my side of the fence now.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #6614
LoST57

Quote:
It'll be nice and quiet on my side of the fence now.
WD10EVDS manufacture date April 26 2010 HANGS on soft reboot widdle time
Old 09-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #6615
richsadams

Quote:
WD10EVDS manufacture date April 26 2010 HANGS on soft reboot widdle time
Ugh. Not unexpected I supposed but sorry to hear that. Well…at least you know how to resolve it. Some folks just live with it and plan on power cycling their TiVo's whenever an update is pushed out (3 or 4 times a year)…seems reasonable unless you happen to be on vacation at the time or whatever. Your call of course.

But hey, thanks very much for giving it a try. That was going above and beyond and it's much appreciated!
Old 09-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #6616
ehardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyK24 View Post
You can mark in one more successful August 24th 2010 WD10EVDS upgrade. Casey
Where did you get your drive with the Aug. 24 date?

Does anyone else know who is shipping WD10EVDS drives with dates that don't have to run wdidle?

Last edited by ehardman : 09-26-2010 at 12:04 PM.
ehardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #6617
LoST57

When using wdidle3 with WD10EVDS I tried setting to 300 but says 255 is max, should I do 255 or just disable it?

EDIT: I left it at 255 and no reboot problem, so I am going to leave it.

Last edited by LoST57 : 09-25-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #6618
richsadams

Quote:
When using wdidle3 with WD10EVDS I tried setting to 300 but says 255 is max, should I do 255 or just disable it?

EDIT: I left it at 255 and no reboot problem, so I am going to leave it.
Good info. I'd just disable it, but IIRC more recently manufactured drives only allowed the timeout to be extended for some reason.

In any case, glad to hear things are good and enjoy!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #6619
LoST57

Quote:
Good info. I'd just disable it, but IIRC more recently manufactured drives only allowed the timeout to be extended for some reason.

In any case, glad to hear things are good and enjoy!
I'll leave it for now, and see if I see any problems, thanks for your help and anyone else that contributed to this thread. Overall I'd say it was a very easy upgrade process (my first Tivo upgrade). Now shows won't be deleted when I go on my 2 week vacation! YAY

Last edited by LoST57 : 09-26-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: spaces between words is good
Old 09-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #6620
richsadams

Quote:
I'll leave it for now, and see if I see any problems, thanks for your help and anyone else that contributed to this thread. Overall I'd say it was a very easy upgrade process (my first Tivo upgrade). Now shows won't be deleted when I go on my 2 week vacation! YAY
Absolutely leave it. I just meant to say that if I had the option I would probably disable it…not meaning that you should go back in and do anything. If it booted up from a soft reboot once there's zero reason to believe that it will be any different in the future. Apologies for the confusion and enjoy…your "new" TiVo and your vacation!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #6621
ddorbuck

Hey guys a few questions. My series3 tivo's drive seems to be going. I replaced the stock drive over 3 years ago and the 750 gig I picked up has worked fine until recently. I want to replace it with a 1 tb WD10EVDS which I see others have used here after using the wdidle3 mods. The last time I did the swap on my tivo I used the linux based MFSLive. This time I have a extra pc with vista 64 on it. Would it be faster or better to use WinMFS this time? Since I do these upgrades so in-frequently I would appreciate any input.

My other question is more of a fact finder, when a drive is going on the tivo is it common to have playback of recorded shows just prematurely end (i.e stop and give the notice to save or delete it).

Thanks. Doug D
ddorbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #6622
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddorbuck View Post
Hey guys a few questions. My series3 tivo's drive seems to be going. I replaced the stock drive over 3 years ago and the 750 gig I picked up has worked fine until recently. I want to replace it with a 1 tb WD10EVDS which I see others have used here after using the wdidle3 mods. The last time I did the swap on my tivo I used the linux based MFSLive. This time I have a extra pc with vista 64 on it. Would it be faster or better to use WinMFS this time? Since I do these upgrades so in-frequently I would appreciate any input.

My other question is more of a fact finder, when a drive is going on the tivo is it common to have playback of recorded shows just prematurely end (i.e stop and give the notice to save or delete it).

Thanks. Doug D
Hi Doug…sorry to hear that your TiVo is misbehaving…it happens. IMHO winMFS is a no brainer, especially since you've already upgraded once. It's really a piece of cake as long as you carefully follow the directions on the FAQ. BTW, there's a good chance that if your WD10EVDS was manufactured fairly recently you may not have to use wdidle3.exe to modify the Intellipark feature. IIRC someone posted that they had one manufactured in early July, that they didn't run the program and that the drive booted up from a menu restart w/o any problems.

AFAIK no one has experienced recordings ending prematurely, at least with respect to a failing hard drive. Did the recordings in question show a full 30, 60 minutes or whatever? The only thing I can think of is that TiVo possibly rebooted during the recording. However it would have had to reboot near the end as normally it would pick up where it left off…splitting the recording into two segments (or possibly more if it continued to reboot). Is that the only symptom? It certainly could be a failing hard drive, but it could be something else as well.

Last edited by richsadams : 09-26-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #6623
ddorbuck

Rich, Thanks for your response. My tivo started acting up a week ago with the dreaded grey screen on my comcast dual cable card setup. In the past I have had many interesting talks with the comcast folks including some senior tech's about comcast and tivo. I'm going to go out on a limb and say my comcast cable feed is ok to my card (well at least it is today). What I noted the other night was live tv was jumpy with a few seconds of freezing video then it would catch up. Last night we tried watching some recordings from the past monday through thursday of this week of a few tv shows like the csi's ,etc and they would start and some of them would go 15-30 minutes in then it would show a glitch and stop with the standard end of programing tivo message to delete it, save it, etc. Today I pulled the tivo drive out and ran spinrite on it. Spinrite reported a few recovered sectors. After letting spinrite chew on it for about 4 hours I stopped it and returned the drive to the tivo since my family is on their way home and my sunday window of opportunity is closing ;>/ Since spinrite found a few bad sectors I just don't have faith in that drive. I may be just experiencing typical comcast issues this past week with the ruined recordings and interesting live tv artifacts but as of today the signal playback on my tivo seems fine. I wish tivo had some live checkdisk type of utilities that you could run from a maintenance menu to verify the disk while in the unit. Anyway hopefully everything will work out and I should have that new drive in a few days. Thanks for your post. Doug D in CT.
ddorbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #6624
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddorbuck View Post
Rich, Thanks for your response. My tivo started acting up a week ago with the dreaded grey screen on my comcast dual cable card setup. In the past I have had many interesting talks with the comcast folks including some senior tech's about comcast and tivo. I'm going to go out on a limb and say my comcast cable feed is ok to my card (well at least it is today). What I noted the other night was live tv was jumpy with a few seconds of freezing video then it would catch up. Last night we tried watching some recordings from the past monday through thursday of this week of a few tv shows like the csi's ,etc and they would start and some of them would go 15-30 minutes in then it would show a glitch and stop with the standard end of programing tivo message to delete it, save it, etc. Today I pulled the tivo drive out and ran spinrite on it. Spinrite reported a few recovered sectors. After letting spinrite chew on it for about 4 hours I stopped it and returned the drive to the tivo since my family is on their way home and my sunday window of opportunity is closing ;>/ Since spinrite found a few bad sectors I just don't have faith in that drive. I may be just experiencing typical comcast issues this past week with the ruined recordings and interesting live tv artifacts but as of today the signal playback on my tivo seems fine. I wish tivo had some live checkdisk type of utilities that you could run from a maintenance menu to verify the disk while in the unit. Anyway hopefully everything will work out and I should have that new drive in a few days. Thanks for your post. Doug D in CT.
My pleasure. It does sound like a hard drive issue. TiVo actually has some built in diagnostic and repair programs called Kickstarts. Although it's probably a good time to replace the drive, have a look here and see what you think...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

Hope that helps a little and let us know how things go.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #6625
wackymann

My Series 3 w/750 GB Seagate started acting funny after a few years, so I upgraded it to a 1 TB EVDS late last year. It's still going strong! I used winmfs on my Windows 7 machine and carefully followed the FAQ. I didn't have any spare power connections on my PC's supply, so I used a couple of Rosewill external USB drive bays. It was a lot slower than if I had used the SATA connection, but it all went fine. I personally think it's prudent to replace the drive every few years as routine maintenance, especially now that they are so cheap. I paid over $400 for the 750 GB drive back in 2006 LOL
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #6626
CaseyK24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehardman View Post
Where did you get your drive with the Aug. 24 date?

Does anyone else know who is shipping WD10EVDS drives with dates that don't have to run wdidle?
I got mine from buy.com.

Casey
CaseyK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #6627
harry99
dls956

Successful Upgrade

Just a note on upgrading my Tivo HD. Before finally discovering that my pixellation/freezing problems were solved by removing the My DVR Expander, I purchased a Premiere upgrade. I am having rebooting problems with the Premiere, but that is a different story.

I did successfully install a 1TB Hitachi Deskstar 31000 this morning, using the great instructions in the upgrade forum. I bought the drive (mfg. date was 09/2009) from Amazon (sent from CompUSA) for $69.99 plus $5.39 shipping. I also ordered a Stanley Torx set and Sabrent USB to SATA/IDE adapter ($10.68 and $19.99 from Amazon). Used WinMFS Beta 9.3 to backup and restore. I had removed all recordings, favorites, etc. Took just under 7 minutes to backup, and 2 min. 20 sec. to restore. Did supersize, downloaded Hddscan and ran AAM. Total time for all that including downloading, registering, etc. was under an hour. Only issue I had was that I didn't attach power to the drive the first time - in the WinMFS pictures, it tells you what adapter to use for Tivo HD - only shows the adapter, not the power - obviously someone who knows more would not have made that mistake.

Anyway, it all worked great, and I am ordering another Hitachi drive for my other Tivo HD.

Now, on to getting my Premiere to work.

Thanks for all your help.
harry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #6628
angs9

Why not use wdidle to disable Intellipark?

I saw a WD10EARS come up for a good price, and once I got over the fear of Intellipark and Advanced Format I ordered it. I just booted FreeDOS and set the intellipark timeout to 300 per the instructions at the first page of this thread. But I noticed wdidle3.exe also had the ability to disable Intellipark entirely. Is there any reason not to just do that?

Thanks
angs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #6629
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by angs9 View Post
I saw a WD10EARS come up for a good price, and once I got over the fear of Intellipark and Advanced Format I ordered it. I just booted FreeDOS and set the intellipark timeout to 300 per the instructions at the first page of this thread. But I noticed wdidle3.exe also had the ability to disable Intellipark entirely. Is there any reason not to just do that?

Thanks
If I remember right, it's fine to try it. It may not work on every drive, and if it does not report success, I would repeat the 300 setting you'd already confirmed works.

It may also be that different versions of the wdidle3.exe program vary in this, some may disable it, some may not.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #6630
rethinking

Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but..... I just got a wd dvr expander (WDG1S10000N) for my tivo HD. I also have a cox tuning adapter and tivo wireless network adapter. I got the expander to set up pretty easily, but now I find that I can only get one usb port on my tivo to recognize a device. They were both working before the install, but now the top port will not recognize whatever I plug in. I have tried rebooting in various orders and still nothing from the top usb port. I have also tried switching adapters and chords and still the top one will not respond. Any thoughts?
rethinking is offline   Reply With Quote