Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #631
Aiken
Blah, blah, blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
And now it's hosed again and KS 57 is refusing to do anything. No GSOD, just straight to the wrong external storage screen.
Well, I think I know why KS 57 wouldn't do anything. The partition table on the eSATA drive is scrambled, probably along with other parts of the drive. It's hard to do a filesystem check/cleanup if you don't know where it is. The internal drive appears to be completely devoid of errors.

For now, I'm just doing a dd_rescue of the internal drive to a 1TB hitachi, which I'll also expand to use the entire space. (Looks like I didn't actually need to rescue, but whatever.) When I reboot with it, I'll let that drive divorce itself from the mising eSATA drive, and I'll just have a 1TB internal drive with my pre-eSATA shows on it. I can probably get the season of Journeyman, Weeds, Doctor Who, and BSG again at some point. Not sure what else I lost, but hey, it's TV and I can probably get the rest again some time, too.

Some day I'll see if I can get a binary dump of a good partition table for a My DVR Expander so I can fix mine and see if I can get the two original drives remarried. Then I can get whatever I'm losing back, but for now this will do.

Still no idea what was at fault... bad cable, bad cooling, bad drive, bad eSATA adapter in the enclosure, bad power, software glitch or memory corruption in their linux (e)SATA driver, I dunno. All I know is that it was the eSATA drive that died and I ain't going eSATA again, just in case. Oh well.

(Edit: seems to have worked, the rescue+divorce+expand, but I'm not sure if my swap space will be big enough. Hm. Lost every recording since the marriage--no surprise there, alas.)

Last edited by Aiken : 12-24-2007 at 02:35 AM.
Aiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:19 AM   #632
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
Do you have a link to the PDF in the top post?
Thanks.

I added the information on AAM to Section III, FAQ #29 (the last question).
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:33 AM   #633
Aiken
Blah, blah, blah.

Handy tip for anyone else who ends up having to divorce a dead eSATA drive:

Any recordings *created* in the last two weeks will be listed in the recording history as being lost when the external drive was removed. Helps one figure out what's gone and what to try to get back, at least in a limited fashion. Alas, anything lost that was more than 14 days old is not noted.
Aiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:37 AM   #634
c3
TiVoholic

2TB eSATA RAID for $490: Cavalry CADA002SA2 at buy.com. Two 1TB drives, probably WD10EACS. No personal experience with it. Price seems too good to be true.

Last edited by c3 : 12-24-2007 at 03:48 AM.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #635
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
2TB eSATA RAID for $490...
But wait! It gets even better: $479.99
Old 12-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #636
syd81

Hi -- I'm new here. Just got a S3...

I have a simple question (I think). Does any esata drive work? Does it have to be a DVR extender?
syd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #637
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd81 View Post
Hi -- I'm new here. Just got a S3...

I have a simple question (I think). Does any esata drive work? Does it have to be a DVR extender?
Welcome to the forum.

The short answer to your first question is no, not all eSATA drives will work with TiVo Series3's and no you do not have to use the TiVo approved WD My DVR Expander. That said, it's not simple, but not too comlicated either as there are a number of options you can use.

To fully understand what expansion drives will and won't work with your new Series3 it is strongly suggested that you read the first post on this thread. It should answer all of the questions you'll have. If you don't understand the information, don't be afraid to ask however.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:44 AM   #638
craigo
Broncos Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
I just came here because my *official* dvr expander causing this problem on my original S3. If I leave it running for 5-7 days, it starts hitching more and more. After a reboot, no new hitches occur in new recordings, but existing hitches in existing recordings persist. A week later, the process repeats.

None of this ever happened before I connected the drive last month, and now it's happened three times, which coincidentally is roughly how many week-long cycles have gone past since.

I'd have to guess that something is happening after significant uptime that is causing bad sectors to be written during recording, and this drive is possibly not set to fail quickly the way a media drive should be. That seems to cause the TiVo to have to sit there and wait for the drive to give up on the bad sector. Input seems dead but is actually getting queued up for when things unlock.

If I'm anywhere near accurate, this is worrisome. Writing bad data or creating bad sectors is not a good situation for a DVR to get into. TiVo needs to figure this one out.

Meanwhile, I'm going to start rebooting my S3 every few days.
I'm getting the same problem. I just installed the DVR Expander and now all the audio/video of the recorded shows skip about 3-5 seconds every minute or so.
craigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:40 AM   #639
richsadams

Best Buy has the Antec MX-1 enclosure on sale for $47.99. Not a great price, but better than their normally outrageous price of $75! and you might find it in your local store rather than having to pay shipping from someone or somewhere else.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #640
garberfc
TiVo'ing since '00

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Best Buy has the Antec MX-1 enclosure on sale for $47.99. Not a great price, but better than their normally outrageous price of $75! and you might find it in your local store rather than having to pay shipping from someone or somewhere else.
Here it is for $27.49
garberfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #641
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by garberfc View Post
Here it is for $27.49
Ah...even better...but better hurry, expires 12/30.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #642
lokisince89

I found a 750 GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 drive- $169.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152100

Any thoughts on how this would work as a replacement to the original drive in my Tivo HD?

Thanks in advance.

Al
lokisince89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #643
MarkHolbrook
TiVo wannabe

DVR expander not recognized!?

Ok I went out and got a DVR expander (the Western Digital one) from BestBuy and followed the instructions to get it working with my TiVo HD.

Nothing seems to work. The SATA cable seems really flakey. But no matter what I do, how careful I am it seems to never be recognized. My steps are:

1) Power down TiVo
2) Connect SATA cable
3) Power up DVR expander
4) Power up TiVo

After long wait, go to expansion devices: None found.

Re-seat all cables, retry... No luck.

Are the external SATA cables supposed to click and lock in place? Mine don't

M
MarkHolbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #644
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokisince89 View Post
I found a 750 GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 drive- $169.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152100

Any thoughts on how this would work as a replacement to the original drive in my Tivo HD?
There is no particular reason why it wouldn't work. However, it is brand new on the market so you will be the guinea pig.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #645
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHolbrook View Post
Ok I went out and got a DVR expander (the Western Digital one) from BestBuy and followed the instructions to get it working with my TiVo HD.

Nothing seems to work. The SATA cable seems really flakey. But no matter what I do, how careful I am it seems to never be recognized. My steps are:

1) Power down TiVo
2) Connect SATA cable
3) Power up DVR expander
4) Power up TiVo

M
You're doing everything right. It sounds like another bad eSATA cable...yours is not the first report of this issue with the WD My DVR expander.

There's more talk about it on this thread (pictures, etc). Once the OP replaced it everything was fine.

If it were me I'd take it back and exchange it for another one. You may or may get a better result if they came from separate shipments...or it might be the same in which case I'd order one from TiVo instead.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:34 PM   #646
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
There is no particular reason why it wouldn't work. However, it is brand new on the market so you will be the guinea pig.
+1
Old 12-28-2007, 11:43 PM   #647
mcmoore

Quote:

1) Power down TiVo
2) Connect SATA cable
3) Power up DVR expander
4) Power up TiVo

M
I have exactly the same problem. It does not recognize the drive at all. I bought the "Expander" from Tivo.
mcmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:10 AM   #648
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmoore View Post
I have exactly the same problem. It does not recognize the drive at all. I bought the "Expander" from Tivo.
You could try another eSATA cable (or it actually may be a bad drive), but IMO you shouldn't have to buy another cable to get things to work.

Bottom line, if you have a supported drive a call to TiVo is in order.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #649
fergie8
TiVoite via RCN

Quote:
There's more talk about it on this thread (pictures, etc). Once the OP replaced it everything was fine.
Well, almost everything was fine. Since others seem to be experiencing similar problems, maybe it would be appropriate for me to finish my story although the final bit is non-technical.

When I talked to the TiVo CS supervisor about the problems I had with my MyDvrExpander and how I suspected it was the cable, he told me that I could buy a replacement eSATA cable locally and if that fixed the problem, TiVo would fully reimburse me for the cost of the new cable as long as I had the sales receipt. So I bought the cable and that fixed the problem. But when I called back with my case number and asked what I needed to do to get the reimbursement, they didn't want to live up to their promise.

I was told that they could only charge back to my credit card for one month's service ($6.95) since my TiVo HD was new and I'd only gone through one billing cycle. The fact that I had two other active tivos in service and had been paying monthly for those for several years didn't matter, nor did the fact that they had promised otherwise. So they were offering me a $6.95 reimbursement for a $27.00+ cable.

I had to negotiate with the CSR to avoid getting ripped off for $20.00+. I told him the least he could do was send me a couple of TiVo coffee mugs, for cripes sake. Nope, he couldn't do that, he said. How about some hats or t-shirts or something? Nope, couldn't do that either. But he said he'd see what he could do and put me on hold for a few minutes. Then he came back and said he could send me a TiVo Glo-Remote to make up the difference. Okay, thank you, that costs more than $20, I'll take it, figuring that something was better than nothing. (I like it too, btw.) But ... well ... am I supposed to be happy that I had to haggle with them about this? Sheesh, just live up to your promises, TiVo!

Besides, they could have just given me 4 months free credit on my TiVo HD account and that would have made it about equal to my out of pocket expense and I'd have been happy with that. But, nope, he said they couldn't do that either. Weak.

Just thought that might be useful information for others who are unfortunate enough to have to play the cable replacement game with TiVo. Good luck.

Cheers,

--
Michael

Last edited by fergie8 : 12-29-2007 at 06:54 PM.
fergie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #650
richsadams

That is good info. The fact that it's working is also good...but I still say you should never have had to go through all of that for a lousy cable.

I've seen other posts where TiVo doesn't seem to have the ability to do anything more than refund a month's service. Anything beyond that seems to make their eyes cross and smoke to begin leaking out of their building.

But at least you have a working drive. I know a year or two from now (when they start offering a 750GB "approved device" ) these kinds of stories will be long forgotten. Yeah, right.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:50 AM   #651
Ben_Jamin75

can anyone recommend a usb -> sata adapter that supports 1TB drives?

I bought two adapters from zipzoomfly but they only support up to 500 GB.

At first winmfs saw the drive with this adapter, now it won't see it at all.

Last edited by Ben_Jamin75 : 12-30-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #652
Jmichigan

Maybe cable, maybe dust...

Quote:
You're doing everything right. It sounds like another bad eSATA cable...yours is not the first report of this issue with the WD My DVR expander.

If it were me I'd take it back and exchange it for another one. You may or may get a better result if they came from separate shipments...or it might be the same in which case I'd order one from TiVo instead.

First time post here ~ Possible bad connection w/ dust!
I have had similar issues with my new WD DVR Expander not being recognized. After 3 reboots the drive was recognized and I got to the screen that asked if I would like to set up the Expander and one final reboot of the Series 3 was needed - I was very excited to gain more space BUT when TiVo was starting up it said that the external storage could not be found. It was asking if I wanted to disable external storage and continue without it. Now I was really puzzled?????? My next step was research and I found tivocommunity.com.
I ended up swapping ends of the cable and reseating them firmly into the TiVo and drive. I tried another restart of TiVo and it seems to have worked. PERHAPS it was the bit of caked dust in the SATA connection of TiVo and the loose connection (it still doesn't click in?)
I see the drive on the setup screen and things seem to be ok for now.. I'll keep you posted! Thanks for the knowledgeable posts!!
WD DVR 500 GB Expander
Jmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #653
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmichigan View Post
First time post here ~ Possible bad connection w/ dust!
I have had similar issues with my new WD DVR Expander not being recognized. After 3 reboots the drive was recognized and I got to the screen that asked if I would like to set up the Expander and one final reboot of the Series 3 was needed - I was very excited to gain more space BUT when TiVo was starting up it said that the external storage could not be found. It was asking if I wanted to disable external storage and continue without it. Now I was really puzzled?????? My next step was research and I found tivocommunity.com.
I ended up swapping ends of the cable and reseating them firmly into the TiVo and drive. I tried another restart of TiVo and it seems to have worked. PERHAPS it was the bit of caked dust in the SATA connection of TiVo and the loose connection (it still doesn't click in?)
I see the drive on the setup screen and things seem to be ok for now.. I'll keep you posted! Thanks for the knowledgeable posts!!
Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum.

That's very valuable info and may well help someone else with the same issues. The S3's have been out over a year now and it's quite possible someone with, um, less than satisfactory house cleaning skills might have some nasty build-up in their eSATA port. It’s become very apparent that TiVo is hyper-sensitive to even the slightest connection problem. (BTW, I do NOT recommend that anyone look behind my component cabinet )

Good stuff...thanks very much!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:35 PM   #654
mcmoore

Arrow Bad Drive or Cable

I talked to TIVO today. After several tests, they said I would have to return the drive to Western Digital for replacement. Even though I had bought the drive from them, they could not replace it for me. This is my third Tivo. I think my first is over seven years old. This is the first time they have disappointed me with their customer service.

When I called WD, they said it was an OEM drive and they could not support it. I convinced them otherwise and they are swapping it out.
Total time on phone to customer support so far today - 2hours 15 minutes!!!
mcmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:46 PM   #655
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmoore View Post
I talked to TIVO today. After several tests, they said I would have to return the drive to Western Digital for replacement. Even though I had bought the drive from them, they could not replace it for me. This is my third Tivo. I think my first is over seven years old. This is the first time they have disappointed me with their customer service.

When I called WD, they said it was an OEM drive and they could not support it. I convinced them otherwise and they are swapping it out.
Total time on phone to customer support so far today - 2hours 15 minutes!!!
Over two hours on the phone to get a replacement drive?! Very sad.

IIRC there have been a couple of other reports of failed WD My DVR Expander drives/cables that had to be returned. I think they were eventually taken care of but it was the same story...TiVo saying that WD had to replace it and WD saying it was TiVo's responsibility. You'd think the two would communicate beyond the original agreement to supply the product...again sad.

Hopefully you'll be back on track soon. In the meantime you could send TiVo an invoice for your time...an attorney's hourly fees should do it.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #656
MarkHolbrook
TiVo wannabe

Quote:

Hi all,

I first tried to find a eSATA cable around town... Nothing... even at a CompUSA none in stock. So I took the entire thing back to BestBuy and brought home a new one. This one works fine.

eSATA cables (first time I've used them... I've used the SATA cables in computers many times before) seem really flimsy for connection. IE I'm afraid to move anything for fear of the cables coming out.

But anyway it's alive. My unit is showing 810 hours of SD record ability.

Thanks
MarkHolbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #657
garberfc
TiVo'ing since '00

Quote:
eSATA cables (first time I've used them... I've used the SATA cables in computers many times before) seem really flimsy for connection. IE I'm afraid to move anything for fear of the cables coming out.
It's sad to hear all the heartache over using the eSATA cables. They're supposed to be more robust as they're external cables. Maybe Western Digital is using some cheap, low bid, Chinese version
garberfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:24 AM   #658
thilt

Apricorn 1TB Problems

I went a different "unsupported route" than leeherman did but have similar problems. I got the Apricorn 1TB DVR Xpander for Christmas. Installation on my unmodified Series 3 went flawlessly. However, late last week I started noticing stuttering, pixelization and audio drops on certain (not all) recorded material. ( I initially thought it was broadcast quality) Today, it was particularly bad on instant replay of football action in the live buffer after I had just seen the pristine live action. I tested several channels and the problems were consistent across the board. I did not have a lot of recorded material so I went ahead and uninstalled the drive. Everything works fine again.
I will be calling Apricorn technical support in the morning but wanted to check if anyone else had faced and solved this problem. Thanks.
thilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:42 AM   #659
richsadams

Quote:
Hi all,

I first tried to find a eSATA cable around town... Nothing... even at a CompUSA none in stock. So I took the entire thing back to BestBuy and brought home a new one. This one works fine.

But anyway it's alive. My unit is showing 810 hours of SD record ability.

Thanks
Glad to hear that things are working well now. Are the connections to the eSATA drive and/or TiVo still loose? They s/b snug and you shouldn't have to tip toe around them.

I agree with garberfc, a good eSATA cable is a no-brainer and WD should be ashamed if they're using sub-par cables to save a few cents. TiVo should lean on them to get their act together.

In any case...enjoy the new real estate!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #660
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thilt View Post
I went a different "unsupported route" than leeherman did but have similar problems. I got the Apricorn 1TB DVR Xpander for Christmas. Installation on my unmodified Series 3 went flawlessly. However, late last week I started noticing stuttering, pixelization and audio drops on certain (not all) recorded material. ( I initially thought it was broadcast quality) Today, it was particularly bad on instant replay of football action in the live buffer after I had just seen the pristine live action. I tested several channels and the problems were consistent across the board. I did not have a lot of recorded material so I went ahead and uninstalled the drive. Everything works fine again.
I will be calling Apricorn technical support in the morning but wanted to check if anyone else had faced and solved this problem. Thanks.
IIRC there was at least one other report of issues with an Aprcorn drive...and I think it was the eSATA cable.

I've used their external drives before and they've always performed flawlessly with one exception...a drive that arrived DOA. They have a very responsive support center and replaced it immediately so I'd give them a call for sure.

They'll probably tell you that the drive hasn't been certified for TiVo, but they still should be able to help.