TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #6511
CaseyK24

Aug 2010 WD10EVDS

Hi,

Just bought a WD10EVDS from buy.com - it arrived and it is a pretty recent build date of Aug 2010. From what people are saying this should be good with the soft reboot I think. I will proceed with replacing the drive without the wdidle3 fix and see what happens and let the forum know the results.

ck
CaseyK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #6512
cbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbad View Post
Could I have downloaded the wrong file? The iso is named fdoem.iso. Maybe I'll give it a try on another computer and see what happens.
Turns out it was the computer, so the download from the first page is still good. I was using my music server, which has an AMD chipset. Maybe that was it. When I did it on an Intel machine, it still gave the same blue screen and message, but promptly went to the DOS prompt and allowed me to complete wdidle. Tested it, and works perfectly.

So, big thanks to Rich and Robb for never ducking a question and really helping me out. In the end, it was all so simple, but only due to the hard work already invested in this thread!

Thanks!
cbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #6513
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2krazy View Post
KS54 started on the GSOD and then reverted to black/grey. Maybe I missed the menus since I had the TV off or maybe I need to change cables. Anyway, the system seemed to be stuck again.

I decided to try 58 instead. The system went through several 'powering on' and 'almost there' and some 'installing software updates' before settling on another black/grey. I'm not sure how long I should let it stay in this state before I move on to KS52. At this point, I'll probably just leave it overnight.
If it went to a GSOD KS54 never started. You could try KS54 again, but if it returns to a GSOD and then when it reboots goes to a grey/black screen I think you've probably done all you can do. It sounds like the drive has too many problems (data corruption and/or bad sectors) to recover. You can give KS52 a shot, but I'm guessing it probably won't be successful.

If that's the case then it sounds like an investment in Instant Cake and a new hard drive is your next step. The good news is that it is almost certainly a hard drive issue and that the rest of your TiVo is healthy. You could replace the whole box, but a new hard drive will likely do the trick.

You shouldn't power cycle TiVo while it's running one of the Kickstarts, but if it's stuck on a black/grey screen you can safely pull the plug.

Let us know how things go.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #6514
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyK24 View Post
Hi,

Just bought a WD10EVDS from buy.com - it arrived and it is a pretty recent build date of Aug 2010. From what people are saying this should be good with the soft reboot I think. I will proceed with replacing the drive without the wdidle3 fix and see what happens and let the forum know the results.

ck
Thanks for that...it will be very good info to know if your drive is new enough that Intellipark won't affect a soft reboot. (BTW, can you post the drive's full manufacture date?) We'll look forward to your response. TIA!
Old 09-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #6515
richsadams

Quote:
Turns out it was the computer, so the download from the first page is still good. I was using my music server, which has an AMD chipset. Maybe that was it. When I did it on an Intel machine, it still gave the same blue screen and message, but promptly went to the DOS prompt and allowed me to complete wdidle. Tested it, and works perfectly.

So, big thanks to Rich and Robb for never ducking a question and really helping me out. In the end, it was all so simple, but only due to the hard work already invested in this thread!

Thanks!
Never have liked AMD.

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #6516
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyK24 View Post
Hi,

ck
I got the same drive from Newegg dated 8/16/10 and I'm shooting for a weekend upgrade so let us know. I got my fingers crossed.

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #6517
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:

Thanks!
I'm glad you got it working cause I was scratching my head.

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #6518
s2krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
The good news is that it is almost certainly a hard drive issue and that the rest of your TiVo is healthy. You could replace the whole box, but a new hard drive will likely do the trick.
I will keep you posted. Earlier you wrote

Quote:
The Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C HD31000 IDK/7K. It's very quiet out of the box (average of 2.4bels to 2.5bels) and the AAM can be tuned to 128 making it even quieter. (Adjusting the AAM can be done via a USB/SATA dock or adapter and is very simple..can be done any time as well.) Also runs cool.
I've found this on Amazon via BrilliantStore for $64 plus ~$10 shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Looks pretty good to me though I've never bought from that vendor. I can't see if this drive has the "intellipark" feature,but I'm still looking. I'm guessing I'm going to be down for a week while I wait for these items. I gotta call Oceanic to see if I can rent an HD box for a short while. They'll probably bill me for a whole months rental....
Old 09-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #6519
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Intellipark is mostly on Western Digital hard drives.

IMO, for $10 shipping, it better be 2-day.

Edit: You better get your glasses fixed, I saw that page, its 64.96 + 5.89 shipping.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 09-17-2010 at 05:27 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #6520
s2krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Intellipark is mostly on Western Digital hard drives.

IMO, for $10 shipping, it better be 2-day.

Edit: You better get your glasses fixed, I saw that page, its 64.96 + 5.89 shipping.
Not to Hawaii. Gotta love the "Paradise Surcharge" Tiger Direct charges $20 to ship the same drive here and that is NOT the expedited price.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #6521
richsadams

Quote:
I've found this on Amazon via BrilliantStore for $64 plus ~$10 shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Looks pretty good to me though I've never bought from that vendor. I can't see if this drive has the "intellipark" feature,but I'm still looking. I'm guessing I'm going to be down for a week while I wait for these items. I gotta call Oceanic to see if I can rent an HD box for a short while. They'll probably bill me for a whole months rental....
That's the correct drive and since you're buying via Amazon you get their 30 day return policy. As ThAbtO mentioned, "Intellipark" is a Western Digital proprietary "feature" so no worries there. I have three of those Hitachi drives and they're pretty quiet out of the box, but for TiVo you'd probably want to adjust the AAM to 128 and that's quite simple...just follow the instructions on the FAQ.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #6522
s2krazy

Quote:
That's the correct drive and since you're buying via Amazon you get their 30 day return policy. As ThAbtO mentioned, "Intellipark" is a Western Digital proprietary "feature" so no worries there. I have three of those Hitachi drives and they're pretty quiet out of the box, but for TiVo you'd probably want to adjust the AAM to 128 and that's quite simple...just follow the instructions on the FAQ.
I guess you're referring to return in the case that it doesn't fix the tivo? No worries there, if it didn't fix the tivo, my computer could always use another Tb... LOL. Of course I'd still be pissed that new newest Tivo was the first to fail (sheesh, the Sony Series 1 is still ticking). Anyway, ordering the drive now, thanks for the help and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #6523
richsadams

Quote:
I guess you're referring to return in the case that it doesn't fix the tivo?
I was thinking if it arrives DOA or fails in the first 30 days or so...free replacement including shipping. (Otherwise there's the manufacturer's warranty of course.)

Now it's just a waiting game eh? Just don't throw the cableco DVR into the ocean when you get frustrated with it in the meantime!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #6524
s2krazy

Quote:
I was thinking if it arrives DOA or fails in the first 30 days or so...free replacement including shipping. (Otherwise there's the manufacturer's warranty of course.)

Now it's just a waiting game eh? Just don't throw the cableco DVR into the ocean when you get frustrated with it in the meantime!
I guess its good to have just in case it comes like the last 1Tb drive I received. The bare drive was on the bottom of the box with no packing around it.

http://twitpic.com/86e3g

Yes, this one was DOA...
Old 09-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #6525
richsadams

Quote:
I guess its good to have just in case it comes like the last 1Tb drive I received. The bare drive was on the bottom of the box with no packing around it.

http://twitpic.com/86e3g

Yes, this one was DOA...
Yikes! A lot of folks including yours truly have received drives from newegg that were very poorly packed...if at all. I was lucky because they all worked fine however. IIRC Newegg has improved their hard drive packing practices now though.

Everything I've gotten from or through Amazon has been packed quite well.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #6526
cbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
I'm glad you got it working cause I was scratching my head.
Thank you again for posting in the other thread and then sending me over here. Huge help!

Now my eyes are wide open, and even though I've been using TiVo since the '90s, I now see possibilities I never even explored.

It's all good!
cbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #6527
warehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLK62 View Post
I just added a WD My Book AV 1TB to my Tivo HD. I'm using the eSATA cable that came with it & so far so good. I'm really happy about the extra space. Those 21 hours of HD can get used up pretty easily!
I just bought one of the new Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expanders for my TIVO HD and tried to install it. My Tivo would hang and never get past the initial "powering up" screen. I went and read some reviews on Amazon where there are some statements that this drive was not compatible with the Tivo HD which kind of ticked me off since there's a big "TIVO verified" sticker on the front of the drive.

I then came to this thread and found a reference to a bad cable. I used a spare e-SATA cable and the TIVO booted OK and I was able to connect the drive but now it's rebooting randomly. I have disconnected the drive since it seems unreliable.

Has anyone else been able to get this to work and if so, were there any tricks you had to do? Should I just return this drive and order the old model?

Last edited by warehouse : 09-17-2010 at 11:45 PM.
warehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #6528
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by warehouse View Post
I just bought one of the new Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expanders for my TIVO HD and tried to install it. My Tivo would hang and never get past the initial "powering up" screen. I went and read some reviews on Amazon where there are some statements that this drive was not compatible with the Tivo HD which kind of ticked my off since there's a big "TIVO verified" sticker on the front of the drive.

I then came to this thread and found a reference to a bad cable. I used a spare e-SATA cable and the TIVO booted OK and I was able to connect the drive but now it's rebooting randomly. I have disconnected the drive since it seems unreliable.

Has anyone else been able to get this to work and if so, were there any tricks you had to do? Should I just return this drive and order the old model?
A Tivo HD will only work with a WD My DVR Expander. Your best bet is to upgrade the internal drive and reduce the additional point of failure that an external drive adds.

The Tivo verified is for the original S3 which can run that drive via a backdoor that Tivo chose to leave open to those units only.

Here is the one that works:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-384-_-Product

Robb

Old 09-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #6529
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=16

The page above begs to differ. Its for both Series 3 & Premiere. The THD is also a Series 3.

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/get..._capacity.html
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-18-2010, 03:07 AM   #6530
richsadams

Quote:
I just bought one of the new Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expanders for my TIVO HD and tried to install it. My Tivo would hang and never get past the initial "powering up" screen. I went and read some reviews on Amazon where there are some statements that this drive was not compatible with the Tivo HD which kind of ticked me off since there's a big "TIVO verified" sticker on the front of the drive.

Yes, the WD My Book AV DVR Expander will in fact work with the TiVo HD, HDXL and Series3. There was one post on Amazon claiming theirs didn't work but it most likely a bad unit, bad cable, etc. There are a number of folks here using them successfully. If it began behaving somewhat normally when you changed the SATA cable it's quite possible that the recommended SIIG Serial ATA external cable could resolve things (it's about $10):

http://www.provantage.com/siig-cb-sa...1~7SISE00F.htm

That said the earlier 1TB My DVR Expanders seem to be doing fairly well as compared to the "original" 500GB My DVR Expanders which had a lifespan of about 12 to 18 months...unacceptable by most anyone's standards.

As Robb mentioned, most folks here would recommend upgrading the internal hard drive rather than having two points of potential failure. If you're comfortable connecting a hard drive to a computer (even via USB) it's a fairly easy DIY project that takes less than an hour and costs around $50 to $75 depending on the hard drive you purchase. Everything you need to know can be found on the first post of this thread.

Your call of course. Me? I think I'd return the drive and get another one just in case it's something more than the cable and while I was waiting for a replacement order one of the SIIG eSATA cables as a backup. Actually it was me once and I decided to upgrade the internal hard drive...but that's just me.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by richsadams : 09-18-2010 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
Old 09-18-2010, 03:13 AM   #6531
richsadams

Quote:
A Tivo HD will only work with a WD My DVR Expander. Your best bet is to upgrade the internal drive and reduce the additional point of failure that an external drive adds.
Actually as noted above, the newer WD My Book AV DVR Expander will work with the TiVo HD as noted by several folks here and a number of reviews on Amazon's website (and even one on newegg).

Agreed about upgrading the internal hard drive in lieu of connecting an external.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #6532
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Actually as noted above, the newer WD My Book AV DVR Expander will work with the TiVo HD as noted by several folks here and a number of reviews on Amazon's website (and even one on newegg).

Agreed about upgrading the internal hard drive in lieu of connecting an external.
My bad guys. I never realized they infact worked on a THD. Sorry for the mis-information and thanks for setting me straight.

Robb

Old 09-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #6533
warehouse

Quote:

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm returning the drive since it's acting unreliable. Even if it's just the cable I don't want to risk losing all of my recordings because of a defective drive.

I'll probably just go with the new internal. I replaced the drive in my old series 2 so I'm not worried about the technical part, I was just trying to preserve the warranty, but my warranty will expire shortly anyway.
warehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #6534
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm returning the drive since it's acting unreliable. Even if it's just the cable I don't want to risk losing all of my recordings because of a defective drive.

I'll probably just go with the new internal. I replaced the drive in my old series 2 so I'm not worried about the technical part, I was just trying to preserve the warranty, but my warranty will expire shortly anyway.
Sounds good. With regard to the warranty, as long as you keep your original drive on the shelf (strongly recommended as a backup anyway), if something did go south you could always slip it back in for an exchange. Although TiVo can tell when a box has been modded if they want to look at their logs, there have only been a couple of cases over the years when TiVo refused to honor the warranty. (I suspect that the owner's felt an overwhelming need to confess what they had done when they called in.)

Happy upgrading!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #6535
richsadams

Quote:
My bad guys. I never realized they infact worked on a THD. Sorry for the mis-information and thanks for setting me straight.

Robb
Ain't no thang!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #6536
cr33p

Just upgraded my Premiere with a 2tb EARS drive from newegg, no problems with it at all and no soft reboot issue

Build Date: July 28 2010
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #6537
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Just upgraded my Premiere with a 2tb EARS drive from newegg, no problems with it at all and no soft reboot issue

Thanks for the drive info. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #6538
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post

So, how many HD hours do you have now?
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #6539
mkkelly75

Another succesful WD10EADS

Just thought I would post that I have upgrade a second TiVo (1st was a Premiere) with a WD10EADS successfully with no reboot issues. The manufacture date on this one (strangely the same date as the 1st one I upgraded) is Sept of 2009.
mkkelly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #6540
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkkelly75 View Post
Just thought I would post that I have upgrade a second TiVo (1st was a Premiere) with a WD10EADS successfully with no reboot issues. The manufacture date on this one (strangely the same date as the 1st one I upgraded) is Sept of 2009.
Congratulations! Without being too picky, did you happen to notice the what day in September? That can make a difference...although it looks like most drive post August 10th 2010 or so are free and clear. Seems some of the much earlier EADS series doesn't have any issues either. IIRC your other drive was Sept 20th 2009? TIA and enjoy!