TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2010, 03:55 AM   #6451
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3-2501 View Post
A relative of mine was getting worried that her DVR expander would be failing soon, so I offered to help her upgrade her internal drive. She got a WD10EVDS from Amazon, manufactured on 7/26/10. After divorcing her expander, copying her old drive to the WD10EVDS, expanding, supersizing,etc. it booted up fine, and passed a soft menu reboot as well. Her original drive had the latest software, 11.0h

I also checked the aam setting on the drive and can confirm that these drives are set at 128 out of the box.

I hope this data point proves useful! These AV-dedicated drives are less than $80 on Amazon now, and with the apparent lack of intellipark issues with the combination of recent builds and the 11.0h software, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these drives to anyone looking to upgrade right now!
Those are very good data points indeed. Thanks very much.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #6452
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Those are very good data points indeed. Thanks very much.
Is the FAQ was up to date regarding the WD drives? I am somewhat confused because I know that the Intellipark feature was causing some problems, and the FAQ currently reflects that information, but it seems that some recent posts suggest that the latest WD drive are compatible with the new TiVo software.

Any info / links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #6453
cbad

Quote:
It's the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it until it is" approach
OK, you convinced me. I've got the drive coming from NewEgg. 5400rpm doesn't cause performance problems for Tivo, right?

It'll be a luxury having all that extra space anyway.

Thanks!
cbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #6454
cbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Change TV for you?
More than that. Changed your life. Mine, anyway.
Haha, that's more like it. It allowed TV to revolve around my life, rather than the other way around. That's the way it should be!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #6455
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbad View Post
OK, you convinced me. I've got the drive coming from NewEgg. 5400rpm doesn't cause performance problems for Tivo, right?

It'll be a luxury having all that extra space anyway.

Thanks!
No 5400 RPM issues at all...hundreds of WD GP drives are successfully being used in TiVo's (including all of yours truly's ).

More space....gooooood.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #6456
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Is the FAQ was up to date regarding the WD drives? I am somewhat confused because I know that the Intellipark feature was causing some problems, and the FAQ currently reflects that information, but it seems that some recent posts suggest that the latest WD drive are compatible with the new TiVo software.

Any info / links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
It is a little confusing right now. I think bkdtv is wise not to update the FAQ until the dust fully settles with regard to recommended Western Digital hard drives. As you pointed out, the Intellipark "feature" is the fly in the ointment of a list of very good drive upgrade options.

In a nutshell, probably the most often used drive for upgrades now is the WD10EARS since it's so plentiful in the marketplace and the cost is hovering around $50 or $60 on sale. They are preforming fine, but as you note there is an inconsistency with the Intellipark feature and the soft reboot issue. Depending on the manufacture date some seem to not need any adjustments to it at all; a menu restart is successful as long as the TiVo in question has the latest OS (v11.0h) installed. Others have had to adjust the timeout or disable it before they could avoid a soft reboot hang and yet others have had to adjust Intellipark before TiVo would even boot up properly. So at the moment there's no clear line of delineation, at least based on the drive's manufacture date, as to which ones will work without issue and which ones won't. It seems that some/most manufactured after the first week in August this year don't need to be tweaked, but again, there's not enough feedback to state that without equivocation. The same goes for other WD GP drive models on the market.

It also appears that WD's A/V dedicated line of hard drives, WD10EVxx, manufactured after July 1 or so do not need the Intellipark "feature" adjusted. However again, there's not enough information to easily make that claim.

So the jury is still out on which WD GP drives can be relied upon without any tweaks...at least for now. More feedback/datapoints are always appreciated.

A number of folks here are successfully using an alternative to the WD drives, Hitachi's Deskstar 7K1000.C HD31000 IDK/7K. (Note it needs to be that particular model as their standard drives are much nosier.)

Last edited by richsadams : 09-12-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #6457
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

My THD is experiencing freeze-ups this AM, and now in process of divorcing the 500 mg expander. Went to Best Buy and bought a 10EAVS, Green, 18-mar-2010.

I will put in the new drive later on.

Lost all my America's got Talent, 14 episodes, and a This Old House episode that I wanted in HD format.

Edit: Seems like the Expander was the problem; since the divorce, the THD has normalized, for now.

Does anyone know how much HD space a Win MFS backup would occupy, with Settings?
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 09-12-2010 at 06:00 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #6458
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3-2501 View Post
A relative of mine was getting worried that her DVR expander would be failing soon, so I offered to help her upgrade her internal drive. She got a WD10EVDS from Amazon, manufactured on 7/26/10. After divorcing her expander, copying her old drive to the WD10EVDS, expanding, supersizing,etc. it booted up fine, and passed a soft menu reboot as well. Her original drive had the latest software, 11.0h

I also checked the aam setting on the drive and can confirm that these drives are set at 128 out of the box.

I hope this data point proves useful! These AV-dedicated drives are less than $80 on Amazon now, and with the apparent lack of intellipark issues with the combination of recent builds and the 11.0h software, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these drives to anyone looking to upgrade right now!
I pulled the trigger on this drive today from the Egg. They did price match for me Amazons price. That allowed me to pay with Paypal and use a balance I just had sitting there. It never hurts to ask. I hope I have the same good results you had with this drive install.

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #6459
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
My THD is experiencing freeze-ups this AM, and now in process of divorcing the 500 mg expander. Went to Best Buy and bought a 10EAVS, Green, 18-mar-2010.

I will put in the new drive later on.

Lost all my America's got Talent, 14 episodes, and a This Old House episode that I wanted in HD format.

Edit: Seems like the Expander was the problem; since the divorce, the THD has normalized, for now.

Does anyone know how much HD space a Win MFS backup would occupy, with Settings?
Sorry to hear about your "loss". How old was your Expander? That's really frustrating.

A truncated backup is small. I just took a look at an old TiVo HD image backup and it's 441MB. I guess that's not small by old-school standards, but in the world of terabytes it's not very big in any case.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #6460
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your "loss". How old was your Expander? That's really frustrating.

A truncated backup is small. I just took a look at an old TiVo HD image backup and it's 441MB. I guess that's not small by old-school standards, but in the world of terabytes it's not very big in any case.
Well, I got the THD in Oct '07 and I believe the expander a few months after that.

I'm thinking about doing the backup first, then return the HD to the Tivo to use while I 'restore' to the EAVS. Also, to put the backup to DVD.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #6461
richsadams

Quote:
Well, I got the THD in Oct '07 and I believe the expander a few months after that.

I'm thinking about doing the backup first, then return the HD to the Tivo to use while I 'restore' to the EAVS. Also, to put the backup to DVD.
Wow, AFAIK that's the longest anyone has reported a 500GB Expander to have survived! Most never make it to their two-year birthday.

Sounds like a good plan. I always keep my original TiVo hard drives on the shelf in case one of my upgraded drives fails, plus I can slip it back in to get back up and running quickly while waiting for a replacement to show up, so that's my backup plan. However having it on a thumb drive or disk couldn't hurt. I was surprised I found my old TiVo HD's truncated backup on my PC's hard drive. I sold the THD a while back when I bought a Premiere XL so I guess it's safe to delete it now.

BTW, I hadn't fired up my PC for a little while (all Mac household now) and was shocked (but not surprised) to see 73 critical Windows updates - mostly security related - and 11 optional updates waiting to be installed. I think our Macs have had four or so in the same time period. Well, that will give my PC something to do this afternoon.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #6462
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I finished the drive which took about 1.5 hrs to do, but I couldn't figure out how to do the WDidle. I did it with my XP drive still in place. Result is 157 hrs, the backup file size was 470 megs.

I also tried to write the files to CD and kept getting read errors during the verify process. I had used 3 TDK CDs that were new and still wrapped, though about 10 yrs old. Finally wrote onto a cheaper CD which wasn't quite so old and worked.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 AM   #6463
richsadams

Quote:
I finished the drive which took about 1.5 hrs to do, but I couldn't figure out how to do the WDidle. I did it with my XP drive still in place. Result is 157 hrs, the backup file size was 470 megs.

I also tried to write the files to CD and kept getting read errors during the verify process. I had used 3 TDK CDs that were new and still wrapped, though about 10 yrs old. Finally wrote onto a cheaper CD which wasn't quite so old and worked.
Nice to be back in business eh? Enjoy!
Old 09-13-2010, 02:52 AM   #6464
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Nice to be back in business eh? Enjoy!
Its been up for about 1.5 hrs now, but the only problem is the menu restart which gets stalled in the start up and doesn't get to the few min more screen. Running 11.0h.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-13-2010, 03:11 AM   #6465
richsadams

Quote:
Its been up for about 1.5 hrs now, but the only problem is the menu restart which gets stalled in the start up and doesn't get to the few min more screen. Running 11.0h.
Bummer. Sounds like you'll need to run wdidle3 after all. Or if it's not a big deal you could just plan on power cycling your TiVo whenever an update is pushed out...that doesn't happen too often.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:42 AM   #6466
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Now I am wondering what's the largest drive a S2-540 can handle?
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-13-2010, 04:19 AM   #6467
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
It is a little confusing right now. I think bkdtv is wise not to update the FAQ until the dust fully settles with regard to recommended Western Digital hard drives. As you pointed out, the Intellipark "feature" is the fly in the ointment of a list of very good drive upgrade options. ...
As always, thanks for the awesome, detailed information. My confusion came from the disparity between the FAQ, and the posts I've seen here. I agree that upgrading the FAQ, at this point in time, is not a good idea.

Hopefully the summary you wrote will help others that have the same questions I did.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #6468
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Not a bad deal for those looking for a 2TB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3668349&SID=

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #6469
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

WD GP and AV-GP feature sets and what WD (and myself) have to say about them

-Originally posted in the "Drive upgrades in a Premiere unit?" thread, but I felt this thread was a better home for it.

Quote:
Also as mentioned, Western Digital's A/V dedicated hard drives have a number of proprietary features including "Silkstream", "Intelliseek", "Intellipark" and "Preemptive Wear Leveling" (PWL) all of which for one reason or another TiVo cannot take advantage. These added "features" contribute to the cost of the drives but not to any actual performance enhancements in TiVo.
I've been wanting to say something regarding how some people keep stating that none of these AV feature sets can be utilized by the TiVo (or in this case stating that they can't/won't enhance performance).

I disagree, but only in a matter of degrees:

Some feature sets are embedded and operate entirely within the drive. "S.M.A.R.T." is a good basic example. But, if said feature set is also supported by the host, you can get more from the feature (read the SMART data that is stored on the drive, for example). While not the best example, it's one everybody knows of (pretty much). You can also take a SMART capable drive that has been running in a host that doesn't support SMART, move it to one that does, and the SMART data will all be there to read. Now, on the flip side of the coin, there are feature sets that are useless without host support (such as SilkStream, which some day may be advanced enough that the drive itself can detect the type of data and automatically utilize the appropriate feature set, but until/unless that happens, useless).

Here's some further thoughts, as well as a few quotes from Western Digital's website and spec sheets:

The current WD20EADS (GP, non-AV) drive specifications include:
"Intelliseek - Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise, and vibration." - from WD web site.

Intelliseek seems to be doing it's job very well with the WD20EADS drives in my four TiVo HDs. (I believe it is also a firmware controlled feature that does not require the host to support it to utilize it.) I have found that my TiVos get laggy when doing things such as reorganizing SPs and other drive-intensive operations if I enable AAM at all, while not making any discernible difference in audible seeking noise. I also tested this by using Hitachi Feature Tool, which allows real-time adjustment of AAM with a slider and allows you to listen as the software makes the drive perform full/random seek operations. My WD20EADS drives (bare OEM from Fry's) came with AAM disabled. I believe they were manufactured in Q3, 2010.

One feature that is not listed for GP-only (but is listed for WD20EVDS AV-GP):
"IntelliPark - Delivers lower power consumption by automatically unloading the heads during idle to reduce aerodynamic drag." - this feature is only listed on the spec sheets for the AV-GP, yet if it isn't in the GP-only feature set, why would WDIDLE3 be needed for non-AV models? So, it must be there and function at some capacity, but the TiVos apparently lack a proper command to un-park the heads, thus WD must have began including that into the firmware, making it another fully firmware controlled feature, like IntelliSeek, in the newer (more recently manufactured) drives. It actually seems like there is nearly no need for this feature in an AV-GP drive, yet it has potential for use in GP-only drives, where it isn't listed as a feature. <scratching head on this one>

This is a feature listed for WD20EADS (GP, non-AV):
"NoTouch ramp load technology - The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring better drive protection in transit as well as significantly less wear to the recording head and media." -If a TiVo being rebooted from the menu, (hypothetically), sends a "Shut-Down" or "Standby" command to the drive, but something in the newer drives' firmware changed and the "Resume" command isn't properly recognized by the drive firmware, this could explain things with the "soft-reboot issue". Perhaps WDIDLE3 is really adjusting this, when used on GP-only drives. Note that this is not the same as IntelliPark, which could be something that the FAQ could include in the future to avoid confusion (hint-hint, wink).

Preemptive Wear Leveling (PWL) AV-GP models only:
"The drive arm frequently sweeps across the disk to reduce uneven wear on the drive surface common to audio video streaming applications." This is a drive firmware controlled feature. It does not matter what the drive is connected to. (Yet, I fail to understand what this could achieve, since WD brags about how "The recording head never touches the disk media..." in both the AV-GP and the GP-only models. How does a head, riding on air, that never touches the platter, cause uneven platter wear?)

"StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations. (2 TB models only)" - This isn't listed as a feature on the AV-GP 2TB model, but it is on the GP-only 2TB.

It seems to me that the GP-only drives may actually have a few features that don't rely on the host they are installed in to be functional, which actually make them better than the AV-GP drives (for TiVo use). One thing that is true, and will certainly be beaten like a dead horse, is that non-AV drives don't have a 24x7 rating. I'm not concerned about it. I care more about "features" and which ones actually are of benefit to me when the host is my TiVo. I've been running hard drives in computers 24x7 for over 10 years, and it's always been the ones that weren't being run 24x7 that died early deaths.

-Originally posted in the "Drive upgrades in a Premiere unit?" thread, but I felt this thread was a better home for it.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #6470
vectorcatch

"IntelliPark - Delivers lower power consumption by automatically unloading the heads during idle to reduce aerodynamic drag." - this feature is only listed on the spec sheets for the AV-GP, yet if it isn't in the GP-only feature set, why would WDIDLE3 be needed for non-AV models? So, it must be there and function at some capacity, but the TiVos apparently lack a proper command to un-park the heads, thus WD must have began including that into the firmware, making it another fully firmware controlled feature, like IntelliSeek, in the newer (more recently manufactured) drives. It actually seems like there is nearly no need for this feature in an AV-GP drive, yet it has potential for use in GP-only drives, where it isn't listed as a feature. <scratching head on this one>

Regarding this comment.

Intellipark is anything, but intelligent. It simply waits a defined amount of time (8 seconds by default on most drives) and if the drive has gone idle it parks the heads. There is no command to utilize it. The only thing that WD has tweaked over the last few years is the definition of "idle". This can be seen by two drives in identical scenarios determining idle at different times.

I have a bunch of notebook class drives with this feature and running in a RAID array (Some RAID1, other RAID5). If the feature is not turned off you can see/hear that the newer drives don't idle anywhere near as often, even though the timeout is the same on both. Same drive model, but newer manufacturing date.

There is actually a counter in SMART information to tell you how many times the heads have been parked. (However, based on information from various NAS forums WD may have stopped the counter from showing the real values).

Another interesting note is that a TiVo drive should, under normal circumstances, never go idle. It is constantly recording to the live buffers, therefore there is no benefit to Intellipark.
vectorcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #6471
cbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorcatch View Post
Another interesting note is that a TiVo drive should, under normal circumstances, never go idle. It is constantly recording to the live buffers, therefore there is no benefit to Intellipark.
That also suggests that there is no harm to having Intellipark for Tivo either since it should never go idle. I guess my real question is: are WD drives w/Intellipark good drives for Tivo, whether or not there is a benefit from Intellipark?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #6472
richsadams

Quote:
That also suggests that there is no harm to having Intellipark for Tivo either since it should never go idle. I guess my real question is: are WD drives w/Intellipark good drives for Tivo, whether or not there is a benefit from Intellipark?
Actually the Intellipark feature is in fact a detriment when it comes to TiVo as it prevents it from rebooting after a software update (or a menu restart). If left alone the owner would have to power cycle TiVo to get it up and running again. Granted updates only happen a few times a year, but that would be an annoyance at minimum.

The TiVo/Intellipark issue has been addressed with the latest OS from TiVo (v11.0h) and the most recently manufactured drives from Western Digital. (Although there are still plenty of older drives in the marketplace and no doubt the supply line). So having to manually extend or disable the Intellipark timeout looks like it eventually will be moot point (or a "moo point" as Joey in Seinfeld said...no one cares what a cow thinks ).

That said there are hundreds of folks here successfully using WD's GP drives in their TiVo's including yours truly. More here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...30#post8130930
Old 09-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #6473
vectorcatch

Quote:
If I were to surmise the reason that Intellipark causes the soft reboot problem:

When the WD drives comes back from parking the heads, they take an extra second or so to return to normal operation.

If the TiVo has tight timeouts (micro-second range) (as would be normal for any embedded style device), it is possible that the drive "parks" unexpectedly and causes the TiVo to timeout on an access operation (the drive doesn't "wake" fast enough). It is possible if this is boot code, that TiVo software handles this as a "critical" error and goes into some sort of Error loop.

To continue the conjecture, I have noticed with my notebook drives that after an initial power up the timeout is much longer than 8 seconds. There is probably an initial timer before the 8 seconds goes into affect implemented to avoid slowing down the bootup process on a PC. My guess is TiVo does not actually "reset" the drive on a soft-reboot which causes the timer to actually use 8 seconds instead of whatever initial timeout is hard coded by WD.

This is all conjecture, but based on my embedded knowledge seems like a reasonable conclusion. Obviously, both a longer timeout on TiVo's part or a modified "idle" detection on WD's part could fix this if it were the case.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #6474
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorcatch View Post
If I were to surmise the reason that Intellipark causes the soft reboot problem:

When the WD drives comes back from parking the heads, they take an extra second or so to return to normal operation.

If the TiVo has tight timeouts (micro-second range) (as would be normal for any embedded style device), it is possible that the drive "parks" unexpectedly and causes the TiVo to timeout on an access operation (the drive doesn't "wake" fast enough). <snip>.
That's more-or-less the conclusion everyone came to late last year. If you Google "Intellipark" you'll find many, many links to discussions about it and the problems it causes...particularly in the Linux communities.

Interestingly enough the Intellipark issue was first discovered and discussed here with stock TiVo HDXL units which employ the 1TB WD10EVVS drive. There was a sudden (albeit small) firestorm of complaints on the TCF after a standard update was pushed out. Owners of HDXL's were none too happy when they discovered their TiVo's sitting idle after the update. So TiVo was impacted by WD's "improvement" to their Green Power Drive's feature set almost immediately (WD apparently never taking the time to notify their partners about the change). TiVo addressed it fairly quickly for those units and subsequently patched the OS for the the other hi-def models as well. (Which was going above and beyond as they had no requirement to do so, particularly for Series3's.) WD has obviously heard the complaints from the general market as well and made some manufacturing changes within the last 30 to 60 days or so depending on the series.

With respect to what happens when the Intellipark/soft reboot issue occurs; when TiVo boots up it hangs at the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen meaning that the motherboard was unable to communicate with the hard drive. That's where it ends, no more, no less.

As mentioned, the issue has been addressed, but it will take a little longer for the older WD GP drives in the market to be exhausted before we can once again declare all of the WD GP series of drives as "recommended" w/o the Intellipark caveat.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #6475
MPSAN

Quote:
However, during a reboot, all buffer recording activity stops. Perhaps the idle mode gets activated while the ROM is checking the TIVO. I always wondered if the code is loaded into memory, and the ROM checks the code and then continues. I wonder as the code can not be changed without a ROM change as they know if it has been messed with. I suspect that is one reason it takes so darn long to boot these TiVo's!.

Last edited by MPSAN : 09-13-2010 at 06:50 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #6476
MaxWin100

Which Hitachi Drive?

I can't find any of the drives listed in the sticky. Amazon sells two Hitachi Deskstar drives: one with one part of the model number and another with the other part of the model number. I don't get it. Which drive works?

Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000
http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskst...d=BVIEQTARIRC6

Hitachi Deskstar HDS31000
http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskst...4489728&sr=8-1
MaxWin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #6477
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWin100 View Post
I can't find any of the drives listed in the sticky. Amazon sells two Hitachi Deskstar drives: one with one part of the model number and another with the other part of the model number. I don't get it. Which drive works?

Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000
http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskst...d=BVIEQTARIRC6

Hitachi Deskstar HDS31000
http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskst...4489728&sr=8-1
Actually they are both the same hard drive, the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C.

The first one listed is an OEM/bare bones drive. The second is the full retail kit which includes a SATA cable, mounting screws and installation guide. You'll be fine with the OEM drive (good price by the way) unless you need a SATA cable and/or mounting screws and instructions for a computer application.

It's interesting to note that some of the customer submitted photos of a retail kit are actually for the 2TB model.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #6478
ciucca

I just updated my wife's TivoHD with a WD 1tb drive WD10EVDS. It's been working great for the past month. All problems are gone. It was have random picture freezes and reboots, and locking up during amazon downloads, with the remote failing to respond.

I just want to point out that I ran wdidle /s0 with this drive to disable the intellipark feature, wdidle /D as stated earlier in this thread, did not work, it just hangs.

Last edited by ciucca : 09-14-2010 at 04:49 PM.
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #6479
vectorcatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciucca View Post
I just updated my wife's TivoHD with a WD 1tb drive WD10EVDS. It's been working great for the past month. All problems are gone. It was have random picture freezes and reboots, and locking up during amazon downloads, with the remote failing to respond.

I just want to point out that I ran wdidle /s0 with this drive to disable the intellipark feature, nit /D as stated earlier in this thread.
Did /D not work? What version of WDIDLE3 did you use? 1.00, 1.03 or 1.05?Many people have had issues with 1.03.

Does the Drive report the Idle Timer being disabled when you check it?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #6480
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

IMO, when I upgraded my THD to a 1tb Sunday, it went very fast, only took about a minute for each of backup, then restore since the drive was practically empty. I was surprised it was that fast. I have heard here the backup/restore took many hours.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~