Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #6421
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
Rich,

Question:
I have two Tivo HD's.

Is it possible to take out the Hard Drive from one Tivo HD and add it to the other? Is there anything special that needs to be formatted or can it be installed cold?
You can do that but you'd get an immediate error message so you'd need to run Clear and Delete Everything to get it to work. That will essentially create a "new" TiVo so I think that probably wrecks your plans to keep everything intact though.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #6422
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoBambino View Post
Rich,

Last night I upgraded a TivoHD with a WD10EARS drive. I decided to do the upgrade without running wdidle to disable the Intellipark feature since the drive was manufactured on 8/3/2010. After running a few tests (recording a show, connecting to Tivo, etc.), I did a soft reboot and was hung up on the "Welcome ..." screen. So, it seems like wdidle still needs to be run with the EARS drives.

Thanks,
Dean
What bmgoodman said. Check the current version, if it's not 11.0h go ahead and try to force an update by going to Messages & Settings->Settings->Phone & Network->Connect now. Try that a few times. Once the download has completed you will see "Pending restart" listed in the “Last Status” line on the Phone & Network Screen and on the System Information screen. TiVo will automatically install the update at 2 a.m. your time or you can reboot it (unplug it and plug it back in) and it will update immediately.

If it's already running the latest software then yes, it's quite possible that Intellipark will need to be disabled (or extended). This seems to be hit and miss at the moment for some reason.

Let us know how it goes and TIA for reporting back!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #6423
DinoBambino

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
Did your Tivo HD have the latest software installed already? Or was this a new unit? I ask because I thought the soft reboot problem also required the latest Tivo software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
What bmgoodman said. Check the current version, if it's not 11.0h go ahead and try to force an update by going to Messages & Settings->Settings->Phone & Network->Connect now. Try that a few times. Once the download has completed you will see "Pending restart" listed in the “Last Status” line on the Phone & Network Screen and on the System Information screen. TiVo will automatically install the update at 2 a.m. your time or you can reboot it (unplug it and plug it back in) and it will update immediately.

If it's already running the latest software then yes, it's quite possible that Intellipark will need to be disabled (or extended). This seems to be hit and miss at the moment for some reason.

I'm pretty sure that the Tivo has the latest software since the machine has been in use over a year.

I will check the software version later tonight after I get the kids to bed.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dean
DinoBambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #6424
mphtrilogy

Quote:
You can do that but you'd get an immediate error message so you'd need to run Clear and Delete Everything to get it to work. That will essentially create a "new" TiVo so I think that probably wrecks your plans to keep everything intact though.
I am ok with losing my data, since it will all be lost when I get rid of the expander, the other Tivo does not have much on it.

So would it be as easy as taking the hard drive out of Tivo HD 1 and putting it into the avaiable slot in Tivo HD2?

Or is there more to it?
mphtrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #6425
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I am ok with losing my data, since it will all be lost when I get rid of the expander, the other Tivo does not have much on it.

So would it be as easy as taking the hard drive out of Tivo HD 1 and putting it into the avaiable slot in Tivo HD2?

Or is there more to it?
If you are using CableCARD(s) you will have to have them re-installed on most cable systems, usually requiring a service call. I believe there are exceptions to this but don't know what they are. The only way to avoid this (unless you're on one of the lucky systems) is to backup and restore currently running TiVo systems, e.g., using WinMFS.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #6426
richsadams

Quote:

Or is there more to it?
What dlfl said. Switching hard drives and running C&DE would be akin to having a brand new TiVo. Otherwise, yes it would be an easy swap out. (FYI there are no "slots" as we know them in computers...the hard drive sits on a sled that you have to pull (four screws) and then swap out the hard drive (four more screws). Looks like this. Quite simple though. You'll need a Torx 10 (T10) screwdriver to remove the cover and possibly a T15 for the drive...although more recently they've started using T10 screws for the cover and the hard drive mount. Torx screwdrivers can be found at Sears, most auto supply stores, etc.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #6427
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Rich,
My Desktop only has IDE connectors with no SATA. Can I use an IDE/SATA adapter at the ribbon cable?

Robb

Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #6428
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

I know people have used USB/SATA adapters, not sure about IDE.

I use this and it works fine, assuming you have a free PCI slot for it. You need cables to do the data back and forth to this, and possibly a power splitter that takes the large power cable off of your power supply and splits it into two SATA style power adapters.

RAID CARD ROSEWILL|RC-201 2P SATA R

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ill-_-16132001

Power cable options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-010-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-003-_-Product
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
Rich,
My Desktop only has IDE connectors with no SATA. Can I use an IDE/SATA adapter at the ribbon cable?

Robb

ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #6429
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
All looks good, but will the SATA/RAID controller work for adjusting the Intellipark feature? IIRC you have to have a direct MB SATA port connection.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #6430
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
All looks good, but will the SATA/RAID controller work for adjusting the Intellipark feature? IIRC you have to have a direct MB SATA port connection.

It does. I used wdidle3 with a bootable DOS floppy. My BIOS (Dell Optiplex something-or-other) recognizes any SATA drives plugged into this and maps them somehow that even DOS saw it.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #6431
richsadams

Quote:
It does. I used wdidle3 with a bootable DOS floppy. My BIOS (Dell Optiplex something-or-other) recognizes any SATA drives plugged into this and maps them somehow that even DOS saw it.
Excellent! I shall add that to my "tool kit" of knowledge.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #6432
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:

I use this and it works fine, assuming you have a free PCI slot for it. You need cables to do the data back and forth to this, and possibly a power splitter that takes the large power cable off of your power supply and splits it into two SATA style power adapters.

RAID CARD ROSEWILL|RC-201 2P SATA R

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ill-_-16132001

Power cable options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-010-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-003-_-Product
Very good. I have a free PCI slot and the second cable (SATA to 4pin should work) That could get me by in a pinch. Maybe?

If you had to pick a drive that did not have to be tuned or have the Intellipark issue, what drive would you choose?

Thanks Much.
Robb

Old 09-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #6433
richsadams

The Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C HD31000 IDK/7K. It's very quiet out of the box (average of 2.4bels to 2.5bels) and the AAM can be tuned to 128 making it even quieter. (Adjusting the AAM can be done via a USB/SATA dock or adapter and is very simple..can be done any time as well.) Also runs cool.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #6434
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
The Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C HD31000 IDK/7K. It's very quiet out of the box (average of 2.4bels to 2.5bels) and the AAM can be tuned to 128 making it even quieter. (Adjusting the AAM can be done via a USB/SATA dock or adapter and is very simple..can be done any time as well.) Also runs cool.
Thanks. I have the adapter already so that will make it easy even if I don't tune it. I'm having withdraw symptoms already. Thinking of getting the HD anyway to tide me over.

Robb

Old 09-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #6435
mkkelly75

2TB Drives

So I read earlier in this thread that someone had success using the MFS tools to upgrade to a 2TB hdd following the standard instructions. It seemed it was working well but then he ran into some issues when it got full (forgive me if I am confusing 2 separate issues here). Is there an confirmation that this will not work or that it does? Haven't seen anything definitive.
mkkelly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #6436
MPSAN

Quote:
Must be BIOS adds as they would work before any OS is even loaded. That should also mean you could boot from a SATA on that card as well.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #6437
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Must be BIOS adds as they would work before any OS is even loaded. That should also mean you could boot from a SATA on that card as well.
Should'a known you'd know all about that stuff!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #6438
DinoBambino

Quote:

The Tivo is running software version 11.0h.

I ran wdidle against the Tivo upgrade drive. Now the soft reboot works fine without any hangups.

In my case, a WD10EARS manufactured on 8/3/2010 had the soft reboot issue.

Thanks to everyone in this forum who has provided advice and soultions for Tivo issues. I've fixed/replaced the power supply, fan and hard drive in my S2. Diagnosed a faulty WD Expander (never use one of those again). And, upgraded the internal drive in two TivoHd's.

Dean
DinoBambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #6439
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoBambino View Post
The Tivo is running software version 11.0h.

I ran wdidle against the Tivo upgrade drive. Now the soft reboot works fine without any hangups.

In my case, a WD10EARS manufactured on 8/3/2010 had the soft reboot issue.

Thanks to everyone in this forum who has provided advice and soultions for Tivo issues. I've fixed/replaced the power supply, fan and hard drive in my S2. Diagnosed a faulty WD Expander (never use one of those again). And, upgraded the internal drive in two TivoHd's.

Dean
Good info...thanks very much. Oh, and enjoy!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #6440
richsadams

1TB WD GP Hard Drive $54.99

Dell has the 1TB WD10EARS hard drive on sale for $54.99 w/free shipping...

http://dell.to/aHn6sF
Old 09-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #6441
cbad

drive swap between tivos

First, thank you for this incredible thread. I upgraded a hard drive after a crash and thanks to your step-by-steps, it was easy and went without a hitch. Well, until the TW guy tried to re-pair the cablecards, then it all went south...

Anyway, now I have a Series 3 with only one tuner (one slot got damaged). What I want to do is swap my new, cool large drive from my S3 to one of my TivoHDs with a small drive.

It was suggested elsewhere that I could use winMFS to create backup images for each drive, and then swap the destination drive when I restore them. It was also suggested I double check that here first. Sounds perfect and pretty easy, but I have a couple of questions:

1. When I restore the image from my small drive onto the large one, will it be smart enough to know there is a lot more space on the larger drive and be able to use it?

2. It looks like it will remember the cable card settings too. Did I get that right? I'd love to have a solution where I don't have to have TW back to mess with cards.

Thanks!
cbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #6442
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbad View Post
Anyway, now I have a Series 3 with only one tuner (one slot got damaged). What I want to do is swap my new, cool large drive from my S3 to one of my TivoHDs with a small drive. <snip>
Sorry to hear about the cable card incident...how frustrating! Is there any hope for your Series3? You might be able to get TiVo to swap it out for a price...and based on posts if you're a good customer (long-term, multiple TiVo's, etc.) the price might be negotiable.

If I'm reading your post right, you want to use your 1TB drive in your TiVo HD now correct? If so you would just start from scratch just as you did when you upgraded your Series3, following all of the steps on the FAQ. Since you'll be using your TiVo HD's hard drive to create an image for the new drive, yes your cable card info, Season Passes, etc. will remain intact. You can even save your recordings by following the full copy and restore procedure if want.

If you're thinking you can "save" anything from your 1TB drive, unfortunately, no that won't work. One because you can't swap images from one model (Series3) to another (TiVo HD) and two because winMFS will automatically format the new drive.

If you have recordings on your Series3 that you'd like to save you can use TiVo Desktop or another program like KMTTG to transfer (non copy protected) recordings from it to your computer and then back again to the upgraded TiVo HD later.

Probably not exactly what you wanted to hear, but hope that helps!

Last edited by richsadams : 09-11-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #6443
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Prices on 1TBs are as low as $55 or so, shipped. One at Dell was posted this week sometime in this thread.

Are you sure you don't want to leave the HDTiVO as is and just upgrade the drive in the S3?

Also, FYI, your S3 is still usable with both tuners, but only if you do NOT put any cableCARDs in it. It will record HD via the antenna, as well (both tuners). Of course, you won't get the pay/HD content via cable that way.

We have a single M (multistream) card in our two HDTiVos, and our two S3's are cable only, and one of those OTA. The fall season's just ramping up--I hope four HD tuners at a time is enough to avoid conflicts (we record a lot, obv.)

Quote:
First, thank you for this incredible thread. I upgraded a hard drive after a crash and thanks to your step-by-steps, it was easy and went without a hitch. Well, until the TW guy tried to re-pair the cablecards, then it all went south...

Anyway, now I have a Series 3 with only one tuner (one slot got damaged). What I want to do is swap my new, cool large drive from my S3 to one of my TivoHDs with a small drive.

It was suggested elsewhere that I could use winMFS to create backup images for each drive, and then swap the destination drive when I restore them. It was also suggested I double check that here first. Sounds perfect and pretty easy, but I have a couple of questions:

1. When I restore the image from my small drive onto the large one, will it be smart enough to know there is a lot more space on the larger drive and be able to use it?

2. It looks like it will remember the cable card settings too. Did I get that right? I'd love to have a solution where I don't have to have TW back to mess with cards.

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #6444
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:

Thanks!
I told you he knew his stuff .
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455418
Rich is the man.

Robb

Old 09-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #6445
cbad

Quote:
Probably not exactly what you wanted to hear, but hope that helps!
Actually, it's great advice and I can handle the truth. But I'm not sure I explained what I'm trying to do very clearly, so let me try once more...

1. I want to swap drives between Tivos. I know I can't do it by just swapping the drives directly.

2. I have a 1TB drive in my S3, and whatever in my TivoHD.

3. I'll use winMFS to save an image on my computer for each drive.

4. I'll restore the image from my TivoHD on the 1TB drive, and then put that into my TivoHD. Note that is where the switch is occurring.

5. I'll restore the image from my S3 on the smaller drive, and then put that into my S3. Same kind of switch.

6. So now the only difference is the size of the drive. The right OS and drivers should be correct for each Tivo. Even the cablecard info should right. After all, the drives are generic, it's the info on them that makes the difference.

Of course, I assuming a lot by the above, but it seems reasonable.

So my question is, does the image also contain all the information about the drive volume size or will it adapt and allow the extra space on the larger drive to be used?

It kind of seems like it should work, but maybe you all have been through something like this before and see the error in my thinking.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #6446
cbad

Quote:
Is there any hope for your Series3? You might be able to get TiVo to swap it out for a price...and based on posts if you're a good customer (long-term, multiple TiVo's, etc.) the price might be negotiable.
Haha, yep I've been a Tivo guy since the start, but haven't customized one till I saw your advice. Should have done it long ago. I still have my Series 1 in the garage which drives my wife crazy, but it really did change TV for me, so I'm not ready to part with it!

The S3 in question has my original lifetime sub from my S1 (cost me $100 back then). So I'm trying to keep it going without paying another upgrade until I really need it.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #6447
S3-2501

More real data regarding WD10EVDS and 11.0h

A relative of mine was getting worried that her DVR expander would be failing soon, so I offered to help her upgrade her internal drive. She got a WD10EVDS from Amazon, manufactured on 7/26/10. After divorcing her expander, copying her old drive to the WD10EVDS, expanding, supersizing,etc. it booted up fine, and passed a soft menu reboot as well. Her original drive had the latest software, 11.0h

I also checked the aam setting on the drive and can confirm that these drives are set at 128 out of the box.

I hope this data point proves useful! These AV-dedicated drives are less than $80 on Amazon now, and with the apparent lack of intellipark issues with the combination of recent builds and the 11.0h software, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these drives to anyone looking to upgrade right now!
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #6448
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Change TV for you?

More than that. Changed your life. Mine, anyway.

My Dad was born in 1927, died in 2004, but not before I got him hooked on TiVo.

"It's the best thing ever." That's what he said.

Quote:
Haha, yep I've been a Tivo guy since the start, but haven't customized one till I saw your advice. Should have done it long ago. I still have my Series 1 in the garage which drives my wife crazy, but it really did change TV for me, so I'm not ready to part with it!

The S3 in question has my original lifetime sub from my S1 (cost me $100 back then). So I'm trying to keep it going without paying another upgrade until I really need it.

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2010, 02:52 AM   #6449
richsadams

Quote:
Actually, it's great advice and I can handle the truth. But I'm not sure I explained what I'm trying to do very clearly, so let me try once more...<snip>
Ah, okay, good info. With respect to upgrading/restoring your TiVo HD's image to the 1TB hard drive using winMFS and the standard upgrade procedure, yes that s/b fine. In other words, the process would be the same no matter where the 1TB drive came from (winMFS will format the 1TB drive, and you'll expand the TiVo HD's partitions and such as normal).

Where I think you will run into trouble with a capital "T" is trying to restore your Series3's image to the TiVo HD's drive...I say I think because I've never heard of anyone doing that...basically downgrading using an upgraded image. I'm almost certain that you have to use an original (non-expanded) TiVo image because images from upgraded TiVo's won't work on subsequent upgrades...and I would think "downgrades". Also keep in mind that your Series3 came with a 250GB hard drive as opposed to your TiVo HD which has a 160GB hard drive. I don't think even an original Series3 image will be able to deal with that.

Sooo...here is what I would do if I were you: leave your Series3 alone. The 1TB drive inside already has some miles on it and what you're looking to do may or may not work. Pony up for a 1TB hard drive. Dell has them on sale for $55 but I see they are OOS at the moment, however Newegg has them for $59.99 through the 15th or you could go with a WD10EVDS from Amazon for $78 and as S3-2501 suggests probably skip dealing with the Intellipark and AAM adjustments. Use that brand spanking new drive to upgrade your TiVo HD the old fashioned way and you're back in business. Since you're an old hand at it, it'll be a breeze.

It's the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it until it is" approach (to paraphrase my good friend MPSAN).

BTW, I'd still see what TiVo can do for you with respect to exchanging your Series3...providing you have the original hard drive that is.

Let us know how things go and happy, um, upgrading, sort of.

BTW, I also have our Series1 (dual drive upgrade!) and a couple of Series 2's in our garage...just can't give them up!

Last edited by richsadams : 09-12-2010 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Add links
Old 09-12-2010, 02:52 AM   #6450
richsadams

Quote:
Change TV for you?

More than that. Changed your life. Mine, anyway.

My Dad was born in 1927, died in 2004, but not before I got him hooked on TiVo.

"It's the best thing ever." That's what he said.
You said it brother!