TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #6391
mgibpb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5
Question Need help upgrading a S3 to 1TB

I upgraded my S3 to 500GB 2+ years ago and recently decided to go 1TB. Bought a 1TB WD10EARS. I used Winmfs but started with the upgraded 500GB drive instead of the original 250GB drive because I want to preserve the existing video files. The process went smoothly but Tivo would not come up with the upgraded drive (stayed in the welcome powering up page). Tried it again without copying the data, no go.
I repeated the process using the original drive but same result. Can anyone help? Thanks.
mgibpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #6392
Zer0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
It's not possible to use IC to image an original drive directly.

I guess my take would be that it's really not worth it. Although the drive may have passed the SMART and WD diagnostics, there's really no guarantee that there aren't still problems, in other words, the results have been known to be wrong. The extended read/write/read diagnostic can be more precise however there's still a margin of error. Plus a power surge could have easily caused other physical problems to the drive that may not be readily apparent at the moment.

That said, a used 160GB HDD can be found on ebay for 10 or 15 bucks and a brand new drive would cost a little more. In any case, I just wouldn't waste any more time and donate it to the local recycle facility if it were me.

If you have an operational drive you can use winMFS to create a truncated backup and you can keep that on your computer or a thumb drive or whatever for safe keeping until the time comes that you need it again.
Thanks for responding Rich. I found a way around it by using IC on a borrowed 1TB drive and then using WinMFS to create a backup and restore that backup onto the original WD1600AVBS. It was good to see WinMFS creating partition sizes according to the different drive size. The TiVo HD did reboot and then display a GSOD as it said it was fixing the drive for about 10 minutes. Afterward, the unit has booted normally and everything seems to be working. I picked up a WD10EVDS that I'll use to permanently upgrade it to 1TB while I'm at it, but it's good to have the original WD1600AVBS drive working with the TiVo OS back on it as a backup. Overall, not too bad for having a corrupt drive and restoring it from scratch thanks to IC and WinMFS.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:16 AM   #6393
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgibpb View Post
I upgraded my S3 to 500GB 2+ years ago and recently decided to go 1TB. Bought a 1TB WD10EARS. I used Winmfs but started with the upgraded 500GB drive instead of the original 250GB drive because I want to preserve the existing video files. The process went smoothly but Tivo would not come up with the upgraded drive (stayed in the welcome powering up page). Tried it again without copying the data, no go.
I repeated the process using the original drive but same result. Can anyone help? Thanks.
If you followed all of the steps exactly and still couldn't get things going even with the original TiVo drive, it sounds to me like your new drive is probably the problem.

IIRC there have been a few posts noting that their WD10EARS drive would not boot up until the Intelipark feature was disabled or the timeout was extended (using wdidle3.exe). Did you do that yet? If not all of the instructions are in the FAQ.

It's also possible that you have a bad drive, but if it worked normally with winMFS it sounds like it's probably okay.

Last edited by richsadams : 09-04-2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #6394
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Thanks for responding Rich. I found a way around it by using IC on a borrowed 1TB drive and then using WinMFS to <snip>.
Glad to hear that you were able to sort things out. Enjoy your "new" TiVo!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #6395
testshot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
Hi, newbie here - just got an HDTV a few weeks back and decided to go the external expander route for my TiVo. Ordered the newer WDBABT0010HBK Western Digital Expander drive as in a brain fart thought that I had a Series3. Alas, I have a TiVo HD with the stock drive (purch in June 2009 with lifetime).

Before I send this back to Amazon to get the older external drive, has anyone had experience getting this newer drive to work with a TiVo HD? Yes, I do have a replacement eSata cord to go with the new drive.
testshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #6396
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by testshot View Post
Hi, newbie here - just got an HDTV a few weeks back and decided to go the external expander route for my TiVo. Ordered the newer WDBABT0010HBK Western Digital Expander drive as in a brain fart thought that I had a Series3. Alas, I have a TiVo HD with the stock drive (purch in June 2009 with lifetime).

Before I send this back to Amazon to get the older external drive, has anyone had experience getting this newer drive to work with a TiVo HD? Yes, I do have a replacement eSata cord to go with the new drive.
Welcome to the forum! That drive will work fine with your TiVo HD. You can read various posts on Amazon and other sites saying as much and how much the owners like it. (There is one erroneous early post on Amazon saying that it didn't work but it's almost certain the OP had a faulty cable or bad drive).

Enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #6397
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive
 
ThreeSoFar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by testshot View Post
Hi, newbie here - just got an HDTV a few weeks back and decided to go the external expander route for my TiVo. Ordered the newer WDBABT0010HBK Western Digital Expander drive as in a brain fart thought that I had a Series3. Alas, I have a TiVo HD with the stock drive (purch in June 2009 with lifetime).

Before I send this back to Amazon to get the older external drive, has anyone had experience getting this newer drive to work with a TiVo HD? Yes, I do have a replacement eSata cord to go with the new drive.
It'll work fine as far as external drives go....but (by design) it's a second point of failure and extra heat/power being generated/used. And once it or the internal drive fails, you'll lose ALL shows on your TiVo.

Consider instead upgrading the internal drive to a larger one. Very easy to do. Probably cheaper, too.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #6398
mgibpb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
If you followed all of the steps exactly and still couldn't get things going even with the original TiVo drive, it sounds to me like your new drive is probably the problem.

IIRC there have been a few posts noting that their WD10EARS drive would not boot up until the Intelipark feature was disabled or the timeout was extended (using wdidle3.exe). Did you do that yet? If not all of the instructions are in the FAQ.

It's also possible that you have a bad drive, but if it worked normally with winMFS it sounds like it's probably okay.
Disabling the Intelipark did the trick. Thanks a lot.
mgibpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #6399
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgibpb View Post
Disabling the Intelipark did the trick. Thanks a lot.
Very cool! Thanks for posting your results and enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #6400
bvm42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27
Successful 2TB upgrade

Here's another data point for you. I upgraded my HD XL's 1TB disk to the 2TB WD20EVDS. I didn't do anything about Intellipark, and it seems to soft reboot okay. Drive manufacture date: 4 Aug 2010. Thanks to all the experts here for the instructions.

Question, though: since my old drive had bad sectors, and got hung up doing mfscopy, I ended up doing the "Preserves Settings Only" upgrade. I was surprised to find my new disk has my old Now Playing list. Is this expected? I didn't see mention of it in the instructions. Of course, none of the recordings is there. Is there a simple way to delete all these bogus directory entries, or do I have to do it in the obvious, tedious way of show by show?

Meanwhile, I did manage to back up a significant portion of the old drive's shows to my PC, and now I want to move them back to the new drive. I can certainly pull them one by one from the Tivo desktop, which is of course pretty tedious. Are there better options? I tried running pyTivo, but I haven't managed to get its Push to work.
bvm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #6401
CraigK
(unspecified)
 
CraigK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North of Seattle
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvm42 View Post
Question, though: since my old drive had bad sectors, and got hung up doing mfscopy, I ended up doing the "Preserves Settings Only" upgrade. I was surprised to find my new disk has my old Now Playing list. Is this expected? I didn't see mention of it in the instructions. Of course, none of the recordings is there. Is there a simple way to delete all these bogus directory entries, or do I have to do it in the obvious, tedious way of show by show?
I think the only way is the tedious show by show (but you can do this from the NP list using the Clear key). If you have several episodes of the same show you could try viewing them as folders (groups) and then delete the folders one at a time. That would speed things up.

Also besides phantom shows in the Now Playing list you may have some in the Recently Deleted folder, too.
__________________
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em!"

Last edited by CraigK : 09-05-2010 at 12:14 AM.
CraigK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #6402
bvm42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
If you have several episodes of the same show you could try viewing them as folders (groups) and then delete the folders one at a time.
Ah, that's not nearly as tedious as I feared. I hadn't known you could delete a folder; you prompted me to discover the "Clear" shortcut. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the Recently Deleted folder, which means that unless I tediously delete every show inside it (which requires confirmation, since it's permanent), I'll have a deceptive number of recently deleted shows for some while.

By the way, I did manage to get pyTivo's push to work. My problem, I believe, was my password contained a "#", which resulted in the server misparsing the init file.
bvm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:35 AM   #6403
CraigK
(unspecified)
 
CraigK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North of Seattle
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvm42 View Post
Ah, that's not nearly as tedious as I feared. I hadn't known you could delete a folder; you prompted me to discover the "Clear" shortcut. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the Recently Deleted folder, which means that unless I tediously delete every show inside it (which requires confirmation, since it's permanent), I'll have a deceptive number of recently deleted shows for some while.
Yes, ideally it's best to get rid of the phantom shows in both lists before you start transferring or recording new shows so you know what's real.

You'll find you use that Clear key shortcut quite often now.
__________________
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em!"
CraigK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #6404
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvm42 View Post
Here's another data point for you. I upgraded my HD XL's 1TB disk to the 2TB WD20EVDS. I didn't do anything about Intellipark, and it seems to soft reboot okay. Drive manufacture date: 4 Aug 2010. Thanks to all the experts here for the instructions.
Thanks very much for that. It appears that WD GP drives manufactured after August 1 may not need the Intellipark feature disabled. As more reports come in that should get solidified.

Enjoy!

Last edited by richsadams : 09-05-2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #6405
testshot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Welcome to the forum! That drive will work fine with your TiVo HD. You can read various posts on Amazon and other sites saying as much and how much the owners like it. (There is one erroneous early post on Amazon saying that it didn't work but it's almost certain the OP had a faulty cable or bad drive).

Enjoy!
Thanks for the guidance - went with it and aside from a painstaking point to hunt down a bad coax connection somewhere up the line from my TiVo which came undone while moving things around behind the wall unit, the external install went fine.

@ThreeSoFar - Thanks for the guidance as well - agree that replacement of the internal drive would be cheaper and provide less fail points, but wasn't interested in cracking open the unit at the present time.
testshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #6406
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by testshot View Post
Thanks for the guidance - went with it and aside from a painstaking point to hunt down a bad coax connection somewhere up the line from my TiVo which came undone while moving things around behind the wall unit, the external install went fine.
Sounds good and enjoy all of that new "real estate"!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #6407
Zer0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Wd10evds

Also an update on my upgrade:

Installed the WD10EVDS and did not disable Intellipark so with the IC version of 9.2a with a soft reboot it hangs at the welcome screen. After it updated to the latest 11.0h no soft reboot issue and it functions perfectly. The drive has a manufactured date of July 2010.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #6408
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Also an update on my upgrade:

Installed the WD10EVDS and did not disable Intellipark so with the IC version of 9.2a with a soft reboot it hangs at the welcome screen. After it updated to the latest 11.0h no soft reboot issue and it functions perfectly. The drive has a manufactured date of July 2010.
Excellent, thanks for that!

It would seem that combination of 11.0h and more recently manufactured WD drives may have taken care of the Intellipark soft reboot issue.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #6409
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed
 
Robbdoe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 525
Hi All,
I'm having an issue with my S3 rebooting. It is an original S3 that I got from Woot in February. It is a refurb. Here is what I have done so far. I ran KS57 which only took about 30 minutes or so. I ran KS54 SMART test and the drive failed the extended test last night. I then ran the KS54 overnight test and the drive passed this morning. I re-ran the SMART test and the drive passed everything this time.

Some of the details:
unmodified.
I use a Tivo wireless G adapter.
The unit uses 2 CC's, 1-single and 1-multi

The unit started to get sluggish this weekend. The menus started populating slowly. Sunday night my wife noticed it reboot in the middle of the night. Monday it rebooted multiple times and was sluggish. I'm considering running KS57 and 58 today. I called Tivo CS last night and they are offering a $49 exchange to another refurb S3 plus shipping 1 way. I never backed the image up as I did not want to break the box and kill the warranty.

Do you think I can use this image if I pull it or is the image toast? If I can't use the image then the CC's will need to be re-paired with Brighthouse rolling on over. Re-pairing the CC's leads me to another option. I can get a $99 Hd from Block Buster which will be brand new. If I go that route I can then save 1 CC fee too.

Please give me any thoughts as to what you would do. Please tell me what I'm missing. Any replacement drive suggestions would be great. If I go that route I will get a 1TB to increase space. Dvr_Dude has a pretty good price for a 1TB imaged already. The other 2 guys have options too.

Help. Thanks in advance and I'm sorry this is so long winded.

Robb
__________________
THD 1TB Upgrade/Tivo Wireless G USB Adapter
Tivo S2/Lifetime/Tivo Wireless G USB Adapter
(2) Toshiba SD-H400/Tivo Basic/Linksys WUSB11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #6410
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
Hi All,
I'm having an issue with my S3 rebooting. <snip>
Hi Rob. Sorry to hear about the frustrations with your Series3. Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes. I would take TiVo up on their offer to exchange the unit. I'd run the new one for a good month or so to be sure it was working properly. Then I'd go about upgrading the hard drive.

The reason I'd take this approach is to be sure whatever is causing your issues is resolved with a replacement. It's almost certainly a hard drive issue, but it's remotely possible it's something else and why take the risk of having more trouble if it is? I know you'll probably incur a truck roll to re-pair the cable cards, but this way you'll know everything is solid. (It's also possible that your cableco might let you call in the cable card info - Host ID, SN, etc. - so you might be able to avoid any additional charges.)

FWIW if KS57 took more than a few minutes it means that there were data corruption issues it tried to resolve. There are no guarantees that it did and based on your post, it doesn't sound like it was able to. KS58 may or may not help as well, but it's worth a try. SMART diagnostics (KS54) are not always reliable either.

If your TiVo starts and runs semi-normally the boot partition isn't a problem and you should be able to use the OEM drive to image a new one if you decide to go ahead and upgrade the internal hard drive now.

If you do go the DIY route (reasonably easy), with respect to hard drives, most folks are now using Western Digital's WD10EARS or WD10EVDS or WD10EVCS. The "EV" series is A/V dedicated and usually more expensive than the "EARS" series. Although the "EARS" is the same drive with respect to TiVo the Auto Acoustic Management (AAM) would probably need to be adjusted to 128 to make it quieter (also fairly easy). It's also possible that you would have to adjust the Intellipark feature to prevent the soft reboot issue these drives have...although more recent reports indicate that it may not be necessary for more recently manufactured WD drives. Adjusting the Intellipark feature is a tiny bit more complicated and requires a computer with an available SATA port (can't be done via USB/SATA adapter).

Another alternative drive is the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C HD31000 IDK/7K. Again, although these drives are very quiet out of the box, the AAM setting would probably need to be set to 128 to make it even quieter. (No Intellipark adjustments.)

Or you could go with a pre-imaged replacement drive from DVRDude, Weaknees, DVRUpgrade, etc.

If you're going to get a replacement TiVo I would wait on ordering a new hard drive until you're ready to go to see if anything changes in the meantime. (If you go with a WD GP drive it would also help to ensure you're getting one manufactured more recently.)

Hope that helps and all of the upgrade info you need can be found in the first post:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #6411
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed
 
Robbdoe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 525
Rich,
Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. I kinda agree with you on the Tivo exchange or possibly switching it to an HD from Block Buster. I'm leaning with the HD cause it is "new" and not another refurb. My wife also likes the new idea since this is messing with her TV time .

Tivo exchange will cost $49 plus say $20 shipping equals $69 give or take.
BB HD costs $99 plus $6 tax equals $105.
So for roughly $35 we go from refurb to new and 2 CC's to 1.

I'm still seeing issues today. Mostly non responsive on live TV. I pulled out the CC's just to check that out.

If I go the HD route, I can use the M card I have for both tuners right?

I'm still on the fence with regard to how stable the image is on this thing.

Sorry I'm all over the place. Thanks for the help.
Robb
__________________
THD 1TB Upgrade/Tivo Wireless G USB Adapter
Tivo S2/Lifetime/Tivo Wireless G USB Adapter
(2) Toshiba SD-H400/Tivo Basic/Linksys WUSB11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #6412
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
I kinda agree with you on the Tivo exchange or possibly switching it to an HD from Block Buster.
That sounds like a more than reasonable way to go.

Yes, the TiVo HD would only need the one "M" (multi-stream) cable card.

If you grab one of the TiVo HD's you'd probably want to upgrade the internal hard drive eventually as they are pretty small (160GB) as compared to the Series3's 250GB. $99 is a good deal for the TiVo HD though and for about $50 you can get a 1TB drive on sale these days.

BTW, there's really no reason that you couldn't keep the Series3, upgrade it sometime and sell it on ebay and maybe even come out ahead. IIRC the S3's are still in a little more demand than the TiVo HD/HDXL's.

Transferring your service from your existing TiVo to a new one is very easy to do on line or you can call in as well.

Let us know what you end up doing!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #6413
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed
 
Robbdoe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Transferring your service from your existing TiVo to a new one is very easy to do on line or you can call in as well.
I have about 6 months left on an annual sub. If I buy a new HD I can transfer the TSN and still use the remaining balance?

CC's out made no diff.

Robb
__________________
THD 1TB Upgrade/Tivo Wireless G USB Adapter
Tivo S2/Lifetime/Tivo Wireless G USB Adapter
(2) Toshiba SD-H400/Tivo Basic/Linksys WUSB11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #6414
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
I have about 6 months left on an annual sub. If I buy a new HD I can transfer the TSN and still use the remaining balance?

CC's out made no diff.

Robb
I believe you can transfer your annual sub...if they give you any static I'd make sure they understand what you're up to...it's in their best interest.

The only other thing to try would be to disconnect everything (coax, broadband, etc.) except your TV and plug TiVo directly into a wall outlet (it's not a good idea to use a surge protector w/TiVo anyway...best to use a UPS) and see how it goes. Even if that makes things better it's still likely the hard drive.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #6415
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I believe you can transfer your annual sub...if they give you any static I'd make sure they understand what you're up to...it's in their best interest.
......
Yes you can do this -- should be no problem at all, just do it in your account on the TiVo website. When I bought my HD I switched from an S2DT and then immediately switched back for a few days while I returned the HD to Amazon for exchange. You may have to wait an hour or so for the change to take effect.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #6416
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed
 
Robbdoe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Yes you can do this -- should be no problem at all, just do it in your account on the TiVo website. When I bought my HD I switched from an S2DT and then immediately switched back for a few days while I returned the HD to Amazon for exchange. You may have to wait an hour or so for the change to take effect.
I spoke with a CS tonight and he confirmed what you both said. I can use the balance of my annual contract on a replacement weather I get it from them or Block Buster.

I went with the Tivo refurb exchange. The CS threw in free shipping both ways for my trouble.

Rich, your comment on hard drive size of the HD vs the S3 sealed the deal. Once I get it all set up and confirm it is working correctly I will pull the drive and back up the image this time.

Thanks for all the help guy's. I appreciate everything.

Robb
__________________
THD 1TB Upgrade/Tivo Wireless G USB Adapter
Tivo S2/Lifetime/Tivo Wireless G USB Adapter
(2) Toshiba SD-H400/Tivo Basic/Linksys WUSB11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #6417
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
I spoke with a CS tonight and he confirmed what you both said. I can use the balance of my annual contract on a replacement weather I get it from them or Block Buster.

I went with the Tivo refurb exchange. The CS threw in free shipping both ways for my trouble.

Rich, your comment on hard drive size of the HD vs the S3 sealed the deal. Once I get it all set up and confirm it is working correctly I will pull the drive and back up the image this time.

Thanks for all the help guy's. I appreciate everything.

Robb
Sounds good!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #6418
mphtrilogy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 49
Rich,

Question:
I have two Tivo HD's.

Is it possible to take out the Hard Drive from one Tivo HD and add it to the other? Is there anything special that needs to be formatted or can it be installed cold?
mphtrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #6419
DinoBambino
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
...
If you do go the DIY route (reasonably easy), with respect to hard drives, most folks are now using Western Digital's WD10EARS or WD10EVDS or WD10EVCS. The "EV" series is A/V dedicated and usually more expensive than the "EARS" series. Although the "EARS" is the same drive with respect to TiVo the Auto Acoustic Management (AAM) would probably need to be adjusted to 128 to make it quieter (also fairly easy). It's also possible that you would have to adjust the Intellipark feature to prevent the soft reboot issue these drives have...although more recent reports indicate that it may not be necessary for more recently manufactured WD drives. Adjusting the Intellipark feature is a tiny bit more complicated and requires a computer with an available SATA port (can't be done via USB/SATA adapter).
...
Rich,

Last night I upgraded a TivoHD with a WD10EARS drive. I decided to do the upgrade without running wdidle to disable the Intellipark feature since the drive was manufactured on 8/3/2010. After running a few tests (recording a show, connecting to Tivo, etc.), I did a soft reboot and was hung up on the "Welcome ..." screen. So, it seems like wdidle still needs to be run with the EARS drives.

Thanks,
Dean
DinoBambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #6420
bmgoodman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoBambino View Post
Rich,

Last night I upgraded a TivoHD with a WD10EARS drive. I decided to do the upgrade without running wdidle to disable the Intellipark feature since the drive was manufactured on 8/3/2010. After running a few tests (recording a show, connecting to Tivo, etc.), I did a soft reboot and was hung up on the "Welcome ..." screen. So, it seems like wdidle still needs to be run with the EARS drives.

Thanks,
Dean
Did your Tivo HD have the latest software installed already? Or was this a new unit? I ask because I thought the soft reboot problem also required the latest Tivo software.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |