TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #6361
GPT999

Thumbs up Tivo HD HDD upgrade completed!

I am happy to report that after a few system software upgrades ( my system had been offline for 1.5 months, talk about missing Tivo) with things not working so well, my system is now upgraded with the 1Tb WD internal drive and the liberated Free Agent Pro drive ( Barracuda 1Tb) now housed in external enclosure connected through the eSata port. 318 HD hours!

I guess I consider any HDD as a liability and if I have anything that precious to me, I store it in several locations. So I am not worried that my external drive has some age.

Thanks again for all the help!
GPT999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #6362
Phantom Gremlin

power supply roulette

I don't think it's a good idea to put two hard drives into a single TiVo box.

I have no direct knowledge of TiVo's power supply spec, but it looks like full custom, not something off the shelf. In general, consumer electronics is manufactured without any design margin. TiVo certainly didn't size the PSU expecting it to simultaneously power two drives. Yes I know the added load from a 2nd drive isn't very high, but IMO the TiVo PSU won't win any awards for "most over-engineered power supply". It won't even be nominated.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #6363
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to put two hard drives into a single TiVo box.

I have no direct knowledge of TiVo's power supply spec, but it looks like full custom, not something off the shelf. In general, consumer electronics is manufactured without any design margin. TiVo certainly didn't size the PSU expecting it to simultaneously power two drives. Yes I know the added load from a 2nd drive isn't very high, but IMO the TiVo PSU won't win any awards for "most over-engineered power supply". It won't even be nominated.
Not to mention the extra heat the 2nd drive adds to the TiVo!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #6364
rgiaquinta

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
If the OP still wants to upgrade he should indeed get a replacement drive from Weaknees or DIY per the first post on this thread and invest in a UPS/Power conditioner.
Murphy's Law in action: I took your (much appreciated) sage advice, and ordered a UPS on Thursday, expecting it to come in early this week. Would you believe that on the very same Thursday night, my 4th Tivo unit started to spontaneously reboot...! This unit is in pristine condition: never opened the case, is plugged directly into wall, etc. It lasted two months and now is being sent back for replacement. So... I will not plug in the replacement until I have received the UPS. I will then ride out my 90 warrantee with no modifications. If the 5th unit will stay alive that long, then I'll try a DIY upgrade. Will keep you all posted.
rgiaquinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #6365
DixonAgee

Question Series 3: Original WD Upgrade Dying?

I did an upgrade to 1TB on my Tivo Series 3 about 16 months ago using the now discontinued WD WD10EVCS drive. Unfortunately, the drive has begun to 'buzz' periodically as if working very hard at seeking. Before replacing the drive is there any chance that some tweak will quiet the drive? I did a search on the forum but didn't find a match for 'buzz'.

Otherwise I fear that the drive is on its way out. Vibrations seem to initiate the buzz - but it can also happen spontaneously. It is definitely getting more frequent.

In reading the info it appears that my 'best' bet might be to get a 'green' WD drive, disable Intellipark and move everything to the new drive.

Thanks for any advise or encouragement you might provide.

- Bruce Agee
Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 PM   #6366
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonAgee View Post
I did an upgrade to 1TB on my Tivo Series 3 about 16 months ago using the now discontinued WD WD10EVCS drive. Unfortunately, the drive has begun to 'buzz' periodically as if working very hard at seeking. Before replacing the drive is there any chance that some tweak will quiet the drive? I did a search on the forum but didn't find a match for 'buzz'.
- Bruce Agee
Any unusual noise from a hard drive is bad news, particularly if it's getting more frequent. I'd get the new drive and try copying everything over ASAP.

Your WD drive should have a three-year warranty so an RMA is in order, but I don't know that I'd wait for a replacement to arrive.

Best of luck and let us know how things go.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #6367
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonAgee View Post

Otherwise I fear that the drive is on its way out. Vibrations seem to initiate the buzz - but it can also happen spontaneously. It is definitely getting more frequent.

In reading the info it appears that my 'best' bet might be to get a 'green' WD drive, disable Intellipark and move everything to the new drive.

Thanks for any advise or encouragement you might provide.

- Bruce Agee
Have you tried running with the TiVo cover off? That way, when the "buzz" starts you can be sure it is the drive and not the fan. Also, it could be a loose carrier for the drive. When buzzing, if it is not the fan, try a little preasure on the HDD to see if it stops. The buzz may not be the drive!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #6368
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiaquinta View Post
Murphy's Law in action: I took your (much appreciated) sage advice, and ordered a UPS on Thursday, expecting it to come in early this week. Would you believe that on the very same Thursday night, my 4th Tivo unit started to spontaneously reboot...! This unit is in pristine condition: never opened the case, is plugged directly into wall, etc. It lasted two months and now is being sent back for replacement. So... I will not plug in the replacement until I have received the UPS. I will then ride out my 90 warrantee with no modifications. If the 5th unit will stay alive that long, then I'll try a DIY upgrade. Will keep you all posted.
Ugh! Well, I think you have a good plan going forward. Hopefully #5 will be the charm!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #6369
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Have you tried running with the TiVo cover off? That way, when the "buzz" starts you can be sure it is the drive and not the fan. Also, it could be a loose carrier for the drive. When buzzing, if it is not the fan, try a little preasure on the HDD to see if it stops. The buzz may not be the drive!
Good ideas...but if it is the drive, don't wait to replace it!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:44 AM   #6370
cr33p

Anyone used and of the Samsung Spinpoint drives?
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:56 AM   #6371
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Anyone used and of the Samsung Spinpoint drives?
I tried a Sammy 1TB Spinpoint in our TiVo HD a while back and could not get it to boot up (Hanging at the welcome screen).

There have also been other reports of problems for those that did get them to work, although IIRC there are a few folks that had success.

In any case, they aren't on the recommended list for a reason and probably s/b avoided.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:54 AM   #6372
cr33p

Tks
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:40 AM   #6373
amelnik

good info here.
amelnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #6374
kettledrum

I'm looking at buying an HD and upgrading it. However, my computer is so old that it does not use SATA drives. Can anyone point me to any good enclosures to use for doing the upgrade on my computer?

I also understand that it will need to be an eSATA enclosure if I get a WD drive and need to disable intellipark? Or is that no longer the case? There was a post onthe previous page talking about how that may not be necessary any longer?
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #6375
pilotbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
I'm looking at buying an HD and upgrading it. However, my computer is so old that it does not use SATA drives. Can anyone point me to any good enclosures to use for doing the upgrade on my computer?
I recently did this... I bought and used a USB to Sata adapter. Worked great.

Here's the one I bought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156014

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #6376
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I recently did this... I bought and used a USB to Sata adapter. Worked great.

Here's the one I bought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156014

BOb
That or a USB/SATA dock will work fine (I prefer the dock as it's very easy to connect and use later) Here's an example...

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Sa.../dp/B0012Z3MKW

However as the OP mentioned, you cannot disable or extend the timeout on WD's Intellipark drives via a USB connection as it has to be a direct SATA connection. Apparently some, but not all of the newest WD GP drives no longer require Intellipark to be disabled to avoid the soft reboot issue. It's a bit of a crap shoot right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
As mentioned earlier, have a close look at your motherboard. Even though they may be using an EIDE hard drive, many MB's had SATA connectors many years ago. I have one Intel MB that's over 10 years old that has four SATA ports on it.

An alternative (if you can't get access to a computer with a SATA connection) would be to use a the Hitachi Drive many folks have had success with...

Deskstar 7K1000.C HD31000 IDK/7K

Note that it needs to be that exact model (with the "C" suffix) as similar model's acoustics are unacceptable.

Happy upgrading!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #6377
aaronwt
HD Addict

I thought all the hitachi drives could be set for low acoustics? Even my old 5 platter 1Tb hitachis are quiet with the AM setting at 128.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #6378
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I thought all the hitachi drives could be set for low acoustics? Even my old 5 platter 1Tb hitachis are quiet with the AM setting at 128.
I believe that's correct, but IIRC a number of reports indicated that even with the AAM at 128 some of them were still unacceptable (which flies in the face of logic but there it is), plus ran quite hot too. The Deskstar 7K1000.C HD31000 IDK/7K is widely available and usually for a pretty reasonable price on sale in any case. Better safe than sorry and all.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #6379
delgadobb

Quote:
That or a USB/SATA dock will work fine (I prefer the dock as it's very easy to connect and use later) Here's an example...

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Sa.../dp/B0012Z3MKW
An alternative (if you can't get access to a computer with a SATA connection) would be to use a the Hitachi Drive many folks have had success with...

Deskstar 7K1000.C HD31000 IDK/7K
+1 on the USB/SATA dock.

I picked up a couple of these as part of combo(s) ordered from NewEgg & couldn't be happier. I've done a number of upgrades for my own Tivo HDs & for a bunch of friends & it's SOOO much easier when you don't have to tear apart a computer. No shutting down, opening case, mounting new drives, possibly resetting boot sequence, yadda yadda. Pop in the drive, run WinMFS & you're good to go.

Gotta agree with Rich on the Hitachi as well. I've configured a couple of these (one for myself & one for a friend) & they're working just fine. Generally, they're readily available for a good price.

So, I guess I'm saying Rich is a smart guy. Somehow, I don't think he'll mind me saying that ...
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
Toshiba SDH-400 330 Hr (Basic Life)
Toshiba RS-TX20 300 Hr (Basic Life)
delgadobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #6380
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
So, I guess I'm saying Rich is a smart guy. Somehow, I don't think he'll mind me saying that ...
Oh criminy...now what do I owe you!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:14 AM   #6381
delgadobb

Quote:
Oh criminy...now what do I owe you!
Nothing.

You've been a huge help to a lot of people on this forum (myself included) & always keep things positive. That's payment enough!

Give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back. Thanks, Rich.
Toshiba SDH-400 330 Hr (Basic Life)
Toshiba RS-TX20 300 Hr (Basic Life)
delgadobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:43 AM   #6382
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Nothing.

You've been a huge help to a lot of people on this forum (myself included) & always keep things positive. That's payment enough!

Give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back. Thanks, Rich.
Well, I appreciate the too kind words. It's just a labor of love...giving back to the place that's home to many, many folks that have helped me over the years. And it's generally a nice place to hang out.

How 'bout if I just say ah shucks and kick my instep a little?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #6383
Zer0

Image OEM TiVo HD drive?

Hey guys quick question:

Is it possible to re-image the original TiVo HD (160GB) drive?

Reason I ask is because my original drive took a hit from a power surge and after taking it out of the TiVo and looking up its SMART stats, it said it had 31 pending bad sectors and 14 sectors failed to reallocate the data. This resulted in the corruption of the TiVo OS. I didn't want to completely give up on the original drive so I ran the WD advanced diagnostics on it and it saw corrupted sectors, attempted to repair, but failed. With a corrupted TiVo OS at this point my only option was to pickup InstantCake to repair that. As for the drive, I decided I'd try using the WD tool to write 0s on it and clear it off to see if I might repair it myself. Lucky for me, after clearing off the drive and re-testing it, it passed WD's advanced tests! I also checked its SMART stats and it no longer had 31 pending bad sectors and still 0 actual bad sectors (the 14 sectors failed data reallocation event was still left in the drive's SMART history though but that's not an issue after it being completely wiped). And so here I am with a clean working original drive but seem to be unable to put the TiVo OS back onto it as InstantCake told me that it was too small...any way around that?
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #6384
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Hey guys quick question:

Is it possible to re-image the original TiVo HD (160GB) drive? <snip>
It's not possible to use IC to image an original drive directly. Here's how a TCF member got around it in a way...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...89#post8114689

I guess my take would be that it's really not worth it. Although the drive may have passed the SMART and WD diagnostics, there's really no guarantee that there aren't still problems, in other words, the results have been known to be wrong. The extended read/write/read diagnostic can be more precise however there's still a margin of error. Plus a power surge could have easily caused other physical problems to the drive that may not be readily apparent at the moment.

That said, a used 160GB HDD can be found on ebay for 10 or 15 bucks and a brand new drive would cost a little more. In any case, I just wouldn't waste any more time and donate it to the local recycle facility if it were me.

If you have an operational drive you can use winMFS to create a truncated backup and you can keep that on your computer or a thumb drive or whatever for safe keeping until the time comes that you need it again.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #6385
miller890

WD15EVDS 1.5 TB Upgrades

If there is any question on WD15EVDS drives, I just wanted to report I have successfully replaced the OEM drives on two TiVo Series-3 and one TiVo-HD with Western Digital's 1.5TB DVR drive WD15EVDS with 3/yr warranty. Drives were dated Nov2009 and Feb2010 from Amazon (only pre-Nov2009 were reported as working causing them to be removed from the list of drives on page-1 here). I used the "wdidle3 /S300" fix for WD-Intellipark reboot issue. Then WinMFS v3.9f with Windows7/64-bit to do two truncated backup/restore upgrades and one WinMFS:mfscopy to save the recordings. I used both direct SATA and USB-to-SATA methods. I followed each with an WinMFS:mfsadd and WinMFS:mfsupersize to regain space. All three drives resulted in 237hrs of H-D space; I expected TiVo-HD would be less. The one problem I had was with the first Series-3 had a failing drive, it errored out on the WinMFS:recovery, and I attempted a dd-rescue that didn't work. To recover I used Instant Cake to a spare 1TB drive because of the 1TB limitation, then a WinMFS backup and recovery to the new 1.5TB; here I lost the CableCard pairings. They all seem to run as quiet or quieter than the old-OEM drives. The goal was to fix the one failed drive, eliminate all external drives, avoid using a modified kernel, and go with the largest internal drive with some waste.
Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #6386
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller890 View Post
If there is any question on WD15EVDS drives, I just wanted to report I have successfully replaced the OEM drives on two TiVo Series-3 and one TiVo-HD with Western Digital's 1.5TB DVR drive WD15EVDS with 3/yr warranty. Drives were dated Nov2009 and Feb2010 from Amazon (only pre-Nov2009 were reported as working causing them to be removed from the list of drives on page-1 here). I used the "wdidle3 /S300" fix then WinMFS v3.9f with Windows7/64-bit to do two truncated backup/restore upgrades and one WinMFS:mfscopy to save the recordings. I used both direct SATA and USB-to-SATA methods. I followed each with an WinMFS:mfsadd and WinMFS:mfsupersize to regain space. All three drives resulted in 237hrs of H-D space; I expected TiVo-HD would be less. The one problem I had was with the first Series-3 had a failing drive, it errored out on the WinMFS:recovery, and I attempted a dd-rescue that didn't work. To recover I used Instant Cake to a spare 1TB drive because of the 1TB limitation, then a WinMFS backup and recovery to the new 1.5TB; here I lost the CableCard pairings. They all seem to run as quiet or quieter than the old-OEM drives. The goal was to fix the one failed drive, eliminate all external drives, avoid using a modified kernel, and go with the largest internal drive with some waste.
Wow! Nice brain dump! Thanks for all of the valuable info...it's very worthwhile.

FWIW if it ever happens again, you can use the image from one Series3 to image a new drive in another one. You'd get an initial error but if you run Clear and Delete Everything it works like a charm.

Thanks again...nice work!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #6387
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller890 View Post
If there is any question on WD15EVDS drives, I just wanted to report I have successfully replaced the OEM drives on two TiVo Series-3 and one TiVo-HD with Western Digital's 1.5TB DVR drive WD15EVDS with 3/yr warranty. Drives were dated Nov2009 and Feb2010 from Amazon (only pre-Nov2009 were reported as working causing them to be removed from the list of drives on page-1 here). I used the "wdidle3 /S300" fix for WD-Intellipark reboot issue. Then WinMFS v3.9f with Windows7/64-bit to do two truncated backup/restore upgrades and one WinMFS:mfscopy to save the recordings. I used both direct SATA and USB-to-SATA methods. I followed each with an WinMFS:mfsadd and WinMFS:mfsupersize to regain space. All three drives resulted in 237hrs of H-D space; I expected TiVo-HD would be less. The one problem I had was with the first Series-3 had a failing drive, it errored out on the WinMFS:recovery, and I attempted a dd-rescue that didn't work. To recover I used Instant Cake to a spare 1TB drive because of the 1TB limitation, then a WinMFS backup and recovery to the new 1.5TB; here I lost the CableCard pairings. They all seem to run as quiet or quieter than the old-OEM drives. The goal was to fix the one failed drive, eliminate all external drives, avoid using a modified kernel, and go with the largest internal drive with some waste.
Wow. Nice WOT. Ever heard of a paragraph?
Old 09-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #6388
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Wow! Nice brain dump! Thanks for all of the valuable info...it's very worthwhile.

FWIW if it ever happens again, you can use the image from one Series3 to image a new drive in another one. You'd get an initial error but if you run Clear and Delete Everything it works like a charm.

Thanks again...nice work!
I have two series 3's here. If my second one died, I could use the disk image from the first one (which I have) to format the second one? Wouldn't it have identical cable card pairing information as the original or would all of that be fixed with the clear and delete since the cable cards in the second one would be different?

The reason I ask is that I've been meaning to pull the drive out of "TiVo 2" and make disc image from it just in case it ever dies. I already have the disc image for "TiVo 1" from when I upgraded the drive. Am I understanding correctly that there is no need for me to make a disc image for my second Tivo after all? I can just use the image from TiVo 1 that I already have?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #6389
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I have two series 3's here. If my second one died, I could use the disk image from the first one (which I have) to format the second one? Wouldn't it have identical cable card pairing information as the original or would all of that be fixed with the clear and delete since the cable cards in the second one would be different?

The reason I ask is that I've been meaning to pull the drive out of "TiVo 2" and make disc image from it just in case it ever dies. I already have the disc image for "TiVo 1" from when I upgraded the drive. Am I understanding correctly that there is no need for me to make a disc image for my second Tivo after all? I can just use the image from TiVo 1 that I already have?
Hi Barey. The best thing to do of course would be to use the original image...that way all of the info, cable card pairing, etc. is saved. But you can use a like-for-like image. C&DE will wipe all of the saved info so you'd need to treat the recipient like a new TiVo, but it works. It's only an "emergency" measure though...useful when an original hard drive of the same model is suddenly pushing up daisies and refuses to work any longer.

So your plan is still a solid one, keep a truncated backup of each specific TiVo.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #6390
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Hi Barey. The best thing to do of course would be to use the original image...that way all of the info, cable card pairing, etc. is saved. But you can use a like-for-like image. C&DE will wipe all of the saved info so you'd need to treat the recipient like a new TiVo, but it works. It's only an "emergency" measure though...useful when an original hard drive of the same model is suddenly pushing up daisies and refuses to work any longer.

So your plan is still a solid one, keep a truncated backup of each specific TiVo.
Cool. Thanks Rich. I really need to get on that and do it, but it's good to know there's an alternative if I procrastinate too long.