Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2010, 02:49 AM   #6271
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Another success story!

I've upgraded a s1 and s2 DirecTiVo in the past and have been threatening to upgrade my s3 HD for a while. Amazon's $55 for the WD10EARS finally gave me the shove I needed and I put it in this morning. Smoothest upgrade yet! I ran the wdidle and it runs through a soft boot just fine.

Thanks!
Congrats and enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:10 AM   #6272
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
That's really interesting. I'd also like to hear how things progress with your Series3 "natural" 2TB upgrade.

BTW, is this the drive you're using...

http://bit.ly/aLsnf1

TIA!
So is that the famous hard drive that uses tape?
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:13 AM   #6273
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So is that the famous hard drive that uses tape?
No...it's an "LP" drive...vinyl all the way!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #6274
VSG

Quote:
That's really interesting. I'd also like to hear how things progress with your Series3 "natural" 2TB upgrade.

BTW, is this the drive you're using...

TIA!

I bought the seagate st320005n4a1as-rk, sorry I'm not able to post a link yet....

and it's VERY quiet, much to my surprise! I see that people are jumping all over Seagate with the exception of their AV drives, but if temps stay down, it's hard to argue with their 5 year warranty.

I would prefer the WD20EVDS, but I haven't found it in stock too many places... ZIPZOOMFLY is backordered @129.... I just happened to be in the B&M Fry's and the Seagate was on sale.
VSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #6275
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

2TB "Broflovski" / Hybrid TiVo HD Image for >1TB

I have been patient, Mr. Broflovski. Much more so, after you smacked me upside the head for "thread crapping", and told me to be patient. Since you will no longer accept PM requests for the image, could you point me in the direction of some image holders who you think won't be bothered by me PMing them with a request for it? I had one offer it up, who would only provide it to me if I could provide them with private login credentials for a private FTP server. I don't run a FTP server, nor do I know of one that is private, that I could somehow give credentials for and keep it private.

I want to respect your wishes with regards to the image being kept private, among those who have it and those who they trust to give it to. It's my understanding that it's in several split files, but they are still too large to email. I have "Trillian", an excellent & free IM/IRC/ICQ program that has private file transfer as an option, but requires the other person to be running it as well (which is a bit much to expect -somebody installing a program that they don't have or necessarily trust just to do this one-off transfer).

So, Mr Broflovski, how did you share it in the first place? If I knew that, maybe I could know how to get it shared in my direction? Do I need to find some ftp software and take a crash course in being an ftp server admin? I think my ISP may actually block me from even doing so, but I'm not sure.

Again, once I have a working/validated copy in my possession, all my posts and threads regarding it will be deleted.

And help/advice you give me will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Broflovski View Post
I have created an image that is usable with WinMFS and is not subject to these limitations, and will work with hard drives up to 2.0TB in size. Any interested parties with a TivoHD and hard drive > 1TB are welcome to PM me.

***EDIT : 5/16***

I will no longer be offering this image via PM.

Several community members have a copy at this point, if you are in need of a copy, please make a public request and I'm sure someone will help (please don't threadcrap all over this thread though, there are image begging threads here).

tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #6276
GPT999

Upgrading TIVO HD

So, I went through the steps for upgrading both an internal ( WD specified as a good choice here) and I tried to marry it with an external eSata 1 Tb Seagate Free Agent Pro that I originally had as a expansion drive for my Direct TV DVR. After going through the steps ( using mfs utility just using the mfsadd to add the external hdd, since I was upgrading from the org TIVO drive), the TIVO unit gets stuck at the "Powering up" Sunrise screen. First time up, the external HDD did not seem to power on ( I know it won't show power until computer or device connected to it powers up). But then it started to show power after a a few miuntes. I reset power to both units ( TIVO and external HDD) but still can't get by "powering Up".

Any ideas? Is the Seagate External incompatible b/c of internals or b/c it was used as the Direct TV system? I would think the TIVO would reformat the drive space or do I need to do something else like some sort of Linux format of the drive?

Thanks for any advice at this point. I will pop the drives back out later this week and hopefully will have some good choices to follow from all of you knowledgeable people.
GPT999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #6277
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
If you want to speed things up, just transfer some shows from another TiVo, or from TiVo Desktop. I'd go crazy after too long just waiting for SPs and other recordings to fill it up.
Agreed...we have no patience around here.

I'd turn TiVo Suggestions on...that should fill it up very quickly.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #6278
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPT999 View Post
So, I went through the steps for upgrading both an internal ( WD specified as a good choice here) and I tried to marry it with an external eSata 1 Tb Seagate Free Agent Pro that I originally had as a expansion drive for my Direct TV DVR. After going through the steps ( using mfs utility just using the mfsadd to add the external hdd, since I was upgrading from the org TIVO drive), the TIVO unit gets stuck at the "Powering up" Sunrise screen. First time up, the external HDD did not seem to power on ( I know it won't show power until computer or device connected to it powers up). But then it started to show power after a a few miuntes. I reset power to both units ( TIVO and external HDD) but still can't get by "powering Up".

Any ideas? Is the Seagate External incompatible b/c of internals or b/c it was used as the Direct TV system? I would think the TIVO would reformat the drive space or do I need to do something else like some sort of Linux format of the drive?

Thanks for any advice at this point. I will pop the drives back out later this week and hopefully will have some good choices to follow from all of you knowledgeable people.
Welcome to the Forum. Seagate FAP's have been problematic with TiVo's since the original KS62 hack a few years ago (yikes, has it been that long?!). They either didn't work at all or ended up failing very quickly. No one cause was ever determined (overheating was one problem) but they were specifically not recommended as expansion drives and that still stands. They just don't play nice with TiVo.

When TiVo hangs on the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen it means that the motherboard cannot communicate with the hard drive. In other words TiVo has to be able to communicate with both the internal and external hard drives immediately on powering up. Based on your post it doesn't sound like the FAP is fully spinning when you boot TiVo?

In any case, I'd avoid using the FAP. There were a few people that successfully used one version or another for a time but the overwhelming majority failed.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #6279
VSG

Thumbs up 2tb green drives wd20ears on amazon $91!

I caught this news on techbargains.com ...Just ordered one...something to compare to the Seagate...I wouldn't bother with externals like the freeagent...just another failure point. If I can't get my 2tb to work correctly, I Will reuse my 2 x 1tb (1 in a rosewill fan exc)
Old 08-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #6280
VSG

WDC drives

forgot to mention for new people.. the EARS still probably will require wdidle3.exe, and are not as good as the EVDS series...but a whole lot cheaper...
Old 08-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #6281
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG View Post
forgot to mention for new people.. the EARS still probably will require wdidle3.exe, and are not as good as the EVDS series...but a whole lot cheaper...
Nice find earlier...I saw that and thought about posting, but didn't want to get everyone too excited. It's amazing that 2TB can be had for <$100 now.

FWIW there's actually very little difference between WD's EARS and EVDS drive series as far as TiVo is concerned. The nice thing about the EVDS is that the AAM is already tuned to 128...although both are very quiet out of the box.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #6282
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
No...it's an "LP" drive...vinyl all the way!
Wonder if his digital camera still uses film.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #6283
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
I have been patient, Mr. Broflovski. Much more so, after you smacked me upside the head for "thread crapping", and told me to be patient. Since you will no longer accept PM requests for the image, could you point me in the direction of some image holders who you think won't be bothered by me PMing them with a request for it? I had one offer it up, who would only provide it to me if I could provide them with private login credentials for a private FTP server. I don't run a FTP server, nor do I know of one that is private, that I could somehow give credentials for and keep it private.

I want to respect your wishes with regards to the image being kept private, among those who have it and those who they trust to give it to. It's my understanding that it's in several split files, but they are still too large to email. I have "Trillian", an excellent & free IM/IRC/ICQ program that has private file transfer as an option, but requires the other person to be running it as well (which is a bit much to expect -somebody installing a program that they don't have or necessarily trust just to do this one-off transfer).

So, Mr Broflovski, how did you share it in the first place? If I knew that, maybe I could know how to get it shared in my direction? Do I need to find some ftp software and take a crash course in being an ftp server admin? I think my ISP may actually block me from even doing so, but I'm not sure.

Again, once I have a working/validated copy in my possession, all my posts and threads regarding it will be deleted.

And help/advice you give me will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You are making too much out of this! You do not need a server. All you need is someone to upload the files to MediaFire and send you the link!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #6284
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
You are making too much out of this! You do not need a server. All you need is someone to upload the files to MediaFire and send you the link!
Oh, come on now! You take all of the fun out of being evil.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #6285
MPSAN

Quote:
Oh, come on now! You take all of the fun out of being evil.
Well, I guess that is one way to think about it.
Rich, have you ever had any issues with 508? I noticed that KGW was locked up last night. I went back about 15 seconds and all was OK, but when it came to the end of the buffer it just froze again. The other tuner was fine. I switched back to 508 and it was still locked. I went up to 510 and all was OK. I went back to 508 and it, too, was OK. Have you ever had this? Can one station cause 1 tuner/buffer to lock up? All is OK now.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #6286
richsadams

Quote:
Well, I guess that is one way to think about it.
Rich, have you ever had any issues with 508? I noticed that KGW was locked up last night. I went back about 15 seconds and all was OK, but when it came to the end of the buffer it just froze again. The other tuner was fine. I switched back to 508 and it was still locked. I went up to 510 and all was OK. I went back to 508 and it, too, was OK. Have you ever had this? Can one station cause 1 tuner/buffer to lock up? All is OK now.
To be honest, I've been noticing a number of issues. So has another TCF member in Gresham. Initially I thought my Premiere XL was acting up, but it turns out Frontier has been making some changes. I'll PM you since it would be a bit OT here.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #6287
GPT999

Free Agent Pro follow-up

Guess I didn't do my due diligence in checking compatibility of the TIVO HD with the Free Agent Pro, but I had one hanging around. I am curious if anyone got this to work at all ( Thanks Rich for the response). I also saw on another forum there may have been an issue with firmware or the enclosure? The person had taken the HDD out of the FAP enclosure and stuck it in a external enclosure with power switch to get it to work. Not sure if they also modified the drive firmware as well to tell it not to sleep. If anyone got this to work, please email if not want to post. Trying to save that extra $$ and use this FAP if possible, but I would buy an enclosure for it. Thanks again...
Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #6288
richsadams

Quote:
Guess I didn't do my due diligence in checking compatibility of the TIVO HD with the Free Agent Pro, but I had one hanging around. I am curious if anyone got this to work at all ( Thanks Rich for the response). I also saw on another forum there may have been an issue with firmware or the enclosure? The person had taken the HDD out of the FAP enclosure and stuck it in a external enclosure with power switch to get it to work. Not sure if they also modified the drive firmware as well to tell it not to sleep. If anyone got this to work, please email if not want to post. Trying to save that extra $$ and use this FAP if possible, but I would buy an enclosure for it. Thanks again...
You should be able to pull the drive and place it in another enclosure such as the recommended Antec MX-1. Since the drive is running 24/7 there's no opportunity for it to spin down so no worries about "sleep mode".

However I still wouldn't go down that road. There's no guarantee that it will work properly (although I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't) and being a used drive its lifespan may or may not be near an end. (All recordings are lost if it fails.)

If you're determined to add an external drive I'd pick up a 1TB Fantom Green eSATA drive. They employ a WD GP hard drive and there are a number of folks successfully using them here. IIRC unlike most external drives Fantom has a two-year warranty. On sale the cost isn't much more than an empty enclosure. You can get one for $49.99 AR w/free shipping right now...

http://bit.ly/DPWMD

Looks like they're out of stock at the moment, but the drive is very popular so I'd think they'll have it again very soon. Onsale.com had them for $59 the other day, no rebate, etc. If you keep your eyes open you can usually find them for about that price.

Just a thought. Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #6289
Joe3

Quote:
I didn't think it would work when I took my Free Agent Pro apart. But for me it worked. I didn't have to modified the drive firmware.
As a matter of fact 2 to 3 years after its original death in its own enclosure it's doing well and still going strong in its new enclosure. I kid you not, its been 8 years of constant use connected to my Series 3. However, I went retail for the new enclosure so if it did not work I could return it with some excuse of how it doesn't fit.

or what ever Rich says, he's one of the Maharishi’s I follow. But 50 bucks is 50 bucks.

Last edited by Joe3 : 08-18-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #6290
GPT999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3 View Post
I didn't think it would work when I took my Free Agent Pro apart. But for me it worked. I didn't have to modified the drive firmware.
As a matter of fact 2 to 3 years after its original death in its own enclosure it's doing well and still going strong in its new enclosure. I kid you not, its been 8 years of constant use connected to my Series 3. However, I went retail for the new enclosure so if it did not work I could return it with some excuse of how it doesn't fit.

or what ever Rich says, he's one of the Maharishi’s I follow. But 50 bucks is 50 bucks.
Hey Joe, What did you end with for an enclosure? Did get one with on/off switch or... Thx for the info... Would a sledge hammer be too big a tool to open the FAP?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #6291
richsadams

Quote:
Did get one with on/off switch or...
FWIW an on/off switch really isn't an option.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #6292
richsadams

Quote:
I kid you not, its been 8 years of constant use connected to my Series 3.
That's pretty amazing and great to hear! Wow!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #6293
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
I its been 8 years of constant use connected to my Series 3.
If your drive is eight years old, it needs to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3
And 50 bucks is more than your recordings are worth to you? Seriously, hard drives should be replaced every 3-5 years at most.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #6294
Joe3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post

And 50 bucks is more than your recordings are worth to you? Seriously, hard drives should be replaced every 3-5 years at most.
no doubt, but I did back up what I thought I would never see again if my luck ran out.

Quote:
Hey Joe, ... Would a sledge hammer be too big a tool to open the FAP?
The FAP opened up rather easily since it was frozen and don't ask.

Last edited by Joe3 : 08-19-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #6295
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Oh goodie, time for some Tivo surgery... Who brought the anesthesia?
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #6296
richsadams

Quote:
The old throw the hard drive in the freezer and it'll recover trick gone terribly wrong eh?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #6297
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
Well, that may have more to do with TiVo's OS than the drive. However, there is not much you can do about it!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #6298
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Well, that may have more to do with TiVo's OS than the drive. However, there is not much you can do about it!
Huh?

No, it doesn't. Drives have limited lifetimes. Eight years is way beyond that limit.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:49 AM   #6299
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Huh?

No, it doesn't. Drives have limited lifetimes. Eight years is way beyond that limit.
Nope, 70,000 hours is not "way beyond that limit". Anyway, any further input on my part, and I can elaborate, would be way Off Topic here.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #6300
VSG

Thumbs up 2TB success, 318HD hours ***now on an HD***, limit removed on 11h?

I see 1 partition of 1.7tb....everything works fine.

What are the signs of it not working again?