TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2010, 02:14 AM   #6181
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl View Post
Outside of trying other wall outlets or power strips, or another cable, any suggestions?
Thanks for the kind words and sorry to hear about the problems with your eSATA drive. It sounds like you've got all of the bases covered, but have a look at this post to see if anything else helps...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...44#post7553444
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #6182
rich111

Copy Time?

I am ready to replace my 500GB previously upgraded drive with a 1TB WD10EARS that I have done the wdidle3 thing on, and set AAM to 128. I want to copy about 50 hours of HD material from one drive to the other, and will be using external esata to usb on the 2 drives. Any estimates how long this will take? Thanks.
rich111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #6183
mellenfan

Series 4 Upgrade

Is there a diy way to upgrade a series 4?
mellenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #6184
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellenfan View Post
Is there a diy way to upgrade a series 4?
Not using winMFS so far. IIRC there's someone on eBay selling Pre-imaged 2TB drives for the Premiere.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #6185
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Not using winMFS so far. IIRC there's someone on eBay selling Pre-imaged 2TB drives for the Premiere.
But does the Linux mfs backup works on S4? If so, then, YES there is a way.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #6186
kemac

No the old mfs tools do not work, S4 contain an extra partition plus some other differences in how the data on the drive is treated. Hopefully some new/updated tools will be available to the public at some point.
Slingbox
kemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #6187
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

I have had a few problems with my TiVo and want to try upgrading the HDD to see if that is my problem. Is there any way to go from my 1.o TB to a 1.5 TB and keep my recordings?
TiVo Mini

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #6188
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
I have had a few problems with my TiVo and want to try upgrading the HDD to see if that is my problem. Is there any way to go from my 1.o TB to a 1.5 TB and keep my recordings?
Not using the entire 1.5TB - check the sticky. I think you can go up to 1.2 something. Not worth the effort if you ask me.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #6189
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Not using the entire 1.5TB - check the sticky. I think you can go up to 1.2 something. Not worth the effort if you ask me.
It says I can go to 1.35. Since I have to replace my HDD anyways, I might as well get the biggest I can. But if I can't keep the recordings on my 1.0, I'd rather just buy another 1.0 HDD.
TiVo Mini

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #6190
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Use any of the MFS utilities to format the new drive and copy your existing content. You'll only get another 250GB or so of increased space.

If you have an original Series 3 you can add the drive externally.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #6191
haidawei

I am trying to upgrade my THD with a WD10EARS, but I am running into difficulties. I know that I have to run wdidle3.exe to make the drive compatible with Tivo, but that is my problem. I cannot get wdidle3 to run. I have the new drive connected to one of the SATA ports on my XP machine. I first made a CD of the ISO file that is found in the FAQ. I boot the machine, the light for the CD-ROM flashes, but then the machine boots to XP. Then decided to extract the files and make another CD. This CD has the following files on it: wdidle3.exe, autorun.bat and a folder named isolinux. I put that CD in and rebooted. The same thing happened and the machine booted to XP. My last resort was to put the above files on a USB drive and try and get the machine to boot to the USB. Once again, the machine boots to XP. I am obviously missing something basic, but I am at a loss. Can someone please explain the steps necessary to get the WD10EARS to run wdidle3 so that I can continue with the upgrade. Thank you.
haidawei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #6192
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Use any of the MFS utilities to format the new drive and copy your existing content. You'll only get another 250GB or so of increased space.

If you have an original Series 3 you can add the drive externally.
I already have to replace my internal drive so I'm really just debating a 1TB or 1.5 TB internal HDD. I'm not a fan of external drives for my TiVo. I will buy a 1 TB HDD if I cant keep my recordings by upgrading to 1.5 TB. Otherwise, I want the biggest I can use with my TiVo.

According to bkdtv I cant use WinMFS, which is why I am concerned I might not be able to keep my recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Note you can only prepare a >1.1TB drive using WinMFS; you cannot prepare a >1.1TB drive using MFSLive or InstantCake. Furthermore, to use 1.26TB on a TivoHD or 1.35TB on a Series3, you must start with an original (non-expanded) TiVo image and follow the instructions in the next FAQ.

TiVo Mini

Old 07-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #6193
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by haidawei View Post
...I have the new drive connected to one of the SATA ports on my XP machine. I first made a CD of the ISO file that is found in the FAQ. I boot the machine, the light for the CD-ROM flashes, but then the machine boots to XP. Then decided to extract the files and make another CD. This CD has the following files on it: wdidle3.exe, autorun.bat and a folder named isolinux. I put that CD in and rebooted. The same thing happened and the machine booted to XP. My last resort was to put the above files on a USB drive and try and get the machine to boot to the USB. Once again, the machine boots to XP. I am obviously missing something basic, but I am at a loss. Can someone please explain the steps necessary to get the WD10EARS to run wdidle3 so that I can continue with the upgrade. Thank you.
You have to go into the PC Setup and change the boot device order to put the CD ahead of the hard disk. When you see the "Press F12 (or whatever) for setup, press the key. If you don't get a message, try holding F12, or F10, or ESC.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #6194
haidawei

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
You have to go into the PC Setup and change the boot device order to put the CD ahead of the hard disk. When you see the "Press F12 (or whatever) for setup, press the key. If you don't get a message, try holding F12, or F10, or ESC.
Yes, I did do that. The CD is the first priority and then the hard disks are the2nd and 3rd in the list. The CD-ROM flashes like it wants to do something but then Windows (hard disk) takes over. I have gone so far as to take out the hard disk with Windows and only have my new drive connected. But, this does not work either. The CD-ROM flashes and then I get an error message.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #6195
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Yes, I did do that. The CD is the first priority and then the hard disks are the2nd and 3rd in the list. The CD-ROM flashes like it wants to do something but then Windows (hard disk) takes over. I have gone so far as to take out the hard disk with Windows and only have my new drive connected. But, this does not work either. The CD-ROM flashes and then I get an error message.
Sounds like you didn't make a boot-able CD.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #6196
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Sounds like you didn't make a boot-able CD.
Yes, I assume you got the .iso OK, but how did you burn the iso to the CD? Did you use the free imgburn software? As said, you need to be sure that you created a bootable CD. I ask as the files you show seem correct, but the image burning software needs to make it a bootable CD. That should be taken care of with the .iso.

You can try burning again as you may just have a bad CD that will not boot.. Which iso file did you download? I burn mine to cdrw so I can just erase them and try again. When you tried to boot the CD was there any message on the screen or did it just go to XP? Why it would try to burn a new CD is strange.

Last edited by MPSAN : 07-28-2010 at 08:42 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #6197
haidawei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Yes, I assume you got the .iso OK, but how did you burn the iso to the CD? Did you use the free imgburn software? As said, you need to be sure that you created a bootable CD. I ask as the files you show seem correct, but the image burning software needs to make it a bootable CD. That should be taken care of with the .iso.
That was it. I was not using the imgburn software. I was burning the ISO with another program. I went back and made another CD with the imgburn software and it worked immediately. I knew that I was missing something easy and I appreciate you pointing it out to me. I am now on my way to upgrading the THD. Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #6198
MPSAN

Quote:
That was it. I was not using the imgburn software. I was burning the ISO with another program. I went back and made another CD with the imgburn software and it worked immediately. I knew that I was missing something easy and I appreciate you pointing it out to me. I am now on my way to upgrading the THD. Thanks again.
Glad to be able to help. Also, you may want to use the Windows version of hddscan and turn the AAM to 128. I just did two WD10EARS drives for 2 of my 3 THD's and the one in the bedroom is QUIETER than the original drive the THD came with!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #6199
haidawei

Quote:
Glad to be able to help. Also, you may want to use the Windows version of hddscan and turn the AAM to 128. I just did two WD10EARS drives for 2 of my 3 THD's and the one in the bedroom is QUIETER than the original drive the THD came with!
Yes, per the FAQ, I used hddscan and turned the AAM to 128. I am looking forward to a quieter machine....not that the original was that loud.

Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:04 AM   #6200
MPSAN

Quote:
Yes, per the FAQ, I used hddscan and turned the AAM to 128. I am looking forward to a quieter machine....not that the original was that loud.

Thanks again!
Great, let us know how it goes.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 AM   #6201
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
I already have to replace my internal drive so I'm really just debating a 1TB or 1.5 TB internal HDD. I'm not a fan of external drives for my TiVo. I will buy a 1 TB HDD if I cant keep my recordings by upgrading to 1.5 TB. Otherwise, I want the biggest I can use with my TiVo.

According to bkdtv I cant use WinMFS, which is why I am concerned I might not be able to keep my recordings.
Hmmm - I know I took a WinMFS expanded 750GB drive and upped it to 1 GB while keeping recordings. Not sure why goinf from 1GB to 1.whatever would be different - but I'm a moron.

If you're keeping the original drive you don't have anything to lose by trying.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #6202
haidawei

Quote:
Great, let us know how it goes.
Well, I have to say that was one of the easiest upgrades that I have done. The directions in the FAQ were perfect and everything went smoothly. You are correct, the hard drive is quiet. Thanks again for all of the help.

Do I even bother pulling the hard drive out of my DVR expander and running tests on it? Have people had success bringing them back to life once they get them out of the expander enclosure?
Old 07-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #6203
bowlingblogger

Quote:
Do I even bother pulling the hard drive out of my DVR expander and running tests on it? Have people had success bringing them back to life once they get them out of the expander enclosure?
I pulled mine out of the enclosure after it failed in my Tivo and repurposed it as the main hard drive on an old Windows XP box, and it's still working great.
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #6204
jgbeldock

Still no luck with S3 Expansion

All,

Sorry for my slow reply. Was out of the country. To answer your questions, I have tried connecting my *UNMODIFIED* Series 3 to several e-SATA drives, both 1Tb and 500Gb. Most recently I have tried and failed with a brand new Toshiba 1Tb External, model #PH3100U-1EXB. The Tivo is running 11.0g-01-2-648.

Just to remind everyone, I have an endless loop problem: the S3 recognizes that a drive is plugged in if I go to Home / Settings/ ... / External Devices, but no matter how many times I tell it to set up this external drive, when it reboots, the S3 says the same thing (drive is not set up) when I return to this menu. I confirm that the storage space has not expanded by checking System Status (still 76 hours), and if I go to External Devices, I am told the device needs to be set up (again) no matter how many times I go through the setup/reboot/check process.

Kickstart 54 reports no failures on the drive, and the drive *IS* shown under the External Storage line in System Status (and correctly identified as, e.g., a Toshiba 1Tb External).

Thanks,
-James
jgbeldock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:32 AM   #6205
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbeldock View Post
Just to remind everyone, I have an endless loop problem: the S3 recognizes that a drive is plugged in if I go to Home / Settings/ ... / External Devices, but no matter how many times I tell it to set up this external drive, when it reboots, the S3 says the same thing (drive is not set up) when I return to this menu.
I haven't gone back to read all your comments in this thread, but in TiVo's defense ...

They don't guarantee that any arbitrary eSATA drive will work. I'd suggest that you try an approved WD product, but unfortunately those tend to fail after about 18 months.

Kinda sucks, sorry I can't be of more help.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:57 AM   #6206
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbeldock View Post
I confirm that the storage space has not expanded by checking System Status (still 76 hours)
Hi James. Can you confirm the HD and SD hours showing on your System Information Screen? I'm asking based on your quote (above). That number doesn't correspond with the recording capacity for a stock drive in a Series3.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #6207
tlc

1.5TB questions

I'm deciding between the WD10EARS and WD15EARS for my Tivo HD which has a stock drive and a (failing) WD expander. I understand that the EARS requires wdidling and that a 1.5TB drive requires WinMFS and won't get me a full 1.5TB.

I wanted to make sure that I understood this:
Quote:
You must start with an original (non-expanded) TiVo image; images from upgraded TiVos will not work.
Will my divorced stock drive qualify to setup a 1.5TB drive? (I think so, but the word "expanded" was used.)

Before the WD Expander, I did a internal upgrade and was unlucky with a bad 1TB drive. So I put the stock one back in and got the Expander. Given this, will my stock drive still qualify to setup a 1.5TB drive?

If I go 1.5TB and need to replace that drive someday, I can't use it as input to WinMFS, right? I'll need to go back to the old stock drive and the newer Subscriptions and Thumbs will be missing, right?
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #6208
tlc

WD*EARS question

There are some success stories with the EARS in this thread. Then I spotted this in the FAQ. Has this been resolved?
Quote:
Western Digital's WDxxEARS drive features a unique 4KB physical sector that exhibits reduced performance under software (like TiVo's) that expects 512 byte sectors. It is not clear to what degree this affects TiVo responsiveness.

tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #6209
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
There are some success stories with the EARS in this thread. Then I spotted this in the FAQ. Has this been resolved?
This turned out to not matter.

I have 2 WD10EARS drives running in two THD's now. I needed wdidle3 and hddscan, but these drive are quiet!
Old 07-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #6210
richsadams

Quote:
I'm deciding between the WD10EARS and WD15EARS for my Tivo HD which has a stock drive and a (failing) WD expander. I understand that the EARS requires wdidling and that a 1.5TB drive requires WinMFS and won't get me a full 1.5TB.
Probably (there are a few reports of the newest models no longer needing wdidle) and true.

Quote:
I wanted to make sure that I understood this:

Will my divorced stock drive qualify to setup a 1.5TB drive? (I think so, but the word "expanded" was used.)
Yes.

Quote:
Before the WD Expander, I did a internal upgrade and was unlucky with a bad 1TB drive. So I put the stock one back in and got the Expander. Given this, will my stock drive still qualify to setup a 1.5TB drive?
Yes. Just be sure that you properly divorce your eSATA drive first...

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/get..._capacity.html

Quote:
If I go 1.5TB and need to replace that drive someday, I can't use it as input to WinMFS, right? I'll need to go back to the old stock drive and the newer Subscriptions and Thumbs will be missing, right?
I'm not sure about the 1.5TB drive but I've replaced a 1TB with a 1TB, saving all of the recordings, etc. without a problem. I don't see any reason the same wouldn't work with a 1.5TB to 1.5TB drive. Hopefully someone that's tried it can chime in.

FWIW if you subscribe to TiVo's Guru Guides or KidZone all of your subscriptions are archived. When your "new" TiVo connects to the mothership your subs, etc. will be repopulated.

http://www.tivo.com/findtvshows/guides/index.html

My two cents? Unless the small amount of additional recording space is critical, I would just go with the 1TB drive. If you shop around you can usually find them on sale at some point. The last two I bought from Newegg were $59.99, a good deal cheaper than the 1.5TB models.

Happy upgrading!

Last edited by richsadams : 08-01-2010 at 01:15 PM.