TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2010, 06:41 AM   #6151
fluffie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

If you wanted to, you could try running some of TiVo's built-in diagnostic and repair programs called "Kickstarts". At times they can overcome some minor data corruption or isolate bad sectors on a hard drive. It might be worth a shot, but again it does sound like the hard drive may have seen better days and three years or so isn't great, but not terrible for a drive that's been in service and operational 24/7. Here's a link to the Kickstart info:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

Hope that helps and let us know how things go.
I ran the first of the kickstart routines several days ago. It said it would take a few hours, then only took a few minutes. I haven't had a freeze up since. Still planning on replacing the HD when I get a chance. Thanks,
Linda

Linda
fluffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #6152
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffie View Post
I ran the first of the kickstart routines several days ago. It said it would take a few hours, then only took a few minutes. I haven't had a freeze up since. Still planning on replacing the HD when I get a chance. Thanks,
Linda

Linda
That's good to hear Linda. A short diagnostic response may indicate that there were a small number of bad sectors and that TiVo was able to isolate them. Something else could come up later though, so replacing the drive certainly couldn't hurt.

Let us know how things go!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #6153
hybucket

A quickie question...I've bought a new enclosure for my 500 My Expander...is there a secret way to getting the HD out of the old one? I don't see any way other than cracking the case.
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #6154
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
A quickie question...I've bought a new enclosure for my 500 My Expander...is there a secret way to getting the HD out of the old one? I don't see any way other than cracking the case.
IIRC it's a matter for brute force. I think someone posted a little "how to" sometime back. Seems like it was a matter of carefully popping the seams and unsnapping the two halves of the case. If you're not planning on reusing it you can probably just force it open...just be careful not to stick a screwdriver, etc. too deep inside...you don't want to damage the hard drive. Of course be sure to avoid any static electricity.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #6155
jjeff

Does anyone know what happened to BKDTV, the originator of this wonderful thread? He also has a similar great thread on AVS under BFDTV. He hasn't posted here since June 27th and on AVS since June 12th. He used to post daily and his great threads are thee reason I purchased a Tivo(HD), something I said I'd never do(but I couldn't be happier).
I hope all is well with bfdtv....
jjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #6156
jgbeldock

Angry Expansion on unhooked S3: endless config loops

Hi gang. I have purchased and installed two different external 1tb eSata drives and one 500gb drive over the past three days. My S3, running 11.0g-01-2-648 recognizes that a drive is plugged in if I go to Home / Settings/ ... / External Devices, but no matter how many times I tell it to set up this external drive, when it reboots, the S3 says the same thing (drive is not set up) when I return to this menu. Recommendations, anyone?

Thanks,
James
jgbeldock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #6157
richsadams

Welcome to the forum James (although it looks like you've been hanging around for a while). Please post all of the details about each drive you're trying to use. Also if your TiVo has the original internal hard drive.

Last edited by richsadams : 07-22-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #6158
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbeldock View Post
Hi gang. I have purchased and installed two different external 1tb eSata drives and one 500gb drive over the past three days. My S3, running 11.0g-01-2-648 recognizes that a drive is plugged in if I go to Home / Settings/ ... / External Devices, but no matter how many times I tell it to set up this external drive, when it reboots, the S3 says the same thing (drive is not set up) when I return to this menu. Recommendations, anyone?

Thanks,
James
Quote:
Welcome to the forum James. Do you have an original TiVo Series3 or a TiVo HD?

TiVo Series3 http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2007...o-series-3.jpg

TiVo HD http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20090921/tivo-hd-dvr.jpg

It sounds like you have a TiVo HD. Although the drive will show up the only external drive that will actually work with the TiVo HD (or Tivo HDXL) via plug and play is the Western Digital My DVR Expander.

If it's actually the original TiVo Series3 post all of the details about each drive you're trying to use.
Here is the clue as to what Tivo he has.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #6159
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Here is the clue as to what Tivo he has.
D'oh! Gotta stop skimming the posts!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #6160
jgbeldock

Details

Thanks, gents, for the quick reply. ThAbt0 has it right: it's an unmodified Series3 with the original hard drive, currently running 11.0g-01-2-648. The latest drive not to work is a 1TB Toshiba which shows up as "Toshiba External HDD 1AG01118" in system status. I tried kickstart 54 and the drives both passed S.M.A.R.T. The other two drives not to work were a Western Digital Green 1 TB and an older Maxtor 500 Gb.

Thanks again for any advice you can offer.

-J
jgbeldock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #6161
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbeldock View Post
Thanks, gents, for the quick reply. ThAbt0 has it right: it's an unmodified Series3 with the original hard drive, currently running 11.0g-01-2-648. The latest drive not to work is a 1TB Toshiba which shows up as "Toshiba External HDD 1AG01118" in system status. I tried kickstart 54 and the drives both passed S.M.A.R.T. The other two drives not to work were a Western Digital Green 1 TB and an older Maxtor 500 Gb.

Thanks again for any advice you can offer.

-J
What enclosure(s) are you using? I find it odd that if you run KS54 TiVo is able to read the drives yet they aren't working. Don't be offended, but after connecting them, have you checked your recording capacity on the System Information screen?

Maxtor?! ))shudder((
Old 07-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #6162
MPSAN

Rich, you have important EMAIL.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #6163
pilotbob

Is there a current list of recommended 1TB hard drives for a TiVo HD. I am looking on Newegg and they have the model numbers listed by the FAQ in message 1 as don't use any more... but the ones on the list I can't seem to find.

Are there any basic specs.. 3GBps 5400 RPM ok... or do you need a 7200 RPM?

Anyone have a recently purchased drive, I'm ok with Seagate or WD or Hitachi that worked without problems using InstantCake to prepare it? It doesn't seem worth it to buy a pre-prepped drive for $239 when most of the 1TB drives at Newegg are less than $100.

This may be in the FAQ but can I use MFS tools to copy from the original HD drive married to WD DVR expander to a single bare 1TB drive?

Thanks,
BOb

Last edited by pilotbob : 07-23-2010 at 04:16 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #6164
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TB USB 2.0/eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive WDBABT0010HBK-NESN

Found it on Amazon.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #6165
richsadams

Nice find. I hope this new model doesn't confuse anyone. Per the FAQ WD's "My Book" series of external hard drives was one of the few that wouldn't work with TiVo. Odd that they decided to use that name.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #6166
JohnMc

I have an out of warantee TiVo HD (w/lifetime) that is starting to act flaky. If I go ahead and do the drive upgrade and it turns out not to be the problem, will TiVo still replace the unit under the $150 option?
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #6167
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
I have an out of warantee TiVo HD (w/lifetime) that is starting to act flaky. If I go ahead and do the drive upgrade and it turns out not to be the problem, will TiVo still replace the unit under the $150 option?
Although TiVo is aware of any drive changes there have only been a couple of reports of them ever denying a replacement. So unless you leave some sort of obvious artifact behind (part of your PB&J sandwich for example) there shouldn't be a problem. All you need to do is slip the original hard drive back in, not mention that you did anything to the CSR and life will be good.

Hard drive failure is by far the overwhelming reason for TiVo problems though, so odds are a new drive will do the trick.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #6168
MPSAN

I might add that if the "flaky" drive still works a little, you can always put it back in and force a few connections. That will bring it up to date with guide data, etc. I did this and felt that TIVO may wonder why the last time it connected was a few months ago. Just trying to be sure all was OK and did not send any warnings to them.

However, as Rich said, they do not seem to be looking anyway.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #6169
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Odd that they decided to use that name.
I won't buy another WD Expander, no matter how they permute the name.

To paraphrase George Bush: fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool me twice, you canít get fooled again.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #6170
hybucket

It says on Amazon that it's compatible with TiVO Series 3. ANyone out there tried it? Amazon says it's been available since June...I'm wondering if it has/will have a better track record than the 500 My Expander untis...
Old 07-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #6171
richsadams

Quote:
It says on Amazon that it's compatible with TiVO Series 3. ANyone out there tried it? Amazon says it's been available since June...I'm wondering if it has/will have a better track record than the 500 My Expander untis...
Based on posts on this forum and a couple of others I keep track of the 1TB model of WD's My DVR Expander appears to be more reliable than the 500GB model at about the same point in its lifespan. But as you probably know that's not saying a lot as the 500GB's only lasted 12 to 18 months which is a very poor track record. If the 1TB's last a little longer, 24 months for example, that wouldn't be a whole lot better IMO.

Often the failure of the 500GB models was due the enclosure and not the drive itself. (A number of folks were able to pull the hard drive, put it in a new enclosure and continue using it while others weren't so lucky.) No one was able to determine if enclosure failures were due to chipset issues, a failed board, etc. Although the exterior is different, without a side-by-side comparison of this new drive and the old one, it's impossible to say if they're using some of the same components, architecture, etc. The My DVR Expanders came in USB and eSATA versions. Since this the new drive is USB/eSATA my guess is that it's all new, but again, impossible to say.

Although none are TiVo users, the three people that rated it on Amazon all gave it five stars. They mentioned that it runs cool and quiet so that's positive. Hopefully WD learned some lessons along the way and this new drive will outlast their older cousins but only time will tell. Did I hear you'd like to become a TiVo Pioneer and give it a go?

Last edited by richsadams : 07-25-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #6172
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
How big do you need? If your existing S3 drive is not 1TB+ already, I'd begin with upgrading that. It's pretty easy (near trivial for a techno-geek) to do on your own, and the best 1TB drives are often on sale under $80.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #6173
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
How big do you need? If your existing S3 drive is not 1TB+ already, I'd begin with upgrading that. It's pretty easy (near trivial for a techno-geek) to do on your own, and the best 1TB drives are often on sale under $80.
Phantom and I second that.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #6174
hybucket

Quote:
Yes, I know that Rich (and many others here) are all for upgrading the unit itself, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable attempting it (yes, I know the instructions here make it easy for a 12 year-old, but, unfortunately, I'm not a 12 year-old). I currently have the 500 My Expander running - it's been 16 months now, and I'm getting some indications it is on its last legs (ocassional freezes, audio not matching video...). I have purchased a new casing for it (I've heard an 8 year-old can do that...), so that when it craps out, I'll try that. But if it doesn't work after that, I may just be a "pioneer" and try the 1TB model. Best Buy also has it, but considerably more $.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #6175
JohnMc

Big Grin

Quote:
Although TiVo is aware of any drive changes there have only been a couple of reports of them ever denying a replacement. So unless you leave some sort of obvious artifact behind (part of your PB&J sandwich for example) there shouldn't be a problem. All you need to do is slip the original hard drive back in, not mention that you did anything to the CSR and life will be good.

Hard drive failure is by far the overwhelming reason for TiVo problems though, so odds are a new drive will do the trick.

I ran kickstart 54 before proceding and on the extended scan it reported "Fail 7", so I think the drive was the issue. The upgrade went flawless (I did not attempt to save content) and the unit seems to be at 100% again. I'm going to do my S3 as soon as I get all the content transfered to my newly upgraded TiVo HD.

PS: I used a Western Digital WD10EVDS that I purchased back in October, before they became incompatable with TiVo. I bought two, so I have one left for my S3.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #6176
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
I ran kickstart 54 before proceding and on the extended scan it reported "Fail 7", so I think the drive was the issue. The upgrade went flawless (I did not attempt to save content) and the unit seems to be at 100% again. I'm going to do my S3 as soon as I get all the content transfered to my newly upgraded TiVo HD.

PS: I used a Western Digital WD10EVDS that I purchased back in October, before they became incompatable with TiVo. I bought two, so I have one left for my S3.
Excellent news all around (well, except for the failed drive). Glad to hear things are back to normal. Happy transferring and enjoy your "new" TiVo's!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #6177
richsadams

Quote:
I have purchased a new casing for it (I've heard an 8 year-old can do that...), so that when it craps out, I'll try that. But if it doesn't work after that, I may just be a "pioneer" and try the 1TB model. Best Buy also has it, but considerably more $.
Understood and I certainly don't fault anyone for not wanting to fuss with an upgrade. Keep in mind that if the external goes south all of your recordings will be lost (recordings made since it was connected). If you have shows you can't live without you might want to consider transferring them to a computer for safe keeping.

Let us know how things go if you do end up placing your eSATA drive in a new enclosure or decide to get the new WD expansion drive. TIA!
Old 07-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #6178
hybucket

Quote:
Understood and I certainly don't fault anyone for not wanting to fuss with an upgrade. Keep in mind that if the external goes south all of your recordings will be lost (recordings made since it was connected). If you have shows you can't live without you might want to consider transferring them to a computer for safe keeping.

Let us know how things go if you do end up placing your eSATA drive in a new enclosure or decide to get the new WD expansion drive. TIA!
If I do have to "divorce" the Expander, I know the recordings will be lost, but will anything else be screwed up, like the ToDo list or SPs?
Old 07-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #6179
MPSAN

Quote:
I will 3rd it but the prices are more like <$70 now. Also, 1 large internal HD has less points of failure than an internal + an External.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #6180
jwl

WD no longer covering defective drives with extended warranty!

Quote:
Looks like bkdtv missed your question. My answer is "probably". Since TiVo recognized the drive (as evidenced by the requirement to properly remove it) it's more likely that there is a problem with the drive or the drive enclosure. Again since TiVo acknowledged the drive my money says that the eSATA hard drive itself is defective. It's fairly rare but it happens and as with most CE products, if something's going to fail, it'll usually fail right away.

The SIIG cable is still a good investment, but I'd get an RMA for your DOA drive from Newegg. bkdtv may have some other advice as well.

Rich, You've been a great help to anyone reading your answers to my questions. I had a bad DVR Expander & tried various methods to fix it -- or save the programming. Was finally able to save past 4 gigs on a computer without Kaspersky. The quasi-solution for the numerous (even OTA) protected programs was a PVR.

Being a complete newbie on computers, I gave up on all else just a few days ago & returned the defective drive to WD.

As of a few minutes ago, I plugged in the RMA replacement from WD & got stuck on the same on-screen message as the poster you answered above:

"Your expansion storage device has been activated for use with this DVR."

Nothing more. All remote keys are unresponsive, though the LED lights up.

The e-SATA cable is the one I used with the previous drive. That drive failed the SMART tests, so I don't think it was the cable. Also, the drive continued to degrade over the past 3 months, unrelated to the cable, in that TiVo Desktop recordings generally got smaller each time they were attempted on a particular file (as it reached a new bad point).

Outside of trying other wall outlets or power strips, or another cable, any suggestions?

Readers might want to note the following if not discussed here already:

When I created the RMA, WD's site took me to a page where I could purchase for $24.95 an "extended warranty" for 2 more years on the replacement they were to ship out. I had until mid-July to do so.

By early July, WD said, & confirmed a few days ago, that "video" equipment like DVR Expanders & the other "TV" products, are the only products they DO NOT offer extended warranties on.

I asked whether, since they were now no longer selling extended warranties on replacement drives, I had any protection in the event this new drive did not work. They said to call them if it is DOA. I believe they are closed now, so will have to see what they say tomorrow.
jwl is offline   Reply With Quote