TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #6121
aaronwt
HD Addict

I always left the swap size at default on all my series 3 boxes. They all had 1TB drives in them that I created with WinMFS. And none of them ever had any issues.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #6122
Sbmocp

Thanks!

ThreeSoFar and aaronwt--

THanks for your input. To be safe I think I'll go w/512. The worst that can happen is that I'll have to re-do if something goofs up.
Sbmocp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #6123
abishop

Hitachi Cinemastar 1TB + Versus MX-1 enclosure for sale

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I couldn't find anyplace better.

I have a Hitachi Cinemastar 1TB external drive with Antec Veris MX-1 enclosure and all cables needed that I set my dad up with for his Series 3. He just upgraded to the Premier and gave me the stuff to sell. Doesn't look like many of these show up on ebay, so I thought I'd post here in case anyone was interested before putting it on ebay.

Shoot me a message if interested (or tell me where would be better to post this).

Thanks!
abishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 AM   #6124
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishop View Post
I have a Hitachi Cinemastar 1TB external drive with Antec Veris MX-1 enclosure and all cables needed that I set my dad up with for his Series 3.
Welcome to the forum. If you do decide to post it on ebay you can also post the details on the Forum's "eBay Auction Central":

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=68

If you do end up putting it on ebay, I'd probably split them up...sell the drive and the enclosure separately; you'll probably get more money and appeal to a wider audience. There s/b be a decent amount of interest in the Hitachi Cinemastar drive as it's a dedicated A/V hard drive and very quiet. Of course the MX-1 enclosures are favorites here as well.

BTW, you should probably mention how old it is and/or how long it's been in service.

Best of luck!

Last edited by richsadams : 07-13-2010 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Add text link for new member.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #6125
drcos
HD where available

As a follow-up, the WD15EARS does work in the S3. Did need to do the wdidle command to get it to work first. This was a new drive from NewEgg.
BTW, this drive dropped (after I bought it) to 89.99.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #6126
fluffie

I upgraded the internal drive in my TivoHD very soon after buying it in 2007.

It is now behaving like the description of a "newer Green WD HDD" in that what started out as occasionally and is now frequent, I must unplug and re-plug in the TivoHD when I go to watch as it is stuck on Welcome! Powering up...

But I don't see how it can be the "Intellipark" issue as the drive is not "newer". How old is newer? :-)

My question is: Should I (can I) follow the instructions under section B of the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ and retain my shows while the TivoHD is still usable?

The problem has become more frequent lately and I am worried that the HD will fail completely.

Thank you!!

Last edited by fluffie : 07-13-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: more information
fluffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #6127
Grandpasteve

TiVo HD Upgrade Experience

My original HD died, although it was not initially apparent it was truly dead. I could not create an image from it even though it passed all of the WD tests. Anyway after unsuccessfully begging for an image, I bought Instant Cake and a Hitachi HD31000.

I tried Instant Cake with the original drive while waiting for the replacement. Instant Cake would say it was baked, but I could tell there was no drive activity.

The Hitachi works perfectly. I could not set AAM using my USB to SATA adapter, but the drive is virtually silent.

I was worried about cable cards, but I called Comcast and they reset everything in one pleasant phone call. The operator's name was Verna and she was wonderful.

Last edited by Grandpasteve : 07-13-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added posessive apostrophe
Grandpasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #6128
fluffie

HCS721010KLA332 seems to be HCS721010CLA332 now? is that the correct drive part number? (CLA vs. KLA)
fluffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #6129
Grandpasteve

Hitachi drive

This is what I ordered.
http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskst...&s=electronics

I'll check the part number on the box and post it after I get home today.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #6130
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos View Post
As a follow-up, the WD15EARS does work in the S3. Did need to do the wdidle command to get it to work first. This was a new drive from NewEgg.
BTW, this drive dropped (after I bought it) to 89.99.
Thanks very much for the info. Did you happen to notice the manufacture date? TIA.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #6131
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffie View Post
My question is: Should I (can I) follow the instructions under section B of the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ and retain my shows while the TivoHD is still usable?
The short answer is yes. If TiVo is able to boot up properly you should still be able to use the drive to image a new one. FWIW the problems would have nothing to do with the Intellipark "feature" of the newer drives...and it does indeed sound like the hard drive is going south.

If you wanted to, you could try running some of TiVo's built-in diagnostic and repair programs called "Kickstarts". At times they can overcome some minor data corruption or isolate bad sectors on a hard drive. It might be worth a shot, but again it does sound like the hard drive may have seen better days and three years or so isn't great, but not terrible for a drive that's been in service and operational 24/7. Here's a link to the Kickstart info:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

Hope that helps and let us know how things go.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #6132
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpasteve View Post
My original HD died, although it was not initially apparent it was truly dead. I could not create an image from it even though it passed all of the WD tests. Anyway after unsuccessfully begging for an image, I bought Instant Cake and a Hitachi HD31000.

I tried Instant Cake with the original drive while waiting for the replacement. Instant Cake would say it was baked, but I could tell there was no drive activity.

The Hitachi works perfectly. I could not set AAM using my USB to SATA adapter, but the drive is virtually silent.

I was worried about cable cards, but I called Comcast and they reset everything in one pleasant phone call. The operator's name was Verna and she was wonderful.
Nice! Particularly about being able to get Comcast to re-pair your cable cards over the phone...that's fairly unusual for them. I have three of those drives (two in a NAS and one as a backup drive) and they are very quiet and have been rock solid for about a year now.

Enjoy your "brand new" TiVo and all of that additional real estate!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #6133
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffie View Post
HCS721010KLA332 seems to be HCS721010CLA332 now? is that the correct drive part number? (CLA vs. KLA)
That might be the case, both are Hitachi Cinemastar drives, but I'm not sure if one replaces the other or not. Either should be fine for TiVo purposes.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #6134
MPSAN

My two EARS.

Well, I wanted to update you all on my two additional THD 1GB Upgrades. I had to do this because of Verizon/Frontier FIOS...long story in other thread!

I used the WD10EARS as they were less expensive than 1.5 or 2 TB drives and 157 hours is enough.. I ran wdidle3 and hddscan to set AAM to 128.

Not only are both THD's running OK so far, but what I did not expect was that these drives are quieter than the original 160GB drives! The one in the Bedroom is silent! So now, if there is a show on that has a CCI Byte of 0x02, I set my THD's up as RAID 1!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #6135
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Well, I wanted to update you all on my two additional THD 1GB Upgrades. I had to do this because of Verizon/Frontier FIOS...long story in other thread!

I used the WD10EARS as they were less expensive than 1.5 or 2 TB drives and 157 hours is enough.. I ran wdidle3 and hddscan to set AAM to 128.

Not only are both THD's running OK so far, but what I did not expect was that these drives are quieter than the original 160GB drives! The one in the Bedroom is silent! So now, if there is a show on that has a CCI Byte of 0x02, I set my THD's up as RAID 1!
Sweet! Great info for future upgraders.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #6136
Grandpasteve

Hitachi Drive Info

Quote:
This is what I ordered.
http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskst...&s=electronics

I'll check the part number on the box and post it after I get home today.
The drive is HDS721010CLA332
Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #6137
Grandpasteve

Comcast - Spoke too soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Nice! Particularly about being able to get Comcast to re-pair your cable cards over the phone...that's fairly unusual for them. I have three of those drives (two in a NAS and one as a backup drive) and they are very quiet and have been rock solid for about a year now.

Enjoy your "brand new" TiVo and all of that additional real estate!
Anyway my cable card (M) is working, but not decoding HBO and Encore channels. I tried 3 different phone reps to get it working, but I ended up accepting a truck roll for Saturday.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #6138
pl1

HURRY UP!

Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARS

Gold Box Price: $99.00 (38% off)

Amazon.com

Good Until 10:00 AM PDT or until sold out. Currently 68% sold out 8:26 PDT
Sold Out as of 9:30 AM PDT

Last edited by pl1 : 07-14-2010 at 11:29 AM.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #6139
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Western Digital Updates DVR Expander

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #6140
richsadams

So the new Expander has eSATA and USB ports. Wonder how many support calls to TiVo that will generate?
Old 07-16-2010, 03:17 AM   #6141
richsadams

WD 1TB Hard Drive $59.99

Newegg has the 1TB WD WD10EARS for $59.99 using code EMCYVZT34. Includes free shipping! Sale runs through 07/18/10.

http://bit.ly/dxRjNl
Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #6142
rich111

1TB Replace of 500GB Drive in TivoHD

I have purchased this from NewEgg a 1TB WD10EARS (Mfg Date 12/2009). I am replacing a now noisy 500 GB drive that is about 3 years old.
Questions as follows, do I need to run both Wdidle3 and Hddscan on this drive? Must both these operations be done by connecting direct to Sata connectors on my PC and running under DOS? Little uncomfortable with this (PC is Window 7).
Once having done this to the new drive, I would like to use 2 Sata to USB connectors to copy/transfer files from existing 500 GB to new 1TB. Any estimate on how long copy of about 60 Hours of programs would take?
Thanks
rich111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #6143
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich111 View Post
I have purchased this from NewEgg a 1TB WD10EARS (Mfg Date 12/2009). I am replacing a now noisy 500 GB drive that is about 3 years old.
Questions as follows, do I need to run both Wdidle3 and Hddscan on this drive? Must both these operations be done by connecting direct to Sata connectors on my PC and running under DOS? Little uncomfortable with this (PC is Window 7).
Once having done this to the new drive, I would like to use 2 Sata to USB connectors to copy/transfer files from existing 500 GB to new 1TB. Any estimate on how long copy of about 60 Hours of programs would take?
Thanks
I'll let Rich speak to the specifics of what you need to do. But one thing that can help you feel better about your PC is to disconnect that drive entirely as soon as you crack open the case. Label the wires if there are enough loose ones to confuse you. This means you don't have that as a destination to write a backup image, if you wanted one, but it also means there's no way to mess up that drive/OS.

I have a very old spare IDE drive without much life in it left. It's yours if you'd like me to ship it to you (two actually, if anyone else is interested). You can mail me back a check for the shipping amount. It would allow you to write a .bak image of your TiVo, then when all is said and done, mount that drive with your Windows 7 drive and copy it to there. PM me your address if you're interested. Should be about $10 shipping, USPS. Not sure how much for other carriers.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #6144
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich111 View Post
Thanks
I got two WD10EARS drives from the FRYS store and they, too, were 25 DEC 2009.

I did run wdidle3 and hddscan as I did not want to put the THD back together and then find that I had to run the "fixes". You will not have to do the copy again, but I did not want to remove the THD from my TV area again.

I did use the bootable wdidle3 ISO in the FAQ and booted from a CD. The drive, however was connected to the SATA port. One note...I kept getting hangs on this if I used any other command first. What I found was that when I booted, if the first thing I did was a wdidle3 /D, all was OK. The message then showed the time was then set to 3720 seconds or 62 minutes. If I played with any other command first, the above would hang. The first command would work, but I found that I could only do 1 command per boot. No problem.

The next item I did was hddscan for windows. I set AAM to 128. This will work in USB, but as long as the drive was on the SATA port, I ran it anyway. One of these upgrades was for a Bedroom THD, and I must say that it is silent! Quieter than the original 160GB drive TIVO had in it!

I am not sure how long the copy will take with the 2 USB ports but no matter what you do, remove the deleted shows first! It can take some time to copy these deleted shows and I bet you do not want them anyway!

Last edited by MPSAN : 07-16-2010 at 02:34 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #6145
Grandpasteve

Follow-up, sorry if this is the wrong forum

Quote:
Anyway my cable card (M) is working, but not decoding HBO and Encore channels. I tried 3 different phone reps to get it working, but I ended up accepting a truck roll for Saturday.
The truck roll went fine, the field rep called in the pairing to his dispatcher and that was that. No charge for the visit.

Now I'm ready to fill up that 1TB of space - awesome!
Old 07-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #6146
reubanks

WD20EADS for $97!

Fry's has the WD20EADS 2GB drive on sale for $97! It's "recertified" and only has a 90 day warranty, but it's under a hundred bucks!

http://www.frys.com/product/6299020?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Which horseman is this?

Randy
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #6147
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubanks View Post
Fry's has the WD20EADS 2GB drive on sale for $97! It's "recertified" and only has a 90 day warranty, but it's under a hundred bucks!
Nice find Randy. That is a very good price for a 2TB drive, but I've always valued data (even TiVo recordings) way too much to trust a reconditioned hard drive. For about twenty bucks more I'd go with a brand new one...but that's just me.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #6148
donnoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubanks View Post

http://www.frys.com/product/6299020?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Which horseman is this?

Randy
Dell has a today only special on a new version of this drive for $99.99 with free shipping.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...6296A0A1A0A0B3
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #6149
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
Dell has a today only special on a new version of this drive for $99.99 with free shipping.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...6296A0A1A0A0B3
Sah-weet!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:35 AM   #6150
TiVo Bob W

Quote:
Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ

18. Can I upgrade the built-in hard drive with a larger model without affecting my eSATA drive?

You can do that with the MFSLive bootCD if you are still using the original, factory-installed TiVo drive. You cannot do this if the internal drive was previously upgraded. Note this capability is not yet supported in WinMFS, but it could be added in a future version. Credit to spike2k5 for this answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
For more info you could visit Spike's website and forum (Spike is the author of winMFS, MFSLive, etc.)...

http://www.mfslive.org
http://www.mfslive.org/forums/

Let us know how it goes!
Well, I gave it a try over the weekend with no success. Tried two different ways. I have posted my results and errors over at http://www.mfslive.org/forums/viewto...e54d7a80c6301b

Thanks, Bob