TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #6091
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukit View Post
Glad you managed to get it to work eventually.

As I recall, wdidle3 /D seems to work only with the latest version of wdidle3. I think it is 1.05.

I believe a member here (rocko?) updated a bootable ISO image with the latest version of wdidle3.

In my case, I was not able to make wdidle3 work at all with a laptop with an esata dock. I had to connect a WD20EARS to a desktop with a sata on a MoBo. YMMV.
Actually I had tried both and got the 1 command hang on both 1.05 and 1.03. I got it working with 1.03.

Still wonder about those 2 reboots, but so far it is running OK...for now. I am thinking of doing the copy again from the original 160GB drive to the still unused (but I have run wdidle3 and AAM) drive I bought for the bedroom. I bought two WD10EARS and could try that...put the one that had 2 reboots in the bedroom after doing a copy from the bedroom 160GB drive. Perhaps I am worrying about nothing. Still, the problem would either move or they would both work.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:07 AM   #6092
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

I thought $119 seemed high. Newegg.com has the WD10EARS for just $70 shipped. Some people don't like how they secure their OEM drives, but I've had only one DOA in over 20 drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136490

ETA: This one looks good too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152173
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #6093
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
I thought $119 seemed high. Newegg.com has the WD10EARS for just $70 shipped. Some people don't like how they secure their OEM drives, but I've had only one DOA in over 20 drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136490

ETA: This one looks good too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152173
The WD10EARS would be a good option for an internal upgrade (it's certainly cheaper...and the way to go IMHO), but I don't think that's what the OP was wanting to do and why he's looking at a 1TB My DVR Expander. He has a TiVoHD so using the WD drive in an external enclosure isn't a P&P option either.

The Sammy drives have had a very mixed to failed TiVo upgrade history. That's why they aren't on the FAQ's recommended list and probably s/b avoided.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #6094
reubanks

WD20EARS for $119.99 w/Free Shipping

This isn't the cheapest I have seen 2TB drives, but it's a good deal.

Even more so when you figure in the free shipping!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-514-_-Product

Randy
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #6095
bowlingblogger

I'll wind up paying about $95 for this Hitachi Deskstar 2TB after the $20 mail-in rebate and Bing Cashback with TigerDirect. I'll be using it in my computer since the consensus seems to be that Hitachi removed AAM adjustment capability from the newer builds--but it's still a good deal for anyone who wants to brave the noise in their Tivo:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...070&CatId=4357
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #6096
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingblogger View Post
I'll wind up paying about $95 for this Hitachi Deskstar 2TB after the $20 mail-in rebate and Bing Cashback with TigerDirect. I'll be using it in my computer since the consensus seems to be that Hitachi removed AAM adjustment capability from the newer builds--but it's still a good deal for anyone who wants to brave the noise in their Tivo:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...070&CatId=4357
*Shaking head* Isn't that amazing...<$100 for 2TB. Where will it all end?
Old 07-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #6097
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
*Shaking head* Isn't that amazing...<$100 for 2TB. Where will it all end?
Think it will end with our empty wallets and fat tivos.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #6098
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Think it will end with our empty wallets and fat tivos.
"And so he did speak and verily I say unto you each and every one, what he spoke was the truth"
Old 07-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #6099
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

"... Further From The Road"

There's a saying here in Arizona, that having four-wheel-drive just means you can get stuck further from the road.

Having lost the 1 TB drive in a THD recently, I can say with certainty that having a very large hard drive (or two) just means you can lose more recordings when it goes south.

There's something to be said for keeping the original 160 GB drive in the THD and having fewer recordings at risk.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #6100
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Houston, We have a Tivo.

~~~~~

Old 07-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #6101
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
There's a saying here in Arizona, that having four-wheel-drive just means you can get stuck further from the road.

Having lost the 1 TB drive in a THD recently, I can say with certainty that having a very large hard drive (or two) just means you can lose more recordings when it goes south.

There's something to be said for keeping the original 160 GB drive in the THD and having fewer recordings at risk.
Well, if you have more than 1 THD with 1 TB drives, as I do, just configure them as RAID 1. I will NEVER use 157 hours of HD per TIVO, so what I do is this. If there is a show or series, like V, and I do not want to miss it or chance having a few shows in the series lost, I do the record on both TIVO's...you know, like a RAID 1 TIVO. I do this especially with a series we want to watch all at once like V. This also gets around any copy flags...who needs MRV when RAID 1 works?
Old 07-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #6102
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Well, if you have more than 1 THD with 1 TB drives, as I do, just configure them as RAID 1.
I've been burned by TiVo drive failure too many times so I take precautions.

Since that 1 TB THD went south, I decided to back up each of the THD boxes. I now have a Mac dedicated to running iTivo to automatically download every show recorded by either THD. I run iTivo under two accounts at once, one account to back up each THD.

iTivo allows one to "subscribe" to a list of shows and any new recordings of those show that appear in the TiVo NPL get automatically downloaded to the Mac. So, one user account subscribes to one THD and another account subscribes to the other. I keep both accounts logged in for now. I have a second Mac that is currently a web/mail server but will soon be free to be a second iTivo backup box. Then I'll have separate Macs to back up each THD.

I've been backing up stuff on my Mac all along, but not automatically. We're just now getting around to watching the last season of "24" and have yet to start the last season of "Lost." These are backed up on two different drives each through an external eSATA enclosure that accepts bare drives.

So, much of what was on the crashed 1 TB drive was in fact not lost completely because it was backed up elsewhere. But I still lost a lot.

In addition to my two THDs, I have multiple Series 2 SA TiVos: one for NBC, one for ABC, one for CBS, one for Fox, one for ScyFy and another for miscellaneous stuff. TNT, USA, etc. shows are typically season passed on two or more of the various DVRs so we are pretty much assured of getting everything we want to record. But my wife sets up a lot of stuff on the THDs without also setting up a Season pass on another DVR as well, so she lost a bunch when the 1 TB drive became corrupted.

Bottom line, yeah, I already record important stuff in more than one place. But the THDs have proven so unreliable that I created the iTiVo backup. Soon I'll have separate iTiVo backups for each THD.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #6103
MPSAN

Well, I could have done that too, but Verizon FIOS/Frontier added a CCI Byte of 0x02, so that was the end of that. Only some cable channels are still in the clear + the OTA stations.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #6104
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
I've been burned by TiVo drive failure too many times so I take precautions.
I keep telling you...invest in a priest.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #6105
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I keep telling you...invest in a priest.
Did the devil make him do it?

~~~~~

Old 07-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #6106
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Did the devil make him do it?
I don't think so, but based on his posts about his ongoing trials and tribulations I'm almost certain that his TiVo's, his house or perhaps his whole neighborhood is possessed!
Old 07-04-2010, 05:06 AM   #6107
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Omen!

~~~~~

Old 07-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #6108
moxie1617

Divorced after 3yrs and a month

Got rid of my S1 DirectTivo a few months back and now use a D* HR23 as the main recorder for HD. My S3 was only used for HD OTA(about 80% of our season passes) and is now relegated to catching HD programming when both tuners on the D* tuner are utilized. I also use it for my wifes cooking shows that get burned to DVD and shows and movies for the new iPad. If another show like 24 or Lost comes along I will use it to capture all the episodes so we can have a marathon viewing. Space isn't an issue thanks to TTG. I transer the shows to my PC, remove the commercials and move them back for the marathon. (We still have a season and a half of Lost to watch and the last season of Heros to watch.)

Because of this, I divorced my 500GB DB35 in an Antec case that was installed in May 2007 using the old kickstart method. The divorce went smooth.

Thanks again to spike2K5 for finding the kickstart method, bfdtv for documenting and supporting this thread, and richsadams for mentoring the thread. If I need more space in the future I be back for an internal drive upgrade.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #6109
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post
Because of this, I divorced my 500GB DB35 in an Antec case that was installed in May 2007 using the old kickstart method. The divorce went smooth.
Glad to hear things are working well. It's interesting to note that your Seagate DB35 was still alive and kicking after more than three years (yikes...has it been that long?) when the owners of the TiVo approved WD My DVR Expanders of the same size appear to be lucky to get 18 months of service of out them. After upgrading the hard drive in our Series3 I took our 500GB DB35/MX-1 and used it as a backup drive for one of our computers...it's still going strong!

BTW, is the iPad awesome or what? I'm posting this from mine in a hotel!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #6110
moxie1617

I'll being using the 500GB DB35the same way. At the time I did the DB35 for the Tivo I got a Seagate NS version and another Antec case for offsite backups of the office and home computers. Now, I'll dedicate the DB35 for the home and the NS for the office. Also, the three years flew by.

The iPad is my 1st Apple product and it is awesome. I didn't get the 3G version but every hotel we stay at has wireless so it should be a ton better than hauling around my notebook. While on vacation I had only used the notebook for maps, restuarant reservations and other stuff now available on the iPad.

I'm using Tivo Desktop for transfer and the transcoding to the iPad and have got it set up now to do the auto transfer and transcoding. Will see how that works. The iPad sits up perfectly on our exercise machine so she catches up with her show while working out.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #6111
accdealer

does anybody know where or how i can get the Mr. B > than 1tb image for my tivo hd?
accdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #6112
TiVo Bob W

Quote:
Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ

18. Can I upgrade the built-in hard drive with a larger model without affecting my eSATA drive?

You can do that with the MFSLive bootCD if you are still using the original, factory-installed TiVo drive. You cannot do this if the internal drive was previously upgraded. Note this capability is not yet supported in WinMFS, but it could be added in a future version. Credit to spike2k5 for this answer.
I have an S3 that I added an 1TB eSATA drive to last year. I would now like to replace my stock internal drive with a 1TB also. Is it possible to do this and keep my recordings? If so, could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Bob
Old 07-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #6113
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo Bob W View Post
I have an S3 that I added an 1TB eSATA drive to last year. I would now like to replace my stock internal drive with a 1TB also. Is it possible to do this and keep my recordings? If so, could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Bob
Hi Bob. Unfortunately there isn't a way to combine the contents of an eSATA drive and an internal drive to a single drive. The best option is to move the recordings you want to keep (providing they aren't copy protected) to a computer using TiVo Desktop, KMTTG, etc. and then back again after you've upgraded. Probably not what you wanted to hear today, but hope that helps a little.

Also note that once you replace your internal hard drive you can no longer connect an eSATA drive via plug and play. You'll need to "marry" your eSATA drive to your new internal drive using winMFS. That can be done while you're performing the internal drive upgrade. Just be sure to read and follow all of the steps on the first post of this FAQ.

2TB's? When will you ever find the time to watch all of those recordings? Happy upgrading!
Old 07-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #6114
TiVo Bob W

Quote:
Hi Bob. Unfortunately there isn't a way to combine the contents of an eSATA drive and an internal drive to a single drive.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I would like to replace my internal drive with a 1TB and keep the eSATA drive and keep the recording if possible. The FAQ appears to indicate this is possible as quoted in #18. I am just having a problem finding info on how to do it.

Bob
Old 07-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #6115
richsadams

Quote:
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I would like to replace my internal drive with a 1TB and keep the eSATA drive and keep the recording if possible. The FAQ appears to indicate this is possible as quoted in #18. I am just having a problem finding info on how to do it.

Bob
Oh, got it now. Yes, that can be done because you are essentially going to copy everything from your original hard drive to the new one and then expand the partitions using the MFSLive boot CD. The eSATA drive shouldn't know the difference. That said I have never tried it so I don't want to give any misleading advice, but I know others here have done it and hopefully will chime in.

For more info you could visit Spike's website and forum (Spike is the author of winMFS, MFSLive, etc.)...

http://www.mfslive.org
http://www.mfslive.org/forums/

Let us know how it goes!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #6116
watermo

Quote:
Oh, got it now. Yes, that can be done because you are essentially going to copy everything from your original hard drive to the new one and then expand the partitions using the MFSLive boot CD. The eSATA drive shouldn't know the difference. That said I have never tried it so I don't want to give any misleading advice, but I know others here have done it and hopefully will chime in.

For more info you could visit Spike's website and forum (Spike is the author of winMFS, MFSLive, etc.)...

http://www.mfslive.org
http://www.mfslive.org/forums/

Let us know how it goes!

will check mfslive . thanks.
watermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #6117
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:

Thanks, Bob
NO!!!! The upgrade of the OEM internal drive after an external is added (without 3rd party MFS tools) cannot be done*!

I got the same wrong advice as you did - that you can use WinMFS - and I asked BEFORE I added the external drive if I could upgrade the internal drive later. Then after I made the quick external add I was told that the internal upgrade cannot be done because it is unknown what the partitions look like once they do an OEM marry.

http://www.mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1179

So I'm stuck with the 250GB OEM drive and my 1TB external until I'm ready to lose all of my content.

* If you don't mind losing the current content, of course, just remove the external and upgrade the internal drive first.

* There is a procedure to manually create the partitions on the new internal but you have to count cylinders and such and it's not for mere mortals.
http://www.mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike
I have not been able to figure out how plug and play marriage works for S3 and THD.

Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 07-10-2010 at 10:11 PM.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:12 AM   #6118
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
NO!!!! The upgrade of the OEM internal drive after an external is added (without 3rd party MFS tools) cannot be done*!

I got the same wrong advice as you did - that you can use WinMFS...
It sounds like you may have misread my advice as well as the OP's post in which he refers to Section IV, #18 of the FAQ. The FAQ specifically states that you cannot use winMFS to accomplish what the OP wants to do but that it can in fact be done using the MFSLive bootCD

Quote:
18. Can I upgrade the built-in hard drive with a larger model without affecting my eSATA drive?

You can do that with the MFSLive bootCD if you are still using the original, factory-installed TiVo drive. You cannot do this if the internal drive was previously upgraded. Note this capability is not yet supported in WinMFS, but it could be added in a future version. Credit to spike2k5 for this answer.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #6119
Sbmocp

Swap Size Setting

Is there any reason why the swap size shouldn't be set to > 128 on a 1TB internal drive upgrade? Would there be any harm in doing so? I've read about some TiVos having wierd issues with larger drives when swap is set to 128, and my own S2 DirecTiVos exhibited some strange behavior (random reboots, acting flaky when stored recording size grew larger) on 300+ Gb drives with 128. I'm thinking 256 or even 512 might be a good idea.
Sbmocp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #6120
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbmocp View Post
Is there any reason why the swap size shouldn't be set to > 128 on a 1TB internal drive upgrade? Would there be any harm in doing so? I've read about some TiVos having wierd issues with larger drives when swap is set to 128, and my own S2 DirecTiVos exhibited some strange behavior (random reboots, acting flaky when stored recording size grew larger) on 300+ Gb drives with 128. I'm thinking 256 or even 512 might be a good idea.
There is no "too high" here, I'm pretty sure. There were buggy old versions of the mfs software where anything > 128 really meant zero, which would be bad.

I've always used 500 or even more.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote